|German title||Ocean's Eleven|
|Original title||Ocean's Eleven|
|Country of production||United States|
Ocean's Eleven is a feature film made in 2001 by Steven Soderbergh . It is a remake of the film Frankie and his cronies from 1960, which was directed by Lewis Milestone and is also called Ocean's Eleven in the English-language original . The film belongs to the genre of heist movies .
Danny Ocean is paroled after serving several years in prison for theft. Immediately he prepares his next coup: In Las Vegas he wants to rob the safe under the casino hotel Bellagio , in which its owner Terry Benedict also keeps the money from his two other casinos, The Mirage and MGM Grand . More than 160 million dollars are in the underground vault, which is secured with every possible precaution. Because of the sensors in the ground around the 60 m deep bunker, there is no need to think about digging a tunnel. You can only carry the money out through the casino. Danny Ocean has come up with a clever plan for this in the prison cell.
First, he selects the right men to carry out the coup with him: his friend Rusty Ryan, the croupier Frank Catton, the British pyrotechnician Basher Tarr, the electronics expert Livingston Dell, the car hobbyists Turk and Virgil Malloy, the pickpocket Linus Caldwell and the Chinese acrobat Yen. Rusty also brings old Saul Bloom from Saint Petersburg , Florida. Danny and Rusty hope that entrepreneur Reuben Tishkoff will provide them with the financial means they need for the preparations. You fly to him in Las Vegas. Reuben doesn't want to know anything about it at first, but when the two tell him that it's about Terry Benedict's casinos, he joins the team. Benedict had just ruthlessly stolen his hotel in Las Vegas in order to blow it up and build a larger one in the same place.
Ocean's Eleven are spying out the affected casinos and above all checking the security precautions. Livingston Dell succeeds in wiring a screen to the camera surveillance system in the Bellagio . Using blueprints and descriptions, they set up a duplicate of the vault, where Yen practices how to move without touching the sensor-secured floor.
It was only when Rusty discovered Danny's ex-wife Tess at the Bellagio and found out that after the divorce she had started a new life as the curator of the picture gallery in Bellagio at the side of Terry Benedict, did he suspect that his friend was less concerned with the millions than with Tess leaves, whom he still loves and wants to win back. When confronted, Ocean admits this too.
On the scheduled evening, Rusty Ryan calls the casino owner to inform him that his safe is about to be robbed. Terry Benedict, who thinks his security systems are absolutely secure, does not believe this at first, but the attack can be seen on the screens in the surveillance center. Rusty suggests that he should let the gang with 80 million - half of the money from the safe - go unhindered through the casino and that the other 80 million should be left behind for him. If he doesn't play along or if the men are stopped from leaving the casino, all the money will be destroyed with incendiary bombs. Benedict agrees, but alerts the police and lets his people storm the van into which the money bags have been loaded at the airport. However, the vehicle was remote-controlled and the wallets only contain worthless notes. The video recordings of the robbery that were played to Benedict were from the reconstruction of the vault. Only now does the gang - disguised as a SWAT team of the police - clear out the real vault and run away under Benedict's eyes with the bags of their supposed equipment.
Danny already approached Tess beforehand and provoked an argument with Terry Benedict. He had his lover's ex-husband beat up by his people. Now he confronts him because he suspects him to have orchestrated the attack. However, the conversation is monitored by cameras and Tess observes the scene on a monitor: Danny indicates that he could try to get back the stolen money, but he demands Benedict renounce Tess. When he is spontaneously ready to do so, Tess understands how little she really means to Benedict and leaves him.
Danny has to go to jail again for six months because he violated his probation requirements by entering Nevada, but nobody can prove the robbery. He owns his share of the booty and has won Tess back. Rusty and Tess pick Danny up when he is released from prison. The film ends with the three driving away in the car and shortly afterwards two of Benedict's people follow them.
"Remake of the crook comedy 'Frankie and his cronies' (1960), which comes up with a captivating ensemble of actors and testifies to directorial mastery. In the modesty of not wanting to offer more than perfect entertainment, lies the extraordinary achievement of the cleverly composed film. "
On the first weekend played Ocean's 11 already 38.1 million US dollars one. The worldwide revenue is 451 million US dollars.
- A running gag of the film trilogy is that Yen only speaks Chinese, but is still understood by everyone and is answered in English (or German). Rusty also has something to eat or drink in hand in many settings. However, he never finishes anything, but always puts it down first.
- The piano piece to be heard at the end of the film is Clair de Lune from the Suite bergamasque by the French composer Claude Debussy and was recorded by the Philadelphia Orchestra .
- The Hotel Bellagio , The Mirage and the MGM Grand Hotel actually belong to one group, namely MGM Resorts International , based in Las Vegas.
- Due to his clothes and his villa, the character Reuben Tishkoff is close to Sam Rothstein from the film Casino .
- The German Film and Media Assessment (FBW) in Wiesbaden awarded the film the rating “valuable”.
- Holly Marie Combs , Topher Grace , Joshua Jackson , Barry Watson and Shane West play themselves and at the beginning of the film they get poker lessons from Rusty, who earns money with it.
- Wladimir Klitschko and Lennox Lewis box against each other in the ring of the MGM Grand Hotel. You can also see them when they trigger the demolition of Reuben's hotel.
- Siegfried and Roy , as well as Angie Dickinson and Henry Silva sit in the audience of the boxing match. Dickinson played in Frankie and his cronies the wife of Danny, Silva one of the "cronies".
The sequel Ocean's 12 was released on December 16, 2004. Its sequel Ocean's 13 , the third part, was released in German cinemas on June 7, 2007. All the actors known from the first part are again part of the party. A female-cast spin-off called Ocean's 8 was released by Warner Bros. in the US on June 8, 2018 , and hit German theaters on June 21, 2018.
The plot is parodied in the GTA San Andreas mission Breaking the Bank at Caligula’s .
Director Steven Soderbergh was not satisfied with Detlef Bierstedt as George Clooney's standard German voice because of the different timbres . Martin Umbach was finally selected through an extensive casting in Hamburg, Berlin and Munich .
The German dubbing was based on a dialogue book and the dialogue direction by Frank Schaff on behalf of Interopa Film GmbH in Berlin , which ensured that the other actors were cast again for the assigned voice actors.
|Daniel "Danny" Ocean||George Clooney||Martin Umbach|
|Rusty Ryan||Brad Pitt||Tobias Master|
|Linus Caldwell||Matt Damon||Matthias Hinze|
|Terry Benedict||Andy García||Stephan Schwartz|
|Tess Ocean||Julia Roberts||Daniela Hoffmann|
|Basher Tarr||Don Cheadle||Dietmar miracle|
|Reuben Tishkoff||Elliott Gould||Roland Hemmo|
|Frank Catton||Bernie Mac||Jan Odle|
|Saul Bloom||Carl Reiner||Friedrich G. Beckhaus|
|Virgil Malloy||Casey Affleck||Björn Schalla|
|Turk Malloy||Scott Caan||Gerrit Schmidt-Foss|
|Livingston Dell||Eddie Jemison||Hans Hohlbein|
|Bulldog||Scott L. Schwartz||Andreas Hosang|
|Barry Watson||Barry Watson||Kim Hasper|
|Shane West||Shane West||Simon hunter|
|Holly Marie Combs||Holly Marie Combs||Melanie Hinze|
|Joshua Jackson||Joshua Jackson||Dennis Schmidt-Foss|
|Topher Grace||Topher Grace||Timmo Niesner|
- Ocean's Eleven in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Ocean's Eleven at Rotten Tomatoes (English)
- Ocean's Eleven in the online movie database
- Film poster, photos, short reviews in German ( memento from April 30, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) in the Dirk Jasper FilmLexikon
- Official website in English
- Release for Ocean's Eleven . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry , April 2005 (PDF; test number: 89 433 V / DVD).
- Age rating for Ocean's Eleven . Youth Media Commission .
- Ocean's Eleven. In: Lexicon of International Films . Film service , accessed June 5, 2017 .
- Ocean's Eleven. Retrieved January 7, 2020 .
- Ocean's Eleven In: fbw-filmbeval.com , accessed April 13, 2018.
- Ocean's Eleven. In: synchronkartei.de. German synchronous index , accessed on December 25, 2011 .