A private collection is a private collection , mostly of cultural goods, which is not made up of public funds . Often the term refers to a collection of works of art , in contrast to the collection of an art museum .
Private collections play an important role in many areas: private individuals collect paintings, decorative arts products / design objects, carpets, postage stamps, coins, books, manuscripts and fragments of manuscripts, toys, automobiles, technical devices and many other objects. Large state museums, mostly founded in the 19th century, owe important holdings to private collections that they received or bought as gifts.
In Germany, the well-known private collections in the field of fine arts whose holdings are on public display include:
- Berggruen Museum
- Museum Art.Plus
- Brandhorst Museum
- Boros Collection
- Frieder Burda Collection
- Art space Alexander Bürkle
- Falckenberg Collection
- Collection FER Collection
- Friedrich Christian Flick Collection
- Collection Sophie and Emanuel Fohn
- G2 art gallery
- Goetz Collection
- Art space Grässlin
- Museum of Contemporary Art - Hurrle Collection
- Heinrich Kirchhoff
- Long Foundation
- Peter Ludwig
- Collection Fritz P. Mayer - Leipzig School
- me Collectors Room Berlin
- Museum of Imagination
- Philara collection
- Praunsches cabinet
- Reinking Collection
- Museum knight
- SØR Rusche Collection Oelde / Berlin
- Lothar Schirmer Collection
- Schroth collection
- Julia Stoschek Collection
- Barthold Suermondt
- Wallraf-Richartz-Museum & Fondation Corboud
- Thomas Walther Collection
- Walter Art Museum
- Collection Maximilian and Agathe Weishaupt
- Weishaupt Art Gallery
- Würth Collection
- Klaus Eberhard (nuclear physicist) in the Galerie Hotel Leipziger Hof
- Karl Ziegler in the Mülheim an der Ruhr art museum
- The Liechtenstein Museum in Vienna is one of the largest private art collections in the world.
- The Liaunig Museum can be found in Carinthia .
- The Angerlehner Museum with around 2,500 works was opened in September 2013 in Thalheim near Wels in Upper Austria .
- The Vorarlberg Wemhöner-Grabher Collection specializes in icons.
- Erhard Witzel Collection, Quadrart Dornbirn , Dornbirn - contemporary art
- Formerly from 1999 to 2016: Essl Collection in Klosterneuburg near Vienna , it comprises almost 7,000 works of contemporary art .
- The Leopold Museum, known for its extraordinary Schiele and Klimt collection, opened in Vienna in 2001 .
- The Fondation Beyeler is one of the most important collections of classical modernism in Europe.
- In Winterthur, the Oskar Reinhart Museum and the Oskar Reinhart Collection house important works of art from the collections of the collector Oskar Reinhart from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- The Daros Latinamerica Collection in Zurich is the largest private collection of contemporary Latin American art in Europe.
- With the Fondation Maeght in Saint-Paul-de-Vence, there is an important collection of works of classical modernism.
- The State Museum of Contemporary Art (Thessaloniki) houses the George Costakis collection with works of Russian constructivism.
- The Benaki Museum has a private museum originated in an art collection.
- the DESTE Foundation by Dakis Joannou
- George Economou Collection , the art collection of George Economou
- The Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice is a well-known private collection.
- The Fomento Cultural Banamex has one of the largest private collections in the country.
- Museo Soumaya
- The entrepreneur Grażyna Kulczyk is considered to be the greatest collector of modern art.
- The Museu Calouste Gulbenkian in Lisbon is an important private art collection.
- The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid is one of the most important private collections.
- Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
Are known above all
Private collections or museums that have emerged from such collections include:
- the Frick Collection
- the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
- the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York
- the foundation of the National Gallery of Art in Washington , donated by Andrew W. Mellon
- and the Phillips Collection in Washington
- the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston
- the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, Massachusetts
- the J. Paul Getty Museum in Malibu and Los Angeles
Companies build their own museums, often initially as collections of reference objects from their own production. Well-known examples are:
- Elevator Museum of Lochbühler in Mannheim-Seckenheim
- Transport Museum Nuremberg of the Deutsche Bahn AG in Nuremberg
- Gerda Ridler: Collected privately - presented to the public. About a new museum trend in art collections. transcript Verlag, Bielefeld 2012, ISBN 978-3-8376-2227-0
- Skadi Heckmüller: private access - private art collections in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Distance Verlag, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-942405-08-9
- The fruits of 30 years of collecting. In: Courier. September 13, 2013.