Penny McLean (* 4. November 1946 in Klagenfurt as Gertrude Wirschinger ) is an Austrian singer and author . She became known in the 1970s with the group Silver Convention and also as a solo singer with the song Lady Bump .
Gertrude Wirschinger grew up with her stepfather, the chief physician of a mental hospital in Klagenfurt . Her biological father was a lawyer and honorary senator in Munich. After her musical training ( piano , flute , guitar and singing ), she trained as an educator in Munich in the mid-1960s . In 1967 she married the composer and actor Holger Münzer .
In 1965 she had solo appearances under her real name Gertrude Wirschinger, from 1966 to 1969 she performed together with her husband as the duo "Holger & Tjorven". The repertoire consisted of international folk songs and chansons as well as songs composed by her husband, with texts by z. B. Elisabeth Hauptmann (granddaughter of Gerhart Hauptmann ) and Charly Niessen . The duo performed in restaurants in Schwabing such as the “Schwabinger Nest”, the “ New Catacomb ” reopened by Werner Finck , the “ Simplizissimus ”, “Bei Nowack” and the “Gisela” as well as the “ Schwabinger Woche ”.
In addition to three appearances by the duo in the Talentschuppen Baden-Baden, there were appearances in the group "MTH Singers" (MTH = Münzer / Tjorven / Holger) and nationwide monthly guest performances with chansons and pop music in discos .
In 1972 the marriage was divorced and Gertrude Münzer published as "Barbi Münzer" the titles Bananendampferkapitän and Acapulcobanjopolka and other singles as "Barbra". Then she founded the band "Penny Box", also "Penny Explosion", from which she derived her later pseudonym "Penny McLean". The producer Michael Kunze got her a record deal and created the duo "Barbra & Helmut".
Breakthrough with Silver Convention
Gertrude Münzer then worked in Munich as a background singer and in 1975 became part of the group " Silver Convention ". With the disco wave, the women's trio with Fly, Robin, Fly reached number 1 on the US Billboard charts (more than 1 million records sold in the USA) and were able to repeat this success with Get Up And Boogie .
Michael Kunze received a Grammy in 1976 for his Silver Convention productions. With Telegram , the group performed at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1977 and reached 8th place. After that, commercial success declined - the individual members of Silver Convention went their own way. Gertrude Münzer took the pseudonym "Penny McLean" and sang solo under this name.
In 1975 Lady Bump appeared ; the single reached number 1 on the charts and gold status in Germany. At the same time she helped the bump dance to become a fashion dance for a few years . The title 1, 2, 3, 4 ... Fire! became another top ten hit in 1976.
Penny McLean recorded other singles such as Dance, Bunny-Honey, Dance and Zwischen Zwei Gefühlen (German version of Torn between two lovers ) and many others, but after 1977 she could no longer place herself in the charts. In 1979 she took part in the Luxembourg preliminary decision of the Eurovision Song Contest with the project "Tut Ench Amun" .
After that, she was seen occasionally as an actress, for example in The Fantasticks in Munich's “Theater Am Einlaß”.
In 1982 Phillips published the song When dreams get wings , composed by her together with Dieter Bohlen , it achieved a respectable success.
Work as a writer
From the 1980s Penny McLean appeared as an author of non-fiction books on numerology and esotericism . She lives in Munich and imparts her theories in seminars, courses and lectures that she holds throughout the German-speaking area.
- Contacts with your Guardian Spirit , 1988, ISBN 3-8138-0139-X (re-publications: Gondrom, 2001, ISBN 3-8112-1313-X ; Verlag Peter Erd , 2004, ISBN 3-8138-1018-6 ).
- Testimony of Guardian Spirits , Erd, 1989, ISBN 3-8138-0142-X (republics: Gondrom, 2002, ISBN 3-8112-1314-8 ; Erd, 2004, ISBN 3-8138-1019-4 ).
- Loneliness is a longing , Erd, 1990, ISBN 3-8138-0164-0 .
- Adeline and the Fourth Dimension. Roman , Heyne, 1990, ISBN 3-453-03677-8 (Erd, 2002, ISBN 3-8138-0049-0 ).
- Everyday life with guardian spirits , Erd, 1991, ISBN 3-8138-0220-5 (re-publications: Gondrom, 2002, ISBN 3-8112-1315-6 ; Erd, 2004, ISBN 3-8138-1020-8 ).
- I am my destiny , Erd, 1994, ISBN 3-8138-0302-3 .
- The Secret of Level 12: Hermit's Exercises , Erd, 1994, ISBN 3-8138-0311-2 .
- We are by your side , Heyne, 1996, ISBN 3-453-09553-7 .
- The invisible third: The secret of human energy fields , Lübbe, 1997, ISBN 3-404-70101-1 .
- Numerology and Fate , Hugendubel, 2000, ISBN 3-89631-380-0 .
- Numerology and names: your success is predictable , Hugendubel, 2001, ISBN 3-7205-2250-4 (Droemer Knaur, 2003, ISBN 3-426-87192-0 ).
- Der Schattenspringer , Erd, 2002, ISBN 3-8138-0459-3 .
- Interview with fate , Knaur, 2003, ISBN 3-426-66672-3 .
- The true prophet answers all questions of fate , Hugendubel, 2003, ISBN 3-7205-2430-2 .
- Das Arbeitsbuch zur Numerologie , Hugendubel, 2004, ISBN 3-7205-2542-2 .
- Guardian Spirits - On the nature and work of our soul companions , Hugendubel 2006, ISBN 3-7205-2732-8 .
- The secret of the rhythms of fate: How 7-year steps determine our life , Knaur, 2007, ISBN 3-426-66573-5 .
- Let go of what holds you tight: The art of being yourself , Ansata, 2010, ISBN 978-3-7787-7432-8 .
- No credit from the universe !: A course in conscious shaping of life and destiny , Ansata, 2014, ISBN 978-3-7787-7494-6 .
- Died is far from dead. What really awaits us in the afterlife , Ansata, 2018, ISBN 978-3-7787-7495-3 .
- 1975 and 1976 Silver Bravo Otto
- Gold record in Germany for the single Lady Bump
- Penny McLean at Discogs (English)
- Penny McLean on MusicBrainz (English)
- Penny McLean in the Internet Movie Database (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Münzer, Gertrude (real name); Wirschinger, Gertrude (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian singer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 4, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Klagenfurt|