|Table of Contents:|
Saturday 1 January 2022
- Berlin / Germany : A general ban on the killing of male day-old chicks , the extension of the compulsory deposit for beverage cans and one-way bottles and the amendment of the packaging law , which prohibits the sale of certain plastic bags , come into force.
- Berlin / Germany : Patricia Schlesinger becomes the new chairman of ARD in place of Tom Buhrow .
- Bern / Switzerland : Ignazio Cassis succeeds Guy Parmelin as Federal President .
- Brussels / Belgium : France takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from Slovenia .
- Frankfurt am Main / Germany : Donata Hopfen succeeds Christian Seifert at the head of the DFL .
- Gonaïves / Haiti : During celebrations for Haitian Independence Day, an attempt on Prime Minister Ariel Henry 's life in front of the cathedral in Gonaïves fails.
- Helsinki / Finland : Finnish President Sauli Niinistö contradicts Russia 's demands never to join NATO . It is Finland's right to join the military alliance if Finland wants to.
- Katra / India : At least 12 people are killed in a stampede at the Vaishno Devi temple .
- New York City / United States : Eric Adams takes office as mayor of the city , with Keechant Sewell as head of the city's police department .
- Vienna / Austria : Poland succeeds Sweden in chairing the OSCE .
- Vienna / Austria : Daniel Barenboim conducts the Vienna Philharmonic New Year 's Concert for the third time .
- Vienna / Austria : The new regulation of euthanasia comes into force.
- Vienna / Austria : The Karl Renner Institute announces the winners of the Bruno Kreisky Prize .
- International: Germany takes over the G7 presidency from the United Kingdom .
Sunday 2 January 2022
- Cape Town / South Africa : The chamber of the National Assembly in the South African Parliament is destroyed by fire.
- Khartoum / Sudan : Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok submits his resignation.
- Washington, DC / United States : United States terminates trade agreements with Ethiopia , Guinea and Mali over human rights abuses .
- Schangaosen / Kazakhstan : Protests against rising gas prices begin.
Monday, January 3, 2022
Tuesday, January 4, 2022
- Almaty / Kazakhstan : In several cities there are mass protests against sharply increased prices for LPG, which many Kazakhs prefer to diesel and petrol. President Qassym-Jomart Tokayev declares a state of emergency and imposes curfews in the economic metropolis of Almaty, among others.
- Val di Fiemme / Italy : The 16th edition of the Tour de Ski comes to an end, the overall winners are Natalja Neprjajewa in the women's category and Johannes Høsflot Klæbo in the men's category.
- Siegen / Germany : One day after the accused train driver died, the proceedings pending at the regional court for the attack on the Rothaarbahn with a manhole cover in April 2019 were discontinued.
Wednesday, January 5, 2022
- Berlin / Germany : Sven Lehmann is appointed the first queer commissioner of the federal government.
- Nur-Sultan / Kazakhstan : Prime Minister Asqar Mamin and the government he heads resign in the wake of the 2022 protests in Kazakhstan . The background to this is mass protests against sharply increased prices for LPG. President Kassym - Jomart Tokayev appoints former Deputy Prime Minister Aelikhan Smajylov as acting head of government and puts a cap on the price of LPG in place.
- Dallas / USA : Dirk Nowitzki 's player number #41 is no longer assigned ("retired") with the Dallas Mavericks in his honor . He is only the fourth player to receive this honor.
Thursday, January 6, 2022
- Bischofshofen / Austria : The Japanese Ryōyū Kobayashi wins the 70th Four Hills Tournament
- Vienna / Austria : Johann Marihart resigns as chairman of the supervisory board of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna .
Friday, January 7, 2022
- Lüdenscheid / Germany : The Autobahn GmbH des Bundes declares that the Rahmedetalbrücke on the Bundesautobahn 45 can never be used again due to structural damage.
- Brunswick / United States : In the criminal proceedings surrounding the murder of Ahmaud Arbery , the three accused are sentenced to life imprisonment.
Saturday 8 January 2022
Sunday 9 January 2022
- Beverly Hills / United States : Presentation of the 79th Golden Globe Awards
- Sydney / Australia : Félix Auger-Aliassime and Denis Shapovalov win the third edition of the ATP Cup for Canada .
- New York City / United States : A fire in a skyscraper in the Bronx borough kills numerous people.
Monday, January 10, 2022
- The Hague / Netherlands : Nine and a half months after the last general election , the new government led by incumbent Mark Rutte is sworn in .
- Managua / Nicaragua : Daniel Ortega is sworn in to his fifth presidency.
Tuesday, January 11, 2022
Wednesday, January 12, 2022
- Tehran / Iran : Franco-Iranian anthropologist Fariba Adelkhah arrested again and taken to Evin prison .
Thursday, January 13, 2022
- Koblenz / Germany : The Higher Regional Court sentences Anwar Raslan , a former colonel in the Syrian secret services, to life imprisonment for crimes against humanity , among other things.
- London / United Kingdom : Queen Elizabeth II withdraws all military honorary titles and royal patronage from her son Prince Andrew , who is accused of abuse allegations in the USA .
- Düsseldorf / Germany : The city of Düsseldorf returns the painting Foxes by Franz Marc to the heirs of the former Jewish owner.
Friday January 14, 2022
- Jeddah / Saudi Arabia : The 44th edition of the Dakar Rally comes to an end.
- St. Moritz / Switzerland : Martins Dukurs in the men and Kimberley Bos in the women become European champions in skeleton .
Saturday 15 January 2022
- Nukuʻalofa / Tonga : An eruption of the underwater volcano Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha'apai on the territory of the island nation of Tonga leads to the emergence of meter-high tsunami waves that flooded numerous houses, cars and streets throughout the country.
- Colleyville / United States : hostage taking in a synagogue
Sunday 16 January 2022
- St. Moritz / Switzerland : The Bobsleigh World Cup comes to an end with the Bobsleigh European Championships .
- Tallinn / Estonia : Last day of the European figure skating championship
- Serbia : Constitutional referendum ( article at :en )
- Saarbrücken / Germany : The 43rd Max Ophüls Prize Film Festival opens with the feature film Everything will Change by Marten Persiel .
Monday 17 January 2022
- Berlin / Germany : The German Federal Minister of Justice Marco Buschmann presents a draft for the abolition of paragraph 219 a, which makes advertising for the termination of pregnancy a punishable offence.
- Istanbul / Turkey : The more than four-year trial against the German journalist Meşale Tolu , who was accused of membership in a terrorist organization, ends with an acquittal.
- Zurich / Switzerland : Robert Lewandowski and Alexia Putellas are voted FIFA World Players of the Year , Thomas Tuchel FIFA World Coach of the Year .
- Abu Dhabi / UAE : Drone strikes target fuel trucks and an airport .
Tuesday, January 18, 2022
- Strasbourg / France : Maltese politician Roberta Metsola is elected President of the European Parliament after the death of David Sassoli . Pina Picierno , Eva Kaili , Evelyn Regner , Michal Šimečka and Roberts Zīle are newly elected to the fourteen Vice-Presidents .
Wednesday 19 January 2022
Thursday, January 20, 2022
- Munich / Germany : A report on the handling of cases of sexual abuse of children in the Catholic Diocese of Munich and Freising attests the former Archbishop and later Pope Benedict XVI. to have lied.
- Vienna / Austria : The draft law to introduce mandatory COVID-19 vaccination in Austria is approved by 137 of the 170 present (out of a total of 183) members of the National Council.
Friday, January 21, 2022
Saturday 22 January 2022
- Kitzbühel / Tirol : Dave Ryding surprisingly wins the slalom on the Ganslernhang . It is the first British World Cup winner ever in the history of the Alpine Ski World Cup .
Sunday 23 January 2022
- Yerevan / Armenia : President Armen Sarkissian announces his resignation.
- St. Moritz / Switzerland : The luge world cup comes to an end with the European Championships .
- Northern Cyprus : General Election ( English )
Monday, January 24, 2022
- Heidelberg / Germany : In a lecture hall of the University of Heidelberg in Neuenheimer Feld , an 18-year-old man runs amok and shoots a person and himself, four other people are seriously injured.
- London / UK : The UK High Court of Justice rules that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange can appeal his extradition to the US to the UK Supreme Court .
- Kiev / Ukraine : The first employees of the British Embassy in Kiev are flown out.
- Yaoundé / Cameroon : Eight people are killed in a stampede before an Africa Cup of Nations game.
- Ouagadougou / Burkina Faso : military coup ( English )
- Rome / Italy : Beginning of the election of the President ( Italian )
Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Wednesday 26 January 2022
Thursday, January 27, 2022
- Breslau/Wrocław : Re-inauguration of the baroque organ "Voice of Silesia" by Michael Engler , which was reconstructed for over 20 million złoty, in the Elisabeth Church with a concert by the Italian organist Lorenzo Ghielmi .
Friday, January 28, 2022
Saturday 29 January 2022
Sunday, January 30, 2022
- Budapest / Hungary : Final of the European Handball Championship
- Lisbon / Portugal : General Election
- Melbourne / Australia : The Australian Open is coming to an end.
- Park City / United States : Last day of the Sundance Film Festival .
Monday 31 January 2022
- Obituary January 2022 for deaths this month
- List of annually recurring days of remembrance and action in January
- Category for commemoration, celebration or action days in January
- The new Vice-Presidents and Quaestors of Parliament. In: europarl.europa.eu. January 18, 2021, retrieved January 20, 2021 .
- Theo Anders, Vanessa Gaigg, Jan Michael Marchart, Gabriele Scherndl: Large majority and loud protests: compulsory vaccination is a done deal. In: DerStandard.at . 20 January 2022, retrieved 20 January 2022 .
- UK pulls some embassy staff from Ukraine amid Russian threat. January 24, 2022. Retrieved January 24, 2022 (English).