At the beginning of the decade, the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 , which first appeared in the Chinese province of Wuhan , developed into a global pandemic. There are new kinds of hygiene regulations, which for example require the wearing of protective masks and a shutdown of public life, which includes business closings and the suspension of tourist trips. Numerous major events, including the European Football Championship and the Olympic Games, will also be canceled in 2020 . Training and working life are shifting to the digital area, where offers such as home office and video conferencing are used instead of the presence service .
The decade is often referred to as the “ 2020s ” or “ twenties ”.
- Decade of Small Farmers ( UN ), 2019–2028
- Decade of the Exploration of the Sea for Sustainable Development (UN), 2021–2030
- Decade of Indigenous Languages (UN), 2022–2032
Events (partly expected)
- 2020: January 7th: Inauguration of the Federal Government Kurz II in Austria, a coalition government consisting of the Austrian People's Party and the Greens .
- 2020: January 31: the United Kingdom leaves the European Union .
- 2020: March 27th: North Macedonia joins NATO as the 30th member .
- 2020: May 27th: The riots begin in Minneapolis after the unarmed African American George Floyd was killed by a police officer.
- 2020: August 9th: After the controversial victory of Aljaksandr Lukashenka in the presidential election in Belarus , protests break out .
- 2020: November 3: Presidential , Senate and House elections in the United States.
- 2024: November 5: Presidential election in the United States and Congressional election in the United States.
- 2020: The COVID-19 pandemic will lead to the 2020 economic crisis .
- 2020: Bulgaria and Croatia join Exchange Rate Mechanism II on July 10th .
- 2020: Australia's bushfires will continue in January.
- 2020: On January 8th, 176 people died when a Ukraine International Airlines plane was shot down in Tehran.
- 2020: January 24th: 41 people die in the earthquake in Turkey on January 24th, 2020 with a magnitude of 6.7; over 1600 are injured. The epicenter is in Elazığ Province .
- 2020: On March 22nd, the earthquake near Zagreb 2020 will occur . It claims one human life and seventeen injured.
- 2020: The ongoing global spread of the COVID-19 pandemic is putting health systems worldwide on alert.
- 2020: 32 people die in tornadoes and severe storms in the USA on Easter Sunday. The power went out in more than 1.3 million households.
- 2020: The Horn of Africa and Pakistan are hit by one of the worst plagues of locusts in decades.
- 2020: In Beirut, an explosion occurs in the port on August 4th .
- 2020: On February 19, 11 people died in a right-wing extremist terrorist attack in Hanau .
- 2020: October: Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) opens .
- 2022: Germany will phase out nuclear power completely by December 31st at the latest . The last three German nuclear power plants ( Isar 2 , Emsland and Neckarwestheim 2 ), all of them convoy pressurized water reactors with around 1400 megawatts of power each, will most likely be shut down and dismantled for good.
- 2025: Opening of Stuttgart 21 and the associated new Wendlingen – Ulm line .
- 2026: Completion of the Sagrada Família in the 100th year of death of the architect Antoni Gaudí in Barcelona after 144 years of construction.
- 2028: The lease contract for the Vltava port in Hamburg expires.
Technology and science
Physics and space travel
- 2020: On July 19, the United Arab Emirates' al-Amal spacecraft set off for Mars. Four days later follows her Chinese probe Tianwen-1 and July 30, the probe starts Mars in 2020 of NASA .
- 2020: After a positive court decision, Hagia Sophia has been used as a mosque again since July 24th.
- 2020: European Capital of Culture : Galway ( Ireland ) and Rijeka ( Croatia )
- 2021: European Capital of Culture: Timișoara ( Romania ), Eleusis ( Greece ), Novi Sad ( Serbia )
Oscar Winner (Best Picture)
- 2020: Parasite
Golden Palm Winner (Best Film)
- 2020: Awarding canceled
- 2021: European Football Championship 2021 in various European countries.
- 2021: Summer Olympics 2020 in Tokyo.
- 2022: 33rd African Cup of Nations in Cameroon
- 2022: Football World Cup 2022 in Qatar.
- 2022: Olympic Winter Games in Beijing in 2022 .
- 2024: Summer Olympics 2024 in Paris.
- 2024: European Football Championship 2024 in Germany.
- 2026: Winter Olympics 2026 in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo.
- 2026: Football World Cup 2026 in Canada, Mexico and the USA.
- 2028: European Football Championship 2028 .
- 2028: 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- December 14, 2020: Total solar eclipse . Visible in the Pacific, Chile, Argentina and the South Atlantic.
- August 12, 2026: Total solar eclipse over northern and central Europe and Siberia.
- 2029: NASA's New Horizons spacecraft is expected to leave the solar system.
- 2029: The asteroid (99942) Apophis passes the earth in a short distance.
- March 25, 2021: 200th anniversary of the beginning of the Greek Revolution with the aim of a free and sovereign Greece.
- April 22, 2024: 300th birthday of the German and Königsberg philosopher Immanuel Kant .
- June 3, 2024: 100th anniversary of Franz Kafka's death .
- 4th July 2026: 250 years of the United States' Declaration of Independence from Great Britain .
- October 20, 2027: 200th anniversary of the Battle of Navarino .
- January 28, 2028: 700th anniversary of Meister Eckhart's death .
- October 25, 2029: 100th anniversary of the start of the Great Depression .