|Table of contents:|
Wednesday September 1, 2021
- Venice / Italy : Start of the International Film Festival (until September 11th)
- Vienna / Austria : Compulsory ethics lessons will be introduced for all pupils from grade 9 and above who do not take part in religious education .
- Vienna / Austria : Alfred Stern succeeds Rainer Seele as CEO of OMV .
Thursday, September 2, 2021
- Frankfurt am Main / Germany : Groundbreaking ceremony for the Jewish Academy (client: Central Council of Jews in Germany )
Friday 3rd September 2021
- Berlin / Germany : Awarding of the German Acting Award
- Cologne / Germany : The newly built Cologne city archive is inaugurated.
- Marseille / France : Start of the World Conservation Congress (until September 11th)
Saturday 4th September 2021
- Belgrade / Serbia : Final of the European Women's Volleyball Championship .
- Manila / Philippines : Philippine Airlines , the national airline of the Philippines, is filing for Chapter 11 reorganization bankruptcy proceedings in the USA .
- Vienna / Austria : The film festival on Rathausplatz is coming to an end.
Sunday 5th September 2021
- Budapest / Hungary : The 52nd International Eucharistic World Congress (IEK) is taking place in Budapest , at the end of which Pope Francis personally traveled.
- Cetinje / Montenegro : Joanikije II. Mićović is consecrated as the new Metropolitan of Montenegro and the Coastal Region in the Cetinje Monastery .
- Conakry / Guinea : Members of a special army unit led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya attempt a coup. They appoint President Alpha Condé and announce that the government has been dissolved, the constitution suspended and the borders closed. The Ministry of Defense, however, announced that loyal troops had repulsed an attack on the presidential palace.
- Duisburg-Hochheide / Germany : Another of the high-rise buildings in the Hochheide residential park is blown up.
- Kirkuk / Iraq : 12 police officers die in a terrorist attack carried out by IS in Kirkuk.
- Santiago de Compostela / Spain : Primož Roglič wins the Vuelta a España cycling tour for the third time in a row .
- São Tomé / São Tomé and Príncipe : Carlos Vila Nova wins the runoff for the office of president.
- Tokyo / Japan : Last day of the Summer Paralympics
- Zandvoort / Netherlands : After 36 years of interruption, the Dutch Grand Prix is being held again for the first time.
Monday, September 6, 2021
- Minsk / Belarus : The Minsk District Court pronounces its verdict in the criminal trial against oppositionists Maryja Kalesnikawa and Maksim Snak .
Tuesday, September 7th, 2021
- Munich / Germany : Start of the IAA Mobility (until September 12th)
- San Salvador / El Salvador : The digital currency Bitcoin becomes legal tender.
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
- Kiel / Germany : The handball Bundesliga starts its 56th season .
- Lido di Venezia / Italy : As part of the Venice International Film Festival , the Golden Lions are awarded in the Sala Grande of the Palazzo del Cinema .
- Paris / France : The criminal proceedings against 20 people suspected of being involved in the terrorist attacks of November 13, 2015 begin.
- Rabat / Morocco : parliamentary election
- Tetovo / North Macedonia : 14 people are killed in a fire in a field hospital for Covid patients.
Thursday, September 9, 2021
- Berlin / Germany : The German Ice Hockey League starts its 28th season
- Cambridge / United States : The Annals of Improbable Research magazine awards this year's Ig Nobel Prizes in an online ceremony .
- Jena / Germany : Start of the World Cup of Darts (until September 12th)
- Tampa Bay / United States : Start of the 102nd NFL season
- Toronto / Canada : Start of the International Film Festival (until September 18)
- Vienna / Austria : Presentation of the Amadeus Austrian Music Awards
Friday 10th September 2021
- World Suicide Prevention Day
- Addis Ababa / Ethiopia : The African Union suspends Guinea because of the military coup.
- Beirut / Lebanon : The new government with Prime Minister Najib Miqati takes office.
- Greifswald / Germany : The controversial Baltic Sea pipeline Nord Stream 2 between Germany and Russia is completed.
- Copenhagen / Denmark : Denmark is lifting corona measures.
- Munich / Germany : September 10th and 11th - Protests against the 2021 International Motor Show.
- Pantelleria / Italy : A tornado devastates the Italian island of Pantelleria.
- Prague / Czech Republic : The Czech Republic sets Austria and Croatia to red on the Corona entry traffic light.
- Skopje / North Macedonia : The Minister of Health Venko Filipče resigns because of the fire in the field hospital in Tetovo .
Saturday September 11th 2021
- New York City / United States : 20th anniversary of the attacks, including on the World Trade Center
Sunday 12th September 2021
- Hagen am Teutoburger Wald / Germany : The European Championships in dressage are coming to an end.
- Hanover / Germany : Local elections in Lower Saxony
- Kabul / Afghanistan : The Taliban Minister of Education announces tightening of education for girls, including gender-segregated classrooms and the wearing of the hijab.
- Kabul / Afghanistan : Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani , Qatari Foreign Minister, is the first high-ranking minister to come to Kabul for talks with the Taliban.
- New York City / United States : Last day of the US Open
- Paris / France : In Paris, the wrapping of the Arc de Triomphe begins .
Monday, September 13, 2021
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
- Frankfurt am Main / Germany : The German Romantic Museum opens.
- Sacramento / United States : The governor of California , Gavin Newsom , survives a voting process .
- worldwide: Tropical Forests Day on the occasion of Alexander von Humboldt's birthday .
Wednesday September 15, 2021
- Vatican City : Pope Francis rejects the resignation of the Archbishop of Hamburg Stefan Heße in connection with cases of abuse in the Archdiocese of Cologne .
Thursday, September 16, 2021
- Cologne / Germany : Awarding of the German Television Prize
- Magdeburg / Germany : Re-election of Reiner Haseloff as prime minister of Saxony-Anhalt and assumption of official duties by the new government .
Friday 17th September 2021
- The Hague / Netherlands : After the chaotic evacuation mission in Afghanistan , the ministers Sigrid Kaag and Ank Bijleveld-Schouten announce their resignation.
- Hagen / Germany : A 16-year-old suspect in the case of foiled bomb attack on the synagogue is in custody taken.
- Kabul / Afghanistan : The Taliban are replacing the Ministry of Women with a Ministry of Virtues, which was responsible for whipping women during the time of the first Taliban rule.
- Nuremberg / Germany : The German Museum Nuremberg opens on the Augustinerhof site.
- Tirana / Albania : Parliament elects the leader of the Socialist Party , Edi Rama , as prime minister for the third time in a row.
Saturday, September 18, 2021
- Idar-Oberstein / Germany : A 20-year-old gas station attendant is shot by a man after he asked him to wear a mask.
- Paris / France : Until October 3rd, the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile will be covered as part of the L'Arc de Triomphe, Wrapped art project based on a concept by the late artist couple Christo and Jeanne-Claude .
Sunday, September 19, 2021
- Amsterdam / Netherlands : In the Wesperstraat in the former Jewish quarter is that of architect Daniel Libeskind designed Holocaust names Monument , the National Holocaust Memorial opened.
- Los Angeles / United States : Primetime Emmy Awards 2021
- Moscow / Russia : last day of the three-day parliamentary election
- Santa Cruz de La Palma / Spain : The volcano Cumbre Vieja on La Palma erupts. Liquid lava, ash and smoke are thrown up to 4200 meters high; over 300 houses are destroyed.
Monday, September 20, 2021
- Basel / Switzerland : Start of Art Basel (until September 26th)
- Berlin / Germany : Four more people are going on the hunger strike of the last generation , some of the activists have announced that they will go on a dry hunger strike if all three candidates for Chancellor do not show up for the requested interview on September 23 .
- Frankfurt am Main / Germany : The German share index is increased from 30 to 40 values.
- Kigali / Rwanda : Former hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina is sentenced to 25 years in prison for supporting terrorism.
- Ottawa / Canada : General Election
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
- Kabul / Afghanistan : In a letter addressed to the Secretary General of the United Nations, the Taliban request diplomatic recognition at the 76th UN General Assembly.
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- Berlin / Germany : Ceremony for the reopening of the first areas of the Ethnological Museum and the Museum of Asian Art in the west wing of the Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Palace .
Thursday, September 23, 2021
- New York City / United States : At the 76th UN General Assembly, the Philippine Foreign Minister Teodoro Locsin junior and the Palauan President Surangel Whipps Jr. meet to settle a dispute over the maritime economic zones of the two states.
- Zurich / Switzerland : Start of the Zurich Film Festival (until October 3rd)
Friday September 24th 2021
- N'Djamena / Chad : Interim President Mahamat Idriss Déby Itno appoints 93 members who represent the new parliament alongside representatives of the military.
- Worldwide: climate strike
Saturday, September 25, 2021
- Bamako / Mali : The Malian government hires fighters from the Russian group Wagner to fight Islamist terrorists.
- London / United Kingdom : Lack of fuel at British petrol stations due to inadequate transport leads to panic buying of petrol and diesel.
- Reykjavík / Iceland : In the parliamentary elections in Iceland, the incumbent government consisting of the Independence Party , the Progressive Party and the Left-Green Movement is defending its majority.
Sunday, September 26, 2021
- Berlin / Germany : Bundestag election
- Berlin / Germany : Election to the House of Representatives
- Hanover / Germany : Runoff elections to the local elections in Lower Saxony
- Graz / Austria : Municipal council election in Graz
- Graz / Austria : District council elections in Graz
- Linz / Austria : State election in Upper Austria
- Linz / Austria : municipal council and mayoral elections in Upper Austria
- Schwerin / Germany : State election in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
Referendums and referendums
- Bern / Switzerland : referendums
- Berlin / Germany : referendum to expropriate Deutsche Wohnen & Co.
- Tübingen / Germany : referendum to build a light rail line through the city center
- San Marino : Referendum to legalize abortion
- Avenches / Switzerland : The European Versatility Championships are coming to an end.
- Berlin / Germany : Berlin Marathon
- Haven / United States : Last day of the Ryder Cup .
- Leuven / Belgium : The UCI Road World Championships in Flanders is coming to an end.
- Worldwide: International Day of Rivers
Monday, September 27, 2021
- Schwerin / Germany : As a result of the poor election results in the state elections , Michael Sack resigns as chairman of the CDU in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania .
- Strasbourg / France : The imprisoned Belarusian opposition activist Maryja Kalesnikawa is awarded the Council of Europe's Václav Havel Human Rights Prize.
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
- Cluj-Napoca / Romania : Start of the European table tennis championship (until October 3rd)
- London / United Kingdom : UK replaces the previous GB as a national symbol in road traffic .
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
Thursday, September 30, 2021
- Nekrolog September 2021 for deaths this month
- List of annually recurring commemorative and action days in September
- Category for commemorative days, holidays or action days in September
- Day. In: Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety. Retrieved September 13, 2021 .
- Lava, ash and smoke up to 4200 meters above sea level. Tagesschau, tagesschau.de accessed on September 24, 2021 
- https://www.nordkurier.de/mecklenburg-vorpommern/ 2045174509.html
- https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/suche/eroeffnung-des-westfluegels-im-humboldt-forum-kulturstaatsministerin-gruetters-massstaebe-fuer-sensiblen-umgang-mit-sammlungsgut-aus-kolonialen-kontexten - set - 1961534
- Date fixed: Graz elects on September 26th. In: ORF.at . June 28, 2021, accessed June 28, 2021 .
- Day of the Rivers. In: Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). Retrieved September 20, 2021 .
- British are arguing about the new car country code. Der Spiegel, September 20, 2021, accessed on the same day.