Local elections in Lower Saxony in 2021
The local elections in Lower Saxony 2021 took place on September 12, 2021. Possible runoff elections will take place together with the 2021 federal election on September 26, 2021. It was the 20th local or partial local elections since 1948.
The following was chosen depending on the municipality:
- the district councils and the Hanover regional assembly
- the councils of the cities and municipalities and all municipal councils
- City district councils and the local councils
- also some district administrators , mayors and mayors ( Braunschweig , Goslar , Oldenburg )
The legal bases include:
- Lower Saxony Local Election Act (NKWG)
- Lower Saxony municipal electoral code (NKWO)
- Lower Saxony Municipal Constitutional Law (NKomVG)
In many places, queues formed in front of polling stations and voters had to wait longer to fill in their ballot papers. In the cities of Braunschweig and Hanover, this was explained with complex ballot papers and fewer voting booths due to protective measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic .
In the 2016 elections, in addition to the CDU and the SPD, the Greens also had losses, while the AfD achieved 7.9% from scratch.
The CDU was again the strongest force and received 31.7 percent of the vote. The SPD was just behind with 30 percent. The Greens recorded the greatest gains, improving their result to 15.9 percent. The FDP also increased (6.5 percent). The AfD lost more than 40 percent of its votes compared to the 2016 election and reached 4.6 percent. In the state capital Hanover, the Greens, who also provide the mayor there, became the strongest force in the city council. In many mayor and district council elections, for example in the second largest city of Braunschweig, in Osnabrück, Oldenburg and Göttingen, nobody achieved an absolute majority in the first ballot. Here the decision will only be made in the runoff election.
- Kommunalwahl-nds.de Infoportal of the Lower Saxony State Center for Political Education
- landeswahlleiterin.niedersachsen.de Information from the state return officer
- NDR: Local elections: CDU remains the strongest force in Lower Saxony. Retrieved September 13, 2021 .
- Overview: Lower Saxony local elections on September 12, 2021. Overview of the political journal for Lower Saxony, September 29, 2020, accessed on October 18, 2020 .
- Local elections in Lower Saxony in 2021. State Returning Officer Lower Saxony, accessed on June 3, 2021 .
- Local election 2021 - GOSLAR am Harz, UNESCO World Heritage Site. Retrieved September 12, 2021 .
- Election dates - direct elections 2021. State Returning Officer Lower Saxony, April 16, 2020, accessed on June 3, 2021 .
- Waiting times at polling stations: In many places, patience was required at ndr.de from September 13, 2021
- Greens with the greatest gains , Süddeutsche Zeitung, September 13, 2021.
- Local elections 2021: Numerous runoff elections in Lower Saxony , NDR, September 13, 2021.