Venice International Film Festival 2021
The 78th Venice International Film Festival ( Italian 78th Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica ) was held from September 1st to 11th, 2021 at the Lido . Alongside the Berlinale and the Cannes Film Festival, they are among the three most important A festivals in the world and were directed for the tenth time by Alberto Barbera.
South Korean director Bong Joon-ho became the jury president of the international competition, which among other things will award the Golden Lion for the best film at the festival . The main prize was awarded to the French feature film L'évènement by Audrey Diwan .
The Italian actor and director Roberto Benigni was awarded the Golden Lion as a lifetime achievement award. The list of competitive films and the full program were announced on July 26th. Among other things, the world premiere of the science fiction film Dune by Denis Villeneuve with Timothée Chalamet took place out of competition .
Invited again to the competition for the Golden Lion in 2021
(* = former winners of the Golden Lion)
|Campion , Giannoli||3|
|Almodóvar , Amirpour , Brizé , Duprat / Cohn , Franco , Schrader , Vigas *||2|
The jury president of the international competition (Venezia 78) , in which the Golden Lion is awarded for the best film at the festival, is the South Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho . He had at the Cannes Film Festival in 2019 , the Palme d'Or for his feature film Parasite obtained, which later also with four Oscars should be won awards.
The following six jury members will assist Bong in awarding the prizes:
- Saverio Costanzo , Italian filmmaker (competitor 2010 and 2014 )
- Virginie Efira , Belgian-French actress
- Cynthia Erivo , British actress
- Sarah Gadon , Canadian actress and film producer
- Alexander Nanau , German-Romanian filmmaker
- Chloé Zhao , Chinese filmmaker ( 2020 Golden Lion winner )
Competitors for the Golden Lion
The official program for the 78th edition of the festival was presented at the press conference on July 26, 2021. 21 feature films compete in the competition for the Golden Lion, including the Venezuelan director Lorenzo Vigas , a former competition winner.
Out of competition
|Ariaferma||Leonardo Di Costanzo||Italy, Switzerland|
|Il bambino nascosto (graduation film)||Roberto Andò||Italy, France|
|Les Choses Humaines||Yvan Attal||France|
|Dune||Denis Villeneuve||Canada, Hungary, UK, USA|
|Halloween kills||David Gordon Green||United States|
|The Last Duel||Ridley Scott||UK, USA|
|Last night in Soho||Edgar Wright||UK, USA|
|Old Henry||Potsy Ponciroli||United States|
|La Scuola Cattolica||Stefano Mordini||Italy|
|Deandré # Deandré Storia di un impiegato||Roberta Lena||Italy|
|Django & Django||Luca Rea||Italy|
|Ezio Bosso: Le cose che restano||Giorgio Verdelli||Italy|
|Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song||Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine||United States|
|Life of Crime 1984-2020||Jon Alpert||United States|
|Republic of Silence||Diana El Jeroudi||Germany, France, Syria, Qatar|
|Viaggio nel crepuscolo||Augusto Contento||France, Italy|
|Scenes from a marriage||Hagai Levi||United States|
|The Night||Tsai Ming-Liang||Taiwan|
|Plastic semiotic||Radu Jew||Romania|
|Sad movie||Vasili||Myanmar, Netherlands|
|Le 7 giornate di Bergamo||Simona Ventura||Italy|
|La Biennale di Venezia: Il cinema al tempo del COVID||Andrea Segre||Italy|
The Orizzonti (German: "Horizonte") competition section is dedicated to new trends in international cinema and primarily presents debut films, works by little-known young filmmakers, independent and special genre films as well as current productions that should be innovative and have creative originality. In addition to feature films, short films also compete in a separate competition.
The competition jury is headed by the Bosnian filmmaker Jasmila Žbanić . You had Quo Vadis in 2020 , Aida? took part in the competition for the Golden Lion. The film was later nominated for an Oscar . The following six jury members will assist Žbanić in awarding the prizes:
- Mona Fastvold , Norwegian filmmaker (participant in the 2020 competition)
- Shahram Mokri , Iranian filmmaker and film critic (participant in the Orizzonti 2020 section)
- Josh Siegel , American film curator ( Museum of Modern Art )
- Nadia Terranova , Italian writer
|107 Mothers / Cenzorka||Peter Kerekes||Slovakia, Czech Republic, Ukraine|
|Amira||Mohamed Diab||Egypt, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia|
|Anatomy of Time / Wela||Jakrawal Nilthamrong||Thailand, France, Netherlands, Singapore, Germany|
|À Plein Temps||Eric Gravel||France|
|Atlantide||Yuri Ancarani||Italy, France, USA, Qatar|
|The Falls / Pu Bu||Chung Mong-hong||Taiwan|
|El Gran Movimiento||Kiro Russo||Bolivia, France, Qatar, Switzerland|
|El hoyo en la cerca||Joaquin del Paso||Mexico, Poland|
|Inu-oh||Masaaki Yuasa||Japan, China|
|Miracol||Bogdan George Apetri||Romania, Czech Republic, Latvia|
|Once Upon a Time in Calcutta||Aditya Vikram Sengupta||India, France, Norway|
|El Otro Tom||Rodrigo Plá||Mexico, USA|
|Il Paradiso del Pavone||Laura Bispuri||Italy, Germany|
|Pilgrims / Piligrimai||Laurynas Bareiša||Lithuania|
|Les Promesses||Thomas Kruithof||France|
|Rhino / Nosorih||Oleh Sentsov||Ukraine, Poland, Germany|
|True Things||Harry Wootliff||UK|
|Vera Dreams of the Sea / Vera Andrron Detin||Kaltrina Krasniqi||Kosovo, Albania, North Macedonia|
|White Building / Bodeng Sar||Kavich Neang||Cambodia, France, China, Qatar|
Short films in competition
- Descente / 4 AM - Director: Mehdi Fikri (France)
- Don't Get Too Comfortable - Director: Shaima Al-Tamimi (Yemen, United Arab Emirates, USA, Netherlands)
- Fall of the Ibis King - Directed by Josh O'Caoimh and Mikai Geronimo (Ireland)
- La Fée des Roberts - Director: Léahn Vivier-Chapas (France)
- Heltzear - Director: Mikel Gurrea (Spain)
- Los huesos - Director: Cristobal León e Joaquín Cociña (Chile)
- Kanoyama / The last day - Director: Momi Yamashita (Japan)
- Mulāqāt / Sandstorm - Director: Seemab Gul (Pakistan)
- Pid pokati mai - Director: Sorayos Prapapan (Thailand)
- Techno, Mama - Director: Saulius Baradinskas (Lithuania)
- Tǒu shēng, jīdàn, zuòyè běn - Director: Luo Runxiao (China)
- Il turno - Director: Chiara Marotta e Loris Giuseppe Nese (Italy)
Short films out of competition
- Ato - Director: Bárbara Paz (Brazil)
- Preghiera della sera (Diario di una passeggiata) - Director: Giuseppe Piccioni (Italy)
- 7 prisioneros - Director: Alexandre Moratto (Brazil)
- Costa Brava - Director: Mounia Akl (Lebanon, France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Qatar)
- Land of Dreams - Directed by Shirin Neshat and Shoja Azari (USA, Germany, Qatar)
- La macchina delle immagini di Alfredo C. - Director: Roland Sejko (Italy)
- Mama, ya doma / Mama, I'm Home - Director: Vladimir Bitokov (Russia)
- Ma Nuit - Director: Antoinette Boulat (France, Belgium)
- La ragazza ha volato - Director: Wilma Labate (Italy, Slovenia)
- Sokea mies, joka ei halunnut nahdä Titanicia / The Blind Man Who Did Not Want To See Titanic - Director: Teemu Nikki (Finland, Sweden)
Independent film series
Settimana Internazionale della Critica
|Eles transportan a morte / They Carry Death||Helena Girón , Samuel M. Delgado||Spain, Colombia|
|Eltörölni Frankot / Erasing Frank||Gábor Fabricius||Hungary|
|Obkhodniye puti / Detours||Ekaterina Selenkina||Russia, Netherlands|
|Mondocane / Dogworld||Alessandro Celli||Italy|
|Mother Lode||Matteo Torone||France, Italy, Switzerland|
|A salamandra / The Salamander||Alex Carvalho||Brazil, France, Germany|
|La Dernière Séance / The Last Chapter (graduation film)||Gianluca Matarrese||Italy, France|
|Karmalink (opening film)||Jake quail||Cambodia, USA|
Giornate degli Autori - Venice Days
|Shen Kong (opening film)||Chen Guan||Macau|
|The Stranger||Ameer Fakher Eldin||Syria, Germany, Palestine|
|Californie||Alessandro Cassigoli , Casey Kauffman||Italy|
|Deserto particular||Aly Muritiba||Brazil, Portugal|
|Imaculate||Monica Stan , George Chiper-Lillemark||Romania|
|Madeleine Collins||Antoine Barraud||France, Belgium, Switzerland|
|Dusk Stone||Iván Fund||Argentina, Chile, Spain|
|Out of sync||Juanjo Giménez||Spain, Lithuania|
|You resemble me||Dina Amer||Egypt, France, USA|
|Lovely Boy (graduation film)||Francesco Lettieri||Italy|
|Il palazzo||Federica di Giacomo||Italy, Czech Republic|
|Il silenzio grande||Alessandro Gassman||Italy, Poland|
|Senza fine||Elisa Fuksas||Italy|
|Mizrahim, Les oubliés de la terre promise||Michale Boganim||France|
|Three minutes. A lengthening||Bianca Stierter||Netherlands|
|Shangri-la (short film)||Isabel Sandoval||Italy, USA|
|I and the Stupid Boy (short film)||Kaouther Ben Hania||Italy, France|
|Welcome Venice (opening film)||Andrea Segre||Italy|
|Caveman - Il gigante nascosto||Tommaso Landucci||Italy, Switzerland|
|Coriandoli (short film)||Maddalena Stornaiuolo||Italy|
|Diteggiatura (short film)||Riccardo Giacconi||Italy|
|Fellini e l'ombra||Catherine McGilvray||Italy, Switzerland|
|Giulia||Ciro De Caro||Italy|
|Hugo in Argentina||Stefano Knuchel||Switzerland|
|I nostri fantasmi||Alessandro Capitani||Italy|
|Il mondo a scatti||Cecilia Mangini , Paolo Pisanelli||Italy|
|isolation||Michele Placido , Julia von Heinz , Olivier Guerpillon , Jaco van Dormael , Michael Winterbottom||Italy, UK, Germany, Belgium, Sweden|
|Sons of Cain / Les Enfants de Cain||Keti Stamo||France, Albania, Italy|
|Spin time, che fatica la democrazia!||Sabina Guzzanti||Italy|
|Tonino De Bernardi - Un tempo, un incontro||Daniele Segre||Italy|
|Trastwest (short film)||Ivano De Matteo||Italy|
|With or without you||Stefano Sardo||Italy, France|
International competition for the Golden Lion
- Golden Lion : L'évènement - Director: Audrey Diwan
- Silver Lion - Grand Jury Prize: The Hand of God - Director: Paolo Sorrentino
- Silver Lion - Best Director: Jane Campion ( The Power of the Dog )
- Coppa Volpi - Best Actor: John Arcilla (On the Job: The Missing 8)
- Coppa Volpi - Best Actress: Penélope Cruz ( Parallel Mothers )
- Best Screenplay: Maggie Gyllenhaal ( The Lost Daughter )
- Special Jury Prize: Il buco - Director: Michelangelo Frammartino
- Marcello Mastroianni Prize : Filippo Scotti ( The Hand of God )
"Luigi De Laurentiis" award for the best debut film ("Lion of the Future")
The award is given to the best feature film debut in one of the competition or sub-sections. The jury includes the Italian filmmaker Uberto Pasolini , the Austrian film critic and festival director Martin Schweighofer and the Argentinian artist and filmmaker Amalia Ulman .
Honorary award for a life's work (Golden Lion)
- Best film: Pilgrims / Piligrimai - Director: Laurynas Bareiša
- Best Director: Éric Gravel (Full Time / À plein temps)
- Special Jury Prize: El Gran Movimiento - Director: Kiro Russo
- Best actress: Laure Calamy (Full Time / À plein temps)
- Best Actor: Piseth Chhun (Bodeng sar / White Building)
- Best script: Ivan Ostrochovský and Peter Kerekes (107 Mothers / Cenzorka)
- Best short film: Los huesos - Director: Cristobal León e Joaquín Cociña
- Cartier Glory to the Filmmaker Award : Ridley Scott
- ARCA CinemaGiovani Award | ARCA CinemaGiovani
- Authors under 40 Award | dedicated to the director Valentina Pedicini of Venezia a Napoli. Il cinema esteso
- CICT - UNESCO "Enrico Fulchignoni" Award | Conseil International du Cinéma, de la Télévision et de la Communication Audiovisuelle (CICT-UNESCO): Amira by Mohamed Diab
- Edipo Re Award | Edipo Re Srl Sociale: Al Garib by Amer Fakher Eldin ex aequo with Vera Dreams of the Sea / Vera Andrron Detin by Kaltrina Krasniqi
- Premio Fondazione Fai Persona Lavoro Ambiente | Fai Cisl Studio e Ricerche Foundation
- Fanheart3 Award | Associazione Fanheart3
- FEDIC Award | Federazione Italiana dei Cineclub
- FIPRESCI Award | FIPRESCI (International Federation of Film Critics): L'évènement by Audrey Diwan
- Best Film from Orizzonti and parallel sections: Zalava by Arsalan Amiri
- Francesco Pasinetti Award | Sindacato Nazionale Giornalisti Cinematografici Italiani
- GdA Director's Award | Giornate degli Autori: Imaculat by Monica Stan and George Chiper-Lillemark
- Europa Cinemas Label Award | Giornate degli Autori: Californie by Alessandro Cassigoli and Casey Kauffman
- BNL Gruppo BNP Paribas People's Choice Award | Giornate degli Autori: Deserto Particular by Aly Muritiba
- Green Drop Award | Green Cross Italia: Il buco by Michelangelo Frammartino
- 10th INTERFILM Award for Promoting Interreligious Dialogue: Amira von Mohamed Diab
- Lanterna Magica Award | Associazione Nazionale CGS: Amira by Mohamed Diab
- Leoncino d'Oro Award | Agiscuola, UNICEF: Freaks Out by Gabriele Mainetti
- Lizzani Award | ANAC (Associazione Nazionale Autori Cinematografici): Freaks Out by Gabriele Mainetti
- Fondazione Mimmo Rotella Award | Associazione Culturale Magna Grecia Eventi: Mario Martone and Toni Servillo for The King of Laughter
- NUOVOIMAIE TALENT AWARD | NUOVOIMAIE - i diritti degli artisti; in collaboration with Sindacato Nazionale Giornalisti Cinematografici Italiani and Sindacato Nazionale Critici Cinematografici Italiani
- La Pellicola d'Oro Award | Ass.ne Culturale “Articolo 9 Cultura & Spettacolo” e SAS Cinema ”
- Queer Lion Award | Associazione di Promozione Sociale Queer Lion: La Dernière Séance / The Last Chapter by Gianluca Matarrese
- RB Casting Award | RB Casting: Aurora Giovinazzo for Freaks Out by Gabriele Mainetti
- Sfera 1932 Award | Consorzio Venezia e il suo Lido e Seguso Vetri d'Arte - Murano dal 1397: La caja by Lorenzo Vigas
- Grand Prize Venice International Film Critic's Week | Venice International Film Critics Week: Zalava by Arsalan Amiri
- Verona Film Club Award | Venice International Film Critics Week: Erasing Frank by Gàbor Fabricius
- Mario Serandrei - | Venice International Film Critics Week: Eles transportan a morte / They carry death by Helena Girón and Samuel M. Delgado
- Award for Best Short Film SIC @ SIC 2021 | Venice International Film Critics Week: Inchei by Federico Demattè
- Award for Best Director SIC @ SIC 2021 | Venice International Film Critics Week: Inchei by Federico Demattè
- Award for Best Technical Contribution SIC @ SIC 2020 | Venice International Film Critics Week: L'incanto by Chiara Caterina
- SIGNIS Award | SIGNIS International (World Catholic Association for Communication): Un autre monde by Stéphane Brizé
- Smithers Foundation Award "Ambassador of Hope" | Smithers Foundation: Life of Crime 1984-2020 by Jon Alpert
- “Sorriso Diverso Venezia Award” XI edition | Associazione studentesca UCL (L'università cerca lavoro)
- Premio Soundtrack Stars Award | Free Event and Sindacato Nazionale Giornalisti Cinematografici Italiani
- Premio UNIMED | UNIMED (Unione delle Università del Mediterraneo): The hand of God by Paolo Sorrentino
- Premio Fair Play al Cinema - Vivere da Sportivi | Associazione Vivere da Sportivi: Il buco by Michelangelo Frammartino
- Official website of the Venice International Film Festival (Italian, English)
- Official website of the independent sub-section International Critics' Week (Italian, English)
- Official website of the independent subsidiary Venice Days (Italian, English)
- Venice Film Festival: Benigni receives Golden Lion for life's work. In: Kurier.at . April 15, 2021, accessed April 17, 2021 .
- Venezia 78: online presentation. In: labiennale.org. July 21, 2021, accessed July 22, 2021 .
- Janick Nolting: “Dune” officially celebrates its world premiere in Venice. In: digitalfernsehen.de. June 17, 2021, accessed June 17, 2021 .
- Dune, by director Denis Villeneuve, to have world premiere at the 78th Venice Film Festival. In: labiennale.org. June 17, 2021, accessed June 17, 2021 .
- Serena Rossi to host the opening and closing nights of Venezia 78. In: labiennale.org. April 12, 2021, accessed June 17, 2021 .
- Jochen Müller: Almodovar's "Madres paralelas" opens the Mostra. In: blickpunktfilm.de. July 19, 2021, accessed July 19, 2021 .
- Venice Film Festival: South Korean Bong Joon-ho becomes jury president. In: Wiener Zeitung . January 15, 2021, accessed April 17, 2021 .
- The International Juries of the Biennale Cinema 2021. In: labiennale.org. July 21, 2021, accessed July 22, 2021 .
- The films selected for the 78th Venice Film Festival . In: cineuropa.org, July 26, 2021 (accessed July 27, 2021).
- Out of Competition. In: labiennale.org. Accessed July 27, 2021 .
- "Ennio": Documentary about the composer Morricone at the Venice Film Festival. In: Tiroler Tageszeitung / APA. August 10, 2021, accessed August 11, 2021 .
- Special Screenings. In: labiennale.org. Accessed July 27, 2021 .
- Regulations. In: labiennale.org. Retrieved July 22, 2021 .
- Orizzonti Competition. In: labiennale.org. Accessed July 27, 2021 .
- Settimana Internazionale della Critica. In: www.sicvenezia.it. Retrieved August 1, 2021 .
- Cristiana Paternò: Venice Critics' Week unveils its 2021 line-up. In: cinecitta.com. July 22, 2021, accessed August 1, 2021 .
- Vittoria Scarpa: Giornate degli Autori comes of age and takes flight. July 28, 2021, accessed August 1, 2020 .
- Award ceremony (live stream) via labiennale.org; accessed on September 11, 2021.
- Official awards of the 78th Venice Film Festival. In: labiennale.org. September 11, 2021, accessed September 11, 2021 .
- Jamie Lee Curtis Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement. In: labiennale.org. June 30, 2021, accessed June 30, 2021 .
- Collateral Awards of the 78th Venice Film Festival. In: labiennale.org. September 11, 2021, accessed September 11, 2021 .
- Director Ridley Scott receives prize at the Venice Film Festival. In: Wiener Zeitung . August 9, 2021, accessed August 10, 2021 .