Berlin International Film Festival 2021
The 71st Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) are due to the COVID-19 pandemic take place in two time-separated event blocks 2,021th A digital platform for the film industry (“Industry Event”) took place from March 1st to 5th. This is to be followed by a public festival (“Summer Special”) from June 9 to 20, where the films will be shown as part of the festival. The 71st edition is under the direction of Carlo Chatrian (artistic director) and Mariette Rissenbeek (management) for the second time . The program was announced between February 8th and 11th, 2021.
The Berlinale was originally supposed to take place from February 11-21, 2021. In December 2020, the postponement was announced in two parts to March and June 2021. Despite the pandemic, the festival management stuck to having the public festival held physically. It was conceived as a pure open-air event for the public. A total of 126 films are to be presented in 16 open-air cinemas. The Berlin Senate approved the public festival as a pilot project with mandatory testing.
In the categories Competition, Encounters, Berlinale Shorts and Generation, international juries decided on the winners, who were announced during the “Industry Event”. The European co-production Bad Luck Banging or Loony Porn (original title: Babardeală cu bucluc sau porno balamuc ) by Radu Jude was awarded the main prize . The award ceremony in front of an audience will take place at the "Summer Special".
Introduction of gender-neutral actor prices
As of 2021, the awards for the best actor and the best actress ceased to exist , instead, for the first time, awards were given for the best acting performance in a leading and a supporting role. The Alfred Bauer Prize , which was suspended in the previous year, was replaced by a Silver Bear as the “Prize of the Jury”. The ProQuote Film association had criticized the introduction of gender-neutral prizes in advance as a “fig leaf for innovation”, saying that the Berlinale was far from gender equality . In the film industry, two thirds of roles are written for men, even for productions outside the mainstream . As a result, actresses are exposed to further competition in the future. Instead, the association recommended a separate prize for the best gender-sensitive representation. In fact, the two prizes awarded for the first time were intended to honor two actresses.
European Film Market
Dennis Ruh was appointed to head the European Film Market (EFM) in September 2020. As an annually changing "Country in Focus", Chile with its film industry and its filmmaking should be presented this year .
Competition for the Golden Bear
|Invited again to the competition for the Golden Bear in 2021|
Bence Fliegauf ,
Radu Jude ,
As part of the new festival format in 2021, a new concept for the composition of the international jury was also decided. Six directors, whose feature films have been awarded the Golden Bear in the past , decided on the awards. A jury chairmanship was not planned for this year. The jury members should see the films on the screen in Berlin.
The jury members at a glance:
- Ildikó Enyedi (Hungary) - director of the winning film Body and Soul ( 2017 )
- Nadav Lapid (Israel) - director of the winning film Synonymes ( 2019 )
- Adina Pintilie (Romania) - director of the winning film Touch Me Not ( 2018 )
- Mohammad Rasoulof (Iran) - director of the winning film But there is no evil ( 2020 )
- Gianfranco Rosi (Italy) - director of the winning film Sea Fire ( 2016 )
- Jasmila Žbanić (Bosnia and Herzegovina) - director of the winning film Esma's Secret - Grbavica ( 2006 )
Rasoulof was not allowed to leave Iran and, like Lapid, took part in the presentations and jury meetings online.
The feature films competing for the Golden Bear were announced in a video by Carlo Chatrian on February 11, 2021. A total of 15 films from 16 countries entered the competition, including two feature film debuts.
Berlinale Special Gala
In this section, films were shown that are out of competition. The official selection was announced in a video by Carlo Chatrian on February 11, 2021.
Since 2015, this section has offered an exclusive first look at outstanding new series productions from all over the world. Six titles were selected in 2021, including two miniseries from Latin America for the first time and Philly DA, the first documentary series.
|Creator / director||country||Actor (selection)||Channel||format|
|Pablo Fendrik||Argentina||Gabriel Goity , Nicolás Furtado , Diego Velázquez , Diego Cremonesi , Claudio Rissi||HBO||4 episodes of 60 'each|
Me and the Others
(Me and the Others)
|David Schalko||Austria Germany||Tom Schilling , Lars Eidinger , Katharina Schüttler , Sophie Rois , Mavie Hörbiger , Martin Wuttke||Sky||6 episodes of 40 'each|
|It's a sin||
Russell T Davies (Creator),
Peter Hoar (Director)
|United Kingdom||Olly Alexander , Neil Patrick Harris , Stephen Fry , Keeley Hawes , Nathaniel Curtis , Lydia West , Callum Scott Howells , Omari Douglas||Channel 4 , HBO Max , All3Media International||5 episodes of 48 'each|
|Os últimos dias de Gilda
(The Last Days of Gilda)
|Gustavo Pizzi||Brazil||Karine Teles , Julia Stockler , Antonio Saboia , Ana Carbatti , Lucas Gouvêa||Canal Brasil||4 episodes of 30 '|
Ted Passon , Yoni Brook , Nicole Salazar (Creator),
Ted Passon, Yoni Brook (Director)
|United States||Documentary form about Larry Krasner||8 episodes of 54 'each|
Mette Heeno (Creator),
Anna Zackrisson (Director)
|Sweden, Denmark||Josefin Asplund , Eva Melander , Maria Rossing , Ardalan Esmaili , Cecilia Nilsson||SVG , DR||6 episodes of 58 'each|
The competition section Encounters (German: “Encounters”) is intended to present “aesthetically and formally unusual works by independent filmmakers”. The program was announced on February 10, 2021. 12 feature, documentary and experimental films from 16 countries were shown as world or international premieres with a running time of 60 minutes or more. A three-person jury decided on awards for the best film, the best director and a special prize from the jury. The winners were honored with gold bear plaques.
The jury members at a glance:
- Florence Almozini (France) - Programmer at Lincoln Center
- Cecilia Barrionuevo (Argentina) - Artistic Director of the Festival Internacional de Cine de Mar del Plata
- Diedrich Diederichsen (Germany) - editor and publisher
The Panorama section showed a selection of documentaries and feature films. The program was announced on February 10, 2021.
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country|
|Dirty Feathers||Carlos Alfonso Corral||USA, Mexico|
|Miguel's War||Eliane Raheb||Lebanon, Germany, Spain|
|North By Current||Angelo Madsen Minax||United States|
|A Última Floresta
(The Last Forest)
In the Berlinale Shorts series , feature, documentary, experimental and animated films with a maximum length of 30 minutes (including credits) were shown. International contributions were not allowed to be shown outside of their country of origin before the Berlinale was shown.
In addition to the Golden Bear for the best short film and the Silver Bear, the jury also nominated a nomination for the European Short Film Award and the Audi Short Film Award.
The entries for the short film competition - 20 films from 16 countries - were announced on February 9, 2021.
The jury members at a glance:
- Basim Magdy (Egypt) - artist
- Christine A. Maier (Austria) - camerawoman
- Sebastian Urzendowsky (Germany) - actor
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country||Actor / Note||Length
|Al motociclista no le cabe la felicidad en el traje
(Motorcyclist's Happiness Won't Fit Into His Suit)
|Gabriel Herrera||Mexico||David Illiescas , Ángel Morales , Lisandro Robles , Ulises Robles , Estefanía Guerrero , Joel Ramirez||10 '|
(The Men Who Wait)
|Truong Minh Quý||France, Singapore||Gérard Thomas , Jean-François Geneste , Souleymane Sanogo||15 '|
Conrad Veit ,
Charlotte Maria Kätzl
|Germany||Charlotte Maria Kätzl, Conrad Veit, Juraj Černák||27 '|
|Your street||Güzin Kar||Switzerland||Sibylle Berg||7 '|
|Easter eggs||Nicolas Keppens||Belgium, France, the Netherlands||15 '|
|The glitter in Barbie blood||Ulu Braun||Germany||Gina-Lisa Maiwald , Mietze Maiwald , Dietlind Sommer , Milan Braun||27 '|
|International Dawn Chorus Day||John Greyson||Canada||Shady Habash , Sarah Hegazi||15 '|
|A Love Song in Spanish||Ana Elena Tejera||France, Panama||Yolanda Mathieu , Candido Ríos||24 '|
|Luz de Presença
(A Present Light)
|Diogo Costa Amarante||Portugal||Diana Neves Silva , João Castro , Gustavo Sumpta , Luís Miguel Cintra , Fernando Soares||19 '|
|More happiness||Livia Huang||United States||Tina Wonglu , Joyce Keokham , Rui Ying Lu||13 '|
(My Uncle Tudor)
|Olga Lucovnicova||Belgium, Portugal, Hungary||Documentary form||20 '|
|One Hundred Steps||
Benjamin de Burca
|France, Germany||Eabha Bourke , Mona Boutchebak , Malachy Bourke , Bob Quinn , Hakim Hamadouche||29 '|
|One Thousand and One Attempts to Be an Ocean||Émilie Vandenameele||France||Artus Antonini , Mathilde Le Borgne , Arthur Velten , Lucie Vincentelli||11 '|
|Strange Object||Miranda Pennell||United Kingdom||15 '|
|Wadim na progulke
(Vadim on a Walk)
|Edgar Jorge Baralt||United States||Edgar Jorge Baralt, Christina C Nguyen||11 '|
|Xia Wu Guo Qu Le Yi Ban
(Day Is Done)
|Zhang Dalei||People's Republic of China||Kong Weiyi , Zhang Chen , Guo Yanyun , Zhao Hua , Hao Mengfu , Li Xuejian||24 '|
|Zonder sea||Meltse Van Coillie||Belgium||Lucie Wyns , Jeroom Smeyers , Lone Genar , Eva Binon , Patrick Vervueren||14 '|
The forum's selection of films was announced on February 9, 2021.
The Generation section showed suitable international film productions for children and young people. The film selection was announced on February 8, 2021.
As an award, a glass bear is given to a film and a documentary by a children's jury (eleven Berlin children aged 11 to 14 years) and a youth jury (seven young people between 14 and 18 years of age). In addition, there is an international Generation Kplus jury that awards cash prizes for the best feature-length and short film donated by the German Children's Fund . Another international jury, on behalf of the Federal Agency for Civic Education , awards a grand prize for the best feature film and a special prize for the best short film.
An overview of the members of the international jury who announced their winners on March 4th:
- Jella Haase (Germany) - actress
- Mees Peijnenburg (Netherlands) - director
- Melanie Waelde (Germany) - director and screenwriter
The Generation Children's Jury and the Youth Jury as well as the independent Jury AG Kino Gilde 14plus, which was newly introduced in 2020, will award their prizes as part of the Summer Special.
|Beans||Tracey Deer||Canada||Kiawentiio , Rainbow Dickerson , Violah Beauvais , Paulina Alexis|
|Hamy Ramezan||Finland||Aran-Sina Keshvari , Shahab Hosseini , Shabnam Ghorbani , Kimiya Eskandari|
|Han Nan Xia Ri
|Han Shuai||People's Republic of China||Gong Beibi , Huang Tian , Zhang Xinyuan , Yan Xingyue|
|Jong chak yeok
(To the end of the world)
|South Korea||Seol Si-yeon , Bae Yeon-woo , Park So-jung , Han Song-hee|
|Last Days at Sea
(Last Days At Sea)
|Venice Atienza||Philippines, Taiwan||Documentary form|
|Mission Ulja Funk||Barbara Kronenberg||Germany, Luxembourg, Poland||Romy Lou Janinhoff , Jonas Oeßel , Hildegard Schroedter , Luc Feit|
|Nelly Rapp - Monster Agent
(Nelly Rapp - Monster Agentin)
|Amanda Adolfsson||Sweden||Matilda Gross , Lily Wahlsteen , Marianne Mörck , Johan Rheborg|
|Una escuela en Cerro Hueso
(A school in Cerro Hueso)
|Betania Cappato||Argentina||Mara Orderi , Pablo Seijo , Clementina Folmer , Irene Zequin|
|Cryptozoo||Dash Shaw||United States||Animation film|
|Fighter||Jéro Yun||South Korea||Lim Seong-mi , Baek Seo-bin , Oh Kwang-rok , Lee Seung-yeon|
|From the Wild Sea||Robin Petré||Denmark||Documentary form|
|Fred Baillif||Switzerland||Claudia Grob , Anaïs Uldry , Kassia Da Costa , Joyce Esther Ndayisenga , Charlie Areddy , Amélie Tonsi , Amandine Golay , Sara Tulu|
|Ninja baby||Yngvild Sve Flikke||Norway||Kristine Kujath Thorp , Arthur Berning , Nader Khademi , Tora Dietrichson|
|Stop Zemlia||Kateryna Gornostai||Ukraine||Maria Fedorchenko , Arsenii Markov , Yana Isaienko , Oleksandr Ivanov|
(The White Fortress)
|Igor Drljača||Canada, Bosnia and Herzegovina||Pavle Čemerikić , Sumeja Dardagan , Jasmin Geljo , Kerim Čutuna|
Perspective German cinema
The Perspective German Cinema section, created at the suggestion of Dieter Kosslick in 2002, presents both short and long feature, documentary and experimental films by young German filmmakers with a minimum length of 20 minutes. It is aimed at talented directors who are at the beginning of their careers. Previous participation of the entries at a film festival was not an exclusion criterion.
The entries include the Kompass-Perspektive-Preis (endowed with 5,000 euros), the “Kompagnon” sponsorship award (grant of 5,000 euros / 2,500 euros for short films) and the Heiner Carow Prize .
The film selection was announced on February 10, 2021. Three documentaries and three feature films were selected from 225 submitted films.
|To keep moving||Salar Ghazi||Germany||Documentary form|
|Instructions for survival||Yana Ugrekhelidze||Germany||Documentary form|
|Jesus Egon Christ||
David Vajda ,
|Germany||Paul Arámbula , Sascha Alexander Geršak , Roxanna Stewens , Benjamin Stein , Zora Schemm , Angelo Martone|
|The seed||Mia Maariel Meyer||Germany||Hanno Koffler , Dora Zygouri , Robert Stadlober , Anna Blomeier , Andreas Döhler , Lilith Julie Johna|
|When a farm goes aflame||Jide Tom Akinleminu||Germany||Documentary form|
|Wood and Water||Jonas Bak||Germany, France||Anke Bak , Ricky Yeung , Alexandra Batten , Patrick Lo , Theresa Bak|
In mid-October 2020, the title of the retrospective was announced with No Angels - Mae West, Rosalind Russell & Carole Lombard . In 2021, the comedic work of the three American actresses Mae West (1893–1980), Rosalind Russell (1907–1976) and Carole Lombard (1908–1942) will be the focus with a film program of around 30 films. In addition to a German-English publication of the same name, the retrospective is to be supplemented with events in the Deutsche Kinemathek .
The program was announced on February 8, 2021. Only US productions are shown.
The juries announced the winners on March 4th and 5th, 2021 respectively. The official award ceremony for the competition, Berlinale Shorts, Encounters and the winning films of the Berlinale Documentary Film Prize and the GWFF Prize for Best First Feature are to take place during the public festival on June 13, 2021 in the open-air venue on Museum Island.
- Golden Bear : Babardeală cu bucluc sau porno balamuc - Director: Radu Jude , Production: Ada Solomon
- Silver Bear - Grand Jury Prize : Gūzen to sōzō - Director: Ryūsuke Hamaguchi
- Silver Bear - Jury Prize : Maria Speth ( Mr. Bachmann and his class )
- Silver Bear - Best Director : Dénes Nagy ( Természetes fény )
- Silver Bear - Best Leading Role: Maren Eggert ( I am your human )
- Silver Bear - Best supporting role: Lilla Kizlinger ( Rengeteg - mindenhol látlak )
- Silver Bear - Best Screenplay : Hong Sang-soo ( Inteurodeoksyeon )
- Silver Bear - Outstanding Artistic Achievement : Yibrán Asuad (cut in Una película de policías )
- Best Film: Nous - Director: Alice Diop
- Best directors: Hygiène sociale ( Denis Côté ) and The Girl and the Spider ( Ramon and Silvan Zürcher )
- Special prize of the jury: Vị - Director: Lê B .o
- Honorable Mention: Rock Bottom Riser - Director: Fern Silva
- Best Documentary: Nous - Director: Alice Diop
- Honorable Mention: The First 54 Years - An Abbreviated Manual for Military Occupation - Directed by Avi Mograbi
- Golden Bear for the best short film : Nanu Tudor - Director: Olga Lucovnicova
- Silver Bear - Jury Prize : Xia Wu Guo Qu Le Yi Ban - Director: Zhang Dalei
- Short film nomination for the European Film Awards : Easter Eggs - Director: Nicolas Keppens
Children's and youth juries
- Generation Kplus
- Generation 14plus
- GWFF Best First Feature Award:
- Companion sponsorship awards: The worker of Eliza Petkova , We were friends of Jonas Matauschek and Christian Johannes Koch
Berlinale Co-Production Market
- ARTEKino International Prize: Who Killed Narciso - Director: Marcelo Martinessi
- Eurimages Co-Production Development Award: The Oblivion Theory - Director: Annemarie Jacir
- VFF Talent Highlight Award: Tropical Gothic - Director: Isabel Sandoval
- Golden Bear winners form the international jury of the 71st Berlinale . In: berlinale.de (accessed on February 1, 2021).
- Opening of the Berlinale Summer Special . In: berlinale.de, June 8, 2021 (accessed June 10, 2021).
- Berlinale 2021: The festival takes place physically / gender-neutral acting awards . In: berlinale.de, August 24, 2020 (accessed November 24, 2020).
- "Pro Quote Film" criticizes gender-neutral Berlinale prizes . In: rbb.de, August 25, 2020 (accessed November 24, 2020).
- Dennis Ruh will be the new EFM Director / First outlook for the EFM 2021 . In: berlinale.de, September 7, 2020 (accessed November 24, 2020).
- Berlinale 2020: Chile will be "Country in Focus" at the EFM . In: berlinale.de, May 14, 2020 (accessed November 24, 2020).
- Christiane Peitz: Interview with director Mohammad Rasoulof “Saying no has great beauty” . In: tagesspiegel.de, February 28, 2021 (accessed March 1, 2021).
- Andreas Busche: Children in power . In: tagesspiegel.de, March 4, 2021 (accessed March 5, 2021).
- Competition - Redesigning Cinematic Forms . In: berlinale.de, February 11, 2021 (accessed February 11, 2021).
- Berlinale Special - Exciting stories, current topics, personal trips . In: berlinale.de, February 11, 2021 (accessed February 11, 2021).
- Berlinale Series 2021: Toxic Anti-Heroes, Utopias of Freedom . In: berlinale.de, January 26, 2021 (accessed February 27, 2021).
- Encounters -a sense of discovery . In: berlinale.de, February 10, 2021 (accessed February 10, 2021).
- Encounters Jury . In: berlinale.de (accessed on February 19, 2021).
- Panorama 2021: Between Doubt and Revolt. Critical looks at power relations . In: berlinale.de, February 10, 2021 (accessed February 10, 2021).
- Berlinale Shorts. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 15, 2019 (guidelines).
- Berlinale Shorts 2021: Tell me about yourself so that I can understand the world . In: berlinale.de, February 9, 2021 (accessed February 9, 2021).
- International short film jury . In: berlinale.de (accessed on February 19, 2021).
- Slalom rides between fiction and document: to the films of the 51st Berlinale Forum . In: berlinale.de, February 9, 2021 (accessed February 9, 2021).
- Berlinale Generation 2021: Softly whispering, screaming loudly . In: berlinale.de, February 8, 2021 (accessed February 9, 2021).
- Generation Juries 2021 . In: berlinale.de (accessed on February 19, 2021).
- Perspective German Cinema. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Perspective German Cinema 2021: Going or Staying? How and where do we want or can we live? . In: berlinale.de, February 10, 2021 (accessed on February 12, 2021).
- Retrospective "No Angels - Mae West, Rosalind Russell & Carole Lombard" . In: berlinale.de, October 15, 2020 (accessed November 24, 2020).
- Berlinale 2021: Retrospective "No Angels - Mae West, Rosalind Russell & Carole Lombard" . In: berlinale.de, February 8, 2021 (accessed February 9, 2021).
- Award ceremony on June 13th also with winning films of the Berlinale Documentary Film Prize and the GWFF Prize for Best First Feature . In: berlinale.de, June 8, 2021 (accessed June 10, 2021).
- Berlinale 2021: Bear winners of the competition have been chosen . In: berlinale.de, March 5, 2021 (accessed March 5, 2021).
- Berlinale 2021: Awards in the Encounters section . In: berlinale.de, March 5, 2021 (accessed March 5, 2021).
- The prices of the Berlinale Shorts 2021 . In: berlinale.de, March 4, 2021 (accessed March 4, 2021).
- Award-winning films for a young audience as part of the Berlinale Summer Special . In: berlinale.de, May 26, 2021 (accessed June 10, 2021).
- Generation Kplus and 14plus: The prizes of the Generation International Jury . In: berlinale.de, March 4, 2021 (accessed March 4, 2021).
- Berlinale 2021 - The Critics Prizes . In: fipresci.org (accessed March 8, 2021).
- Awarding of the Kompagnon-Förderpreis 2021 by Perspektive Deutsches Kino and Berlinale Talents . In: berlinale.de, March 3, 2021 (accessed March 8, 2021).
- Projects on the road to success: three prizes and 1,300 meetings at the Berlinale Co-Production Market . In: berlinale.de, March 3, 2021 (accessed March 8, 2021).