Ulu Braun (born August 28, 1976 in Schongau ) is a German visual artist and filmmaker . His video collages and films move on the border between contemporary art and auteur film and have been shown in museums, galleries and at film festivals.
life and work
Braun grew up in Denklingen and between 1993 and 1996 worked as a graffiti sprayer in southern Germany. From 1996 he studied painting, graphics and experimental film at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna and between 2000 and 2005 animation film at the Babelsberg Film University in Potsdam . From 2007 to 2008 he was on a one-year DAAD scholarship at the Academy of Fine Arts in Helsinki , Finland. He lives in Berlin .
Ulu Braun has established a new genre within video art with his video collages . He uses material he shot himself as well as found footage , which are assembled into new scenarios in a complex process. He is one of the artists who transferred painting into video art and who significantly defined and further developed the video collage genre . He assembles film sequences and image motifs from various sources into landscape panoramas, the subject of which is the fascination of artificial paradises. Braun, however ... does not go so far as to simply play off such paradisiacal panoramas, imagined by individual travelers, against misery or to counteract one-dimensionally apocalyptic . Rather, these fantastic virtual worlds are basically confusingly similar to ours. As realities collaged from the flood of media images, they are essentially just like ours nothing but a construction.
In addition to video and film projects, Braun works on collages, objects, room installations and performances .
In recent years his work has been shown in the Berlinische Galerie , the Hirshhorn Museum , Washington DC, the Kunstmuseum Bonn , the MARTa Herford, the Kunsthalle Wien , the KW Institute for Contemporary Art in Berlin, and the Center Pompidou in Paris. His film work has been shown at international film festivals such as the International Film Festival in Berlin , the Rotterdam International Film Festival and the Sarajevo Film Festival to see.
Ulu Braun is a member of the artist groups YKON (FI / D) and PleaseBitteJaJa (D / AT).
Together with Roland Rauschmeier, he launched the video portrait series Cadavres Exquis Vivants in 2007 . This is based on the in surrealism u. a. developed and used by André Breton and Marcel Duchamp method of the Cadavre Exquis . Everyone in these portraits is somehow degraded, trapped and miserable, and yet that is precisely where an opportunity lies. ... So we can read them as an offer to design ourselves, beyond the conventional thought patterns, as hybrid beings who allow the "excess" of life.
In 2014–2016 he made the portrait film Plantheon together with the Finnish artist Teuri Haarla .
Solo and group exhibitions, screenings
- 2005 Videonale 10 , Kunstmuseum Bonn , group exhibition
- 2009 Videorama , Kunsthalle Wien , Austria Group exhibition
- 2009 2nd Athens Biennale , Athens , Greece (with YKON)
- 2010 Videorama , Galeria Zachęta , Warsaw , Poland Group exhibition
- 2010 Lands End. Shedhalle, Zurich , Switzerland Group exhibition
- 2010 Rauma Biennale Balticum, Rauma Art Museum, Finland , group exhibition
- 2011 Parks , Galerie Olaf Stüber, Berlin
- 2011 40th International Film Festival Rotterdam , Netherlands
- 2011 8th Mercosul Biennial, Porto Alegre , Brazil (with YKON)
- 2013 Ulu Braun: 13 Works , Los Angeles , USA
- 2013 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival Berlin
- 2013 Rest disorder , Marta Herford group exhibition
- 2014 Fade into you , Ulu Braun, Kunsthalle Mainz
- 2015 Welcome to the Jungle , KW Institute for Contemporary Art , Berlin Group exhibition
- 2015 65th Berlinale International Film Festival Berlin
- 2015 Meet the artist: Ulu Braun & Olaf Stüber, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden , Washington DC
- 2015 12x12, Ulu Braun , Berlinische Galerie , Berlin
- 2016 Vidéo-collages , Prospectif Cinéma, Center Pompidou , Paris
- 2011 Art Fund Bonn Foundation , working grant
- 2011 European Capital of Culture , Turku, Live Grand Prix
- 2013 German Short Film Award in Gold
- 2014 Berlin Art Prize
- 2017 scholarship from the Hans and Charlotte Krull Foundation
- Ulu Braun at Internet Movie Database
- Official website of Ulu Braun
- Exhibition directory
- The IBB Video Space at the Berlinische Galerie, Handout: Ulu Braun pdf
- # 63: Ulu Braun , Videoart at Midnight
- Ulu Braun / image documentation, Krupic Kersting Gallery, Cologne
- Luc-Carolin Ziemann: Ulu Braun, portrait, on shortfilm.de
- Interview with Leonhard Dobusch on netzpolitik.org
- Videonale 10 . Cologne: König 2005. ISBN 3-88375-951-1
- Landscape 2.0 . Heidelberg: Kehrer 2009. ISBN 978-3-86828-088-3
- Ulu Braun. Formation of beings. Video collages. Bielefeld: Kerber 2014. ISBN 978-3-86678-995-1
- Berlinale 2013. In: FORST. Berlinale, accessed on February 27, 2017 .
- Interview Screenfestival Oslo. Retrieved February 28, 2017 .
- Ulu Braun short biography. Kerber Verlag, accessed February 27, 2017 .
- Videoart at Midnight: # 63: Ulu Braun. Retrieved February 28, 2017 .
- Hajo Schiff: Art spaces. TAZ, accessed February 28, 2017 .
- Christoph Schütte: Collaged Realities. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, June 16, 2011, p. 48 , accessed on February 28, 2017 .
- Website artist. Retrieved February 28, 2017 .
- Quote: Anke Hoffmann and Yvonne Volkart: Cadavres exquis vivants. (No longer available online.) Olaf Stüber, archived from the original on March 21, 2017 ; accessed on February 28, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Ulu Braun and Teuri Haarla: PLANTHEON. Retrieved February 28, 2017 .
- Young Projects ,
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German visual artist and filmmaker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 28, 1976|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schongau|