Diop grew up in the La Rose-des-Vents district, called “Cité des 3000”, in Aulnay-sous-Bois. Her parents came to France from Senegal in the 1960s : their father was an automobile mechanic, and their mother, who had never learned to read or write, worked as a cleaning lady. At the age of ten, Diop moved with her family; among other things, Diop later lived in Clichy-sous-Bois . She completed a master's degree in history at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and then a DESS degree in visual sociology at the University of Évry . This was followed by studies in the documentary film studio at the La fémis film school . One of her first works during her studies was a short film about her father.
Diop made her first feature-length documentary La tour du monde in 2005. It takes a look at the life of migrants in social housing in Aulnay-sous-Bois, which was built in 1973 and never renovated. The film was released in 2006. In the same year she devoted herself to Clichy-sous-Bois and directed the episode Clichy pour l'exemple for the television series Dimanche investigation . In La mort de Danton , she followed the budding actor Steve Tientcheu from Aulnay-sous-Bois over three years with the camera. La permanence was filmed at the Avicenne Hospital in Bobigny . Diop accompanies a general practitioner and a psychiatrist, who are among other things responsible for examining migrants as part of the Permanence d'accès aux soins de santé (PASS) measure, with the camera for over a year. Vers la tendresse, in turn, focuses on four young men in the banlieue who report on their experiences with love and sex and on the difficulty of defining “masculinity”. Diop won the César in the Best Short Film category for Vers la tendresse 2017 . Diop lives in Noisy-le-Sec .
- 2006: La tour du monde
- 2006: Dimanche investigation - Clichy pour l'exemple (TV documentary series)
- 2007: Les Sénégalaises at la Sénégaloise
- 2011: La mort de Danton
- 2016: La permanence
- 2016: Vers la tendresse
- 2017: RER B
- 2016: Nomination for Best Documentary, Karlovy Vary International Film Festival , for La permanence
- 2016: Nomination for the Grierson Award, London Film Festival , for La permanence
- 2017: César, Best Short Film, for Vers la tendresse
- François Ekchajzer: Alice Diop, une documentariste proche des douleurs de l'exil . telerama.fr, August 26, 2016.
- Alice Diop on ateliersvaran.com
- Le cinéma de Alice Diop . spoutnik.info, accessed January 17, 2019.
- La tour du monde . collections.forumdesimages.fr, accessed January 19, 2019.
- Alice Diop, a documentary filmmaker . frenchculture.org, accessed January 17, 2019.
- Alice Diop, cinéaste césarisée . est-ensemble.fr, April 2017.
- Dt. for example “permanent access to health care”, a measure that enables access to general medical examinations, even if one is not insured due to a precarious life situation. See Permanences d'accès aux soins de santé (pass) . paca.ars.sante.fr, October 4, 2018
- Gwenael Bourdon: Alice Diop, le documentaire made in 93 s lice aux Césars . leparisien.fr, February 7, 2017.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French documentary filmmaker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1979|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aulnay-sous-Bois|