Gianfranco Rosi (director)
Gianfranco Rosi (* 1964 in Asmara , Eritrea ) is an Italian film director , film producer , cameraman and screenwriter . Rosi has been represented with his films since his debut film Ein Boot auf dem Ganges (Boatman) , which appeared in 1993, at numerous festivals and has already received several awards, including the Golden Lion for his documentary The Other Rome (2013).
life and work
During the Eritrean War of Independence , Rosi was brought to safety in a military plane to Italy at the age of 13, leaving his parents in Eritrea. After living in Rome and Istanbul as a teenager , Rosi went to New York at the age of 20 to attend the Tisch School of the Arts .
In 1993 he made his graduation film with Boatman , which was shown at various international film festivals, including Sundance , Locarno , Toronto and Amsterdam . Rosi then worked on several documentaries as a cameraman and director and made short films ( Afterwords , 2000). In the film under the sea level ( Below Sea Level , 2008), he reported a group of dropouts in the desert of California. The film won the Orizzonti Doc Award at the Venice International Film Festival in 2008 . In 2010 he realized with The Contract Killer - Room 164 (El Sicario, Room 164) "the sensational portrait of a contract killer".
In 2016 Rosi received the Golden Bear for Sea Fire at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival . In this documentary he observes everyday life on the Italian island of Lampedusa , the destination of numerous boat refugees . In 2016 he was awarded the Peace Prize of German Film - Die Brücke (Special Prize) and the European Film Prize (Best Documentary) for this film . He was also for 2017 for the Oscar in the category Best Documentary nomination.
- 1993: A Boat on the Ganges (Boatman) - medium-length documentary
- 2001: Afterwords - short feature film
- 2008: Below Sea Level
- 2010: The Hitman - Room 164 (El Sicario, Room 164)
- 2013: The Other Rome (Sacro GRA)
- 2016: Sea Fire (Fuocoammare)
- Awards. Internet Movie Database , accessed November 11, 2014 .
- Ella Ide: Italian documentary 'Holy GRA' wins Venice Golden Lion . Fox News. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- Piero Cinelli: Sacro Gra: un Leone 'sorprendente' . In: Primissima , September 8, 2013.
- Gianfranco Rosi. Vienna International Film Festival, accessed on November 11, 2014 .
- Orizzonti verticali . In: Il Sole 24 Ore , July 28, 2010. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian film director, film producer, cameraman and screenwriter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Asmara , Eritrea|