Sir Michael Caine , CBE (* 14. March 1933 in London as Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, Jr. ) is a British actor . He is considered to be one of the most prominent and successful character actors of his generation and has won multiple Oscar and Golden Globe awards. So far he has worked as an actor in over 160 films.
life and career
Caine, who grew up in a modest London family, pursued the ambitious plan of becoming rich and famous from an early age. There was no way he wanted to share the fate of his father, who had died a poor man after decades of hard work. After military service (including in Korea) he began to work as an actor and in the mid-1950s he gave himself the stage name "Michael Caine" (because he was impressed by the film Die Caine was her fate ). For around ten years he worked his way up in small roles in the theater and cinema . Since that time he has also been friends with his colleague Sean Connery , who, like Caine, initially had difficulties asserting himself as an actor.
Michael Caine experienced his breakthrough in the mid-1960s with leading roles in films such as Zulu (1964), Ipcress - top secret (1965) or The seducer lets greet you (1966). For the film Zulu (about the fight of 139 British against approx. 4000 Zulu warriors in the Battle of Rorke's Drift ) he had to acquire an upper class accent for the role of Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead . Caine, who usually speaks with an unmistakable cockney accent , embodied the member of the working class in many films , who comes to success with alert intelligence and chutzpah . He embodied a new type of actor who differed from the established British stars, who usually stood out due to their cultivated habitus ( Laurence Olivier , James Mason , Michael Redgrave etc.). Together with colleagues such as Sean Connery , Albert Finney , Oliver Reed or Richard Harris , Caine was able to benefit from the fact that public tastes had changed significantly in the 1960s.
Caine has appeared in many films of varying quality over the course of his career. From the late 1970s onwards, apparently for financial reasons, he repeatedly took on roles in films that were purely commercially oriented and clearly declining in quality ( Der tödliche Schwarm , 1978, Jagd auf die Poseidon , 1979, Der Jaws - Die Abrechnung , 1987 ). However, he also regularly found roles that cemented his reputation as a versatile character actor, and has been one of the most renowned film actors for decades. At the age of 80, Caine can be seen continuously in the cinema like hardly any other star of his generation and usually appears in two or three films a year. Between 2005 and 2012 he had a great success with the films of the Batman series, in which he was seen as the witty butler of the title hero.
Caine is one of the most award-winning film actors. Among other things, six nominations led to two Oscars , in 1987 for Hannah and her sisters and in 2000 for God's work and the devil's contribution . He received the Order of Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1993 and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II as a Knight Bachelor on November 16, 2000 . He was initially listed under his registered maiden name as Sir Maurice Micklewhite . In the meantime, however, he has stated in a television interview that he has officially changed his name to "Michael Caine"; in his most recent autobiography, too, he describes himself as "Sir Michael Caine".
Caine is the only actor besides Jack Nicholson to have made at least one film for which he was nominated for an Academy Award in every decade between the 1960s and 2000s. He has worked continuously as a film actor for over 60 years.
Caine is the son of Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, Sr. and his wife Ellen Frances Marie (born Burchell, 1900-1989). He has been married to former "Miss Guyana" Shakira Caine since 1973 , who can also be seen in a small role in The Man Who Wanted To Be King (1975). The couple have a daughter together.
On September 30, 2010, the second part of Caines The Elephant to Hollywood autobiography was published in Great Britain.
Caine officially changed his name to Michael Caine in June 2016 after using that stage name for 62 years. According to the company, the reason is the tightened airport security checks during the IS , which led to longer waiting times.
Caine has been committed to charity for decades. Although he has supported numerous charities in the past with a variety of objectives (21st Century Leaders, British Forces Foundation, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Help for Heroes, Not On Our Watch, Sightsavers International, Whatever It Takes), he primarily advocates the interests of Children a. He has been the Variety International Celebrity Ambassador for Variety, the Children's Charity for years and also actively supports organizations such as the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.
Caine is the patron of the 2004 Leatherhead Drama Festival in Surrey . For two weeks amateur theater groups (Junior Week and Senior Week) perform pieces, some of which they have composed themselves. During the following Awards Night, the two best performances will be shown and awards will be given to outstanding performances from the previous two weeks. As a highlight, the winners receive their trophies from the patron. Caine's support for this festival, which is the largest of its kind in the UK, has helped generate a broad public interest in the festival and boost the economy and culture of Leatherhead .
In April 2010, Caine appeared at several campaign events together with the Chairman of the Conservative Party , David Cameron , and campaigned with him for the introduction of a multi-week voluntary civil service for 16-year-old.
- 1956: On the front lines (A Hill in Korea)
- 1957: Uncle George and his murderers (How to Murder a Rich Uncle)
- 1958: The Key (The Key)
- 1961: The Day the Earth Caught Fire (The Day the Earth Caught Fire)
- 1962: Diamonds of Death (Scotland Yard Accepts the Challenge)
- 1964: Zulu
- 1964: Hamlet
- 1965: Ipcress - Top Secret (The Ipcress File)
- 1965: Last Greetings from Uncle Joe (The Wrong Box)
- 1966: The seducer sends his regards (Alfie)
- 1966: The girl from the cherry bar (Gambit)
- 1966: Final in Berlin (Funeral in Berlin)
- 1966: Tomorrow is a New Day (Hurry Sundown)
- 1967: Woman lures seven times (Woman Times Seven)
- 1967: The Billion Dollar Brain
- 1968: Play Dirty (Play Dirty)
- 1968: The Deadfall
- 1968: Devilish Games (The Magus)
- 1969: Loud Lies (Male of the Species)
- 1969: Charlie dusts off millions (The Italian Job)
- 1969: Battle of Britain (Battle of Britain)
- 1970: Too late for Heroes - Fall in to croak (Too Late the Hero)
- 1971: The Last Valley (The Last Valley)
- 1971: Jack accounts (Get Carter)
- 1971: Kidnapped (Kidnapped)
- 1972: X, Y and Zee (Zee & Co.)
- 1972: See Malta and Die (Pulp)
- 1972: Murder with minor mistakes (Sleuth)
- 1974: The Black Windmill (The Black Windmill)
- 1974: Vanishing Point Marseille (The Marseilles Contract)
- 1975: The Wilby Conspiracy (The Wilby Conspiracy)
- 1975: The Romantic Englishwoman (The Romantic Englishwoman)
- : 1975 wanted to be The Man, the King (The Man Who Would Be King)
- 1976: The Wrong Sister (Peeper)
- 1976: And tomorrow a thing will be shot (Harry and Walter Go to New York)
- 1976: The Eagle Has Landed (The Eagle Has Landed)
- 1977: The Arnhem Bridge (A Bridge Too Far)
- 1978: Silver Bears , Banks and Crooks
- 1978: The Swarm (The Swarm)
- 1978: The Crazy California Hotel (California Suite)
- 1979: Ashanti
- 1979: Hunt for the Poseidon (Beyond the Poseidon Adventure)
- 1980: Buccaneers of Death (The Island)
- 1980: Dressed to Kill
- 1981: The Hand (The Hand)
- 1981: Escape or Victory (Victory)
- 1982: The Murderer's Game (Deathtrap)
- 1983: Agents Die Twice (The Jigsaw Man)
- 1983: Rita finally wants to know (Educating Rita)
- 1983: The Honorary Consul (The Honorary Consul)
- 1984: It's Rio to blame (Blame It on Rio)
- 1985: Wasser - The Movie (Water)
- 1985: The $ 4½ Trillion Contract (The Holcroft Convenant)
- 1986: Hannah and Her Sisters
- 1986: Sweet Liberty
- 1986: Mona Lisa
- 1986: Half Moon Street
- 1986: The Whistle Blower
- 1987: The Fourth Protocol (The Fourth Protocol)
- 1987: Jaws - Billing (Jaws: The Revenge)
- 1987: Not Now Darling (Surrender)
- 1988: Jack the Ripper (Jack the Ripper)
- 1988: Genie und Schnauze (Without a Clue)
- 1988: Two Adorably Depraved Villains (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
- 1990: Jekyll and Hyde (Jekyll and Hyde)
- 1990: A Shock to the System
- 1990: Mr. Destiny
- 1990: Bullseye - The crazy diamond coup (Bullseye!)
- 1992: The naked madness (also: The fun begins) (Noises Off)
- 1992: Blue Ice
- 1992: The Muppet Christmas Carol (A Muppet Christmas Carol)
- 1994: On Deadly Ground (On Deadly Ground)
- 1994: World War II: When Lions Roared
- 1995: The Palmer Files: Der Rote Tod (Len Deighton's Bullet to Beijing)
- 1996: Blood and Wine
- 1996: The Palmer Files: Lords of the Apocalypse (Len Deighton's Midnight in St. Peterburg)
- 1997: Mandela and de Klerk - a turning point (Mandela and de Klerk)
- 1997: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- 1998: Shadow Run
- 1998: Little Voice (Little Voice)
- 1999: Subtenant from beyond (Curtain Call)
- 1999: God's Work & Devil's Contribution (The Cider House Rules)
- 1999: The Debtors
- 2000: Quills - Power of Obsession (Quills)
- 2000: Shiner - Beyond Good and Evil (Shiner)
- 2000: Get Carter - The Truth Hurts (Get Carter)
- 2000: Miss Undercover (Miss Congeniality)
- 2001: Last round - Last Orders (Last Orders)
- 2002: Austin Powers in Goldmember (Austin Powers in Goldmember)
- 2002: The Quiet American (The Quiet American)
- 2003: Quicksand - Caught in the quicksand (Quicksand)
- 2003: The Actors
- 2003: Secondhand Lions (Secondhand Lions)
- 2003: The Statement
- 2004: Searching for traces - detours to truth (Around the Bend)
- 2005: Batman Begins
- 2005: In Love with a Witch (Bewitched)
- 2005: The Weather Man
- 2006: Children of Men
- 2006: Prestige - The Masters of Magic (The Prestige)
- 2007: Flawless
- 2007: 1 murder for 2 (Sleuth)
- 2008: The Dark Knight
- 2008: Is Anybody There?
- 2009: Harry Brown
- 2010: Inception
- 2011: Gnomeo and Juliet ( Gnomeo and Juliet , voice)
- 2011: Cars 2 (voice)
- 2012: Journey to the Mysterious Island (Journey 2: The Mysterious Island)
- 2012: The Dark Knight Rises
- 2013: The Unbelievable - Now You See Me (Now You See Me)
- 2013: Mr. Morgan's Last Love
- 2014: Interstellar
- 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service
- 2014: Stonehearst Asylum - You will never leave these walls (Stonehearst Asylum)
- 2015: The Last Witch Hunter
- 2015: Eternal Youth (Youth)
- 2016: The Incredibles 2 (Now You See Me 2)
- 2017: leaving with style (going in style)
- 2017: Dunkirk
- 2017: Dear Dictator (Coup d'Etat)
- 2018: Sherlock Gnomes (voice)
- 2018: One Last Job (King of Thieves)
- 2020: Tenet
- 1992: What's It All About?
- 1994: Rabbit Ears Treasury of Fairy Tales, Volume Two: King Midas and the Golden Touch; Jack and the Beanstalk
- 1996: The Silver Lining: 23 Of the World's Most Distinguished Actors Read Their Favorite Poems
- 2000: Seven Ages: an Anthology of Poetry with Music
- 2007: Cained
- 1987: Oscar Best Supporting Actor in Hannah and Her Sisters
- 2000: Oscar Best Supporting Actor in God's Work and Devil's Contribution
- 1967: Oscar nomination for best leading actor in The seducer sends greetings ( Alfie )
- 1973: Oscar nomination for best leading actor in Murder with Small Mistakes ( Sleuth )
- 1984: Oscar nomination for best leading actor in Rita finally wants to know ( Educating Rita )
- 2003: Oscar nomination for best actor in The Quiet American ( The Quiet American )
- 1984: BAFTA Award for best actor in Rita finally wants to know ( Educating Rita )
- 2000: Honorary Award (Academy Fellowship)
- 1984: Golden Globe Best Actor - Drama in Rita finally wants to know ( Educating Rita )
- 1989: Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie in Jack the Ripper ( Jack the Ripper )
- 1999: Golden Globe for Best Actor - Musical or Comedy in Little Voice ( Little Voice )
- 2015: Best Actor in Eternal Youth
- 2015: Honorary Award
The ska group Madness released a single in 1984 called Michael Caine , on which the voice of the actor can be heard.
German dubbing voices
Caine has been dubbed for the German versions of his films by more than a dozen speakers over the years . Since 1967, however, Jürgen Thormann Caine's German voice was most common , e.g. B. God's Work and the Devil's Contribution and The Dark Knight ; Caine has been spoken almost exclusively of him since the mid-1980s.
- Michael Caine: Not Many People Know That . London 1984, ISBN 0-86051-298-3 .
- Michael Caine: Not Many People Know This, Either . London 1985, ISBN 0-86051-345-9 .
- Ben Wicks, Michael Caine: No Time To Wave Goodbye . London 1989, ISBN 0-7475-0083-5 .
- Michael Caine: Acting in Film . New York 1990, ISBN 0-936839-86-4 .
- Michael Caine: What's it All About? London 1992, ISBN 0-09-182648-9 .
- Marco Pierre White, Michael Caine: Canteen Cuisine: In the Kitchen with Michael Caine . London 1996, ISBN 0-09-180818-9 .
- Johnny Gold, Michael Caine: Tramp's Gold . London 2001, ISBN 1-86105-452-1 .
- Steven Paul Davies, Michael Caine: “Get Carter” and Beyond: The Cinema of Mike Hodges . London 2002, ISBN 0-7134-8790-9 .
- Michael Caine: The Elephant to Hollywood . London 2010, ISBN 1-4447-0001-4 .
- Michael Caine: Less is more. Small guide for film actors. 4th edition. Alexander, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-89581-138-8 . (German edition of Acting in Film , New York 1990)
- Michael Caine: Blowing the damn doors and other life lessons . Autobiography. Alexander, Berlin, 2019, ISBN 978-3-89581-503-4 .
- Graham Marsh, Tony Nourmand: Michael Caine: 1960s. London 2013, ISBN 978-0-9572610-9-9 .
- Anne Billson: My Name is Michael Caine: A Life in Film . London 1991, ISBN 0-09-175055-5 .
- David Bishop: Starring Michael Caine . London 2003, ISBN 1-903111-57-9 .
- Christopher Bray: Michael Caine: A Class Act . London 2005, ISBN 0-571-21682-X .
- Jody Duncan Jesser, Janine Pourroy: Batman. The making-of of the Dark Knight trilogy. Knesebeck, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-86873-460-7 . (Introduction by Michael Caine)
- Matthew Field: Michael Caine: You're a Big Man . London 2003, ISBN 0-7134-8876-X .
- Michael Freedland: Michael Caine: A Biography . London 1999, ISBN 0-7528-1801-5 .
- Elaine Gallagher: Candidly Caine . London 1990.
- William Hall: Sir Michael Caine: The Biography . London 2006, ISBN 1-84454-233-5 .
- Gerhard Midding: A Master of Reservation - The actor Michael Caine . In: Community work of Protestant journalism (ed.): Epd film . No. 5 , 2002, ISSN 0176-2044 , p. 18th ff .
- Michael Caine in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Official website of Michael Caine
- Literature by and about Michael Caine in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ report. BBC News ; Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- ↑ Biography ( Memento of the original from May 27, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on shakiracaine.com; Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- ↑ Michael Caine's "The Elephant to Hollywood" Book Signing at Waterstones Bookshop in Piccadilly on September 30, 2010
- ^ Sir Michael Caine forced to change his name because of ISIS. In: nydailynews.com. Retrieved July 22, 2016 .
- ↑ report on looktothestars.org; Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- ↑ Report ( Memento of the original from March 25, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on varietychildrenscharity.org; Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- ↑ Info on imdb.com; Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- ↑ Info ( Memento of the original from June 6, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on leatherheaddramafestival.org; Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- ↑ report. BBC News ; Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- ↑ Michael Caine. In: synchronkartei.de. German synchronous index , accessed on October 3, 2012 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Micklewhite, Maurice Joseph junior (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 14, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|