Maksim Aljaksandrawitsch Snak (born September 4, 1981 in Minsk , Belarusian SSR ; also: Maxim Snak, English Maxim Znak ; Belarusian Максім Аляксандравіч Знак ) is a Belarusian lawyer and a leading opposition member. Snak is a member of the Coordinating Council , which was established in the wake of the 2020 protests in Belarus after the presidential elections .
Snak used to be the lawyer for Wiktar Babaryka , who himself wanted to run for the 2020 presidential election.
Snak was arrested on September 9, 2020. Svyatlana Zichanouskaya asked for his disappearance to be clarified . Snak was one of the last members of the Coordination Council still at liberty. Most of the members had previously been arrested or forced to leave the country, most recently Maryja Kalesnikawa .
On September 11, 2020, he was classified as a political prisoner by Amnesty International .
Snak was eventually tried along with Kalesnikawa in the Minsk District Court. The public was excluded from participating in the negotiation, and those involved were sworn to secrecy. On September 6, 2021, he was sentenced to ten years in prison.
- Belarus: Nobel Laureate Alexievich visited by diplomats amid 'harassment'. In: BBC News . September 9, 2020, accessed on September 9, 2020 .
- Belarus: Opposition politician Maxim Snak apparently arrested. In: Zeit Online . September 9, 2020, accessed September 8, 2021 .
- Заявление. Беларусь: «Похищают лучших из нас». Произвольные аресты и принудительные высылки из страны ведущих оппозиционеров. In: amnesty.org . September 11, 2020, accessed January 3, 2021 (Russian).
- Письма из «таких мест». Юрист Максим Знак: "Там в прекрасном далеко просто должно быть хорошо". In: Brestskaya Gazeta . January 29, 2021; Archived from the original on January 30, 2021 ; Retrieved January 30, 2021 (Russian).
- Oppositionist Kolesnikova sentenced to eleven years in prison. In: Deutschlandfunk -Nachrichten. September 6, 2021, accessed September 8, 2021 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Snak, Maksim Alyaksandrawitsch (full name); Znak, Maxim (English); Знак, Максім Аляксандравіч (Belarusian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Belarusian lawyer and opposition activist|
|BIRTH DATE||4th September 1981|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Minsk , Belarusian SSR|