Annals of Improbable Research
The magazine Annals of Improbable Research ( AIR ) is published every two months in Cambridge , Massachusetts ( USA ). In it, as a satire on a scientific journal, fictional or real experiments with absurd topics as well as at least one serious research contribution with a curious topic, for example Murphy's law, are presented . The journal is published by various Nobel Prize winners, among others.
AIR annually awards the Ig Nobel Prize for ten achievements that "make people laugh first and then think".
A predecessor of the magazine was the Journal of Irreproducible Results by the Israeli scientists Harry Lipkin and Alexander Kohn , founded in 1955. When this magazine was bought by publisher George Scherr in 1994, the majority of editors - like Marc Abrahams - left the newspaper and founded the Annals of Improbable Research . Complaints by Scherr regarding plagiarism came to nothing.
From the German-speaking region, Mark Benecke is co-editor and author of AIR.
- Scott A. Sandford, Apples and Oranges - A Comparison AIR, Vol. 1, No. 3 (1995).
- Eric Schulman, How to Write a Scientific Article AIR, Vol. 2, No. 5 (1996).
- Fiorella Gambale, does a cat always land on its feet? AIR, Vol. 4, No. 4 (1998).
- Lucas Kovar, Electron Band Structure In Germanium, My Ass AIR, Vol. 7, No. 3 (2001).
- Ryan Shaun Baker, The Sleep Retarding Effects of My Ex Girlfriend AIR, Vol. 8, No. 3 (2002).
- Mark Fonstad, William (Pugatch) Flynn, Brandon Vogt, Kansas is shallower than a pancake AIR, Vol. 9, No. 3 (2003).
- Nick Spark, Why Everything You Know About Murphy's Law Is Wrong AIR, Vol. 9, no. 5 (2003).
- FBI Scientific Dining: National Academy's Dining Hall, Quantico, Virginia Annals of Improbable Research Vol. 7, No. 4 (July / August 2001), pages 19-21
- Criminal Investigator on Lint Annals of Improbable Research, Vol. 15 (July / August 2011), pages 2-3
- Hitler's Skull & Teeth Annals of Improbable Research, Vol 9, No. 2/2003, pages 9-10
- The Search for Tycho Brahe's Nose Annals of Improbable Research, Vol. 10, July / Aug 2004, pages 6-7
- Exploding Toads ... The Storied Remains Annals of Improbable Research, Vol. 11, Sept / Oct 2005, p. 18-22
- Marc Abrahams: The Influence of Peanut Butter on Earth's Rotation. Research that the world doesn't need , Birkhäuser Verlag, 2002, ISBN 3764359412 .