Film Festival on Vienna's Rathausplatz
The Film Festival on Vienna's Rathausplatz has been a free open-air event that has been taking place on the square in front of the Vienna City Hall since 1991 during the months of July and August . The program includes film recordings of concerts of classical music, operas and operettas, but also ballet, musicals and jazz. Live concerts will also take place as part of the Vienna Jazz Festival .
The festival takes place on the Rathausplatz , located between the Rathaus and Ringstrasse . The film screen and the (2007) around 6000 seats are located on the semicircular square in front of the town hall. The screenings usually begin at dusk.
On which sprawling Burgtheater part is in the meantime Carmen's Corner -called food court where national 11-24 pm and international food and drinks. General contractor for the catering sector, which has only been profitable since 1995, has been Attila Doğudan's catering company Do & Co since 1992 .
The program of the film festival is the City of Vienna marketing service together with the International Music Center Vienna (IMZ), the ORF and the Friends of the Vienna State Opera created. Anniversaries of composers, singers, conductors and other anniversaries are taken into account.
In addition to the real films , half-hour animated films from the British series Operavox are also shown. The operas Die Zauberflöte , Carmen , Turandot , The Barber of Seville , Rheingold and Rigoletto have been “recorded” so far . In 1997, Hansel and Gretel were shown for the first time .
Visitors, service, innovations
The number of visitors to outdoor events naturally depends on the weather, but the increase over the years proves the quality of the concept. Around 40 percent of the visitors come from abroad, around 14 percent are Austrians from other federal states , for whom the event was often the reason to visit Vienna. Numbers: 1992 - 260,000, 2004 - 628,000, 2007 - 680,000
- Reusable tableware has been used to avoid waste since 1995.
- Since 1997, information on the individual performances of the festival (dates, actors, piece descriptions and text excerpts) has been available on the website of the City of Vienna.
- For guests with small children, there has been the Baby-Corner changing station since 2000 , some wheelchairs are available for the physically handicapped , and the monthly programs are also available in Braille for the visually impaired . Around 300 seats are equipped with induction loops to enable hearing aid users to experience the festival acoustically .
- In addition to catering for people, the dog bar with dry food and water was introduced in 2001 .
- Also in 2001, together with T-Online and Lucent Technologies , the organizers created “Vienna's most beautiful office” for the first time, with the option of surfing the Internet with notebooks on Rathausplatz and Rathauspark . Loan devices are made available.
- On the occasion of the “Year of Water” 2003, the Wiener Wasserwerke screened the film “Hommage Wasser” made by Georg Riha after the musical program and immersed the town hall in a light projection made by Viktoria Coeln .
- The catering area was also redesigned in 2007: Switzerland will be represented for the first time at Euro 2008 .
- Films in 16: 9 format have also been shown since 2000; the original 9 by 6.5 meter projection surface has been widened for this purpose.
- In 2007 the system (now 20 by 11.5 meters) was improved again: It is now HD-capable and has 60,000 center lumen light output. For the public, grandstands with an additional capacity of around 1,200 people and three covered VIP boxes for around 180 people were built.
Projection surface in front of the Vienna City Hall
- Rathausplatz Film Festival: Dogudan on the criticism of accounts
- Film Festival on Rathausplatz: Also in 2000 a complete success
- Open Air Film Festival on Rathausplatz
- JazzFrühschoppen 2012 ( Memento of the original from September 5, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- "Jazz or Geriatric Pop?" - A critical review of the JazzFest Vienna (Der Standard, July 11th / 12th, 2007)
- Redesign of the cinema area
- Film Festival 2002 - Half-balance: record attendance emerges
- Film Festival 2004 on Vienna's Rathausplatz - final balance
- ORF Vienna - Film Festival attracted 680,000 visitors
- News from the film festival on Rathausplatz
- Open Air Film Festival on Rathausplatz from June 29th