The gastronomy is that part of the hospitality industry that deals with the entertainment of guests . In contrast to the restaurants , gastronomy not only satisfies hunger and thirst , but also the cultural need for experience and communication . Gastronomy is a special form of communal catering .
The internationalism of gastronomy can be traced back to the actual meaning of 'gastric knowledge' ( ancient Greek γαστρονομία gastronomía ). "Gastronomía" is made up of γαστήρ gastḗr , genitive γαστρός gastrós (German: "belly, stomach") and the word ending -nomia ('subject'). It was originally borrowed from γαστρολογία gastrología ('doctrine of the care of the abdomen').
The term gastronomy found its way into the German language in the 19th century; he stood for the upscale gastronomy or for the culinary art . The spread of the term was probably facilitated by the similarity with the German word Gast , which is not etymologically related .
Types and services of gastronomy
There are different types of gastronomy, with a focus on different services: bars , bistros , hotels , pubs , restaurants , but also snack bars and events offer gastronomy. A distinction is made between indoor catering in buildings and outdoor catering in the open.
A gastronomic service is a combination of various factors:
- Service (service, provision of the premises)
- Product performance (production of drinks and meals )
- Trade performance (buying and selling of finished products ).
From the traditional gastronomy, which only supplied the guests with food and drinks, new forms have developed. While guests in the restaurant chains expect well-defined standards, the gastronomic experience additional entertainment to the fore. These are different concepts that specialize in areas such as:
- Erlebnisgastronomie and Eventgastronomie (z. B. Ritteressen , Krimidinner )
- Themed restaurants (started in the US, e.g. Hard Rock Cafe , Disneyland )
- Urban entertainment center (e.g. in cinemas , musicals ).
The catering establishments can be further classified according to their main types of operation:
- Sale of meals (with service or self-service ),
- Sale of drinks (serving in pubs , dance halls , bars),
- Canteens and catering .
- Gourmet - kitchen master - restaurant guide (e.g. Michelin Guide )
- Rental chef
- Black gastronomy
- Gastronomy (Germany)
- Gastronomy (Austria)
- Klaus-Peter Fritz, Daniela Wagner (Ed.): Research field gastronomy: Basics - attitudes - consumers . ISBN 978-3-658-05194-5 .
- Allgemeine Hotel- und Gastronomie-Zeitung (organ of the German Hotel and Restaurant Association)
- Markus Zeller: The relevance of gastronomy as an instrument of brand communication . Springer-Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-8349-1663-1 ( google.de [accessed December 17, 2017]).
- Christian Mikunda, Marketing feel: Welcome to the third place , 2002, p. 119 ff.
- Ursula Hermann: Knaurs etymological lexicon . 1983, p. 173
- Gastronomy. In: Digital dictionary of the German language . Retrieved December 17, 2017
- Thomas Kästle: Compendium Event Organization: plan and carry out business and cultural events professionally . Springer-Verlag, 2012, ISBN 978-3-8349-3111-5 ( google.de [accessed December 17, 2017]).
- DEHOGA, German hotel and restaurant band: DEHOGA Bundesverband: Betriebsarten. Retrieved December 20, 2017 .
- Christine Schneider: Success factors in small service companies: An analysis using the example of gastronomy . Springer-Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-8349-9978-8 ( google.de [accessed December 17, 2017]).
- Alexander Emmerich: Duden general education. Fresh knowledge: smartphone, smoothie, summer fairy tale: new terms of the 21st century . Bibliographisches Institut, 2014, ISBN 978-3-411-90766-3 ( google.de [accessed December 20, 2017]).
- Henckel Dietrich: Leisure and commune: terms, definitions, explanations . Universitätsverlag der TU Berlin, 2007, ISBN 978-3-7983-2008-6 ( google.de [accessed December 20, 2017]).
- Klaus-Peter Fritz, Daniela Wagner: Research Field Gastronomy: Basics - Attitudes - Consumers . Springer-Verlag, 2014, ISBN 978-3-658-05195-2 ( google.de [accessed December 21, 2017]).