Catering ( English to cater deliver food ', catering someone') is a term for the professional provision of food and beverages as a service to any location. The scope of services of the service provider named caterer can extend from the delivery of the pre-produced meals to the establishment of a temporary catering business .
A special form is non-food catering , which describes the rental of equipment for a catering event .
For the job description, see: Business economist for catering and boarding
Business areas include the supply of canteens and large kitchens, catering at large events ( event catering ) and the provision of a party service. Other areas of activity include airlines ( airplane meals ), train restaurants or offers such as meals on wheels .
Care catering is the name given to catering companies in the health sector, such as in clinics, hospitals, retirement homes or senior citizens' residences. In these areas in particular, the outsourcing of services such as catering is often part of cost management, which is why external companies are often used to supply food.
Individual clinical pictures may require special diets, from dietary requirements to avoiding allergens . Otherwise, the requirements for community catering apply to the care catering sector, especially when it comes to the organized, quick simultaneous preparation of large quantities of food. The German Nutrition Society (DGE) has developed a “quality standard for catering in hospitals”. This is the first nationwide valid standard, but so far it is not mandatory, but merely a recommendation.
A party service is a service that consists of the delivery of food and drinks for celebrations at home or in the business premises of a company. This service can be found in the additional offer of restaurants , butcher shops or large kitchens or it can be provided by companies specializing in it. The services can range from the preparation of simple cold platters to whole menus, suckling pig , barbecue or chicken grill, including the provision of cutlery and crockery. The preparation can also be offered to the customer, then it is the service of a rental chef .
- Aramark , Sodexo (canteens)
- Arena One
- Compass Group
- Dussmann service
- Do & Co , Selecta , Candrian Catering , SV Group
- Feinkost Käfer (events)
- Klüh Service Management
- L&D GmbH
- LSG Sky Chefs , Gate Gourmet , Servair (airplane)
- Mitropa (railway)
- Harald Becker, Ulrich Grothues (ed.): Catering Management. Portrait of a growth industry in theory and practice . Behr, Hamburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-89947-259-2 .
- Helmut Kammerer , Eibe Cordes: Party service and catering. A comprehensive manual. Basics, acquisition, offer, planning, implementation . Matthaes, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-87515-017-9 .
- limited preview in the Google book search
- Hotel Kaiserhof - Berlin's first grand hotel on Wilhelmplatz. In: berlin-wilhelmstrasse.de. Retrieved May 28, 2018 .
- Tina Brauckmann: Nutrition in the hospital. Bad food - slower recovery. In: ARD.de . ARD , archived from the original on January 26, 2012 ; accessed on February 8, 2017 .