Rainer Seele was born the son of a steel construction company. After high school and military service, he studied chemistry at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen from 1980 , where he received his doctorate in natural sciences in 1987 with a dissertation on the synthesis of biologically active acetal glycosides for selective tumor therapy .
He then worked at BASF in Ludwigshafen am Rhein , initially in chemical research, later he took over the management of the research planning and controlling unit. In 1996 he moved to the BASF subsidiary Wintershall in Kassel as Head of Strategic Planning , and in 2000 he took over the management and sales management of the then Wintershall subsidiary Wingas . In this function, from 2002 onwards, he primarily made public the importance of Russian cooperation for gas supply in Europe. In 2002, Seele also became a member of the board of directors at Wintershall as the person responsible for natural gas trading, and he served as its chairman from October 2009 to June 2015.
Since March 2012 he has been President of the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce . Since July 1, 2015, he has succeeded Gerhard Roiss as CEO of OMV . In May 2017, his contract, which was initially concluded for a period of three years, was extended by two more years to June 30, 2020. In September 2019, he was reappointed by the Supervisory Board of OMV Aktiengesellschaft as Chairman of the Management Board and CEO of OMV, the term of office was extended by two years to June 30, 2022, with an extension option for a further year.
Rainer Seele is Honorary Consul of Romania in Kassel, Advisory Board of Jacobs University Bremen , Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Petrom and Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Borealis AG . In December 2017 he was voted Man of the Year 2018 by the Austrian business magazine trend .
He came under fire in the course of both the climate debate and the corona crisis. With an income of up to seven million euros in 2019, while OMV is pursuing austerity measures through the crisis, he is considered the best-paid manager in Austria.
Rainer Seele is married and has three grown children.
- 2018: Order of Friendship ( Russia )
- 2018: Man of the Year of the magazine trend
- 2019: Deloitte Austria CEO & CFO Awards - Best National CEO of the Year
- The OMV Executive Board
- Rainer Seele in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Rainer Seele in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- The President of the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce Abroad . Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- OMV: Rainer Seele appointed as the new CEO of OMV . Press release of March 27, 2015, accessed on September 26, 2017.
- diepresse.com: OMV boss Seele's contract extended until June 2020 . Article dated May 24, 2017, accessed September 26, 2017.
- EANS-Adhoc: OMV Aktiengesellschaft / Rainer Seele reappointed CEO of OMV. In: Börse Express. September 11, 2019, accessed September 11, 2019 .
- contract of OMV boss Seele is extended. In: ORF.at . September 11, 2019, accessed September 11, 2019 .
- New General Director at OMV Petrom . OTS announcement of January 9, 2018, accessed on January 10, 2018.
- OMV General Director Rainer Seele - "Man of the Year" . Article dated December 15, 2017, accessed December 15, 2017.
- Honorary Consul of Romania in Kassel . Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- German top manager Rainer Seele becomes the new OMV boss . Article dated March 27, 2017, accessed December 20, 2017.
- Dream pay despite austerity: OMV is tightening its belts, but not with the bosses in the standard from May 9, 2020, accessed on May 9, 2020.
- OMV boss Rainer Seele is to receive a Russian Order of Friendship. September 4, 2018, accessed July 22, 2020 .
- Deloitte honors Austria's top board members at the CEO & CFO Awards. In : wirtschaftszeit.at. November 14, 2019, accessed November 21, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German manager|
|DATE OF BIRTH||2nd September 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bremerhaven|