Incident at the Marco Polo Bridge "
triggers the Second Sino-Japanese War .
Pius XI publishes
With Burning Concern .
|Soviet Union the " Great Terror " begins by Nikolai Jeschow .|
Hindenburg catastrophe "
heralds the temporary end of commercial aviation.
|1937 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1385/86 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1929/30 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||93/94 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1341/42 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2480/81 (southern Buddhism); 2479/80 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||77th (78th) cycle|
|Chuch'e ideology (North Korea)||Chuch'e 26|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1299/1300 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4270/71 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1315/16 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1355/56 (March 13-14)|
|Japanese calendar||昭和Shōwa 12;
|Jewish calendar||5697/98 (September 5-6)|
|Coptic calendar||1653/54 (September 10-11)|
|Minguo calendar (China)||Year 26 of the Republic|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2247/48 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2248/49 (turn of the year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2479/80 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1993/94 (April)|
In 1937, the civil war raged in Spain , in which numerous foreign powers intervened directly or indirectly. The German Air Force is rehearsing several war criminal air raids such as the air raid on Gernika for the Great War already planned by Adolf Hitler .
In the Soviet Union , the Great Terror under Josef Stalin reached a climax: high-ranking officers were convicted and executed in several secret trials. The “beheading” of the Red Army will turn out to be almost fatal for the country in the next few years.
In Asia, the incident at the Marco Polo Bridge triggers the Second Sino-Japanese War . The Imperial Japanese Army has little difficulty with the quarreling Chinese troops and occupies large parts of China in a short time , with war crimes such as the Nanking massacre occurring here as well.
Politics and world events
- January 1 : In order to meet the needs of the armaments industry, the use of stainless steel for other items is banned in the German Reich .
- January 26th : The German government enacts the Greater Hamburg Act to reorganize the territorial expansion of Hamburg . It also passes the German Civil Service Act , which requires civil servants to do their work in the service of the National Socialist movement.
- February: Resistance against National Socialism : Frankenholz school strike
- February 23 : In an interview with the Swiss former Federal Councilor Edmund Schulthess promises Adolf Hitler , the Swiss neutrality be respected.
- March 21 : The church against the hostile attitude of the Nazi regime in Germany looking encyclical With Burning Concern Pope Pius XI. is read out in all German Catholic parishes.
- April 1 : The Greater Hamburg Act comes into force: Several cities and municipalities are now part of Hamburg , which in turn gives Cuxhaven to the Prussian province of Hanover and Geesthacht, and Großhansdorf and Schmalenbeck to the districts of the Duchy of Lauenburg and Stormarn .
- April 30 : The number of unemployed in Germany falls below the one million mark for the first time in more than ten years.
- September 19 : Landsberg am Lech becomes the “third most important city of the National Socialists”, the city of youth .
- September 25 : The Italian Duce Benito Mussolini arrives on a four-day state visit to Germany. His stations are Munich and Berlin.
- November 5 : Hitler declares his intention to wage war in a secret conference (see Hoßbach record ).
- November 8 : Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels opens the show The Eternal Jew in the library of the Deutsches Museum in Munich . The traveling exhibition is intended to incite the population against the Jews as part of the anti-Semitic racial ideology of the National Socialists .
- November 19 : Konrad Henlein , the leader of the Sudeten German Party in Czechoslovakia, asks Adolf Hitler for support in strengthening the protection of minorities for the Germans after several legislative proposals have failed in Prague. The Sudeten crisis is dawning.
- December 31st : The borders of the German Empire are set on this date under international law. They are valid until 1990; only with the two plus four treaty did Germany lose its territorial sovereignty over the areas east of the Oder and Neisse rivers .
Spanish Civil War
- February 3rd : The Franquists, under the command of Gonzalo Queipo de Llano, begin their attack on Málaga during the Spanish Civil War near Ronda . The Battle of Malaga lasted only five days, as the Republicans were completely unprepared for the use of tanks by the Italian nationalist allies.
- February 8th : After the withdrawal of the republican troops and the capture of the city by the nationalists under Gonzalo Queipo de Llano , a mass exodus from Malaga begins. Over the next three days, Spanish and German planes and two warships set fire to those fleeing on the coastal road to Almería . The Málaga massacre is estimated to have killed a total of 10,000 people.
- 6. - 27. February : The Battle of Jarama ends because of the exhaustion of both sides without a decision and ends in a grave war .
- March 8 : With the onset of the Italian Corpo Truppe Volontarie under Mario Roatta the to begin March 23 permanent battle of Guadalajara .
- March 12 : Republicans counterattack at the Battle of Guadalajara.
- March 23 : The Battle of Guadalajara ends with a victory for the Republican troops. This prevents the enclosure of Madrid by the nationalist troops. General Francisco Franco then changed his strategy and moved the war to the north.
- March 31 : The war in the north begins with the bombing of Durango by German and Italian planes . The air strike on Durango lasted until April 4th and killed around 300 people.
- April 19 : General Francisco Franco orders in a decree the amalgamation of Falange and JONS with the Carlistische Comunión Tradicionalista to form Falange Española Tradicionalista y de las JONS , the state party in Spain that ruled until the 1970s .
- April 26th : Air raid on Gernika : The German aircraft squadron Legion Condor destroys the Basque city of Guernica .
- May: Republican units under the orders of the Polish communist Karol Świerczewski try in vain to break out of besieged Madrid .
- May 3 : The party struggle in the Spanish Frente Popular (Popular Front) escalates. In Barcelona, 200 police officers, led by communists loyal to Stalin, storm the telephone switchboard of the Spanish Post Office, which had previously been run by radical left forces. This resulted in unrest against the Stalinist-dominated central government throughout the city, which lasted for several days.
- 4. - 8. May : The events of May in Barcelona it comes to fighting Republican units themselves.
- May 29 : Over 30 seamen are killed and more than 70 injured in an air raid by the Frente Popular on the German armored ship Deutschland off Ibiza. The ship was on an international order for maritime control off Spain.
- May 31 : The German armored ship Admiral Scheer destroys a coastal battery of the Popular Front near the Spanish city of Almería as a punitive action for the attack on Germany with air support .
- June 3 : General Franco's deputy and commander for northern Spain, Emilio Mola , is killed in a plane crash near Burgos .
- June 19th : War in the north : Bilbao falls into the hands of the nationalists.
- July 6th : The Battle of Brunete begins with an attack by the Republicans . The nationalists counterattacked on July 18th . The battle ends on July 25th without a decision.
- August 24 : In the Santoña Pact , the government of the Basque Autonomous Country declares its readiness to surrender to the nationalists. Numerous Basque fighters join Franco's troops.
- August 24th to September 7th : The Battle of Belchite , which begins with a Republican offensive, ends without a decision. The city of Belchite is completely destroyed after the two-week battle. The Republicans fail to advance on Zaragoza as planned .
- September 1st : Santander is conquered by the nationalists.
- October 21 : With the fall of the Asturian port city of Gijón , the Frente Popular loses its last base in northern Spain to the troops of General Franco.
- December 15 : The until February 27 permanent battle of Teruel begins.
- 23. - the 30th January : The Great Terror under Josef Stalin reached another high point in the second Moscow trial among others are Georgi Pyatakov , Nikolai Muralov and Leonid Serebryakov sentenced to death and on February 1 shot. Karl Radek and Grigori Sokolnikow get away with prison terms for the time being (both are murdered there)
- June 11 : In Moscow, the Deputy People's Commissar for Defense and Marshal of the Soviet Union Mikhail Nikolayevich Tukhachevsky is sentenced to death in a secret military trial and executed the next day. In the same process seven other high officers of the Red Army are convicted, which is in fact "beheaded".
- July 25 : NKVD order No. 00439 ("On the operation to take repression measures against German nationals suspected of espionage against the USSR") is signed by Nikolai Yezhov . As a result, over 40,000 employees of German descent from Soviet arms and transport companies will be sentenced to death in the next few years .
- July 30 : NKVD Order No. 00447 ("On the Operation to Repress Former Kulaks, Criminals and Other Anti-Soviet Elements") is signed by Nikolai Yezhov . In the next two years alone, over 387,000 people in the Soviet Union will be sentenced to death and executed , and 380,000 will be imprisoned in penal camps.
- August 11 : NKVD order No. 00485 ("On the liquidation of Polish sabotage and espionage groups and organizations of the POW [Polish Military Organization]") is signed by Nikolai Jeschow : More than 100,000 people of Polish origin are in the sentenced and executed in the course of the so-called “ Polish Operation ” next two years .
- August 21 : China and the USSR sign a non-aggression pact (in Nanking).
- October : Almost the entire Korean minority in the Soviet Union, the so-called Korjo-Saram , is deported from the Russian Far East to Central Asia to keep them away from Japanese influence. It was one of the first complete deportations of a people in the Soviet Union at all (more details e.g. here )
- March 8 : Former King Edward VIII is awarded the title Duke of Windsor after his abdication the previous year . He is the only one who will bear this title. The title expires after his death.
- May 12th : George VI was born in Westminster Abbey in London . crowned the new king.
- May 27 : Arthur Neville Chamberlain becomes the new British Prime Minister.
- July 1 : The voters of Ireland take on in a referendum Éamon de Valera elaborated new Constitution of Ireland in place of since 1922 valid Constitution of the Irish Free State on.
- December 29th : The Irish Constitution enters into force. The Irish Free State becomes Ireland or Eire.
- November 6 : Italy joins the Anti-Comintern Pact between Germany and Japan.
- December 11th : Italy leaves the League of Nations .
Other events in Europe
- January 1st : Giuseppe Motta becomes President of Switzerland for the fifth time .
- February 3 : In Switzerland, the non-partisan guideline movement for economic reconstruction and securing democracy is established .
- May 13 : In the then Polish city of Breść nad Bugiem ( Brest (Belarus) ), 50 Jews are injured in the Brest pogrom and hundreds of Jewish shops are demolished and in some cases looted.
Turkey / Middle East
- February 5 : In the Turkish Republic , the six principles of Kemalism , including secularism , are given constitutional status.
- March 21 : The Dersim uprising in Turkey begins.
- April 1 : Aden (now part of Yemen ) and Burma (now Myanmar ), which were previously part of the British colony of British India , are now run as independent British colonies.
- May 26th : The Kingdom of Egypt is admitted to the League of Nations .
- July 7th : The British Peel Commission , which was supposed to investigate previous Palestinian uprisings, publishes a plan to divide Palestine between British, Jews and Palestinians.
- July 8 : Saadabad Agreement between Turkey , Iraq , Iran and Afghanistan , which also includes a coordinated approach to fighting the Kurds .
- July 29th : Faruq is crowned the second king of Egypt . The 16-year-old monarch then made a public radio address to the nation. It is the first time a ruler of Egypt speaks directly to his people during his enthronement. The young monarch implements a comprehensive economic reform program and, because of his secular and laicist attitude, comes into conflict with the Islamic clergy, which leads to a strengthening of the Muslim Brotherhood .
- November 17 : The leader of the Dersim uprising , Said Rıza , and his six comrades from Dersim are executed in Elazig (Mazra) (Turkey-Kurdistan).
China / Japan
- January 1 : In the Republic of China , General Zhang Xueliang is sentenced by a military court to four years in prison for alleged inciting a riot in Xi'an Province ( Xi'an incident ) .
- July 7 : The " Incident at the Marco Polo Bridge " in Beijing - a Japanese-provoked shootout between Chinese and Japanese soldiers - triggers the Second Sino-Japanese War .
- July 25th to 31st : The battle for Peking-Tianjin ends with the capture of the two cities of Peking and Tianjin by Japanese troops. The Chinese withdraw to Chahar .
- July 29 : In the Tongzhou incident during the Battle of Beijing-Tianjin, soldiers from the Chinese East Hebei Army attack their Japanese trainers and Chinese officers collaborating with the Japanese. The Hebei district commissioner is arrested. Only Japanese reinforcements can put down the uprising and free the commissioner.
- August: The Japanese army and their Mongol allies are victorious in the Chahar operation .
- August 13 : The battle for Shanghai begins. It lasts until November 9th .
- August 21 : China and the USSR sign a non-aggression pact.
- September 1 to November 9 : The Japanese win the battle for Taiyuan and end the main Chinese resistance in northern China by taking the city. The Chinese troops then shift to guerrilla action in the region.
- September 10 : Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party form the Second United Front against Japanese aggression : Mao Zedong and his Red Army take an oath of allegiance to General Chiang Kai-shek . His troops become the 8th Chinese Army.
- September 24th / 25th : The 8th Chinese Army defeats Japanese troops in the Battle of Pingxingguan , a victory of above all moral significance for the Chinese troops.
- October 26 to November 1 : Chinese defenders are forced to withdraw after unsuccessful attempt to defend the Sihang department store in Shanghai.
- November 9th : Japanese troops fight the last resistance in Shanghai and completely conquer the city.
- December 9th : Japanese forces begin siege of Nanking in the Second Sino-Japanese War .
- December 11 : The American gunboat Panay , which had evacuated Americans from Nanjing ( Nanking ) and escorted three US oil tankers, is sunk by Japanese planes on the Yangtze .
- December 13 (until February 7, 1938 ): Japanese occupiers commit the " Nanking massacre ". There is also the Hyakunin-giri Kyōsō , the competition between two Japanese officers, who can kill 100 people with the sword first.
- January 1 : Anastasio Somoza García becomes President of Nicaragua .
- July 13 : The Bolivian head of state José David Toro Ruilova is overthrown by his chief of staff Germán Busch Becerra .
- October 2 : In the Dominican Republic , a massacre of about two weeks begins, presumably spurred on by the dictator Rafael Trujillo . More than 20,000, predominantly dark-skinned, people from neighboring Haiti are killed if they cannot pronounce the word perejil (parsley) correctly and are therefore regarded as strangers.
United States of America
- January 20 : Start of the second term of the US President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- April 21 : In the US colony of Puerto Rico , an approved demonstration by nationalists leads to the so-called Ponce massacre . 21 protesters were killed and 200 injured by the police.
- October 5 : US President Franklin D. Roosevelt gives his " quarantine speech " in Chicago , which is directed against Germany , Italy and Japan . Roosevelt suggests "quarantining" states with expansive foreign policy, opposing them and thus containing them.
- February 10 : The Reichsbank and the Deutsche Reichsbahn are legally subordinated to the National Socialist Reich government.
- March: Germany , Great Britain , the Netherlands , Poland and Belgium sign the agreement on the International Coke Convention .
- May 4 : The Heinkel-Werke Oranienburg , an important armaments company in the aircraft construction sector, is inaugurated.
- May 5th : The Kdf cruise ship Wilhelm Gustloff is launched at Blohm & Voss in Hamburg .
- May 25th : A world exhibition under the motto Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne opens in Paris . The French President Albert Lebrun inaugurates the Palais de Tokyo , which now houses a center for contemporary art .
- May 28 : The “Society for the preparation of the German Volkswagen mbH” , the forerunner of Volkswagen AG, is founded in Berlin with share capital of 480,000 Reichsmarks
- June 30 : The Bank of France leaves the gold standard .
- August 6 : The entire route of the 1,288-kilometer Swedish inland railway , which was completed last year, is ceremoniously inaugurated by Crown Prince Gustav Adolf .
- August 28 : The automotive division of the Japanese weaving machine manufacturer Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, Ltd., which is currently being established. becomes an independent company as Toyota Motor Corporation .
- August 31 : The history of the railways in France : The French national railroad company Société nationale des chemins de fer français is founded, in which four private and two state railway companies are merged. The contract comes into force on January 1, 1938.
- September 17 : In Vienna, the rotunda , the central building of the 1873 World's Fair , burns down.
- October 31 bis 31 December : The New York, Westchester and Boston Railway makes its operation a court order.
- The Schmalbach -Werke bring the first beverage can onto the German market.
- The Danish medical technology company Ambu is founded.
- During the New Deal under Franklin D. Roosevelt , the Farm Security Administration is established in the United States to support smallholders.
science and technology
- In Dittenheim an early medieval is burial ground dating from the 6th to 8th centuries found; it comprises 250 individual graves, including some cremation graves and three horse burials .
- March 17 : On a flight from Oakland , California, to Honolulu , Amelia Earhart begins an attempt to circumnavigate the world with a Lockheed Electra together with three other crew members . However, after a start-up accident in Pearl Harbor , this attempt has to be stopped.
- After a flight from Oakland to Miami , Amelia Earhart announces another attempt to circumnavigate the world and starts on June 1 with her navigator Fred Noonan from Miami towards Brazil. After stopping over in Brazil , West Africa , Calcutta and Rangoon , she arrives in Lae in New Guinea on June 29 , after having covered around three quarters of the distance , and takes off from there on July 2 , around the last stretch - the Pacific - get over with. She flies to Howland Island , where she wants to make one last stop, but never arrives there.
- July 19 : The large-scale search for the Lockheed Electra with Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan on board is discontinued. Two years later, the two are officially declared dead.
- The German astronomer Karl Wilhelm Reinmuth discovered numerous asteroids that year , including on January 8 (1409) Isko , (1410) Margret and (1411) Brauna and on October 11 (1438) Wendeline , (1439) Vogtia and (1440) Rostia .
- January 9th : Finnish astronomer Yrjö Väisälä discovers the asteroid (1424) Sundmania .
- The French astronomer Louis Boyer discovered several asteroids from Algiers: (1412) Lagrula ( January 19 ), (1413) Roucarie ( February 12 ), (1414) Jérôme ( February 12 ), (1415) Malautra ( March 4 ) and (1416) Renauxa ( March 4th )
- April 1 : The French astronomer Marguerite Laugier discovers the asteroid (1426) Riviera .
- April 2 : Yrjö Väisälä discovers the asteroid (1549) Mikko .
- April 3 : The Finnish astronomer Kustaa Aadolf Inkeri discovers the asteroid (1425) Tuorla .
- May 16 : The South African astronomer Cyril V. Jackson discovers the asteroid (1427) Ruvuma .
- July 2 : Cyril V. Jackson discovers the asteroid (1456) Saldanha .
- July 5 : Cyril V. Jackson discovers the asteroid (1428) Mombasa .
- October 11th : The Russian Grigori Nikolajewitsch Neuimin discovers the asteroid (3036) Krat .
- October 28 : The asteroid (69230) Hermes is discovered by the astronomer Karl Wilhelm Reinmuth while flying past at only 1.5 times the lunar distance .
- November 24th : Yrjö Väisälä discovers the asteroid (1460) Haltia .
- December 30th : Marguerite Laugier discovers the asteroid (1461) Jean-Jacques .
- Harlow Shapley discovers the Sculptor Dwarf Galaxy .
- August 5 : The National Cancer Institute Act is in the United States, the cancer research center National Cancer Institute launched.
- The substance, later named methadone , was developed by Max Bockmühl and Gustav Ehrhart , two employees of the Hoechster Farbwerke belonging to the IG Farben group, with the synthesis number VA 10820.
- The Russian physicist Pjotr Leonidowitsch Kapiza discovered the superfluidity of helium -4 isotopes .
- The French sociologists and philosophers Georges Bataille , Michel Leiris and Roger Caillois join forces to form the Collège de Sociologie . The aim of the Collège is to establish a " sacred sociology " based on the Durkheim School and in particular on Marcel Mauss and Robert Hertz . In addition, Bataille is primarily concerned with the establishment of new myths and the formation of communities that are supposed to put a stop to the threat of fascism .
- May 21 : The Soviet polar expedition , led by Ivan Dmitrijewitsch Papanin , drops an aircraft on a drifting ice floe at the North Pole, which will serve as the first ice drift station in the coming months . Project Manager is Otto Schmidt . Since probably neither Robert Edwin Peary nor Frederick Cook actually reached the North Pole , this is probably the first time humans have set foot in the area at the northernmost point on earth.
- The British Graham Land Expedition , begun in 1934 , is completed.
- April 28 : After four years of construction, the Golden Gate Bridge near San Francisco is completed. The opening ceremonies begin on May 27th and last for a week. The bridge will be opened to road traffic on May 28th after crossing the bridge on foot the day before.
- July 15 : The 128 km Moscow-Volga Canal opens in Russia .
- September 9th : Adolf Hitler lays the foundation stone for a German stadium designed for a capacity of 400,000 spectators on the Nazi party rally grounds in Nuremberg . The horseshoe-shaped arena designed by Albert Speer is intended as the " largest stadium in the world ", among other things, for hosting National Socialist fighting games and the Olympic Games , but does not go beyond the excavation of the excavation pit. Among other things, this creates the Silbersee .
- June 20 : The Soviet pilots Chkalov , Baidukov and Belyakov land in their Tupolev ANT-25 after a non-stop flight from Moscow over the North Pole in the USA.
- June 25th : Ewald Rohlfs reached 2,339 m altitude with his Focke-Wulf Fw 61 helicopter : world record.
- October 25th : Hanna Reitsch flies 108.9 km with her Focke-Wulf Fw 61 helicopter : world record.
- October 30 : On a stretch of motorway near Frankfurt, Bernd Rosemeyer reached a speed of 440 km / h in an Auto-Union car over a distance of more than one kilometer.
- November 19 : With his Thunderbolt , the Englishman Captain George Eyston reaches a new world speed record for automobiles on a salt lake in Utah with a top speed of over 500 km / h.
- Between April 26 and May 25 : After the air raid on Gernika , Pablo Picasso paints the painting Guernica for the world exhibition in Paris .
- July 18 : The House of German Art opens in Munich . The Great German Art Exhibition shown therein is designed as a sales exhibition.
- July 19 : The National Socialist propaganda exhibition “Degenerate Art” opens in Munich. It lasts until November and will then be shown as a traveling exhibition in several cities.
- The Reich Exhibition Creative People takes place in Düsseldorf . In addition to “new German art”, “new German living” and “new German working” will also be presented. With the exhibition, a completely new district is emerging in Düsseldorf
- The Doerner Institute for the care of the holdings of the Bavarian State Painting Collections is founded.
- January 12th : The film Der Hund von Baskerville by Carl Lamac based on the novel of the same name by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle starts in two Berlin cinemas - it is the first German sound film about Sherlock Holmes .
- January 17 : The film Black Legion ( Secret Society Black Legion ) with Humphrey Bogart in the lead role has its world premiere in New York.
- January 19 : The film Truxa by Hans H. Zerlett has its world premiere at the Alhambra in Berlin. The film makes the leading actress La Jana known all over Germany in one fell swoop.
- April 16 : The Western Comedy Way Out West of Laurel and Hardy was first performed in the United States. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy later call the work their favorite film. In 1938 he received an Oscar nomination for best film music.
- April 28 : Benito Mussolini inaugurates the film city of Cinecittà in Rome .
- May 7th : The dance musical Shall We Dance with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire appears. It is the seventh film they have made together. Directed by Mark Sandrich , while the music was contributed by the songwriting duo George and Ira Gershwin .
- May 11 : The adventure film Captains Courageous ( Manuel ), starring Freddie Bartholomew and Spencer Tracy, based on a story by Rudyard Kipling , premieres in the United States.
- May 17 : Allan Dwan begins shooting the US feature film Heidi, freely based on the novel by Johanna Spyri with Shirley Temple in the title role. The shooting will end in July, the world premiere will take place on October 15th .
- May 26 : The boxing film Kid Galahad with Edward G. Robinson , Bette Davis and Wayne Morris in the lead roles has its world premiere. Humphrey Bogart can be seen in a supporting role.
- August 27 : The crime film Dead End, based on the novel by Sidney Kingsley with Humphrey Bogart , Joel McCrea , and Sylvia Sidney in the leading roles, has its world premiere.
- August 31 : Hans Detlef Sierck's melodrama To New Shores has its world premiere in Berlin. It is based on the novel of the same name by Lovis H. Lorenz and was shot in the Babelsberg studio in Berlin. With her first German feature film, the leading actress Zarah Leander made her breakthrough with the audience.
- October 27th : La mujer de nadie by Adela Sequeyro with cinematographer Alex Phillips , premiered in Mexico City, is the first Mexican film to be directed by a woman.
- October 29th : Ernst Lubitsch's film Angel with Marlene Dietrich has its world premiere.
- November: Alfred Hitchcock's early work Young and Innocent appears.
- December 21 : Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs , the first feature-length animated film from Walt Disney , Premiere has in front of a purely adult audience.
- With the film Think Fast, Mr. Moto ( Mr. Moto and the smugglers' gang ), the main actor Peter Lorre becomes known to a wider audience. Another film in the series Thank You, Mr. Moto ( Mr. Moto and the China Treasure ), based on the character of the Japanese secret agent Mr. Moto , created by John Phillips Marquand , follows in the same year .
- September 21 : The Fantasy -Buch The Hobbit ( The Hobbit ) by JRR Tolkien will be published.
- First publication of Ödön von Horváth's second novel, Jugend ohne Gott
- Ernst Sommer publishes message from Granada .
- The first Lurchi booklet appears.
Music and theater
- March 20 : The ballet Die Kirmes von Delft by Sonja Korty (choreography and libretto) based on music by Hermann Reutter is premiered in Baden-Baden as part of the music festival of the International Society for New Music .
- April 1st : Amelia Goes to the Ball , a grotesque opera by Gian Carlo Menotti , premieres at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia .
- April 2 : The play Figaro gets a divorce from Odon von Horváth as a continuation of Beaumarchais ' comedy The great day, or The Marriage of Figaro is at the Deutsches Theater premiered in Prague.
- June 2 : The unfinished opera Lulu by the Austrian composer Alban Berg premiered posthumously at the Zurich Opera House . The literary models for the work are the two tragedies Erdgeist and The Pandora's Box by Frank Wedekind , the wording of which the composer has left almost unchanged. The work also celebrates a success as a fragment.
- June 8 : The scenic cantata Carmina Burana by Carl Orff is premiered with success at the Opera in Frankfurt am Main under the musical direction of Bertil Wetzelsberger and the direction of Oskar Wälterlin . The Middle Latin and Middle High German texts come from the medieval song and drama texts of the same name .
- July 31 : The second night of the Amazons takes place in the park of the Nymphenburg Palace , which is illuminated at night .
- September 3 : The operetta Hofball in Schönbrunn by August Pepöck with the libretto by Josef Wenter is premiered in Vienna . Bruno Hardt-Warden contributed the lyrics .
- September 24 : Ödön von Horváth's comedy A Village Without Men is premiered in Prague.
- September 27 : The premiere of the Mask in Blue by Fred Raymond with the text by Günther Schwenn takes place in the Metropol-Theater in Berlin . The operetta is a long-term success, and several numbers from it become evergreens .
- October 3 : The world premiere of the operetta Monika by Nico Dostal takes place in Stuttgart.
- November 24th : The world premiere of the opera Tobias Wunderlich by Joseph Haas takes place in Kassel . The libretto wrote Ludwig Strecker the Younger under the pseudonym Louis Andersen . A text by the Austrian writer Hermann Heinz Ortner served as a template .
- December 22 : At the Central Theater in Leipzig operetta Balkan love of Rudolf Kattnigg premiered.
- The Kalkberg Stadium , an open-air stage in the center of Bad Segeberg based on plans by the architect Fritz Schaller , who took up plans by the garden and landscape designer Wilhelm Heintz from 1927, will be completed by the National Socialist Reich Labor Service after three years of construction . The stadium was named Feierstätte der Nordmark and was officially opened in the same year by Joseph Goebbels and with the performance of the play The Battle of the White Ships by Henrik Herse . It is one of many thing places that are set up for the thing game or the thing movement .
- January 7th : The German nobleman Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld and the Dutch Crown Princess Juliana von Oranien-Nassau marry in The Hague .
- January 24th : Daytona Beach Bike Week takes place for the first time.
- June 3 : The Duke of Windsor , until his abdication the previous year the British King Edward VIII , marries the American Wallis Simpson .
- December 16 : Inmates Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe attempt to escape from the prison island of Alcatraz . Their whereabouts are uncertain; they are believed to be killed in San Francisco Bay . Their bodies are never found, however, which is why rumors of a successful escape persist.
- December 22 : The Supreme Court of Canada finally upholds the tenth paragraph of Charles Vance Millar's will , which promised the bulk of his fortune to the Toronto woman who gave birth to the most children in ten years. The sale had triggered the Great Stork Derby.
- April 12 : The Orthodox Church of Albania becomes autocephalous .
- November 30th : Krikor Bedros XV. Agagianian is elected Armenian Catholic Patriarch of Cilicia . He succeeds the “Kind Father” Avedis Bedros XIV. Arpiarian , who died on October 26th .
- January 31 : A flood of the century on the Ohio River exceeded the levees in the city of Cairo (Illinois) , claimed around 90 lives and caused severe damage.
- March 18 : A gas explosion at New London School in New London , Texas killed 295 people, mostly children.
- May 6 : The airship LZ 129 Hindenburg went up in flames in New Jersey / Lakehurst with 97 people on board during the landing. 36 people were killed. The accident heralded the temporary end of commercial airship travel.
- May 28th : A massive volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea destroyed Rabaul , the largest city on the island at the time, and killed over 400 people.
- September 2 : A major typhoon killed more than 10,000 people in Hong Kong and the surrounding mainland China and caused severe damage.
- November 16 : Aircraft Accident Oostende - From Frankfurt coming, pulled at an unscheduled landing in Ostend an airliner Sabena type Junkers Ju 52 / 3m a factory chimney. All eleven inmates were killed in the crash, including almost the entire family of the former Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse and the Rhine, as well as the German gliding pioneer Arthur Martens .
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
nature and environment
- April 13th : Part of the Sonoran Desert in southern Arizona , named after the organ pipe cactus , is declared Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument .
- June 8th : A solar eclipse can be observed over the Pacific and parts of South America that lasts over seven minutes.
- June 14 : The Itatiaia National Park is created as the first national park in Brazil.
- September 27 : The last known specimen of the Balite tiger is shot in the west of the Indonesian island of Bali .
- The Canadian Prince Edward Island National Park is established.
- January 3rd : The favorite FC Schalke 04 lost the Tschammer Cup 1936 with 1: 2 against VfB Leipzig .
- April 17th : In Hampden Park in Glasgow , 149,547 visitors watch the international match between Scotland and England. It is the highest attendance at a pre-World War II football game.
- May 16 : The " Breslau-Elf " of the German national soccer team inflicts the highest defeat to date on the Danish team with 8-0 in a friendly match in Breslau .
- June: The German Nanga Parbat Expedition 1937 ends, like the German Nanga Parbat Expedition 1934, in a catastrophe. The expedition was buried in an avalanche on June 15th . Ten people are killed.
- June 20 : FC Schalke 04 wins the German championship with a 2-0 win against 1. FC Nürnberg .
- June 30th to July 25th : bicycles with derailleur gears are allowed in the 1937 Tour de France .
- September 14th , world altitude record in a glider by Joachim Küttner
- December 4th : Alexander Alekhine wins back the world chess title by beating Max Euwe .
- January 30th : In response to the award of the Nobel Peace Prize to Carl von Ossietzky last year, Adolf Hitler donates the German National Prize for Art and Science . At the same time, all Germans are forbidden to accept a Nobel Prize “for all future” . Gerdy Troost's draft documents will be presented on December 7th . The first prize winners will be announced three months earlier, on September 7th . These are the architect Paul Ludwig Troost (posthumously), Reichsleiter Alfred Rosenberg , the Asia and south polar explorer Wilhelm Filchner and, as a shared prize, the surgeons August Bier and Ferdinand Sauerbruch .
|price||person||country||Reason for awarding the prize||image|
|Nobel Price for physics||
|United States||"For their experimental discovery of the diffraction of electrons by crystals"|
George Paget Thomson
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry||
Walter Norman Haworth
|United Kingdom||"For his research on carbohydrates and vitamin C "|
|Switzerland||"For his research on carotenoids and flavins as well as vitamins A and B2 "|
|Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine||
Albert von Szent-Györgyi Nagyrápolt
|Hungary||"For his discoveries in the field of biological combustion processes , especially in relation to vitamin C and the catalysis of fumaric acid "|
|Nobel Prize in literature||
Roger Martin du Gard
|France||"For the artistic power and truth with which he portrayed human contrasts and essential aspects of contemporary life in the novel series 'Les Thibault'"|
|Nobel Peace Prize||
Robert Cecil, 1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood
|United Kingdom||Founder and President of the International Peace Campaign|
- January 1 : Porter W. Anderson Jr. , American microbiologist
- January 1st : Petros Markaris , Greek writer
- January 1st : Osvaldo Piro , Argentine bandoneonist and tango composer
- January 2 : Åke Anders Andersson , Swedish ice hockey player († 1989 )
- January 2 : Martin Lauer , German athlete and pop singer († 2019 )
- January 3 : Gernot Böhme , German philosopher
- January 3 : Zygmunt Konieczny , Polish composer
- January 4th : Cosmas Michael Angkur , Indonesian clergyman and bishop
- January 4 : Grace Bumbry , American singer (soprano and mezzo-soprano)
- January 4th : Dyan Cannon , American actress
- January 4th : John Gorman , British musician
- January 6th : Luigi Arienti , Italian cyclist
- January 6th : Paolo Conte , Italian chanson singer, jazz musician and composer
- January 6 : Harri Holkeri , Finnish politician († 2011 )
- January 6 : Nino Tempo , American pop musician
- January 6th : Doris Troy , American soul singer († 2004 )
- January 7 : Ali Soilih , Comorian President († 1978 )
- January 8th : Shirley Bassey , British singer
- January 8th : Wolfgang Hirschmann , German sound engineer and music producer of jazz
- January 8 : Eckart Krumbholz , German writer and editor († 1994 )
- January 8 : Waltraud Lewin , German writer, dramaturge and director († 2017 )
- January 8 : Anton Pashku , Albanian writer and editor († 1995 )
- January 9 : Klaus Schlesinger , German writer and journalist († 2001 )
- January 10 : Simon Atallah , Lebanese Bishop
- January 10 : Gianni Celati , Italian writer and translator
- January 12 : Marie Dubois , French actress († 2014 )
- January 12th : Sigrid Peyerimhoff , German theoretical chemist
- January 13 : Egon Boshof , German historian
- January 14th : Horst Becking , German painter
- January 14 : Billie Jo Spears , American country singer († 2011 )
- January 15 : Margaret O'Brien , American actress
- January 16 : Luiz Bueno , Brazilian racing car driver († 2011 )
- January 16 : Klaus Ensikat , German graphic artist and illustrator
- January 16 : Francis George , Archbishop of Chicago and Cardinal († 2015 )
- January 17 : Prospero Nale Arellano , Philippine bishop-prelate († 2014 )
- January 18 : Ric Cartey , American rockabilly musician and songwriter († 2009 )
- January 18 : John Hume , Northern Irish politician and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate († 2020 )
- January 18 : Dieter Lindner , German athlete
- January 18 : L. David Mech , behavioral scientist
- January 18 : Luzius Wildhaber , Swiss lawyer († 2020 )
- January 19 : David Cass , American economist († 2008 )
- January 19 : Herbert Kraus , Austrian economist († 2018 )
- January 19 : Günter Litfin , The first to die on the Berlin Wall († 1961 )
- January 19 : Joseph Nye , American political scientist, politician, and publicist
- January 19 : Phil Wilson , American jazz trombonist
- January 20 : Regina Schmidt-Zadel , German politician and Member of the Bundestag
- January 21 : Zbigniew Bargielski , Polish composer
- January 22nd : Ludwig Rotthowe , German photographer († 2017 )
- January 23 : Erwin Vetter , German politician and Member of the State Parliament
- January 25 : Ange-Félix Patassé , President of the Central African Republic († 2011 )
- January 25 : Werner Schneyder , Austrian cabaret artist († 2019 )
- January 27 : Fred Åkerström , Swedish songwriter and singer († 1985 )
- January 28 : Helmut F. Spinner , German philosopher, scientific theorist and sociologist
- January 30th : Bruce Johnstone , South African racing car driver
- January 30th : Vanessa Redgrave , British theater and film actress
- January 30th : Boris Wassiljewitsch Spasski , Russian chess player
- January 31 : Regimantas Adomaitis , Lithuanian film and theater actor
- January 31 : Philip Glass , American musician and composer
- January 31 : Johannes Kunisch , German historian († 2015 )
- January 31 : Suzanne Pleshette , American actress († 2008 )
- January 31 : Karin-Huberta Ritter , judge at the German Federal Court of Justice from 1984 to 1998
- February 1st : Audrys Juozas Bačkis , Archbishop of Vilnius and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- February 1 : Don Everly , American musician
- February 2nd : Lea Ackermann , German nun
- February 2 : Martina Arroyo , American opera singer
- February 2nd : Anton Auer , German racing cyclist
- February 2 : Eric Arturo Delvalle , 40th President of Panama († 2015 )
- February 2 : Tony Shelly , New Zealand racing driver († 1998 )
- February 3 : Jacques Barrot , French politician and EU commissioner († 2014 )
- February 3 : Bobby Durham , American jazz drummer († 2008 )
- February 4th : Giampaolo Calanchini , Italian saber fencer († 2007 )
- February 5 : Joachim Schmettau , German sculptor
- February 5 : Rolf Seelmann-Eggebert , German television journalist and aristocratic expert
- February 6 : Rudolf Heinz , German philosopher, psychoanalyst and musicologist
- February 7th : Doris Gercke , German crime novelist
- February 7th : Wendelin Weingartner , Austrian politician, Governor of Tyrol
- February 7th : Paul Zanker , German archaeologist
- February 8 : Aivars Gipslis , Latvian chess grandmaster († 2000 )
- February 8 : Jürgen Huss , German forest scientist
- February 8 : Manfred Krug , German actor and singer († 2016 )
- February 9 : Hildegard Behrens , German singer (soprano) († 2009 )
- February 9 : Fritz Ewert , German football player († 1990 )
- February 10 : Roberta Flack , American pop singer, pianist and songwriter
- February 11 : Anders Bodelsen , Danish writer
- February 11 : Maryse Condé , French writer
- February 11 : Heidi Lambert-Lang , judge at the Federal Court of Justice
- February 12 : Hans Dieter Baroth , German journalist and writer († 2008 )
- February 12 : Victor Emanuel of Savoy , last Crown Prince of the Italian Kingdom
- February 12 : Horst Tautenhahn , German soccer player († 2016 )
- February 13 : Sigmund Jähn , first German in space († 2019 )
- February 14th : Nicole Heesters , German actress
- February 14 : Magic Sam , American blues guitarist and singer († 1969 )
- February 15th : Raymundo Damasceno Assis , Archbishop of Aparecida
- February 15 : Gretel Stadler , German artist
- February 16 : Valentin Bondarenko , Soviet fighter pilot and aspiring astronaut († 1961 )
- February 16 : Yuri Manin , mathematician and director at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in Bonn
- February 16 : Gerhard Päselt , German politician
- February 16 : Horst Peter , German politician († 2012 )
- February 17th : Willi Koslowski , German soccer player
- February 17th : Rita Süssmuth , German politician
- February 17th : Benjamin Whitrow , British theater and film actor († 2017 )
- February 18 : Egon Adler , German cyclist († 2015 )
- February 18 : Rolf Jaeger , German handball player and coach († 2011 )
- February 18 : Elisabeth Roloff , German organist († 2008 )
- February 20 : David Acevedo , Argentine soccer player
- February 20 : Nancy Wilson , American singer († 2018 )
- February 21 : Ron Clarke , Australian athlete († 2015 )
- February 21 : Harald V , King of Norway
- February 22nd : Dubravko Detoni , Croatian composer, pianist and writer
- February 22nd : Joanna Russ , American author († 2011 )
- February 23 : Marc Bleuse , French composer and music teacher
- February 24 : Gunter Huonker , German politician
- February 25 : Dieter Görlitz , German politician
- February 25 : Dietmar Sauermann , German folklorist († 2011 )
- February 25 : Bob Schieffer , American television journalist
- February 26th : Eduardo Arroyo , Spanish painter, graphic artist, set designer and writer († 2018 )
- February 26 : William Ferris , American composer, organist and choir director († 2000 )
- February 26 : Horst-Dieter Tietz , German rector and professor
- February 27 : Hans-Jürgen Schings , German specialist in German
- March 1st : Günther Bosch , German-Romanian tennis trainer
- March 1 : Ottfried Hennig , German politician († 1999 )
- March 2 : Abd al-Aziz Bouteflika , President of Algeria since 1999
- March 3 : Bobby Driscoll , American actor († 1968 )
- March 3rd : Alfred Janson , Norwegian composer, pianist and accordionist († 2019 )
- March 4 : William Deverell , Canadian writer and lawyer
- March 4th : Diana McIntosh , Canadian pianist, composer and performance artist
- March 4 : Barney Wilen , French jazz musician (tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone) († 1996 )
- March 5 : Denny Crum , American basketball coach
- March 5 : Olusegun Obasanjo , Nigerian politician (President)
- March 6th : Daniel Andres , Swiss composer and musician
- March 6 : Ivan F. Boesky , stock market speculator
- March 6 : Doug Dillard , American country singer and composer († 2012 )
- March 6th : Hans-Dieter Grabe , German director
- March 6 : Paul Méfano , French composer and music teacher
- March 6 : Valentina Tereshkova , Soviet cosmonaut, first woman in space
- March 7th : Diethard Aschoff , German historian and Judaist
- March 8 : Juvénal Habyarimana , President of Rwanda († 1994 )
- March 9 : Azio Corghi , Italian composer and music educator
- March 10 : María Kodama , Argentine author, translator and professor of literature
- March 11th : Paciano Basilio Aniceto , Archbishop of the Philippines
- March 13 : Bernhard Askani , German history teacher and textbook author († 2003 )
- March 13 : Vladimir Makanin , Russian writer († 2017 )
- March 14 : Jerzy Adamski , Polish featherweight boxer († 2002 )
- March 14th : Gerhart Lippert , German actor
- March 14th : Igor Menjailow , Russian volcanologist († 1993 )
- March 14 : Paul Tholey , German psychologist († 1998 )
- March 15 : Niele Toroni , Swiss painter who is considered a representative of analytical painting
- March 16 : William L. Armstrong , American businessman and politician († 2016 )
- March 16 : Hushang Golschiri , Persian writer († 2000 )
- March 16 : Attilio Nicora , Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 2017 )
- March 16 : Amos Tversky , psychologist († 1996 )
- March 16 : Dieter Wieland , German documentary filmmaker and author
- March 18 : Rudi Altig , German racing cyclist († 2016 )
- March 18 : Mark Donohue , American Formula 1 racing driver († 1975 )
- March 19 : Egon Krenz , SED General Secretary and Chairman of the Council of State of the GDR
- March 19 : Carlo Mazzone , Italian football player and coach
- March 19 : Ahmed Oudjani , Algerian-French football player († 1998 )
- March 19 : Maurice Roëves , British actor († 2020 )
- March 20 : Lois Lowry , American author for children and young people
- March 20 : Helmut Recknagel , German ski jumper
- March 20 : Jerry Reed , American country musician and actor († 2008 )
- March 21 : Fred Akuffo , Head of State of Ghana († 1979 )
- March 21 : Joseph Gabriel Anastasi , American politician († 2005 )
- March 21 : Tom Flores , American football player and coach
- March 21 : Anton Pfeifer , German politician
- March 21 : Werner Quintens , Belgian priest († 2005 )
- March 22nd : Angelo Badalamenti , Italian composer
- March 22nd : Winfried Böhm , Professor em. for pedagogy
- March 22nd : Armin Hary , German athlete, two-time Olympic champion, two-time European champion
- March 22nd : Jon Hassell , American trumpeter and composer
- March 22nd : Peter Tonger , German music publisher, choir director and reciter
- March 22nd : Peter Vogel , German actor († 1978 )
- March 23 : Ibrahim Abouleish , Egyptian chemist and development worker († 2017 )
- March 23 : Robert Gallo , American microbiologist
- March 24th : Benjamin Luxon , English singer
- March 24 : Peter Matić , Austrian actor († 2019 )
- March 24th : Billy Stewart , American singer and keyboardist († 1970 )
- March 26 : Albert Brülls , German football player († 2004 )
- March 26th : Ernst Burger , German pianist and author
- March 26 : Ahmad Qurai , Head of Government of the Palestinian Territories
- March 27 : Genpei Akasegawa , Japanese visual artist and writer († 2014 )
- March 27 : Johnny Copeland , American blues musician († 1997 )
- March 27 : Alan Hawkshaw , British musician, piano and keyboards
- March 27 : Francesco Janich , Italian football player († 2019 )
- March 27th : Carlo Pietromarchi , Italian racing driver
- March 28 : Ad Abi Karam , Lebanese priest and bishop
- March 29 : Bruno Mora , Italian football player († 1986 )
- March 30 : Warren Beatty , American actor, director, screenwriter, and producer
- March 30th : Detlev von Larcher , German politician (SPD)
- March 31 : Patricia Boyle , American lawyer († 2014 )
- March 31 : Willem Duyn , Dutch rock singer († 2004 )
- March 31 : Sid Ahmed Ghozali , Algerian politician
- March 31 : Hartmut Lange , German writer
- March 31 : Herbert Ninaus , Austrian-Australian national soccer player and coach († 2015 )
- March 31 : Jimmy Vass , American jazz saxophonist and flautist († 2006 )
- April 1 : Mohammad Hamid Ansari , Indian politician
- April 1 : Yılmaz Güney , Kurdish actor and director († 1984 )
- April 1 : Sylvia Rafael , Israeli agent († 2005 )
- April 1 : Werner Spies , German art historian
- April 2nd : Waltraud "Walli" Fischer , German handball player
- April 2 : Alexandra Kluge , German doctor and actress († 2017 )
- April 3 : Annekathrin Bürger , German actress
- April 4 : Thomas Mauch , German cameraman
- April 4th : Lajos Portisch , Hungarian chess player
- April 4 : Hermann Schoppe , German educator and politician (CDU)
- April 4 Patrick Brooking , British officer († 2014 )
- April 5 : Colin Powell , American politician, US Secretary of State
- April 6 : Merle Haggard , American country musician († 2016 )
- April 6 : Richard Heß , German visual artist († 2017 )
- April 6 : Karsten Friedrich Hoppenstedt , German MEP
- April 6 : Memo Morales , Venezuelan singer († 2017 )
- April 6 : Billy Dee Williams , American film actor
- April 8 : Seymour Hersh , American investigative journalist
- April 9 : Barrington J. Bayley , British writer († 2008 )
- April 10 : Isabella Achatovna Akhmadulina , Russian poet, translator and essayist († 2010 )
- April 10 : Manfred Heinrich Wilhelm Autenrieth , German lawyer and politician
- April 10 : Reinhard Brandt , German philosopher
- April 10 : Wolfgang Jehn , German composer († 2017 )
- April 11 : Wolfgang Lüder , German Mayor and Senator for Economics († 2013 )
- April 11 : Gerd Osenberg , German sports coach
- April 11th : Gertrud Zelinsky , German writer
- April 13 : Berge Furre , Norwegian politician, historian and theologian († 2016 )
- April 14 : Donnie Bowshier , American country and rockabilly singer († 2002 )
- April 14th : Jan-Erik Lundqvist , Swedish tennis player
- April 14 : Carlo Mattrel , Italian football player († 1976 )
- April 14 : Sepp Mayerl , Austrian mountaineer († 2012 )
- April 14 : Ryūzō Saki , Japanese writer († 2015 )
- April 14 : Roy Vernon , Welsh football player († 1993 )
- April 15 : Michael Hayden Armacost , American business executive and diplomat
- April 15 : Werner Labsch , German politician († 2012 )
- April 15 : Bob Luman , American country singer († 1978 )
- April 16 : Gabriele Antonini , Italian actor
- April 17 : Ferdinand Piëch , Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the VW Group († 2019 )
- April 18 : Keiko Abe , Japanese composer, marimba player
- April 18 : Barbara Bredow , German artist
- April 18th : Marcia Haydée , Brazilian dancer
- April 18 : Robert Hooks , American actor
- April 19 : Elinor Donahue , American actress
- April 19 : Joseph Estrada , Filipino politician and president
- April 19 : Kaoru Shōji , Japanese writer
- April 19 : Klaus Thunemann , German bassoonist
- April 20 : Nils Claussen , German materials scientist
- April 20 : Jiří Dienstbier , Czech politician and journalist († 2011 )
- April 20 : Wichart von Roëll , German actor
- April 20 : George Takei , American actor
- April 21 : Anna Blume , German photographer
- April 22 : Manolo Juárez , Argentine composer († 2020 )
- April 22nd : Jack Nicholson , American actor
- April 22nd : Jack Nitzsche , American pianist and composer († 2000 )
- April 24 : Vytautas Andriulis , Lithuanian legal historian and professor of legal history († 2017 )
- April 24 : Joe Henderson , American jazz musician (tenor saxophonist) († 2001 )
- April 25 : Bucky Adams , Canadian jazz saxophonist and band leader († 2012 )
- April 25 : Wolfgang Zapf , German sociologist († 2018 )
- April 26 : Jean-Pierre Beltoise , French motorcycle and automobile racing driver († 2015 )
- April 26th : Gus Hutchison , American racing car driver
- April 26th : Hannelies Taschau , German writer
- April 27th : Hermann Benjes , landscape gardener, nature photographer and writer († 2007 )
- April 27 : Sandy Dennis , American actress († 1992 )
- April 27 : Manfred Schubert , German composer, conductor and music critic († 2011 )
- April 27 : Leszek Werner , Polish organist and music teacher († 2014 )
- April 27 : Zhang Jie , Chinese writer
- April 28 : Saddam Hussein , Iraqi President († 2006 )
- April 29 : Ramón Gregorio Abeledo , Argentinian football player
- April 29 : Hasil Adkins , American country, rock and roll and blues musician († 2005 )
- April 29 : Hiromi Akiyama , Japanese sculptor († 2012 )
- April 29 : Donald Arthur , American actor and voice actor († 2016 )
- April 29 : Ralph Kent-Cooke , American racing car driver and racing team owner († 1995 )
- April 29th : Margot Schroeder , German writer
- May 1 : Hans Henrik Andersen , Danish nuclear physicist († 2012 )
- May 2nd : Thomas Billhardt , German photographer and publicist
- May 2nd : Horst Dieter Schlosser , German medievalist and linguist
- May 2 : Gisela Elsner , German writer († 1992 )
- May 2 : Klaus Enders , German motorcycle racer († 2019 )
- May 3 : Hans Cieslarczyk , German football player († 2020 )
- May 4th : Dick Dale , American singer, pioneer of surf rock († 2019 )
- May 5th : Harry Evening , Venezuelan architect and sculptor
- May 5 : Sandy Baron , American actor († 2001 )
- May 5th : Tran Duc Luong , President of Vietnam
- May 6 : Rubin Carter , American boxer and civil rights activist († 2014 )
- May 6 : Karin Lieneweg , German actress and voice actress
- May 7 : Marco Augusto Quiroa , Guatemalan painter and writer († 2004 )
- May 8 : Robert Adams , American photographer
- May 8 : Lola Rebeca Aniyar Sananes de Castro , Venezuelan lawyer, professor and politician († 2015 )
- May 8 : Dennis DeConcini , American politician
- May 8 : Thomas Pynchon , American writer
- May 8 : René del Risco Bermúdez , Dominican writer († 1972 )
- May 10 : Tamara Press , Soviet shot putter and discus thrower
- May 10 : Enno Thümler , German politician
- May 11 : Dieter Grimm , German legal scholar and judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- May 12th : Susan Hampshire , British actress
- May 12 : Horst Kassner , German motorcycle racer († 2019 )
- May 13 : Jerome Charyn , American writer
- May 13 : Norbert Faustenhammer , Austrian lawyer and diplomat
- May 13 : Gottfried Jäger , German photographer and photo theorist
- May 13 : Roger Zelazny , American writer († 1995 )
- May 14 : Heribert Hellenbroich , President of the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and the BND († 2014 )
- May 14 : Burkhard Jähnke , Vice President of the Federal Court of Justice
- May 15 : Madeleine Albright , US politician
- May 15th : Karin Krog , Norwegian jazz singer
- May 15 : Trini Lopez , Latin American singer († 2020 )
- May 15 : Radoslav Zapletal , Czech violinist and composer († 2010 )
- May 16 : Antonio Ubaldo Rattín , Argentinian football player
- May 17 : Hazel R. O'Leary , American politician
- May 18 : Paul Johnson , American ice hockey player († 2016 )
- May 18 : Jacques Santer , Luxembourg politician and Prime Minister
- May 19 : Johan Asplund , Swedish sociologist († 2018 )
- May 19 : Sylvia Rickard , Canadian composer
- May 20 : Iuri Akobia , Georgian author († 2014 )
- May 20 : Peter von Matt , Swiss Germanist
- May 20 : Franz Steinkühler , German trade unionist, chairman of IG Metall
- May 21 : Mengistu Haile Mariam , Ethiopian dictator
- May 21 : Hans Peter Schmitz , German politician and Member of the Bundestag
- May 23 : Rupert Scholz , German politician
- May 23 : John Shaw , Australian sailor
- May 24th : Charly Antolini , Swiss jazz drummer
- May 24th : Maryvonne Dupureur , French athlete and Olympian († 2008 )
- May 24 : Bernhard Hänsel , German archaeologist († 2017 )
- May 24 : Archie Shepp , American jazz musician, composer, literary and theater scholar
- May 25 : Klaus Brunnstein , German computer scientist († 2015 )
- May 25 : Friedrich Dieckmann , German writer
- May 26 : Neil Richard Ardley , English pianist and composer († 2004 )
- May 26 : Yehuda Yannay , Israeli composer
- May 27 : Andrei Georgijewitsch Bitow , Russian writer († 2018 )
- May 27 : Eva Christian , German actress
- May 29th : Alois Kothgasser , Archbishop of Salzburg
- May 29 : Irmin Schmidt , German musician
- May 29th : Alwin Schockemöhle , German show jumper
- May 30th : Claes Andersson , Finnish-Swedish writer, doctor, politician and jazz musician († 2019 )
- May 31 : Hartmut Eggert , German literary scholar and university professor
- May 31 : Louis Hayes , American jazz drummer
- May 31 : Gerd Hergen Lübben , German writer
- May 31 : Winfried Schlepphorst , German musicologist, organist and organ monument curator († 2006 )
- June 1 : Morgan Freeman , American actor
- June 1 : Colleen McCullough , Australian writer († 2015 )
- June 1 : Ezio Pascutti , Italian football player and coach († 2017 )
- June 2 : Wilhelm Friedrich Arens , German politician († 2011 )
- June 2nd : Pierre Favre , Swiss jazz drummer and percussionist
- June 2 : Rosalyn Higgins , Member of the International Court of Justice
- June 2 : Klaus-Michael Kühne , German entrepreneur (freight forwarder)
- June 3rd : Jean-Pierre Jaussaud , French racing car driver
- June 4 : Minoru Betsuyaku , Japanese playwright († 2020 )
- June 4 : Freddy Fender , American country singer († 2006 )
- June 4th : Sybill Storz , German entrepreneur
- June 6 : Alexander Demandt , German ancient historian
- June 7th : Roberto Blanco , German pop singer
- June 7th : Almut Eggert , German actress and voice actress
- June 7th : Roberto Fernández , Argentine jazz trumpeter
- June 7th : Neeme Järvi , Estonian conductor
- June 7th : Hannjost Lixfeld , German folklorist († 1998 )
- June 7th : Claus Peymann , German theater director and artistic director
- June 7 : Teddy Redell , American rockabilly, rock 'n' roll, and country musician
- June 7 : John Williamson , British economist
- June 8 : Bruce McCandless , American astronaut († 2017 )
- June 9th : Harald Rosenthal , German marine biologist and fisheries scientist
- June 9 : Richard Schmitz , German hotelier
- June 10 : Luciana Paluzzi , Italian actress
- June 11 : Nadhmi Shakir Auchi , British businessman
- June 11th : Rino Marchesi , Italian football coach
- June 11 : David Bryant Mumford , English mathematician
- June 12 : Vladimir Igorewitsch Arnold , Russian mathematician († 2010 )
- June 12th : Antal Festetics , Austrian zoologist
- June 12th : Edmund Herr , German soccer player
- June 12 : Chips Moman , American music producer and composer († 2016 )
- June 12 : Christian Thiel , German philosopher
- June 13 : Volker Ludwig , German playwright and theater director
- June 13 : Heinrich Niewerth , German politician
- June 13 : Raj Reddy , Indian-American computer scientist
- June 13th : Erich Ribbeck , German soccer coach and player
- June 13th : Hans Vultink , Dutch carom player, world and European champion
- June 14 : Hans-Ulrich Klose , German politician
- June 14 : Jørgen Leth , Danish filmmaker and poet
- June 15 : Herbert Feuerstein , German cabaret artist and entertainer
- June 15 : Anna Hazare , Indian civil rights activist
- June 15 : Waylon Jennings , American country musician († 2002 )
- June 16 : Hannelore Mensch , Minister for Labor and Wages of the GDR
- June 16 : Simeon Sakskoburggotski , last Bulgarian tsar
- June 17th : Walter Berschin , German philologist
- June 18 : Johann Schadenbauer , Austrian composer and conductor
- June 19 : André Glucksmann , French philosopher and essayist († 2015 )
- June 19 : Gerhard Zech , Bavarian politician
- June 20 : Piero Heliczer , Italian-American underground filmmaker († 1993 )
- June 20 : Jerry Keller , American singer and songwriter
- June 20 : Adolf J. Schwab , Professor of Electrical Engineering
- June 22nd : Chris Blackwell , rock music producer
- June 23 : Martti Ahtisaari , Finnish diplomat and politician
- June 24 : Renzo Arbore , Italian radio presenter, actor and musician
- June 24th : Anita Desai , Indian writer
- June 25 : Karin Graßhof , judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- June 25 : Keizō Obuchi , 84th Japanese Prime Minister († 2000 )
- June 25 : Victor Yoran , Russian cellist and composer
- June 26 : Robert C. Richardson , American physicist († 2013 )
- June 27 : Alexander Heimann , Swiss crime writer († 2003 )
- June 28 : Juan José Saer , Argentine writer († 2005 )
- June 30th : Hiltrud Kier , Austrian art historian
- June 30th : Michael von Biel , German composer and cellist
- June 30 : Ludwig Scholz , German politician († 2005 )
- July 1 : Claus-Wilhelm Canaris , German civil lawyer and legal philosopher
- July 1 : Lydia Makhubu , Swaziland chemist
- July 2nd : Richard Petty , American racing driver
- July 3 : Joochen Laabs , German writer
- July 3 : Tom Stoppard , British playwright
- July 4th : Frans Aerenhouts , Belgian cyclist
- July 4th : Sonja Haraldsen , wife of the Norwegian King Harald V.
- July 4th : Wolf von Lojewski , German television journalist
- July 5 : Anke Fuchs , German politician († 2019 )
- July 5 : Nita Lowey , American politician
- July 6th : Vladimir Dawidowitsch Ashkenazi , Russian pianist and conductor
- July 6 : Ned Beatty , American actor
- July 6 : Bessie Head , Botswana writer († 1986 )
- July 7 : Giovanni Arrighi , Italian sociologist († 2009 )
- July 7th : Tung Chee-hwa , Chinese businessman and politician
- July 8 : Otto Forster , German mathematician
- July 8 : Shinji Nagashima , Japanese manga artist († 2005 )
- July 9 : Peter Beil , German pop singer, trumpeter, composer and band leader († 2007 )
- July 9 : David Hockney , British artist
- July 9 : Peter Märthesheimer , German screenwriter († 2004 )
- July 10 : Kurt Bartsch , German poet and prose author († 2010 )
- July 12th : Howie Casey , English saxophonist
- July 12 : Raymond Ceulemans , Belgian billiards player
- July 12 : Bill Cosby , American actor
- July 12 : Lionel Jospin , French Prime Minister
- July 12 : Ernst Wendt , German theater director († 1986 )
- July 13 : Ilse Brusis , German politician
- July 14 : Claude Bloodgood , American murderer and chess player († 2001 )
- July 15 : Demir Gökgöl , Turkish actor († 2012 )
- July 15 : Robert Wohlleben , German poet, essayist, translator and publisher
- July 16 : Andrija Anković , Yugoslav football player and coach († 1980 )
- July 17th : Andreas von Bülow , German politician
- July 17th : Willi Dungl , Austrian wellness guru († 2002 )
- July 17 : Maury Schleicher , American football player († 2004 )
- July 18 : Hunter S. Thompson , American writer and reporter († 2005 )
- July 19 : Thomas Ammer , German historian and GDR opposition activist
- July 19 : George Hamilton IV. , American country singer († 2014 )
- July 19 : Richard Jordan , American actor († 1993 )
- July 20 : Mario Arpino , Italian general
- July 20 : Peter Kulka , German architect
- July 21 : Leoš Faltus , Czech composer and music teacher
- July 21 : Walter Link , German politician († 2010 )
- July 22nd : Heik Afheldt , German science journalist and editor
- July 22nd : Otfried Hofius , German theologian and professor
- July 22nd : Christa Kleinhans , German soccer player
- July 24 : Jürgen Rochlitz , German scientist and politician († 2019 )
- July 24th : Wilfried Vogel , German soccer player
- July 25 : John Harris Armstrong , American actor († 1992 )
- July 25 : Anders Cleve , Finnish writer († 1985 )
- July 26th : Peter Fleischmann , German director
- July 27 : Peter Damm , German horn player
- July 27 : Helmut Fendel , German football player († 2019 )
- July 28 : Kurt Düwell , German historian
- July 28 : Bernal Flores , Costa Rican composer
- July 28th : Ursula Stock , German sculptor, painter and draftsman
- July 28th : Francis Veber , French journalist, screenwriter, film director and producer
- July 29 : Daniel McFadden , American econometrician, Nobel Prize winner
- July 31 : Mauro Bianchi , Belgian racing driver
- July 31 : Willi Erdmann , judge at the Federal Court of Justice
- August 2nd : María Duval , Mexican actress and singer
- August 2 : Fernando Torres Durán , Roman Catholic clergyman († 2019 )
- August 3 : Klaus Peter Cadsky , German-Swiss cartoonist († 2011 )
- August 3 : Andrés Gimeno , Spanish tennis player († 2019 )
- August 3 : Reiner Groß , German archivist and historian
- August 4 : Richard Lee Armstrong , Canadian geologist and geochemist († 1991 )
- August 5 : Herb Brooks , American ice hockey coach († 2003 )
- August 5 : Klaus Meyer , German soccer player († 2014 )
- August 6 : Charlie Haden , American jazz bassist († 2014 )
- August 6 : Baden Powell de Aquino , Brazilian musician († 2000 )
- August 7th : Ursula Sieg , German actress and voice actress
- August 7th : Magic Slim , American blues guitarist, singer and songwriter († 2013 )
- August 8 : Tom Georgeson , British actor
- August 8 : Dustin Hoffman , American actor
- August 8 : Cornelis Vreeswijk , Dutch-Swedish troubadour, composer and poet († 1987 )
- August 9 : Ronald William Amess , Australian ice hockey player († 2011 )
- August 9 : Hans Nowak , German football player († 2012 )
- August 10 : Hartmut Atsma , German historian and diplomat († 2009 )
- August 10 : Eddie Meador , American football player
- August 10 : Anatoly Alexandrovich Sobchak , Russian politician († 2000 )
- August 13 : Liu Dehai , Chinese pipa player, composer and music teacher († 2020 )
- August 16 : Jörg Baetge , German economist
- August 16 : David Behrman , American composer, sound and installation artist, music educator and pioneer of computer music
- August 16 : Lorraine Gary , American actress
- August 16 : Rudi Thurow , GDR border soldier
- August 17 : Michael Louis Fitzgerald , American Archbishop and Diplomat, Cardinal
- August 19 : Niall Mac Aindriú , Irish politician († 2006 )
- August 19 : Peter Kauffold , animal breeding researcher and minister of the GDR († 2014 )
- August 20 : Martin Amelung , German lawyer and criminal defense attorney († 2006 )
- August 20 : Jean-Louis Petit , French conductor, composer, pianist and organist
- August 20 : Georg Thoma , German ski jumper
- August 22 : Johan Anthierens , Belgian journalist and writer († 2000 )
- August 22nd : Enrique García Asensio , Spanish conductor and music teacher
- August 22nd : Eberhard Busch , German-Swiss Protestant Reformed pastor and professor of theology
- August 22nd : Malachi Favors , American jazz bassist († 2004 )
- August 22nd : Francesco Musso , Italian Boxing Olympic Champion
- August 24 : Moshood Abiola , Nigerian politician and businessman († 1998 )
- August 24 : Otto Dann , German historian and author († 2014 )
- August 25 : Klaus Wildbolz , Swiss actor († 2017 )
- August 26th : Nina Companéez , French screenwriter and director († 2015 )
- August 26 : Cornelius Kweku Ganyo , Ghanaian percussionist and dancer († 2003 )
- August 26th : Blanca Rosa Gil , Cuban singer
- August 26 : Jürgen Kross , German writer († 2019 )
- August 26 : Otto Schaden , American Egyptologist († 2015 )
- August 27 : Alice Coltrane , American jazz musician († 2007 )
- August 27 : Tommy Sands , American singer and actor
- August 27 : Phil Shulman , Scottish musician
- August 28 : Joe Osborn , American studio musician († 2018 )
- August 29 : James Florio , American politician
- August 29 : Dieter Kalenbach , German comic artist
- August 30 : Oleg Andrejewitsch Andrejew , Russian author and educator
- August 30th : Gerhard Maier , Protestant theologian and Protestant bishop
- August 31 : Gunter Hampel , German jazz musician
- August 31 : Gilles Latulippe , Canadian theater director, actor, director and playwright († 2014 )
- August 31 : Bobby Parker , American guitarist († 2013 )
- September 1 : Peter Gaehtgens , German physiologist, President of the University Rectors' Conference
- September 1 : Wolfgang Hess , Swiss voice actor and actor († 2016 )
- September 1 : Karl Otto Hondrich , German sociologist († 2007 )
- September 1st : Allen Jones , British Pop Art artist
- September 1 : Henrik Stangerup , Danish author and film director († 1998 )
- September 2 : Giampiero Biscaldi , Italian racing driver († 2014 )
- September 2nd : Hans Bols , Carnival speaker († 2005 )
- September 2nd : Willi Giesemann , German soccer player
- September 2 : Moisés Moleiro , Venezuelan politician and historian († 2002 )
- September 2 : Jörg Schönbohm , German politician († 2019 )
- September 2nd : Monika Taubitz , German writer and poet
- September 4 : Garnet Brooks , Canadian singer and vocal teacher († 2009 )
- September 4th : Dawn Fraser , Australian swimmer
- September 5 : Antonio Angelillo , Argentine-Italian football player and coach († 2018 )
- September 6 : Wolf-Dieter Hauschild , German conductor, choir director, artistic director and university professor
- September 7th : Birgit Breuel , German politician
- September 7th : Erwin Josef Ender , Bishop and Apostolic Nuncio in the FRG
- September 7 : Gert Pinkernell , German Romance studies and literary scholar († 2017 )
- September 8th : Cüneyt Arkın , Turkish actor, screenwriter, film director and producer
- September 8 : Bernhard Blume , German photographer († 2011 )
- September 8 : Helga Hahnemann , German entertainer, cabaret artist and actress († 1991 )
- September 8th : Olaf Kübler , German jazz saxophonist
- September 9 : Horst Ademeit , German artist († 2010 )
- September 9 : Uwe Herms , German writer
- September 10 : Daniel Defert , French sociologist
- September 10 : Jared Diamond , American evolutionary biologist, physiologist, and biogeographer
- September 11 : Leif Frimann Anisdahl , Norwegian graphic designer and postage stamp artist
- September 11th : Paola Ruffo di Calabria , Queen of Belgium
- September 11 : Tomas Venclova , Lithuanian-speaking poet and writer
- September 12 : Gus Backus , American musician and pop singer († 2019 )
- September 12th : Wayne Cogswell , American rock and roll musician and songwriter
- September 13 : Don Bluth , American director, producer and screenwriter
- September 13 : Bertold Sommer , judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- September 14 : David Heywood Anderson , British lawyer and diplomat
- September 14th : Sigrid Brunk , German writer
- September 14th : Renzo Piano , Italian architect
- September 15 : Fernando de la Rúa , Argentine politician, President of Argentina († 2019 )
- September 16 : Karel Milota , Czech poet, writer and translator († 2002 )
- September 17th : Ute Angerhoefer , German educator
- September 18 : Geert Müller-Gerbes , German journalist and moderator
- September 19 : José Pedraza , Mexican athlete and Olympic medalist († 1998 )
- September 20 : Gerhard Adolph , German athlete, actor and presenter
- September 20 : Hans-Joachim Jentsch , judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- September 20 : Monica Zetterlund , Swedish singer and actress († 2005 )
- September 23 : Kurt Vossen , German football official, Chairman of Bayer 04 Leverkusen († 2007 )
- September 24th : Helga Hoffmann , German athlete
- September 25 : Horacee Arnold , American jazz drummer
- September 26 : Joop Admiraal , Dutch actor, author and filmmaker († 2006 )
- September 26 : Valentin Sergejewitsch Pavlov , Prime Minister of the Soviet Union († 2003 )
- September 27 : Felipe Arriaga , Mexican singer and actor († 1988 )
- September 27th : Franz Grundträger , German opera singer
- September 27th : Hans-Joachim Lauck , German politician, minister in the GDR
- September 28 : Edward Applebaum , American composer, music educator and psychologist
- September 28 : Heinz Hornig , German football player
- September 28 : Ernst Schubert , German pharmacist
- September 28 : Bob Schul , American long-distance runner
- September 30 : Jurek Becker , German writer († 1997 )
- September 30 : Johannes Grützke , German painter, draftsman and printmaker († 2017 )
- September 30 : Gary Hocking , Rhodesian motorcycle racer († 1962 )
- September 30th : Walentyn Sylwestrow , Ukrainian composer
- October 1st : Hedwig d'Ancona , Dutch politician, geographer and sociologist
- October 1 : John D. Anderson Jr. , American engineer
- October 1st : Peter Stein , German director
- October 2 : Johnnie Cochran , American star lawyer († 2005 )
- October 2 : Michael Graff , Austrian lawyer and politician († 2008 )
- October 2 : Heinz Oliberius , German sculptor († 2001 )
- October 2 : Helga Schütz , German writer
- October 3 : Lothar Hinze , voice actor and director
- October 4th : Franz Vranitzky , Austrian politician, Federal Chancellor, manager
- October 5 : Abi Ofarim , Israeli singer († 2018 )
- October 5 : Barry Switzer , American football coach
- October 6 : Mario Capecchi , American geneticist
- October 6 : Hōzan Yamamoto , Japanese shakuhachi player, composer and university teacher († 2014 )
- October 8th : Eduard Ergartowitsch Rossel , Russian politician, governor
- October 9 : Johann Brait , Austrian politician
- October 9 : Eugen Jegorov , Czech actor and jazz musician († 1992 )
- October 9 : David Prophet , British racing car driver († 1981 )
- October 9 : Peter Zbinden , Swiss racing driver
- October 11 : Virgil Bălan , Romanian table tennis coach († 2008 )
- October 11th : Bobby Charlton , British soccer player
- October 13 : Rudolf Seiters , German politician, Federal Minister
- October 16 : Joe Castellano , American medic and racing car driver
- October 16 : Roger Anthony Petitto , American actor
- October 16 : John Whitmore , British racing car driver, consultant and non-fiction author († 2017 )
- October 17 : Peter Nilson , Swedish astronomer and novelist († 1998 )
- October 18 : Boyd Dowler , American football player
- October 18 : Gerhard Schäfer , judge at the Federal Court of Justice
- October 19 : Teresa Ciepły , Polish athlete and Olympian († 2006 )
- October 19 : Gerhard Dongus , German actor, news anchor and presenter
- October 19 : Hans Conrad Zander , Swiss German-speaking journalist and writer
- October 20 : Wanda Jackson , American rockabilly and country singer
- October 20 : Heinz Dieter Stodolkowitz , judge at the Federal Court of Justice
- October 21 : Édith Scob , French actress († 2019 )
- October 22 : Elaine Hatfield , American psychologist and sexologist
- October 22nd : Manos Loïzos , Greek composer († 1982 )
- October 22 : Tadeáš Salva , Czech composer († 1995 )
- October 23 : Xhevat Lloshi , Albanian linguist
- October 25 : Julian Schutting , Austrian writer
- October 26 : Thomas Küttler , Lutheran theologian and superintendent of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Saxony († 2019 )
- October 26 : William Lubtchansky , French cameraman († 2010 )
- October 27 : Peter Lustig , German TV presenter († 2016 )
- October 28 : Graham Bond , English jazz and blues musician († 1974 )
- October 28 : Helge Breloer , German expert, lawyer and non-fiction author († 2011 )
- October 28 : Georg Martin Lange , German television director, copywriter and author († 2020 )
- October 28 : Lenny Wilkens , American basketball player and coach
- October 29 : Christian Anatole , French Romanist and Occitanist († 1987 )
- October 30 : Rudolfo Anaya , American writer († 2020 )
- October 30th : Heinrich Augustin , German politician
- October 30th : Claude Lelouch , French film director, film producer and actor
- October 31 : Tom Paxton , American folk singer, songwriter, and children's book author
- November 1 : Bill Anderson , American country singer and songwriter
- November 1 : Dieter Beckmann , German psychologist († 2012 )
- November 1st : Jürgen Echternach , German politician († 2006 )
- November 1 : Witta Pohl , German actress († 2011 )
- November 1 : Tom Waddell , American doctor and athlete († 1987 )
- November 2 : Wassilios E. Fthenakis , Greek-German educator, anthropologist, geneticist and psychologist
- November 3 : Rolf-E. Breuer , German bank manager
- November 3 : FK Waechter , German draftsman and writer, theater and film director († 2005 )
- November 4th : Werner Aderhold , German musicologist
- November 5 : Harris Yulin , American actor
- November 6th : Horst Hano , German television journalist
- November 7th : Alberto Grau , Venezuelan composer, conductor and music teacher
- November 7th : Konrad Schily , German physician and university politician
- November 9th : Eddie Blay , Ghanaian boxer († 2006 )
- November 9 : Martin Schwab , German actor
- November 10 : Karin Eickelbaum , German film and theater actress († 2004 )
- November 10 : Werner Giggenbach , German geochemist, geologist and volcanologist († 1997 )
- November 10 : Zdzisław Piernik , Polish tuba player
- November 11th : André Brugiroux , French globetrotter and writer
- November 11th : Dick Celeste , American politician
- November 12 : Mills Lane , US referee
- November 12th : Irene Rodrian , German writer and screenwriter
- November 14th : Vittorio Adorni , Italian cyclist
- November 15 : Gabriele Ferro , Italian conductor
- November 15 : Yaphet Kotto , American actor
- November 16 : Lothar Späth , German politician, Prime Minister of Baden-Württemberg († 2016 )
- November 18 : Ulrich Wildgruber , German actor († 1999 )
- November 19 : Tamara Bunke , guerrillas in Latin America at the side of Che Guevara († 1967 )
- November 20 : René Kollo , Berlin tenor (chamber singer)
- November 20 : Ruth Laredo , American pianist († 2005 )
- November 21 : Bernard Bot , Dutch politician
- November 21 : Marlo Thomas , American actress and producer
- November 22nd : Theophil Antonicek , Austrian musicologist († 2014 )
- November 22nd : Roland Berger , German entrepreneur as well as business and political advisor
- November 22 : Nikolai Kapustin , Ukrainian composer and pianist († 2020 )
- November 22nd : Burghard Rieger , German computational linguist and semioticist
- November 22 : Joachim Siol , judge at the Federal Court of Justice
- November 23 : Karl Mildenberger , German boxer († 2018 )
- November 23 : Karol Modzelewski , Polish historian († 2019 )
- November 24 : Jürgen Raschert , German sociologist († 2012 )
- November 25th : Hans Andree , German university lecturer and professor
- November 25 : Kazimieras Antanavičius , Lithuanian economist and politician († 1998 )
- November 26th : Léo Lacroix , French ski racer
- November 29th : Jo Brauner , German news anchor
- November 29 : Johan Jørgen Holst , Norwegian politician of the Labor Party († 1994 )
- November 29 : Tom Trana , Swedish rally driver († 1991 )
- November 29th : Tom Witkowski , German actor, director and lecturer
- November 30th : Eduard Artemjew , Russian composer of film music
- November 30th : Ridley Scott , British director
- November 30th : Tom Simpson , English cyclist († 1967 )
- December 1 : Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga , President of Latvia
- December 2nd : Chris Bristow , British Formula 1 racing driver († 1960 )
- December 2 : Enver Bukić , Slovenian chess grandmaster († 2017 )
- December 3 : Bobby Boyd , American football player († 2017 )
- December 4th : Erich Ansorge , German economic functionary
- December 4th : William Lombardy , American chess player († 2017 )
- December 5 : Sotìr Ferrara , Italian bishop of the Eparchy Piana degli Albanesi († 2017 )
- December 5 : Wolfgang Krueger , German politician († 2018 )
- December 6 : Jiří Kodet , Czech actor († 2005 )
- December 6 : Richard Riess , German theologian
- December 6 : Alberto Spencer , Ecuadorian football player and consul († 2006 )
- December 7th : Ken Colley , British actor
- December 8th : Margot Werner , Austrian ballet artist and chanson singer († 2012 )
- December 9 : Herbert Hechtel , German composer († 2014 )
- December 10 : Karl zu Schwarzenberg , Czech politician
- December 12th : Connie Francis , American singer and actress
- December 12th : Michael Jeffery , Australian Military Officer and Governor General
- December 12th : Joop van Oosterom , Dutch entrepreneur and chess player († 2016 )
- December 12th : Judy Tegart , Australian tennis player
- December 13th : Rob Houwer , Dutch film producer, film director and screenwriter
- December 13 : Paul Maar , German children's author, illustrator, screenwriter and playwright
- December 13 : Yvan Pestalozzi , Swiss iron sculptor
- December 13 : Hans Dieter Stöver , German writer († 2020 )
- December 15th : Andreas Klaus , German motorcycle racer
- December 15 : Peter Kurt Würzbach , German politician
- December 16 : Joe Farrell , American jazz musician († 1986 )
- December 17th : Martín Aguirre Gomensoro , Uruguayan journalist († 2016 )
- December 18 : Edgar Hoppe , German actor and voice actor
- December 19 : Wolfgang Höflinger , German soccer player
- December 19 : Barry Mazur , American mathematician
- December 20 : Manfred Lahnstein , German politician
- December 20 : Ekkehard Wachmann , German entomologist
- December 21 : Jane Fonda , American film actress
- December 21 : David Levy , Israeli politician
- December 22nd : Christian Speck , Swiss politician († 2005 )
- December 22nd : Renate Welsh , Austrian author for children and young people
- December 23 : Peter Medak , Hungarian director
- December 24th : Bernt Rosengren , Swedish jazz tenor saxophonist and flutist
- December 25 : Maung Aye , Vice President of Myanmar
- December 25th : Jan Peter Beckmann , German philosopher
- December 25th : Ernst Röhl , German satirist and cabaret artist († 2015 )
- December 26th : Franz Buchrieser , Austrian actor
- December 26 : John Horton Conway , English mathematician († 2020 )
- December 26 : Rainer Offergeld , German politician
- December 27th : Günter Ahrends , German English and theater scholar
- December 28 : Bengt Gunnar Richard Ahlfors , Finnish-Swedish author, director, playwright and composer
- December 28th : Ratan Tata , Indian manager
- December 29 : Michael Adams , English painter
- December 29th : Maumoon Abdul Gayoom , President of the Maldives
- December 29 : Dieter Thomas Heck , German showmaster and entertainer († 2018 )
- December 30th : Gordon Banks , English football player († 2019 )
- December 30th : Sergio Castelletti , Italian football player and coach († 2004 )
- December 30th : John Hartford , American songwriter († 2001 )
- December 31 : Nicolas Born , German writer († 1979 )
- December 31 : Anthony Hopkins , British-American actor
- December 31 : Paul Spiegel , President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany († 2006 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Dirk Ahlers , German entrepreneur
- Francisco Xavier do Amaral , East Timorese politician († 2012 )
- Eli Amir , Israeli writer
- Fritz Arend , German painter, glass painter and picture maker († 1998 )
- Giovanni Arvedi , Italian industrialist
- Muho Asllani , Albanian politician
- Rifaat al-Assad , Syrian politician
- Riccardo Assereto , Italian paleontologist and geologist († 1976 )
- Atilla Ateş , Turkish general
- Farah Mohamed Jama Awl , Somali writer († 1991 )
- Heinz Balthes , German set designer
- Paul Brandvik , American composer, choir conductor and music teacher
- Jimmy Dell , American rockabilly, country and gospel musician and preacher
- Reinhard E. Fischer , German linguist, name researcher and translator
- Wolfgang Funke , German writer († 2009 )
- John Graves , American racing car driver
- John Harmon , American composer, jazz pianist and music educator
- Gilles Katz , French actor, director and screenwriter
- Jacobus Kloppers , South African organist and musicologist
- Aaron Krosnick , American violinist and music educator
- Wolf Moser , German musician and writer
- Bernhard Müller-Hülsebusch , German journalist and book author († 2020 )
- Alicja Patey-Grabowska , Polish poet, children's book author, translator and literary critic
- Klaus Richrath , German architect, urban planner and university lecturer († 2012 )
- Miloslav Růžek , Czech saxophonist
- Jusuf Sanei , Iranian Grand Ayatollah, Marja-e taqlid and politician
- Jimmy Stayton , American rockabilly musician
- Rolf Tophoven , German journalist and terrorism expert
- Eva-Maria Werth , German voice actress and actress
- Yazid Zerhouni , Algerian politician
- January 1 : Karl von der Aa , German business educator (* 1876 )
- January 2nd : André d'Erlanger , French racing driver (* 1895 )
- January 3 : Anna von Krane , German writer (* 1853 )
- January 5 : Sofie Röhr-Brajnin , Polish-German opera singer (* 1861 )
- January 8 : Richard Anschütz , German chemist (* 1852 )
- January 10 : John Howard , Canadian athlete (* 1888 )
- January 12th : Heinrich Christian Graf von Attems-Heiligenkreuz , Austrian KuK state president in the Duchy of Carniola and Privy Councilor (* 1858 )
- January 15 : Josef Steinbach , Austrian weightlifter (* 1879 )
- January 17 : Robert D. Carey , American politician (* 1878 )
- January 18 : Johannes Rudolf Max Adler , German historian, literary scholar and educator (* 1867 )
- January 20 : Richard Benno Adam , German portrait and horse painter (* 1873 )
- January 23 : Sophie Pagay , Austrian actress (* 1857 / 1860 )
- January 23 : Marie Prevost , Canadian actress (* 1898 )
- January 24th : Andrew Jackson Montague , American politician (* 1862 )
- January 24th : Karl Wüstefeld , German rector, organist and local researcher (* 1857 )
- January 25 : Harold Samuel , English pianist and composer (* 1879 )
- January 30th : Henri Duvernois , French writer (* 1875 )
- February 1 : Nikolai Muralow , Russian revolutionary and commander of the Red Army (* 1877 )
- February 1 : Georgi Pyatakov , Russian revolutionary and Soviet statesman (* 1890 )
- February 4 : Selma Lohse , German politician (* 1883 )
- February 5 : Lou Andreas-Salomé , German writer, narrator and essayist (* 1861 )
- February 6 : Jane Atché , French painter, graphic artist and poster artist (* 1872 )
- February 7th : Anna Jäger , Austrian-German opera singer (* 1862 )
- February 10 : Ali-Akbar Davar , Iranian lawyer and politician (* 1888 )
- February 11 : Adolf Gaston Eugen Fick , German ophthalmologist (* 1852 )
- February 14 : Emma Budge , German-American art collector, donor and patron (* 1852 )
- February 15 : Vincenzo Lancia , Italian racing driver and designer (* 1881 )
- February 18 : Lamartine Hardman , American politician (* 1856 )
- February 18 : Grigory Ordzhonikidze , Soviet politician (* 1886 )
- February 25 : Hans Georg Achelis , German theologian, church historian, Christian archaeologist and university professor (* 1865 )
- March 1 : Paul Scheinpflug , German composer and conductor (* 1875 )
- March 4 : Engelbert Wittich , Yenish writer (* 1878 )
- March 6 : Rudolf Otto , Protestant theologian and religious scholar (* 1869 )
- March 7th : Guido von Pogatschnigg , Romanian-German composer, church musician and music teacher (* 1867 )
- March 7th : Waldemar Titzenthaler , German photographer (* 1869 )
- March 8 : Laura Schradin , first female member of the Württemberg state parliament (* 1878 )
- March 9 : Georg Amft , German composer and music teacher (* 1873 )
- March 10 : Yevgeny Zamyatin , Russian revolutionary and writer (* 1884 )
- March 10 : Oskar Steinbach , German motorcycle racer (* 1913 )
- March 11th : Alexei Granowski , Russian theater and film director (* 1890 )
- March 11th : Amé Pictet , Swiss chemist (* 1857 )
- March 12 : Jenő Hubay , Hungarian composer and violin virtuoso (* 1858 )
- March 12 : Charles-Marie Widor , French organist, composer and teacher (* 1844 )
- March 15 : HP Lovecraft , American writer (* 1890 )
- March 17th : Austen Chamberlain , British politician, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate (* 1863 )
- March 19 : Bolesław Raczyński , Polish composer and music teacher (* 1879 )
- March 27 : Axel Anderberg , Swedish architect (* 1860 )
- March 28 : Albert O. Brown , American politician (* 1853 )
- March 28 : James B. Frazier , American politician (* 1856 )
- March 29 : William M. Butler , American politician (* 1861 )
- March 31 : Ahmed İzzet Pasha , Ottoman soldier and statesman (* 1864 )
- April 4th : Paul Gläser , German church musician, composer and church music director (* 1871 )
- April 8 : Arthur Foote , American composer (* 1853 )
- April 9 : Josef Lohner , German motorcycle racer
- April 10 : Kenelm Lee Guinness , British entrepreneur and racing car driver (* 1887 )
- April 11th : Philip van Dijk , Dutch football player (* 1885 )
- April 12 : Sergei von Glasenapp , Russian astronomer (* 1848 )
- April 13 : Ilja Arnoldowitsch Ilf , Russian writer (* 1897 )
- April 20 : James Gillett , American politician (* 1860 )
- April 20 : Gus Hill , American vaudeville artist and producer (* 1858 )
- April 21 : Willy Rehberg , Swiss pianist, composer and music teacher (* 1863 )
- April 23 : Nathan L. Bachman , American politician (* 1878 )
- April 27 : Antonio Gramsci , Italian writer and politician (* 1891 )
- April 29th : Wallace Hume Carothers , inventor of nylon (* 1896 )
- April 29 : Anton Günther , folk poet and singer of the Ore Mountains (* 1876 )
- May 5 : Willem Alberda van Ekenstein , Dutch chemist (* 1858 )
- May 6 : Camillo Berneri , Italian author and anarchist (* 1897 )
- May 7 : Edward W. Naylor , English organist, composer and music teacher (* 1867 )
- May 7 : Alfonso de Silva , Peruvian composer (* 1902 )
- May 9 : Harry S. New , American politician (* 1858 )
- May 10 : Friedrich Uhlhorn , German Protestant theologian and church historian (* 1860 )
- May 11 : Afonso Augusto da Costa , Portuguese politician, multiple finance minister and prime minister of his country (* 1871 )
- May 11 : Viliam Figuš-Bystrý , Slovak composer (* 1875 )
- May 14 : John Burke , American politician (* 1859 )
- May 14 : Earl Snakehips Tucker , American dancer and entertainer (born 1906 )
- May 20 : Max von Arco-Zinneberg , German automobile racing driver (* 1908 )
- May 23 : Ivan Prijatelj , Slovenian cultural and literary historian (* 1875 )
- May 23 : John D. Rockefeller , American entrepreneur (* 1839 )
- May 26 : Theodor Christian Hermann Ahlrichs , German theologian (* 1866 )
- May 26th : Ludolf von Krehl , German medic (* 1861 )
- May 28 : Alfred Adler , Austrian-Jewish psychologist (* 1870 )
- June 1 : Ljubomir Miletitsch , Bulgarian linguist, ethnographer, dialectologist, historian and publicist (* 1863 )
- June 2 : Louis Vierne , French composer and organist (* 1870 )
- June 3 : Emilio Mola , Spanish general and deputy to General Franco (* 1887 )
- June 5 : Hugo Schauinsland , German zoologist (* 1857 )
- June 7th : Jean Harlow , American film actress (* 1911 )
- June 7th : Hugo Röhr , German composer (* 1866 )
- June 10 : Woldemar Lippert , German archivist and historian (* 1861 )
- June 11 : José María Lacalle , Spanish composer (* 1860 )
- June 12 : Boris Feldman , Soviet officer (* 1890 )
- June 12 : Mikhail Tukhachevsky , Marshal of the Soviet Union (* 1893 )
- June 18 : Gaston Doumergue , French statesman (* 1863 )
- June 19 : JM Barrie , Scottish novelist and playwright, creator of Peter Pan (* 1860 )
- June 26 : Adolf Erman , German Egyptologist (* 1854 )
- June 28 : Max Adler , Austrian lawyer, politician and social philosopher (* 1873 )
- July 2 : Amelia Earhart , American aviation pioneer (* 1897 )
- July 6 : Bohdan-Ihor Antonytsch , Ukrainian poet and prose writer (* 1909 )
- July 8 : Axel Bakunts , Armenian writer, translator and screenwriter (* 1899 )
- July 11 : George Gershwin , American composer (* 1898 )
- July 13 : Henry Edward Armstrong , English chemist (* 1848 )
- July 13 : Yevgeny Preobrazhensky , Soviet revolutionary and politician (* 1886 )
- July 14 : Walter Simons , German lawyer and politician (* 1861 )
- July 17 : Harriet Chalmers Adams , American explorer, journalist and photographer (* 1875 )
- July 17 : Paul Julius Arndt , German classical archaeologist (* 1865 )
- July 17 : Carl Hosius , German classical philologist (* 1866 )
- July 17th : Gabriel Pierné , French composer (* 1863 )
- July 20 : Guglielmo Marconi , Italian radio pioneer and entrepreneur (* 1874 )
- July 26 : Ernst von Delius , German racing driver (* 1912 )
- July 26th : Aldo Pigorini , Italian motorcycle racer (* 1907 )
- July 26 : Gerta Taro , German photographer (* 1910 )
- August 6th : Annie Horniman , English theater director and occultist (* 1860 )
- August 6 : Alfred Wilm , German chemist and metallurgist (* 1869 )
- August 8 : Jimmie Guthrie , British motorcycle racer (* 1897 )
- August 10 : Hans Gustav Röhr , German designer and automobile manufacturer (* 1895 )
- August 11 : Stéphan Elmas , Turkish-Armenian composer and pianist (* 1864 )
- August 11 : Edith Wharton , American writer (* 1862 )
- August 12 : Charles Manley Smith , American politician (* 1868 )
- August 13 : Alexander Voronsky , Russian revolutionary and literary critic (* 1884 )
- August 14 : Karl Pauker , Soviet NKVD officer and bodyguard of Stalin (* 1893 )
- August 19 : Ivan Katajew , Russian prose writer (* 1902 )
- August 21 : Artur Frautschi , Soviet secret service agent and commissioner (* 1891 )
- August 22nd : Karl Braun , German motorcycle racer (* 1902 )
- August 23 : Otto Hörsing , German politician (* 1874 )
- August 23 : Albert Roussel , French composer (* 1869 )
- August 23 : Hermann Kersting , German doctor and colonial official (* 1863 )
- August 28 : Frederick Burr Opper , American comic book artist and illustrator (* 1857 )
- August 30th : Adele Sandrock , German actress (* 1863 )
- August 31 : Albert Heim , Swiss geologist (* 1849 )
- September 2 : Baron Pierre de Coubertin , founder of the modern Olympic Games (* 1863 )
- September 4 : Yevgeny Paschukanis , Soviet lawyer and legal philosopher (* 1891 )
- September 6 : Henry Kimball Hadley , American composer (* 1871 )
- September 6th : Hugo Frederik Nierstrasz , Dutch zoologist (* 1872 )
- September 12 : Ruffin G. Pleasant , American politician (* 1871 )
- September 14 : Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk , Czech statesman (* 1850 )
- September 19 : Sidney M. Goldin , American director of Yiddish films (* 1878 )
- September 26 : Bessie Smith , American musician (* 1894 )
- September 26th : Andrei Vostrikow , Russian-Soviet East Asian scientist (* 1902 )
- September 28 : Fridolin Suter , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman, honorary canon and honorary citizen of Bischofszell (* 1863 )
- September 29 : Ray Ewry , American athlete and Olympic champion (* 1873 )
- September 30 : Mikheil Javachishvili , Georgian writer (* 1880 )
- October 3 : Richard von Hertwig , German zoologist (* 1850 )
- October 3 : Hans Kippenberger , German politician (* 1898 )
- October 6 : Tomoda Kyōsuke , Japanese actor (* 1899 )
- October 7 : Renate Müller , German actress and singer (* 1906 )
- October 8 : Sergei Klychkov , Russian writer (* 1889 )
- October 9 : Julianus Marie August de Boeck , Belgian composer, organist and music teacher (* 1865 )
- October 11 : Ogden L. Mills , American politician (* 1884 )
- October 13 : Simon Fraser Tolmie , Canadian politician (* 1867 )
- October 15 : Evgeni Gwaladze , Georgian resistance fighter (* 1900 )
- October 16 : William Sealy Gosset , English statistician (* 1876 )
- October 17th : Ludvig Birkedal-Barfod , Danish organist and composer (* 1850 )
- October 17 : Paul Lhérie , French singer and music teacher (* 1844 )
- October 19 : Ernest Rutherford , English nuclear physicist, Nobel Prize winner (* 1871 )
- October 22 : Nakahara Chūya , Japanese lyric poet (* 1907 )
- October 22 : Frank Damrosch , German-American conductor and music educator (* 1859 )
- October 24 : Georg Domizlaff , German field postmaster in World War I (* 1854 )
- October 26 : Józef Dowbor-Muśnicki , Polish general (* 1867 )
- October 27 : Friedrich Christian Georg Ahlborn , German zoologist and physicist (* 1858 )
- October 28 : Martin Donndorf , Lord Mayor of Weimar from 1910 to 1920 (* 1865 )
- October 30 : Ivan Alexejewitsch Akulow , Soviet trade unionist, party and state functionary (* 1888 )
- October 30 : Vladimir Polonsky , Soviet politician and trade unionist (* 1893 )
- November 4 : Robert Stamm , German politician and victim of the Nazi regime (* 1900 )
- November 5 : Kinoshita Naoe , Japanese writer and journalist (* 1869 )
- November 9 : Ramsay MacDonald , British politician and head of government (* 1866 )
- November 10 : Lev Schubnikow , Russian physicist (* 1901 )
- November 11th : Marguerite Audoux , French novelist (* 1863 )
- November 11th : Jerzy Gablenz , Polish composer (* 1888 )
- November 13 : Max Mohr , German playwright and narrator (* 1891 )
- November 15 : Heinrich Eugen Abt , Swiss politician (* 1854 )
- November 15 : Seyit Rıza , leader from Dersim (* 1862 )
- November 16 : Ludwig Plate , German zoologist (* 1862 )
- November 21 : Henri Cain , French librettist and painter (* 1857 )
- November 23 : Aloys Fischer , German educator (* 1880 )
- November 24 : Albert S. Burleson , American politician (* 1863 )
- November 25 : Alexander Lasarewitsch Abramow-Mirow , Soviet Comintern and secret service functionary (* 1895 )
- November 25th : Lilian Baylis , English theater director (* 1874 )
- November 26th : Peldschidiin Genden , President and Prime Minister of the Mongolian People's Republic (* 1892 )
- November 26th : Heinz Neumann , German politician (* 1902 )
- November 27 : Isaak Ilyich Rubin , Russian economist (* 1886 )
- November 27th : Yeghische Charenz , Armenian poet (* 1897 )
- November 30th : Harry Graf Kessler , German art collector, patron, writer, publicist and diplomat (* 1868 )
- December 1st : Sophie Countess Attems-Heiligenkreuz , Austrian writer (* 1862 )
- December 2 : Joe Smith , American jazz trumpeter (* 1902 )
- December 4 : Wilbur Louis Adams , American politician (* 1884 )
- December 4th : Erich Lexer , German surgeon, co-founder of plastic surgery (* 1867 )
- December 5 : Johann Innerhofer , Austrian innkeeper and tourism pioneer (* 1837 )
- December 5 : Hōjō Tamio , Japanese writer (* 1914 )
- December 6 : Francis Cadell , Scottish painter (* 1883 )
- December 8 : Franz Ahrens , German architect (* 1858 )
- December 8th : Pawel Florensky , Russian theologian, mathematician and art scientist (* 1882 )
- December 9 : Gustaf Dalén , Swedish engineer (* 1869 )
- December 10th : Harry Leslie , American politician (* 1878 )
- December 11 : Jaan Anvelt , Estonian communist and writer (* 1884 )
- December 11th : Eduard Biermann , German economist (* 1878 )
- December 11th : Gaik Bschischkjan , Russian military (* 1887 )
- December 11th : Ángel Pestaña , Spanish syndicalist and politician (* 1886 )
- December 12th : Alfred Peter Abel , German actor (* 1879 )
- December 12th : Louis Artaud , French politician (* 1852 )
- December 16 : Eugen Nägele , German conservationist, educator and local researcher (* 1856 )
- December 17 : Forrest Lamont , Canadian singer and music teacher (* 1881 )
- December 20 : Erich Ludendorff , Prussian general (* 1865 )
- December 21 : Frank Billings Kellogg , American politician (* 1856 )
- December 22nd : Violet Manners, Duchess of Rutland , British art patron and artist (* 1856 )
- December 23 : Nils Collett Vogt , Norwegian writer (* 1864 )
- December 27 : William Noble Andrews , American politician (* 1876 )
- December 28th : Maurice Ravel , French composer (* 1875 )
- December 28 : Georg Thilenius , German physician and ethnologist (* 1868 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Clarence Eddy , American organist and composer (* 1851 )
- Paul Fauchet , French organist and composer (* 1881 )
- Jim Jackson , American blues singer and guitarist (* around 1884 or 1890)
- Firuz Nosratdoleh , Iranian politician (* 1889 )
- Frank Siegmund: Alemanni and Franks. Supplementary volumes to the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde Volume 23 (edited by Heinrich Beck, Dieter Geuenich, Heiko Steuer). Walter de Gruyter Verlag, Berlin, 2000, p. 367.