Calendar overview 1896
|British-Zanzibari War is the shortest war in world history. On August 27, 1896, it lasts only 38 minutes.|
|Battle of Adua , the Ethiopian army under Menelik II defeats the Italian invasion troops .||Medical Physical Society presents Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen , the X-rays before.|
|First Modern Olympic Games will be held in Athens .||
northwest Canada triggers
the Klondike gold rush .
|1896 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1344/45 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1888/89 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||52/53 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1301/02 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2439/40 (southern Buddhism); 2438/39 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1258/59 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4229/30 (2-3 October)|
|Iranian calendar||1274/75 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1313/14 (June 12/13)|
Meiji 29 (
明治 29 年);
|Jewish calendar||5656/57 (September 7/8)|
|Coptic Calendar||1612/13 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1311/12 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2206/07 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2207/08 (New Year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2438/39 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1952/53 (April)|
Politics and world events
- January 2: The Jameson Raid , an incursion by British troops into the territory of the South African Republic , ends in failure after the Boers resist.
- January 3rd: Kaiser Wilhelm II sends the so-called Krüger telegram to the President of the Transvaal , Paulus Ohm Krüger , causing a serious upset in diplomatic relations between the German Empire and Great Britain .
- March 1st: In the Battle of Adua , the Ethiopian army under Emperor ( Negus Negest ) Menelik II defeats the Italian invasion troops .
- June 7th: An Anglo-Egyptian army under Horatio Herbert Kitchener wins the Battle of Firket . The battle represents the climax of the Dongola expedition against the Mahdi uprising .
- August 6th: The French protectorate of Madagascar is converted into a colony .
- August 27: Zanzibar and Great Britain at war for 38 minutes. This British-Zanzibarian War is the shortest war in world history.
- September 23: The city of Dongola in Sudan is taken by the British corps used to fight the Mahdi uprising after the previous victory in the Battle of Firket against a force of the Mahdi Muhammad Ahmad .
- October 26: In the Addis Ababa Treaty , Italy has to give up colonial dreams in Ethiopia .
- January 1: Adrien Lachenal becomes President of Switzerland .
- May: Revolt of the Greek Orthodox majority against the Ottoman rule in Crete . The intervention of Greece triggers the Turkish-Greek War .
- August 18: The German Reichstag approves the Civil Code . It comes into force on January 1, 1900.
- August 26: Armenian separatists occupy the Ottoman Bank in Istanbul . As a result, an estimated 50,000 Armenians are killed .
- October 9: The Russian Tsar Nicholas II pays a state visit to France and speaks of a Russian-French brotherhood in arms.
- October 24: The Hamburger Nachrichten reports on the secret reinsurance treaty of 1887 between the German Reich and Russia . The contract, which has not been extended in the meantime, is still causing international displeasure.
- August 20: The Philippines revolt against Spanish colonial rule . The authorities became aware of the existence of the Katipunan secret society .
- DECEMBER 30: The Philippine writer José Rizal is for incitement to rebellion and betrayal by a firing squad executed by the Spanish colonial power.
- January 4: Utah , formerly Utah Territory , becomes the 45th state of the United States following an agreement between ruling Latter-day Saints Church of Jesus Christ and the federal government .
- May 18: In the Plessy v. Ferguson is with the verdict separate but equal the racial segregation in the southern states of the United States in fact allowed.
- November 3: Republican William McKinley wins the US presidential election against Democrat William Jennings Bryan . The election marked the beginning of progressivism in the US and Republican dominance that lasted until 1932.
Other events worldwide
- Theodor Herzl publishes his theses on the establishment of a Jewish state.
- April 11: The Imperial Patent Office in Berlin grants Louis Krauss patent protection for his rocking bathtub .
- November 11: Ernest Monnington Bowden applies for patent protection in Great Britain for the cable he invented . The patent is granted to him on September 25, 1897.
- December 14th: The Glasgow Underground Railway (today: Glasgow Subway ) opens as the third underground railway in the world .
- The Pachisi derivative Ludo gets in England patent protection .
- January 26th: The Belgian entrepreneur Édouard Louis Joseph Empain founds the Chemins de Fer de la Basse-Egypte joint-stock company , which is to build a network of narrow-gauge railways with a gauge of 1000 mm in the area around Mansurah in Lower Egypt .
- MARCH 11: The foundry of Hermann Berthold is in the AG H. Berthold converted.
- April 1: In Goslar , the company is Wilhelm Weule established, which a leading role in the production of optics for lighting of lighthouses will play.
- May 3: The London newspaper Daily Mail appears for the first time.
- September 28: Charles Pathé and his three brothers found Société Pathé Frères in Paris , a company that sells phonographic equipment . It developed into a major film and record producer .
- October 1: Fritz Hoffmann-La Roche renames the Basel company Hoffmann, Traub & Co. to F. Hoffmann-La Roche & Co. after Max Carl Traub left . In the same year Hoffmann hired the chemist Emil Christoph Barell .
- December 3: Herman Hollerith founds the Tabulating Machine Company , a predecessor of IBM .
- After the death of his brother Balthasar, Philipp Helfmann transforms the Helfmann brothers into a public limited company for civil engineering.
- Armand Peugeot founds Société Anonyme des Automobiles Peugeot, with offices in Audincourt and Lille.
- May 2nd: The first underground train to run on the European continent now runs regularly in Budapest .
- May 9: The Nord-Express , a luxury train operated by the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits , runs for the first time between Ostend / Paris and Saint Petersburg .
- July 29th: The German-Anatolian Railway Company starts operating the Anatolian Railway between Constantinople and Konya . The route will later be extended by the Baghdad Railway .
- September 27: The Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph I solemnly opens the canal built by regulating the river route at the Iron Gate , which facilitates navigation on the Danube .
- November 28: The Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway opens.
- April 6th: On the occasion of the 1st Olympic Games , ELTA issues a series of stamps .
- May 1st to October 15th: Berlin trade exhibition in Treptower Park
- August 16: George Carmack finds gold on the Klondike River in Canada's Yukon Territory . The news triggers a gold rush less than a year later .
- November 20: The dock workers' strike in Hamburg developed into one of the largest work stoppages in the German Reich .
science and technology
- JANUARY 23: Before Medical Physical Society presents Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen discovered by him X-rays before. During the demonstration, Albert von Kölliker's hand is used as a demonstration object.
- February: In Ireland, from being Iron Age Dating hoard of Broighter discovered.
- March 1: The development of photographic plates of an attempt to X-rays discovered Antoine Henri Becquerel , the radioactivity .
- June 2nd: Guglielmo Marconi applies for British patent number 12,039 for his invention of a device for transmitting electrical impulses and signals , the basis for a radio . A US court later declared Nikola Tesla to be its inventor .
- July 27: Construction of the Jungfrau Railway financed by Adolf Guyer-Zeller , a cog railway in the Bernese Oberland from Kleine Scheidegg through the Eiger and Mönch to the Jungfraujoch , begins.
- Gottlieb Daimler builds the world's first motorized truck in Cannstatt near Stuttgart , the Daimler Motor-Truck , the first of which with the order no. 81 Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft was sold to the British Motor Syndicate in London on October 1st .
- On October 31, Pieter Zeeman submitted the first of his five essays to the Amsterdam Academy, in which he showed that the spectral lines of a light source split into several polarized components in a strong magnetic field . Through this phenomenon, known as the normal Zeeman effect , he confirmed the electron theory of the interaction of light and matter of his teacher Hendrik Antoon Lorentz .
- November 29th: The Italian doctor Scipione Riva-Rocci designs a mercury sphygmomanometer with an arm cuff.
- Wilhelm Wien developed the Viennese radiation law .
- January 14th: The first film to be shown in Great Britain is shown at the Royal Photographic Society in London. The one-minute silent film Rough Sea at Dover presents waves and stormy seas off Dover .
- March 20: The first documented public film screening in Austria takes place in the Vienna Teaching and Research Institute for Photography and Reproduction Processes by the Lumière brothers .
- April 4: Only 1,000 copies of the first edition of the satirical weekly magazine Simplicissimus are sold.
- May: The first issue of the art and literary magazine Jugend - Münchner Illustrierte Wochenschrift für Kunst und Leben , founded by Georg Hirth and Fritz von Ostini , appears, which is one of the defining styles for the Art Nouveau that is named after it .
- August 1: The Nietzsche Archive moves from Naumburg to Weimar two years after it was founded .
- The Leipzig literary magazine Blätter for literary entertainment is ceasing to appear.
Music and theater
- January 4th: Gerhart Hauptmann's historic revolutionary drama Florian Geyer has its world premiere under the direction of Emil Lessing at the Deutsches Theater Berlin . Emanuel Reicher can be seen in the title role. The reviews are devastating.
- January 29th: The world premiere of the opera Kudrun by Hans Huber based on the libretto by Stephan Born takes place in Basel.
- February 1: The opera La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini with the libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa based on the novel Les scènes de la vie de bohème by Henri Murger has its world premiere at the Teatro Regio in Turin under the direction of Arturo Toscanini . Cesira Ferrani sings the part of Mimì . Despite bad reviews after the premiere, the verismo- related opera becomes a global success.
- March 21: World premiere of the opera Das Heimchen am Herd by Karl Goldmark at the Court Opera in Vienna
- April 20: World premiere of the operetta El Capitan by John Philip Sousa at the Tremont Theater in Boston
- April 25: The operetta The Geisha by Sidney Jones has its world premiere at Daly's Theater in London.
- June 7th: The opera Der Corregidor by Hugo Wolf based on a libretto by Rosa Mayreder is premiered in Mannheim with great success.
- SEPTEMBER 23: The premiere of the opera The four-year post of Franz Schubert takes place nearly 68 years after the composer's death at the Court Opera in Dresden.
- October 1: In Berlin , the Theater des Westens starts operations with the fairytale play Thousand and One Nights .
- October 21: World premiere of the Opéra-comique La poupée by Edmond Audran at the Théâtre de la Gaîté in Paris
- November 7th: World premiere of the opera Jungfruburen (Girls' Chamber) by Jean Sibelius in Helsinki
- November 9th: World premiere of the opera Jungfru i Tornet (The Virgin in the Tower) by Jean Sibelius in Helsinki
- November 27: World premiere of the lyrical drama Kukuška by Franz Lehár in Leipzig
- November 27: The symphonic poem Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, based on the work of the same name by Friedrich Nietzsche , is premiered by the Frankfurt Municipal Orchestra under the direction of the composer as part of the museum concerts at the Frankfurt Opera .
- December 2nd: World premiere of the fairy tale drama The Sunken Bell by Gerhart Hauptmann
- December 25th: John Philip Sousa composes Stars and Stripes Forever , the secret US national anthem.
- December 31: The Teatro Amazonas opera house in Manaus , Brazil, financed with funds from the rubber boom, is inaugurated. The first opera is performed on January 7, 1897.
- June 16: The Kyffhäuser Monument is inaugurated on Mount Kyffhäuser in Thuringia .
- October 18: Ceremonial unveiling of the Westphalian provincial monument to Kaiser Wilhelm I at the Porta Westfalica
- The Blackpool Pleasure Beach theme park opens in Blackpool , England .
- Founding of the Wandervogel Association, which becomes the most important sponsor of the youth movement .
- June 29: Pope Leo XIII. puts the unity and uniqueness of the church at the center of the encyclical Satis cognitum . According to her, whoever lives apart from the Church of Christ is going to perdition.
- September 20: Pope Leo XIII. publishes another encyclical on the prayer of the rosary entitled Fidentem piumque animum .
- June 15: In Japan, a tsunami triggered by the Meiji-Sanriku earthquake kills over 27,000 people.
- June 16: The British passenger liner Drummond Castle collides with a reef off the French island of Ouessant and sinks within a few minutes. Only three of the 246 passengers and crew members survive.
- December 8: The passenger ship Salian of the North German Lloyd rebounds before Cabo Corrubedo (northern Spain) in the storm on a reef and sinks, all 279 people on board come.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Disaster .
- April 6 to April 15: The first modern Olympic Games , initiated by Pierre de Coubertin , take place in Athens . Only men are eligible to participate. There are 43 competitions in 9 sports / 10 disciplines.
- April 6th: The first modern Olympic champion is the American James Connolly , who wins the triple jump competition with a lead of over one meter.
- April 10th: Spyridon Louis becomes Olympic champion in the first modern marathon in 2:58:50 hours.
- April 11th: The German gymnast Carl Schuhmann wins the only competition in wrestling, the open weight class in the Greco-Roman style .
- April 13th: The 12-hour race in track cycling is the last discipline at the Olympic Games in 1896. The winner is the Austrian Adolf Schmal .
- April 15: The first modern Olympic Games end with the closing ceremony .
More sporting events
- January 4th: World chess champion Emanuel Lasker defeats leading Harry Nelson Pillsbury in the decisive game of the four-masters tournament in Saint Petersburg .
- February 9: In Saint Petersburg found by the International Skating Union organized the first world championship in figure skating instead. The first winner in the competition, which was initially only designed for men, was the German Gilbert Fuchs .
- April 3: La Gazzetta dello Sport appears for the first time, edited by Eugenio Camillo Costamagna .
- April 12: In Hanover is Hannoversche football club from 1896 established where but only just despite the name Rugby is played. It wasn't until 1899 that the club actually turned to football .
- April 18th: FC Winterthur is founded . Originally founded as Excelsior FC Winterthur, it took on the name FC Winterthur on July 16 of the same year, but the name was changed again in later history due to club mergers.
- June 28: The Swiss Lawn Tennis Association is founded in Bern , the first national tennis association in continental Europe. The aim is to regulate the tournament scene and play a Swiss championship.
- July 16: Founding of VfL Halle in 1896 in Halle an der Saale
- August 1st: The Zurich FCZ football club is founded in the city of Zurich.
- September 20: The first motorcycle race in the world is held on the Paris- Nantes- Paris route by eight participants .
- October 1st: Foundation of the VfR Heilbronn
Historical maps and views
- Dsiga Wertow , Russian director († 1954) January 2:
- Everett Dirksen , American politician († 1969) January 4:
- André Masson , French painter († 1987) January 4th:
- Erhard Mayke , German speed skater († 1962) January 6th:
- Joe Ball , American serial killer († 1938) January 7th:
- Willi Eichler , German journalist and politician († 1971) January 7th:
- Amedée Rossi , French racing car driver († 1963) January 7th:
- January 9: Warwick Braithwaite , New Zealand conductor († 1971)
- January 11: Heinrich Stuhlfauth , German football player († 1966)
- January 12: Keen Johnson , American politician († 1970)
- January 12: David Wechsler , American psychologist († 1981)
- January 14: John Dos Passos , American writer († 1970)
- January 14: Kurt Guggenheim , Swiss writer († 1983)
- January 15: Jacobo Ficher , Argentine composer († 1978)
- January 16: Ferdinand May , German furniture dealer, dramaturge and author († 1977)
- January 16: Robert Meyn , German actor, theater director († 1972)
- January 18: Ville Ritola , Finnish athlete and Olympic champion († 1982)
- January 20: George Burns , American actor († 1996)
- January 21: Artur Anders , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1976)
- January 21: Paula Hitler , sister of Adolf Hitler († 1960)
- January 21: Philipp Daub , Lord Mayor of Magdeburg († 1976)
- January 22nd: Helmut Berve , German ancient historian, epigraph and prosopographer († 1979)
- January 22nd: Norman Thomas Gilroy , Australian Roman Catholic clergyman, Archbishop of Sydney and Cardinal († 1977)
- January 23: Charlotte , Grand Duchess of Luxembourg († 1985)
- January 24th: Theodor Graf von Sponeck , Lieutenant General of the German Wehrmacht († 1982)
- January 24th: Hermann Zorn , German chemist († 1983)
- January 25: Corb Denneny , Canadian ice hockey player († 1963)
- January 29: Herbert Cysarz , Sudeten German Germanist († 1985)
- January 30: Joseph Roth , German politician and martyr († 1945)
- January 31: Josef Ackermann , German journalist († 1959)
- January 31: Marianne Grunthal , German Nazi victim († 1945)
- January 31: Lewis Strauss , American politician and chairman of the Atomic Energy Agency († 1974)
- Hans Grund , German major general († 1976) February 1:
- Kazimierz Kuratowski , Polish mathematician († 1980) February 2:
- Balys Sruoga , Lithuanian poet, playwright, critic and literary scholar († 1947) February 2:
- Johannes Urzidil , Austrian-Czechoslovakian writer († 1970) February 3:
- Friedrich Glauser , Swiss crime novelist († 1938) February 4:
- Friedrich Hund , German physicist († 1997) February 4:
- Peter Kollwitz , German painter († 1914) February 6:
- Thomas Holenstein , Swiss politician († 1962) February 7th:
- Jacob Paludan , Danish writer († 1975) February 7:
- John Schehr , German politician, party leader of the KPD († 1934) February 9:
- Alberto Vargas , Peruvian pin-up artist († 1982) February 9:
- February 10: John Harding, 1st Baron Harding of Petherton , British Field Marshal and Governor of Cyprus († 1989)
- February 10: Alister Hardy , English marine biologist († 1985)
- February 10: Willi Scharf , German geologist († 1971)
- February 11: Miroslav Cikán , Czech film director († 1962)
- February 11: Curt von Gottberg , SS-Obergruppenführer, mass murderer († 1945)
- February 11: Aron Pollitz , Swiss football player († 1977)
- February 12: Thomas R. Ball , American politician († 1943)
- February 13: Margarete Adler , Austrian swimmer († 1990)
- February 14: Robert Battagliola , French racing car driver († 1935)
- February 14: Werner Richard Heymann , German-Jewish composer and conductor († 1961)
- February 15: Louis Brody , German actor († 1951)
- February 16: Roberto Chery , Uruguayan football goalkeeper († 1919)
- February 16: Carl Dreher , American sound engineer of Austrian origin († 1976)
- February 16: Michael Keller , German Roman Catholic clergyman, bishop of the Münster diocese († 1961)
- February 19: André Breton , French poet and writer († 1966)
- February 20: Henri de Lubac , French theologian and Jesuit († 1991)
- February 20: Olindo Raggi , Italian motorcycle racer († 1926)
- February 21: Nicolai Dirdal , Norwegian pianist and music teacher († 1991)
- February 21: Josef Sellmair , German theologian and educator († 1954)
- February 23: Sarah Fischer , Canadian singer and music teacher († 1975)
- February 23: Heribert Fischer-Geising , German painter and draftsman († 1984)
- February 23: Herbert Weichmann , Mayor of Hamburg († 1983)
- February 24: Richard Thorpe , American film director († 1991)
- February 25: Arthur Adolph , German politician († 1956)
- February 25: Heinrich Gontermann , German fighter pilot in World War I († 1917)
- February 25: Ida Noddack-Tacke , German chemist († 1978)
- February 26: Andrei Zhdanov , Soviet politician († 1948)
- February 26: Arthur Walsh , American politician († 1947)
- February 28: Paul Haehling von Lanzenauer , German general († 1943)
- February 28: Philip Showalter Hench , American doctor († 1965)
- February 29: Josef Autrith , Austrian politician († 1934)
- February 29: Vladimir Vogel , Russian composer († 1984)
- February 29: Morarji Desai , Indian politician and head of government († 1995)
- February 29: William A. Wellman , American film director († 1975)
- Rudolf Anthes , German Egyptologist († 1985) March 1:
- Dan A. Kimball , American politician († 1970) March 1:
- Dimitri Mitropoulos , Greek-American conductor († 1960) March 1:
- Clair Bee , American basketball coach († 1983) March 2:
- Richard Lohrmann , German forester and conservationist († 1970) March 3:
- Kazys Viktoras Banaitis , Lithuanian composer († 1963) March 5:
- Jan and Joël Martel (twins), French sculptors, designers and interior decorators († 1966) March 5:
- August Werner , German national soccer player († 1968) March 6:
- March 11th: Anton Anderluh , Austrian folk music collector († 1975)
- March 11: Caesar von Hofacker , German resistance fighter († 1944)
- March 11: Hermann Weber , German designer and racing driver († 1948)
- March 12: Mario Astarita , Italian banker and art collector († 1979)
- March 13: Erich Sichting , German politician, anti-fascist and sports official († 1946)
- March 12: Erna Gersinski , German resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1964)
- March 14: Walter Krause , German national soccer player († 1948)
- March 15: Carl Adloff , German table tennis official († 1981)
- March 17: Eduard Erdmann , Latvian composer and pianist († 1958)
- March 17: Josef Sudek , Czech photographer († 1976)
- March 20: Gilberte de Courgenay , Swiss waitress, soldier idol († 1957)
- March 21: Ernst Günther Burggaller , German officer, motorcycle and automobile racing driver († 1940)
- March 21: Friedrich Waismann , Austrian mathematician and philosopher († 1959)
- March 22: He Long , Chinese army leader and politician († 1969)
- March 22nd: Pierre Jeanneret , Swiss architect († 1967)
- March 22: Albert Schnettler , German economist († 1967)
- March 24: Franz Blücher , German politician and Federal Minister († 1959)
- March 26: Karl Valentin Müller , German sociologist († 1963)
- March 26: Anton Profes , Austrian hit and film composer († 1976)
- March 27: Paul John Kvale , American politician († 1960)
- March 27: Arthur Piechler , German composer and organist († 1974)
- March 28: József Antall , Hungarian lawyer and politician († 1974)
- March 28: Max Gebhard , German church musician, composer and music teacher († 1978)
- March 29: Karl Abetz , German forest scientist and university professor († 1964)
- March 29: Wilhelm Ackermann , German mathematician († 1962)
- March 31: Wilhelm Reichert , German rower
- Hanns Blaschke , Mayor of Vienna († 1971) April 1:
- Serge Jaroff , American choir director of Russian origin († 1985) April 1:
- Wilhelm Sauter , German painter and draftsman († 1948) April 1:
- James A. Shanley , American politician († 1965) April 1:
- Franciszek Raszeja , Polish doctor and university professor († 1942) April 2:
- Wayne Norviel Aspinall , American politician († 1983) April 3:
- Robert Emmet Sherwood , American playwright and screenwriter († 1955) April 4:
- Robert Tillmanns , German politician († 1955) April 5:
- Leopold Mayer , Austrian economist († 1971) April 6:
- Karl Hermann Pillney , Austrian concert pianist († 1980) April 8:
- April 11: Wieland Herzfelde , German publicist, author and publisher († 1988)
- April 11: Ralph Hepburn , American motorcycle and automobile racing driver († 1948)
- April 14: PC Ettighoffer , German writer († 1975)
- April 15: Gerhard Fieseler , German aircraft designer († 1987)
- April 15: Nikolai Semjonow , Russian physical chemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1986)
- April 16: Tristan Tzara , French writer († 1963)
- April 16: Árpád Weisz , Hungarian football player and coach († 1944)
- April 17: W. Kerr Scott , American politician († 1958)
- April 19: Esteban Canal , Peruvian chess grandmaster († 1981)
- April 19: Hugo Herrmann , German composer, organist and choir director († 1967)
- April 21: Attila Hörbiger , Austrian actor († 1987)
- April 21: Russ Stein , American football player and sheriff († 1970)
- April 22: Max Ludwig , German bobsleigh driver († around 1957)
- April 23: Dmitri Maksutow , Russian optician, inventor of the Maksutov telescope († 1964)
- April 23: Charlie Rivel , Spanish clown († 1983)
- April 23: George Messier , French chemical engineer († 1933)
- April 24th: Robert Oelbermann , founder and federal leader of the "Nerother Wandervogel" († 1941)
- April 25: Georg-Wilhelm Postel , General of the German Wehrmacht (Army) († 1953)
- April 26th: Max Brand , Austrian-American composer, pioneer of synthesizer and electronic music († 1980)
- April 26th: Ernst Udet , German fighter pilot in the First World War, General Aircraft Master in the Third Reich († 1941)
- April 27: Zygmunt Berling , Polish general and politician († 1980)
- April 27: Wallace Hume Carothers , American chemist († 1937)
- April 29: Georg Friedrich Ahrens , German politician († 1974)
- April 29: Walter Mehring , German writer († 1981)
- April 30th: Ma Anandamayi , Indian spiritual master († 1982)
- April 30: Gary Davis , American blues guitarist († 1972)
- April 30: Hans List , Austrian entrepreneur († 1996)
- Karl Gustaf Emanuel Abrahamsson , Swedish ice hockey player († 1948) May 1:
- Herbert Backe , German Reich Minister for Nutrition († 1947) May 1:
- Mark W. Clark , American General († 1984) May 1:
- J. Lawton Collins , American 4-Star General († 1987) May 1:
- Heinrich Danioth , Swiss painter († 1953) May 1:
- Árpád Vajda , Hungarian chess player († 1967) May 2:
- Max Hinsche , German taxidermist, scientist and writer. († 1939) May 2nd:
- Serizawa Kōjirō , Japanese writer and novelist († 1993) May 4:
- Werner Kraft , German librarian, literary scholar and writer († 1991) May 4:
- Betty Mitchell , Canadian theater director and director († 1976) May 4:
- Kathleen McKane Godfree , English tennis player († 1992) May 7:
- Wilhelm Kohlbach , German general († 1947) May 7:
- Paweł Lewiecki , Polish pianist and music teacher († 1974) May 8:
- May 11: Paul Bäumer , German pilot of the First World War († 1927)
- May 11: Josip Štolcer-Slavenski , Croatian composer († 1955)
- May 12: Heinrich Wilhelm Joseph Acker , German politician († 1954)
- May 13: Paul Aellen , Swiss botanist († 1973)
- May 13: Ugo Giachery , Italian Bahai († 1989)
- May 13: Josias zu Waldeck and Pyrmont , SS-Obergruppenführer († 1967)
- May 14: Quentin Maclean , English-Canadian organist, composer and music teacher († 1962)
- May 16: Freda Wuesthoff , German physicist, lawyer and pacifist († 1956)
- May 17: Brasílio Itiberê da Cunha Luz , Brazilian composer († 1967)
- May 18: Ernst Emil Jung , German shipowner and patron in Hamburg († 1976)
- May 19: Jorge Alessandri , Chilean politician († 1986)
- May 20: Paul Kemp , German actor and character comedian († 1953)
- May 21: John Chandler Gurney , American politician († 1985)
- May 21: Willy May , German chess problem composer († 1962)
- May 22: Emerich Ambros , Hungarian-German anti-fascist († 1933)
- May 23: András Kuttik , Hungarian football player and coach († 1970)
- May 23: Felix Steiner , German military, SS-Obergruppenführer and general of the Waffen-SS († 1966)
- May 25: Jan Nicolaas Bakhuizen van den Brink , Dutch theologian and church historian († 1987)
- May 27: Lisa Albrecht , German politician († 1958)
- May 28: Hans Friede , German politician († 1978)
- May 29: Walter Abendroth , German composer, editor, music writer († 1973)
- May 30th: Howard Hawks , American director († 1977)
- May 31: Ines Alfani-Tellini , Italian opera singer (soprano) and music teacher († 1985)
- May 31: Erich R. Döbrich , German military painter († 1945)
- May 31: Ernest Haller , American cameraman († 1970)
- Antonio Castejón Espinosa , Spanish general († 1979) June 1:
- Henry Allingham , combatant in the British armed forces in World War I († 2009) June 6:
- Italo Balbo , Italian fascist air force minister, air marshal († 1940) June 6:
- Christopher Howard Andrewes , British virologist († 1988) June 7:
- Imre Nagy , Hungarian politician and agricultural economist († 1958) June 7:
- Otto Heinrich Schindewolf , German paleontologist († 1971) June 7:
- Robert S. Mulliken , American physicist and chemist († 1986) June 7:
- Karl Sack , German lawyer and resistance fighter († 1945) June 9:
- Richard Friedenthal , German writer († 1979) June 9:
- Rafael Martínez Alba , Dominican conductor and music teacher († 1989) June 9:
- June 10: József Viola , Hungarian football player and coach († 1949)
- June 11: Henri Poitras , Canadian actor and playwright († 1971)
- June 12: Paul Appel , German poet and essayist († 1971)
- June 14: Comins Mansfield , English chess problem composer († 1984)
- June 16: Karl Rüdiger , German politician († 1951)
- June 17: Joseph Yerly , Swiss writer of the Franco-Provencal language († 1961)
- June 18: Bruno Snell , German classical philologist († 1986)
- June 19: Erich Koch , Gauleiter of the NSDAP and Reich Commissioner in Ukraine († 1986)
- June 20: Vincent Korda , Hungarian production designer († 1979)
- June 20: Wilfrid Pelletier , Canadian conductor and pianist († 1982)
- June 25: Alfred Anderson , British war veteran († 2005)
- June 25: Oskar Müller , German politician († 1970)
- June 27: Paul Apel , German resistance fighter († 1965)
- June 28: Lazar Wechsler , most important film producer of early Swiss cinema († 1981)
- June 29: Mathieu Ahlersmeyer , German opera singer and actor († 1979)
- June 29: Anna Gottburgsen , German flower and landscape painter († 1988)
- June 29: Hermann Lindrath , German politician († 1960)
- Rudolf Heberle , German sociologist († 1991) July 3:
- Albin Lesky , Austrian classical philologist († 1981) July 7:
- Kathleen Long , English pianist and music teacher († 1968) July 7th:
- July 10: Georg Trump , German calligrapher, typographer, graphic artist and teacher († 1985)
- July 10: Stefan Askenase , Belgian-Polish pianist († 1985)
- July 11: Ludwik Fleck , Polish microbiologist, physician and scientific theorist († 1961)
- July 13: Mordecai Ardon , Israeli artist († 1992)
- July 14: Ferdinando Giuseppe Antonelli , Italian Curia Cardinal († 1993)
- July 14: Buenaventura Durruti , Spanish syndicalist and anarchist revolutionary († 1936)
- July 16: Gottlob Berger , German general, SA and SS member († 1975)
- July 16: Trygve Lie , Norwegian politician, Secretary General of the United Nations († 1968)
- July 16: Bill Rooney , American football player († 1988)
- July 16: Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer , German physician and human geneticist († 1969)
- July 18: Franz Eccard von Bentivegni , German general and war criminal († 1958)
- July 18: Franz Palatz , German chess problem composer († 1945)
- July 18: Patrick Aloysius O'Boyle , American Roman Catholic clergyman, Archbishop of Washington and Cardinal († 1987)
- July 19: AJ Cronin , Scottish doctor and writer († 1981)
- July 20: Henricus Jacobus Charles Tendeloo , Dutch chemist († 1984)
- July 21: Bourke B. Hickenlooper , American politician († 1971)
- July 21: Jean Rivier , French composer († 1987)
- July 21: James C. Shannon , American politician and lawyer († 1980)
- July 22nd: Walter Karl Friedrich Assmann , German officer († 1964)
- July 22nd: Otto Hellmuth , Gauleiter of the NSDAP and District President of Mainfranken († 1968)
- July 22nd: Phil Jutzi , German cameraman and film director († 1946)
- July 23: Katharine Burdekin , British writer († 1963)
- July 23: Gaston Duval , French racing car driver († 1970)
- July 23: Adrienne Gessner , Austrian actress († 1987)
- July 23: Reinhold Frank , German lawyer, victim of the Nazi regime († 1945)
- July 23: Dale Van Every , American writer and screenwriter († 1976)
- July 24th: Hermann Kasack , German writer and poet († 1966)
- July 24: Willy Odenthal , German politician († 1962)
- July 26: Tim Birkin , British racing car driver († 1933)
- July 27: Ivar Frithiof Andresen , Norwegian opera singer († 1940)
- July 27: Friedrich Aue , German resistance fighter († 1944)
- July 28: Barbara La Marr , American actress († 1926)
- July 28: Josephus Calasanz Fließer , Austrian Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Linz († 1960)
- July 31: Oskar Sima , Austrian theater and film actor († 1969)
- Walther Wadehn , German major general († 1949) August 1:
- Lotte Neumann , German actress († 1977) August 5th:
- Kaname Akamatsu , Japanese economist († 1974) August 7:
- Daudi Chwa II , Bugandan Kabaka († 1939) August 8:
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings , American writer († 1953) August 8:
- Erich Hückel , German chemist and physicist († 1980) August 9:
- Jean Piaget , Swiss developmental psychologist († 1980) August 9:
- August 10: Milena Jesenská , Czech writer († 1944)
- August 10: Walter Lang , American film director († 1972)
- August 12: Otto Haußleiter , German political scientist and administrative officer († 1982)
- August 12: Tsunenohana Kan'ichi , Japanese sumo wrestler and 31st yokozuna († 1960)
- August 13: Eleonora Rozanek , German painter († 1987)
- August 13: Rudolf Schmundt , German military, Wehrmacht chief adjutant to Adolf Hitler († 1944)
- August 14: Albert Ball , British fighter pilot of the First World War and winner of the Victoria Cross († 1917)
- August 14: Joachim O. Fernández , American politician († 1978)
- August 15: Gerty Cori , Czech-American biochemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1957)
- August 15: Elias Coueter , Syrian clergyman and Melkite bishop of Brazil († 1985)
- August 16: Kraudn Sepp , German (Bavarian) zither player and folk music singer († 1977)
- August 16: Tina Modotti , Italian actress, photographer and revolutionary († 1942)
- August 17: Hans Adametz , Austrian ceramist, sculptor and art teacher († 1966)
- August 19: Josef Kammhuber , Colonel of the Air Force in the Third Reich and General of the Bundeswehr († 1986)
- August 19: Walter Lang , Swiss composer, pianist and music teacher († 1966)
- August 19: Ray Herbert Talbot , American politician († 1955)
- August 23: Christian Schiefer , Swiss photographer († 1998)
- August 23: Hubert von Meyerinck , German actor († 1971)
- August 25: Friedrich von Kessel , German politician († 1975)
- August 27: Leon Theremin , Soviet physicist and musician († 1993)
- August 28: Wim Addicks , Dutch football player († 1985)
- August 28: Liam O'Flaherty , Irish writer († 1984)
- August 29: William M. Citron , American politician († 1976)
- August 29: William Frank Norrell , American politician († 1961)
- August 30: Fritz Walter , German politician († 1977)
- August 30: Willy Reichert , German comedian and actor († 1973)
- Simon Barere , Russian-born pianist († 1951) September 1:
- AC Bhaktivedanta , Indian commentator and translator of well-known Sanskrit works, founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness († 1977) September 1st:
- André Hunebelle , French film director († 1985) September 1:
- Anton Tesarek , Austrian educator († 1977) September 1:
- Hinrich Lohse , German National Socialist politician († 1964) September 2:
- Alfons Beil , German priest and author († 1997) September 3:
- Max Dungert , German painter and graphic artist († 1945) September 3:
- Antonin Artaud , French artist († 1948) September 4:
- Adolphe Reymond , Swiss football player († 1976) September 4:
- Rodolphe Rubattel , Swiss politician († 1961) September 4:
- Albert Becker , Austrian chess master († 1984) September 5:
- Heimito von Doderer , Austrian writer († 1966) September 5:
- Karl Ebb , Finnish entrepreneur, athlete and racing car driver († 1988) September 5:
- Karl August Wittfogel , German sociologist, philosopher and sinologist († 1988) September 6:
- Johannes Siegfried Schubert , German Tibetologist († 1976) September 7th:
- B. Everett Jordan , American politician († 1974) September 8:
- Frank Silver , American songwriter, band leader and vaudeville actor († 1960) September 8:
- Alexei Innokentjewitsch Antonow , Soviet general († 1962) September 9:
- Fritz Reuter , German musicologist, music educator, composer and conductor († 1963) September 9:
- September 10th Adele Astaire , American dancer and entertainer († 1981)
- September 11th: Georg Arnold-Graboné , German painter († 1982)
- September 11: Robert S. Kerr , American politician († 1963)
- September 13: Jake Lanum , American football player († 1968)
- September 13: Tadeusz Szeligowski , Polish composer and music teacher († 1963)
- September 14: José Mojica , Mexican singer and actor († 1970)
- September 15: Bert Ambrose , English violinist and band leader († 1971)
- September 15: Theodor Haubach , German journalist, politician and resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1945)
- September 16: Willi Milke , German communist resistance fighter against National Socialism and victims of National Socialism († 1944)
- September 18: Hobart Baumann Amstutz , American theologian and bishop († 1980)
- September 19: Robert Dussaut , French composer and music theorist († 1969)
- September 20: Friedrich Sämisch , German chess player († 1975)
- September 21: Käte Hamburger , German Germanist and philosopher († 1992)
- September 21: August Prüssing , German engineer († 1967)
- September 22nd: Ernst Exss , German general († 1965)
- September 22nd: Elisabeth Selbert , German politician and lawyer, one of the four "Mothers of the Basic Law" († 1986)
- September 22: Henry Segrave , British racing driver and record-breaking driver († 1930)
- September 24th: Maxi Ackers , German writer, screenwriter and actress († 1982)
- September 24: Elsa Triolet , French writer († 1970)
- September 24: F. Scott Fitzgerald , American writer († 1940)
- September 24: Camilo Mori , Chilean painter († 1973)
- September 25: Jacques Errera , Belgian physical chemist († 1977)
- September 25: Robert Gerhard , Spanish (Catalan) composer († 1970)
- September 25: Wenzel Jaksch , German politician († 1966)
- September 25: Alessandro Pertini , Italian politician († 1990)
- September 26: Max Brunnow , German communist and resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1940)
- September 27: Sam Ervin , American politician († 1985)
- September 28: William M. Tuck , American politician († 1983)
- September 29: David Knowles , English historian († 1974)
- Charles E. McKenzie , American politician († 1956) October 3:
- Edgar WA Maass , German chemist and writer († 1964) October 4:
- Johannes Wüsten , German visual artist, writer († 1943) October 4:
- Paulino Alcántara , Spanish-Filipino football player († 1964) October 7:
- Maria Krahn , German actress and voice actress († 1977) October 7th:
- Julien Duvivier , French director († 1967) October 8:
- Dorothee Günther , German dancer († 1975) October 8:
- Richard Suchwirth , Austrian historian and politician († 1965) October 8:
- John Robert Armbruster , American composer, conductor and arranger († 1994) October 9:
- Joseph Paul , French racing car driver († 1944) October 9:
- October 10: Lester Germer , American physicist († 1971)
- October 12: Eugenio Montale , Italian writer († 1981)
- October 13: Hans Lewy , German racing driver († 1942)
- October 14: Wolf-Heinrich von Helldorff , German resistance fighter against the Nazi regime († 1944)
- October 15: Célestin Freinet , French reform pedagogue († 1966)
- October 15: Yasutaro Hirai , Japanese professor of business administration († 1970)
- October 16: Ernst Waldinger , German poet and essayist († 1970)
- October 18: Friedrich Hollaender , German-British composer († 1976)
- October 19: Friedrich Bonte , Commodore in the German Navy († 1940)
- October 19: Nat Holman , American basketball player and coach († 1995)
- October 19: Pedro Luna , Chilean painter († 1956)
- October 20: George C. Atcheson Jr. , American diplomat († 1947)
- October 21: Yevgeny Lwowitsch Schwarz , Russian writer and playwright († 1958)
- October 22: Oscar L. Chapman , American politician († 1978)
- October 22: Earle Clements , American politician († 1985)
- October 22: George Raymond Dallas Moor , British officer († 1918)
- October 23: Roman Ossipowitsch Jakobson , Russian philologist, linguist and semioticist († 1982)
- October 24: Karlfried Graf Dürckheim , German diplomat, psychotherapist and Zen master († 1988)
- October 25: Clara Asscher-Pinkhof , Dutch educator and writer († 1984)
- October 26: Antoine Abed , Lebanese Archbishop († 1975)
- October 26: Kathi Hock , German sculptor († 1979)
- October 27: Otto Dowidat , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1975)
- October 28: Howard Hanson , American pianist and composer († 1981)
- October 30: Ruth Gordon , American actress († 1985)
- October 30: Kostas Karyotakis , Greek poet and prose writer († 1928)
- October 30: Harry R. Truman , American innkeeper who refused to evacuate when Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980 († 1980)
- October 31: Ethel Waters , American actress and singer († 1977)
- Willy Ackermann , Swiss actor, operetta buffo and cabaret artist († 1973) November 1st:
- Victor Aronstein , German doctor of Jewish origin († 1945) November 1:
- Erika Abels d'Albert , Austrian painter, graphic artist and fashion designer († 1975) November 3:
- JR Ackerley , English writer († 1967) November 4:
- Carlos P. Garcia , Philippine politician and president († 1971) November 4:
- Fernand Vallon , French racing driver († 1962) November 5:
- Marcelle de Lacour , French harpsichordist († 1997) November 6th:
- Mikhailo Werikiwski , Ukrainian composer († 1962) November 9:
- November 10: Hans Fleischer , German composer († 1981)
- November 12: Makino Shin'ichi , Japanese writer († 1936)
- November 14: Mamie Eisenhower , US First Lady († 1979)
- November 16: Friederike Mulert , German politician († 1991)
- November 16: Joan Lindsay , Australian writer († 1984)
- November 16: Oswald Mosley , British fascist politician († 1980)
- November 17: Lev Semjonowitsch Vygotsky , Russian psychologist († 1934)
- November 17: Friedrich Middelhauve , German politician and publisher († 1966)
- November 17: Herbert O'Conor , American politician († 1960)
- November 18: Olin D. Johnston , American politician († 1965)
- November 18: César Pérez Sentenat , Cuban pianist and composer († 1973)
- November 19: Adolf Wohlbrück , Austrian actor († 1967)
- November 19: Ernst Brandt , KPD functionary and minister in Saxony-Anhalt († 1956)
- November 19: Johannes Georg Dietrich Mebus , German politician and theologian († 1979)
- November 20: Hayashi Tatsuo , Japanese philosopher, cultural and literary critic († 1984)
- November 23: Klement Gottwald , Czech politician († 1953)
- November 23: Harry Prieste , American diver, entertainer and actor († 2001)
- November 24th: Theodore Fred Abel , American sociologist († 1988)
- November 25: Benjamin Travis Laney , American politician († 1977)
- November 25: Virgil Thomson , American composer († 1989)
- November 27: Giovan Battista Angioletti , Italian journalist and writer († 1961)
- November 28: Leonid Andrussow , German chemical engineer († 1988)
- November 30th: Luise Rehling , German politician († 1964)
- Hans Müller , Austrian chess master and theorist († 1971) December 1st:
- Georgi Zhukov , Soviet general and four-time hero of the Soviet Union († 1974) December 1:
- Petko Stajnow , Bulgarian composer († 1977) December 1:
- Michael Balint , Hungarian psychoanalyst († 1970) December 3:
- Carlo Schmid , German political scientist and politician († 1979) December 3:
- Bolesław Szabelski , Polish composer († 1979) December 3:
- Martin Wagenschein , German pedagogue, didactic, physicist, mathematician († 1988) December 3:
- Albert Kuntz , German resistance fighter († 1945) December 4:
- Carl Ferdinand Cori , American biochemist, Nobel Laureate († 1984) December 5:
- Bernard Rubin , British racing car driver († 1936) December 6:
- Ira Gershwin , American composer and songwriter († 1983) December 6:
- George Trafton , American football player († 1971) December 6:
- Hedda Koppé , Swiss actress († 1990) December 7th:
- Goodwin Knight , American politician († 1970) December 9:
- December 13th: Fritz Horn , German aviation pioneer († 1963)
- December 14: James Harold Doolittle , American general († 1993)
- December 19: Wilhelm Webels , German doctor, painter and sculptor († 1972)
- December 20: Rudolf Friedrich Arnold , German politician and resistance fighter († 1950)
- December 20: Frederick Browning , British general († 1965)
- December 21: Leroy Robertson , American composer († 1971)
- December 21: Konstantin Konstantinowitsch Rokossowski , Soviet and Polish Marshal († 1968)
- December 23: Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa , Italian writer († 1957)
- December 24th: Jens Oliver Lisberg , Faroese law student († 1920)
- December 25: Georg Amlung , German politician († 1973)
- December 27: Carl Zuckmayer , German writer († 1977)
- December 27: Louis Bromfield , American writer († 1956)
- December 27th: Maurice Dewaele , Belgian cyclist († 1952)
- December 27: Wilhelm Käber , German politician († 1987)
- December 27: Cornelia Venema-Schaeffer , Dutch entomologist ( bl. Until 1977)
- December 28: Philippe Étancelin , French automobile racing driver († 1981)
- December 28: Roger Sessions , American composer († 1985)
- December 28: Wilhelm Brese , German politician († 1994)
- December 29: David Alfaro Siqueiros , Mexican painter and graphic artist († 1974)
- December 29: Oswald Kabasta , Austrian conductor († 1946)
- December 30th: Rosl Mayr , Bavarian folk actress († 1981)
- December 31: Gladys Egbert , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1968)
- December 31: Carl Ludwig Siegel , German mathematician († 1981)
Exact date of birth unknown
- John Dilleshaw , American old-time musician († 1941)
- Rupert Karner , Austrian motorcycle racer († 1928)
- Ali Soheili , Iranian Prime Minister († 1958)
- Blind Willie Walker , American blues guitarist and singer († 1933)
January to March
- Joseph Hubert Reinkens , first bishop of the Old Catholic Church in Germany (* 1821) January 4th:
- Anton Philipp Reclam , German publisher and bookseller (* 1807) January 5:
- Paul Verlaine , French poet (* 1844) January 8:
- January 11: George G. Wright , American politician (* 1820)
- January 13th: Friedrich Ludwig Theodor Friese , German organ builder (* 1827)
- January 15: Mathew B. Brady , American photographer and war correspondent (* 1822)
- January 21: Johann Gustav Stickel , German Protestant theologian, orientalist and numismatist (* 1805)
- January 25: Johann Daniel Eckhardt , German labor leader (* 1836)
- January 27: Simeon Bavier , Swiss politician (* 1825)
- January 29: Willem Gerard Brill , Dutch Dutch scholar, Romance scholar, English scholar and historian (* 1811)
- January 30th: Ernst Kapp , German educator, geographer and philosopher (* 1808)
- January 31: William Alexander Adams , English engineer and entrepreneur (* 1821)
- January 31: George Alburtus Anderson , American politician (* 1853)
- January: Luigia Abbadia , Italian opera singer (* 1821)
- Wilhelm Remler , German organ builder (* 1824) February 6th:
- Charles-Gustave Smith , Canadian organist, composer, painter and music teacher (* 1826) February 6:
- William Hayden English , American politician (* 1822) February 7:
- February 12: Gaspard André , French architect (* 1840)
- February 12: Ambroise Thomas , French composer (* 1811)
- February 13: Ludwig Gabillon , German-born Austrian castle actor and director (* 1825)
- February 16: Carl Adler , German lawyer and politician (* 1823)
- February 18: Charles Umpherston Aitchison , British colonial administrator (* 1832)
- February 23: George Davis , American politician (* 1820)
- February 26: William Russell Smith , American politician (* 1815)
- Frederic T. Greenhalge , American politician (* 1842) March 5:
- Évariste de Valernes , French painter (* 1816) March 5:
- Otto Fridolin Fritzsche , German theologian (* 1812) March 9:
- March 13: Benjamin Flanders , American politician (* 1816)
- March 20: Christian Nikolaus Schnittger , German painter, draftsman and photographer (* 1832)
- March 21: Isabel Burton , British travel writer (* 1831)
April to June
- John Rogers Thomas , American composer (* 1830) April 5:
- Bernhard Anemüller , German historian, archivist and librarian (* 1820) April 6:
- Gustav Körner , German-American lawyer and statesman (* 1809) April 9:
- April 10: John Edward Jones , American politician (* 1840)
- April 12: Carl Humann , German engineer, architect and archaeologist (* 1839)
- April 15: August Alexander Järnefelt , Finnish general, topographer and governor (* 1833)
- April 19: Matthäus Hörfarter , Austrian Catholic theologian (* 1817)
- April 25: Hermann Arnold , German painter (* 1846)
- April 27: Albert Fischer , German Protestant pastor and hymnologist (* 1829)
- April 28: Heinrich von Treitschke , German historian and MdR (* 1834)
- Nāser ad-Din Schāh , Shah of Persia (* 1831) May 1:
- Silas Adams , American politician (* 1839) May 5:
- May 11: James Augustus Johnson , American politician (* 1829)
- May 12: Juan Morel Campos , Puerto Rican composer (* 1857)
- May 18: Daniel Pollen , Prime Minister of New Zealand (* 1813)
- May 19: Karl Ludwig of Austria , brother of Emperor Franz Joseph I (* 1833)
- May 20: Clara Schumann , German pianist and composer (* 1819)
- May 22: William A. Wallace , American politician (* 1827)
- May 23: Lucius Fairchild , American politician (* 1831)
- May 24th: Edward Armitage , English history painter (* 1817)
- May 24: Michael Birkeland , Norwegian historian, archivist and politician (* 1830)
- May 29: Friedrich Göler von Ravensburg , German art historian and Rubens researcher (* 1854)
- May 31: Homer VM Miller , American politician (* 1814)
- Gerhard Rohlfs , German traveler to Africa and writer (* 1831) June 2:
- John Cougnard , Swiss Protestant clergyman and university professor (* 1821) June 9:
- Adolphe Danhauser , French composer and music teacher (* 1835) June 9th:
- June 12: Nicodemus Kavikunua , traditional leader of the Herero (* unknown)
- June 20: Alcibiade Béique , Canadian organist and music teacher (* 1856)
- June 22nd: Benjamin H. Bristow , American politician (* 1832)
- June 23: Hubert Ferdinand Kufferath , German composer (* 1818)
- June 26th: Louis d'Orléans, duc de Nemours , French general (* 1814)
- June 27th: Peter Dickel , German organ builder (* 1819)
- June 29th: Marmaduke Wyvill , English aristocrat, politician and chess master (* 1814)
July to September
- Harriet Beecher Stowe , American writer (* 1811) July 1:
- Rudolf Kögel , German Protestant theologian (* 1829) July 2:
- July 11: Ernst Curtius , German archeology and historian (* 1814)
- July 12: Giulio Ascoli , Italian mathematician (* 1843)
- July 13: Friedrich August Kekulé von Stradonitz , German chemist and natural scientist (* 1829)
- July 14: Luther Whiting Mason , American music teacher (* 1818)
- July 14th: Raffaele Monaco La Valletta , Italian cardinal to the curia (* 1827)
- July 16: Selmar Bagge , German composer (* 1823)
- July 16: Edmond de Goncourt , French writer (* 1822)
- July 19: Théodore Salomé , French organist and composer (* 1834)
- July 20: Friedrich Simony , geographer and alpine researcher (* 1813)
- July 22nd: George W. Jones , American politician (* 1804)
- George Tobey Anthony , American politician (* 1824) August 5:
- Friedrich Helbig , German lawyer and writer (* 1832) August 8:
- Alonzo J. Edgerton , American lawyer and politician (* 1827) August 9:
- August 10: Otto Lilienthal , German pioneer of gliding and muscular power flight (* 1848)
- August 13: John Everett Millais , British painter (* 1829)
- August 13: Ludwig Seidel , German mathematician and astronomer (* 1821)
- August 17th: Peter Beising , German theologian (* 1805)
- August 17: Bridget Driscoll , first victim in a car accident (* 1851)
- August 18: Richard Avenarius , German philosopher and representative of empiricriticism (* 1843)
- August 24: Johann Jakob Egli , Swiss geographer (* 1825)
- August 25: Enrico Nencioni , Italian poet and literary critic (* 1837)
- August 30th: Balthasar Schlimbach , German organ builder (* 1807)
- Joseph Ignaz von Ah , Swiss Catholic priest, newspaper man and writer (* 1834) September 1:
- Henry B. Payne , American politician (* 1810) September 9:
- September 11: Alexander Graf von Attems-Heiligenkreuz , Austrian Privy Councilor and Lieutenant Field Marshal (* 1814)
- September 16: James Mitchell Ashley , American politician (* 1824)
- September 16: Antônio Carlos Gomes , Brazilian composer (* 1836)
- September 17: Auguste Margarethe Feddersen , German painter (* 1823)
- September 18: Hippolyte Fizeau , French physicist (* 1819)
- September 19: Fanny Simonsen , Australian singer and music teacher (* 1835)
- September 20: Johan Gottfried Conradi , Norwegian composer (* 1820)
- September 21: Henry Petersen , Danish archaeologist (* 1849)
- September 23: Ivar Aasen , Norwegian poet and linguist (* 1813)
- September 23: Gilbert Duprez , French opera tenor and composer (* 1806)
- September 30th: Moritz Wilhelm Drobisch , German mathematician and philosopher (* 1802)
October to December
- William Morris , British artisan and writer (* 1834) October 3:
- Sir James Abbott , British general (* 1807) October 6th:
- George A. Sheridan , American politician (* 1840) October 7:
- Louis Jules Trochu , French general (* 1815) October 7th:
- Silas Woodson , American politician (* 1819) October 9:
- October 10: Levi K. Fuller , American politician (* 1841)
- October 11: Anton Bruckner , Austrian composer (* 1824)
- October 13: Thomas W. Ferry , American politician (* 1827)
- October 13: Johann Caspar Harkort VI. , Pioneer of German large bridge construction (* 1817)
- October 14: Italo Campanini , Italian opera tenor (* 1845)
- October 19: Josef Pischna , Bohemian pianist and composer (* 1826)
- October 19: William Adams Richardson , American politician (* 1821)
- October 20: Karl Segebrock , German-Baltic missionary and Protestant martyr (* 1872)
- October 20: Ewald Ovir , German-Baltic missionary and Protestant martyr (* 1873)
- October 20: Félix Tisserand , French astronomer (* 1845)
- October 23: Charles Frederick Crisp , American politician (* 1845)
- October 23: Columbus Delano , American politician (* 1809)
- October 24: Albert Abdullah David Sassoon , British-Indian merchant (* 1818)
- Alexander Franken , German legal scholar (* 1847) October:
- Edward Young , English explorer of Africa (* 1831) November 4th:
- Karl Verner , Danish linguist (* 1846) November 5:
- Emil Frommel , German Protestant theologian and folk writer (* 1828) November 9th:
- November 15: Georg Ferdinand Dümmler , German classical philologist and archaeologist (* 1859)
- November 15: Alexander Brückner , German historian (* 1834)
- November 19: Otto zu Stolberg-Wernigerode , Vice Chancellor under Otto von Bismarck (* 1837)
- November 19: Peter Joseph Ruppen , chronicler of the canton of Valais in Switzerland (* 1815)
- November 20: Frederick Miles , American politician (* 1815)
- November 22: Hans Konrad Karl Theodor Ackermann , German pathologist (* 1825)
- November 26th: Antonio Cecchi , Italian explorer (* 1849)
- November 26: Benjamin Apthorp Gould , American astronomer (* 1824)
- November 27: William Francis Ainsworth , British explorer (* 1827)
- November 28: Paul Emanuel Spieker , German architect (* 1826)
- November 29: John Scott , American politician (* 1824)
- Paul André , Swiss politician (* 1837) December 3:
- Antonio Maceo , Cuban general (* 1845) December 7th:
- December 10: Alfred Nobel , Swedish inventor and industrialist (* 1833)
- December 17th: Paul Beiersdorf , German pharmacist (* 1836)
- December 19: Johann Anton Wilhelm von Carstenn , German businessman, entrepreneur and town planner (* 1822)
- December 23: Eduard Dallmann , German explorer and polar explorer (* 1830)
- December 24th: Andreas Ascharin , Baltic-Russian chess player, writer, educator and translator (* 1843)
- December 26: Emil Heinrich Du Bois-Reymond , German physiologist and mathematician (* 1818)
- December 26th: Anton Leopold Herrmann , Romanian-German composer and church musician (* 1819)
- December 30th: José Rizal , Filipino writer and national hero (* 1861)
Exact date of death unknown
- Deodato Arellano , Filipino reformer (* 1844)
- Charles Lucièn Lambert , American composer (* 1828 or 1829)
- Jules Moinaux , French librettist (* 1815)
- Cristoforo Negri , Italian politician and writer (* 1809)
- Kahimemua Nguvauva , Namibian clan leader and national hero