Calendar overview 1893
Auguste Vaillant's assassination attempt
on the French National Assembly leads to the Lois scélérates .
Black Maria film studio is built.
Grover Cleveland becomes US President for a second time .
Winnetou I to III by Karl May are published.
|1893 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1341/42 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1885/86 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||49/50 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1298/99 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2436/37 (southern Buddhism); 2435/36 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1255/56 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4226/27 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1271/72 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1310/11 (July 14/15)|
Meiji 26 (
明治 26 年 );
|Jewish calendar||5653/54 (September 10-11)|
|Coptic calendar||1609/10 (September 10/11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1308/09 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2203/04 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2204/05 (New Year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2435/36 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1949/50 (April)|
Politics and world events
- March 4 : Inauguration of Grover Cleveland as 24th US President. He replaces Benjamin Harrison . Cleveland is both the 22nd and the 24th President of the United States. As the only president to date, he has two separate terms of office.
- August 7: The newly elected US President, Cleveland undergoes a top-secret cancer operation.
- September 9 : The only birth of a baby to date takes place in the White House in Washington, DC . US President Grover Cleveland and his wife Frances are happy to have their second daughter Esther .
- September 14 : The Brazilian fleet bombarded by a rebellion against President Floriano Peixoto from the Guanabara Bay , the own capital of Rio de Janeiro and its forts .
- December 24 : Policarpo Bonilla becomes provisional president in Honduras .
- January 1 : Karl Schenk becomes Swiss President for the sixth time.
- April 1st : With the law concerning the introduction of a uniform time determination , Central European Time is introduced as the uniform time for the entire German Empire . From now on, the same time applies “from Aachen to Königsberg ”. The purpose is, among other things, the precise regulation of the railway timetable .
- June 15 : The Reichstag election is narrowly won by the national liberal-conservative "cartel parties". Social democrats, but also anti-Semitic parties, are gaining votes.
- July 30 : Rosa Luxemburg , Leo Jogiches and Julian Balthasar Marchlewski found the Social Democratic Workers' Party of Poland and Lithuania as a revolutionary alternative in Poland .
- August 20 : A popular initiative to abolish shafts is adopted in Switzerland .
- November 7th : Anarchists bombed the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona , killing 23 people. It is a response to the execution of General Arsenio Martínez-Campos , who killed other people.
- December 9 : In Paris, the anarchist Auguste Vaillant hurls a self-made explosive device from the spectator gallery into the Chamber of Deputies . A member of parliament is injured in the action . The perpetrator was later sentenced to death and executed on February 5, 1894.
- December 11 : The French National Assembly enacts the first of the Lois scélérates laws in response to anarchist attacks . It prohibits the support of criminal acts.
- Foundation of the Federation of German Women's Associations (BDF) in Berlin
- Foundation of the socialist-oriented Independent Labor Party in England
- Beginning of the customs war against Russia (1893/94) from the German side; This supports, among other things, the rapprochement between Russia and France, which was confirmed in 1893 by a military convention between the two states.
- Foundation of the German Central Institute for Social Issues
- January 17th : The Kingdom of Hawaii is overthrown by American irregulars.
- September 19 : Introducing women's suffrage in New Zealand . New Zealand is the first modern state to fully grant women this citizenship .
- April 12 : German soldiers under the command of Curt von François conquer the Witbooi settlement of Hornkranz in German South West Africa . There are also unarmed men and women among the dead.
- October 3 : The attack by 6,000 Rif warriors from surrounding Berber tribes on the Spanish possession of Melilla marks the start of the Rif War .
- July 13 : Pak-Nam incident . At the height of the crisis between France, Britain and Siam , an exchange of fire breaks out between the Siamese forts in Paknam (now Samut Prakan ) and French gunboats sailing the Mae Nam Chao Phraya ( Chao Phraya River ) towards the Siamese capital, Bangkok drive on.
- October 3rd : After the end of the Franco-Siamese War, the two states sign a treaty in which Siam cedes its areas east of the Mekong (today's Laos ) to French Indochina .
- November 12th : Division of Afghanistan by the then Foreign Minister of the British-Indian Administration "Sir Henry M. Durand" for 100 years from 1893 to 1993 , which is also called the Durand Line .
Voyages of discovery
- January 8th : As part of the Dundee Whaling Expedition , the ship's captain Thomas Robertson discovers an island in the Weddell Sea , which he gives the name Dundee Island .
Exhibitions and fairs
- May 1 : Almost a year late , US President Grover Cleveland opens the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus . Around 27.3 million people will visit the world exhibition until it closes on October 30th . 70,000 exhibitors from 46 nations present their exhibits on an area of 278 hectares. Chicago architect Daniel Burnham and landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted were responsible for the design of the entire complex . The buildings were built by various architects in the style of the Italian Renaissance. The exhibition has a strong influence on the architecture and art of the time.
Finance and taxes
- April 28th : In France , a bicycle tax is introduced by law , which also taxes motorcycles and automobiles. Several other countries followed suit with the development of this tax source in the following years.
- May 5 : " Industrial Black Friday " in the USA triggers significant price losses on the New York Stock Exchange , which hit railroad stocks in particular. As a result, the economic crisis also hits the silver market and develops into a "silver panic".
- December : A few weeks after he was appointed prime minister for the seventh time, Charilaos Trikoupis declares the Greek state bankruptcy in a speech before parliament .
- February 23 : Rudolf Diesel receives a patent on “Working method and design for internal combustion engines ”, known today as the diesel engine .
- August 29th : The American inventor Whitcomb Judson receives a patent for the zipper he invented .
- March 13 : William Waldorf Astor opens the Henry Janeway Hardenbergh- designed Waldorf Hotel on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 33rd Street in New York City .
- April 7 : The waiter Maxime Gaillard opens the Maxim’s restaurant in Paris .
- June 20 : In Aachen Franz Zentis founded a grocery store from which the jams , confectionery and other food manufacturing companies Zentis seen.
- August 10 : The Banca d'Italia is created in Rome as a joint stock company from the merger of the Banca Nazionale nel Regno , Banca Nazionale Toscana and Banca Nazionale Credito as well as the liquidation of Banca Romana .
- July 2 : With the Vesterålen , which runs between Trondheim and Hammerfest , regular service begins on the Hurtigruten along the Norwegian west coast.
- August 6th : The Corinth Canal opens to shipping. It saves ships with a draft of up to 8 meters from having to travel by sea around the Peloponnese .
- The Ljubljana - Gottschee railway line opens.
- May 20 The foundation stone of the first bridge over the Ob river near Novosibirsk is laid during the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway .
science and technology
Astronomy and physics
- July 16 : The French astronomer Auguste Charlois discovered in the asteroid belt the asteroid Bohemia .
- December 29th : The French astronomer Stéphane Javelle discovers the galaxy pair IC 298 in the constellation Whale .
- Anders Jonas Ångström measures the total intensity of solar radiation (with a “compensation pyrheliometer ”).
- Wilhelm Wien developed the Viennese law of displacement .
Bridge building and traffic
- May 10 : The locomotive . No. 999 of the New York Central Railroad is 181 km / h was absolute world speed record.
- The so-called “ Blue Wonder ”, the King Albert Bridge over the Elbe in Dresden , is completed. The opening ceremony will take place on July 15th .
- November 15 : The Munderking Danube Bridge is completed.
- June: Construction of Watkin's Tower begins in London . It is said to be the tallest building in the world, but is never completed.
- August 10 : Rudolf Diesel's first test engine runs on its own in the Augsburg machine factory .
- Charles C. Cretors invents the world's first popcorn machine , making large-scale popcorn production possible.
- July 11th : The Japanese Kokichi Mikimoto succeeds in producing a cultured pearl for the first time .
- September 16 : On the initiative of Hedwig Kettler , the first girls' high school in the German Reich opens in Karlsruhe, Baden .
- The city council of Venice decides to hold a biennial art exhibition , the first Biennale di Venezia will open under the name I Esposizione Internazionale d'Arte della Città di Venezia on April 30th in the presence of the Italian royal couple Umberto I and Margherita di Savoia . It becomes a popular success.
- May 14th : The Prussian Minister of Culture Robert Bosse opens the first major Berlin art exhibition .
- February 1 : The first commercial film studio is completed on the premises of the Edison Manufacturing Company in West Orange , New Jersey . The Kinetographic Theater is known under the name Black Maria .
Music and theater
- January 18 : The Mass in D major by Ethel Smyth , the composer's only sacred work, premieres at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Although the world premiere , which was only possible thanks to the intervention of the former French Empress Eugénie de Montijo , was an enthusiastic success, the work was not performed again until 1924.
- January 27 : The premiere of the opera Debora by Josef Bohuslav Foerster takes place at the National Theater in Prague .
- February 1st : Cesira Ferrani sings the title role at the world premiere of Giacomo Puccini's opera Manon Lescaut at the Teatro Regio in Turin.
- February 9 : World premiere of the opera Falstaff by Giuseppe Verdi at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. It is the composer's last stage work.
- February 18 : Over 46 years after the concert premiere in Paris, the staged world premiere of the "dramatic legend" La damnation de Faust ( Faust's damnation ) by Hector Berlioz takes place in Monte Carlo.
- April 11 : World premiere of Isaac Albéniz's Magic Ring at the Prince of Wales' Theater in London
- April 12th : The Paris Olympia opens its large concert hall. The Music Hall is used by the great artists of the time and also for other events.
- May 9 : World premiere of the opera Aleko by Sergei Wassiljewitsch Rachmaninow in the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow
- May 10th : As part of the second chamber music festival, the Beethoven House opens in Bonn . The house where Ludwig van Beethoven was born is not only a memorial but also a museum and cultural institute.
- June 15th : World premiere of Isaac Albéniz's operetta Poor Jonathan at the Prince of Wales' Theater in London
- October 28 : Nine days before his death, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky conducts the world premiere of his Symphony No. 6 "Pathétique" in B minor in Saint Petersburg .
- December 16 : The New York Philharmonic performs Dvořák's 9th Symphony ( From the New World) for the first time in New York's Carnegie Hall .
- December 23 : The late romantic fairy tale opera Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck is premiered with extraordinary success at the Weimar Court Theater. The libretto for by Humperdinck in an ironic allusion to Richard Wagner's opera Parsifal called "Kinderstubenweihfestspiel" work wrote his sister Adelheid Wette after the eponymous fairy tale from the Grimm's Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm .
- The play Anatol by Arthur Schnitzler will be premiered.
- The world premiere of the secular cantata La Damoiselle élue is also the first public performance of an orchestral work by Claude Debussy .
- John Philip Sousa composes the military march The Liberty Bell .
- The first sousaphone is built.
- March 5 : The foundation stone for the synagogue designed by Wilhelm Stiassny in Leopoldsgasse is laid in Vienna's 2nd district .
- April 6 : Forty years after construction began, the Salt Lake Temple is dedicated to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City .
- September 8th : Pope Leo XIII. is expressed in the encyclical Laetitiae sanctae on the rosary and the right order of the human social community .
- 11. bis 27. September : The first Parliament of World Religions which comes within the framework of World's Columbian Exposition together in Chicago. The primary intention is the peaceful dialogue of the major world religions Judaism , Christianity , Islam , Hinduism , Taoism , Confucianism , Zoroastrianism , Shintoism , Buddhism and Jainism . The Catholic Church rejects the event, as does the Anglican Church. The Ottoman Sultan Abdülhamid II forbids his subjects to participate and leave the country, so that Islamic participation is difficult to organize. The next world parliament of religions will only take place 100 years later.
- November 18 : In the published encyclical Providentissimus Deus , Leo XIII. for the first time a Pope position on biblical studies .
- February 7th : The British passenger liner Trinacria runs aground on the north-west coast of Spain in a storm and fog and breaks apart, killing 34 people.
- June 22nd : During a maneuver in the Mediterranean Sea, the two British warships Camperdown and Victoria collide off Tripoli . 358 soldiers, including Fleet Commander Sir George Tryon , are killed when the Victoria sinks.
- November 3 : In the port of Santander , the freighter Cabo Machichaco , which was also loaded with dynamite, exploded after a fire broke out on board. 590 people die, 525 are injured. The detonation wave destroys houses.
nature and environment
- September 17 : The Charlotte Cave , a limestone cave on the eastern edge of the Swabian Alb , is ceremonially released to the public.
- February 2 : In Mürzzuschlag , Austria , the first alpine ski race in Central Europe is held on the initiative of the innkeeper Toni Schruf .
- March 23 : The 1st Hanau Football Club in 1893 is founded.
- April 6th : The boxing match Andy Bowen against Jack Burke remained without a winner after 110 rounds and 7 hours 19 minutes.
- June 13 : The world's first female golf tournament takes place in Lytham St Annes . Lady Margaret Scott is the winner of the first British Ladies Amateur Golf Championship .
- June 29 : Founding of Altona 93
- June 30th : The endurance bike ride Vienna – Berlin ends with a victory for Bayern Josef Fischer . This most important German and Austrian bike race before the First World War triggered a boom in bicycles .
- September 7 : In Genoa arises with the Genoa Cricket and Football Club , the oldest now Italian football club .
- September 9 : Foundation of the FV Stuttgart, predecessor of the VfB Stuttgart
- September 28 : The Portuguese football club FC Porto is founded.
- November 15th : Foundation of the soccer club FC Basel
- November 16 : Dissatisfied athletes from AC Prague found their own club, from which Sparta Prague emerged after a few years .
- January 1 : Artur Wypochowicz , Polish anti-fascist and local politician († 1972 )
- January 2 : Ernst Marischka , Austrian director († 1963 )
- January 3 : Pierre Drieu la Rochelle , French writer († 1945 )
- January 3rd : Rudolph "Rudy" Cornelius Wiedoeft , American saxophonist († 1940 )
- January 4th : Manuel Palau Boix , Spanish composer and professor († 1967 )
- January 5 : Gerhard Lütkens , German politician († 1955 )
- January 5 : Joost Schmidt , German typographer, painter and teacher at the Bauhaus († 1948 )
- January 5 : Richard Schneider , German Catholic clergyman, imprisoned in Dachau concentration camp († 1987 )
- January 5 : Yogananda , Indian yogi and guru († 1952 )
- January 7th : Augusto Eguiluz , Chilean painter († 1969 )
- January 8 : Herbert Ernst , German motorcycle racer and entrepreneur († after 1954 )
- January 10 : Felix Augenfeld , Austrian-American architect, interior designer, set designer and designer († 1984 )
- January 10 : Vicente Huidobro , Chilean poet († 1948 )
- January 11 : Harley M. Kilgore , American politician († 1956 )
- January 12 : Hermann Göring , Commander in Chief of the German Air Force († 1946 )
- January 12 : Mikhail Iossifowitsch Gurewitsch , Soviet aircraft designer († 1976 )
- January 12 : Beauford H. Jester , American politician († 1949 )
- January 12 : Alfred Rosenberg , German ideologist and politician of National Socialism († 1946 )
- January 13 : Armgard von Alvensleben , German theologian († 1970 )
- January 13 : Clark Ashton Smith , American poet, sculptor, painter and author († 1961 )
- January 15 : Friedrich August Georg of Saxony , last Crown Prince of Saxony († 1943 )
- January 15 : Ivor Novello , British actor, playwright and musical composer († 1951 )
- January 16 : Pauline Alderman , American musicologist and composer († 1983 )
- January 17 : Ernst Egli , Austrian architect and urban planner († 1974 )
- January 17th : Anton Kehrer , Austrian politician († 1984)
- January 17 : Fritz Wrampe , German sculptor († 1934 )
- January 19 : Johannes Dieckmann , German journalist and politician († 1969 )
- January 19 : Magda Tagliaferro , Franco-Brazilian pianist and music teacher († 1986 )
- January 20 : Nils Georg Åberg , Swedish long and triple jumper († 1946 )
- January 22 : Conrad Veidt , German actor († 1943 )
- January 23 : Fritz Baade , German politician, MdR († 1974 )
- January 23 : Frank Carlson , American politician († 1987 )
- January 24th : Johan Erik Friborg , Swedish cyclist († 1968 )
- January 24 : Alfonso Ortíz Tirado , Mexican doctor and singer († 1960 )
- January 26 : Heinrich Gleißner , Austrian lawyer and politician († 1984 )
- January 26th : Dennis McGee , American fiddle player and accordionist († 1989 )
- January 27 : Song Qingling , Chinese politician († 1981 )
- January 28 : Adolf Aber , German musicologist and critic († 1960 )
- January 29 : Edric Cundell , English composer, horn player, pianist, conductor and music teacher († 1961 )
- January 29 : Marțian Negrea , Romanian composer († 1973 )
- January 30 : Albert Hochleitner , Austrian politician († 1964 )
- January 31 : Freya Madeline Stark , English explorer and travel writer († 1993 )
- February 2 : Jeanne Dusseau , Canadian singer and music teacher († 1979 )
- February 2 : Cornelius Lanczos , Hungarian mathematician and physicist († 1974 )
- February 2 : Damdiny Süchbaatar , Mongolian communist politician († 1923 )
- February 3 : Gaston Maurice Julia , French mathematician († 1978 )
- February 3 : Paul Achkar , Syrian Archbishop († 1982 )
- February 4 : Fritz Apelt , German politician († 1972 )
- February 4 : Raymond Arthur Dart , Australian anatomist and paleoanthropologist († 1988 )
- February 4 : Bernard Rogers , American composer († 1968 )
- February 5 : Alsing Andersen , Danish politician († 1962 )
- February 5 : Roman Ingarden , Polish philosopher († 1970 )
- February 6 : Franz Arnold , Austrian canon lawyer († 1963 )
- February 9 : Johann Wolfgang Amschler , German biologist († 1957 )
- February 9 : Giorgos Athanasiadis-Novas , Greek writer, politician and Prime Minister († 1987 )
- February 9 : Robert Geritzmann , German politician (SPD), Lord Mayor of Gelsenkirchen († 1969 )
- February 10 : William Tilden , American tennis player († 1953 )
- February 11 : Don Azpiazú , Cuban bandleader († 1943 )
- February 12 : Omar N. Bradley , American five-star general († 1981 )
- February 12 : Waddy Kuehl , American football player († 1967 )
- February 12 : Marcel Minnaert , Belgian astronomer († 1970 )
- February 13 : Edmund Kaufmann , German politician († 1953 )
- February 13 : Kurt Noack , German composer († 1945 )
- February 13 : Alfréd Schaffer , Hungarian football player and coach († 1945 )
- February 15 : Georg Otto Angerer , German politician († 1951 )
- February 16 : Masazo Toki , Japanese professor of business administration († 1963 )
- February 16 : Mikhail Nikolajewitsch Tukhachevsky , Marshal of the Red Army in the Soviet Union († 1937 )
- February 17 : Eduard Ege , German painter, graphic artist and wood cutter († 1978 )
- February 17th : Theobald Schrems , German musician, founder of the "Music High School of the Regensburger Domspatzen" († 1963 )
- February 19 : Cedric Hardwicke , British actor, film director and film producer († 1964 )
- February 21 : Andrés Segovia , Spanish guitarist († 1987 )
- February 21 : Hans Zulliger , Swiss elementary school teacher († 1965 )
- February 23 : Anton Betz , German journalist († 1984 )
- February 24 : August Arthur Ambrosi , Austrian sculptor and poet († 1975 )
- February 24 : Ralph Gates , American politician († 1978 )
- February 27 : Jóse Artes de Arcos , Spanish inventor and entrepreneur († 1985 )
- February 28 : Vsevolod Illarionowitsch Pudowkin , filmmaker and film theorist of the Soviet Union († 1953 )
- February 28 : Claude R. Wickard , American politician († 1967 )
- March 1 : Mercedes de Acosta , American writer, fashion designer († 1968 )
- March 1 : Edlef Köppen , German writer and radio editor († 1939 )
- March 3 : Judith Alpi , Chilean painter († 1983 )
- March 4 : Adolph Lowe , German sociologist and economist († 1995 )
- March 5 : Gaetano Corsani , Italian professor of business administration († 1962 )
- March 5 : Guus de Serière , Dutch football player († 1980 )
- March 6 : Furry Lewis , American blues musician († 1981 )
- March 7th : Edwin Grienauer , Austrian sculptor († 1964 )
- March 7th : Friedrich Märker , German writer and publicist († 1985 )
- March 7 : Siegfried Rädel , German politician and resistance fighter († 1943 )
- March 8 : Charles M. Dale , American politician († 1978 )
- March 9 : Esko Aaltonen , Finnish sociologist and folklorist († 1966 )
- March 9 : Roland Jacobi , Hungarian table tennis player († 1951 )
- March 11 : Herbert B. Maw , American politician († 1990 )
- March 11 : Leopold Szondi , Hungarian physician and psychologist († 1986 )
- March 12 : Erwin Planck , German politician († 1945 )
- March 15 : Rudolf Seyffert , German professor of business administration († 1971 )
- March 16 : Théodore Le Du , French racing car driver († 1966 )
- March 16 : Friedrich von Basse , Lord Mayor of Weißenfels and Wittenberg, involved in the Hitler attack on July 20 († 1972 )
- March 17 : Aloys Scholze , German Catholic priest and opponent of National Socialism († 1942 )
- March 18 : Costante Girardengo , Italian racing cyclist († 1978 )
- March 18 : Olivier Guimond , Canadian actor and comedian († 1954 )
- March 19 : José María Velasco Ibarra , President of Ecuador († 1979 )
- March 19 : William Meinerzhagen , German physician and politician († 1974 )
- March 20 : Stephen W. Brennan , American politician († 1968 )
- March 20 : Theodor Krancke , German admiral († 1973 )
- March 21 : Bo Carter , American blues guitarist († 1964 )
- March 21 : Sidney Franklin , American director and film producer († 1972 )
- March 22nd : Abbas Mirsa Sharifsade , Azerbaijani actor († 1938 )
- March 23 : Andreas von Aulock , German military († 1968 )
- March 23 : Victor Desautels , Canadian singer and impresario († 1970 )
- March 23 : Cedric Gibbons , American Art Director († 1960 )
- March 23 : Fritz Johlitz , German politician and member of parliament († 1974 )
- March 23 : Cläre Lotto , German dancer and actress († 1952 )
- March 24th : Walter Baade , German astronomer and astrophysicist († 1960 )
- March 24th : Gastone Brilli-Peri , Italian cyclist, motorcycle and automobile racer († 1930 )
- March 24th : Emmy Göring , German actress († 1973 )
- March 24th : Eduard Krüger , German equestrian († 1963 )
- March 26 : James Bryant Conant , American chemist, science politician and diplomat († 1978 )
- March 26 : William Dunkel , Swiss architect and painter († 1980 )
- March 26 : Jacques Ledure , Belgian racing driver († 1948 )
- March 27 : Ugo Agostoni , Italian racing cyclist († 1941 )
- March 27 : Karl Mannheim , German philosopher and sociologist († 1947 )
- March 27 : G. Lloyd Spencer , American politician († 1981 )
- March 28 : Wilhelm Adam , German politician († 1978 )
- March 29 : Amílcar Barbuy , Italian-Brazilian football player and coach († 1965 )
- March 29 : Erich Stahl , German general († 1954 )
- March 30 : Johann Wilhelm Lehr , German architect († 1971 )
- March 31 : Clemens Krauss , Austrian conductor († 1954 )
- March 31 : Samuel Münchow , Danish-German politician († 1976 )
- April 1 : Hugh Hodgson , American music teacher, pianist, conductor and composer († 1969 )
- April 1 : Karl Friedrich Rößle , German professor of business administration († 1957 )
- April 3 : Hans Riegel , German entrepreneur and founder of Haribo († 1945 )
- April 3 : Leslie Howard , British actor († 1943 )
- April 4 : Douglas Clarke , English conductor, music teacher, organist, pianist and composer († 1962 )
- April 4 : Alois Schlögl , German agricultural functionary and politician († 1957 )
- April 6 : Robert Noorduyn , Dutch pilot and aircraft designer († 1959 )
- April 7 : Allen Welsh Dulles , Director of the CIA († 1969 )
- April 9 : Victor Gollancz , British publisher and peace activist († 1967 )
- April 10 : John Sydney Fine , American politician († 1978 )
- April 10 : Heinrich Georg Ritzel , German politician († 1971 )
- April 10 : Heinrich Ritzel , German politician († 1971 )
- April 11 : Dean Gooderham Acheson , US Secretary of State († 1971 )
- April 13 : Carl Blümel , German archaeologist († 1976 )
- April 13 : Willi Hammelrath , German founder of the Burg Vondern Workers' College († 1966 )
- April 13 : Itō Michio , Japanese ballet dancer and choreographer († 1961 )
- April 14 : Rudolf Attig , German medical officer († 1981 )
- April 16 : Friedrich Franz von Unruh , German writer († 1986 )
- April 17 : Hans Bohnenkamp , German educator, university professor and university director († 1977 )
- April 17th : Marguerite Broquedis , French tennis player († 1983 )
- April 20 : Joan Miró , Spanish painter († 1983 )
- April 21 : Walter Bartram , German politician († 1971 )
- April 21 : Walter Christaller , German geographer († 1969 )
- April 21 : Émile Gour , Canadian singer and choir director († 1970 )
- April 21 : Pierre Jamet , French harpist and music teacher († 1991 )
- April 23 : Adolf Cillien , German politician, Member of the Bundestag († 1960 )
- April 23 : Frank Borzage , American film director († 1962 )
- April 23 : Willi Busch , German actor († 1951 )
- April 23 : Mahmūd Schaltūt , Egyptian Islamic legal scholar († 1963 )
- April 25 : Svend Noldan , German painter and documentary film director († 1978 )
- April 26 : Wunibald Kamm , German engineer and aerodynamicist († 1966 )
- April 27 : Dragoljub Draža Mihailović Serbian general († 1946 )
- April 29 : Harold Clayton Urey , American chemist († 1981 )
- April 29 : Johann Reichhart , last German executioner († 1972 )
- April 30th : Gyula Breyer , Hungarian chess master († 1921 )
- April 30 : Jérôme Marcadanti , French racing car driver († 1926 )
- April 30 : Joachim von Ribbentrop , politician during the Nazi regime and Foreign Minister († 1946 )
- May 2 : Georg Heinrich Arcularius , German veterinarian († 1968 )
- May 2 : Jean de Marguenat , French director, screenwriter and racing car driver († 1956 )
- May 3 : Konstantine Gamsachurdia , Georgian writer († 1975 )
- May 5 : Joseph Maria Lutz , German writer († 1972 )
- May 5 : Willem Karel Mertens , Dutch doctor and hygienist († 1945 )
- May 6 : Hinrich Wilhelm Kopf , first Prime Minister of Lower Saxony († 1961 )
- May 6 : José Calvo Sotelo , Spanish monarchist politician († 1936 )
- May 6 : Marie Kahle , German educator and victim of the Nazi era († 1948 )
- May 6 : Wilhelm Kohlhoff , German painter and graphic artist († 1971 )
- May 10 : György Négyesy , Hungarian chess player († 1992 )
- May 12 : Otto Kühne , German commander in the French resistance movement Résistance († 1955 )
- May 13 : Victor Cordero Gonzales , Peruvian singer and composer († 1949 )
- May 16 : Paul Amadeus Pisk , Austrian musicologist and composer († 1990 )
- May 17 : Kurt Diemer , German soccer player († 1953 )
- May 18 : Friedrich Sieburg , German journalist, writer and literary critic († 1964 )
- May 19 : Władysław Raczkowski , Polish conductor, choir director, organist and pianist († 1959 )
- May 20 : Ásmundur Sveinsson , Icelandic sculptor († 1982 )
- May 27 : Hendrik Gerard Bungenberg de Jong , Dutch chemist († 1977 )
- May 28 : Mina Witkojc , Sorbian poet and publicist († 1975 )
- May 30th : Aud Egede-Nissen , Norwegian actress († 1974 )
- May 30th : Norman Cota , General of the US Army († 1971 )
- May 31 : Elizabeth Coatsworth , American writer († 1986 )
- May 31 : Jos van Son , Dutch football player († 1956 )
- June 3 : Hermann Buddensieg , German writer, editor and translator († 1976 )
- June 3 : Assen Karastojanow , Bulgarian composer († 1976 )
- June 5 : Albert Mähl , German writer and journalist († 1970 )
- June 5 : Georges-Émile Tanguay , Canadian organist, composer and music teacher († 1964 )
- June 6 : Otto Pankok , German painter, draftsman and sculptor († 1966 )
- June 7th : Ludovic Feldman , Romanian composer († 1987 )
- June 7 : Oscar Torp , Norwegian social democratic politician († 1958 )
- June 9 : Samuel Nathaniel Behrman , American writer († 1973 )
- June 11 : Karl Weissenberg , Austrian physicist and one of the first rheologists († 1976 )
- June 12 : Eliseo Grenet , Cuban pianist and composer († 1950 )
- June 13 : Dorothy L. Sayers , English crime novelist and translator († 1957 )
- June 13 : Reinhold Tiling , German engineer, pilot and rocket pioneer († 1933 )
- June 17 : Hermann Matern , German politician († 1971 )
- June 19 : Pierre Bacqueyrisses , French entrepreneur and racing car driver († 1949 )
- June 19 : Alois Šmolík , Czechoslovak aircraft designer († 1952 )
- June 20 : Wilhelm Zaisser , Minister for State Security in the GDR († 1958 )
- June 21 : Alois Hába , Czech composer († 1973 )
- June 23 : Ernst Theodor Eichelbaum , German politician, Member of the Bundestag († 1991 )
- June 24 : Douglas McKay , American politician († 1959 )
- June 24th : Hermann Neubacher , Austrian economist and politician († 1960 )
- June 24th : Hans Sachtleben , German zoologist († 1967 )
- June 24th : Hans Siburg , German general († 1976 )
- June 25 : Otto Lasch , German officer in the Wehrmacht († 1971 )
- June 28 : Florence Henri , American painter and photographer († 1982 )
- June 28 : Hugo Scharnberg , German politician († 1979 )
- June 29 : Aarre Merikanto , Finnish composer († 1958 )
- June 29 : Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis , Indian physicist and statistician († 1972 )
- June 30th : Horst Wolfram Geißler , German writer († 1983 )
- June 30th : Marianne Zoff , Austrian opera singer and actress († 1984 )
- July 1 : Shishi Bunroku , Japanese writer († 1969 )
- July 2 : Johann-Volkmar Fisser , German general († 1940 )
- July 3 : Sándor Bortnyik , Hungarian painter († 1976 )
- July 5 : Giuseppe Caselli , Italian painter († 1976 )
- July 5 : Leo Karl von Habsburg-Lothringen , Austrian and Polish officer († 1939 )
- July 5 : Harry Hemley Plaskett , Canadian astronomer († 1980 )
- July 5 : Gustav Tweer , German stunt pilot and aviation pioneer († 1916 )
- July 8 : Fritz Perls , German psychiatrist and psychotherapist († 1970 )
- July 8 : Nikola Petkow , Bulgarian politician († 1947 )
- July 8 : Kay Glasson Taylor , Australian writer († 1998 )
- July 10 : Paul Ortwin Rave , German art historian († 1962 )
- July 12 : Hellmut Kretzschmar , German archivist and historian († 1965 )
- July 15 : William Dieterle , German film director and actor († 1972 )
- July 15 : Nurul Amin , Pakistani politician († 1974 )
- July 16 : Léopold Boissier , Swiss lawyer, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross († 1968 )
- July 17 : Andor Ákos , Hungarian-German architect, interior designer, painter and graphic artist († 1940 )
- July 17 : Wilhelm Dieckmann , resistance fighter in the Third Reich († 1944 )
- July 18 : Sophie Cossaeus , German actress († 1965 )
- July 18 : Orrice Abram Murdock , American politician († 1979 )
- July 19 : Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovsky , Russian poet († 1930 )
- July 19 : Boris Rajewsky , German biophysicist and radiation researcher († 1974 )
- July 21 : Hans Fallada , German socially critical writer († 1947 )
- July 21 : Margarete Sommer , German social worker, Righteous Among the Nations († 1965 )
- July 22nd : Dagoberto Godoy , Chilean pilot who was the first to fly over the Andes († 1960 )
- July 23 : Heinrich Imig , German politician († 1956 )
- July 25 : Carlo Confalonieri , Italian Cardinal († 1986 )
- July 25 : Hans Hoffmann , German politician († 1952 )
- July 25 : Wilhelm Cleven , auxiliary bishop in Cologne († 1983 )
- July 26 : George Grosz , German painter and graphic artist († 1959 )
- July 28 : Meinrad Inglin , Swiss writer († 1971 )
- July 28 : Rued Langgaard , Danish composer and organist († 1952 )
- July 29 : Josef Papesch , Austrian writer and cultural politician († 1968 )
- July 30th : Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz , German general and tank commander of the Wehrmacht († 1968 )
- July 30 : Rudolf Paul , President of Thuringia († 1978 )
- July 31 : Paul Leverkuehn , German politician († 1960 )
- August 1 : Alexandros I , King of Greece († 1920 )
- August 1st : Anton Wurzer , German dialect poet († 1955 )
- August 4th : Herman Andrew Affel , American electrical engineer, co-inventor of the coaxial cable († 1972 )
- August 5 : Heinrich Zimmermann , German politician († 1963 )
- August 7th : Fritz Grantze , German politician († 1966 )
- August 8 : Ludwig Grote , German art historian († 1974 )
- August 9 : Heinrich Aschoff , German farmer and Righteous Among the Nations († 1958 )
- August 10 : Enrique Clemente Armand-Ugón , Uruguayan lawyer († 1984 )
- August 10 : Erich Behnke , German politician († 1977 )
- August 10 : Douglas Moore , American composer († 1969 )
- August 12 : Edwin Bauersachs , German dialect poet († 1948 )
- August 12 : Willy Marschler , German National Socialist politician († 1952 )
- August 13 : Friedrich Sieber , German educator and folklorist († 1973 )
- August 16 : Hans Koch , German lawyer and resistance fighter († 1945 )
- August 17 : Walter Noddack , German chemist († 1960 )
- August 17 : Paul Schultheiss , German general († 1944 )
- August 17 : Mae West , American film actress and screenwriter († 1980 )
- August 18 : Burleigh Grimes , American athlete († 1985 )
- August 18 : Ernest MacMillan , Canadian composer, conductor, organist and music teacher († 1973 )
- August 19 : Richard Reitzner , German politician († 1962 )
- August 20 : Robert Humphreys , American politician († 1977 )
- August 21 : Lili Boulanger , French composer († 1918 )
- August 22 : Dorothy Parker , American writer († 1967 )
- August 22nd : Ernst Waldow , German actor († 1964 )
- August 26 : Johannes Kleinhappl , Catholic priest and moral theologian († 1979 )
- August 27 : Victor Heerman , American director and screenwriter († 1977 )
- August 27 : Herbert Jilski , German Police General († 1979 )
- August 28 : Hans Theodor Gustav Atmer , German architect († 1982 )
- August 28 : Lawrence Benjamin Brown , American pianist and arranger († 1973 )
- August 29 : Joseph B. Johnson , American politician († 1986 )
- August 31 : Raymond Earl Baldwin , American politician († 1986 )
- August 31 : José María Granada , Spanish playwright, screenwriter and director († 1960 )
- August 31 : Lily Laskine , French harpist († 1988 )
- August 31 : Georg Thumshirn , German motorcycle racer († 1955 )
- September 1 : François Charrière , bishop in the diocese of Lausanne-Geneva-Friborg († 1976 )
- September 2 : Ilse Friedleben , German tennis player († 1963 )
- September 4 : Franz Honner , Austrian politician († 1964 )
- September 6 : Irving Bacon , American actor († 1965 )
- September 6 : John W. Bricker , American politician († 1986 )
- September 7th : Hanna Bekker vom Rath , German patroness († 1983 )
- September 8 : Anton Andergassen , Austrian clergyman and pastor († 1976 )
- September 8 : Erik Reger , German writer († 1954 )
- September 9 : Georgi Wassiljewitsch Florowski , Russian Orthodox theologian († 1979 )
- September 10 : Fritz Fink , German writer, bookseller and local history researcher († 1945 )
- September 10 : Johanna Bormann , guard in concentration camps († 1945 )
- September 10 : Maria de Jesus , Portuguese Supercentenarian († 2009 )
- September 16 : Albert von Szent-Györgyi Nagyrápolt , Hungarian biochemist († 1986 )
- September 16 : Alexander Korda , Hungarian director († 1956 )
- September 18 : Arthur Benjamin , Australian composer († 1960 )
- September 19 : Wilhelm Arnoul , German politician († 1964 )
- September 20 : Hans Scharoun , German architect († 1972 )
- September 21 : Erna Scheffler , German lawyer († 1983 )
- September 22 : Hans Leip , German poet, writer († 1983 )
- September 22 : Linus Kather , German politician, Member of the Bundestag († 1983 )
- September 27 : Birger Forell , Swedish pastor, refugee worker († 1958 )
- September 29 : Harald Abatz , German politician († 1954 )
- September 30 : Otto Wernicke , German actor († 1965 )
- October 1 : Marianne Brandt , German painter, sculptor and designer († 1983 )
- October 1 : Yip Man , Chinese Wing Chun Grand Master († 1972 )
- October 2 : Orland Kay Armstrong , American politician († 1987 )
- October 3 : Clara Thompson , American doctor and psychoanalyst († 1958 )
- October 3 : Hans Piekenbrock , German general († 1959 )
- October 5th : Lajos Czeizler , Hungarian football coach († 1969 )
- October 6 : Milton Ager , American composer († 1979 )
- October 6 : Ernst Gäumann , Swiss botanist, mycologist, university professor († 1963 )
- October 6 : Günther Gereke , German lawyer and politician († 1970 )
- October 8 : Jaime Torrent , Chilean painter († 1925 )
- October 9 : Heinrich George , German actor († 1946 )
- October 9 : Mário Raúl de Morais Andrade , Brazilian writer and poet († 1945 )
- October 10 : Willi Apel , American musicologist († 1988 )
- October 10 : Mela Spira , Austrian actress and writer († 1967 )
- October 11 : Andreas Gayk , German politician († 1954 )
- October 12 : Matthias Joseph Mehs , German politician and local writer († 1976 )
- October 13 : Hans Severus Ziegler , German publicist, artistic director, teacher and Nazi official († 1978 )
- October 13 : Kurt Reidemeister , German mathematician († 1971 )
- October 14 : Lillian Gish , American actress († 1993 )
- October 15 : Carol II , King of Romania († 1953 )
- October 17 : Fritz Ascher , German Expressionist († 1970 )
- October 18 : Roy Del Ruth , American director († 1961 )
- October 19 : Henri Mignet , French aircraft designer and pilot († 1965 )
- October 20 : Jomo Kenyatta , Kenyan Prime Minister († 1978 )
- October 20 : Lyman Young , American cartoonist and comic artist († 1984 )
- October 22 : Ernst Julius Öpik , Estonian astronomer († 1985 )
- October 23 : Jean Acker , American actress († 1978 )
- October 23 : Jean Absil , Belgian composer and professor († 1974 )
- October 24 : Kurt Huber , German professor, folk song researcher, member of the White Rose († 1943 )
- October 25 : Friedrich Liebling , Austrian psychologist († 1982 )
- October 26 : Miloš Crnjanski , Hungarian poet, storyteller, travel writer and playwright († 1977 )
- October 26 : Andreas Predöhl , German economist († 1974 )
- October 28 : René Ahrlé , German graphic artist, painter and photographer († 1976 )
- October 28 : Paul Arendt , German engineer († 1968 )
- October 28 : Karl Farkas , Austrian actor and cabaret artist († 1971 )
- October 30 : Roland Freisler , judge and president of the People's Court († 1945 )
- October 30 : Willy Maertens , German actor, theater director and theater director († 1967 )
- November 1st : Alois Ederer , German chess problem composer († 1959 )
- November 1 : Andreas Paul Weber , German lithographer, draftsman and painter († 1980 )
- November 2nd : Battista "Pinin" Farina , Italian automobile designer († 1966 )
- November 3 : Angelo Jelmini , Swiss apostolic administrator († 1968 )
- November 3 : Carl Stephenson , Austrian-German author and publisher († 1954 )
- November 5 : Raymond Dubly , French football player († 1988 )
- November 5 : Raymond Loewy , French industrial designer († 1986 )
- November 6 : Edsel Ford , American entrepreneur, son of Henry Ford († 1943 )
- November 8 : Prajadhipok , King of Siam (1925–1935) († 1941 )
- November 10 : John Phillips Marquand , American writer († 1960 )
- November 11 : Paul von Guilleaume , German automobile racing driver and motorsport official († 1970 )
- November 13 : Karimeh Abbud , Palestinian-Israeli photographer († 1940 )
- November 13 : Edward Adelbert Doisy , American biochemist († 1986 )
- November 13 : Reuven Rubin , Romanian-born Israeli painter, Israeli ambassador to Romania († 1974 )
- November 14 : Tommy Milton , American racing driver († 1962 )
- November 14th : Philip II of Württemberg , German nobleman († 1975 )
- November 15 : Carlo Emilio Gadda , Italian writer († 1973 )
- November 17 : Max Barthel , German writer († 1975 )
- November 17 : Georg Pahl , German actor and radio play speaker († 1957 )
- November 19 : Eduard van Arkel , Dutch chemist († 1976 )
- November 19 : Gerard Boedijn , Dutch composer and teacher († 1972 )
- November 21 : Ernst Grünfeld , Austrian chess grandmaster († 1962 )
- November 22 : Hannah von Bredow , German opponent of National Socialism († 1971 )
- November 22 : Raymond Collishaw , English military pilot and commander († 1976 )
- November 22 : Lasar Moissejewitsch Kaganowitsch , Soviet politician († 1991 )
- November 22 : Frederick Henry Mueller , American politician († 1976 )
- November 23 : Marion Bayard Folsom , American politician († 1976 )
- November 25 : Max de Pourtalès , French racing car driver († 1935 )
- November 25 : Wendelin Überzwerch , German writer († 1962 )
- November 27 : Carlos Alberto Arroyo del Río , Ecuadorian President († 1969 )
- November 27 : Max Burghardt , German director, chairman of the Kulturbund of the GDR († 1977 )
- November 27 : Dwight Griswold , American politician († 1954 )
- November 27 : Stanisław Wiechowicz , Polish composer († 1963 )
- November 28 : Zenzi Hölzl , Austrian politician, first mayor of an Austrian municipality († 1958 )
- December 1 : Robert Doutrebente , French racing car driver († 1979 )
- December 1 : Ernst Toller , German politician, revolutionary and writer († 1939 )
- December 2 : Raoul Paquet , Canadian organist, music teacher and composer († 1946 )
- December 2 : Walter Risse , German football player († 1969 )
- December 2 : Luise Straus-Ernst , German art historian, journalist and artist († 1944 )
- December 2 : Robert Talbot , Canadian violinist, music teacher and composer († 1954 )
- December 7th : Fay Bainter , American actress († 1968 )
- December 7th : Hermann Balck , German general († 1982 )
- December 7th : Demetrius Constantine Dounis , Greek violinist and music teacher († 1954 )
- December 8 : Karl Ausch , Austrian economist, journalist and functionary († 1976 )
- December 9 : Albert Abicht , German farmer and politician († 1973 )
- December 9 : Dom Paul Benoît , Luxembourg composer († 1979 )
- December 10 : Walter Rein , German composer († 1955 )
- December 12 : Edward G. Robinson , American actor († 1973 )
- December 16 : Giulio Aquila , Hungarian functionary († 1943 )
- December 16 : Georges Truc , French conductor († 1941 )
- December 17th : Erwin Piscator , German director and theater manager († 1966 )
- December 17 : Petre Sergescu , Romanian mathematician and mathematician († 1954 )
- December 20 : Stephen Morehouse Avery , American screenwriter († 1948 )
- December 20 : Ludwig Schneider , German politician († 1977 )
- December 20 : Wilhelm Hollbach , German politician and journalist († 1962 )
- December 21 : Dietzenschmidt , German playwright († 1955 )
- December 21 : Franz Joseph von Thurn und Taxis , German nobleman, head of the Thurn and Taxis since 1953 († 1971 )
- December 22nd : Ulrich Buchholz , German general († 1974 )
- December 23 : Hans Schmidt , German soccer player and coach († 1971 )
- December 24th : Wout Buitenweg , Dutch football player († 1976 )
- December 26 : Elisabet van Randenborgh , German writer († 1983 )
- December 26 : Mao Zedong , Chinese politician († 1976 )
- December 26 : Jauhen Zikozki , Belarusian composer († 1970 )
- December 28 : Ernst Römer , Austro-Mexican conductor, music teacher and composer († 1974 )
- December 29 : Berthold Bartosch , German animator and film director († 1968 )
- December 30th : Queenie Paul , Australian actress, singer and dancer († 1982 )
- December 31 : Mina Amann , German trade unionist and politician († 1966 )
- December 31 : Friedrich Christian von Sachsen , German nobleman, head of the House of Wettin († 1968 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- John Avena , American criminal († 1936 )
- Manuel Gallinato , Chilean painter († 1968 )
- Ludwig Meybert , German actor, theater director and radio play speaker († 1961 )
- Carlos Manuel García Vila , Dominican violinist and music teacher († 1919 )
January to April
- January 2 : Johann Jakob Mezger , Swiss Protestant clergyman and local researcher (* 1817 )
- January 5 : Tommaso Agudio , Italian engineer (* 1827 )
- January 6 : Angelo Baroffio , Swiss lawyer and politician (* 1815 )
- January 7th : Josef Stefan , Austrian mathematician and physicist (* 1835 )
- January 10 : Alexis André , Canadian priest and missionary (* 1832 )
- January 11 : Benjamin Franklin Butler , American general (* 1818 )
- January 11 : John E. Kenna , American politician (* 1848 )
- January 12 : Karl Hill , German opera singer (* 1831 )
- January 13 : Melitta Otto-Alvsleben , German singer (* 1842 )
- January 17th : Karl Anrather , Tyrolean painter (* 1861 )
- January 17 : Rutherford B. Hayes , President of the USA (* 1822 )
- January 19 : Stefan Augsburger , Austrian poet, priest and politician (* 1856 )
- January 22nd : Vinzenz Lachner , German composer and conductor (* 1811 )
- January 22nd : Kawatake Mokuami , Japanese Kabuki author (* 1816 )
- January 23 : John W. Hall , American politician (* 1817 )
- January 27 : James Campbell , American politician (* 1812 )
- February 1 : Joseph P. Comegys , American politician (* 1813 )
- February 2 : Carl Christoffer Georg Andræ , Danish politician (* 1812 )
- February 7 : Johannes August Speltz , Frankfurt lawyer and politician (* 1823 )
- February 14 : Ludwig Lindenschmit the Elder , German prehistorian, history painter and lithographer (* 1809 )
- February 17 : Ethelbert Barksdale , American politician (* 1824 )
- February 19 : Gerson Bleichröder , German banker (* 1822 )
- February 19 : George Eliphaz Spencer , American politician (* 1836 )
- February 20 : Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard , General of the Confederate States of America (* 1818 )
- February 27 : Charles Clifford , New Zealand politician (* 1813 )
- March 2 : Richard M. Bishop , American politician (* 1812 )
- March 5 : Hippolyte Taine , French critic and historian (* 1828 )
- March 6 : Charles Lebouc , French cellist (* 1822 )
- March 9 : Disma Fumagalli , Italian composer and music teacher (* 1826 )
- March 11th : Aaron F. Perry , American politician (* 1815 )
- March 18 : David H. Armstrong , American politician (* 1812 )
- March 18 : Tomás León , Mexican composer and pianist (* 1826 )
- March 22nd : Eli May Saulsbury , American politician (* 1817 )
- March 23 : Philipp Ludwig Adam , German entrepreneur and politician (* 1813 )
- March 28 : Xavier Boisselot , French composer and piano maker (* 1811 )
- April 3 : Achille Apolloni , Italian cardinal (* 1812 )
- April 4 : Karl Eduard Aeschlimann , Swiss court architect (* 1808 )
- April 4 : David Meriwether , American politician (* 1800 )
- April 5 : Caesar Albano Kletke , German educator (* 1805 )
- April 14th : Carl Heinrich Hübler , German horn player and composer (* 1822 )
- April 20 : Robert Hartmann , German physician and ethnologist (* 1832 )
- April 21 : Richard Lee Turberville Beale , American politician, lawyer and Brigadier General of the Confederate (* 1819 )
- April 22nd : Franziska Berg , German actress (* 1813 )
May to August
- May 1 : Alexander Kaufmann , German writer (* 1817 )
- May 1 : Wilhelm Schubert , Baden merchant and politician (* 1813 )
- May 3 : Adolph Kießling , German classical philologist (* 1837 )
- May 4 : James W. Patterson , American politician (* 1823 )
- May 8 : Adolf I. Georg Graf von Schaumburg-Lippe (* 1817 )
- May 14 : Ernst Eduard Kummer , German mathematician (* 1810 )
- May 23 : Anton von Schmerling , Austrian politician and lawyer (* 1805 )
- May 27 : Joseph Stöckle , German writer and philologist (* 1844 )
- May 28 : Felipe Villanueva , Mexican composer (* 1862 )
- June 5th : Julio Popper , cartographer of Havana of Romanian descent, Freemason (* 1857 )
- June 7th : Edwin Booth , American actor (* 1833 )
- June 12 : George Gilbert Hoskins , American politician (* 1824 )
- June 15 : Ferenc Erkel , Hungarian composer (* 1810 )
- June 23 : William Fox , Prime Minister of New Zealand (* 1812 )
- June 26 : Konstantin Karlowitsch Albrecht , Russian composer (* 1836 )
- June 27 : Hermann Wasserschleben , German legal historian and politician (* 1812 )
- June 29 : Johann Anton Friedrich Baudri , auxiliary bishop and vicar general in Cologne (* 1804 )
- July 6 : Guy de Maupassant , French writer and poet (* 1850 )
- July 10 : Henry Nettleship , English classical philologist (* 1839 )
- July 14 : Karl Braun , German free trader (* 1822 )
- July 18 : William M. Stone , American politician (* 1827 )
- July 22 : Ferdinand von Bauer , Austro-Ukrainian War Minister (* 1825 )
- July 25 : Paul d'Abrest , Bohemian writer (* 1850 )
- July 31 : Friedrich Witte , German pharmacist, manufacturer and politician (* 1829 )
- August 5 : Friedrich Wilhelm Adami , German writer (* 1816 )
- August 6th : Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel , Swiss politician (* 1811 )
- August 7th : Alfredo Catalani , Italian opera composer (* 1854 )
- August 11 : Heinrich Eduard Schmieder , German theologian and honorary citizen of Wittenberg (* 1794 )
- August 16 : Jean-Martin Charcot , French neurologist (* 1825 )
- August 20 : Alexander Wassilko von Serecki , Austro-Romanian politician, governor of the Duchy of Bukovina (* 1827 )
- August 23 : Michał Elwiro Andriolli , Polish painter and architect (* 1836 )
- August 27 : Peter Mitterhofer , German carpenter and inventor ( typewriter ) (* 1822 )
September to December
- September 5 : Hermann Hunaeus , German architect (* 1812 )
- September 7th : Hamilton Fish , American politician (* 1808 )
- September 11th : Adolphe Yvon , French painter (* 1817 )
- September 14th : Louis Ruchonnet , Swiss politician (* 1834 )
- September 15 : Hermann Sauppe , German classical philologist and epigraphist (* 1809 )
- September 17th : Michael Rostock , Sorbian botanist and entomologist (* 1821 )
- September 18 : Christoph Arnold , German politician (* 1839 )
- September 25 : Louise von François , German writer (* 1817 )
- September 25 : Adam Miłaszewski , Polish theater director, director and actor (* 1827 )
- October 1 : Carl Rasmussen , Danish painter (* 1841 )
- October 3 : Edwin Nil , Swiss Protestant clergyman (* 1833 )
- October 5 : James Black Groome , American politician (* 1838 )
- October 11 : Ford Madox Brown , British painter (* 1821 )
- October 17 : Patrice de Mac-Mahon , Marshal of France and second President of the Third Republic (* 1808 )
- October 18 : Charles Gounod , French composer (* 1818 )
- October 18 : Lucy Stone , American suffragette and abolitionist (* 1818 )
- October 24 : Julius Tafel , German entrepreneur in Nuremberg (* 1827 )
- October 27 : Friedrich Wilhelm Dörpfeld , German educator (* 1824 )
- October 30 : John Abbott , the first "native" Canadian Prime Minister (* 1821 )
- October 30 : Karl Bodmer , Swiss painter (* 1809 )
- November 6th : Pyotr Tchaikovsky , Russian composer (* 1840 )
- November 8 : Ernest Cahen , French organist and composer (* 1828 )
- November 9th : Hermann August Hagen , German entomologist (* 1817 )
- November 11 : Charles Henry Bell , American politician (* 1823 )
- November 13 : Arnaud-Michel d'Abbadie , French geographer (* 1815 )
- November 20 : Kalle Løchen , Norwegian painter and theater actor (* 1865 )
- November 21 : Morgan C. Hamilton , American politician (* 1809 )
- November 21 : Jeremiah McLain Rusk , American politician (* 1830 )
- November 23 : Mariana Grajales , Cuban freedom fighter from the Wars of Independence (* 1815 )
- November 24th : John J. Jacob , American politician (* 1829 )
- December 1 : Anton Anno , German actor, director, theater director and playwright (* 1838 )
- December 1 : Eduard Franck , German composer (* 1817 )
- December 4 : Heinrich Göbel , German-American inventor (* 1818 )
- December 4th : John Tyndall , Irish physicist (* 1820 )
- December 9 : Nathan A. Farwell , American politician (* 1812 )
- December 14 : Carl Gotthilf Büttner , German Protestant missionary, pastor and linguist (* 1848 )
- December 21 : Alfred H. Littlefield , American politician (* 1829 )
- December 23 : Benedict Randhartinger , Austrian composer and court conductor (* 1802 )
- December 25 : Benjamin T. Biggs , American politician (* 1821 )
- December 27 : Charles Merivale , English historian and dean of Ely Cathedral (* 1808 )
- December 30th : Samuel White Baker , English explorer of Africa (* 1821 )