Calendar overview 1842
Hamburg's old town is destroyed by the Hamburg fire .
|Battle of Gandamak in the First Anglo-Afghan War turns into a debacle for the British.|
|1842 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1290/91 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1834/35 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1247/48 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2385/86 (southern Buddhism); 2384/85 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1204/05 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4175/76 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1257/58 (New Year 11/12 February)|
|Jewish calendar||5602/03 (September 4th / 5th)|
|Coptic calendar||1558/59 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1257/58 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2152/53 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2153/54 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1898/99 (April)|
Politics and world events
- January 1 : British Major General William George Keith Elphinstone signs the deed of surrender with Afghan rebel leaders in Kabul during the First Anglo-Afghan War . On January 6, the retreat of the surviving British troops to the Chaiber Pass begins .
- January 13 : During the First Anglo-Afghan War it comes to the battle of Gandamak .
- April 7th : During the First Anglo-Afghan War , the siege of Jalalabad ends .
- June 17 : British diplomats Charles Stoddart and Arthur Conolly are beheaded as alleged spies in Bukhara .
First opium war
- August 29, China-Great Britain signing the Nanking Treaty
- December 29th : The Treaty of Nanking ends the first opium war .
- January 17 : An uprising by the conservative Cartists led by António Bernardo da Costa Cabral ends the phase of Setembrist governments in Portugal . Costa Cabral rules the country dictatorially (until 1846 ).
- December 3 : The city of Barcelona is fired at by the Spanish military for 12 hours to quell an outbreak that has broken out. The bombardment has been directed to Regent Baldomero Espartero .
- May 16 : A first column of covered wagons with 100 settlers set off from Missouri on the Oregon Trail over the Rocky Mountains to the west.
- August 9 : The Webster-Ashburton Treaty finally ends the Aroostook War and regulates the border between the American state of Maine and the British colony of New Brunswick .
- August 14 : The Second Seminole War led by the US Army in Florida ends with the almost complete extermination of the Seminole Indians.
- October 19 : Believing that war against Mexico had broken out, US naval officer Thomas ap Catesby Jones occupies the city of Monterey , California. When the rumors turned out to be false, he withdrew the following day. This and a similar incident a short time later in San Diego led to a sharp protest from the Mexican Secretary of State to the United States under President James K. Polk .
- November 8 : William C. Bouck wins New York gubernatorial election .
- December 19 : The US recognizes Hawaii’s independence .
- December 28 : The British explorer and navigator James Clark Ross discovers the seven smaller islands of the Danger Islands off the Antarctic Peninsula .
- January 1st : The Rheinische Zeitung is founded in Cologne as a newspaper of bourgeois liberalism . The publisher is the Cologne bookseller Joseph Engelbert Renard . On October 15 takes Karl Marx , the chief editor of the new newspaper.
- February 21 : In the United States, John James Greenough receives the first US patent on a sewing machine . It is also intended for leather processing.
- May 14 : The weekly magazine The Illustrated London News , founded by Herbert Ingram and Mark Lemon, appears for the first time. The first edition sold 26,000 copies.
- May 23 : Briton John Bennet Lawes files a patent for his process for the production of superphosphate , a fertilizer for agriculture.
- September 12 to October 16 : The First German Industrial Exhibition in the Deutschhaus Mainz is considered a landmark in German economic history . 75,000 people attend the four-week event, in which around 270 exhibitors take part. The exhibition is the first major event during Nikolaus Nack's tenure as Lord Mayor of Mainz .
- October 5 : Josef Groll brewing in Pilsen the first Sud beer after Pilsner kind of brewing .
science and technology
- March 16 : The steamship HMS Driver takes off from Liverpool on the first steamship trip around the world .
- March 30 : Crawford Williamson Long used in Jefferson , Georgia , first of ether as an anesthetic for the removal of a neck tumor.
- May 25th : The Austrian scientist Christian Doppler lectures in Prague his treatise on the colored light of the double stars and some other stars in the sky , which predicts the Doppler effect .
- Autumn: The Prussian expedition to Egypt under the direction of Karl Richard Lepsius begins. Among other things, the Lepsius pyramid list is created.
- The second volume of the Journey into Inner North America in the years 1832 to 1834 by Maximilian zu Wied-Neuwied with illustrations by Karl Bodmer appears.
- January 15 : A cathedral building association is founded in Cologne to promote the Cologne Cathedral. Heinrich von Wittgenstein was elected first president in February .
- May 15 : The fountain hall in Bad Kissingen , built according to a design by Friedrich von Gärtner , is inaugurated. It is the first civil engineering in Bavaria and one of the first buildings in Germany to be made entirely of cast iron .
- September 4 : More than 300 years after construction work was interrupted, the foundation stone for the continued construction of Cologne Cathedral is laid .
- Annette von Droste-Hülshoff wrote the poem Am Turme .
- The library of the Litterarian Society in Stuttgart is established.
- Honoré de Balzac gives his novel the title La Comédie humaine ( The human comedy ).
Music and theater
- February 27th : The violinist Ferdinand Laub gives his first concert at the age of 10.
- March 3 : In Leipzig Gewandhaus finds the premiere of the Symphony No. 3 ( "Scottish Symphony") by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy under the direction of the composer.
- March 9 : Giuseppe Verdi's opera Nabucco with the libretto by Temistocle Solera is premiered at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan. Verdi's third opera was a sensational success, and he himself became a hero of Italian opera life. The prisoner's choir Va, pensiero based on Psalm 137 becomes Verdi's most famous choir.
- March 10 : The farce with singing He wants to make a joke by Johann Nestroy is premiered at the Theater an der Wien .
- April 2 : The Philharmonic Symphony Society of New York is founded in New York at a meeting initiated by Ureli Corelli Hill . The New York Philharmonic is the oldest symphony orchestra in the USA and is now one of the “Big Five” orchestras .
- May 19 : The opera Linda di Chamounix by Gaetano Donizetti is premiered with great success with Eugenia Tadolini in the leading role at the Theater am Kärntnertor in Vienna.
- October 20 : Richard Wagner's tragic opera Rienzi, the last of the tribunes , is premiered at the Royal Court Theater in Dresden . The composer's breakthrough came with his third completed opera.
- December 9 : Ruslan and Lyudmila , an opera in five acts by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka based on a libretto by Nestor Kukolnik and others based on the epic poem of the same name by Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin is premiered in Saint Petersburg.
- December 31 : The world premiere of the comic opera Der Wildschütz by Albert Lortzing takes place at the Leipzig City Theater . The libretto written by the composer himself after the comedy The buck or the innocent guilty conscious of August von Kotzebue .
- October 18 : The Walhalla memorial near Donaustauf , initiated by King Ludwig I of Bavaria , is inaugurated.
- April 1 : Pope Gregory XVI. promulgates the encyclical Inter ea , which deals with the development in some Swiss cantons.
- The Rhenish Mission Society founded by South Africa in the first German mission office in South West Africa , now Namibia .
- May 5. bis 8. May : The Hamburg fire , which can be brought only after four days under control, is more than a quarter of Hamburg old town destroyed. 51 people are killed, the number of homeless is estimated at 20,000, the number of houses destroyed at around 1,700. Among other things , the town hall on the Trostbrücke burned down on May 5th and the Petrikirche on May 7th . For years, the Hamburg cityscape has been shaped by the destroyed areas and the makeshift apartments built on them. The planning for the redesign of the urban area will already begin in May under the leadership of the English engineer William Lindley .
- May 7th : An earthquake kills 5,000 people in the city of Cap-Haitien alone . Other cities in the Caribbean were affected by the quake and the subsequent tsunami.
- May 8 : The Versailles rail accident occurs near Meudon in France . At least 50 people die after the axle of the first steam locomotive on a train with around 770 people broke. The second locomotive and three passenger cars push themselves into the wreck. The most prominent victims are polar explorer Jules Dumont d'Urville with his wife and son.
- July 20 : The highest mountain in the Pyrenees , the Aneto , is climbed for the first time by the Russian ex-officer Platon de Tchihatcheff and his companions.
- August 8 : The 4,042 meter high Lauteraarhorn is climbed for the first time by a group of six mountaineers.
Historical maps and views
- January 5 : Carl Engler , German chemist († 1925 )
- January 6 : Clarence King , American geologist († 1901 )
- January 11 : William James , American psychologist and philosopher († 1910 )
- January 12 : Teobert painter , Austrian photographer, discoverer and researcher of Maya ruins († 1917 )
- January 13 : Heinrich Hofmann , German composer († 1902 )
- January 15 : Josef Breuer , Austrian doctor, physiologist and philosopher († 1925 )
- January 19 : Charles Hopper Gibson , American politician († 1900 )
- January 20 : Miklós Konkoly-Thege , Hungarian astronomer († 1916 )
- January 22nd : Henri Maréchal , French composer († 1924 )
- January 26 : François Coppée , French writer († 1908 )
- January 29 : Alfred Friedrich Bluntschli , Swiss architect († 1930 )
- February 2 : Karl August Deinhard , German naval officer († 1892 )
- February 2 : Carlos Walker Martínez , Chilean author and politician († 1905 )
- February 3 : Sidney Lanier , American poet († 1881 )
- February 4 : Georg Brandes , Danish writer († 1927 )
- February 4 : Hugo Schuchardt , German Romanist († 1927 )
- February 5 : Karl von Wedel , German general and diplomat († 1919 )
- February 6 : Mary Rudge , British world chess champion († 1919 )
- February 7 : Alexandre Ribot , French politician, Prime Minister († 1923 )
- February 8 : Josef Schantl , Austrian musician († 1902 )
- February 11 : Ludwig Barnay , actor and general manager († 1924 )
- February 12 : Julius Scharlach , German lawyer and entrepreneur († 1908 )
- February 13 : Heinrich Gradl , Sudeten German historian († 1895 )
- February 18 : Charles Emory Smith , American politician († 1908 )
- February 20 : Joseph Victor Widmann , Swiss writer and journalist († 1911 )
- February 21 : Edmund Friedrich von Autenrieth , German civil engineer and university professor († 1910 )
- February 23 : Eduard von Hartmann , German philosopher († 1906 )
- February 24 : Arrigo Boito , Italian writer and composer († 1918 )
- February 25 : Karl May , German writer († 1912 )
- February 26 : Hugo Bußmeyer , German composer († 1912 )
- February 26 : Camille Flammarion , French astronomer and author († 1925 )
- February 28 : Stephen Wallace Dorsey , American politician († 1916 )
- March 1 : Rafael Guastavino , Spanish architect and builder († 1908 )
- March 1 : Wilhelm Jordan , German geodesist and mathematician († 1899 )
- March 3 : Frederick Gustavus Burnaby , British military, traveler and writer († 1885 )
- March 3 : James Sully , English psychologist († 1923 )
- March 12th : Cherubine Willimann , superior general in Koblenz († 1914 )
- March 13 : Valentin Joseph Boussinesq , French mathematician and physicist († 1929 )
- March 14 : Wilhelm Wilmanns , German Germanist († 1911 )
- March 18 : Stéphane Mallarmé , French writer († 1898 )
- March 23 : Friedrich Ludwig Balthasar Amelung , Baltic industrialist, chess player and publicist († 1909 )
- March 24th : Gabrielle Krauss , Austrian opera singer († 1906 )
- March 25 : Jean Marie Charles Abadie , French ophthalmologist († 1932 )
- March 25 : Antonio Fogazzaro , Italian writer and poet († 1911 )
- March 29 : Friedrich von Hellwald , Austrian popular science writer († 1892 )
- April 1 : Edmund Neupert , Norwegian pianist, composer and music teacher († 1888 )
- April 2 : Domenico Savio , student of Don Bosco, Italian saint († 1857 )
- April 3 : Katharine Russell, Viscountess Amberley , British noblewoman and suffragette († 1874 )
- April 4 : Édouard Lucas , French mathematician († 1891 )
- April 9 : Herman Greulich , Swiss politician, campaigner for Swiss women's suffrage († 1925 )
- April 10 : August Geib , German poet, bookseller and politician († 1879 )
- April 20 : John Murphy Farley , Archbishop of New York and Cardinal († 1918 )
- April 21 : Charles Follen Adams , American poet († 1918 )
- April 21 : Alberto Errera , Italian economist († 1894 )
- April 29 : Karl Millöcker , Austrian operetta composer († 1899 )
- April 29 : Paul Soleillet , French traveler to Africa († 1886 )
- May 1 : Janet Monach Patey , English singer († 1894 )
- May 2 : Felix Victor Birch-Hirschfeld , German medic († 1899 )
- May 4th : Philipp von Nathusius-Ludom , Prussian politician and editor-in-chief of the "Kreuzzeitung" († 1900 )
- May 6 : Felice Cavallotti , Italian politician, journalist, writer and translator († 1898 )
- May 9 : Henry C. Warmoth , American politician († 1931 )
- May 12 : Jules Massenet , French composer († 1912 )
- May 13 : Arthur Sullivan , English organist, conductor and composer († 1900 )
- May 13 : Giuseppe Terrabugio , Italian organist, composer and church musician († 1933 )
- May 15 : LC Hughes , American politician († 1915 )
- May 15 : Ludwig Viktor of Austria , youngest brother of Emperor Franz Joseph I († 1919 )
- May 17 : August Thyssen , German industrialist († 1926 )
- May 23 : Emmanuel Gallard-Lépinay , French marine painter († 1885 )
- May 23 : Maria Konopnicka , Polish poet († 1910 )
- May 24 : Rudolf von Buol-Berenberg , German politician and President of the Reichstag († 1902 )
- May 26 : Evald Rygh , Norwegian Finance Minister († 1913 )
- May 27 : Amancio Alcorta , Argentine politician and legal scholar († 1902 )
- June 1 : Christoph Blumhardt , Württemberg theologian and pastor of Pietism († 1919 )
- June 2 : Norbert Hanrieder , Austrian dialect poet and priest († 1913 )
- June 3 : Eugen Bracht , German painter and professor († 1921 )
- June 7th : Adolf Bayersdorfer , German art historian and chess problem composer († 1901 )
- June 10 : Adolf Stoltze , German journalist and local poet († 1933 )
- June 10 : Gustav Hartmann , German entrepreneur († 1910 )
- June 11 : Carl von Linde , German engineer, inventor and founder of Linde AG († 1934 )
- June 12 : Friedrich Eduard Bilz , German naturopath († 1922 )
- June 12 : Rikard Nordraak , Norwegian composer († 1866 )
- June 18 : António Mendes Bello , Archbishop of Lisbon and Cardinal († 1929 )
- June 19 : Carl Zeller , Austrian lawyer and composer († 1898 )
- June 21 : Richard Kahle , German actor († 1916 )
- June 24 : Ambrose Bierce , American writer and journalist († 1914 )
- June 25 : Heinrich Seidel , German engineer and writer († 1906 )
- June 29 : Josef Labor , Austrian composer and pianist († 1924 )
- June 30 : Johannes Gad , German neurophysiologist († 1926 )
- June 30 : William Smithe , Canadian politician († 1887 )
- July 1 : Julius Falkenstein , German doctor and Africa traveler († 1917 )
- July 2 : Albert Ladenburg , German chemist († 1911 )
- July 2 : Charles Chaillé-Long , American traveler to Africa († 1917 )
- July 4 : Hermann Cohen , German philosopher of the Jewish faith († 1918 )
- July 7th : Sebastiano Turbiglio , Italian philosopher († 1901 )
- July 11 : Alfred von und zu Liechtenstein , Austrian politician († 1907 )
- July 13 : Bronisław Markiewicz , Polish priest and founder of the order († 1912 )
- July 13 : Paul Friedrich Meyerheim , German painter and graphic artist († 1915 )
- July 16 : Norbert Schrödl , German painter of Austrian origin († 1912 )
- July 17 : Georg von Schönerer , Austrian landowner and politician († 1921 )
- July 18 : Louis Debierre , French organ builder († 1920 )
- July 19 : Frederic T. Greenhalge , American politician († 1896 )
- July 25 : Daniel Paul Schreber , German lawyer and author († 1911 )
- July 26 : Alfred Marshall , British economist († 1924 )
- July 26 : Berthold Delbrück , German linguist († 1922 )
- July 30 : Vojtěch Hřímalý , Czech composer, conductor and violinist († 1908 )
- August 5 : Ferdinand Keller , German painter († 1922 )
- August 13 : Albert Sorel , French writer († 1906 )
- August 14 : Jean Gaston Darboux , French mathematician († 1917 )
- August 14 : George K. Nash , American politician († 1904 )
- August 17 : Hugo Egmont Hørring , lawyer and politician, Danish Prime Minister († 1909 )
- August 20 : Franz Gustav Arndt , German landscape and genre painter († 1905 )
- August 21 : Paulus von Braun , German theologian († 1924 )
- August 23 : Osborne Reynolds , British physicist († 1912 )
- August 25 : Édouard Louis Trouessart , French zoologist († 1927 )
- August 25 : Gustav von Görtz , Austro-Hungarian Major General and Chamberlain († 1903 )
- August 26 : Heinrich Irenaeus Quincke , German internist († 1922 )
- August 28 : Heinrich Heydemann , German archaeologist († 1889 )
- August 29 : Wilhelm Rimpau , agricultural scientist and seed breeder († 1903 )
- August 31 : Josef Riehl , Austrian engineer, significantly involved in the development of Tyrol († 1917 )
- September 1 : Dora Rappard , Swiss missionary († 1923 )
- September 2 : Julius Payer , Austro-Hungarian polar and alpine researcher († 1915 )
- September 5 : John W. Daniel , American politician († 1910 )
- September 7th : Johannes Hermann Zukertort , Polish chess player († 1888 )
- September 9 : Elliott Coues , American surgeon, historian, ornithologist and author († 1899 )
- September 13 : Jan Puzyna de Kosielsko , Cardinal and Bishop of Krakow († 1911 )
- September 13 : Ödön Mihalovich , Hungarian composer († 1929 )
- September 15 : Carl Diercke , German cartographer († 1913 )
- September 20 : James Dewar , British chemist and physicist († 1923 )
- September 20 : Diomede Falconio , Roman Catholic Archbishop and Cardinal († 1917 )
- September 21 : Abdülhamid II , Ottoman Sultan († 1918 )
- September 25 : Franz Darpe , German high school professor, philologist and historian († 1911 )
- September 30 : Auguste-René Dubourg , Archbishop of Rennes and Cardinal († 1921 )
- October 1 : Charles Cros , French poet and inventor († 1888 )
- October 6 : Anton Pössenbacher , German furniture manufacturer († 1920 )
- October 7 : Emil Claar , German actor, writer and director († 1930 )
- October 9 : George Montague Wheeler , American explorer († 1905 )
- October 12 : Adolf Marschall von Bieberstein , German politician, foreign minister, ambassador († 1912 )
- October 13 : Antonio Pasculli , Italian oboist († 1924 )
- October 19 : John L. Mitchell , American politician († 1904 )
- October 24 : Josef Nešvera , Czech composer († 1914 )
- October 26 : Julius Jacob the Younger , German painter († 1929 )
- October 26 : Vasily Vereschagin , Russian battle painter († 1904 )
- October 28 : Louis Luçon , Archbishop of Reims and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1930 )
- October 29 : Gerhard Bunnemann , Lord Mayor and Honorary Citizen of Bielefeld († 1925 )
- October 29 : Thomas Somerscales , British painter († 1927 )
- November 5 : Amelia Bailey , Australian singer († 1932 )
- November 8 : Eugen Gura , Austrian opera singer († 1906 )
- November 11 : William R. Webb , American educator and politician († 1926 )
- November 12th : John William Strutt , English physicist, Nobel Prize winner († 1919 )
- November 13 : Marie Karchow-Lindner , German actress, journalist and patron († 1914 )
- November 16 : Hannibal Sehested , Danish politician († 1924 )
- November 17 : Themistocles von Eckenbrecher , German landscape and marine painter († 1921 )
- November 17 : Julius Pohlig , German engineer and pioneer in cable car construction († 1916 )
- November 19 : Vincenz Czerny , German surgeon († 1916 )
- November 24 : Heinrich Bohner , German Protestant missionary († 1905 )
- November 24 : Charles A. Busiel , American politician († 1901 )
- November 24th : Joseph Anton Friedrich August von Hövel , German politician and district president († 1917 )
- December 3 : Phoebe Hearst , American philanthropist, promoter of women's education († 1919 )
- December 3 : Ellen Swallow Richards , American chemist and ecologist († 1911 )
- December 4 : Franz Xaver Wernz , German Order General († 1914 )
- December 6th : Wilhelm Rühlmann , German organ builder († 1922 )
- December 7th : Otto Ammon , German anthropologist († 1916 )
- December 8 : Alphonse Louis Nicolas Borrelly , French astronomer († 1926 )
- December 9 : Pyotr Kropotkin , Russian anarchist, geographer and writer († 1921 )
- December 11 : William Gosse , naturalist and explorer († 1881 )
- December 14 : Victor Langer , Hungarian composer († 1902 )
- December 15 : Armes Beaumont , Australian singer († 1913 )
- December 15 : Karl Stieler , German lawyer and writer († 1885 )
- December 16 : Melitta Otto-Alvsleben , German singer († 1893 )
- December 16 : Friedrich Julius Rosenbach , German medic († 1923 )
- December 17 : Sophus Lie , Norwegian mathematician († 1899 )
- December 18 : William Anderson , British surgeon († 1900 )
- December 18 : Nathan B. Scott , American politician († 1924 )
- December 25 : Robert Assmus , German landscape painter and illustrator († 1904 )
- December 26th : Laura Gonzenbach , Swiss-Sicilian writer and storyteller († 1878 )
- December 30th : Osman Hamdi Bey , Turkish painter, archaeologist and museum founder († 1910 )
- December 31 : Giovanni Boldini , Italian portrait painter († 1931 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Heinrich Aufhäuser , German banker († 1917 )
- Gabriel Desmoulins , French composer, organist and music teacher († 1902 )
- Alberto Giovannini , Italian composer and music teacher († 1903 )
- Cesare Rossi , Italian composer († 1909 )
January to March
- January 7th : Arnold Friedrich von Mieg , German politician (* 1778 )
- January 7th : Charles Berny d'Ouvillé , French painter (* 1775 )
- January 12th : Johanna Stegen , Prussian patriot, hero girl of Lüneburg (* 1793 )
- January 13 : Wilhelm Traugott Krug , German philosopher (* 1770 )
- January 15 : Karl Mohr , Hessian pastor and politician (* 1769 )
- January 16 : Thomas Fearnley , Norwegian painter (* 1802 )
- January 17th : Joseph Maria von Fraunberg , Bishop of Augsburg and from 1824 to 1842 Archbishop of Bamberg (* 1768 )
- January 19 : Heinrich Anton Hoffmann , German violinist and composer (* 1770 )
- January 25th : Bernhard Christoph Faust , German doctor, founder of the solar theory (* 1755 )
- January 27 : Adolph von Vagedes , German architect, urban planner and poet (* 1777 )
- January 29 : Nathan Fellows Dixon , American politician (* 1774 )
- February 2 : Carl Dörr , German draftsman, graphic artist, painter and musician (* 1777 )
- February 4th : Théodore Simon Jouffroy , French publicist and philosopher (* 1796 )
- February 4th : Colin Robertson , Scottish fur trader and politician in what is now Canada (* 1783 )
- February 7th : Johann Franz Krieger , German actor (* 1802 )
- February 9 : Johann Diederich Gries , German translator (* 1775 )
- February 9 : Andreas Marschall , Hungarian piano maker (* 1783 )
- February 16 : Johann Nepomuk Schaller , Austrian sculptor (* 1777 )
- February 17th : Otto von Haugwitz , German translator and poet (* 1767 )
- February 19 : Louis-Charles Caigniez , French theater writer (* 1762 )
- February 21 : Vojtěch Živný , Bohemian pianist, violinist, teacher and composer (* 1756 )
- March 1 : Christian Philipp Koehler , German civil servant (* 1778 )
- March 6th : Constanze Mozart , wife of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (* 1762 )
- March 6 : Ludwig Friedrich Heyd , German pastor and author (* 1792 )
- March 7th : Christian Theodor Weinlig , composer and choir conductor in Dresden and Leipzig (* 1780 )
- March 7th : Paul Friedrich , Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (* 1800 )
- March 13 : Emanuel von Friedrichsthal , Austrian travel writer (* 1809 )
- March 15 : Luigi Cherubini , Italian composer (* 1760 )
- March 20 : Jacob Auch , German watchmaker, instrument maker and constructor of calculating machines (* 1765 )
- March 21 : Ignaz Anton Demeter , Archbishop of Freiburg (* 1773 )
- March 23 : Stendhal , French writer (* 1783 )
- March 28 : Johann Wilhelm von Anns , German businessman and politician (* 1766 )
- March 29th : Kaspar Heinrich von Sierstorpff , German forester and statesman, founder of the baths in Bad Driburg (* 1750 )
- March 30th : Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun , French painter (* 1755 )
- March: Juan Ángel Arias , Supremo Director of Honduras (* 1800 )
April to June
- April 5 : Shah Shujah , Shah of Afghanistan (* 1780 )
- April 6 : Johann Anton André , German composer and music publisher (* 1775 )
- April 7th : Henrik Anker Bjerregaard Norwegian lawyer and poet (* 1792 )
- April 11 : Sándor Csoma , Hungarian explorer, founder of Tibetology (* 1784 )
- April 13 : Wilhelm August Lampadius , German chemist (* 1772 )
- April 14 : Alejandro María de Aguado , French banker (* 1784 )
- April 20 : Bon-Adrien-Jeannot de Moncey , French general and Marshal of France (* 1754 )
- April 21 : Bertrand Clausel , French general and Marshal of France (* 1772 )
- April 21 : Karl Adalbert von Beyer , abbot of Hamborn and auxiliary bishop in Cologne (* 1764 )
- April 23 : William George Keith Elphinstone , British general (* 1782 )
- April 25 : David Assur Assing , German doctor, poet and editor (* 1787 )
- April 28 : Elijah Paine , American politician (* 1757 )
- April 30th : St. Giuseppe Benedetto Cottolengo , Italian priest and founder of the order (* 1786 )
- May 6 : André Stein , German piano maker (* 1776 )
- May 8 : Jules Dumont d'Urville , French navigator and polar explorer (* 1790 )
- May 12 : Walenty Wańkowicz , Russian painter (* 1799 )
- May 20 : Jules-Maurice Quesnel , Canadian explorer, businessman and politician (* 1786 )
- May 26 : Caroline Auguste Fischer , German writer and women's rights activist (* 1764 )
- May 30 : Hans von Held , Prussian civil servant and writer (* 1764 )
- June 4 : Georg Friedrich Treitschke , German-Austrian playwright, theater director and lepidopterist (* 1776 )
- June 9 : Outerbridge Horsey , American politician (* 1777 )
- June 12 : Thomas Arnold , English theologian and educator (* 1795 )
- June 17th : Arthur Conolly , British traveler, military and diplomat (* 1807 )
- June 17th : Charles Stoddart , British diplomat (* 1806 )
- June 20 : Antal Deák , Hungarian politician (* 1789 )
- June 20 : Michael Umlauf , Austrian composer and Kapellmeister (* 1781 )
- June 26 : Samuel L. Southard , American politician (* 1787 )
- June 28 : James Witherspoon , American politician, lieutenant governor of the state of South Carolina (* 1784 )
July to September
- July 1 : Thomas Veazey , American politician (* 1774 )
- July 7 : Joseph Kopp , German classical philologist (* 1788 )
- July 23 : Jacques-François Besson , Bishop of Metz (* 1756 )
- July 25 : Karl August Lebrun , German actor and playwright (* 1792 )
- July 26th : Michael Friedrich Erdmann Heym , German Mayor and State Elder of Niederlausitz (* 1761 )
- July 28 : Clemens Brentano , German writer (* 1778 )
- July 29th : Mariano Enrique Calvo , Foreign Minister and President of Bolivia (* 1782 )
- July 30th : Johann Leopold Krawinkel , German stocking maker and company founder (* 1780 )
- August 5 : Michael Creizenach , German-Jewish educator and theologian (* 1789 )
- August 13 : John Banim , Irish writer (* 1798 )
- August 18 : João Domingos Bomtempo , Portuguese composer (* 1775 )
- August 18 : Louis de Freycinet , French explorer (* 1779 )
- August 19 : Alexandre Du Sommerard , French archaeologist and art collector (* 1779 )
- August 21 : Johann Friedrich Leopold Duncker , Prussian civil servant, writer and poet (* 1768 or 1770 )
- August 24 : Ryūtei Tanehiko , Japanese writer (* 1783 )
- August 27 : Johann Franz Lepape von Trevern , Bishop of Strasbourg (* 1754 )
- August 28 : Peter Fendi , Austrian painter, watercolorist, lithographer and engraver (* 1796 )
- September 1 : Alexandre-Vincent Pineux Duval , French architect, writer and theater director (* 1767 )
- September 1 : Edward Somerset , British cavalry general (* 1776 )
- September 4 : Pietro Pulli , Italian chemist (* 1771 )
- September 10th : Letitia Tyler , First Lady of the USA (* 1790 )
- September 15 : Francisco Morazán , President of the Central American Federation (* 1792 )
- September 15 : Pierre Baillot , French violin player and composer (* 1771 )
- September 15 : José Francisco Morazán Quezada , President of the Central American Confederation (* 1792 )
- September 21 : Jeremiah Smith , American politician (* 1759 )
- September 24 : Obadiah German , American politician (* 1766 )
October to December
- October 2 : José Mariono Elízaga , Mexican composer (* 1786 )
- October 4th : Lowry Cole , British governor of the South African Cape Colony (* 1772 )
- October 8 : Christoph Ernst Friedrich Weyse , Danish composer (* 1774 )
- October 20 : Grace Darling , English lighthouse keeper's daughter and lifesaver (* 1815 )
- October 23 : Wilhelm Gesenius , German theologian and linguist (* 1786 )
- October 24th : Georg Carabelli , Austro-Hungarian dentist (* 1787 )
- October 24 : Bernardo O'Higgins , Chilean President (* 1778 )
- October 26 : Carl Friedrich Wilhelm Gottlob von Bibra , German farmer and politician (* 1770 )
- October 27 : Georg Friedrich Wiesand , German lawyer and politician (* 1777 )
- October 30 : Allan Cunningham , Scottish writer (* 1784 )
- November 2 : Leopold Puellacher , Austrian painter (* 1776 )
- November 3 : Franz Clement , Austrian violinist, pianist, conductor and composer (* 1780 )
- November 4 : Montfort Stokes , American politician, governor of North Carolina (* 1762 )
- November 10 : Alexei Wassiljewitsch Kolzow , Russian poet (* 1809 )
- November 15 : Hermann Arntzenius , Dutch legal scholar (* 1765 )
- November 15 : Joseph Rastrelli , Saxon composer and conductor (* 1799 )
- November 24th : Pehr Frigel , Swedish composer (* 1750 )
- November 26 : Robert Smith , US Secretary of State (* 1757 )
- November 28 : Maria Callcott , British botanist and author (* 1785 )
- around December 7th : Delphine LaLaurie , American socialite, slave owner and serial killer (* around 1775 )
- December 11 : Georges-Adrien Crapelet , French publisher and Romanist (* 1789 )
- December 12th : Lea Mendelssohn Bartholdy , Prussian pianist, music and culture promoter, mother of four musically gifted children (* 1777 )
- December 16 : Georg Christian Kessler , founder of the first German sparkling wine cellar (* 1787 )
- December 16 : Friedrich Rochlitz , Saxon narrator, playwright, composer and music writer (* 1769 )
- December 17th : Amandus Augustus Abendroth , Hamburg Senator and Mayor (* 1767 )
- December 18 : Giuseppina Negrelli , Welschtiroler patriot, fighter against Napoleonic troops (* 1790 )
- December 18 : Giuseppe Nicolini , Italian opera composer (* 1762 )
- December 25th : Friedrich Dionys Weber , Bohemian composer (* 1766 )
- December 30th : Alois Mayrhofer , Austrian politician, Mayor of St. Pölten (* 1764 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Karl Wilhelm Ammon , German writer (* 1777 )
- Giovanni Balestra , Italian engraver (* 1774 )
- Josef Frederiks , captain of the Bethanians or ǃAman
- Heinrich August Rothe , German mathematician (* 1773 )