Calendar overview 1852
|Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe is published for the first time in book form.||Birkenhead , women and children were called first for the first time! used.|
Cologne communist trial
takes place with great sympathy from the population.
|1852 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1300/01 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1844/45 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||08/09 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1247/48 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2395/96 (southern Buddhism); 2394/95 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1214/15 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4185/86 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1230/31 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1268/69 (October 14/15)|
|Jewish calendar||5612/13 (September 13-14)|
|Coptic calendar||1568/69 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1267/68 (March 1st)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2162/63 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2163/64 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1908/09 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- March 27 : A decree by President Charles-Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte lifts the detention in Bagnos in France . Convicted prisoners are instead deported to work in penal colonies .
- November 21 : The plebiscite for the introduction of the Empire in France is answered with "yes" by an overwhelming majority.
- December 2 : President Charles-Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte presents himself as Napoleon III. crowned Emperor of the French .
German Confederation / Denmark
- May 8th : In the London Protocol the integrity of the entire Danish state is affirmed by the great powers. The duchies of Schleswig and Holstein will remain as independent units.
- October 4 to November 12 : Trial of members of the Communist League in Cologne, on November 17 the league itself dissolves.
- November 4th : Count Camillo Benso von Cavour becomes Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Sardinia .
- December 7 : In a fortress at Mantua are Enrico Tazzoli , Carlo Poma and three other members of the in the time of the Risorgimento active in Mantua Liberation Committee after their arrest and conviction executed by the Austrians.
Other events in Europe
- February 2nd : The priest Martin Merino y Gomez tries to assassinate Queen Isabella of Spain . His dagger does not seriously injure her.
- March 13 : Danilo II. Petrović-Njegoš resigns from his post as Prince-Bishop of Montenegro and, as Danilo I, establishes the hereditary Principality of Montenegro . In the same year there was a first war against the Ottoman Empire .
United States of America
- November 2 : The candidate of the Democrats , Franklin Pierce won the United States presidential election in 1852 against Winfield Scott of the Whig Party . Other candidates include John Parker Hale of the Free Soil Party and Daniel Webster of the Union.
- October 1 : In the UK, the Patent Law Reform Act establishes the first patent law in its modern form.
- February 16 : The German-born farmer, farrier and car maker Henry Studebaker founds the US car and automobile manufacturer Studebaker in South Bend , Indiana .
- September 21 : In Baden-Baden begins Eduard Messmer a store with groceries to operate, which later became the tea -Handelsunternehmen Messmer is.
- June 18 : The Italian chocolatier Domingo Ghirardelli founds Ghirardelli & Girard in San Francisco , the forerunner of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company, which is renowned in the United States and in the industry .
- November 10 : The Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada is founded.
- The Hungarian iron goods dealer Josef Körösi founds an iron foundry in the Styrian community of Andritz , which expanded rapidly and from which Andritz AG would develop over the next few decades .
- William Fargo and Henry Wells found the Wells Fargo Company to offer transportation and later financial services.
- Daniel Baird Wesson and Horace Smith found Smith & Wesson in Norwich , Connecticut .
science and technology
- George Gabriel Stokes discovered and named fluorescence for the first time and what is now called the Stokes shift . In this context he made his first observations of the sun's ultraviolet radiation .
- May 22 : The HMS Agamemnon , the first British liner designed from the keel up as a steam-powered sailing ship, is launched.
- August 14 : The first locomotive drives over the newly built Portage Bridge in the US state of New York. The grand opening will take place on August 25th .
- September 24th : The first airship , built by Henri Giffard , travels with steam power from Paris to Trappes.
- The new construction of the Asnières railway bridge , France's first wrought-iron bridge, opens. It was built by the company of Ernest Goüin based on the plans of Eugène Flachat and the calculations of Émile Clapeyron based on the model of the Britannia Bridge .
Teaching and Research
- October 11th : The University of Sydney starts teaching. It is the oldest university on the fifth continent .
- February 17 : In Saint Petersburg, the collection of paintings in the Hermitage opens to the public as a museum.
- With a few exhibits from the London World's Fair in 1851 , the South Kensington Museum is founded in the London borough of Kensington .
- March 20 : The novel Uncle Tom's Cabin ( Onkel Toms Hütte ) by Harriet Beecher Stowe is published for the first time in book form with a circulation of 5,000 copies. The work is out of stock within 48 hours.
- April 29th : In Great Britain, the 15,000-word thesaurus by Peter Mark Roget is published , which quickly triggers new editions due to high demand.
Music and theater
- January 12 : The neo-classical Teatro Santa Elisabetta in Messina , renamed Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II eight years later , opens.
- February 20 : The comic opera Waldblume by Johann Friedrich Kittl has its world premiere .
- February 21 : The world premiere of the Opéra-comique La poupée de Nuremberg (The Nuremberg Doll) by Adolphe Adam takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris. The libretto is by Adolphe de Leuven and Arthur de Beauplan . In Germany it can be seen for the first time in the translation by Ernst Pasqué on November 26th in Berlin.
- March 6 : The opera The Sicilian Bride of Michael William Balfe is at Theater Royal Drury Lane premiered in London.
- March 19 : The world premiere of the opera The Goblin by Adolphe Adam takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- March 29th : Kampl , a farce with singing by Johann Nestroy with music by Carl Binder , is successfully premiered at the Carl Theater in Vienna.
- September 4th : The world premiere of the opera Si j'étais roi ( If I were King ) by Adolphe Adam on the libretto by Adolphe d'Ennery and Jules-Henri Brésil takes place at the Théâtre-Lyrique in Paris.
- After many years of preparatory work, Baron Hans von und zu Aufseß founded the Germanic National Museum in Nuremberg as a “general repertory”. It uses the Tiergärtnertorturm as a storage facility for its exhibits.
- The Cirque d'hiver in Paris is being built.
- March 25th : After a dispute in the Prussian state parliament a few days earlier, Georg von Vincke as the challenger and Otto von Bismarck as the challenged party to a pistol duel . However, nobody is injured in the duel between Vincke and Bismarck .
- January 6th : Pope Pius IX. creates a Pontifical Commission for Christian Archeology . It is intended to ensure the protection of the ancient holy places, especially in Rome and the surrounding area, for the purpose of further research.
- May 17th : Encyclical sample noscitis venerabiles by Pope Pius IX.
- January 4th : An uncontrollable fire breaks out on the British paddle steamer RMS Amazon on its maiden voyage. The ship explodes and sinks, 104 people are killed.
- February 5 : The Bilberry Dam in England breaks and causes the "Holmfirth Flood" with at least 80 deaths.
- February 26 : The Royal Navy troop transport Birkenhead sinks off South Africa. Only 193 of the 643 people on board survive. In the event of a catastrophe, instead of the usual call, everyone will be for himself! first call women and children first! used.
- July: The two German chess masters Adolf Anderssen and Jean Dufresne play the so-called Evergreen Game in Berlin .
- The oldest written hockey set of rules in the world, the Rules of Harrow , are published in England.
Historical maps and views
- January 4 : Mite Kremnitz , German writer († 1916 )
- January 5 : Edwin Le Roy Antony , American politician († 1913 )
- January 5 : Johann Friedrich Andreas Bollmann , German original († 1901 )
- January 5 : Franjo Vilhar Kalski , Croatian composer († 1928 )
- January 10 : Friedrich Lange , German journalist and politician († 1917 )
- January 11 : Friedrich Spitta , German Protestant theologian († 1924 )
- January 11 : Constantin Fehrenbach , German Chancellor in the Weimar Republic († 1926 )
- January 12 : Joseph Joffre , French general, Marshal of France († 1931 )
- January 12 : Hugo Zöller , German explorer and journalist († 1933 )
- January 16 : Stephan Burián , Austro-Hungarian politician († 1922 )
- January 18 : Adolf Walewski , Polish actor, director and playwright († 1911 )
- January 22 : Joshua Willis Alexander , American politician († 1936 )
- January 26 : Frederick Corder , English composer († 1932 )
- January 26 : Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza , French naval officer and traveler to Africa († 1905 )
- January 28 : Louis Brennan , Irish-Australian designer and inventor († 1932 )
- January 28 : George Wellington , American politician († 1927 )
- January 29 : Kazimierz Morawski , Polish philologist, historian and translator († 1925 )
- January 30 : Carl Schrader , German astronomer and bryologist († 1930 )
- February 5 : Terauchi Masatake , Japanese Prime Minister († 1919 )
- February 8 : Emmerich von Arco auf Valley , German diplomat († 1909 )
- February 8 : Gustav Körte , German archaeologist († 1917 )
- February 12 : Gottfried Friedrich Aly , German classical philologist and school politician († 1913 )
- February 13 : Ion Luca Caragiale , Romanian writer († 1912 )
- February 13 : Dietrich Graf von Hülsen-Haeseler , German infantry general († 1908 )
- February 13 : Johan Ludvig Emil Dreyer , Danish astronomer and science historian († 1926 )
- February 16 : Charles Taze Russell , American founder of the International Bible Students († 1916 )
- February 20 : Charles Erskine Scott Wood , American officer, lawyer, writer († 1944 )
- February 21 : Henry Lloyd (politician) , American politician († 1920 )
- February 22nd : Adolf Gaston Eugen Fick , German ophthalmologist († 1937 )
- February 23 : Dục Đức , fifth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn dynasty († 1883 )
- February 24 : Konrad Beyrich , German explorer and naturalist († after 1894 )
- February 24 : George Moore , Irish writer († 1933 )
- February 26 : John Harvey Kellogg , American doctor and inventor of corn flakes († 1943 )
- February 27 : John McLane , American politician († 1911 )
- February 28 : Anton Maria Schwartz , founder of the Kalasantines, Seliger († 1929 )
- March 1 : Théophile Delcassé , statesman of the French Third Republic († 1923 )
- March 3 : Friedrich Hahn , German geographer († 1917 )
- March 4 : Kristján Jónsson , Icelandic Prime Minister († 1926 )
- April 5 : Nariakira Arisaka , Japanese military († 1915 )
- March 5 : Isabella Augusta Gregory , Irish writer († 1932 )
- March 6 : Josef Bayer , Austrian composer († 1913 )
- March 6 : Joseph Deniker , French anthropologist († 1918 )
- March 8 : Takamura Kōun , Japanese sculptor († 1934 )
- March 9 : Matthew Arthur , Scottish businessman and peer († 1928 )
- March 10 : Richard Anschütz , German chemist († 1937 )
- March 12 : Richard Altmann , German histologist and pathologist († 1900 )
- March 13 : Oscar Blumenthal , German writer and playwright († 1917 )
- March 19 : Heinrich Moritz Graf von Attems-Heiligenkreuz , Austrian cavalry general and Austro-Hungarian Privy Councilor († 1926 )
- March 20 : John Franklin Fort , American politician († 1920 )
- March 21 : Arthur Milchhöfer , German archaeologist († 1903 )
- March 22 : Theodore Davie , Canadian politician († 1898 )
- March 22 : Hector-Irénée Sévin , Archbishop of Lyon and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1916 )
- March 24 : Alexander Schoeller , German banker († 1911 )
- March 30 : James Theodore Bent , British traveler and archaeologist († 1897 )
- April 1 : Edwin Austin Abbey , American painter and illustrator († 1911)
- April 4 : Elkan Bauer , Austrian composer († 1942 )
- April 4 : Paul von Krause , German lawyer and politician († 1923 )
- April 5 : Franz Eckert , German composer († 1916 )
- April 11 : Bérenger Saunière , pastor in Rennes-le-Château († 1917 )
- April 12 : Agnes Sapper , German writer († 1929 )
- April 12 : Ferdinand von Lindemann , German mathematician († 1939 )
- April 12 : Eduard Schulze , German officer and traveler († 1885 )
- April 13 : Winfield Woolworth , founder of the US department store and supermarket chain Woolworth († 1919 )
- April 14 : Maximilian Delphinius Berlitz , German-American language teacher and founder of the "Berlitz language schools" († 1921 )
- April 14 : Henrique Oswald , Brazilian composer († 1931 )
- April 15 : Josef Freinademetz , Catholic religious, missionary to China and saint († 1908 )
- April 17 : Ida Boy-Ed , German writer († 1928 )
- April 18 : Friedrich von Thiersch , German architect and painter († 1921 )
- April 20 : Alberto Pedrazzini , Swiss politician and writer († 1930 )
- April 21 : Victoriano Guisasola y Menéndez , Archbishop of Valencia and Toledo, Cardinal († 1920 )
- April 22nd : William IV , Luxembourgish Grand Duke and Duke of Nassau († 1912 )
- April 25 : Leopoldo Alas (Clarín) , Spanish writer († 1901 )
- April 30 : Hans Bachmann , Swiss painter († 1917 )
- April 30 : Marcell Driver , German lawyer and politician († 1912 )
- May 1 : Friedrich Philipp von Abert , German Archbishop († 1912 )
- May 1 : Calamity Jane , American western heroine († 1903 )
- May 1st : Santiago Ramón y Cajal , Spanish medic and Nobel Prize winner († 1934 )
- May 4 : Alice Liddell , template for the heroine in Alice in Wonderland († 1934 )
- May 5 : Pietro Gasparri , Italian Cardinal Secretary of State († 1934 )
- May 6 : Viktor Gluth , German composer and music teacher († 1917 )
- May 8 : Filippo Giustini , Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1920 )
- May 14 : Alton B. Parker , lawyer and US presidential candidate 1904 († 1926 )
- May 16 : Eduard Zacharias , German botanist († 1911 )
- May 18 : Julius Anton Adam , German genre and animal painter and lithographer († 1913 )
- May 18 : Itzhok Lejb Perez , Polish writer († 1915 )
- May 20 : Louis Artaud , French politician († 1937 )
- May 22 : Moritz von Auffenberg , Austro-Hungarian general († 1928 )
- May 22 : Niwa Jun'ichirō , Japanese translator and writer († 1919 )
- May 22 : Émile Sauret , French violin virtuoso and composer († 1920 )
- May 23 : Weldon B. Heyburn , American politician († 1912 )
- May 23 : Henri van Kol , Dutch Social Democrat († 1925 )
- May 25 : Franz Hilarius Ascher , Austrian land and mine owner, mining consultant, general director, editor-in-chief and publisher († 1929 )
- May 30 : Joseph Probst , German homeland researcher († 1899 )
- May 31 : Perito Moreno , Argentine geographer, anthropologist and explorer († 1919 )
- May 31 : Julius Richard Petri , German bacteriologist († 1921 )
- June 5 : Carl Georg Oscar Drude , German botanist († 1933 )
- June 7th : Alfred Amschl , Austrian lawyer and writer († 1926 )
- June 9 : Ludwig Zimmermann , German-Baltic Protestant martyr († 1906 )
- June 15 : Daniel Burley Woolfall , British football official, FIFA President († 1918 )
- June 18 : Ján Černoch , Archbishop of Esztergom and Cardinal († 1927 )
- June 19 : Richard Kund , German officer and explorer († 1904 )
- June 20 : Georg Wilhelm Abel , German-Guatemalan diplomat († 1926 )
- June 24th : Eugen von Aichelburg , Austrian politician († 1917 )
- June 24th : Friedrich Loeffler , German hygienist († 1915 )
- June 24 : Victor Adler , Austrian politician († 1918 )
- June 25 : Antoni Gaudí , Spanish architect of Catalan Modernism († 1926 )
- June 28 : Georg Loeschcke , German classical philologist and archaeologist († 1915 )
- June 29 : Robert Kidston , English botanist († 1924 )
- July 3 : Rafael Joseffy , Hungarian pianist and music teacher († 1915 )
- July 5 : Pedro Antonio Díaz , Panamanian President († 1919 )
- July 6 : Arnulf of Bavaria , Bavarian Prince († 1907 )
- July 11th : Johann Josef Ammann , Austrian ethnographer and educator († 1913 )
- July 12 : Franz Himstedt , German physicist († 1933 )
- July 12 : Hipólito Yrigoyen , Argentine President († 1933 )
- July 13 : Franz Oppenheim , German chemist and industrialist († 1929 )
- July 14 : James Dwight , American tennis player († 1917 )
- July 14 : Walter Robert-Tornow , German translator († 1895 )
- July 25 : Minas Cheras , Armenian writer and teacher († 1929 )
- July 30th : Ludwig Hoffmann , German architect and urban planner in Berlin († 1932 )
- August 1 : Eilhard Wiedemann , German physicist († 1928 )
- August 2 : Bernhard Duhr , German Jesuit, theologian and historian († 1930 )
- August 3 : Clemens Denhardt , German Africa explorer († 1929 )
- August 3 : Domenico Serafini , Italian Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1918 )
- August 8 : Joseph Emmanuel II. Toma , Patriarch of Babylon the Chaldeans († 1947 )
- August 8 : Paul Leonhardt , German politician, honorary citizen of Wittenberg († 1927 )
- August 12 : Leo von Abbema , German architect († 1929 )
- August 16 : Adolf Schlatter , Swiss Protestant theologian († 1938 )
- August 16 : Hermann von Soden , Evangelical Lutheran theologian († 1914 )
- August 21 : James Peabody , American politician († 1917 )
- August 21 : Hermann Speck von Sternburg , German diplomat and art collector († 1908 )
- August 23 : Arnold Toynbee , British economic historian († 1883 )
- August 23 : Ocke Christian Nerong , Schleswig-Holstein teacher and local researcher († 1909 )
- August 24 : Ferdinand Hueppe , German medic and President of the DFB († 1938 )
- August 30 : Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff , Dutch chemist († 1911 )
- September 2 : Paul Bourget , French poet and critic († 1935 )
- September 3 : Karl von Müller , German theologian († 1940 )
- September 4 : Edoardo Mascheroni , Italian conductor and composer († 1941 )
- September 6th : Mila Kupfer-Berger , Austrian opera singer and singing teacher († 1905 )
- September 8 : Gojong , Korean king at the end of the Joseon dynasty († 1919 )
- September 9 : John Henry Poynting , English physicist († 1914 )
- September 12 : Herbert Henry Asquith , British politician and Prime Minister († 1928 )
- September 13 : Obadiah Gardner , American politician († 1938 )
- September 14 : Hermann Lattemann , German professional airship and parachutist († 1894 )
- September 18 : Hans Wagner , German father of the Philatelist Days († 1940 )
- September 23 : William Stewart Halsted , American surgeon († 1922 )
- September 24 : Joseph Martin , Canadian politician († 1923 )
- September 28 : John French, 1st Earl of Ypres , British Field Marshal († 1925 )
- September 28 : Henri Moissan , French chemist († 1907 )
- September 29 : Lewis Dewart Apsley , American politician († 1925 )
- September 30 : Charles Villiers Stanford , Irish composer († 1924 )
- October 1 : Heinrich Seeling , German architect († 1932 )
- October 1 : Richard Kralik , Austrian writer and cultural philosopher († 1934 )
- October 2 : Curt von François , German officer in the protection force of the former colony of German South West Africa, founder of the capital Windhoek († 1931 )
- October 2 : William O'Brien , Irish journalist and politician († 1928 )
- October 2 : William Ramsay , British chemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1916 )
- October 9 : Heinrich Leonhard Adolphi , German-Baltic pastor, chess player, evangelical martyr († 1918 )
- October 9 : Emil Fischer , German chemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1919 )
- October 14 : Otto Binswanger , German university professor, psychiatrist and neurologist († 1929 )
- October 16 : Karl Ludwig Schemann , German writer, translator and race researcher († 1938 )
- October 22 : Adam Müller-Guttenbrunn , Austrian writer and theater director († 1923 )
- October 24 : George W. Clarke , American politician († 1936 )
- October 28 : Theodor Fritsch , German publicist of anti-Semitic writings († 1933 )
- October 28 : Heinrich Otto Lehmann , German legal scholar, legal historian and university lecturer († 1904 )
- October 30 : Casimir von Arx , Swiss politician († 1931 )
- October 31 : Robert von Pöhlmann , German ancient historian († 1914 )
- November 3 : Mutsuhito , Emperor of Japan († 1912 )
- November 10 : Theodor Fuendeling , bookseller and publisher in Hameln († 1919 )
- November 11th : Count Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf , Austrian field marshal († 1925 )
- November 14 : Alfred Lichtwark , German art historian, museum director and art educator († 1914 )
- November 15 : Tawfiq , Khedive of Egypt († 1892 )
- November 16 : Friedrich August , Grand Duke of Oldenburg († 1931 )
- November 21 : Francisco Tárrega , Spanish guitarist and composer († 1909 )
- November 22 : Paul Henri d'Estournelles de Constant , founder and president of the French parliamentary group for voluntary arbitration († 1924 )
- November 25 : Paul Hillemacher , French composer and pianist († 1933 )
- November 26 : Hermann Howaldt , German engineer († 1900 )
- November 26 : Yamamoto Gonnohyōe , Prime Minister of Japan, Chief Admiral of the Great Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy († 1933 )
- November 30 : Peter Joseph Lausberg , auxiliary bishop in Cologne († 1922 )
- December 2 : Tōkai Sanshi , Japanese writer († 1922 )
- December 4 : John Kean , American politician († 1914 )
- December 13 : Emanuel Schreiber , Austrian rabbi and journalist († 1932 )
- December 14 : Richard Ritter Schubert von Soldern , Austrian philosopher († 1924 )
- December 15 : Antoine Henri Becquerel , French physicist († 1908 )
- December 19 : Albert A. Michelson , American physicist († 1931 )
- December 23 : Josef Strobach , Austrian politician, Mayor of Vienna († 1905 )
- December 25 : Henry Tifft Gage , American politician († 1924 )
- December 31 : Carl Stegmann , German philologist and grammar school director († 1929 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Louis Allard , French trombonist and music teacher († 1940 )
- Antonio Vanegas Arroyo , Mexican publisher († 1917 )
- Badi ' , Persian martyr of Bahaism († 1869 )
- Tadeusz Ajdukiewicz , Polish portrait, genre and military painter († 1916 )
- Minnie Walton , Australian-American singer and actress († 1879 )
January to March
- January 6th : Louis Braille , French inventor of Braille (* 1809 )
- January 24th : Jan Kollár , Slovak lyric poet and scholar (* 1793 )
- January 25 : Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen , Russian navigator (* 1778 )
- January 27 : Paavo Ruotsalainen , Finnish revival preacher (* 1777 )
- February 24 : Ethan Allen Brown , American politician (* 1776 )
- February 25 : Thomas Moore , Irish writer (* 1779 )
- February 27 : Joseph Drechsler , Austrian composer and music teacher (* 1782 )
- March 4 : Nikolai Gogol , Russian writer (* 1809 )
- March 10 : Armand Marrast , French journalist (* 1801 )
- March 12th : Georg August von Auenfels , Austrian Major General and Knight of the Military Maria Theresa Order (* 1773)
- March 13 : Georg Moller , German architect and urban planner (* 1784 )
- March 14 : Charles Nicolas d'Anthouard de Vraincourt , French Artillery Division General (* 1773 )
- March 17 : Ferdinand Oechsle , German mechanic, goldsmith and inventor (* 1774 )
- March 18 : Friedrich Wilhelm Carové , German lawyer, Germanist and philosopher (* 1789 )
- March 19 : Zoé Talon , Comtesse du Cayla, confidante of Louis XVIII. (* 1785 )
- March 22nd : Sir John Harvey , British general and colonial administrator (* 1778 )
- March 22nd : Jeremiah Morrow , American politician (* 1771 )
- March 23 : Heinrich Karl Ludwig Bardeleben , German lawyer and politician (* 1775 )
- March 23 : Alexis de Garaudé , French music teacher and composer (* 1779 )
April to June
- April 5 : Felix Fürst zu Schwarzenberg , Austrian politician and diplomat (* 1800 )
- April 6 : François-Louis Cailler , Swiss chocolate pioneer (* 1796 )
- April 24 : Leopold I , Grand Duke of Baden (* 1790 )
- April 30th : Charles Andrews , American politician (* 1814 )
- May 3 : Friedrich Wilhelm Karl von Arnim , police chief of Berlin (* 1786 )
- May 3 : Sara Coleridge , English writer and translator (* 1802 )
- May 6 : William Bellinger Bulloch , American politician (* 1777 )
- May 15 : Louisa Catherine Johnson Adams , First Lady of the USA (* 1775 )
- May 15 : Karl Joseph Aloys Agricola , miniature painter and engraver (* 1779 )
- May 23 : Carlo Amati , Italian architect (* 1776 )
- May 23 : Georg Jakob Strunz , German musician and composer (* 1781 )
- May 26 : Johan Gunder Adler , co-author of the Norwegian Basic Law (* 1784 )
- May 27th : Eduard Dohlhoff , German doctor and medical advisor (* 1799 )
- June 4th : Jens Christian Berg , Norwegian lawyer and historian (* 1775 )
- June 4th : James Pradier , French sculptor (* 1790 )
- June 5th : Tomasz Napoleon Nidecki , Polish composer (* 1807 )
- June 8 : Perry Smith , American politician (* 1783 )
- June 15 : Friedrich Groos , German doctor and philosopher (* 1768 )
- June 21 : Friedrich Froebel , German educator (* 1782 )
- June 24th : Wilhelm Carl Ferdinand von Ahlefeldt-Laurvigen , Canon of the Cathedral Chapter of Lübeck Cathedral (* 1769 )
- June 27 : Lemuel H. Arnold , American politician (* 1792 )
- June 28 : Karl Ernst Schmid , German legal scholar (* 1774 )
- June 29 : Henry Clay , US Secretary of State (* 1777 )
July to December
- July 2 : James S. Calhoun , American politician (* 1802 )
- July 9 : Thomas McKennan , American politician (* 1794 )
- July 19 : John McKinley , American politician and lawyer (* 1780 )
- July 27th : Johann Andreas Schmeller , German Germanist and Bavarian linguist (* 1785 )
- August 7th : Robert Rantoul , American politician (* 1805 )
- August 15 : Johan Gadolin , Finnish chemist (* 1760 )
- August 24th : Joseph Vance , American politician (* 1786 )
- September 14th : Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington , British military leader (* 1769 )
- September 19 : Émilie de Rodat , French religious sister, mystic and founder of the order (* 1787 )
- September 21 : John Chambers , American politician (* 1780 )
- September 21 : William Badger , American politician (* 1779 )
- September 27 : Adolf Overweg , German astronomer, geologist and Africa researcher (* 1822 )
- September 28 : Jehu Jones , American pastor (* 1786 )
- October 13 : John Lloyd Stephens , American explorer, amateur archaeologist, author, lawyer and diplomat (* 1805 )
- October 15 : Friedrich Ludwig Jahn , German gymnastics father (* 1778 )
- October 17 : Anton Apponyi von Nagy-Apponyi , Austrian diplomat (* 1782 )
- October 31 : Edward Bransfield , Irish-Scottish navigator and explorer (* 1785 )
- October: Carl Alexander Simon , German painter and poet (* 1805 )
- November 10th : Gideon Mantell , English doctor, geologist and paleontologist (* 1790 )
- November 11th : David Henshaw , American politician (* 1791 )
- November 12 : Adolph Schoder , Württemberg politician (* 1817 )
- November 13 : Karol Bołoz Antoniewicz , Polish theologian and missionary (* 1807 )
- November 18 : Anton Bernhard Fürstenau , German flautist and composer (* 1792 )
- November 21 : Ludwig Gustav von Thile , Prussian general and head of the military cabinet (* 1781 )
- November 23 : John Sergeant , American politician (* 1779 )
- November 24th : Walter Forward , American politician (* 1786 )
- November 26th : Aeneas Coffey , Irish engineer (* 1780 )
- November 27th : Ada Lovelace , British mathematician (* 1815 )
- December 1st : Ernst Casimir I of Ysenburg and Büdingen , 1st Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen (* 1781 )
- December 13 : Karl Baldamus , German lawyer, publicist, poet, narrator and poet (* 1784 )
- December 13 : Edward Seguin , American opera singer and impresario (* 1809 )
- December 15 : Józef Damse , Polish composer (* 1789 )
- December 15 : Cornelius P. Van Ness , American politician (* 1782 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Abdullah bin Abdul Kadir , Malaysian scholar (* 1795 )
- Qurrat al-ʿAin , Persian poet and martyr of Babism (* 1814 )
- Mirza-Schaffy , Azerbaijani poet (* 1794 )