Calendar overview 1849
|revolutions in Europe are finally being crushed.|
|Giuseppe Mazzini calls in the Papal States , the Roman Republic , which, however, has only five months inventory.|
|1849 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1297/98 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1841/42 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||05/06 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1244/45 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2392/93 (southern Buddhism); 2391/92 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1211/12 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4182/83 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1227/28 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1265/66 (November 16-17)|
|Jewish calendar||5609/10 (September 16/17)|
|Coptic calendar||1565/66 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1264/65 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2159/60 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2160/61 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1905/06 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- February 9 : In the Papal States calls within the Risorgimento Giuseppe Mazzini the Roman Republic from. It is immediately violently suppressed by the intervention of French and Spanish troops until July 3rd.
- February 22 : The Danish termination of the Malmö armistice causes the Schleswig-Holstein War to flare up again.
- March 4th : The Austrian imperial constitution imposed on them makes Croatia , Slavonia and Dalmatia their own crown land of Austria with a Ban as governor.
- March 7th : Following the enactment of the constitution of the Austrian Empire by Emperor Franz Joseph I , the Reichstag in Austria-Hungary is forcibly dissolved.
- March 12th : The Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont declares war on Austria because the Chamber of Deputies and the people want the struggle for independence to continue in northern Italy during the Risorgimento .
- March 13th : About 30,000 people take part in the people's assembly on the Judenbühl in Nuremberg .
- March 23 : Italian insurgents under the leadership of the Polish general Wojciech Chrzanowski suffer a defeat in the battle of Novara . The Austrians, whose army is commanded by Field Marshal Josef Graf Radetzky , retain their dominance in northern Italy and delay the Risorgimento .
- March 27th : The Frankfurt National Assembly adopts the Paulskirche constitution .
- March 28 : Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia is elected German Emperor by the Frankfurt National Assembly
- April 3 : Rejection of the imperial crown by Friedrich Wilhelm IV to the imperial deputation
- April 4 : In the Hungarian Revolution , the rebels emerge victorious from the Battle of Tápióbicske against the Austrian troops.
- April 5 : Battle near Eckernförde as part of the Schleswig-Holstein War
- May 3 : The beginning of the Dresden May uprising aims to overthrow King Friedrich August II of Saxony and establish a republic. The Russian anarchist Michail Bakunin , who arrived on May 4th, takes the lead among the revolutionaries, including Gottfried Semper and Richard Wagner .
- May 6 : Cathedral Vicar Adolph Kolping founds the Cologne Journeyman Association with seven journeymen in the Columba School, Karl Marx announces his Communist Party manifesto in the overcrowded hall of the Gürzenich on the same day .
- May 11 : Baden Revolution - soldiers mutinied in the Rastatt fortress . The uprising spreads nationwide and a few days later forced Grand Duke Leopold to flee Karlsruhe .
- May 26th : Prussia , Saxony and Hanover form the three kings alliance with the aim of founding a federal state . The project was later given the name Erfurter Union .
- May 30 : In Prussia which is three-class franchise introduced; the exclusively male voters are divided into three classes according to the amount of their tax payments and thus have very different weighting of votes.
- May 31 : March Revolution : last session of the German National Assembly in Frankfurt am Main , then move as the rump parliament to Stuttgart
- June 4th : In the Schleswig-Holstein war , German and Danish ships fight each other at Heligoland , the only one in the German imperial fleet .
- June 5th : 1st Constitution in Denmark
- June 18 : The rump parliament of the Frankfurt National Assembly , which has evaded to Stuttgart , is dissolved by military force. Non-Württemberg MPs are expelled from the state.
- June 18 : Change of government in Portugal . Despite major protests, Queen Maria II reappoints the Margrave of Tomar as Prime Minister's successor to the Duke of Saldanha .
- July 3 : French and Spanish intervention troops conquer Rome to defeat Pope Pius IX. to restore worldly power. The Roman Republic is being abolished by force.
- July 23 : Rastatt is captured by Prussian troops. The renewed attempt to establish a republic in the Grand Duchy of Baden after the Hecker uprising failed again.
- August 13 : During the War of Independence in Hungary , the army under General Artur Görgey surrenders to Russian troops. As part of the Holy Alliance , these together with Austrian units put down the revolution of the Magyars .
- October 6 : At the instigation of Count Haynau , Ludwig Batthyány , first Hungarian Prime Minister in the course of the Hungarian Revolution, is shot dead in Pest ; on the same day 13 leaders of the uprising against the Austrian Empire were executed in Arad .
- November 18 : The Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia is separated from Hungary and becomes a separate crown land in the Habsburg Monarchy . The loyalty of the Illyrian movement to the Habsburg government in the turmoil of the revolution is thus honored.
- December 5 : Introduction of the three-class suffrage in Prussia
- December 22nd : A pardon by Tsar Nicholas I saves the writer Fyodor Michailowitsch Dostojewski from the firing squad .
- February 13th : The first German ship with emigrants to Australia, the Goddefroy , arrives in Melbourne . Many of the Forty-Eighters were politically persecuted after the German Revolution .
- February 21 : The Sikh army loses the Battle of Gujarat against British troops under Hugh Gough . Your empire in Punjab is incorporated into British India .
- March 29th : The Punjab with its capital Lahore becomes part of the British Empire.
- March 5 : Zachary Taylor is sworn in as the 12th President of the United States , replacing James K. Polk .
Money and postal services
- January 1 : The Swiss Post is founded, responsible for the transport of letters, parcels, money and people.
- March 3 : The US Congress authorized the United States Mint minting gold coins in denomination of one and twenty dollars .
- November 1st : The Kingdom of Bavaria is the first German state to issue a postage stamp .
- April 21 : The first edition of the women's newspaper founded by Louise Otto appears in Großenhain / Saxony .
- May 19 : The Neue Rheinische Zeitung , published by Karl Marx in Cologne, ceases to appear after the failure of the March Revolution in the Prussian Rhine Province .
- June 1st : Karl Thienemann founds Thienemann Verlag in Stuttgart .
- November 27 : Bernhard Wolff founds the Telegraphische Correspondenz-Bureau in Berlin as a news office for the press. It is the first German and one of the first news agencies in Europe.
- April 10 : Walter Hunt receives the patent for the safety pin he invented .
- May 6th : Adolph Kolping founds a Catholic journeyman's association in Cologne .
- September 25 : With the opening of the section Eisenach - Gerstungen is that of the Thuringian railway company built total distance of the Thuringian Railway completed.
science and technology
- April 12th : The Italian astronomer Annibale de Gasparis is the first to spot Hygiea , the third largest asteroid .
- April 26 : Irish astronomer William Parsons finds the galaxy NGC 5569 in the constellation Virgo .
- July 18 : The Universidad de la República is founded in Montevideo , the first public university in Uruguay .
- July 21 : For the first time a balloon is launched from a ship . The Austrian Navy wants to throw bombs on Venice from the air while fighting the Repubblica di San Marco . However, poor wind conditions prevent the release.
- November 15 : Foundation of the " Imperial and Royal Geological Institute" (today: Federal Geological Institute ) by Emperor Franz Joseph I.
- March 9th : World premiere of the comic opera Die Lustigen Weiber von Windsor by Otto Nicolai at the Royal Opera House in Berlin
- April 16 : World premiere of the opera Le Prophète (The Prophet) by Giacomo Meyerbeer at the Grand Opéra Paris
- May 10 : Astor Place Riot
- October 1st : World premiere of the comic opera La Fée aux roses by Jacques Fromental Halévy at the Opéra-Comique in Paris
- October 16 : Foundation of the episcopal boarding school Collegium Augustinianum Gaesdonck
- November 17th : World premiere of the play Höllenangst by Johann Nestroy in the Carl Theater in Vienna
- The London hat makers Thomas and William Bowler are making a so-called melon for the first time .
- December 8th : In the encyclical Nostis et nobiscum , Pope Pius IX. on developments in Italy and opposes the theories of socialism and communism .
- January 1 : Friedrich von Puteani , Czech painter and etcher († 1917 )
- January 2 : Heinrich von Mendel-Steinfels , Prussian State Economics Council and member of the Prussian House of Representatives († 1902 )
- January 8 : Stepan Ossipowitsch Makarow , Russian admiral and polar explorer († 1904 )
- January 9 : John Hartley , English tennis player († 1935 )
- January 10 : Friedrich Wilhelm Putzger , German teacher and textbook author († 1913 )
- January 11 : Joseph Belli , German Social Democrat († 1927 )
- January 11th : Oskar Lassar , German doctor († 1907 )
- January 11th : Ignacio Pinazo , Spanish painter († 1916 )
- January 11 : Alexander Pomeranzew , Russian architect († 1918 )
- January 11 : William J. Mills , American politician († 1915 )
- January 12 : Candelario Obeso , Colombian writer († 1884 )
- January 12 : Murphy J. Foster , American politician († 1921 )
- January 13 : Alfhild Agrell , Swedish writer († 1923 )
- January 13 : Erwin Bälz , German internist and anthropologist († 1913 )
- January 16 : Juhana Heikki Erkko , Finnish writer († 1906 )
- January 18 : Edmund Barton , Australian politician and Prime Minister († 1920 )
- January 18 : Antonio Cecchi , Italian explorer († 1896 )
- January 18 : Richard Pischel , German Indologist († 1908 )
- January 21 : Józef Szczepkowski , Polish opera singer († 1909 )
- January 22nd : August Strindberg , Swedish writer and playwright († 1912 )
- January 29 : Newton Blanchard , American politician († 1922 )
- January 30th : Josef Anton Schobinger , Swiss politician († 1911 )
- January 31 : August Reinsdorf , German anarchist († 1885 )
- February 2 : Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav , Slovak poet († 1921 )
- February 3 : Ilse Frapan , German writer († 1908 )
- February 5 : August Palm , Swedish social democrat and agitator († 1922 )
- February 6 : Hermine Villinger , German writer († 1917 )
- February 8 : Aristide Cavallari , Patriarch of Venice and Cardinal († 1914 )
- February 9 : Giovanni Passannante , Italian anarchist († 1910 )
- February 13 : Captain von Köpenick , actually Friedrich Wilhelm Voigt , German-Luxembourgish shoemaker and impostor († 1922 )
- February 13 : Oskar Nast , Lord Mayor († 1907 )
- February 13 : Randolph Churchill , British politician († 1895 )
- February 18 : Alexander Lange Kielland , Norwegian author († 1906 )
- February 18 : Jérôme-Eugène Coggia , French astronomer († 1919 )
- February 21 : Édouard Gaston Deville , Canadian explorer († 1924 )
- February 24 : Franz Skarbina , German painter († 1910 )
- February 25 : Erich Zweigert , German politician († 1906 )
- February 27 : Václav Beneš Třebízský , Czech writer and priest († 1884 )
- March 2 : Anton Krettner , German composer and mayor of Bad Tölz († 1899 )
- March 3 : Leonhard Tietz , German businessman of Jewish descent († 1914 )
- March 6 : August Luchs , German classical philologist († 1938 )
- March 6 : Georg Luger , Austrian weapons technician († 1923 )
- March 7 : Luther Burbank , American plant breeder († 1926 )
- March 17 : Carl Zaar , German architect († 1924 )
- March 18 : Theodor Auracher , German classical philologist and specialist author († 1891 )
- March 18 : Wilhelm von Seldeneck , German entrepreneur († 1925 )
- March 19 : Alfred von Tirpitz , German Grand Admiral († 1930 )
- March 20 : Henri Dallier , French composer and organist († 1934 )
- March 20 : Henry Petersen , Danish archaeologist († 1896 )
- March 25 : Sahag II. Khabayan , Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia († 1939 )
- March 26th : Armand Peugeot , French entrepreneur († 1915 )
- March 27 : Carlo Dossi , Italian writer and diplomat († 1910 )
- March 28 : James Darmesteter , French orientalist († 1894 )
- March 31 : Ernst Assmann , German physician and scientist († 1926 )
- April 3 : Walter Guion , American lawyer and politician († 1927 )
- April 3 : Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia , rejects the imperial crown
- April 6 : John William Waterhouse , British painter († 1917 )
- April 12 : Albert Heim , Swiss geologist († 1937 )
- April 14 : Sergei Ivanovich Mosin , Russian weapons designer († 1902 )
- April 17 : William R. Day , American politician († 1923 )
- April 18 : Adolf Slaby , German inventor, first professor of electrical engineering at TH Berlin († 1913 )
- April 20 : Ulrich Dürrenmatt , journalist and politician († 1908 )
- April 21 : Oscar Hertwig , German zoologist († 1922 )
- April 23 : Alexander Georg Aster , German architect and non-fiction author († 1917 )
- April 25 : Haruthiun Abeljanz , Swiss chemist († 1921 )
- April 25 : Felix Klein , German mathematician († 1925 )
- April 25 : Joseph Zimmermann , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman († 1921 )
- May 3 : Bernhard von Bülow , German statesman († 1929 )
- May 3 : Bertha Benz , German automobile pioneer, wife of Carl Benz († 1944 )
- May 8 : Ewald Haase , German firefighter, politician and cycling official († 1930 )
- May 9 : Friedrich Freudenthal , 'homeland writer' in Low Germany († 1929 )
- May 9 : Theodor Leutwein , German governor of German South West Africa († 1921 )
- May 17 : Max Aronheim , German lawyer and entrepreneur († 1905 )
- May 19 : Adrien Lachenal , Swiss politician († 1918 )
- May 20 : Georg Bötticher , German graphic artist and writer († 1918 )
- May 22 : Louis Perrier , Swiss politician († 1913 )
- May 25 : Tom Wiggins , American musician and composer († 1908 )
- May 26 : Albert Adamo , German painter († 1887 )
- May 26 : Ernst Julius Remak , German neurologist († 1911 )
- May 26 : Hubert von Herkomer , German-British painter, sculptor, musician and writer († 1914 )
- May 29 : Lorenz Adlon , German restaurateur and hotelier († 1921 )
- June 1 : Gustav von Escherich , Austrian mathematician († 1935 )
- June 6 : William T. Watson , American politician († 1917 )
- June 9 : Karl Tanera , German officer and writer († 1904 )
- June 10 : Eduard Arnhold , German entrepreneur, art patron and philanthropist († 1925 )
- June 12 : Onofre Jarpa Labra , Chilean painter († 1940 )
- June 14 : Hugo von Habermann , German painter († 1929 )
- June 17 : Andrea Aiuti , Cardinal of the Catholic Church († 1905 )
- June 29 : Sergei Juljewitsch Witte , Russian politician († 1915 )
- June 29 : John Hunn , American politician († 1926 )
- June 30 : William Joseph Deboe , American politician († 1927 )
- July 3 : Viktor von Grumbkow , Prussian major general († 1901 )
- July 8 : Edward Marjoribanks, 2nd Baron Tweedmouth , British statesman († 1909 )
- July 10 : John W. Griggs , American politician († 1927 )
- July 12 : William Osler , Canadian medic († 1919 )
- July 13 : Ferdinand Brütt , German painter († 1936 )
- July 13 : Hermann Helmer , German architect († 1919 )
- July 16 : Curt von Prittwitz and Gaffron , German admiral, member of the Prussian mansion († 1922 )
- July 16 : Theodor Barth , German politician and publicist († 1909 )
- July 18 : Hugo Riemann , German music theorist, music historian and music teacher († 1919 )
- July 19 : François-Alphonse Aulard , French historian († 1928 )
- July 22nd : Emma Lazarus , American poet († 1887 )
- July 23 : Seth Bullock , American western hero († 1919 )
- July 23 : Géza Zichy , Hungarian pianist and composer († 1924 )
- July 24th : August Scherl , major German publisher († 1921 )
- July 29 : Edward Theodore Compton , English painter and mountaineer († 1921 )
- July 29 : Franz Fischer , German conductor and cellist († 1918 )
- August 1 : August Specht , German animal painter († 1923 )
- August 3 : William Gregory , American politician († 1901 )
- August 9 : Charles Nagel , American politician and lawyer († 1940 )
- August 15 : Charles Labelle , Canadian composer, choir director, conductor and music teacher († 1903 )
- August 18 : Benjamin Godard , French composer († 1895 )
- August 20 : Joseph-Jean-Félix Aubert , French painter († 1924 )
- August 23 : William Ernest Henley , English writer († 1903 )
- August 23 : William S. West , American politician († 1914 )
- September 1 : Emil Zuckerkandl , Austrian physician († 1910 )
- September 8 : Gustav Schreck , German music teacher, composer and choir director († 1918 )
- September 9 : Rienzi Melville Johnston , American journalist and politician († 1926 )
- September 16 : Ottilie Schwahn , German narrator († 1918 )
- September 19 : Michael Ancher , Danish painter († 1927 )
- September 19 : Friedrich Seifriz , Austrian landowner and politician († 1912 )
- September 22nd : Alexander Forrest , Australian explorer († 1901 )
- September 22 : Anton von Kersting , German military († 1922 )
- September 23 : Hugo von Seeliger , German astronomer († 1924 )
- September 24 : James Black , American politician († 1938 )
- September 26 : Ivan Pavlov , Russian physician and Nobel Prize winner († 1936 )
- September 27 : Cosme San Martín , Chilean painter († 1906 )
- September 29 : Franz von Assisi Ludwig Prince von Arenberg , German diplomat and politician († 1907 )
- September 30 : Adolf Kaegi , Swiss Indologist, linguist and Graecist († 1923 )
- September: Cesare Dall'Olio , Italian composer and music teacher († 1906 )
- October 1 : Anne Charlotte Leffler , Swedish writer († 1892 )
- October 5 : Wilhelm Blos , journalist, President of Württemberg († 1927 )
- October 6 : Basil Zaharoff , British arms dealer and casino owner († 1936 )
- October 6 : Ludwig Purtscheller , Austrian mountaineer, teacher († 1900 )
- October 9 : Gustav Lilienthal , German builder and social reformer († 1933 )
- October 11 : Carl Wolff , Romanian economist, journalist and politician († 1929 )
- October 11 : William Knox D'Arcy , British entrepreneur († 1917 )
- October 12 : Robert Müser , son and successor of the "coal doctor" Friedrich Wilhelm Müser († 1927 )
- October 16 : Arnold Krug , German composer († 1904 )
- October 16 : Alfred von Wierusz-Kowalski , Polish painter († 1915 )
- October 21 : Gustav Adolf Arndt , German lawyer and university professor († 1926 )
- October 26 : Heinrich Bulthaupt , German author († 1905 )
- October 26 : Ferdinand Georg Frobenius , German mathematician († 1917 )
- October 30 : Georg Kaibel , German classical philologist († 1901 )
- October 30 : Takaki Kanehiro , Japanese naval doctor († 1920 )
- November 1 : William Merritt Chase , American painter († 1916 )
- November 2 : Johannes Benjamin Brennecke , German secret medical council and doctor († 1931 )
- November 3 : Georg Goetz , German classical philologist († 1932 )
- November 4 : Max Kienitz , German forester, forest scientist and conservationist († 1931 )
- November 4 : James Orman , American politician († 1919 )
- November 7th : Ernesto Rodolfo Hintze Ribeiro , Portuguese politician († 1907 )
- November 10 : József Hampel , Hungarian archaeologist and museum curator († 1913 )
- November 12th : Ernst Sandberg , German medic († 1917 )
- November 19 : James Mason , Irish-American chess player († 1905 )
- November 21 : Hermann Möckel , German senior seminar teacher, head of city council, club and association functionary († 1920 )
- November 21 : Paul Rée , German philosopher, empiricist († 1901 )
- November 22nd : Fritz Mauthner , German philosopher and writer († 1923 )
- November 24 : Frances Hodgson Burnett , British author († 1924 )
- November 24th : Benedikt Niese , German classical philologist and ancient historian († 1910 )
- November 29 : Edward Bibbins Aveling , English zoologist († 1898 )
- November 29 : John Ambrose Fleming , British electrical engineer and physicist († 1945 )
- November 29 : Horace Lamb , British mathematician and physicist († 1934 )
- December 4 : Ernesto Köhler , Italian flautist and composer († 1907 )
- December 5 : Helene Adler , German writer († 1923 )
- December 6 : August von Mackensen , German Field Marshal General († 1945 )
- December 6 : Charles Spalding Thomas , American politician († 1934 )
- December 7th : Max Emanuel , Bavarian Duke († 1893 )
- December 7th : Pierre-Paulin Andrieu , French cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1935 )
- December 10 : Prosper Mathieu Henry , French optician and astronomer († 1903 )
- December 11 : Ellen Key , Swedish reform pedagogue and writer († 1926 )
- December 13 : Otto Lenel , German legal historian († 1935 )
- December 19 : Henry Clay Frick , American industrialist († 1919 )
- December 20 : John W. Kern , American politician († 1917 )
- December 22nd : Christian Rohlfs , German expressionist painter († 1938 )
- December 23 : Stine Andresen , German writer († 1927 )
- December 25 : Nogi Maresuke , Japanese general († 1912 )
- December 28 : Herbert von Bismarck , son of Otto von Bismarck († 1904 )
- December 29 : Otto Stoll , Swiss geographer and ethnologist († 1922 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Muhammad Abduh , Islamic reformer († 1905 )
- Josep Amargós i Samaranch , Spanish architect († 1918 )
- Aurel Eisenkolb , Romanian-German composer († 1918 )
- Wenzel Josef Heller , Bohemian composer, church musician, military bandmaster and choir director († 1914 )
- Franciszek Słomkowski , Polish violinist, conductor, music teacher and composer († 1924 )
- Louis Tiercelin , French writer († 1915 )
January to April
- January 4th : Franz Xaver Gabelsberger , inventor of the German unified abbreviation in use today (* 1789 )
- January 6th : Johann Caspar von Orelli , Swiss classical philologist (* 1787 )
- January 9 : Jan Kops , Dutch Reformed theologian and agronomist (* 1765 )
- January 11 : Ray Greene , American politician (* 1765 )
- January 13 : Francisco Ramón Vicuña Larraín , Chilean President (* 1775 )
- January 25 : Elias Parish Alvars , English harpist and composer (* 1808 )
- January 26 : Thomas Lovell Beddoes , English poet (* 1803 )
- January 27 : Julius August Ludwig Wegscheider , Protestant theologian (* 1771 )
- January 28 : Rudolf Burnitz , German architect (* 1788 )
- January 28 : David L. Morril , American politician (* 1772 )
- February 2 : Mullah Husayn , first letter of the living (* 1813 )
- February 2 : Benjamin W. Leigh , American politician (* 1781 )
- February 15 : Pierre-François Verhulst , Belgian mathematician (* 1804 )
- February 24 : Joseph Adamy , Nassau mine owner and politician (* 1778 )
- March 3 : Benedict Arnold , American politician (* 1780 )
- March 17th : Wilhelm II , King of the Netherlands (* 1792 )
- March 24th : Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner , German chemist (* 1780 )
- April 3 : Juliusz Słowacki , Polish poet (* 1809 )
- April 7th : Josef Franz von Sales Johann Baptist Karl Nikolaus von Flüe Amrhyn , Swiss Federal Chancellor (* 1800 )
- April 7th : Friedrich Wilhelm Rettberg , German Protestant theologian, philosopher and church historian (* 1805 )
- April 13th : Théophile Marion Dumersan , French playwright, poet, librettist and numismatist (* 1780 )
- April 15 : Thomas Carr , American music publisher, composer and organist (* 1780 )
- April 18 : Carlo Rossi , Italian-Russian architect (* 1775 )
- April 27 : William B. Cooper , American politician (* 1771 )
May to August
- May 3 : Max Schneckenburger , German author (* 1819 )
- May 5th : Ferdinand von Maltzan , German manor owner and Mecklenburg hereditary land marshal von Wenden; lifted serfdom on his estates as the first in Mecklenburg in 1816 (* 1778 )
- May 9 : Wilhelm Adolph Haußner , doctor and city councilor in Pirna (* 1819 )
- May 11 : Otto Nicolai , German composer (* 1810 )
- May 11 : Stephan Ludwig Roth , Transylvanian-Saxon writer, school reformer and politician (* 1796 )
- May 12 : Laurenz Lersch , German classical philologist (* 1811 )
- May 18 : Samuel Amsler , Swiss engraver (* 1791 )
- May 19 : Theodor Heinsius , German linguist and lexicographer (* 1770 )
- May 20 : Michael Traugott Pfeiffer , German-Swiss music teacher (* 1771 )
- May 28 : Anne Brontë , English writer (* 1820 )
- June 1 : Maria Elisabeth in Bavaria , Princess of Wagram and Duchess of Neuchâtel (* 1784 )
- June 10 : Alois von Beckh-Widmanstätten , Austrian printer (* 1754 )
- June 10 : Thomas Robert Bugeaud , French general and Marshal of France (* 1784 )
- June 12 : Angelica Catalani , Italian opera singer (* 1780 )
- June 13 : Colomba Antonietti , Italian patriot (* 1826 )
- June 15 : James K. Polk , American President (* 1795 )
- June 24th : Wilhelm Ludwig Viktor Henckel von Donnersmarck , Prussian general (* 1775 )
- June 26 : Johann Georg Florschütz , German Protestant clergyman (* 1779 )
- June 28 : Maximilien Joseph Moll , German watchmaker and revolutionary, died near Rothenfels an der Murg (* 1813 in Cologne )
- July 17th : Alojz Ipavec , Slovenian composer (* 1815 )
- July 27 : Charlotte Elisabeth Sophie Louise Wilhelmine von Ahlefeld , German writer (* 1781 )
- July 28 : Charles Albert I , King of Sardinia-Piedmont and Duke of Savoy (* 1798 )
- July 28 : Gabriel Jean Joseph Molitor , French general, Marshal of France (* 1770 )
- July 31 : Johann Maximilian Dortu , German revolutionary (* 1826 )
- July 31 : Sándor Petőfi , Hungarian national poet (* 1823 )
- August 2nd : Muhammad Ali Pascha , governor of the Ottoman province of Egypt (* around 1770 )
- August 7th : Ernst Elsenhans , Stuttgart journalist and revolutionary (* 1815 )
- August 9 : Friedrich Neff , Baden lawyer, philosopher and revolutionary (* 1821 )
- August 11 : Gustav Nikolaus Tiedemann , Baden lieutenant and revolutionary (* 1808 )
- August 11 : Konrad Heilig , Badischer NCO and revolutionary (* 1817 )
- August 12 : Albert Gallatin , American politician and diplomat (* 1761 )
- August 14 : Wilhelm Adolph von Trützschler , Thuringian lawyer, participant in the revolution in Baden (* 1818 )
- August 21 : Gebhard Kromer , soldier and revolutionary from Baden (* 1821 )
- August 26th : Marianna Clara Auernhammer , Austrian singer, pianist and composer (* 1786 )
- August 26 : Jacques Féréol Mazas , French violinist and violin teacher (* 1782 )
- August 26 : Karl Gottfried Nadler , German lawyer and Palatinate dialect poet (* 1809 )
September to December
- September 1 : Pawel Wassiljewitsch Tschitschagow , Russian admiral (* 1767 )
- September 3 : Ernst von Feuchtersleben , Austrian popular philosopher, doctor, poet and essayist (* 1806 )
- September 4th : Karl Ferdinand Becker , German doctor, scientist, pedagogue and linguist (* 1775 )
- September 7th : Mariano Paredes y Arrillaga , Mexican military and interim President of Mexico (* 1797 )
- September 7th : Johann Karl Heinrich von Zobel , German Lutheran theologian and honorary citizen of Borna (* 1773 )
- September 25 : Johann Strauss , Austrian composer (* 1804 )
- September 30th : Silas H. Jennison , American politician (* 1791 )
- October 7th : Edgar Allan Poe , American writer (* 1809 )
- October 9 : William Townsend Aiton , English botanical gardener (* 1766 )
- October 11 : Valentin Streuber , Baden revolutionary (* 1798 )
- October 13 : Pietro Anderloni , Italian engraver (* 1784 )
- October 17th : Frédéric Chopin , Polish composer (* 1810 )
- October 18 : Christian Märklin , Protestant theologian (* 1807 )
- October 22 : Gottlob König , German forest scientist (* 1779 )
- October 24 : José da Gama Carneiro e Sousa , Portuguese military and politician (* 1788 )
- November 1st : Peter Alois Gratz , Catholic biblical scholar (* 1769 )
- November 3 : Karl Albert von Kamptz , lawyer and Prussian Minister of State and Justice (* 1769 )
- November 4th : George Anson , British politician (* 1769 )
- November 7th : Christian von Rother , Prussian politician (* 1778 )
- November 13 : William Etty , British Romantic painter (* 1787 )
- November 14th : Carl Adams , German mathematician and teacher (* 1811 )
- November 21 : François-Marius Granet , French painter (* 1775 )
- November 25th : Juan Arolas , Spanish poet (* 1805 )
- November 26 : Julius Eduard Hitzig , German writer and judge of the chamber judge (* 1780 )
- November 26th : Lodovico Pavoni , Seliger, Italian priest and founder of an order (* 1827 )
- December 2 : Adelheid von Sachsen-Meiningen , English royal wife and namesake for the city of Adelaide (* 1792 )
- December 8 : Bernhard Dräsecke , Protestant theologian, general superintendent and bishop (* 1774 )
- December 13 : Johann Centurius von Hoffmannsegg , German botanist, entomologist and ornithologist (* 1766 )
- December 14 : Conradin Kreutzer , German composer (* 1780 )
- December 21 : Johann Gottlieb Freiherr von Süßkind , banker and landowner, richest man in Swabia since the Thirty Years' War (* 1767 )
- December 27 : Jacques-Laurent Agasse , Swiss animal and landscape painter (* 1767 )
- December 29th : Dionisio Aguado , Spanish guitarist and composer (* 1784 )
- December 31 : Carl Borromäus Egger , German Roman Catholic clergyman and politician (* 1772 )