Calendar overview 1804
Coronation of Emperor Napoleon : Napoleon Bonaparte crowns himself
in the Notre Dame de Paris to the Emperor of the French .
Franz II / I.
Austrian Empire .
Jean-Jacques Dessalines proclaims himself
Emperor of Haiti .
|1804 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1252/53 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1796/97 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1209/10 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2347/48 (southern Buddhism); 2346/47 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||74./75. (75./76.) Cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1166/67 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4137/38 (October 2/3)|
|French revolutionary calendar||Year XII./XIII. of the Republic (September 21/22)|
|Islamic calendar||1218/19 (turn of the year 11/12 April)|
|Jewish calendar||5564/65 (September 5-6)|
|Coptic calendar||1520/21 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2114/15 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2115/16 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1860/61 (April)|
Politics and world events
- For the first time the world population exceeds one billion people.
France / Holy Roman Empire
- March 15 : On the orders of Napoleon Bonaparte , the French Duke Louis Antoine Henri de Bourbon-Condé, duc d'Enghien from Ettenheim in Baden is kidnapped in a commando to France. To make an example of the Bourbons , the Duke was executed six days later after a show trial for alleged high treason .
- March 21 : In the moat of the castle Vincennes is the abducted to France nobleman Louis Antoine Henri de Bourbon-Condé, duc d'Enghien from extermination - Peloton executed.
- March 21 : The Civil Code , the new French civil code , comes into force. He creates a synthesis of old local legal systems and revolutionary law. And he guarantees the equality of all citizens before the law.
- August 11 : The Roman-German Emperor Franz II from the House of Habsburg founds the hereditary empire of Austria and thus becomes Emperor Franz I of Austria .
- October 27 : Karl Reichsfreiherr vom und zum Stein becomes Prime Minister of Prussia.
- December 2nd : Napoleon crowns himself Emperor of the French in Notre Dame . He won this title on May 18th .
Great Britain / Spain
- October 5 : The Spanish frigate Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes is sunk by the British off the southern coast of Portugal. The Spanish fleet suffers a heavy defeat in the sea battle of October 5, 1804, which was fought without a declaration of war .
- December 12 : Spain declares war on Great Britain .
- March 24. bis 3. April : In the area around Horgen raging Bock war .
- March 29 : rebellious rural residents of Zurich led by the shoemaker Hans Jakob Willi defeat government troops in a skirmish on Bocken .
- February 14 : The first Serbian uprising against Ottoman rule, led by Karađorđe , begins with the setting on fire of a caravanserai . Soon afterwards the cities of Požarevac and Valjevo were conquered and the siege of Belgrade began . Sultan Selim III. immediately begins negotiations with the rebels without achieving a result. In Constantinople they fear an expansion of the uprising to other occupied territories and send the Bosnian Pasha Bećiru with 3,000 men to Belgrade. The Pasha appoints 20 Serbs as princes in order to meet the demands of the rebels. Ultimately, however, the negotiations fail and the Sultan begins a military operation against the insurrection.
- October 8 : The Haitian revolutionary leader Jean-Jacques Dessalines has himself proclaimed Emperor James I of Haiti on the Caribbean island of Hispaniola at the end of the Haitian Revolution .
United States of America
- May 14 : The Lewis and Clark expedition begins in St. Louis , the first crossing of the North American continent to the Pacific
- July 11 : In a duel US Vice President wounded Aaron Burr 's political rival, former Finance Minister and US founding father Alexander Hamilton , so hard that he dies next day.
- Presidential election in the United States 1804 : Thomas Jefferson is confirmed and clearly wins ahead of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney . For the first time, not the runner-up becomes Vice President, but George Clinton as Jefferson's running mate .
- The Third Russo-Persian War begins, triggered by the attack by Russian commanders Ivan Gudowitsch and Pawel Zizianow on Echmiadzin , the holiest city in Armenia . At that time , the city is part of the Yerevan Khanate , which is under Persian suzerainty. The war lasted until 1813 .
- William Blackwood founds the bookstore and printer Blackwood & Sons in Edinburgh with a branch in London.
science and technology
- February 21 : The world's first steam rail locomotive, built by Richard Trevithick , successfully passes its test drive. It drives five wagons loaded with iron ore from Penydarren in Wales to Abercynon, 16 kilometers away .
- September 1st : The German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding discovers the asteroid Juno .
- October 13th : The Japanese doctor Hanaoka Seishū successfully uses the anesthetic Mafutsusan he developed himself for anesthesia in a breast cancer operation .
- Nov. 17 : By a decree of Tsar Alexander I created the Kazan State University in Tatar Kazan .
- End of the year: The Archduchess Maria Christina excited and on behalf of her widowed husband Albert Casimir of Mayor Stephan Edler von Wohlleben as a builder built Albertinische water line to Vienna's water supply is completed.
- The British officer William Congreve developed the Congreve rocket .
- In Paderborn, Friedrich Sertürner isolated morphine from the opium drug of the opium poppy.
- January 26th : The world premiere of the opera La Romance by Henri Montan Berton takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- March 17 : Friedrich Schiller's play Wilhelm Tell is premiered at the Weimar Court Theater under the direction of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe , who was the theater's director at the time .
- May 15th : The Singspiel Fanchon, the Leyer Girl by Friedrich Heinrich Himmel has its world premiere at the Court Opera in Berlin .
- November 12th : The dramatic poem The Homage to the Arts by Friedrich Schiller is premiered at the Weimar Court Theater on the occasion of the marriage of Hereditary Prince Friedrich von Weimar to the Russian Princess Maria Pawlowna .
- May 21 : The newly created outside Paris cemetery Père Lachaise is occupied. A girl who died at the age of five is the first to be buried.
- January 6 : Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Duncker , German lawyer († 1847 )
- January 6th : Anna Plochl , Austrian nobleman († 1885 )
- January 9 : Louis d'Aurelle de Paladines , French general († 1877 )
- January 10 : Oakes Ames , American politician († 1873 )
- January 10 : Élie-Frédéric Forey , French general and Marshal of France († 1872 )
- January 12th : Desiderius Beck , royal Bavarian court doctor , founder of the first saline mud spa in Bad Aibling († 1877 )
- January 17 : Matthias Schneckenburger , Protestant theologian († 1848 )
- January 21 : Moritz von Schwind , Austrian-German painter († 1871 )
- January 25 : Antoni Edward Odyniec , Polish poet, playwright and translator († 1885 )
- January 26 : Delphine Gay , French poet († 1855 )
- January 28 : Eugène de Ligne , Belgian politician († 1880 )
- January 30th : Friedrich Franz Wilhelm Brunswig , German veterinarian († 1837 )
- February 1 : Handrij Zejler , Sorbian poet († 1872 )
- February 4th : Ulrike von Levetzow , chamberlain, last great (unrequited) love of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe († 1899 )
- February 7 : John Deere , American farrier, inventor of the steel plow and company founder († 1886 )
- February 9 : John McQueen , American politician († 1867 )
- February 17 : Samuel Read Anderson , American Brigadier General († 1883 )
- February 18 : Thomas Pratt , American politician († 1869 )
- February 19 : Carl von Rokitansky , Austrian pathologist, politician and philosopher († 1878 )
- February 20 : Johann Anton Friedrich Baudri , auxiliary bishop and vicar general in Cologne († 1893 )
- February 22nd : Paul Arnold , Hessian court architect and politician († 1887 )
- February 22 : Johann Tobias Beck , Protestant theologian († 1878 )
- February 28 : Henry S. Foote , American politician († 1880 )
- February : Johan Ludvig Runeberg , Finnish writer († 1877 )
- March 1 : Franz Hanfstaengl , German painter, lithographer and photographer († 1877 )
- March 1 : Klara Wendel , alleged "robber queen" († 1884 )
- March 3 : Johann Philipp Abresch , German democrat († 1861 )
- March 6th : Louis Stromeyer , German surgeon, professor and general physician († 1876 )
- March 7th : Wilhelm Gail , German architectural painter († 1890 )
- March 9 : Ludwig Griesselich , German homeopath, physician and editor of a magazine († 1848 )
- March 13 : Joseph Otto Entres , German sculptor († 1870 )
- March 14 : Johann Strauss (father) , Austrian composer († 1849 )
- March 24th : Emil Lenz , German-Baltic physicist († 1865 )
- March 29 : Nehemiah Abbott , American politician († 1877 )
- March 30th : Salomon Sulzer , Austrian chasan and sacred musician († 1890 )
- April 2 : Jassuda Bédarride , French lawyer († 1882 )
- April 5 : Matthias Jacob Schleiden , German botanist and co-founder of cell theory († 1881 )
- April 10 : Thomas Overton Moore , American politician († 1876 )
- April 12 : George W. Jones , American politician († 1896 )
- April 16 : August Hergenhahn , German politician, Prime Minister of the Duchy of Nassau († 1874 )
- April 17th : Jim Bridger , trapper, scout and explorer in the Wild West of the USA († 1881 )
- April 23 : Ferdinand Anderson , German lawyer and politician († 1864 )
- April 23 : Marie Taglioni , Italian dancer († 1884 )
- May 3 : Francisco Armero y Peñaranda , Spanish lieutenant general and politician († 1866 )
- May 6 : Ferdinand Sauter , Austrian poet († 1854 )
- May 18 : Jules Dupuit , French engineer and economist († 1866 )
- May 19 : Robert Todd Lytle , American politician († 1839 )
- May 24 : Henry H. Crapo , American politician († 1869 )
- May 24 : Joseph Anton Dollmayr , German professor († 1840 )
- May 29 : Gustav Friedrich Held , Saxon lawyer and head of government (1849) († 1857 )
- May 31 : Émile Chevé , French music theorist and music teacher († 1864 )
- May 31 : Louise Farrenc , French composer, pianist and musicologist († 1875 )
- June 1 : Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka , Russian composer († 1857 )
- June 3 : Richard Cobden , figure of Manchester liberalism and the free trade movement († 1865 )
- June 3 : Jacques-Joseph Moreau , French doctor and psychiatrist († 1884 )
- June 5 : August Wredow , German sculptor († 1891 )
- June 6 : Per Conrad Boman , Swedish composer († 1861 )
- June 6 : Georg Heinrich Crola , German painter († 1879 )
- June 9 : Wilhelm Steigerwald , German industrialist († 1869 )
- June 10 : Hermann Schlegel , German ornithologist († 1884 )
- June 21 : Johann Gabriel Seidl , Austrian archaeologist, poet, storyteller and playwright († 1875 )
- June 22nd : Horace Eaton , American politician († 1855 )
- June 23 : August Borsig , German entrepreneur and founder of the Borsig-Werke († 1854 )
- June 24th : Stephan Endlicher , Austrian botanist, numismatist and sinologist († 1849 )
- June 25 : Friedrich Henning von Arnim , German entrepreneur († 1885 )
- June 26 : Ludwig Julius Asher , German landscape painter and sculptor († 1878 )
- June 27 : Peter Rieß , German physicist († 1883 )
- June 28 : Franz Julius Ferdinand Meyen , German medic, botanist and university professor († 1840 )
- June 30 : Leopold von Orlich , German officer and writer († 1860 )
- July 1 : George Sand , French writer († 1876 )
- July 4 : Charles Gordon Atherton , American politician († 1853 )
- July 4 : Nathaniel Hawthorne , American writer († 1864 )
- July 4th : Karl Theodor Gustav Julius Krafft , German church councilor and doctor of philology († 1878 )
- July 14 : Ludwig von Benedek , Austrian general († 1881 )
- July 17 : Henry Wellesley , British diplomat († 1884 )
- July 18 : Elizabeth Gould , British illustrator († 1841)
- July 18 : Gustav Eduard von Hindersin , Prussian general († 1872 )
- July 20 : Richard Owen , British surgeon, zoologist, paleontologist and evolutionary biologist († 1892 )
- July 22nd : Victor Schoelcher , French politician and freedom fighter († 1893 )
- July 28 : Ludwig Feuerbach , German philosopher († 1872 )
- July 29 : Lovrenc Košir , Austrian civil servant († 1879 )
- July 30 : Abdón Calderón , Ecuadorian hero in the fight for independence against Spain († 1822 )
- August 2 : Wilhelm Schimper , German naturalist, traveler and botanist († 1878 )
- August 4 : Karl Friedrich Hermann , German classical philologist and ancient historian († 1855 )
- August 10 : Albert Immer , Reformed theologian († 1884 )
- August 10 : Marie-Alphonse Bedeau , French general († 1863 )
- August 10 : Wilhelm Nerenz , German painter († 1871 )
- August 25 : Gustav Bunsen , German surgeon and freedom fighter († 1836 )
- September 1 : Karl Herloßsohn , German writer and encyclopaedist († 1849 )
- September 1 : Ernst Julius Otto , German composer, choir director and Kreuzkantor († 1877 )
- September 5 : William Alexander Graham , American politician († 1875 )
- September 8 : Eduard Mörike , German poet and narrator († 1875 )
- September 9 : Carl Eduard Abendroth , Hamburg politician († 1885 )
- September 10 : Karl Rudolf Brommy , German naval officer and admiral († 1860 )
- September 14 : John Gould , British ornithologist († 1881 )
- September 18 : Anders Oldberg , Swedish educator and author († 1867 )
- October 1 : William Stokes , Irish internist († 1878 )
- October 3 : Allan Kardec , founder of Spiritism († 1869 )
- October 4 : Gustavus Adolphus Henry , American politician († 1880 )
- October 10 : Charles Spackman Barker , English organ builder († 1879 )
- October 10 : Albín Mašek , Czech composer († 1878 )
- October 15 : Wilhelm von Kaulbach , painter († 1874 )
- October 18 : Charles-Alexandre Fessy , French organist and composer († 1856 )
- October 18 : Ludwig von Rönne , lawyer, publicist and constitutional law teacher († 1891 )
- October 18 : Mongkut (Rama IV.), Siamese king († 1868 )
- October 24 : Luisa Carlota of Naples-Sicily , Infanta of Spain († 1844 )
- October 24 : Wilhelm Eduard Weber , German physicist († 1891 )
- October 28 : Pierre-François Verhulst , Belgian mathematician († 1849 )
- October 29 : Friedrich Hetzel , German banker († 1886 )
- October 30 : Charles II , Duke of Brunswick († 1873 )
- November 2 : Adolphe Le Flô , French general and politician († 1887 )
- November 5 : Carl Leverkus , successful chemical entrepreneur († 1889 )
- November 6 : Nuno José Severo de Mendonça Rolim de Moura Barreto , Portuguese politician († 1875 )
- November 10 : John S. Robinson , American politician († 1860 )
- November 12 : Julius Wilhelm Gintl , Austrian physicist and engineer († 1883 )
- November 12 : Hans Heinrich Ryffel , Swiss entrepreneur and politician († 1880 )
- November 13 : Theophilus H. Holmes , Lieutenant General of the Confederate States Army († 1880 )
- November 14 : Heinrich Dorn , German Romantic composer († 1892 )
- November 15 : Eugenio Aguilar Gonzalez Batres , head of state of El Salvador († 1879 )
- November 17 : Alfonso La Marmora , Italian General and Prime Minister († 1878 )
- November 18 : Karl Weigand , German specialist in German († 1878 )
- November 19 : Alexander Mouton , American politician († 1885 )
- November 20 : Friedrich Paschen , German geodesist and astronomer († 1873 )
- November 21 : Wilhelm Waiblinger , German poet and writer († 1830 )
- November 23 : Franklin Pierce , American politician, 14th President of the USA († 1869 )
- November 26 : William John Codrington , British General, Governor General of Gibraltar († 1884 )
- November 27 : Julius Benedict , British composer and conductor of German origin († 1885 )
- December 4 : August Heinrich Andreae , German architect, city architect, painter and etcher († 1846 )
- December 4 : Joseph Aub , German reform rabbi († 1880 )
- December 4 : Gustave Lannes de Montebello , French general († 1875 )
- December 5 : Christian Hengst , master builder in Durlach († 1883 )
- December 6 : Wilhelmine Schröder-Devrient , German opera singer (soprano) († 1860 )
- December 10 : Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi , German mathematician († 1851 )
- December 10 : Eugène Sue , French writer († 1857 )
- December 11 : William Pitt Adams , British diplomat († 1852 )
- December 13 : Joseph Howe , Canadian politician and journalist († 1873 )
- December 15 : Ernst Rietschel , German sculptor of late classicism († 1861 )
- December 15 : Wiktor Bunjakowski , Russian mathematician († 1889 )
- December 18 : Julius Ambrosch , German classical philologist († 1856 )
- December 21 : Benjamin Disraeli , British novelist and Prime Minister († 1881 )
- December 22nd : Georg Adolf Demmler , architect († 1886 )
- December 23 : Charles-Augustin Sainte-Beuve , French writer († 1869 )
- December 25 : George Ashmun , American politician († 1870 )
- December 30th : Carl Adam Kaltenbrunner , Austrian writer († 1867 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Hermann Biow , German photographer († 1850 )
- Manuel Montes de Oca , Spanish military and politician († 1841 )
- Osceola , Indian chief († 1838 )
- Robert Wittmann , German cellist and composer († after 1891)
First half of the year
- January 4th : Charlotte Lennox , English writer, poet and translator (* 1730 )
- January 7th : Louis-Marie de Noailles , French general and businessman (* 1756 )
- January 21 : Ernst Gottfried Baldinger , German medic (* 1738 )
- January 26 : José Nicolás de Azara , Spanish politician, diplomat and patron of the arts (* 1730 )
- February 2 : George Walton , American politician (* 1741 )
- February 5 : Christian Joseph Jagemann , German councilor and librarian (* 1735 )
- February 12 : Immanuel Kant , German philosopher (* 1724 )
- February 22nd : Joseph Benda , Bohemian-German musician (* 1724 )
- March 3 : Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo , Italian Baroque painter (* 1727 )
- March 21 : Louis Antoine Henri de Condé , Duke of Enghien (* 1772 )
- March 26th : Wolfgang von Kempelen , Austrian writer and inventor (* 1734 )
- March 30th : Ivan Chandoschkin , Russian composer (* 1747 )
- April 3 : Jędrzej Kitowicz , Polish clergyman and historian (* 1728 )
- April 5 : Jean-Charles Pichegru , French general of the Revolutionary Wars (* 1761 )
- April 9 : Jacques Necker , Swiss banker and finance minister under Louis XVI. (* 1732 )
- April 11th : Joaquín del Pino Sánchez de Rojas , Spanish governor of Montevideo, governor of Chile and viceroy of the Río de la Plata (* 1729 )
- April 15 : Dominik Auliczek , Bohemian sculptor (* 1734 )
- April 20 : Ernst II , duke and scientist (* 1745 )
- April 25 : Hans Jakob Willi , leader of the rebels in the buck war 1804 (* 1772 )
- May 4th : Antonio José Cavanilles , Spanish botanist (* 1745 )
- May 5 : Johann Christoph Martini , German Protestant clergyman and church historian (* 1732 )
- May 7th : Johann Georg Schulthess , Swiss clergyman (* 1724 )
- May 28 : Castolus Reichlin von Meldegg , last prince abbot of Kempten (* 1743 )
- May 30 : Ralph Izard , American politician (* 1741 or 1742 )
- June 4 : Johann Friedrich Ackermann , German physician and university professor (* 1726 )
- June 16 : Johann Adam Hiller , German composer, music writer and Kapellmeister (* 1728 )
- June 23 : Heinrich Leopold von Seherr-Thoß , German landowner (* 1734 )
- June 25 : Georges Cadoudal , French general (* 1771 )
Second half of the year
- July 5 : Jacob Baden , Danish classical philologist (* 1735 )
- July 7 : Christian Just Wiedeburg , German lawyer and government official of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach (* 1727 )
- July 10th : Marianne von der Leyen , regent in Blieskastel from 1775 to 1793 (* 1745 )
- July 12 : Alexander Hamilton , American politician (* 1757 or 1755 )
- July 12 : Johann Engelhard Kahler , German Protestant theologian (* 1729 )
- July 17th : Christian Ernst Graf , German composer (* 1723 )
- July 24th : Martin Knoller , fresco painter in southern Germany and Austria (* 1725 )
- July 30th : Carlo Allioni , Italian doctor and botanist (* 1728 )
- August 2nd : Johann Andreas Tafinger , German educator and Protestant theologian (* 1728 )
- August 3 : Christoph Andreae , German entrepreneur (* 1735 )
- August 19 : Albert Androt , French composer (* 1781 )
- August 19 : Barthélemy-Louis-Joseph Schérer , French general (* 1747 )
- August 20 : Charles Floyd , American explorer (* 1782 )
- August 24 : Josef Valentin Adamberger , German opera singer (* 1743 )
- October 5 : John Hoskins Stone , American politician (* 1750 )
- October 14 : Samuel John Potter , American politician (* 1753 )
- October 19 : Leopold Westen , German officer and university professor (* 1750 )
- October 29 : Sebastian Friedrich Trescho , German Protestant theologian (* 1733 )
- November 1 : Johann Friedrich Gmelin , German botanist, zoologist and chemist (* 1748 )
- November 2nd : Georg Christian Adler , German preacher, author and archaeologist (* 1724 )
- November 23 : Giovanni Giornovichi , Croatian-Italian violin virtuoso and composer (* 1747 )
- November 18 : Philip Schuyler , American general, Senator of New York (* 1733 )
- November 19 : Pietro Alessandro Guglielmi , Italian composer (* 1728 )
- November 20 : Sultan ibn Ahmad , Sayyid of Muscat
- December 1 : Friedrich Ludwig Aster , Electoral Saxon officer (* 1732 )
- December 7th : Johann Tobias Lowitz , German-Russian chemist and pharmacist (* 1757 )
- December 9th : Leopold von Apfaltern , Jesuit and mathematician (* 1731 )
- December 16 : Christian Felix Weisse , German writer and educator (* 1726 )
- December 24th : Martin Vahl , Norwegian botanist and student of Linnaeus (* 1749 )