Calendar overview 1837
William IV , 18-year-old Victoria becomes Queen of
Great Britain and Ireland .
put their protest against the withdrawal of the liberal constitution by King Ernst August I of Hanover on paper and are therefore dismissed.
|economic crisis of 1837 is one of the worst economic crises in United States history .|
|1837 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1285/86 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1829/30 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1242/43 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2380/81 (southern Buddhism); 2379/80 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1199/1200 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4170/71 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1252/1253 (turn of the year April 6/7)|
|Jewish calendar||5597/98 (September 29/30)|
|Coptic calendar||1553/54 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2147/48 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2148/49 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1893/94 (April)|
Politics and world events
Great Britain and Hanover
- June 20 : With the death of her uncle, the British King Wilhelm IV. , Queen Victoria takes over this state office. At the same time, the 123-year personal union with the Kingdom of Hanover , which will be ruled by Ernst August I , ends . This suspended the constitutional law of 1833 and thus conjured up the Hanoverian constitutional conflict.
- July 13 : With the arrival of Queen Victoria, Buckingham Palace officially becomes the future main residence of the British monarchs .
- November 18 : The professors' group of the Göttingen Seven submit their written protest against the withdrawal of the liberal constitution by their sovereign, King Ernst August I of Hanover .
- December 12th : King Ernst August I of Hanover dismisses the Göttingen Seven. He accuses the professors of treason.
Further events in the German Confederation
- April 25 : In the second chamber of the Baden Estates Assembly , the MP Franz Joseph Buß first denounced social problems caused by industrialization in a German parliament . In his factory speech , he also called for auxiliary funds for sick people and work accident victims fed from employer contributions, notice periods, a maximum of 14 hours of working time, restriction of child labor, factory supervision and professional training for workers. His application will not be pursued.
Other events in Europe
- June 18 : Regent Maria Christina proclaims the Spanish Constitution of 1837 .
- July: Conservative troops from the camp of Cartista company with the support of Queen Maria II. A coup attempt against the government of the liberal Setembristen in Portugal . The uprising of the marshals was put down by Bernardo de Sá Nogueira de Figueiredo until October 7th . The rebellious dukes António José de Sousa Manoel de Menezes Severim de Noronha , Pedro de Sousa Holstein and João Carlos de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun have to leave the Kingdom of Portugal and go into exile.
- January 17 : Under pressure from the United States , the Choctaw and Chickasaw peoples sign the Treaty of Doaksville . This allowed the Chickasaw to settle in the Choctaw settlement area in the southwest of the Indian territory in what is now Oklahoma and to forego an independent tribal council.
- January 26 : The former Michigan Territory is incorporated into the United States as the 26th state under the name Michigan . The previous territorial capital Detroit will also be the capital of the new state.
- March 4 : The previous Vice President Martin Van Buren succeeds Andrew Jackson as President of the United States . Richard Mentor Johnson is lauded as his vice president .
- June 5 : Houston becomes the provisional capital of the Republic of Texas , but loses that status two years later.
- October: Second Black Hawk purchase
- In the Morrison incident , the American merchant ship Morrison was shot at and prevented from entering the port of Kagoshima on the basis of the edict to expel foreign ships from 1825 as part of the Japanese isolation policy . After it became known that the Morrison had attempted to bring shipwrecked Japanese back to Japan , the edict was criticized.
- May 10 : The refusal of New York banks to exchange paper money for gold and silver coins leads to the speculatively influenced economic crisis of 1837 in the USA .
- With the Munich Coin Treaty , the South German Coin Association is founded.
- May 17 : The printer and publisher Arunah Shepherdson Abell founded the American newspaper The Baltimore Sun .
- May 24th : The Belgian company Vieille Montagne for zinc extraction and processing is founded.
- September 18 : In New York City found Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young, a jewelery company from which the company Tiffany & Co. is evident. The first store is on Broadway 259 and none of the jewelry prices are negotiable, a revolutionary concept at the time.
- Master miller Heinrich Plank founds the Planksche Brewery near Vienna , today's Ottakringer Brewery .
- The company Procter & Gamble (P & G) in the US by William Procter , a candle makers from England, and James Gamble founded a soap maker from Ireland.
- Thomas Cooke founds an optician company .
- April 24th : The first section of the Leipzig – Dresden railway line from Leipzig to Althen , built by the Leipzig-Dresden Railway Company , goes into operation. The extended line to Gerichshain will open on November 12th . It will take another two years for Germany's first long-distance rail link to be finally completed .
- July 4 : The railway companies Grand Junction Railway takes in England to train operation with steam locomotives on one of the first long-distance routes, Birmingham - Warrington on. It continues there with a change to Liverpool .
- July 20 : Euston station in London opens as the terminus of the London and Birmingham Railway built by Robert Stephenson .
- August 26th : A new chapter in the history of the railways begins in France : the first travelers are transported on a steam-powered railway line between Paris and Saint-Germain-en-Laye .
- September: The city of Lucerne is running on the first steamship of the shipping company of Lake Lucerne to Lucerne . The maiden voyage takes three hours from Lucerne to Flüelen .
- October 11 : In Sweden, the Säffle Canal, which enables more than 91 km of inland navigation , is inaugurated by King Charles XIV. Johann .
- November 19 : Rail traffic arrives in Cuba . The railway line established between Havana and Bejucal is the first to go into operation in Latin America.
- November 23 : The railway age in Austria begins with the journey of invited guests on the Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn route between Floridsdorf and Deutsch-Wagram , on which the first railway bridge over the Danube is located.
science and technology
- Joseph Gerhard Zuccarini publishes the first description of the genus Echinopsis as part of the cactus family .
Teaching and Research
- July 24th : While testing a parachute he had developed , Briton Robert Cocking had a fatal accident in front of a large crowd near Greenwich. He is the first to die when parachuting. The failed attempt reduced further interest in this technology over several decades.
- July 25 : British William Fothergill Cooke and Charles Wheatstone demonstrate the electric telegraph they invented using a telegraph line along the Euston - Camden Town rail link .
- August 31 : Ralph Waldo Emerson gives speech to The American Scholar .
- The first volume of Maximilian zu Wied-Neuwied's Journey into Inner North America from 1832 to 1834 appears with illustrations by Karl Bodmer .
- February 2 : As part of the Vatican Museums , Pope Gregory XVI. the Gregorian-Etruscan Museum founded.
- April 7 : The fairy tale The Princess and the Pea , The Emperor's New Clothes and others of Hans Christian Andersen published in an issue of series Eventyr continued old for Børn ( tale told for children ) in Denmark.
- November 10th : The first German edition of the Journey into Inner North America in the years 1832 to 1834 by Maximilian zu Wied-Neuwied appears with illustrations by Karl Bodmer .
- Nathaniel Hawthorne publishes Twice-Told Tales , a collection of several previously anonymously published stories.
- The late romantic poem Mondnacht by Joseph von Eichendorff is published for the first time.
- Hoffmann von Fallersleben published the poem All Birds Are Already There from 1835 .
Music and theater
- January 17th : The Posse An apartment is for rent in the city of Johann Nestroy with music by Adolf Müller senior is premiered at the Theater an der Wien near Vienna and mercilessly fails the audience and criticism.
- February 20 : The premiere of the comic opera Die Zwei Schützen by Albert Lortzing takes place at the Stadttheater in Leipzig . Based on the literary model Les Méprises par ressemblance by André-Ernest-Modeste Grétry, the play is a great success and encourages Lortzing to compose further works for music theater.
- March 9 : The second version of Conradin Kreutzer's romantic opera Das Nachtlager in Granada based on the play of the same name by Johann Friedrich Kind is premiered at the Kärntnertortheater in Vienna . Compared to the first version from 1834, the spoken dialogues have been replaced by recitatives .
- March 10 : The opera Il giuramento by Saverio Mercadante premieres at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan. The libretto is by Gaetano Rossi based on the tragedy Angelo, tyran de Padoue by Victor Hugo .
- April 6th : The first performance of the romantic opera Die Höhle bei Waverley by Conradin Kreutzer takes place at the Josephstädter Theater in Vienna.
- May 27 : The opera Lady Catherine Gray by Michael William Balfe is at Theater Royal Drury Lane premiered in London.
- November 6th : The opera Caractacus by Michael William Balfe is premiered at the Theater Royal Drury Lane in London.
- December 2 : The opera Le domino noir ( The black domino ) by Daniel-François-Esprit Auber is premiered at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- December 16 : The world premiere of the romantic opera Der Gang zum Eisenhammer by Conradin Kreutzer takes place at the Theater am Kärntnertor in Vienna.
- December 22nd : The comic opera Zar und Zimmermann by Albert Lortzing is premiered at the City Theater in Leipzig . Lortzing wrote the bass buffo part of Van Bett especially for Gotthelf Leberecht Berthold , whom he particularly admired .
- January 21 : Emperor Ferdinand I decreed that supporters of the Augsburg Confession must leave the Zillertal . In September of that year, the Zillertal inclinants follow the order and set off for the Giant Mountains .
- March 1st : The merging of two Catholic congregations in France results in the Congregation of the Holy Cross , which later spreads over the earth.
- May 27th : In the encyclical Summo iugiter studio , Pope Gregory XVI. interferes with mixed marriages and insists on bringing up the children from this in the Catholic faith .
- November 20 : Archbishop of Cologne, Clemens August Droste zu Vischering , is arrested in a dispute with Prussia over the acceptance of mixed marriages .
- August 11 : The Suffolk , Virginia, US rail accident marks the first fatal head-on collision between two trains in railroad history .
- December 29th : The Winter Palace in Saint Petersburg , a residence of the Tsar, burns out completely. The fire lasts 30 hours.
- January 1 : Enrico Nencioni , Italian poet and literary critic († 1896 )
- January 2 : Mili Alexejewitsch Balakirew , Russian composer, pianist and conductor († 1910 )
- January 11th : Adolf Ledebur , German metallurgist († 1906 )
- January 12 : Adolf Jensen , German composer († 1879 )
- January 12 : Fritz Kalle , factory owner and social politician (National Liberal Party) († 1915 )
- January 17 : François Lenormant , French historian and archaeologist († 1883 )
- January 19 : Carl Hertelt , German painter and master carver († 1921 )
- January 22 : Thomas Clement Fletcher , American politician († 1899 )
- January 27 : Eduard von Hofmann , Austrian forensic doctor († 1897 )
- January 30 : Bernhard Schmidt , German classical philologist († 1917 )
- February 1 : Gustave García , Italian opera singer (baritone) and singing teacher († 1925 )
- February 2 : Max Zenger , German composer († 1911 )
- February 5 : Konstantin Konstantinowitsch Arsenjew , Russian journalist, literary scholar and encyclopaedist († 1919 )
- February 5 : Dwight Lyman Moody , American revival preacher († 1899 )
- February 7 : Emilio Wilhelm Ramsøe , Danish composer and conductor († 1895 )
- February 10 : Harrison Gray Otis , American publisher († 1917 )
- February 12 : Thomas Moran , British-American painter from the Hudson River School († 1926 )
- February 14 : Josef Durm , German architect († 1919 )
- February 15 : Wilhelm Jensen , German writer († 1911 )
- February 15 : Adolph Kießling , German classical philologist († 1893 )
- February 17 : Wilhelm Asmus , German writer († 1902 )
- February 21 : Rosalía de Castro , Spanish (Galician) poet († 1885 )
- February 23 : Paul André , Swiss politician († 1896 )
- February 28 : Ernst Christian Carl Kruse , German doctor and politician († 1900 )
- March 1 : Georg Ebers , German Egyptologist and writer († 1898 )
- March 3 : Guglielmo Calderini , Italian architect († 1916 )
- March 3 : Jacques Charles René Duchesne , French general († 1918 )
- March 7th : Henry Draper , American physiologist and astronomer († 1882 )
- March 12 : Alexandre Guilmant , French organist and composer († 1911 )
- March 17 : Horace Parnell Tuttle , American astronomer († 1923 )
- March 18 : Grover Cleveland , American politician, 22nd and 24th President of the USA († 1908 )
- March 19 : Eugen von Lommel , German physicist († 1899 )
- March 21 : Theodore Nicholas Gill , American ichthyologist († 1914 )
- March 24th : George Henry Mackenzie , British-American chess master († 1891 )
- March 27 : Carl Aubel , German engineer († 1882 )
- March 28 : Wilhelm Kühne , German physiologist († 1900 )
- April 1 : Jorge Isaacs , Colombian writer and liberal politician († 1895 )
- April 4 : Smith Newell Penfield , American composer († 1920 )
- April 5 : Algernon Charles Swinburne , British writer († 1909 )
- April 6 : Mary Ann Brown Patten , American navigator and sailor († 1861 )
- April 6 : Ignaz von Kolisch , Austro-Hungarian chess player († 1889 )
- April 7 : Anderson Abbott , Canadian physician († 1913 )
- April 7 : Emil Ludwig Schmidt , German anthropologist († 1906 )
- April 10 : Alfred Thompson Bricher , American landscape painter († 1908 )
- April 17 : John Pierpont Morgan , American entrepreneur and banker († 1913 )
- April 18 : Eleuterio Ramírez Molina , Chilean commander in the Battle of Tarapacá († 1879 )
- April 18 : Max Jähns , German officer and writer († 1900 )
- April 19 : Hugo Sholto Oskar Georg von Douglas , German writer, entrepreneur and politician († 1912 )
- April 20 : Louis Victor Antonio Artan de Saint-Martin , Dutch-Belgian painter († 1890 )
- April 20 : Hermann Hultzsch , German sculptor and university lecturer († 1905 )
- April 21 : Julius Geertz , German painter († 1902 )
- April 24 : Friedrich August von Holstein , German diplomat of the Empire († 1909 )
- April 24 : Louis Canivez , Belgian composer and conductor († 1911 )
- April 27 : Kurt Wachsmuth , German philologist († 1905 )
- April 29 : Georges Ernest Boulanger , French general († 1891 )
- April 29 : Hermann Tietz , German businessman, founder of a chain of department stores († 1907 )
- May 1 : Walter Hauser , Swiss politician († 1902 )
- May 5 : Carl Attenhofer , Swiss composer, conductor, singer, organist and university music director († 1914 )
- May 5 : Anna Maria Mozzoni , Italian writer and journalist († 1920 )
- May 6 : Lyman R. Casey , American politician († 1914 )
- May 7 : Karl Mauch , German African explorer († 1875 )
- May 8 : Albrecht of Prussia , regent of the Duchy of Braunschweig († 1906 )
- May 8 : Hugo Hanke , Berlin building contractor and member of the city council († 1897 )
- May 9 : Maria Mazzarello , co-founder of the Don Bosco sisters († 1881 )
- May 9 : Adam Opel , founder of the Opel company († 1895 )
- May 14 : George Shoobridge Carr , British mathematician († 1914 )
- May 16 : Walter Kyllmann , German architect († 1913 )
- May 23 : Anatole Mallet , Swiss engineer († 1919 )
- May 23 : Józef Wieniawski , Polish pianist and composer († 1912 )
- May 26 : Washington Augustus Roebling , American bridge engineer († 1926 )
- May 27 : Bill Hickok , American western hero († 1876 )
- May 28 : Samuel D. McEnery , American politician († 1910 )
- May 29 : Rudolf Bahn , German entrepreneur and politician († 1913 )
- May 29 : Luca Fumagalli , Italian pianist, composer and music teacher († 1908 )
- June 2 : Ferdinand Justi , German orientalist († 1907 )
- June 3 : Franz Bücheler , German classical philologist († 1908 )
- June 4 : Sigurd Friedrich Abel , German historian († 1873 )
- June 7 : Alois Hitler , kuk Austrian civil servant and father of Adolf Hitler († 1903 )
- June 8 : Moritz Heyne , German Germanist and lexicographer († 1906 )
- June 9 : Michael Rua , Italian superior general of the Salesians Don Bosco († 1910 )
- June 14 : Bruno Casimir Albert Emil Ferdinand Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen , Prince of Ysenburg-Büdingen († 1906 )
- June 16 : Ernst Laas , German educator and philosopher († 1885 )
- June 19 : Philipp Carl , German physicist († 1891 )
- June 21 : Wilhelm von Bezold , German physicist and meteorologist († 1907 )
- June 22nd : Ernst Ziller , German-Greek classical architect, building researcher and archaeologist († 1923 )
- June 22nd : Paul Bachmann , German mathematician († 1920 )
- June 22nd : Paul Morphy , American chess player († 1884 )
- June 23 : Ernst Friedel , German local politician and historian and local researcher († 1918 )
- June 23 : Ernest Guiraud , French composer († 1892 )
- June 27 : Alois Goldbacher , Austrian classical philologist († 1924 )
- July 4th : Émile Auguste Carolus-Duran , French painter († 1917 )
- July 6 : Władysław Żeleński , Polish composer († 1921 )
- July 7 : Rudolf Auspitz , Austrian industrialist, economist, politician and banker († 1906 )
- July 10 : Hōshō Kurō , Japanese Nō actor († 1917 )
- July 15 : Stephanie von Hohenzollern , Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Queen of Portugal († 1859 )
- July 17 : Wilhelm Lexis , German economist, national economist and statistician († 1914 )
- July 19 : Gustav Augspurg , German lawyer and politician († 1906 )
- July 22nd : Robert Giffen , British statistician and economist († 1910 )
- July 25 : Georg von Kopp , Bishop of Fulda and Prince-Bishop Breslau († 1914 )
- July 30 : Eugène Mage , French naval officer and traveler to Africa († 1869 )
- July 31 : William Clark Quantrill , partisan leader in the American Civil War († 1865 )
- August 1 : Philipp Karcher , German entrepreneur († 1894 )
- August 4 : Peter Dettweiler , German pulmonologist and the founder of the sanatorium system in Germany († 1904 )
- August 8 : Anton Matthias Schön , German entrepreneur, speculator, large landowner († 1922 )
- August 8 : Victor Sieg , French organist and composer († 1899 )
- August 9 : John Atherton , British explorer († 1913 )
- August 11 : Marie François Sadi Carnot , French statesman and politician († 1894 )
- August 14 : Johannes Trojan , German writer († 1915 )
- August 19 : Ferdinando Gianella , Swiss engineer, architect and politician († 1917 )
- August 19 : Heinrich Hansjakob , Baden pastor, politician and local writer († 1916 )
- August 22 : Karl August Fürchtegott Leberecht Arendt , German politician († 1910 )
- August 24th : Théodore Dubois , French composer († 1924 )
- August 24 : Adolf von Wilbrandt , German writer and director of the Burgtheater in Vienna († 1911 )
- August 25 : Jacob Maris , Dutch painter († 1899 )
- August 27 : Heinrich Urban , German composer, violinist and music teacher († 1901 )
- August 30 : Friedrich Ernst Aub , German doctor and politician († 1900 )
- August 31 : Frederick Walker Pitkin , American politician († 1886 )
- September 1 : Henry Brackenbury , British general and author († 1914 )
- September 3 : Carl Ludwig Friedrich Arnsperger , Baden ministerial official († 1907 )
- September 6 : Ernst Achtung , German businessman († 1874 )
- September 11th : Oskar von Bülow , German legal scholar, royal Saxon privy councilor († 1907 )
- September 12 : Ludwig IV , Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt († 1892 )
- September 16 : Peter V , King of Portugal († 1861 )
- September 17 : Louis Jordan , German farmer and politician († 1902 )
- September 20 : Paul von der Planitz , Saxon general and minister of war († 1902 )
- September 22nd : Ernst Hardt , pioneer of the Cologne horse-drawn railway († 1898 )
- September 22 : Annabelle Isabella Blunt , English baroness and founder of the stud († 1917 )
- September 23 : Thomas Grainger Stewart , British pathologist († 1900 )
- September 24 : Mark Hanna , American industrialist and politician († 1904 )
- September 27 : Johann Innerhofer , Austrian innkeeper and tourism pioneer († 1937 )
- September 29 : Michał Bałucki , Polish writer († 1901 )
- October 3 : Nicolás Avellaneda , Argentine President († 1885 )
- October 3 : Max Waechter , British businessman and philanthropist († 1924 )
- October 4 : Auguste-Réal Angers , Canadian politician and judge († 1919 )
- October 4 : Elizabeth Jane Gardner , American-French painter († 1922 )
- October 6 : Elard Hugo Meyer , German Indo-Europeanist († 1908 )
- October 8 : Anthony F. Ittner , American politician († 1931 )
- October 8 : Otto Winter-Hjelm , Norwegian composer, conductor, organist, music critic and teacher († 1931 )
- October 10 : Robert Gould Shaw , American officer († 1863 )
- October 12 : Preston B. Plumb , American politician († 1891 )
- October 15 : Leo Koenigsberger , German mathematician († 1921 )
- October 16 : Eduard Paulus , German archaeologist and art historian († 1907 )
- October 16 : Hiram A. Tuttle , American politician († 1911 )
- October 20 : Frederick Herbert Torrington , Canadian organist, conductor, composer and music teacher († 1917 )
- October 21 : Cäcilie von Brockdorff , German painter and editor († 1912 )
- October 22 : Benjamin Butterworth , American politician († 1898 )
- October 23 : Moritz Kaposi , Austro-Hungarian physician († 1902 )
- October 24 : Heinrich Christian Horn , German entrepreneur († 1899 )
- October 26 : Carl Koldewey , German polar explorer († 1908 )
- October 27 : Whitelaw Reid , American politician and diplomat († 1912 )
- October 27 : Ilia Chavchavadze , Georgian writer and politician († 1907 )
- October 28 : Tokugawa Yoshinobu , last Japanese Shogun († 1913 )
- October 30 : Otto zu Stolberg-Wernigerode , German politician of the imperial era († 1896 )
- November 3 : Max Adamo , German history painter and illustrator († 1901 )
- November 3 : Émile Auguste Zurlinden , French general and minister of war († 1929 )
- November 3 : Elihu Jackson , American politician († 1907 )
- November 5 : Arnold Janssen , German missionary and founder of the order († 1909 )
- November 5 : Lyman Enos Knapp , American politician († 1904 )
- November 8 : Albert Raney Anderson , American politician († 1898 )
- November 9th : Alfred Holmes , English violinist and composer († 1876 )
- November 11 : Oskar Appelius , German architect († 1904 )
- November 14 : Franz Klüsner , German Methodist preacher († 1916 )
- November 16 : Franz Overbeck , German theologian († 1905 )
- November 18 : Ferdinand Krukenfellner , Austro-Hungarian stonemason and sculptor († 1927 )
- November 22nd : Franklin MacVeagh , American politician († 1934 )
- November 23 : Johannes Diderik van der Waals , Dutch physicist († 1923 )
- November 25 : Carl Abel , German classical philologist, journalist and translator († 1906 )
- November 26 : John Alexander Reina Newlands , English chemist († 1898 )
- December 1 : Leonard Landois , German physiologist († 1902 )
- December 7th : Johann Nepomuk Graf Wilczek , Austrian polar explorer and art patron († 1922 )
- December 7 : Baker Creed Russell , British general († 1911 )
- December 9 : Émile Waldteufel , Alsatian musician and composer († 1915 )
- December 12 : John Richard Green , British priest, historian and geographer († 1883 )
- December 14 : Arthur Sturgis Hardy , Canadian politician († 1901 )
- December 15 : Ethelbert William Bullinger , co-designer of consistent dispensationalism († 1913 )
- December 15 : Harrison E. Havens , American politician († 1916 )
- December 17 : Robert N. Bodine , American politician († 1914 )
- December 20 : George Madison Adams , American politician († 1920 )
- December 20 : Anton Foerster , Slovenian composer († 1926 )
- December 22 : William H. Kitchin , American politician († 1901 )
- December 22nd : Valentin Pfeifer , German entrepreneur in the sugar and motor industry († 1909 )
- December 24th : Elisabeth , Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary born. Princess in Bavaria (Sisi) († 1898 )
- December 25 : Cosima Wagner , director of the Bayreuth Festival († 1930 )
- December 26 : Carl Heinrich Rappard , Swiss missionary († 1909 )
- December 26 : George Dewey , American admiral († 1917 )
- December 28 : Benjamin Johnson Lang , American organist, pianist, conductor and composer († 1909 )
- December 30th : Marie Lipsius , German music writer († 1927 )
- December 31 : Wilhelm Fleischmann , German agricultural scientist († 1920 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Manuel García de la Huerta Pérez , Chilean politician († 1889 )
- Sırapyon Manas , Armenian theater director, translator, writer and actor
- Josef Weikert , Bohemian church musician and composer († 1907 )
January to April
- January 3 : Félix Lepeletier , French politician (* 1767 )
- January 5 : Karl Ferdinand Friese , Prussian State Secretary and President of the Prussian Main Bank (* 1770 )
- January 7th : Franz Joseph Aloys Antony , German Catholic clergyman, church musician, pedagogue and author (* 1790 )
- January 9th : Karl Friedrich Gerhard Gruner , German businessman and politician (* 1768 )
- January 10 : Johannes Weitzel , German writer, publisher and librarian (* 1771 )
- January 11th : François Gérard , French painter (* 1770 )
- January 12th : Augustin Andreas Geyer , Catholic clergyman and fossil collector (* 1774 )
- January 13 : Gerhard Philipp Heinrich Norrmann , German lawyer and university professor (* 1753 )
- January 17th : Franz Paul Scholz , German clergyman, scientist and explorer (* 1772 )
- January 17th : Jakob Albrecht von Sienen , Senate Syndicate (* 1768)
- January 20 : Adam Afzelius , Swedish botanist (* 1750 )
- January 22nd : Don Juan Bautista Arriaza y Superviela , Spanish statesman and poet (* 1770 )
- January 22nd : Johann Christian Jakob Schneider , German medic (* 1767 )
- January 23 : John Field , Irish composer and pianist (* 1782 )
- January 23 : Georg Karl von Sutner , German civil servant (* 1763 )
- January 25 : Georg Wilhelm Sigismund Beigel , German diplomat, librarian, natural scientist and mathematician (* 1753 )
- January 30 : Gottfried Daniel Krummacher , German Reformed Protestant theologian (* 1774 )
- Francesco Maria Appendini , Italian philologist and historian (* 1768 ) January:
- February 1 : Friedrich Franz I , Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (* 1756 )
- February 2 : Georg Ludwig Hartig , German forest scientist (* 1764 )
- February 3 : Theophilus Friedrich Rothe , German lawyer (* 1785 )
- February 3 : Karl Söffner , Prussian lawyer (* 1773 )
- February 4 : John Latham , British physician, ornithologist, naturalist and author (* 1740 )
- February 7th : Friedrich Franz Wilhelm Brunswig , German veterinarian (* 1804 )
- February 7th : Gustav IV Adolf , Swedish King (* 1778 )
- February 10 : Alexander Pushkin , Russian author and poet (* 1799 )
- February 11 : Albrecht Anton Adolph Hofmann , German lawyer and civil servant (* 1758 )
- February 12 : Carl Traugott Kreyssig , German lawyer (* 1786 )
- February 12 : Ludwig Börne , German writer (* 1786 )
- February 12 : Edward Turner , English chemist (* 1798 )
- February 16 : Gottfried Reinhold Treviranus , German doctor and naturalist (* 1776 )
- February 17th : Johann Gottlieb Blümner , German civil servant (* 1763 )
- February 17 : Benjamin Ferdinand Herrmann , German Protestant clergyman (* 1757 )
- February 18 : Augusta von Goldstein , German writer (* 1764 )
- February 19 : Georg Büchner , German writer (* 1813 )
- February 19 : Thomas Burgess , English author and philosopher (* 1756 )
- February 20 : Ernst Häußler , German singer, composer and music teacher (* 1761 )
- February 20 : Thomas Kirker , American politician (* 1760 )
- February 20 : Franz Anton von Neveu , German forest master and landowner (* 1781 )
- February 22nd : Karl Christian Daniel Baurschmidt , German Protestant clergyman and educator (* 1762 )
- February 22nd : Adolf Friedrich von Scheve , German lawyer (* 1752 )
- February 23 : Friedrich Ludwig Weidig , German pastor and teacher (* 1791 )
- March 3 : Viktor Joseph Dewora , German Catholic clergyman and educator (* 1774 )
- March 4 : Karl Joseph Stegmann , German editor (* 1767 )
- March 6 : Johann Karl Sigmund Kiefhaber , German civil servant and historian (* 1762 )
- March 6 : Yuri Lisjanski , Russian naval officer and explorer (* 1773 )
- March 8 : Johann Bartholomäus Trommsdorff , German pharmacist (* 1770 )
- March 11 : Karl Friedrich Franciscus von Steinmetz , German lieutenant general and cartographer (* 1768 )
- March 12 : Franz Xaver Josef Ackermann , Baden lawyer and politician (* 1778 )
- March 19 : Christian Adam Dann , Protestant theologian and animal rights activist (* 1758 )
- March 19 : Otto Christian Friedrich Kuhfahl , German educator (* 1768 )
- March 22nd : Karl Gustav Himly , German ophthalmologist (* 1772 )
- March 22nd : Karl Christian von Mann called Tiechler , German lawyer and editor (* 1773 )
- March 25 : Johann Heinrich Christian Barby , German pedagogue and philologist (* 1765 )
- March 27th : Pierre Coudrin , French priest and founder of the order (* 1768 )
- March 28 : Benjamin Adams , American politician (* 1764 )
- March 31 : John Constable , British landscape painter (* 1776 )
- April 4 : Christian Ernst Stölzel , German painter, etcher and engraver (* 1792 )
- April 4 : Ōkubo Tadazane , daimyō of Odawara and Rōjū (* 1782 )
- April 8 : Benjamin Christoph Gimmerthal , German Protestant clergyman (* 1769 )
- April 8 : Gustav Ludwig Ferdinand Raabe , Saxon general of the artillery (* 1774 )
- April 9 : Domenico Quaglio , German architectural painter of the Romantic period (* 1787 )
- April 10 : Hans Ernst Bütemeister , German civil servant (* 1750 )
- April 12 : Abner Lacock , American politician (* 1770 )
- April 13 : Sebastian Scharnagel , German painter (* 1791 )
- April 17 : Joseph Anderson , American politician (* 1757 )
- April 17th : Emil Friedrich I. von Bentheim-Tecklenburg , sovereign over the county of Bentheim (* 1795 )
- April 19 : Jean Pierre Frédéric Ancillon , Prussian statesman (* 1767 )
- April 20 : Reinhard Woltman , German hydraulic engineer (* 1757 )
- April 21 : Michael von Erdelyi , Austrian veterinarian and university lecturer (* 1782 )
- April 22nd : David Brydie Mitchell , American politician (* 1766 )
- April 25 : Gottfried Konrad Hecht , German civil servant and botanist (* 1771 )
- April 27 : Heinrich Schmelka , German theater actor (* 1777 )
- April 28 : Wilhelm Schumacher , German writer and newspaper publisher (* 1800 )
- April 29 : Karl Wünsch , German lawyer (* 1793 )
- April 30 : Wilhelm Birett , German bookseller (* 1793)
May to August
- May 5th : Niccolò Antonio Zingarelli , Italian composer (* 1752 )
- May 6 : Jacob Christoph Rudolph Eckermann , German Protestant theologian and university lecturer (* 1754 )
- May 6 : Karl August von Schütz , German civil servant (* 1777 )
- May 8 : Robert Heriot Barclay , British naval officer (* 1786 )
- May 10 : Georg Karl Friedrich Emmrich , German Protestant clergyman and teacher (* 1773 )
- May 18 : Hans Christian Lyngbye , Danish pastor, botanist and editor (* 1782 )
- May 19 : Antonio Rolla , Italian violin virtuoso (* 1798 )
- May 24th : Wilhelm Dietrich Hermann Flebbe , German civil servant (* 1755 )
- May 25 : Carl Gottfried Theodor Chladenius , German lawyer and mayor (* 1759 )
- May 25 : Johann Andreas Matthias , German theologian and teacher (* 1761 )
- May 28 : Friedrich Carl August Rücker , German bookseller and publisher (* 1773 )
- May 30th : Johann Gottlieb Lehmann , German educator and philologist (* 1782 )
- June 2 : Aloys Wagner , German Catholic clergyman (* 1771 )
- June 3 : Rudolf Abraham von Schiferli , Swiss surgeon and professor (* 1775 )
- June 7th : Gotthilf August von Maltitz , German writer (* 1794 )
- June 9 : Theodor Gottlieb Carl Keyßner , German Protestant clergyman and educator (* 1757 )
- June 14 : Giacomo Leopardi , Italian poet (* 1798 )
- June 18 : Pietro Francesco Galleffi , Italian cardinal (* 1770 )
- June 18 : Carl Christian Horvath , German bookseller; Founder of the German Booksellers Association (* 1752 )
- June 20 : Giovanni Furno , Italian composer and music teacher (* 1748 )
- June 20 : William IV , King of Great Britain and Ireland and King of Hanover (* 1765 )
- June 21 : Justus Erich Walbaum , German typographer, type founder and stamp cutter (* 1768 )
- June 29th : Aloys Hirt , German archaeologist (* 1759 )
- June 29 : Nathaniel Macon , American politician (* 1757 )
- June 26 : Karl Christian Gmelin , German botanist and naturalist (* 1762 )
- July 7th : Georg Ludwig von Anns , German politician (* 1760 )
- July 9 : Job von Witzleben , Prussian Lieutenant General and Minister of War (* 1783 )
- July 18 : Ludwig Kasimir von Auer , German officer (* 1788 )
- July 19 : Agustín Eyzaguirre , Chilean President (* 1768 )
- July 25 : Rudolf Rebmann , Swiss farmer and politician (* 1759 )
- July 28 : Joseph Schubert , German violinist, violist and composer (* 1757 )
- August 3 : Pius August , Duke in Bavaria (* 1786 )
- August 6th : Johann Nepomuk Schelble , German conductor, singer and teacher (* 1789 )
- August 16 : William Daniell , British painter (* 1769 )
- August 16 : John Floyd , American politician (* 1783 )
- August 16 : Christian Ludwig Nitzsch , German biologist (* 1782 )
- August 29 : John Brown , American politician (* 1757 )
September to December
- September 2 : Franz Xaver Hackher zu Hart , Colonel of Genius and defender of the Graz Schlossberg (* 1764 )
- September 14th : Agathon Fain , secret secretary of Napoleon I (* 1778 )
- September 16 : Filippo Buonarroti , Italian-French politician and publicist (* 1761 )
- September 19 : Seerp Gratama , Dutch legal scholar (* 1757 )
- September 21 : Georg Ludolf Dissen , German classical philologist (* 1784 )
- September 25 : Isham Talbot , American politician (* 1773 )
- September 28 : David Barton , American politician (* 1783 )
- October 4 : Jean-François Varlet , French politician (* 1764 )
- October 4 : Isaac Wilbour , American politician (* 1763 )
- October 5th : Hortense de Beauharnais , Queen of Holland and mother of Emperor Napoleon III. (* 1783 )
- October 6 : Jean-François Lesueur , French church musician and composer (* 1760 )
- October 9 : Oliver H. Prince , American politician (* 1787 )
- October 10 : Charles Fourier , French social theorist (* 1772 )
- October 12 : Rosalie Wagner , German theater actress (* 1803 )
- October 16 : Archibald Austin , American politician (* 1772 )
- October 17th : Johann Nepomuk Hummel , Austrian composer and pianist (* 1778 )
- November 5 : Abraham Ascher , German rabbi (* 1794 )
- November 11th : George Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egremont , British peer and patron (* 1751 )
- November 19 : Carl Theodor Barth , German lawyer and democratic publicist (* 1805 )
- November 24th : Joseph Kent , American politician (* 1779 )
- November 30th : Andreas Florian Meilinger , German philosopher and Benedictine monk (* 1763 )
- December 6 : Friedrich August Ludwig von der Marwitz , Prussian general and politician (* 1777 )
- December 15 : Isaak Altmann , landscape gardener from Bremen (* 1777 )
- December 22nd : Lino Gallardo , Venezuelan composer (* 1773 )
- December 24th : Johann Christian Stark the Younger , German medic (* 1769 )
- December 25th : Alexandre Grimod de la Reynière , French teacher of culinary art and inventor of gastronomy criticism (* 1758 )
- December 25th : Karl Friedrich Reinhard , French diplomat, statesman and writer (* 1761 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Al-Hadjdj Muhammad al-Amîn al-Kânemî , Arab scholar (* 1776 )
- John Edwards , American politician (* 1748 )