Calendar overview 1847
|Zachary Taylor won the Battle of Buena Vista in the Mexican-American War .|
|Sonderbund War is the last military conflict on Swiss soil .|
|1847 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1295/96 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1839/40 (September 11-12)|
|Baha'i calendar||03/04 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1252/53 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2390/91 (southern Buddhism); 2389/90 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1209/10 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4180/81 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1263/64 (turn of the year 9/10 December)|
|Jewish calendar||5607/08 (September 10-11)|
|Coptic calendar||1563/64 (September 11-12)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1262/63 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2157/58 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2158/59 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1903/04 (April)|
Politics and world events
- February 23 : The Battle of Buena Vista in the Mexican-American War wins the US armed forces under General Zachary Taylor against the numerically larger Mexican troops commanded by Generalissimo Antonio López de Santa Anna .
- March 9 : US troops under General Winfield Scott penetrate near Veracruz with the largest amphibious landing operation by US forces in Mexico to date .
- September 14 : In the Mexican-American War, the troops of the United States under Winfield Scott occupy the capital Mexico City one day after the victorious Battle of Chapultepec .
Other events in America
- January 30th : The California city of Yerba Buena is renamed San Francisco .
- April 25th : The last survivors of the Donner Party , a trek of settlers with the goal of California , reach Sutter's Fort. Their disaster began in October of last year with a snow storm and, as a result, further adversities up to the depletion of the supplies they had carried, which forced them to cannibalism .
- July 24 : Mormons establish the city of Salt Lake City and their own territory on the Great Salt Lake .
- April 11 : In Berlin Palace is First United Diet with a speech by Frederick William IV. Opened.
- April 21 : In protest against excessively high food prices, visitors to the Berlin market trigger the so-called " Potato Revolution ", which is counted as part of the prehistory of the March Revolution .
- July 23 : The Prussian Jewish Law brings legal standardization and grants this population group freedom of movement and settlement .
- September 12 : In Offenburg , the “Demands of the people of Baden” are proclaimed at the Offenburg meeting in the Salmen restaurant. Among other things, fundamental and human rights such as freedom of the press are also called for
- October 10 : At the Heppenheim conference , the moderate liberals draft their political program for the unification of Germany.
- November 3 : The Sonderbund War , a religiously motivated civil war , breaks out in Switzerland .
- November 29 : In Switzerland , the Sonderbund war ends with the capitulation of the canton of Valais .
Other events in Europe
- June 29th : The so-called Gramido Convention ends in Portugal a civil war that has been smoldering since 1846 between liberal “ Setembrist ” and conservative “ Cartist ” forces, in which the conservatives won a victory only thanks to foreign troops.
- August 21 : King Oskar I of Sweden founded the Order of Saint Olav , today the highest order in Norway.
- November 29th to December 8th : Foundation of the League of Communists , in whose constitution Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels played a key role, in London
- July 26 : Independence from Liberia
- December 22nd : The Algerian rebel leader Abd el-Kader surrenders surrounded by the French army and is soon brought to France. In Algeria the situation for the colonial power has calmed down significantly.
- December 23 : France declares Algeria a colony.
- Algeria becomes a French province.
- September 21 : Two postage stamps are issued on the island of Mauritius , a British crown colony, the Red and Blue Mauritius .
- May 12 : The publishing house Ferdinand Schöningh is established in Paderborn by the bookseller of the same name .
- May 27 : The Hamburg-American Packetfahrt-Actien-Gesellschaft is founded, a forerunner of HAPAG-Lloyd AG .
- October 12 : Werner von Siemens founds the Telegraphen-Bauanstalt von Siemens & Halske in Berlin together with Johann Georg Halske .
- Jacob Christian Jacobsen opened in Copenhagen district of Vesterbro the Carlsberg Bryggerier Kjøbenhavn .
- June 19 : The American paddle steamer Washington is greeted with a gun salute in Bremerhaven . The Ocean Steam Navigation Company has opened to him the first regular mail steamship line between North America and continental Europe.
- August 7th : History of the Swiss railway : The first railway line located entirely in Switzerland , the " Spanish-Brötli-Bahn " between Zurich and Baden AG , is ceremoniously opened. Scheduled operations begin two days later.
- September 1st : The Görlitz – Dresden railway line is officially opened. Part of this route is the Lion Bridge near Radeberg .
- September 18 : The Weilburg shipping tunnel in the Duchy of Nassau is opened.
science and technology
- July 23 : In Berlin, Hermann von Helmholtz gives a lecture on the constancy of force and underpins the law of conservation of energy .
- November 12th : The Scottish doctor James Young Simpson publishes a paper in Edinburgh on the effects of chloroform that have been tested on himself . He then uses the anesthetic on the parturient .
Circumnavigations of the world
- May 14 : The British warship HMS Driver is the first steamship to return to Spithead from a circumnavigation of the world after completing military assignments .
- August 24th : The Danish corvette Galathea returns to Copenhagen after a two-year trip around the world.
Teaching and Research
- February 25 : The University of Iowa is established as the first college in the US state of Iowa .
- May 14 : The Austrian Academy of Sciences is founded in Vienna as the Imperial Academy of Sciences .
- Ludwig Richter paints his most famous painting Bridal Procession in Spring in oil on canvas .
- Foundation of the Architectural Association School of Architecture
- Adolph von Menzel paints the painting The Berlin-Potsdamer Bahn .
Music and theater
- February 4th : The world premiere of the opera buffa Il birraio di Preston ( The Brewer of Preston ) by Luigi Ricci on a libretto by Francesco Guidi takes place with success at the Teatro della Pergola in Florence.
- March 14th : Giuseppe Verdi's opera Macbeth has its world premiere at the Teatro della Pergola in Florence . The libretto by Francesco Maria Piave is based on the tragedy of the same name by William Shakespeare . The opera is enthusiastically received by the audience, while the critics react rather cautiously and criticize the lack of a love scene.
- July 22nd : Giuseppe Verdi's opera I masnadieri based on a libretto by Andrea Maffei based on the play Die Räuber by Friedrich Schiller will be premiered under the direction of the composer at the Royal Opera House on Haymarket in London. Here, too, the audience reacted enthusiastically, while the critics expressed reservations.
- September 11th : The catchy tune Oh! Susannah (I come from Alabama) by the composer Stephen Collins Foster will be performed for the first time in a saloon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania .
- November 25th : Martha or Der Markt zu Richmond , a romantic-comic opera in 4 acts by Friedrich von Flotow and Friedrich Wilhelm Riese , is premiered at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna.
- November 26th : Giuseppe Verdi's first French Grand opéra Jérusalem is premiered at the Académie Royale de Musique in Paris .
- December 10 : The Carltheater in Leopoldstadt near Vienna, built according to plans by architects August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll , is ceremoniously opened. The evening begins with a gala overture by the Stuttgart court conductor Peter Joseph von Lindpaintner , who is a friend of the theater director Carl Carl . The highlight of the event is the world premiere of the burlesque Die schlimmen Buben in the school of Johann Nestroy , with him in the lead role. Two thirds of the income goes to the poor .
- March 25th : Pope Pius IX. publishes the encyclical Praedecessores nostros .
- March 30th : In the Edict of Tolerance issued by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia , leaving the church is permitted.
- June 17th : Pope Pius IX. publishes the encyclical Ubi primum .
- September 19 : The Catholic Trinity Church projected by Carl Alexander Heideloff is inaugurated in Leipzig .
- March 23 : A major fire in Bucharest destroys around 2,000 houses. After a supra-regional relief operation, the city is being rebuilt as planned.
- April 4 : The Munich main station building burns down.
- May 24 : The railway accident on the Dee Bridge kills at least five people.
- November 22nd : On the paddle steamer Phoenix , overheated steam boilers set the wooden paneling on fire, which then goes up in flames and burns out five kilometers from Sheboygan on Lake Michigan . About 250 people die in one of the worst shipping accidents on the Great Lakes .
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
Historical maps and views
- January 1st : Franz Rezek , Austrian military bandmaster and composer († 1912 )
- January 2 : Julija Vsevolodovna Lermontova , Russian chemist and the first woman to receive a doctorate in chemistry († 1919 )
- January 2 : Hermann Riedel , German composer and conductor († 1913 )
- January 6 : Franz Wilhelm Dibelius , German Protestant theologian († 1924 )
- January 6 : Milovan Glišić , Serbian writer and translator († 1908 )
- January 9 : Antonio Vico , Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1929 )
- January 11 : Thomas C. Catchings , American politician († 1927 )
- January 16 : Kálmán Mikszáth , Hungarian writer († 1910 )
- January 17 : Nikolai Jegorowitsch Schukowski , Russian mathematician († 1921 )
- January 28 : Franziska Ellmenreich , German actress († 1931 )
- February 4 : Remus von Woyrsch , German Field Marshal General († 1920 )
- February 7 : Ernst Frank , German composer and conductor († 1889 )
- February 8 : Hermann Vöchting , German botanist († 1917 )
- February 11 : Thomas Alva Edison , American inventor († 1931 )
- February 12 : Philipp zu Eulenburg , German diplomat († 1921 )
- February 13 : Clelia Barbieri , Italian founder of the order († 1870 )
- February 13 : Erich Graf Kielmansegg , Austro-Hungarian politician († 1923 )
- February 15 : Robert Fuchs , Austrian composer († 1927 )
- February 16 : Karl Bücher , German economist († 1930 )
- February 16 : Carl von Horn , Bavarian Colonel General and Minister of War († 1923 )
- February 16 : Philipp Scharwenka , German composer and music teacher († 1917 )
- February 17 : Charles Webster Leadbeater , priest, theosophist and occultist († 1934 )
- February 17 : Mathilde Mallinger , Austrian opera singer (soprano) and vocal teacher († 1920 )
- February 17 : Paul Georg von Möllendorff , German linguist and diplomat († 1901 )
- February 17 : Otto Albert Blehr , Norwegian liberal politician († 1927 )
- February 22nd : Sophie , Bavarian princess, Duchess of Alençon-Orleans († 1897 )
- February 22nd : Thornton Chase , American author († 1912 )
- February 27 : Ellen Terry , English stage actress († 1928 )
- March 2 : Cayetano L. Arellano , Filipino lawyer († 1920 )
- March 2 : Max O'Rell , French author and journalist († 1903 )
- March 3 : Alexander Graham Bell , British speech therapist, inventor and large entrepreneur († 1922 )
- March 4 : Carl Josef Bayer , Austrian chemist († 1904 )
- March 4 : Domenico Ferrata , Cardinal Secretary of State († 1914 )
- March 6 : Cesare Arzelà , Italian mathematician († 1912 )
- March 6 : Johann Georg Hagen , Austrian Jesuit and astronomer († 1930 )
- March 7 : James Capehart , American politician († 1921 )
- March 8 : Carl von Bach , German professor and mechanical engineer († 1931 )
- March 8 : Hermann Winkelmann , German opera singer († 1912 )
- March 9 : Martin Marsick , Belgian violin virtuoso and teacher († 1924 )
- March 13 : Pietro Musone , Italian composer († 1879 )
- March 13 : Francis S. White , American politician († 1922 )
- March 18 : William O'Connell Bradley , American politician († 1914 )
- March 20 : Gavriil Musicescu , Romanian composer († 1903 )
- March 23 : Karl Heinisch , German painter († 1923 )
- March 27 : Otto Wallach , German chemist († 1931 )
- March 28 : Gyula Farkas , Hungarian physicist and mathematician († 1930 )
- March 29 : John D. Works , American politician († 1928 )
- March 31 : Hermann Volz , German sculptor († 1941 )
- April 2 : Warren Miller , American politician († 1920 )
- April 3 : Atterson W. Rucker , American politician († 1924 )
- April 7 : Jens Peter Jacobsen , Danish writer († 1885 )
- April 8 : Emil Kirdorf , German industrialist and protégé of Adolf Hitler († 1938 )
- April 8 : Karl Wittgenstein , German entrepreneur († 1913 )
- April 10 : Joseph Pulitzer , American journalist and editor († 1911 )
- April 13 : Karl Kloß , German trade unionist († 1908 )
- April 13 : Cornelis Pijnacker Hordijk , Governor General of the Dutch East Indies († 1908 )
- April 16 : August Bender , German chemist and entrepreneur († 1926 )
- April 19 : Ferdinand Fellner the Elder J. , Austrian architect († 1916 )
- April 19 : Eva Gonzalès , French impressionist painter († 1883 )
- April 20 : Ferdinand Rüegg , Bishop of St. Gallen († 1913 )
- April 24 : Otto Leixner von Grünberg , Austrian writer and literary historian († 1907 )
- April 26 : Hans Wilhelm Auer , Swiss architect († 1906 )
- April 29 : Carl Joachim Andersen , Danish flautist, conductor and composer († 1909 )
- April 30 : Johan Jacob Ahrenberg , Finnish-Swedish architect and writer († 1914 )
- April 30 : Joseph H. Earle , American politician († 1897 )
- May 7 : Archibald Philip Primrose , British statesman († 1929 )
- May 10 : Wilhelm Killing , German mathematician († 1923 )
- May 10 : May French Sheldon , American explorer and author († 1936 )
- May 11 : Godefroid Kurth , Belgian historian († 1916 )
- May 13 : Johannes Haarklou , Norwegian composer († 1925 )
- May 21 : Emerich Robert , Austro-Hungarian actor († 1899 )
- May 23 : Heinrich Kämchen , German writer († 1912 )
- May 24 : Wilhelm Haarmann , German chemist († 1931 )
- May 26 : John Green Brady , American politician († 1918 )
- May 26 : Edward R. Hays , American politician († 1896 )
- May 30 : Ottilie Baader , German women's rights activist and socialist († 1925 )
- June 8 : Heinrich Gassner , Lord Mayor of Mainz († 1905 )
- June 9 : Alajos Hauszmann , Austro-Hungarian architect († 1926 )
- June 9 : Charles P. Snyder , American politician († 1915 )
- June 11 : Millicent Garrett Fawcett , British suffragette († 1929 )
- June 12 : Friedrich von Payer , German politician († 1931 )
- June 13 : Eduard Gaston Pöttickh von Pettenegg , knight of the Teutonic Order and priest († 1918 )
- June 13 : John M. Pattison , American politician († 1906 )
- June 19 : Ernst Justus Haeberlin , German numismatist and lawyer († 1925 )
- June 20 : Gina Krog , Norwegian women's rights activist († 1916 )
- June 24 : Gaston Salvayre , French composer († 1916 )
- June 26 : Conrad Justus Bredenkamp , German theologian and university lecturer († 1904 )
- June 29 : Paul Flechsig , German psychiatrist and brain researcher († 1929 )
- July 1 : Heinrich Gelzer , Swiss classical philologist, ancient historian and Byzantinist († 1906 )
- July 3 : Max Bösenberg , German architect († 1918 )
- July 4th : Julius Lassen , Danish lawyer († 1923 )
- July 8 : Carl Bernhard von Ibell , lawyer and notary, Lord Mayor of Wiesbaden († 1924 )
- July 9 : Nikolai von Astudin , Russian landscape painter († 1925 )
- July 9 : Wong Fei Hung , Chinese doctor and martial artist († 1924 )
- July 10 : Henry A. Houston , American politician († 1925 )
- July 12 : Karl Heinrich Barth , German piano teacher and pianist († 1922 )
- July 14 : Gustav Eberlein , German sculptor, painter and writer († 1926 )
- July 20 : Max Liebermann , German painter († 1935 )
- July 24th : Margarete Steiff , entrepreneur and founder of the Steiff company (Steiff animals) († 1909 )
- July 25 : Paul Langerhans , German pathologist († 1888 )
- July 27 : Otto Perutz , German entrepreneur († 1922 )
- July 29 : Theophil Forchhammer , Swiss composer, church musician and organist († 1923 )
- July 29 : Thomas S. Martin , American politician († 1919 )
- August 3 : Emil Ferdinand Fehling , German politician († 1927 )
- August 3 : Jan de Louter , Dutch constitutional and international lawyer († 1932 )
- August 4th : Julius Bodenstein , German landscape painter († 1932 )
- August 4th : Ludwig Salvator , Archduke of Austria and Tuscany († 1915 )
- August 10 : Wilhelm Rein , German pedagogue and later exponent of Herbartianism († 1929 )
- August 12 : Raimund Grübl , Austrian lawyer and politician († 1898 )
- August 13 : Georg Friedrich Bihl , German architect († 1935 )
- August 14 : Robert Comtesse , Swiss politician († 1922 )
- August 20 : Bolesław Prus , Polish writer and publicist († 1912 )
- August 22 : John Forrest , Australian explorer and politician († 1918 )
- August 26 : August Amrhein , German clergyman († 1934 )
- August 28 : Nathan Fellows Dixon , American politician († 1897 )
- August 28 : Bellamy Storer , American diplomat and politician († 1922 )
- August 29 : Moritz von Egidy , German officer and moral philosopher († 1898 )
- August 30 : Ernst Julius Arnold , German politician († 1926 )
- September 2 : Heinrich Kielhorn , German pioneer of special education († 1934 )
- September 3 : James Hannington , British missionary and bishop († 1885 )
- September 5 : Jesse James , American gunslinger († 1882 )
- September 10 : Osee M. Hall , American politician († 1914 )
- September 10 : John R. Lynch , American politician († 1939 )
- September 15 : Friedrich von Schele , German officer and governor of German East Africa († 1904 )
- September 20 : Paul-Joseph Bodin , French civil engineer († 1926 )
- September 21 : Charles James Faulkner , American politician († 1929 )
- September 26 : Anna von Lieben , became known as Sigmund Freud's patient Cäcilie M. († 1900 )
- September 30 : Henry Augustus Buchtel , American politician († 1924 )
- September 30 : James Taliaferro , American politician († 1934 )
- October 2 : Paul von Hindenburg , German Field Marshal General, President of the Weimar Republic († 1934 )
- October 3 : Carl Friedrich Glasenapp , Russian State Councilor, Richard Wagner biographer († 1915 )
- October 4 : Agneta Matthes , Dutch entrepreneur († 1909 )
- October 6 : Adolf von Hildebrand , German sculptor († 1921 )
- October 7th : Emil Holub , Bohemian Africa explorer († 1902 )
- October 7 : Nathan Zuntz , German physician of the Jewish faith († 1920 )
- October 7 : Alexander Franken , German legal scholar († 1896 )
- October 16 : Maria Pia of Savoy , Italian princess and Portuguese queen († 1911 )
- October 17 : Chiquinha Gonzaga , Brazilian pianist and composer († 1935 )
- October 20 : Oscar Swahn , Swedish marksman and oldest Olympic champion († 1927 )
- October 20 : Kurt Bernhardi , German educator († 1892 )
- October 21 : Edvard Brandes , Danish cultural politician and writer († 1931 )
- October 21 : Giuseppe Giacosa , Italian poet, actor and librettist († 1906 )
- October 24 : John P. Buchanan , American politician, governor of Tennessee († 1930 )
- October 25 : Karl Alfred Lanz Swiss painter and sculptor († 1907 )
- October 26 : Haydn Keeton , English organist, music teacher and composer († 1921 )
- October 29 : Philipp Christian Theodor Conrad von Schubert , Prussian officer and member of the German Reichstag († 1924 )
- October 31 : Galileo Ferraris , Italian engineer and physicist († 1897 )
- November 1 : Emma Albani , Canadian singer († 1930 )
- November 1 : Karl Augustin , German auxiliary bishop († 1919 )
- November 1 : Hiệp Hòa , sixth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn dynasty († 1883 )
- November 2 : Georges Sorel , French engineer and social philosopher († 1922 )
- November 4 : Gustav Hirschfeld , German archaeologist († 1895 )
- November 6 : Lothar Meggendorfer , caricaturist and painter († 1925 )
- November 7th : Volkmar Otto Erdmann von Arnim , German naval officer († 1923 )
- November 7th : Karl Koehl , German doctor and prehistorian († 1929 )
- November 8 : George Armitstead , Russian engineer, entrepreneur and the fourth mayor of Riga († 1912 )
- November 8 : Bram Stoker , Irish writer († 1912 )
- November 8 : Carlo Alberto Castigliano , Italian builder, engineer and scientist († 1884 )
- November 8 : Jean Casimir-Périer , French President, Prime Minister († 1907 )
- November 11th : Marie Andree-Eysn , Austrian folklorist, botanist and collector († 1929 )
- November 14 : Ekaterina Michailovna Dolgorukaya , second wife of Tsar Alexander II of Russia († 1922 )
- November 15 : Albert Lang , German painter and graphic artist († 1933 )
- November 18 : Eliška Krásnohorská , Czech writer († 1926 )
- November 18 : Hermann von Tappeiner , Austrian physician and pharmacologist († 1927 )
- November 20 : Nelson B. McCormick , American politician († 1914 )
- November 24 : Alexander Edmund Batson Davie , Canadian politician († 1889 )
- November 25 : Philipp Biedert , German pediatrician and university professor († 1916 )
- November 26th : Dagmar of Denmark , as Marja Feodorovna wife of Tsar Alexander III. of Russia († 1928 )
- November 27 : Andreas Arzruni , Armenian mineralogist († 1898 )
- November 30th : August Klughardt , German composer and conductor († 1902 )
- December 1 : Christine Ladd-Franklin , American mathematician († 1930 )
- December 5 : Vinzenz Feckter , German photography pioneer and amateur photographer († 1916 )
- December 8th : Rudolf Krügener , entrepreneur in the photo industry († 1913 )
- December 8 : Carl Weitbrecht , German poet and literary historian († 1904 )
- December 9 : Johannes Leo von Mergel , German Benedictine Abbot and Bishop of Eichstätt († 1932 )
- December 10 : Adolph Woermann , German businessman, shipowner and politician († 1911 )
- December 13 : Carl de Ahna , German doctor and politician († 1906 )
- December 18 : Theodore Stark Wilkinson , American politician († 1921 )
- December 20 : Sape Talma , Dutch medic († 1918 )
- December 21 : John Rouse Merriott Chard , commanded the British forces at Rorke's Drift († 1897 )
- December 21 : Jakob Arnold von Salis , Swiss Reformed theologian, poet and historian († 1923 )
- December 23 : Anton Lux , Austrian artillery lieutenant and traveler to Africa († 1908 )
- December 23 : Pleasant Crump , last survivor who demonstrably fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War († 1951 )
- December 25 : William Anthony Shinkman , American chess problem composer († 1933 )
- December 27 : Albert Amlacher , German teacher, pastor and writer († 1939 )
- December 27 : Donato Maria Cardinal dell'Olio , Archbishop of Benevento († 1902 )
- December 30 : John Peter Altgeld , American politician († 1902 )
- December 30th : Paul Otto Apian-Bennewitz , German organist and teacher († 1892 )
- December 31 : Wilson S. Bissell , American politician († 1903 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Francesca Arundale , English Freemason and theosophist († 1924 )
- Sepahsalar Tonekaboni , Commander in Chief of the Iranian Armed Forces supporting the Constitutional Revolution and Prime Minister of Iran († 1926 )
- Jaroslaw de Zielinski , American pianist, organist, choir director, music teacher and composer († 1922 )
- Camillo Ehregott Zschille , German draftsman († 1910 )
Born around 1847
January to April
- January 12 : Isaac S. Pennybacker , American politician (* 1805 )
- January 13 : Samuel Simons , American politician (* 1792 )
- January 19 : Charles Bent , American politician (* 1799 )
- January 22nd : Hermann Fitting , German landowner and politician (* 1765 )
- January 27 : Jana Wynandina Gertrut d'Aubigny von Engelbrunner , German writer, singer and music teacher (* 1770 )
- February 3 : Ernst von Bernuth , German lawyer (* 1779 )
- February 11 : Johann Philipp von Ladenberg , honorary citizen of Berlin (* 1769 )
- February 15 : Germinal Pierre Dandelin , Belgian mathematician (* 1794 )
- March 4 : Toussaint von Charpentier , German geologist and entomologist (* 1779 )
- March 5 : Mathias Aberle , Austrian physician (* 1784 )
- March 9 : Mary Anning , British, is considered the first paleontologist (* 1799 )
- March 11th : Johnny Appleseed , American ecological pioneer (* 1774 )
- March 17th : Grandville , French draftsman, book illustrator and caricaturist (* 1803 )
- March 20 : Anne-Françoise-Hippolyte Boutet , better known as Mademoiselle Mars, French actress (* 1779 )
- March 30th : Friedrich Jacobs , German classical philologist (* 1764 )
- April 4 : Diederich Heinrich Schrader , German swimming master (* 1801 )
- April 6 : Elisha Phelps , American politician (* 1779 )
- April 9 : Jan Paweł Lelewel , Polish engineer officer, freedom fighter and architect (* 1796 )
- April 18 : Edward Douglas White , American politician (* 1795 )
- April 21 : Friedrich von Gärtner , German architect (* 1791 )
- April 23 : Erik Gustaf Geijer , Swedish romantic writer (* 1783 )
- April 27 : Henry Wellesley , English statesman and diplomat (* 1773 )
- April 29 : Tomás Manuel de Anchorena , Argentine lawyer and statesman (* 1783 )
- April 30th : Karl von Österreich-Teschen , Austrian Archduke and General (* 1771 )
May to August
- May 1 : Jesse Speight , American politician (* 1795 )
- May 14 : Fanny Hensel , German composer (* 1805 )
- May 15 : Daniel O'Connell , Irish freedom fighter (* 1775 )
- May 16 : Kaspar Ett , German organist and composer (* 1788 )
- May 23 : Heinrich Luden , German historian (* 1778 )
- May 23 : Friedrich Schmalz , German agricultural scientist (* 1781 )
- May 25 : Ludwig Aurbacher , German writer (* 1784 )
- May 29 : Emmanuel de Grouchy , French general, Marshal of France (* 1766 )
- May 31 : Thomas Chalmers , Scottish writer and founder of the Free Church of Scotland (* 1780 )
- June 11th : John Franklin , English captain and polar explorer (* 1786 )
- June 24th : Carlo Francesco Remonda , French general (* 1761 )
- July 1 : Georg Friedrich Kersting , German painter (* 1785 )
- July 3 : Johann Christian August Grohmann , German philosopher, psychologist and rhetorician (* 1769 )
- July 6 : Phineas White , American politician (* 1770 )
- July 12th : Franz Ignatz Cassian Hallaschka , Moravian naturalist, mathematician, physicist and astronomer (* 1780 )
- July 26 : Job Durfee , American politician (* 1790 )
- July 27 : Adam Karl Wilhelm Nikolaus Paul Eugen , Prince of Württemberg and officer (* 1792 )
- August 2 : Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Duncker , German lawyer (* 1804 )
- August 6th : Johann Christoph Arnold , Saxon publisher, bookseller and local politician (* 1763 )
- August 6 : Henry M. Ridgely , American politician (* 1779 )
- August 7th : Thomas Butler , American politician (* 1785 )
- August 7th : Johann Georg Rapp , German Pietist leader (* 1757 )
- August 9 : Wilhelm von Schütz , German poet (* 1776 )
- August 14 : John Mattocks , American politician (* 1777 )
- August 24th : Charles Théobald de Choiseul-Praslin , French nobleman (* 1805 )
September to December
- September 4th : František Vladislav Hek , Czech patriot, poet and publicist (* 1769 )
- September 13 : Charles Nicolas Oudinot , Marshal of France (* 1767 )
- September 14 : Meinrad Rahm , Swiss stenographer (* 1819 )
- September 16 : Grace Aguilar , English writer (* 1816 )
- September 18 : József Kopácsy , Hungarian Archbishop (* 1775 )
- September 29 : Anton Gottfried Claessen , auxiliary bishop in Cologne (* 1788 )
- October 1st : Gustav Vorherr , Architect, Royal Bavarian Building Councilor and Chairman of the Bavarian State Beautification Association (* 1778 )
- October 2 : Wasil Evstatiew Aprilow , Bulgarian doctor (* 1789 )
- October 13 : Leander van Eß , German Catholic theologian (* 1772 )
- October 22 : Henriette Herz , German writer (* 1764 )
- October 22nd : Sahle Selassie , Meridazmatch and Negus of Shoah (* 1795 )
- November 4 : Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy , German composer (* 1809 )
- November 4 : Thiệu Trị , third emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn dynasty (* 1807 )
- November 11th : Johann Friedrich Dieffenbach , German medic and surgeon (* 1792 )
- November 12th : Johann Gottfried Hoffmann , German statistician, political scientist and national economist (* 1765 )
- November 11th : Benjamin Swift , American politician (* 1781 )
- November 14 : Josef Jungmann , Czech philologist and poet (* 1773 )
- November 18 : Philemon Thomas , American politician (* 1763 )
- November 20 : Henry Francis Lyte , Scottish Anglican theologian and hymn poet (* 1793 )
- November 27 : James Ross , American politician (* 1762 )
- November 30th : Ludwig Wilhelm Neumann , honorary citizen of Berlin (* 1762 )
- December 11th : Thomas Barker , English painter (* 1767 )
- December 14 : Manuel José Arce y Fagoaga , first President of the Central American Federation (* 1787 )
- December 17th : Marie-Louise von Habsburg , wife of Napoleon I (* 1791 )
- December 18 : Timothy Pitkin , American politician (* 1766 )
- December 22nd : Engelbert Schue , German Catholic clergyman and university professor (* 1772 )
- December 24th : Edmund Tyrell Artis , British paleobotany and archeology pioneer (* 1789 )
- December 24th : Karl Gustav Brinckmann , Swedish diplomat and German poet (* 1764 )
- December 29th : William Crotch , English composer and organist (* 1775)
Exact date of death unknown
- Modibo Adama , African politician (* around 1786)
- Faustino Anderloni , Italian engraver (* 1766 )
- Louis-Philibert Brun d'Aubignosc , French count (* 1774 )
- Jeanne Labrosse , French balloonist and parachutist (* 1775 )