Calendar overview 1850
Prussian constitution of 1850
introduces three-class voting rights .
compromise of 1850, the US Congress passed
a more stringent
Fugitive Slave Law .
battle of Idstedt
claims more than six and a half thousand lives.
|1850 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1298/99 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1842/43 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||06/07 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1245/46 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2393/94 (southern Buddhism); 2392/93 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1212/13 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4183/84 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1228/29 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1266/67 (November 5th / 6th)|
|Jewish calendar||5610/11 (September 6-7)|
|Coptic calendar||1566/67 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1265/66 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2160/61 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2161/62 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1906/07 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 31 : The constitution imposed by Frederick William IV in Prussia provides for three-class suffrage , which gives wealthy people a voting advantage in the elections of members of parliament. At the same time, the constitution takes on many liberal positions for the first time on German soil, a large catalog of basic rights and the introduction of jury courts combined with the mandate to ensure legal security and control of the monarch.
- March 20 to April 29 : The Erfurt Union Parliament meets.
- July 2nd : The Peace of Berlin ends the Schleswig-Holstein War between the German Confederation and Denmark .
- July 24th / July 25th : The battle of Idstedt claims more than six and a half thousand lives: Denmark finally prevails in Schleswig and Holstein .
- September 11 : The Freienwalder arbitration award repeals the constitution of Mecklenburg-Schwerin . With this, the state constitutional comparison of inheritance of 1755 is reinstated and the separation of the Mecklenburg states ended.
- November 4th to 14th : The textile workers' strike in the Lennep district is called off after the military has deployed it due to its hopelessness.
- November 29th : Prussia and Austria close the Olomouc puncture . Prussia suffers severe diplomatic humiliation and has to renounce its union policy . (→ autumn crisis 1850 )
- December 3 : The Dresden Conferences begin.
Other events in Europe
- The two Croatian cities of Gradec and Kaptol are combined to form the city of Zagreb and connected to the lower city .
- September 2nd : The German emigrant and pharmacist Hermann Blumenau founds the town of Blumenau named after him in Brazil . The city developed into a center of German colonization in the country.
United States of America
- April 4 : The provisional government in Monterey grants Los Angeles town charter. LA has a population of 1,610 at this time.
- April 19 : In the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty , the USA and Great Britain agree that neither of them should have sole influence on a future canal connecting the Atlantic to the Pacific.
- July 9 : Following the death of Zachary Taylor , former Vice President Millard Fillmore is sworn in as the 13th President of the United States . Due to political differences, his assumption of office leads to the resignation of most of the Taylor ministers within a few weeks and months and thus to an almost complete replacement in the Fillmore cabinet .
- September 9th : California , part of a disorganized territory owned by the United States since the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of February 2, 1848 , becomes the 31st state in the United States as part of the 1850 compromise between slave-holding and non-slave-holding states . San José becomes the first capital, Peter Burnett the first governor of the new state. At the same time, the eastern parts of the territory ceded by Mexico become the Utah Territory and the New Mexico Territorycreated. The latter also receives the north-western parts of the state of Texas .
- September 18 : Under pressure from the southern states, the US Congress enacts a tightened Fugitive Slave Law , which forced the executive branch of the northern states to return runaway slaves to their owners in the southern states . This law arouses great opposition in the abolitionist movement.
- May 7th : The Swiss Federal Assembly enacts the first Federal Coin Act, according to which the franc , divided into 100 cents , becomes the single currency.
- June 1st : In the Austrian Empire, the first stamps become valid with the issue of the coat of arms .
- June 29th : The Sachsendreier is issued, the first postage stamp in the Kingdom of Saxony .
- December 1st : Postage stamps are introduced in the Kingdom of Hanover .
- March 18 : American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo .
- September 29th : Heinrich Salomon Hoffmann opens the starch factory near Salzuflen in Salzuflen on Kuhkamp , the construction of which he started in January.
- September 2nd : The Berlin Landwehr Canal is inaugurated. Neither the press nor the population take much notice of it because the technical structure is located far outside the city walls.
science and technology
- July 17th : William Cranch Bond and John Adams Whipple succeed in making the first daguerreotype of a star at the Harvard College Observatory . You are photographing Vega in the Lyre constellation .
- November 4 : The galaxies NGC 126 and NGC 127 are discovered by the astronomer William Parsons in the constellation Pisces .
- November 19 : William Parsons finds the galaxy NGC 318 in the constellation Pisces .
Teaching and Research
- February 28 : Brigham Young , the Mormon Prophet , founds the University of Deseret , the precursor to today's University of Utah in Salt Lake City .
- October 1 : The University of Sydney Act , the University of Sydney established.
- March 5 : The Britannia Bridge over Menai Strait , built by Robert Stephenson , opens. The railway bridge connects the island of Anglesey in the Irish Sea with Wales .
- May 27th : The chemist and enthusiastic amateur photographer Louis Désiré Blanquart-Evrard presents the albumin process for more detailed and cheaper photographs to the French Academy of Sciences .
- For the first time, a submarine cable is being laid from England to France.
- October 26th : In search of the missing Franklin expedition , the British explorer Robert John Le Mesurier McClure arrives from the east in the Viscount-Melville-Sound . He is therefore considered to be the discoverer of the Northwest Passage , which, however, is not navigable due to its icing. He has to cover the last section without a ship.
- Rudolf Clausius summarizes the thoughts of Julius Robert von Mayer and Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in the first two main tenets of thermodynamics .
- The Neolithic settlement of Skara Brae on the Scottish Orkney Islands is discovered.
- October 9 : At the Oktoberfest , the Bavarian Bavaria, designed by Ludwig Schwanthaler and cast by Ferdinand von Miller , will be unveiled in Munich. The hall of fame is not yet finished at this point.
- October 15 : King Maximilian II hands over the Siegestor , which was completed after ten years of construction, to the city of Munich.
- The exhibition of Gustave Courbet's painting A Burial in Ornans at the Paris Salon leads to a scandal because the picture violates the aesthetic rules of academic art . It is considered a major work of realism .
- Nathaniel Hawthorne publishes the novel The Scarlet Letter , which deals with puritanism from the perspective of romanticism .
- Alexandre Dumas the Elder publishes the novel The Black Tulip .
Music and theater
- June 25 : Genoveva , the only opera by Robert Schumann , is premiered in the Staatstheater Leipzig under the direction of the composer with Marianne Lüdeke in the title role.
- August 28 : The premiere of the opera Lohengrin by Richard Wagner takes place at the Grand Ducal Court Theater of Weimar under the direction of Franz Liszt .
- September 28 : Jenny Lind gives her first concert in the USA in New York City and triggers a storm of enthusiasm.
- November 19 : In Madrid, the opera Teatro Real opens with a performance of the opera The Favorite by Gaetano Donizetti in the presence of Queen Isabella II on the site of the former De los Caños del Peral opera house .
- December 28th : The comic opera La Dame de pique by Jacques Fromental Halévy with text by Eugène Scribe is premiered at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- By Louis Braille invented braille is in France officially introduced at schools for the blind.
- Atlanta Cemetery is dedicated in Atlanta , Georgia .
- September 29th : In the circumscription bull Universalis Ecclesiae , Pope Pius IX. the restoration of the structure of the Roman Catholic Church in the British Isles and Gibraltar.
- The Catholic Order of Mercy Brothers of Mary Help is founded.
- April 16 : Due to the resonance caused by the storm and 730 soldiers marching without step but compensating for the vibrations, the suspension bridge of Angers in France collapses . 226 people died in the resonance disaster.
- The earthquake Stele Forest from Xichang reported by an earthquake in the district of Liangshan in Sichuan .
- February 25 : The Wenlock Agricultural Reading Society decides to do something to improve the physical and mental health of its own population and founds The Olympian Class . The first games will take place on the Wenlocker Rennbahn on October 22nd and 23rd . It is a mix of athletics and traditional sports such as quoits (ring-throwing), football and cricket , but competitions such as wheelbarrow races are also held.
- September 13 : The 4,048 m high Piz Bernina is climbed for the first time by the mountaineering group consisting of Johann Coaz and Jon and Lorenz Ragut Tscharner.
- January 1 : John Barclay Armstrong , American police officer and Second Lieutenant († 1913 )
- January 1 : Per Hasselberg , own Karl Petter Åkesson, Swedish sculptor († 1894 )
- January 2 : Elisabeth Gnauck-Kühne , German women's rights activist († 1917 )
- January 4 : Paul d'Abrest , Bohemian writer († 1893 )
- January 5 : Gottlob Krause , German traveler to Africa († 1938 )
- January 6 : Eduard Bernstein , German theorist and politician († 1932 )
- January 6 : Xaver Scharwenka , Polish-Czech composer and pianist († 1924 )
- January 6 : Ladislav Stroupežnický , Czech dramaturge at the National Theater in Prague († 1892 )
- January 11 : Joseph Charles Arthur , American botanist († 1942 )
- January 11th : Philipp von Ferrary , philatelist, owner of the world's largest stamp collection († 1917 )
- January 14 : Pierre Loti , French naval officer and writer († 1923 )
- January 15 : Mihai Eminescu , Romanian poet († 1889 )
- January 15 : Sofja Kovalevskaya , Russian mathematician († 1891 )
- January 16 : Eduard Pelissier , German high school teacher and historian († 1931 )
- January 17th : Joaquim Arcoverde de Albuquerque Cavalcanti , Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro and Cardinal († 1930 )
- January 17th : Clemens von Podewils-Dürnitz , Bavarian politician († 1922 )
- January 17 : Alexander Sergejewitsch Taneyev , Russian composer († 1918 )
- January 18 : Seth Low , American educator and politician († 1916 )
- January 21 : Józef Ostrowski , Polish aristocrat, landowner and politician († 1923 )
- January 22 : Karl Litzmann , German infantry general in World War I († 1936 )
- January 24 : Giuseppe Mori , Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1934 )
- January 24th : Hermann Ebbinghaus , German psychologist († 1909 )
- January 25 : Paul Rowald , German architect († 1920 )
- January 27 : Marie Fillunger , Austrian singer († 1930 )
- January 27 : Edward John Smith , British captain of the "Titanic" († 1912 )
- January 28 : John Collier , British writer and painter († 1934 )
- January 29 : Ludwig Wolf , German doctor and anthropologist († 1889 )
- February 2 : Otto Seeck , German ancient historian († 1921 )
- February 3 : Bertha Freifrau von Arnswaldt , German Salonière († 1919 )
- February 4 : Karl Frohme , German politician († 1933 )
- February 8 : Kate Chopin , American writer († 1904 )
- February 8 : Fritz Schöll , German classical philologist († 1919 )
- February 8 : Jan van Leeuwen , Dutch Graecist († 1924 )
- February 11 : Louis Archinard , French general († 1932 )
- February 11 : Albert Hollenbach , German organ builder († 1904 )
- February 12 : William Morris Davis , American geologist, meteorologist and geographer († 1934 )
- February 13 : Emil Possehl , German businessman and patron († 1919 )
- February 15 : Ion Andreescu , Romanian painter († 1882 )
- February 15 : Albert B. Cummins , American politician († 1926 )
- February 17th : Alexander Mell , Austrian teacher for the blind († 1931 )
- February 20 : Wilhelm Braune , German Germanist († 1926 )
- February 22 : Fyodor Wassiljew , Russian painter († 1873 )
- February 23 : César Ritz , Swiss hotelier († 1918 )
- February 25 : Alexandre Georges , French organist, music teacher and composer († 1938 )
- February 25 : George Turner , American politician († 1932 )
- March 3 : Martin N. Johnson , American politician († 1909 )
- March 6 : Victoria Benedictsson , Swedish writer († 1888 )
- March 7 : Georg Ledebour , German politician († 1947 )
- March 7 : Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk , founder and first President of Czechoslovakia († 1937 )
- March 7th : Ernestine Wegner , German theater actress and singer († 1883 )
- March 8 : Carl Robert , German classical philologist and archaeologist († 1922 )
- March 10 : Spencer Gore , English tennis and cricket player († 1906 )
- March 11 : Sophie von Adelung , German writer and painter († 1927 )
- March 11 : Eduard Züblin , Italian civil engineer and entrepreneur; Pioneer of reinforced concrete († 1916 )
- March 12 : Clay M. Greene , American writer († 1933 )
- March 12 : Heinrich Reimann , German musicologist, organist and composer († 1906 )
- March 18 : Richard von Drasche-Wartinberg , Austrian Asian researcher, industrialist and painter († 1923 )
- March 21 : Richard von Hagn , German painter († 1933 )
- March 26 : Edward Bellamy , American SF author († 1898 )
- March 28 : Joseph Lafayette Rawlins , American politician († 1926 )
- April 1 : Hans von Pechmann , German chemist († 1902 )
- April 2 : Christoph Paul von Andreae , German industrialist and landowner († 1922 )
- April 5 : Max Meyer-Olbersleben , German composer († 1927 )
- April 5 : Anton Wunderer , Austrian horn player and composer († 1906 )
- April 7 : Robert de Bonnières , French writer († 1905 )
- April 7th : Max Ohnefalsch-Richter , German archaeologist († 1917 )
- April 9 : Hermann Zumpe , German conductor († 1903 )
- April 9 : Johan d'Aulnis de Bourouill , Dutch economist († 1930 )
- April 16 : Herbert Baxter Adams , American historian and university professor († 1901 )
- April 16 : Sidney Thomas , British metallurgist († 1885 )
- April 19 : Adolf Louis Theodor Richard von Schubert , Prussian officer († 1933)
- April 23 : Philippe Godet , Swiss writer († 1922 )
- April 24 : Johannes Schmidt , German classical philologist and epigraphist († 1894 )
- April 25 : Louise Adolpha Le Beau , German pianist and composer († 1927 )
- April 27 : Hans von Beseler , Prussian general and politician of the Wilhelmine era († 1921 )
- April 27 : Theophil spokesman , Swiss chief of the general staff († 1927 )
- April 30 : Richard Zeckwer , American composer († 1922 )
- May 1 : Arthur Wilhelm, Duke of Connaught , British Governor General of Canada († 1942 )
- May 3 : Hedwig Heyl , German women's rights activist († 1934 )
- May 4th : Emanuel Schiffers , Russian chess master († 1904 )
- May 10th : Thomas Lipton , British trader and creator of the tea brand "Lipton" († 1931 )
- May 12 : Robert Binswanger , Swiss psychiatrist († 1910 )
- May 12 : Henry Cabot Lodge , American politician († 1924 )
- May 14 : Alva Adams , American politician († 1922 )
- May 16 : Ida Baccini , Italian writer and journalist († 1911 )
- May 16 : Robert von Dobschütz , Prussian major general († 1927 )
- May 16 : Johann von Mikulicz , German surgeon and the founder of gastroscopy († 1905 )
- May 17 : Antonio Scontrino , Italian composer († 1922 )
- May 18 : Oliver Heaviside , British mathematician and physicist († 1925 )
- May 20 : Joseph Hayes Acklen , American politician († 1938 )
- May 20 : Johann Friedrich Bernd von Arnim , Prussian State and Agriculture Minister († 1939 )
- May 21 : Gustav Lindenthal , German bridge construction engineer († 1935 )
- May 22 : Johann Schrammel , Austrian composer and musician († 1893 )
- May 26 : Carl Klönne , German banker († 1915 )
- May 27 : Eduard Ausfeld , German archivist and historian († 1906 )
- May 27 : Ludvig Birkedal-Barfod , Danish organist and composer († 1937 )
- May 28 : Heinrich Ernemann , German entrepreneur († 1928 )
- May 30 : Anton Paul Heilmann , Austrian painter and illustrator († 1912 )
- June 1 : Theodor Arndt , German theologian († 1901 )
- June 1 : Sami Frashëri , Albanian man of letters († 1904 )
- June 2 : Friedrich August von Kaulbach , German painter († 1920 )
- June 5 : Pat Garrett , American Sheriff of Lincoln County († 1908 )
- June 6 : Hans Louis Karl Leberecht von Kotze , Prussian chamberlain and master of ceremonies at court († 1920 )
- June 6 : Ferdinand Braun , German physicist († 1918 )
- June 8 : Niklaus Gerber , Swiss chemist and inventor of acid butyrometry († 1914 )
- June 11 : Abraham Adler , German economist († 1922 )
- June 13 : Wilhelm Erman , German librarian († 1932 )
- June 15 : Ernst Schweninger , German physician, personal physician to Bismarck († 1924 )
- June 17 : Friedrich Wilhelm zu Ysenburg and Büdingen , German landlord († 1933 )
- June 18 : Richard Heuberger , Austrian composer († 1914 )
- June 19 : August Fournier , Austrian historian and politician († 1920 )
- June 22nd : Ignaz Goldziher , German orientalist († 1921 )
- June 23 : Lockwood de Forest , American interior designer and painter († 1932 )
- June 24th : Horatio Herbert Kitchener , British general and politician († 1916 )
- June 24th : Gustav Adolf Neuber , German medic and surgeon († 1932 )
- June 27 : Lafcadio Hearn , British writer († 1904 )
- June 29 : Jacob Adolf Hägg , Swedish composer († 1928 )
- July 6th : Emil Kränzlein , German factory owner and Privy Councilor of Commerce († 1936 )
- July 7 : William E. Mason , American politician († 1921 )
- July 12 : Newell Sanders , American politician († 1939 )
- July 12 : Otto Schoetensack , German anthropologist and prehistory († 1912 )
- July 16 : Carl Roman Abt , Swiss mechanical engineer, inventor and independent entrepreneur († 1933 )
- July 15 : Franziska Xaviera Cabrini , American saint († 1917 )
- July 19 : Ferdinand Schrey , German co-founder of shorthand († 1938 )
- July 21 : Alfred Eckbrecht von Dürckheim-Montmartin , German officer († 1912 )
- July 28 : Eduard Franz Adt , German manufacturer, mayor and politician († 1919 )
- July 31 : Robert Love Taylor , American politician († 1912 )
- August 5 : Guy de Maupassant , French writer and poet († 1893 )
- August 13 : Andrea Carlo Ferrari , Italian Archbishop of Milan and Cardinal († 1921 )
- August 14 : WW Rouse Ball , English mathematician and mathematician († 1925 )
- August 18 : Vincenzo Appiani , Italian composer, pianist and music teacher († 1932 )
- August 18 : Werner Genest , German engineer and entrepreneur († 1920 )
- August 18 : Otto Bauer , politician, mayor of several cities († 1916 )
- August 20 : Percy Shelley Anneke , American entrepreneur († 1928 )
- August 26 : Charles Richet , French physician and Nobel Prize winner († 1935 )
- August 27 : Augusto Righi , Italian physicist († 1920 )
- August 28 : Émile Amélineau , French Egyptologist and Coptologist († 1915 )
- August 28 : WAB Coolidge , British theologian, publicist and mountaineer († 1926 )
- August 28 : Carl Fürstenberg , German banker († 1933 )
- August 30 : Eugène Burnand , Swiss painter († 1921 )
- August 30 : Karl Junker , German painter, sculptor and architect († 1912 )
- August 30 : Marcelo H. del Pilar , Filipino satirist and revolutionary († 1896 )
- September 1 : Norbert Pfretzschner , Austrian sculptor from a Tyrolean family of artists († 1927 )
- September 2 : Alfred Pringsheim , German mathematician and patron of the arts († 1941 )
- September 2 : Woldemar Voigt , German engineer († 1919 )
- September 3 : Friedrich Delitzsch , German Assyriologist († 1922 )
- September 5 : August Degen , German farmer, founder of a cooperative, agricultural functionary and politician († 1924 )
- September 5 : Eugen Goldstein , German physicist († 1930 )
- September 6 : Léon-Adolphe Amette , Archbishop of Paris and Cardinal († 1920 )
- September 8 : Paul Gerson Unna , German doctor and dermatologist († 1929 )
- September 9 : Leopold Miguéz , Brazilian composer († 1902 )
- September 11 : Bernhard Howaldt , German entrepreneur and engineer († 1908 )
- September 13 : Otto Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein , Royal Bavarian War Minister and Colonel General († 1929 )
- September 15 : Hermann Dechent , German Protestant theologian and pastor († 1935 )
- September 16 : Ottmar von Angerer , German medic († 1918 )
- September 17 : Franziskus von Bettinger , German cardinal († 1917 )
- September 21 : Hans Sitt , German composer († 1922 )
- September 21 : Peter Carl Aloys Kreutzwald , Vicar General in Cologne († 1918 )
- September 23 : Richard Hertwig , German zoologist († 1937 )
- September 30th : Babette von Bülow , pseud. Hans Arnold, b. Eberty, German writer († 1927 )
- October 1 : Heinrich Schröder (missionary) , German missionary and martyr († 1883 )
- October 1 : David Rowland Francis , American politician († 1927 )
- October 5 : Ludwig Wilser , German doctor and writer († 1923 )
- October 8 : Henry Le Chatelier , French chemist, metallurgist and physicist († 1936 )
- October 10 : Carl Thiem , is considered the founder of trauma surgery in Germany († 1917 )
- October 11th : Jaro Pawel , Austrian gymnastics teacher and Germanist († 1917 )
- October 12 : Pellegrino Matteucci , Italian traveler to Africa († 1881 )
- October 17 : Thomas Jeffery Parker , British zoologist († 1897 )
- October 18 : Louis Aronsohn , German banker and politician († 1928 )
- October 18 : Francis Thomé , French composer († 1909 )
- October 19 : Annie Smith Peck , American mountaineer († 1935 )
- October 21 : Hermann Müller , Swiss botanist († 1927 )
- October 22 : Heinrich von Zügel , German painter († 1941 )
- October 28 : Clarence Larkin , American Baptist pastor and Bible teacher († 1924 )
- October 30 : John Patton Jr. , American politician († 1907 )
- November 6 : Remmer Janssen , German (East Frisian) revival preacher († 1931 )
- November 6 : Josefine Schalk , German painter († 1919 )
- November 6 : Ernest von Koerber , Austrian politician of the Danube Monarchy († 1919 )
- November 9th : Louis Lewin , German founder of industrial toxicology and drug research († 1929 )
- November 12 : Edmund Hellmer , Austrian sculptor († 1935 )
- November 12th : Mikhail Ivanovich Tschigorin , Russian chess player († 1908 )
- November 12th : Therese von Bayern , German ethnologist, zoologist, botanist and anthropologist († 1925 )
- November 13 : Georg Busolt , German ancient historian († 1920 )
- November 13 : Robert Louis Stevenson , Scottish writer († 1894 )
- November 16 : Federico Errázuriz Echaurren , Chilean politician († 1901 )
- November 17 : Friedrich Hermann Wölfert , German publisher and aviation pioneer († 1897 )
- November 19 : Hans Brendicke , Berlin gymnastics teacher, gymnastics writer and editor († 1925 )
- November 20 : Arthur Goring Thomas , English composer († 1892 )
- November 21 : Wilhelm Gemoll , German classical philologist and lexicographer († 1934 )
- November 22nd : Georg Dehio , German art historian († 1932 )
- November 24th : Antonin Marmontel , French composer, pianist and music teacher († 1907 )
- November 25 : Eduard Sievers , German specialist in German († 1932 )
- November 26 : John Forrester Andrew , American politician († 1895 )
- November 27 : Helene von Mülinen , Swiss women's rights activist († 1924 )
- November 28 : Henry Cullen Adams , American politician († 1906 )
- November 28 : Robert Koehler , German-American painter († 1917 )
- November 28 : Gotthardt Kuehl , German painter († 1915 )
- December 4 : Warren Garst , American politician († 1924 )
- December 4 : Knud Sehested , Danish politician († 1908 )
- December 5 : Alexander Girardi , Austrian actor († 1918 )
- December 9 : Emma Abbott , American opera singer († 1891 )
- December 10 : Jennie Augusta Brownscombe , American painter, designer, etcher and illustrator († 1936 )
- December 12 : Martin Frederick Ansel , American politician († 1945 )
- December 13 : Iver Holter , Norwegian composer († 1941 )
- December 14 : Josef Arbesser von Rastburg , Austrian landscape and architecture painter († 1928 )
- December 21 : Zdeněk Fibich , Czech composer († 1900 )
- December 21 : Francesco Ragonesi , Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1931 )
- December 21 : Hendrik Barend Greven , Dutch economist and statistician († 1933 )
- December 22 : Victoriano Huerta , Mexican general and President of Mexico († 1916 )
- December 25 : Wilhelm Viëtor , German linguist and neophilologist († 1918 )
- December 25 : Elisabeth Fedde , Norwegian deaconess († 1921 )
- December 27 : Heinrich Ancker , German politician and entrepreneur († 1900 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Abdul Rahman ibn Abdallah , Imam of the Wahhabis († 1928 )
- Joseph Beattie Armstrong , New Zealand botanist († 1926 )
- Emmy Drechsler Hamilton , English violinist and music teacher († after 1890)
- Mihran Nakkashian , Armenian editor and publicist († 1944 )
- Leylâ Saz , Turkish composer († 1936 )
- Wilhelm Schwach , Romanian-German composer, music teacher and choir director († 1921 )
- January 2 : Manuel de la Peña y Peña , interim and regular President of Mexico (* 1789 )
- January 11 : Josef Klieber , Austrian sculptor and painter (* 1773 )
- January 17 : Samuel Anderson , American politician (* 1773 )
- January 20 : Adam Oehlenschläger , Danish national romantic poet (* 1779 )
- January 22nd : Vincenzo Pallotti , Italian Catholic priest and founder of an order (* 1795 )
- January 27 : Johann Gottfried Schadow , Prussian sculptor and graphic artist (* 1764 )
- February 20 : Hermann Biow , German photographer (* 1804 )
- February 25 : Daoguang , Chinese Emperor (Qing Dynasty) (* 1782 )
- February 27 : Samuel Adams , American politician (* 1805 )
- March 9 : Francesco Maria Avellino , Italian archaeologist (* 1778 )
- March 19 : Adalbert Gyrowetz , Austrian composer (* 1763 )
- March 20 : Vinzenz Adelmann , German medic (* 1780 )
- March 23 : Mathias Drexler , German-Austrian master stonemason and sculptor of historicism (* 1790 )
- March 26 : Samuel Turell Armstrong , American politician (* 1784 )
- March 26 : Wilhelm Ernst Weber , German educator and philologist (* 1790 )
- March 27 : Wilhelm Beer , German banker and astronomer (* 1797 )
- March 28 : Johann-Conrad Appenzeller , Swiss pastor and folk writer (* 1775 )
- March 28 : Bernt Michael Holmboe , Norwegian mathematician and didactician for mathematics (* 1795 )
- March 31 : John C. Calhoun , American politician and Vice President (* 1782 )
- March 31 : Heinrich Franz von Bombelles , Austrian diplomat, officer and educator of the later Emperor Franz Joseph I (* 1789 )
- April 3 : Johann Wenzel Tomaschek , Bohemian music teacher and composer (* 1774 )
- April 6 : Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Bötticher , German pedagogue and historian (* 1798 )
- April 9 : William Prout , British medic and chemist (* 1785 )
- April 15 : Jules Robert Auguste , French painter and sculptor (* 1789 )
- April 16 : Johann David Heegewaldt , German Privy Councilor (* 1773 )
- April 16 : Marie Tussaud , wax artist and founder of the Madame Tussauds named after her in London (* 1761 )
- April 19 : Ernst von Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld , Russian general of the cavalry (* 1789 )
- April 21 : Johann Heinrich Cassebeer , German botanist, geologist, agricultural and viticulture specialist, politician (* 1784 )
- April 21 : Nikolaus Wesselényi , Hungarian politician, landowner (* 1796 )
- April 22 : Friedrich Robert Faehlmann , German-Estonian philologist (* 1798 )
- April 23 : William Wordsworth , British poet (* 1770 )
- April 24th : Louis Alexandre Piccinni , French composer (* 1779 )
- April 25 : Karl von Canitz and Dallwitz , Prussian lieutenant general and statesman (* 1787 )
- May 9 : Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac , French chemist and physicist (* 1778 )
- May 11 : Justus Friedrich Karl Hecker , German medical historian (* 1795 )
- May 12 : Heinrich August Pierer , German officer, publisher and lexicographer (* 1794 )
- May 15 : Johann Jakob Wolfensberger , Swiss painter (* 1797 )
- May 16 : William Hendricks , American politician (* 1782 )
- May 21 : Christoph Ammon , German Protestant theologian (* 1766 )
- May 29 : Franklin H. Elmore , American politician (* 1799 )
- June 18 : Leonard Wilcox , American politician (* 1799 )
- June 28 : Karl Friedrich Schulz , German Protestant hymn composer and music teacher (* 1784 )
- July 2 : Robert Peel , British statesman and politician (* 1788 )
- July 4th : William Kirby , English pastor and entomologist (* 1759 )
- July 7th : Carl Rottmann , German landscape painter (* 1797 )
- July 8 : Adolph Friedrich, Duke of Cambridge , British Field Marshal (* 1774 )
- July 9th : The Bab , Persian religious founder, founder of the religion of Babism (* 1819 )
- July 9 : Jean-Pierre Boyer , Haitian President (* 1776 )
- July 9 : Zachary Taylor , American general and 12th President of the USA (* 1784 )
- July 19 : Margaret Fuller , American writer (* 1810 )
- July 25 : Richard Barnes Mason , American officer and military governor of California (* 1797 )
- July 28 : James Clarke , American politician (* 1812 )
- August 9 : Johann Christoph Bauriegel , German educator (* 1773 )
- August 15 : Johann Werner Henschel , German sculptor (* 1782 )
- August 17th : José de San Martín , South American revolutionary (* 1778 )
- August 18 : Honoré de Balzac , French writer (* 1799 )
- August 22nd : Gottfried Fleischmann , German physician and university professor (* 1777 )
- August 22 : Nikolaus Lenau , Austrian writer (* 1802 )
- August 26th : Ludwig Philipp , King of France (* 1773 )
- August 31 : Charles Rivière-Hérard , President of Haiti (* 1789 )
- September 1 : Karl Friedrich von Gärtner , German botanist and doctor (* 1772 )
- September 5 : Jean-Lucq d'Arriule , French general (* 1774 )
- September 7 : Julius Minding , German doctor and writer (* 1808 )
- September 20 : Georg Friedrich Falcke , German lawyer (* 1783 )
- September 22nd : Johann Heinrich von Thünen , German author (* 1783 )
- September 23 : José Gervasio Artigas , Uruguayan officer and freedom fighter (* 1764 )
- September 28 : Johann Philipp Krebs , German classical philologist (* 1771 )
- October 2nd : Josef Madersperger , Austrian master tailor and one of the inventors of the sewing machine (* 1768 )
- October 4 : Christian Gotthard Kettembeil (1773–1850), businessman and theater manager (* 1773 )
- October 12 : Pedro de Sousa Holstein , Portuguese politician (* 1781 )
- November 3 : Thomas Ford , American politician (* 1800 )
- November 4 : Gustav Schwab , German pastor, writer and editor (* 1792 )
- November 5 : Ferdinand Karl of Austria-Este , Governor General of Galicia and Transylvania (* 1781 )
- November 6 : Friedrich Wilhelm Graf von Brandenburg , Prussian cavalry general and statesman (* 1792 )
- November 10th : Sir Phineas Riall , British general (* 1775 )
- November 16 : Théodore Mozin , French composer and music teacher (* 1818 )
- November 18 : Stephan Metz , Mayor of Mainz (* 1789 )
- November 22nd : Lin Zexu , Chinese civil servant (* 1785 )
- November 22nd : Garret D. Wall , American politician (* 1783 )
- November 24th : Franz Philipp Aull , German politician (* 1779 )
- December 4th : William Sturgeon , English physicist and inventor (* 1783 )
- December 10th : Johann Friedrich von Türckheim , Alsatian-French politician (* 1780 )
- December 17th : Friedrich Ammensdörfer , Franconian beer brewer, innkeeper and politician (* 1785 )
- December 22nd : William Plumer , American politician (* 1759 )
- December 23 : Samuel Bell , American politician (* 1770 )
- December 24th : Frédéric Bastiat , French economist and journalist (* 1801 )
- December 25 : Heinrich Stephani , German pedagogue and school reformer (* 1761 )
- December 27 : Giacinto Amati , Italian theologian (* 1778 )
- December 28 : Heinrich Christian Schumacher , Danish-German astronomer (* 1780 )
- December 29 : Johann Nepomuk von Schmiel , Swiss politician and officer (* 1774 )