Calendar overview 1855
William Walker sets out to
usurp power in Nicaragua
|After the death of his father Nicholas I, Alexander II becomes Tsar in the Russian Empire .|
Fort Malakov by French troops
leads to the fall of Sevastopol in the Crimean War .
|1855 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1303/04 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1847/48 (turn of the year 11/12 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||11/12 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1260/61 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2398/99 (southern Buddhism); 2397/98 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1217/18 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4188/89 (2-3 October)|
|Iranian calendar||1233/34 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1271/72 (September 12-13)|
|Jewish calendar||5615/16 (12/13 September)|
|Coptic calendar||1571/72 (September 11-12)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1270/71 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2165/66 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2166/67 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1911/12 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 26 : Sardinia joins the Crimean War against Russia on the side of the Allies after an agreement concluded in Turin and wants to provide a troop contingent of 15,000 soldiers.
- February 8 : On the initiative of the Prussian representative in the Bundestag , Otto von Bismarck , the decision on the Crimean War issue is not to mobilize against Russia , but rather to adopt armed neutrality .
- March 2 : Alexander II becomes Russian Emperor during the Crimean War after his father Nicholas I dies.
- August 16 : In the Crimean War , the Russians are losing under Prince Michael Gorchakov , the Battle of the Chernaya and her attempt Siege of Sevastopol repeal fails.
- September 8 : After the Allies storm Fort Malakov , the Russian defenders have to evacuate Sevastopol .
- November 29 : Russian troops under General Muravyov take the Kars fortress in Anatolia and, despite the defeat in Crimea , are able to negotiate moderate conditions in the Peace of Paris in 1856 .
Russia / Japan
- February 7 : Between Russia and Japan , the Treaty of Shimoda closed. In addition to the establishment of diplomatic relations and the opening of three Japanese ports for the supply of the Russian fleet , the common border at the Kuril Islands is determined. In the Kuril Islands dispute this agreement is relevant today.
Great Britain / Thailand
- February 11th : Prince Kassa Hailu is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia and takes the name Theodor II as Negus . In his career he succeeded in combining the empire, which had broken up into principalities, into one large empire.
- May 4 : The American adventurer William Walker and 57 followers leave San Francisco by ship to usurp power in Nicaragua .
- 2. / 3 September : Battle of Ash Hollow
World Exhibition 1855
- May 15th : The Exposition universelle de 1855 in Paris, the first world exhibition in France, is opened by Emperor Napoleon III. opened. It was designed on the model of the London Great Exhibition of 1851 with the aim of surpassing this as possible. The exhibition will be visited by five million people until October 31 . The Bordeaux classification , which is still valid today, is introduced for Médoc wines .
- October 17 : The by Henry Bessemer invented Bessemer process , which facilitates the steel production is patented.
- November 10 : The Florentine Giovanni Caselli receives a patent for the Pantelegraph , an electromechanical fax machine that is subsequently used particularly in France.
- Daniel Baird Wesson and Horace Smith found the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company in Norwich , Connecticut , predecessor of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company .
- January 28th : The first Panama Railroad Company train runs on the completed route between Colón and Panama City . The route connects the two port cities on the Atlantic and Pacific . The investment of eight million US dollars financed the company with headquarters in New York City , get their share.
- May 31 : The Albertsbahn AG signs a contract with the Hänichener Steinkohlenbauverein which provides for the establishment of a branch line to their shafts near Hänichen. The resulting Windbergbahn near Dresden is considered the first mountain railway in Germany.
- September 28 : The Sankt Gallisch-Appenzellische Eisenbahn inaugurates its first line from Winterthur to Wil.
- The cathedral bridge (later: Hohenzollern bridge ) has been the first permanent bridge over the Rhine near Cologne for over 900 years .
- The first 100 advertising pillars are set up in Berlin . These were approved to the inventor Ernst Litfaß last year on the condition that the latest news be published.
science and technology
- August 28 : The German explorer Heinrich Barth finished in Tripoli a scientific than five years of exploring the interior of the Dark Continent .
Geography and meteorology
- February 19 : The French scientist Urbain Le Verrier presents the Paris Academy of Sciences with the weather forecast for 10 a.m. in France on the first weather map . His forecast, based on weather information obtained by telegram, is convincing and leads to the establishment of the meteorological service under Emperor Napoleon III.
- March 16 : August Petermann founds the oldest German-language specialist journal on geography in Gotha : Petermanns Geographische Mitteilungen .
- January 23 : The Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis is the first bridge to span the Mississippi River . It will be opened as a toll building.
- March 18 : The Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge , built by John Augustus Roebling , the first permanent bridge over the Niagara River and the first suspension bridge in rail traffic, opens after four years of construction.
Teaching and Research
- February 12 : Michigan State University is founded in East Lansing .
- October 16 : The Federal Polytechnic School begins lecturing in Zurich.
- The ivory prism of Nineveh is discovered.
- Gustave Courbet paints The Artist's Studio within six weeks . There is little contemporary praise for the painting, which is also rejected by the World's Fair jury, while eleven other Courbet works are accepted.
- The Macchiaioli group of artists emerged in Florence, campaigning against academicism and for realism . Its members include Telemaco Signorini , Giovanni Fattori and Adriano Cecioni .
Music and theater
- February 17th : The world premiere of the third version of Piano Concerto No. 1 in E flat major by Franz Liszt with Hector Berlioz as conductor and Franz Liszt as soloist takes place in the “Small Hall” of the Weimar Palace.
- June 2 : The world premiere of the opera Jenny Bell by Daniel-François-Esprit Auber on the libretto by Eugène Scribe takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- June 13 : Giuseppe Verdi's opera Les vêpres siciliennes ( The Sicilian Vespers ) premieres at the Théatre Impérial de L'Opéra in Paris.
- July 5th : Jacques Offenbach , whose plays are not performed by the established Parisian theaters, opens his own theater, the Théâtre des Bouffes-Parisiens, with a world premiere of his operetta Les deux aveugles ( The Two Blinds ).
- December 29th : The world premiere of the operetta Ba-ta-clan by Jacques Offenbach takes place at the Théâtre des Bouffes-Parisiens in Paris.
- The piece A Londonderry Air , now Northern Ireland's national anthem , is published for the first time in writing.
- February 9th : In the morning, the Devil's Footprints frighten the people of Devon .
- April 24th : The San Francisco Mechanics' Institute is incorporated as a corporation.
- August: The first YMCA World Conference in Paris publishes the “ Paris Base ” as the basis for the work of the YMCA.
- September 10 : One year after the laying of the foundation stone, Rabbi Adolf Jellinek inaugurates the Great Community Synagogue in Leipzig .
- November 5 : The encyclical Optime noscitis judges Pope Pius IX. to the Austrian episcopate . Among other things, it imposes pastoral duties on church representatives on fruitful cooperation with governments.
- November 13 : Austria's Emperor Franz Joseph I announces the conclusion of a concordat with the Holy See , which gives the Roman Church more rights.
- January 1st / 2nd : The New Year's flood of 1855 caused severe damage to the East Frisian Islands , in the Altes Land , Wilhelmsburg , the Vier- und Marschlanden there were dykes and floods.
- January 23 : The Wairarapa earthquake of 1855, with the epicenter on the North Island, is the heaviest earthquake in New Zealand's history with a magnitude of 8.2 and causes massive land uplift in the metropolitan area of Wellington and in the region. Despite the severity of the quake, there is only one fatality.
- February 15 : The French frigate La Sémillante runs aground on the Lavezzi Islands near Corsica during a hurricane , none of the 693 sailors and soldiers on board survives.
- November 11 : The Ansei Edo earthquake in Japan near Edo in 1855 cost 7,000 to 10,000 lives. In addition, over 50,000 buildings and around 50 temples are destroyed. The daily aftershocks don't subside until nine days later.
- February 7th : Foundation of the oldest German sailing club, the SC RHE , in Königsberg i. Pr. (Today Hamburg)
- Bramall Lane will be built as a cricket stadium and willopen with a gameon April 30th .
- August 1st : First ascent of the Dufourspitze , the highest mountain in Switzerland , by a rope team led by Charles Hudson
- Founding of the Krefeld Gymnastics Club in 1855 (KTV 1855), today's Prussian Krefeld
Historical maps and views
Plan of Berlin 1855
- January 1 : Carl Partsch , German surgeon, is considered the father of dental surgery († 1932 )
- January 5 : King Camp Gilette , American inventor and entrepreneur († 1932 )
- January 9 : Otto Widmer , Roman Catholic clergyman and head of a children's home († 1932 )
- January 10 : Petrus Johannes Blok , Dutch historian († 1929 )
- January 10 : Werner Stein , German sculptor († 1930 )
- January 10 : Rodolfo Tartini , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman († 1933 )
- January 13 : Otto Lehmann , German physicist and "father" of liquid crystal research († 1922 )
- January 16 : Eleanor Marx , German socialist and youngest daughter of Karl Marx († 1898 )
- January 17th : Anton Stecker , Austrian traveler to Africa († 1888 )
- January 17th : Ignatz Schöckl , Hungarian architect († 1928 )
- January 20 : Ernest Chausson , French composer († 1899 )
- January 20 : Hugo Conwentz , German botanist and conservationist († 1922 )
- January 21 : Christian Bartholomae , German Indo-Europeanist, Iranist and Indologist († 1925 )
- January 21 : Rudolf Cronau , German journalist and painter († 1939 )
- January 22nd : Albert Neisser , German dermatologist († 1916 )
- January 22nd : Ernst Kullak , German composer († 1914 )
- January 23 : John Moses Browning , most successful inventor of weapons technology with 128 patents († 1926 )
- January 24th : Frank Hadow , English tennis player († 1946 )
- January 25 : Eduard Meyer , German ancient historian († 1930 )
- January 26 : John Barton Payne , American politician († 1935 )
- January 30 : Howard O. Sturgis , British writer († 1920 )
- January 31 : Otto Ehrenfried Ehlers , German explorer and writer († 1895 )
- February 2 : Fritz Rose , German colonial official and Imperial Commissioner in German New Guinea († 1922 )
- February 4 : Joseph Auer , German composer († 1911 )
- February 5 : Thomas Gair Ashton , British politician, entrepreneur and peer († 1933 )
- February 13 : Heinrich Nils Antoine-Feill , German lawyer († 1922 )
- February 13 : Paul Deschanel , French politician and President of the Third Republic († 1922 )
- February 13 : Fritz Köster , German editor and anarcho-syndicalist († 1934 )
- February 14 : Christian Bohr , Danish physiologist († 1911 )
- February 14 : João Franco Ferreira Pinto Castelo Branco , Portuguese politician († 1929 )
- February 14 : Vsevolod Michailowitsch Garschin , Russian writer († 1888 )
- February 15 : Hugo Vogel , German painter († 1934 )
- February 17 : Otto Liman von Sanders , German general († 1929 )
- February 18 : Adolf Frey , Swiss writer and literary historian († 1920 )
- February 18 : Marie Stritt , German women's rights activist († 1928 )
- February 19 : UV Swaminatha Iyer , Tamil scholar and philologist († 1942 )
- February 23 : Jonathan Bourne , American politician († 1940 )
- February 24 : Johannes von Eben , German infantry general († 1924 )
- February 25 : Tsuda Sanzō , Japanese policeman who carried out an assassination attempt on the later Tsar Nicholas II († 1891 )
- March 1 : Meta von Salis , Swiss historian and women's rights activist († 1929 )
- March 3 : Alois Mayer , German sculptor († 1936 )
- March 3 : George Henry Wilson , American dentist and university professor († 1922 )
- March 5 : Friedrich J. Pajeken , German businessman and writer († 1920 )
- March 5 : Sophie Friederike , Austrian Archduchess of Austria († 1857 )
- March 6 : Walter Friedensburg , German archivist and historian († 1938 )
- March 7 : Karl von den Steinen , German physician, ethnologist and writer († 1929 )
- March 9 : Theobald Dächsel , German Protestant theologian, pastor and superintendent († 1940 )
- March 11 : Josef Lang , Austrian executioner († 1925 )
- March 13 : Percival Lowell , American astronomer († 1916 )
- March 17 : Ole Andreas Øverland , Norwegian historian († 1911 )
- March 22nd : Paul Schreiber , German doctor and secret medical councilor († 1920 )
- March 23 : Amy Sherwin , Australian opera singer († 1935 )
- March 24th : Josef Jiránek , Czech pianist, composer and music teacher († 1940 )
- March 24 : Olive Schreiner , South African writer († 1920 )
- March 28 : Otto Schrader , German Indo-Europeanist († 1919 )
- April 1 : Hüseyin Hilmi Pascha , Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire († 1922 )
- April 5 : Father Sundaram Pillai , Tamil-Indian philosopher, archaeologist, writer and literary scholar († 1897 )
- April 11 : Ettore Ximenes , Italian sculptor († 1926 )
- April 13 : Ludwig Edinger , German physician, neurologist and brain researcher († 1918 )
- April 14 : Heinrich Bandlow , German educator and author († 1933 )
- April 15 : Jakob Minor , Austrian literary scholar († 1912 )
- April 18 : Miles Benjamin McSweeney , American politician († 1921 )
- April 21 : Heinrich Grünfeld , Austrian composer, cellist and music teacher († 1931 )
- April 22 : John A. Moon , American politician († 1921 )
- April 23 : Luise Gerbing , German homeland researcher († 1927 )
- April 23 : Ernst von Wolhaben , German writer († 1934 )
- April 27 : Hans Olde , German painter († 1917 )
- April 29 : Julius Zeißig , German architect († 1930 )
- May 1 : Cecilia Beaux , American painter († 1942 )
- May 7 : Oskar von Miller , German engineer and founder of the Deutsches Museum († 1934 )
- May 9 : Julius Röntgen , German-Dutch composer and pianist († 1932 )
- May 10 : Adolf Brütt , German sculptor († 1939 )
- May 10 : Yukteswar Giri , Indian yogi and guru († 1936 )
- May 11 : Anatoli Konstantinowitsch Lyadow , Russian composer († 1914 )
- May 14 : Adolf Arenson , German composer, theosophist and anthroposophist († 1936 )
- May 14 : Eduard von Keyserling , German writer and playwright († 1918 )
- May 15 : Louis Hagen , German banker († 1932 )
- May 15 : Leopold von Kalckreuth , German painter and graphic artist († 1928 )
- May 16 : Leopold von Auersperg , Austrian politician († 1918 )
- May 16 : Jean Victor Augagneur , French doctor and politician († 1931 )
- May 19 : Karl Gander , German teacher and local researcher († 1945 )
- May 21 : Ephraim Adler , German medic († 1910 )
- May 21 : Émile Verhaeren , Belgian poet († 1916 )
- May 24 : Florence Dixie , British traveler and writer († 1905 )
- May 29 : David Bruce , Australian-English doctor and parasitologist († 1931 )
- May 30 : Georg Schaumberg , German writer († 1931 )
- June 1 : Edward H. Angle , American orthodontist († 1930 )
- June 1 : Bernhard Sehring , German architect († 1941 )
- June 5 : Josef Neuwirth , Austrian art historian († 1934 )
- June 5 : Hanuš Wihan , Czech cellist and music teacher († 1920 )
- June 9 : Eduard Christian Arning , German-English dermatologist and leprosy researcher († 1936 )
- June 10 : Charles Allen Culberson , American politician († 1925 )
- June 10 : Hilma Kristina Elisabet Angered-Strandberg , Swedish writer († 1927 )
- June 11 : Georg August Zenker , German gardener, botanist and zoologist († 1922 )
- June 14 : Robert M. La Follette , American politician († 1925 )
- June 19 : Maria Tauscher , German Catholic founder of the order († 1938 )
- June 21 : Therese Malten , German singer (soprano) († 1930 )
- July 2 : Jesko von Puttkamer , German colonial official and governor of Cameroon († 1917 )
- July 4th : Vlaho Bukovac , Croatian painter († 1922 )
- July 7 : Ludwig Ganghofer , German writer († 1920 )
- July 13 : Emil Münsterberg , German administrative lawyer and poverty researcher († 1911 )
- July 16 : Hans Friedrich Geitel , German physicist († 1923 )
- July 16 : Rodolphe Lindt , Swiss chocolate producer († 1909 )
- July 19 : Ludwig Arntz , German architect, monument conservator and cathedral builder († 1941 )
- July 18 : Axel Paulsen , Norwegian figure skater and inventor of the figure skating jump Axel († 1938 )
- July 25 : Edward Solomon , English composer and conductor († 1895 )
- July 26 : Auguste Hertzer , German nurse († 1934 )
- July 26 : Ferdinand Tönnies , German sociologist, economist and philosopher († 1936 )
- July 26 : Waldemar Christ , Prussian Major General († 1921 )
- July 28 : Kurt Sorge , German industrialist and chairman of several business associations († 1928 )
- July 29 : Georg von Eucken-Addenhausen , German lawyer and statesman († 1942 )
- July 30 : Georg Wilhelm von Siemens , German industrialist († 1919 )
- August 15 : Walter Hines Page , American journalist, publisher and diplomat († 1918 )
- August 17 : Wilhelm Grube , German sinologist († 1908 )
- August 21 : Xaver Marnitz , German-Baltic provost and Protestant martyr († 1919 )
- August 21 : Georg Freiherr von Rheinbaben , Prussian politician and patron of the city of Krefeld († 1921 )
- August 22 : Carl Funke , German entrepreneur († 1912 )
- August 24 : Eugen Berg , German-Baltic pastor and Protestant martyr († 1919 )
- August 24th : Agnes Marshall , English cook, author and inventor († 1905 )
- August 25 : Patrick McMahon Glynn , Australian politician († 1931 )
- August 29 : Emil Paur , Austrian conductor and composer († 1932 )
- August 30 : Adolf Ausfeld , German classical philologist († 1904 )
- August 30 : Wiktor Barabasz , Polish pianist, conductor and music teacher († 1925 )
- August 30 : Adauctus Aurélio de Miranda Henriques , Brazilian Archbishop († 1935 )
- September 1 : Innokenti Fjodorowitsch Annensky , Russian poet, literary critic, playwright and translator († 1909 )
- September 2 : Michael Hoke Smith , American politician († 1931 )
- September 9 : Houston Stewart Chamberlain , Anglo-German writer and cultural philosopher († 1927 )
- September 10 : Hugo Constantin Cuno Oskar August Appelius , German lawyer († 1907 )
- September 10 : Robert Koldewey , German architect and archaeologist († 1925 )
- September 11th : Georg Schmiedl , German conservationist and philanthropist († 1929 )
- September 12 : William Sharp , Scottish writer († 1905 )
- September 15 : Johann Friedrich Ahlhorn , German politician († 1934 )
- September 17 : Friedrich Wilhelm von Loebell , German politician († 1931 )
- September 19 : William Harris Ashmead , American entomologist († 1908 )
- September 24 : Benjamin Auerbach , German doctor († 1940 )
- September 24th : Henri Berthoud , Swiss Protestant clergyman and linguist († 1904 )
- September 25 : Aeba Kōson , Japanese writer and theater critic († 1922 )
- September 27 : Paul Émile Appell , French mathematician († 1930 )
- September 30 : Pieter van Romburgh , Dutch chemist and university professor († 1945 )
- October 1 : Anani Jawaschow , Bulgarian educator, botanist and archaeologist († 1934 )
- October 12 : Arthur Nikisch , Hungarian conductor († 1922 )
- October 12 : August Sauer , Austrian literary scholar († 1926 )
- October 15 : Robert Turner , American Bahai († 1909 )
- October 27 : Ivan Vladimirovich Michurin , Russian botanist and plant breeder († 1935 )
- October 28 : Francis James Gillen , Australian anthropologist and ethnologist († 1912 )
- October 29 : Jacques Curie , French physicist († 1941 )
- October 29 : Emil Doepler , German painter († 1922 )
- October 29 : Kyrillos IX. Moghabghab , Lebanese clergyman and Patriarch of Antioch († 1947 )
- October 30 : Károly Aggházy , Hungarian pianist and composer († 1918 )
- November 1 : Guido Adler , Austrian musicologist († 1941 )
- November 5 : Eugene V. Debs , American politician († 1926 )
- November 5 : Léon-Philippe Teisserenc de Bort , French meteorologist († 1913 )
- November 7th : Edwin Hall , American physicist († 1938 )
- November 12 : Amandus Heinrich Adamson , Estonian sculptor († 1929 )
- November 13 : Omer Madison Kem , American politician († 1942 )
- November 19 : Ludwig Becker , German architect, master builder at Mainz Cathedral († 1940 )
- November 20 : Emilie Mataja , Austrian writer of realism († 1938 )
- November 23 : John I. Cox , American politician († 1946 )
- November 26 : Franz Xaver Nagl , Austrian Catholic Archbishop and Cardinal († 1913 )
- November 29 : Georg Rudolf Koegel , German Germanist († 1899 )
- December 1 : John William Evans , Australian politician and Prime Minister of Tasmania († 1943 )
- December 2 : Antonio Knauth , German-American lawyer († 1915 )
- December 4 : Franz Muncker , German literary historian († 1926 )
- December 8 : Virginio Arias , Chilean sculptor († 1941 )
- December 8 : Vladimir Gilyarovsky , Russian publicist and writer († 1935 )
- December 9 : Giorgio Gusmini , Italian clergyman, Archbishop of Bologna and Cardinal († 1921 )
- December 10 : August Spies , German-American editor and publisher († 1887 )
- December 10 : Henry Nicholas Ridley , British natural scientist († 1956 )
- December 11 : Fernand Cabrol , French theologian († 1937 )
- December 11th : Ernesto Elorduy , Mexican composer and pianist († 1913 )
- December 16 : Louis Nels , German colonial official († 1910 )
- December 17th : Hope Bridges Adams Lehmann , first German female doctor to pass a state examination († 1916 )
- December 19 : Carl Schroeter , German-Swiss botanist († 1939 )
- December 26 : Arnold Mendelssohn , German composer († 1933 )
- December 30 : Heinrich Hart , German writer and naturalistic literary and theater critic († 1906 )
- December 31 : Giovanni Pascoli , Italian poet († 1912 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- January 1 : Pascual Liñán , Spanish officer and chamberlain (* 1775 )
- January 7th : David Johnson , American politician (* 1782 )
- January 8 : Diponegoro , Javanese freedom fighter (* 1785 )
- January 11th : Moses Norris , American politician (* 1799 )
- January 20 : Adelheid of Austria , Queen of Sardinia (* 1822 )
- January 26 : Gérard de Nerval , French writer (* 1808 )
- January 27 : Heinrich Simon Lindemann , German philosopher and university lecturer (* 1807 )
- February 1 : Wilhelm Ludwig von Eschwege , German miner, geologist and geographer (* 1777 )
- February 1 : Claus Harms , German Protestant theologian (* 1778 )
- February 6 : Josef Munzinger , Swiss businessman and politician (* 1791 )
- February 6 : Carl August Alsleben , Prussian politician (* 1770 )
- February 10 : Ernst Ludwig von Aster , Prussian infantry general (* 1778 )
- February 14 : Heinrich Emanuel Merck , German chemist and manufacturer (* 1794 )
- February 20 : Joseph Hume , British politician (* 1777 )
- February 23 : Carl Friedrich Gauß , German mathematician, astronomer, geodesist and physicist (* 1777 )
- February 26 : Emil Ernst Gottfried von Herder , Bavarian Forestry and Government Councilor (* 1783 )
- March 2 : Nicholas I , Tsar of Russia (* 1796 )
- March 3 : Hüsrev Mehmed Pascha , Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (* 1769 )
- March 15 : Joseph von Laßberg , German Germanist and writer (* 1770 )
- March 15 : Johann Jacob Wehrli , Swiss educator (* 1790 )
- March 19 : Vladimir Istomin , Russian naval officer (* 1809 )
- March 20 : Elisa Davidia Margarethe von Ahlefeldt , German-Danish noblewoman (* 1788 )
- March 20 : Joseph Aspdin , British inventor (* 1778 )
- March 25th : Thomas Fitzgerald , American politician (* 1796 )
- March 25 : Franz Joseph Hugi , Swiss geologist and alpine researcher (* 1791 )
- March 25 : Samuel S. Phelps , American politician (* 1793 )
- March 28 : William S. Archer , American politician (* 1789 )
- March 29 : Henri Druey , Swiss lawyer, philosopher and politician (* 1799 )
- March 31 : Charlotte Brontë , British writer (* 1816 )
- April 1 : Franz Joseph Freiherr von Arens , German lawyer and politician (* 1779 )
- April 2 : George Bellas Greenough , English geologist (* 1778 )
- April 18 : Jean-Baptiste Isabey , French painter (* 1767 )
- April 20 : Franz Reisinger , German surgeon and university professor (* 1787 )
- April 20 : Karl Johann Jakob Schultheß , Swiss painter (* 1775 )
- April 21 : Samuel Sprigg , American politician (* 1783 )
- May 5 : Seabury Ford , American politician (* 1801 )
- May 6 : Alexander von Soiron , Baden politician, member of the Frankfurt National Assembly (* 1806 )
- May 13 : Teresa Belloc , Italian opera singer (* 1784 )
- May 14 : Georg Karl Wisner von Morgenstern , Croatian composer, conductor and music teacher (* 1783 )
- June 3 : Józef Bohdan Dziekoński , Polish writer (* 1816 )
- June 5 : Siegmund Anczyc , Polish theater actor and director (* 1783 )
- June 9 : Franz Ferdinand Greiner , German inventor, developed the first industrially manufactured German thermometer (* 1808 )
- June 9 : Piotr Michałowski , Polish painter (* 1800 )
- June 24th : Johann Gottfried Flügel , German philologist and lexicographer (* 1788 )
- June 25 : August Friedrich Ernst von Arnswaldt , German writer (* 1798 )
- June 28 : Fitzroy Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan , British field marshal in the Crimean War (* 1788 )
- June 29th : Delphine Gay , French poet (* 1804 )
- July 1st : August Siebert , German medic (* 1805 )
- July 4th : Horace Eaton , American politician (* 1804 )
- July 8 : William Edward Parry , British admiral and polar explorer (* 1790 )
- July 12 : Karl Spindler , German novelist (* 1796 )
- July 21 : Per Daniel Amadeus Atterbom , Swedish poet and literary historian (* 1790 )
- July 26 : August Ludwig Diemer , German legal scholar (* 1774 )
- July 28th : Salomon Rothschild , founder of the Austrian branch of the Rothschild family (* 1774 )
- July 29th : Friedrich Daniel Bassermann , German entrepreneur and liberal politician (* 1811 )
- July 29 : Karl Gottlieb Schweikart , Austrian portrait painter (* 1772 )
- August 7th : Mariano Arista , Mexican President (* 1802 )
- August 19 : Wilhelm Ludwig Volz , Baden officer and university professor (* 1799 )
- August 28 : Henry W. Collier , American politician (* 1801 )
- September 1 : Bernhard Thiersch , German high school teacher and poet of the Prussian song (* 1793 )
- September 5 : Thomas Livingstone Mitchell , British explorer (* 1792 )
- September 9 : Petrus Johannes Izaak de Fremery , Dutch medic and chemist (* 1797 )
- September 11th : Maxim Vorobjow , Russian romantic landscape painter (* 1787 )
- September 12 : Johann von Charpentier , German-Swiss geologist and glacier researcher (* 1786 )
- September 14th : Johann Adam von Itzstein , German politician (* 1775 )
- September 16 : Benedetto Pistrucci , Italian engraver (* 1783 )
- September 16 : Sergei Semjonowitsch Uvarow , Russian statesman and literary scholar (* 1786 )
- September 17 : Ernst Christian Gottlieb Jens Reinhold , German philosopher (* 1793 )
- September 18 : Wilhelm Friedrich Philipp von Ammon , German professor (* 1791 )
- September 18 : Karl Friedrich Bachmann was a German philosopher and mineralogist (* 1785 )
- October 8 : Samuel D. Hubbard , American politician (* 1799 )
- October 9th : Georg Heinrich Wolf von Arnim , German ironworks and mining entrepreneur (* 1800 )
- October 15 : Désiré-Alexandre Batton , French composer (* 1798 )
- October 29 : Gottfried Duden , German writer (* 1785 )
- October 31 : Johann Jakob Stadler , Swiss landscape painter (* 1819 )
- November 3 : Hermann Franck , German writer, esthete and critic (* 1802 )
- November 3 : François Rude , French sculptor (* 1784 )
- November 6th : Johann Gottfried Abraham Frenzel German painter, engraver and art writer (* 1782 )
- November 11th : Søren Kierkegaard , Danish philosopher and theologian (* 1813 )
- November 19 : Ambros Rieder , Austrian composer and organist (* 1771 )
- November 19 : Armand Joseph Bruat , French admiral (* 1796 )
- November 19 : Mihály Vörösmarty , Hungarian poet, editor and translator (* 1800 )
- November 25 : Karl Wilhelm Ludwig Heyse , German classical philologist and linguist (* 1797 )
- November 26 : Adam Mickiewicz , Polish poet (* 1798 )
- December 15 : Frederik Meltzer , Norwegian businessman and politician (* 1779 )
- December 16 : Max Keller , German composer and organist (* 1770 )
- December 23 : Carl Heinrich Aster , German military writer (* 1782 )
- December 30th : Heinrich Kümmel , German sculptor (* 1810 )
- December 31 : Karl Friedrich Hermann , German classical philologist and ancient historian (* 1804 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Digitized newspapers from 1855 in the newspaper information system (ZEFYS) of the Berlin State Library