Calendar overview 1845
harvest caused by the potato rot
, the great famine begins in Ireland .
James Knox Polk
becomes the eleventh President of the United States .
|Richard Wagner's opera Tannhäuser will be premiered in Dresden with Joseph Tichatschek in the title role.|
|1845 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1293/94 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1837/38 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||01/02 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1250/51 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2388/89 (southern Buddhism); 2387/88 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||75th (76th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1207/08 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4178/79 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1260/ 1261 /62 (Year 9-10 January. // 30-31. December)|
|Jewish calendar||5605/06 (October 1-2)|
|Coptic calendar||1561/62 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1260/61 (March 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2155/56 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2156/57 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1901/02 (April)|
Politics and world events
- February 19 : The Republic of Texas is annexed to the United States with the consent of the Texas people , an act that the US Congress subsequently approves on March 1 . In doing so, the United States also took over the Texas territorial claim to all land north of the Rio Grande and thus came into conflict with Mexico .
- March 3 : The previous territory of Florida is added to the United States as the 27th state .
- March 4 : Democrat James K. Polk is appointed 11th President of the United States . The youngest president to date replaces John Tyler . Hail to the Chief is played as a presidential salute for the first time at his inauguration .
- October 10 : Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft establishes the Naval School , the predecessor of what is now the United States Naval Academy . After graduating from college, graduates must serve in the US Navy or US Marine Corps on a temporary basis.
- December 2 : US President James K. Polk announces to Congress that the Monroe Doctrine must be consistently enforced and that the US would aggressively expand its sphere in the West in order to meet its divine mandate to expand .
- December 29 : The already tightly organized Texas is without going as territory 28 US state. This ends the term of office of the last Texas President Anson Jones , who tried to postpone the annexation with Mexican help.
- May 18 : Carlos María Isidro de Borbón renounces his claims to Spain's throne in favor of his son Carlos Luis , because of which the first Carlist War broke out.
- September 8 : Queen Victoria and her Prince Consort Albert visit the Wartburg .
- December 11th : Due to two free marches to overthrow the government in Lucerne , the seven Catholic cantons form a special union. This leads to polarization within Switzerland and two years later to the Sonderbund War .
- February 22nd : The British East India Company purchases all Danish properties in India, including Tranquebar , for 1,125,000 Reichstaler .
- December 18 : The Battle of Mudki takes place between the British East India Company and the Sikh Army of the Punjab in the First Sikh War . Hugh Gough's British defenders claim a hard-won victory.
- 21st bis 22. December : Also in the Battle of Ferozeshah the Governor General to Henry Hardinge reinforced by four regiments of British fight only a narrow victory.
- March 11 : In the region of the Bay of Islands which begins in the first phase New Zealand Wars of the Flagstaff War between indigenous Maori and British colonial troops . The conflict represents the challenge of British authority by Chief Hone Heke .
- July 1st : A superior British force is defeated by the Māori in the Battle of Ohaeawai .
- March 1 : The Farrapen Revolution ends in Brazil after almost ten years . The rebels in the southern Brazilian province of São Pedro do Rio Grande do Sul under Bento Gonçalves da Silva received an amnesty from provincial president Luís Alves de Lima e Silva in the Treaty of Ponche Verde. The Piratini Republic founded by General Antônio de Sousa Neto is dissolved.
- June 17th : Ecuador . President Juan José Flores is overthrown. José Joaquín de Olmedo took over the government as provisional head of state the next day.
- March 17th : The English inventor Stephen Perry is awarded a patent for the rubber band he had invented.
- December 10 : The Scottish inventor Robert William Thomson , a patent for the conceived by him solid rubber tires awarded.
- The Great Indian Peninsula Railway Company is founded in London . The Board of Directors consists of 25 British people, including officials from the British East India Company and bank employees from London. John Stuart-Wortley is the first chairman of the board. The aim of the company is to connect Bombay not only with the interior of the Indian peninsula, but also with an important port on the east coast. First, however, at least the cities of Pune , Nashik , Aurangabad , Ahmednagar , Solapur , Nagpur , Amravati and Hyderabad should be connected to Bombay. With the railway the export of cotton , silk , opium , sugar and spices should be increased.
- The Great North of Scotland Railway is founded to build a railway line from Aberdeen to Inverness .
- February 10 : History of the railroad in North America : The Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad is founded in Maine .
- October 22nd : History of the railway in Württemberg : The first section of the Zentralbahn between Cannstatt and Untertürkheim opens.
- December 11th : The French train station in Basel , the terminus of the Strasbourg – Basel railway line, goes into operation.
- July 1st : The world's first multi-colored postage stamp , known among philatelists as the Basler Taube , is issued in the canton of Basel .
science and technology
- May 14 : The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences receives a letter from King Christian VIII. Frederick in which he formulates the goals of an expedition. He decided to send the Corvette Galathea to the East Indian Islands and the Nicobar Islands , over which Denmark held sovereignty at the time, in order to conduct studies there on the products of these islands and their use for cultivation and trade. The Galathea leaves Copenhagen on June 24th. After a short stay in Madeira from July 21 to 27, the ship sails around the Cape of Good Hope towards India , where you anchor in Tranquebar , Pondicherry , Madras and Calcutta . In Calcutta, an additional ship, the steamship Ganges , is purchased to support the planned tasks on the Nicobar Islands, where intensive scientific work is being carried out.
- May 19 : With great public sympathy in Victorian England, Sir John Franklin sets out on an expedition to the Canadian Arctic with the ships Erebus and Terror . The aim of the trip is to be the first to drive through the Northwest Passage and collect geographic data about the polar region. The supply ship HMS Baretto Junior accompanies the expedition to Davis Strait on the western coast of Greenland , where the last provisions including the meat from the fresh slaughter of ten oxen are transferred to Erebus and Terror . On July 12, the supply ship leaves the formation to return to Great Britain with letters from the crew and crew members who do not want to or cannot continue the voyage. None of the remaining 129 expedition participants will return alive. On July 26, the two ships anchored in front of an iceberg encounter the whaling boats Prince of Wales and Enterprise . It is the last contact of the expedition members with the European outside world. Erebus and Terror to sail westwards and cross between Devonian and Cornwallis Island northward into the Wellingtonkanal, she to the 77th latitude up sailing - probably seek the expedition members, from the then popular open polar sea influenced the passage in the Pacific first in the north. Towards the end of the short summer, however, the two ships head south past the west coast of Cornwallis Island and hibernate off Beechey Island .
- January 14th : The German Physical Society in Berlin has its foundation day. The first meeting will take place on January 24th .
- August 6th : The Russian Geographical Society is established as a learned society in Saint Petersburg.
- In the Banditaccia necropolis of Caere discovered Giampietro Campana the spouses sarcophagus from Cerveteri .
Science and medicine
- April 2nd : Hippolyte Fizeau and Léon Foucault take the first photo of our sun . They found astronomical photography .
- December 27 : Crawford Williamson Long uses ether as an anesthetic for the first time during the birth of a child.
- In Bad Aibling , a “brine and mud bathing establishment” is being built, the first mud spa in Bavaria, from which the Ludwigsbad later emerged.
- George Gabriel Stokes formulates the parabolic velocity field for viscous liquids (with plane parallel flow and parallel pipe flow).
- Saint-Venant introduces the concept of binormal .
- July 26th : Great Britain, constructed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel , starts in Liverpool on its maiden voyage to New York City. It is the first propeller-driven steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean . The approximately fourteen-day travel time for an Atlantic crossing had not previously been reached.
- The Prospect Park Incline Railway at Niagara Falls, believed to be the world's oldest water ballast railway, opens.
Social research / economics
- August 12 : The Beethoven monument designed by Ernst Hähnel is ceremoniously unveiled on Bonn's Münsterplatz .
- Summer: The Schildhorn monument on the Schildhorn in Berlin, designed by architect Friedrich August Stüler based on pencil sketches by Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia , is completed by master builder Christian Gottlieb Cantian .
- The Glasgow Government School of Design is founded.
- January 29 : Edgar Allan Poe's poem The Raven ( The Raven ) makes its debut in the New York newspaper Evening Mirror .
Music and theater
- January 5th : The world premiere of the opera Kaiser Adolph von Nassau by Heinrich Marschner takes place in Dresden .
- February 15th : The opera Giovanna d'Arco by Giuseppe Verdi is premiered at the Teatro alla Scala di Milano in Milan . The libretto by Temistocle Solera is based on the tragedy Die Jungfrau von Orléans by Friedrich Schiller . The audience's reaction is divided.
- March 13 : Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy's Violin Concerto in E minor is successfully premiered in Leipzig. The soloist is Ferdinand David , for whom Bartholdy composed the piece.
- April 21 : Albert Lortzing's romantic magic opera Undine, based on the story of the same name by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué , is premiered at the City Theater in Magdeburg.
- October 19 : The world premiere of the opera Tannhäuser by Richard Wagner takes place at the Royal Saxon Court Theater (Semperoper) in Dresden. Joseph Tichatschek sings the title role, Wilhelmine Schröder-Devrient the role of Venus.
- December 20th : Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy's 2nd Piano Trio premieres in Leipzig .
- June 27 : Christiane Ruthardt, who was convicted at the end of the previous year, is executed as a murderer in Stuttgart , followed by the "Ruthardt affair" about the desecration of her body.
- The home economics teacher, educator and governess Henriette Davidis publishes her practical cookbook in an edition of 1,000. Over the years it has developed into the most famous cookbook in Germany.
- October 19 : The previous coadjutor Johannes von Geissel becomes the new Archbishop of Cologne as the successor to the late Clemens August II. Droste zu Vischering .
- Otto von Corvin's polemical work Pfaffenspiegel , directed against the Catholic Church , appears in the first edition.
The Great Famine in Ireland
- After a bad harvest caused by the potato rot , the great famine begins in Ireland . Around one million people died by 1849, about 12% of the Irish population. Two million people emigrate. UK Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel first took countermeasures in November by ordering the purchase of corn from the United States without cabinet approval . The prices initially correspond to the prime costs.
flood in Germany
- After the Main was frozen so tight on March 23 that a bowling alley and fish bakeries could be set up on the ice in Aschaffenburg , a thaw begins on March 27 and the river overflows its banks. At the level of Würzburg is on March 30 the highest water level of the Main the past 200 years measured.
- July 16 : A fire breaks out in a whale oil factory in New York City and quickly spreads to large parts of downtown, which has not yet recovered from a fire in 1835 . Numerous blocks burn to the ground, 30 people are killed in the disaster.
- August 4 : 399 passengers and crew died when the British emigrant ship Cataraqui ran aground on the Tasmanian island of King Island , one of the worst shipping disasters in Australian history . Only nine survivors can save themselves.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
- July 30th : The Allgemeine Turnverein zu Leipzig von 1845 eV (ATV Leipzig) is founded by Carl Ernst Bock , Karl Biedermann and Moritz Schreber , among others .
- September 23 : The first baseball club is founded, the New York Knickerbockers . This is where the first baseball rules are drawn up under the leadership of Alexander Cartwright .
- January 3 : Dominik Avanzo , German-Austrian architect († 1910 )
- January 5 : Charles Marley Anderson , American politician († 1908 )
- January 7th : Ludwig III. , last Bavarian king († 1921 )
- January 7th : Paul Deussen , German Indologist and Sanskrit scholar († 1919 )
- January 8 : Irving Webster Drew , American politician († 1922 )
- January 13 : François Félix Tisserand , French mathematician and astronomer († 1896 )
- January 16 : Charles Dwight Sigsbee , American naval officer († 1923 )
- January 18 : Bernhard Ludwig Suphan , German literary scholar († 1911 )
- January 18 : Hermann Grotefend , German archivist († 1931 )
- January 19 : Richard Buchta , Austrian African explorer († 1894 )
- January 20 : Bernhard Ziehn , German-American music theorist († 1912 )
- January 21 : Harriet Backer , Norwegian painter († 1932 )
- January 22nd : Jacob Verdam , Dutch Dutchman († 1919 )
- January 26 : Dominique Jules-Antoine , German veterinarian and politician († 1917 )
- January 29 : Charles Frederick Crisp , American politician († 1896 )
- January 30th : José Domingo de Obaldía , Panamanian President († 1910 )
- January 31 : Jules-François-Armand Dartois de Bournonville , French writer († 1912 )
- February 2 : Johann Puluj , Ukrainian physicist († 1918 )
- February 3 : Ernst von Wildenbruch , German poet and playwright († 1909 )
- February 5 : John Walter Smith , American politician († 1925 )
- February 6 : Bernhard von Prittwitz and Gaffron , state elders of Upper Silesia († 1923 )
- February 6 : Ernst Eckstein , German writer († 1900 )
- February 6 : Andreas Flocken , German entrepreneur and inventor († 1913 )
- February 8 : Emil Sax , Austrian economist († 1927 )
- February 8 : Francis Ysidro Edgeworth , English economist († 1926 )
- February 9 : Ludwig Forrer , Swiss politician († 1921 )
- February 10 : Josef Stübben , German architect († 1936 )
- February 11 : Ahmed Tevfik Pasha , last Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire († 1936 )
- February 11 : Alexander Dockery , American politician († 1926 )
- February 12 : Wilhelm Heinrich Roscher , German classical philologist († 1923 )
- February 13 : Ernest Leroux , French bookseller and publisher († 1917 )
- February 13 : Wilhelm Oswald Lohse , German astronomer († 1915 )
- February 15 : Elihu Root , American author and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate († 1937 )
- February 16 : François-Virgile Dubillard , Archbishop of Chambéry and Cardinal († 1914 )
- February 17 : Antonia Maria Fernanda Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Francesca de Assis Ana Gonzaga Silvina Julia Augusta , Infanta of Portugal and Princess of Braganza, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha († 1913 )
- February 20 : Andreas Johannes Georg Andresen , German educator and classical philologist († 1929 )
- February 21 : Lloyd Lowndes , American politician († 1905 )
- February 22nd : Karl Wilhelm Valentiner , German astronomer († 1931 )
- February 23 : Karl Wilhelm Augustin , German high school teacher and entomologist († 1932 )
- February 25 : George Reid , Australian politician and Prime Minister († 1918 )
- March 3 : Georg Cantor , German mathematician († 1918 )
- March 4 : Ludwig Aloys von Arco auf Valley , German diplomat († 1891 )
- March 7th : Heinrich Jantsch , Austrian actor and theater director († 1899 )
- March 9 : Wilhelm Pfeffer , German botanist and plant physiologist († 1920 )
- March 10 : Alexander III. , Russian tsar († 1894 )
- March 10 : Charles J. Bell , American politician († 1909 )
- March 14 : August Bungert , German composer († 1915 )
- March 15 : Chapman Levy Anderson , American politician († 1924 )
- March 19 : Ludwig von Aretin , German politician († 1882 )
- March 20 : William Richard Gowers , British neurologist († 1915 )
- March 24 : Isidore Strauss , American businessman and politician († 1912 )
- March 25 : Adolf von Groß , German financial administrator of the Bayreuth Festival († 1931 )
- March 26 : Ernst Anders , German portrait and genre painter († 1911 )
- April 1 : Wilhelm Meyer , German classical philologist and medievalist († 1917 )
- April 3 : William James Farrer , Australian agronomist and wheat breeder († 1906 )
- April 4 : František Plesnivý , Bohemian architect († 1918 )
- April 5 : Friedrich Merkel , German medic († 1919 )
- April 11 : Johann Berger , Austrian chess player and theorist († 1933 )
- April 11 : Otto Hense , German classical philologist († 1931 )
- April 13 : Josef Aichbichler , Bavarian politician († 1912 )
- April 13 : Richard Assmann , German meteorologist († 1918 )
- April 17 : Max Arnhold , Dresdner banker († 1908 )
- April 23 : Adolf von Zemlinszky , Austrian writer and journalist († 1900 )
- April 23 : Pier Andrea Saccardo , Italian botanist († 1920 )
- April 24 : Carl Spitteler , Swiss poet and writer († 1924 )
- April 26 : Jorge Montt Álvarez , Chilean officer and President († 1922 )
- April 27 : Friedrich von Hefner-Alteneck , German designer, electrical engineer and engineer († 1904 )
- May 3 : Gustav Adolf Haggenmacher , Swiss African explorer († 1875 )
- May 4 : William Kingdon Clifford , British philosopher and mathematician († 1879 )
- May 4 : Louis Henry Davies , Canadian politician and judge († 1924 )
- May 5 : Eugen Askenasy , German biologist († 1903 )
- May 9 : Carl Gustav Patrik de Laval , Franco-Swedish engineer († 1913 )
- May 12 : Gabriel Fauré , French composer († 1924 )
- May 15 : Julio Ituarte , Mexican composer († 1905 )
- May 15 : Ilya Ilyich Metschnikow , Russian zoologist, bacteriologist and immunologist († 1916 )
- May 17 : Pedro Lira , Chilean painter († 1912 )
- May 27 : Adolf Mensing , Prussian naval officer and hydrograph († 1929 )
- May 30th : Amadeus , Spanish King († 1890 )
- May 31 : Adolf Bleichert , German entrepreneur and pioneer of cable car construction († 1901 )
- June 2 : Auguste Groß von Trockau , German writer († 1915 )
- June 3 : Arthur von Posadowsky-Wehner , German politician († 1932 )
- June 5 : Hermann von Barth , German mountaineer († 1876 )
- June 7 : Leopold Auer , Hungarian violinist, violin teacher and conductor († 1930 )
- June 13 : Georg von Hollen , Prussian admiral († 1900 )
- June 14 : Antonio Maceo , Cuban general († 1896 )
- June 15 : Charles-Marie Panneton , Canadian pianist, music teacher and composer († 1890 )
- June 18 : Alphonse Laveran , French doctor and Nobel Prize winner († 1922 )
- June 19 : Eduard Bartling , German entrepreneur and politician († 1927 )
- June 22 : Richard Seddon , Prime Minister of New Zealand († 1906 )
- June 29 : George Wesley Atkinson , American politician († 1925 )
- June 29 : George Wesley Atkinson , American politician († 1925 )
- June 30 : Italo Campanini , Italian opera tenor († 1896 )
- July 1st : Arthur Freiherr von Seckendorff-Gudent , Swiss-Austrian forest scientist († 1886 )
- July 4 : Thomas John Barnardo , Irish-British benefactor († 1905 )
- July 4th : Pál Szinyei Merse , Hungarian painter († 1920 )
- July 9 : George Howard Darwin , British astronomer and mathematician († 1912 )
- July 10 : Joseph Crocé-Spinelli , French balloon pioneer († 1875 )
- July 14th : Hermann Sander , German manufacturer and local politician († 1939 )
- July 18 : Tristan Corbière , French poet († 1875 )
- July 20 : Eduard Sachau , German orientalist († 1930 )
- July 23 : Hermann Fol , Swiss zoologist and founder of modern cell biology († 1892 )
- July 25 : Victor Haderup , Danish dentist († 1913 )
- July 28 : Adolf Angst , Swiss entrepreneur († 1928 )
- August 8 : Thomas Koschat , Austrian composer and choir director († 1914 )
- August 10 : Abai Qunanbajuly , Kazakh poet, writer and thinker († 1904 )
- August 13 : Attilio Catelli , Italian librettist († 1877 )
- August 15 : Walter Crane , British painter († 1915 )
- August 15 : Ludwig Rochus Schmidlin , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman, educator and church historian († 1917 )
- August 16 : Arvid Ahnfelt , Swedish literary historian († 1890 )
- August 16 : Gabriel Lippmann , French physicist († 1921 )
- August 25 : Ludwig II , Bavarian King († 1886 )
- August 26 : James Cassius Williamson , Australian actor and impresario († 1913 )
- August 28 : Albert Böhler , Austrian industrialist († 1899 )
- August 29 : Gonville Bromhead , commanded the British forces at Rorke's Drift († 1892 )
- September 7th : Max Schreyer , Saxon forester and poet of the song Dar Vuglbärbaam († 1922 )
- September 11th : Jean-Maurice-Émile Baudot , French engineer and inventor († 1903 )
- September 11 : Robert Lüdtge , German physicist († 1880 )
- September 11 : Benton McMillin , American politician, Governor of Tennessee († 1933 )
- September 15 : Andreas Reischek , Austrian explorer, ethnographer and ornithologist († 1902 )
- September 21 : August Wilhelmj , German violinist († 1908 )
- September 21 : Ernst August, Crown Prince of Hanover , Prince of Great Britain and Ireland († 1923 )
- September 24 : Nikolai Karl Adolf Anderson , German-Baltic philologist († 1905 )
- September 25 : Eugen Esche , German trader, textile entrepreneur and free-spirited politician († 1902 )
- September 28 : Cæsar Peter Møller Boeck , Norwegian dermatologist († 1917 )
- September 29 : Joseph Müller , auxiliary bishop in Cologne († 1921 )
- October 1 : Hermann Aron , German researcher in the field of electrical engineering († 1913 )
- October 2 : Gottfried Zumoffen , Swiss Jesuit and archaeologist († 1928 )
- October 7 : Marie Heim-Vögtlin , first Swiss doctor († 1916 )
- October 7 : Otto March , German architect († 1913 )
- October 9 : Ferdinand Joseph Arnodin , French engineer and industrialist († 1924 )
- October 9 : Erwin Rohde , German classical philologist († 1898 )
- October 10 : Anton Jörgen Andersen , Norwegian composer († 1926 )
- October 11 : Reinhold Kraetke , German Reich Minister of the Post († 1934 )
- October 14 : Otto Leichtenstern , German internist († 1900 )
- October 18 : Julius Lehr , German forest scientist and economist († 1894 )
- October 21 : Marshall Arnold , American politician († 1913 )
- October 22nd : Edmund Reitter , German entomologist, non-fiction author and businessman († 1920 )
- October 25 : Otto Schramm , German entrepreneur († 1902 )
- October 25 : Rafael Stahl , German inventor and entrepreneur († 1899 )
- November 1 : Sámuel Teleki , Austro-Hungarian politician, explorer and explorer († 1916 )
- November 3 : Edward Douglass White , Supreme Federal Judge of the USA 1910 to 1921 († 1921 )
- November 7th : Ottavio Cagiano de Azevedo , Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1927 )
- November 10 : Martti Rautanen , Finnish Protestant missionary († 1926 )
- November 10 : John Thompson , Canadian politician († 1894 )
- November 14 : Ernst Perabo , American pianist and composer († 1920 )
- November 15 : Tina Blau , Austrian painter († 1916 )
- November 17 : Alexis , Prince of Bentheim and Steinfurt († 1919 )
- November 25 : José Maria Eça de Queiroz , Portuguese writer († 1900 )
- December 1 : Georg Atzel , German politician
- December 7 : Ferdinand Heerdegen , German classical philologist († 1930 )
- December 8 : Herbert Giles , British sinologist († 1935 )
- December 10 : Wilhelm von Bode , German art historian and museum director († 1929 )
- December 15 : Johann Auderer , German cigar worker and politician
- December 17 : Hermann Zimmermann , German civil engineer († 1935 )
- December 18 : Nikola Pašić , Serbian politician and Prime Minister († 1926 )
- December 19 : Henri Joseph Perrotin , French astronomer († 1904 )
- December 22 : Rudolf Heinrich , German politician († 1917 )
- December 23 : Gustave Ador , Swiss politician († 1928 )
- December 23 : Gustav Fischer , German publisher and bookseller († 1910 )
- December 24th : George I , King of Greece († 1913 )
- December 25 : Karl Reimer , German chemist and industrialist († 1883 )
- December 29 : Otto Apelt , German classical philologist, translator and high school teacher († 1932 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Grigor Ardzrouni , Armenian writer and publicist († 1892 )
- Angelo Ferni , Italian violinist († 1916 )
- Abdol Majid Mirza Eyn-al-Dowleh , Iranian Prime Minister († 1927 )
January to April
- January 2 : Hortense Haudebourt-Lescot , French painter (* 1784 )
- January 2 : Mullawirraburka , leader of the Kaurna Aboriginal tribe (* 1811 )
- January 4th : Louis-Léopold Boilly , French painter and lithographer (* 1761 )
- January 8 : Luise Pauline Maria Biron of Sagan and Kurland , Princess of Hohenzollern-Hechingen (* 1782 )
- January 10 : Diego Vigil Cocaña , Central American President (* 1799 )
- January 17 : Nikolaus Friedrich von Thouret , German painter and architect (* 1767 )
- January 20 : Edward Raczyński , Polish nobleman, founder of the Raczynski Library (* 1786 )
- January 21 : Maria Johanna von Aachen , German writer (* 1755 )
- January 28 : Elisabeth Michailowna Romanowa , Russian Grand Duchess and Duchess of Nassau (* 1826 )
- January 30th : Johann Georg Josef Karl Maria von Aretin , Bavarian civil servant, lawyer and economist (* 1770 )
- February 13 : Henrich Steffens , philosopher, natural scientist and poet (* 1773 )
- February 24 : Julius Friedrich Winzer , German ethnologist and Protestant theologian (* 1778 )
- February 25 : Asher Robbins , American politician (* 1757 )
- February 26 : Domenico Gilardi , Swiss architect of neoclassicism in Moscow (* 1785 )
- February 28 : Charles Duvernoy , French clarinetist, music teacher and composer (* 1766 )
- February 28 : Bernhard Sökeland , German philologist and historian (* 1797 )
- March 1 : Johann Christian Ferdinand Aßmann , German Protestant theologian (* 1792 )
- March 4 : August Gotthilf Gernhard , German educator and philologist (* 1771 )
- March 12 : Maria Catharina Tismar , German founder (* 1764 )
- March 16 : Isaac C. Bates , American politician (* 1779 )
- March 20 : Johannes Friedrich Ludwig Schröder , German Lutheran theologian and mathematician (* 1774 )
- April 4 : Friedrich Adolf Krummacher , German Reformed theologian (* 1767 )
- April 5 : Friederike Ellmenreich , German actress and writer (* 1775 )
- April 13 : Constance zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck , French poet and writer (* 1767 )
- April 15 : Chandu Lal , Diwan in the Indian princely state of Hyderabad (* 1766 )
- April 15 : Philippe Guerrier , President of Haiti (* 1757 )
- April 15 : Ferdinand Schazmann , German lawyer (* 1766 )
- April 18 : Nicolas-Théodore de Saussure , Swiss naturalist (* 1767 )
- April 23 : Johann Rudolf Czernin , Austrian administrative officer (* 1757 )
- April 27 : Karl Friedrich Alexander Freiherr von Arnswaldt , science politician and Minister of State (* 1768 )
May to August
- May 2 : August Friedrich Pauly , German philologist (* 1796 )
- May 2 : Guillaume de Vaudoncourt , French general and war historian (* 1772 )
- May 4 : Josef Danhauser , Austrian painter and graphic artist (* 1805 )
- May 7 : Georg von Hofmann , Austrian playwright and librettist (* 1769 )
- May 11 : William H. Roane , American politician (* 1787 )
- May 12 : Karl Wilhelm Baumgarten-Crusius , German pedagogue (* 1786 )
- May 12 : August Wilhelm Schlegel , German literary historian, orientalist and philosopher (* 1767 )
- May 14 : Philipp Jakob Siebenpfeiffer , political journalist (* 1789 )
- May 15 : Manuel Aguilar Chacón , President of Costa Rica (* 1797 )
- May 15 : Christian Krafft , German theologian, representative of federal theology (* 1784 )
- May 20 : Joseph von Hazzi , Bavarian tax officer, honored writer on forestry, agriculture and statistics (* 1768 )
- May 26 : Jónas Hallgrímsson , Icelandic poet and scientist (* 1807 )
- May 30 : Gottfried Baumann , German farmer and politician (* 1764 )
- June 7th : Wilhelm Plagge , German pharmacologist and university professor (* 1794 )
- June 8 : Elisabeth Alida Haanen , Dutch genre painter (* 1809 )
- June 8 : Andrew Jackson , American President (* 1767 )
- June 24th : Ernestine Engels , German actress (* 1785 )
- June 27 : Christiane Ruthardt , German murderer (* 1804 )
- July 11 : Johann Wilhelm Meigen , German entomologist (* 1764 )
- July 12 : Ludwig Persius , Prussian architect (* 1803 )
- July 12 : Henrik Wergeland , Norwegian poet (* 1808 )
- July 17 : Charles Gray , British statesman (* 1764 )
- July 18 : Giovanni Salucci , Italian architect (* 1769 )
- July 19 : Christoph Hävernick , German theologian of the revival movement (* 1810 )
- July 22 : Heinrich von Bellegarde , Austrian field marshal and statesman (* 1756 )
- July 23 : Othneil Looker , American politician (* 1757 )
- July 23 : William Sublette , American fur trader, trapper and mountain man (* 1799 )
- July 28 : François René Gebauer , French composer, professor and bassoonist (* 1773 )
- August 1st : Conrad Daniel von Blücher-Altona , Upper President of Altona (* 1764 )
- August 8 : Maria Josepha Hermengilde von Liechtenstein , Princess of Esterházy (* 1768 )
- August 14 : Charlotte Louise von Hohenthal , German philanthropist and social reformer (* 1808 )
- August 18 : Georg Karl Wilhelm Philipp von Donop , German civil servant and historian (* 1767 )
- August 30th : Buckner Thruston , American politician (* 1763 )
September to December
- September 2 : Bernardino Rivadavia , Argentine statesman and first president (* 1780 )
- September 10 : Karl August von Lichtenstein , German opera singer, composer, librettist, translator and artistic director (* 1767 )
- September 21 : Klementyna Hoffmanowa , Polish writer (* 1798 )
- September 22nd : John White , American politician (* 1802 )
- September 24th : Johann Aloys Miksch , Bohemian singer and singing teacher (* 1765 )
- September 25 : Heinrich Falckenberg , Berlin honorary citizen (* 1771 )
- October 2 : Samuel Paynter , American politician (* 1768 )
- October 4 : Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray , German architect and chief construction director (* 1775 )
- October 7th : Isabella Colbran , Spanish opera singer and composer (* 1785 )
- October 12 : Elizabeth Fry , British prison reformer (* 1780 )
- October 18 : Jean Dominique Comte de Cassini , French cartographer and astronomer (* 1748 )
- October 19 : Clemens August Droste zu Vischering , Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Cologne (* 1773 )
- October 27 : Jean Peltier , French physicist (* 1785 )
- November 9th : Friedrich Anton Wyttenbach , German painter (* 1812 )
- November 16 : Ludwig Iwanowitsch Charlemagne , Russian architect (* 1784 )
- November 22nd : Morten Wormskjold , Danish botanist and traveler (* 1783 )
- November 30th : Nils Gabriel Sefström , Swedish chemist and mineralogist (* 1787 )
- December 2 : Johann Simon Mayr , German composer of the Italian opera (* 1763 )
- December 8 : Pierre Tobie Yenni , Bishop of Lausanne-Geneva (* 1774 )
- December 21 : Robert Henry Sale , British general (* 1782 )
- December 25 : Wilhelm Friedrich Ernst Bach , German composer (* 1759 )
- December 25th : James Thomas , American politician (* 1785 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Giovanni Battista Caviglia , Italian captain and Egyptologist (* 1770 )
- Alexander Juhan , American composer, pianist and conductor (* 1765 )
- John Knox , Scottish landscape painter (* 1778 )
- Lasse-Maja , Swedish trick thief (* 1785 )
- Mohammed Akbar , Afghan tribal leader (* 1816 )
- Manuel Pérez , Head of State of Nicaragua (* 1800 )
- Saleh Shirazi , Persian ambassador to England and publisher (* 1790 )