Friedrich Merkel (doctor)
Friedrich Merkel studied medicine from 1864 at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen , the Royal University of Greifswald and the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen . From 1865 he became a member of the Baruthia Corps . In 1869 in Erlangen, as a student of Jakob Henle, he became a Dr. med. PhD . In the same year he became a prosector at the Anatomical Institute in Göttingen, where he completed his habilitation in 1870 . In 1872 he was appointed full professor of anatomy and director of the anatomical institute at the University of Rostock . In the years 1881 and 1882 Merkel was elected rector of the University of Rostock. In 1883 he followed the call of the Albertus University in Königsberg . After two years Merkel moved back to Göttingen, where he succeeded his teacher and father-in-law Jakob Henle in 1885.
In recognition of his achievements in microscopic technology, topographical anatomy and histology, he was accepted into the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina in 1880 . In 1885 Merkel was elected a full member of the Mathematical-Physical Class of the Society of Sciences at the University of Göttingen . In 1910 he became a corresponding member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences . The Merkel cells or Merkel corpuscles (Merkel touch disks) are named after him.
- The zona ciliaris . Leipzig 1870.
- The Linea nuchae suprema . Leipzig, 1871.
- Macroscopic anatomy of the eye and its surroundings . Handbook of Ophthalmology. Leipzig 1874.
- The microscope and its application . Munich 1875.
- About the endings of the sensory nerves in the skin of vertebrates . Rostock 1880.
- Manual of topographical anatomy . Braunschweig 1885–1907.
- Intestinal system . Manual of Anatomy, Vol. 6. Jena 1902.
- Human anatomy. With references to the medical practice . 6 sections in 11 volumes. Wiesbaden, JF Bergmann 1913-1918.
- Volker Zimmermann: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 17, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1994, ISBN 3-428-00198-2 , pp. 145 f. ( ). In:
- Schmidt, Isolde. In: Angela Hartwig, Tilmann Schmidt (Hrsg.): The Rectors of the University of Rostock - 1419–2000 , in: Contributions to the history of the University of Rostock, issue 23. Universitätsdruckerei Rostock-Universitätsarchiv 2000. ISBN 3-86009-173-5 .
- Heinz-Peter Schmiedebach : Merkel, Friedrich Siegmund. In: Werner E. Gerabek , Bernhard D. Haage, Gundolf Keil , Wolfgang Wegner (eds.): Enzyklopädie Medizingeschichte. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, ISBN 3-11-015714-4 , p. 972.
- Entry on Friedrich Merkel in the Catalogus Professorum Rostochiensium
- Entry by Friedrich Merkel in the data of the Paul Wolfgang Merkel Family Foundation
- Kösener corps lists 1910, 37/441
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Merkel, Johann Friedrich Sigmund (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German anatomist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 5, 1845|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nuremberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 28, 1919|
|Place of death||Goettingen|