New German biography
The New German Biography ( NDB ) has been published by the Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences since 1953 and, along with the previous project, the General German Biography (ADB), is the authoritative German national biography . The contributions are written by individual specialist authors and usually also contain name variants, information on genealogy , CVs with historical classification, awards , lists of sources , works and literature as well as portraits .
So far, there are around 23,000 individual and family items in 27 volumes (as of February 2020). The personal names contained therein can be researched online together with those from the Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie in the Deutsche Biographie . Volume 28 of the printed NDB is expected to be completed in 2023.
The first volume of the NDB appeared in 1953 and covers personalities up to the year of their death in 1952. The group of people includes Germans who worked abroad as well as foreigners who were particularly prominent in the German-speaking and cultural area. The work is laid out in 28 volumes, which should be available by 2023. The editors were Otto zu Stolberg-Wernigerode (until 1967), Walter Bußmann (1968), Fritz Wagner (until 1987), Karl Otmar Freiherr von Aretin (until 1998) and Hans Günter Hockerts (until 2012). For volume 25, the NDB was initially headed in 2013 by Maximilian Lanzinner , and since the beginning of 2014 by Hans-Christof Kraus . Since July 2014, Malte Rehbein has been the project manager responsible for the digital German biography operated in cooperation with the Bavarian State Library (BSB) and Peter Hoeres has been responsible for the online continuation of the NDB since 2019.
The general register published by the Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and the Bavarian State Library has been freely accessible on the Internet since August 2001. In addition, since April 2008 the articles in the first 22 volumes of the NDB have been available online and linked to the register, as have the digital copies of the Electronic General German Biography (E-ADB) since 2002 ; Volume 23 (Schinzel - Schwarz) followed in July 2010, Volume 24 (Schwarz - Stader) in October 2013, Volume 25 (Stadion - Tecklenborg) in 2016. From 2003 to 2010, the complete register was published in four editions, regularly updated and expanded, also on CD-ROM.
The name registers with updated additional information and bio-bibliographical information have also been integrated into the biography portal since July 2009 . After approval by the German Research Foundation (DFG), the first 23 volumes of the NDB and 55 volumes of the ADB have been made available on the Internet as TEI-structured xml full text since February 2010. In addition, around 93,000 names from the ADB and NDB contained in the overall register were compared with the personal name file (PND) and around 37,000 new data records were created.
On the basis of the digitized main index of the NDB editorial team, a further 34,000 personal data records compared with the PND were integrated into the index in July 2011. In February 2012, the DFG approved an application to expand the German biography into a central historical-biographical information system for the German-speaking area. The common authority file (GND) forms the basis for the systematic networking with other personal resources such as the Kalliope network , filmportal.de and the central database of papers of the Federal Archives . A GND beacon file is also provided for the articles in the NDB.
- Aachen - Behaim . 1953, reprinted 1971
- Behaim - Bürkel . 1955, reprinted 1971
- Bürklein - Ditmar . 1957, reprinted 1971
- Dittel - Falck . 1959, reprinted 1971
- Falck - Fyner (in front: Faistenberger) . 1961, reprinted 1971
- Gaál - Grasmann . 1964, reprinted 1971
- Grassauer - Hartmann . 1966
- Hartmann - Heske . 1969
- Hess - Hüttig . 1972
- Hufeland - coffee sack . 1974
- Kafka - Kleinfercher . 1977
- Kleinhans - Kreling . 1980
- Krell - lavas . 1982
- Laverrenz - Locher-Freuler . 1985
- Locherer - Maltza (h) n . 1987, ISBN 3-428-00196-6
- Maly - Melanchthon . 1990, ISBN 3-428-00197-4
- Melander - Moller . 1994, ISBN 3-428-00198-2
- Moller - Nausea . 1997, ISBN 3-428-00199-0
- Nauwach - Pagel . 1999, ISBN 3-428-00200-8
- Pagenstecher - Püterich . 2001, ISBN 3-428-00201-6
- Pütter - Rohlfs . With ADB & NDB total register on CD-ROM. 2003, ISBN 3-428-11202-4
- Rohmer - Schinkel . With the 2nd edition of the ADB & NDB general register on CD-ROM, 2005, ISBN 3-428-11203-2
- Schinzel - black . With 3rd edition of the ADB & NDB-Gesamtregister on CD-ROM, 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-11204-3
- Black - Stader . With 4th edition of the ADB & NDB complete register on CD-ROM, 2010, ISBN 978-3-428-11205-0
- Stadium - Tecklenborg . 2013, ISBN 978-3-428-11206-7
- Tecklenburg - Vocke . 2016, ISBN 978-3-428-11207-4
- Vockerodt - Wettiner. 2020, ISBN 978-3-428-11208-1
- Wettstein - Z (in preparation for 2023)
- Hans Günter Hockerts: From the national monument to the biographical portal. The history of ADB and NDB 1858–2008. In: Lothar Gall (ed.): "... for German history and source research." 150 years of historical commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-486-58286-4 , pp. 229-269.
- Hans Günter Hockerts: From the national monument to the biographical portal, ADB and NDB. In: Bavarian Academy of Sciences (Hrsg.): Akademie current . Issue 02, 2008, pp. 19-22. ( PDF ; 265 kB)
- "If the first volume recorded personalities up to the year of their death in 1952, the reference date moved forward - for the 23rd volume up to July 1, 2006." Hans Günter Hockerts: From national memorial to biographical portal, ADB and NDB. In: Bavarian Academy of Sciences (Hrsg.): Akademie current . Issue 02, 2008, pp. 19-22. ( PDF ; 265 kB)
- Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences: Annual Report 2014 , p. 18
- Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences: Annual Report 2018 , p. 18