An award is understood to be an honor or appreciation that a person, group, organization or company receives for outstanding performance in a certain area. Many awards honor the areas of sport , art , culture , science , business or civic engagement .
The awards include prices (Engl. Awards ) of all kinds, decorations and medals , titles or other tributes.
In contrast, negative awards are often given for particularly bad or despicable achievements.
The award usually takes place as part of a celebration, at which a certificate and, if necessary, other items such as trophies , memorial plaques , medals , orders , badges or ribbons are handed over as an external sign for the award. In special cases a laudator (sometimes several laudators) gives a speech on the person to be honored.
An award can be endowed with a monetary award for the recipient, such as the Nobel Prize or the Pulitzer Prize . An award can also simply be a public recognition of excellence without there being an award ceremony or an award ceremony.
Some awards are given in a certain rhythm, for example annually (such as the Nobel Prize, on the anniversary of the founder's death), while others are given irregularly and only on an occasional basis (such as the Federal Cross of Merit ).
Awards can in principle be given by any person or institution. The reputation of the award is generally dependent on the status of the organization or institution, the criteria for the award and the composition of the committee that decides on the award ( jury ).
In the case of the German Design Award from the German Design Council , candidates have to pay “participation fees” and the winner is obliged to submit between 3150 and 4450 euros. It has not been proven whether the "profit" also pays off economically.
In sports, it is often the case, immediately after the competition, a so-called. "Flower Ceremony" ( Engl. For "Flower Ceremony") hold. The three (rarely also six) best athletes are presented to the audience and receive a bouquet of flowers. The medals are then awarded at a separate event, which is usually held on the same day in the evening.
Well-known awards ( selection )
- Abel price
- Birgit Nilsson Prize
- Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics
- Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences
- Emmy Awards
- Golden Globe Award
- Grammy Awards
- Nobel Prize
- Physics Frontiers Prize
- Right Livelihood Award
In German-speaking countries (D – A – CH):
- 1 live crown
- Aachen Peace Prize
- Bavarian television award
- Bavarian film award
- Bavarian Order of Merit
- German Comedy Award
- German television award
- German film award
- German sustainability award
- Echo (1992-2018)
- Ring of Honor of the Rhineland
- Decoration of honor for services to the Republic of Austria
- Peace Prize of the German Book Trade
- Georg Büchner Prize
- Golden picture of woman
- Golden hen
- Golden camera
- Grimme Prize
- Hessian Order of Merit
- Ingeborg Bachmann Prize
- Lower Saxony Order of Merit
- Opus classic
- Saarland Order of Merit
- Saxon Order of Merit
- Salzburg bull
- Sportsman of the year
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Order of Merit of the Free State of Thuringia
- Order of Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg
- Order of Merit of the State of Berlin
- Order of Merit of the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- Order of Merit of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
- Order of Merit of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate
- Order of Merit of the State of Saxony-Anhalt
- Order of Merit of the State of Schleswig-Holstein
A special form are so-called negative prices (also called abusive prices), which in contrast to the above Awards for which are considered negative by the award winner, i.e. particularly bad or despicable achievements. For example:
- Big Brother Awards are given to those who in a special and lasting way impair the privacy of people or have made or made personal data accessible to third parties.
- Golden Raspberry , a satirical counterpart to the Oscar that "honors" the worst achievements in acting, scripting, songwriting, directing and films.
- Ig Nobel Prize , a satirical counterpart to the Nobel Prize .
- Goldenes Brett , a satirical award that honors the most bizarre, hair-raising, brazen pseudoscientific nonsense contribution of the year in the German-speaking world.
- Goldener windbag , a negative prize awarded by the German non-profit ideal association foodwatch .
Often companies and little-known organizations and associations award a prize to celebrities in order to be mentioned in the media and in turn to benefit from the recognition of the award winner.