Hans-Christof Kraus (born November 3, 1958 in Göttingen ) is a German historian and university professor .
Hans-Christof Kraus studied history, German literature and philosophy at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen from 1978 to 1984 . In the 1980s he was editor of the young conservative magazine Phönix . In the late 1980s and 1990s, he wrote articles for the right-wing conservative magazines Etappe and Criticón , as Niklas Weber, a student assistant at the Institute for History at the Humboldt University in Berlin, wrote in an article in the Süddeutsche Zeitung , which Benjamin Hasselhorn wrote as "One-sided and distorting" was criticized.
In 1992 he submitted his dissertation there to Rudolf von Thadden in the field of modern history on the Prussian conservative Ernst Ludwig von Gerlach . 1994/1995 Kraus was a scholarship holder at the Historisches Kolleg in Munich. In 2002 he completed his habilitation at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich with a study on the English constitution and political thinking in the Ancien Régime 1689–1789 . The work was reviewed by Horst Möller , Eckhart Hellmuth and Hans-Michael Körner . After teaching at the German University of Administrative Sciences at Speyer , the University of Stuttgart , the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the University of Jena took place in 2007, the appeal to the Chair of Modern History at the University of Passau .
Kraus' work and research focuses on German and English history from the 18th to the 20th centuries, the history of politics, the history of the constitution , the history of political ideas, and the history of education and science . Kraus has received numerous scientific honors and memberships for his research. Kraus is a member of several historical commissions, such as the Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences , the Commission for the History of Parliamentarism and Political Parties , the Historical Commission in Berlin and the Association for Constitutional History . He is a board member of the Prussian Historical Commission . He is the editor of the Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) and co-editor of various historical journals a. a. the magazine for modern legal history , the yearbook Political Thinking and the Passau yearbook . In 2006 he was awarded the Historians Prize of the Erich and Erna Kronauer Foundation .
- The turning point of the philosopher of Sanssouci . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2017, ISBN 978-3-428-15390-9 .
- Bismarck. Size - limits - performance. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2015, ISBN 978-3-608-94861-5 .
- Versailles and the consequences. Foreign policy between revisionism and understanding (1919–1933) (= German history in the 20th century. Vol. 4). Be.bra-Verlag, Berlin-Brandenburg 2013, ISBN 978-3-89809-404-7 (As licensed edition: (= Federal Agency for Political Education. Series of publications. 1540). Federal Agency for Political Education, Bonn 2014, ISBN 978-3- 8389-0540-2 ).
- Culture, education and science in the 19th century (= Encyclopedia of German History . Vol. 82). Oldenbourg, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-486-55727-5 .
- The end of old Germany. Crisis and dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation 1806 (= scientific treatises and speeches on philosophy, politics and intellectual history. Vol. 37). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2006, ISBN 3-428-12217-8 (2nd, corrected edition. Ibid 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-12492-3 ).
- English Constitution and Political Thought in the Ancien Régime. 1689 to 1789 (= publications of the German Historical Institute London. Vol. 60). Oldenbourg, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-486-57908-8 (also: Munich, University, habilitation paper, 2001/2002).
- Theodor Anton Heinrich Schmalz. (1760-1831). Jurisprudence, university politics and journalism in the field of tension between revolution and restoration (= studies on European legal history. Vol. 124). Klostermann, Frankfurt am Main 1999, ISBN 3-465-03047-8 .
- Ernst Ludwig von Gerlach. Political thinking and acting of a Prussian old conservative (= series of publications of the Historical Commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. Vol. 53). 2 volumes. Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, Göttingen 1994, ISBN 3-525-36046-0 (also: Göttingen, Universität, Dissertation, 1992).
- Fritz Hartung. Correspondence of a historian between the German Empire and the second post-war period. Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-428-15731-0 .
- Ernst Ludwig von Gerlach : God's grace and freedom. Selected political writings from the years 1863 to 1866. Edited with an afterword. Karolinger, Vienna a. a. 2011, ISBN 978-3-85418-141-5 .
- Conservative politicians in Germany. A selection of biographical portraits from two centuries. Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 1995, ISBN 3-428-08193-5 .
- Literature by and about Hans-Christof Kraus in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Hans-Christof Kraus in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Hans-Christof Kraus" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Short biography and reviews of works by Hans-Christof Kraus at perlentaucher.de
- Page from Hans-Christof Kraus at the University of Passau
- Hans-Christof Kraus at Be.bra Verlag
- ↑ Niklas Weber: Niklas Weber: How closely conservatives and right-wing radicals are entangled . In: sueddeutsche.de , March 3, 2020 .
- ^ Comment by Benjamin Hasselhorn .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd November 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goettingen|