Calendar overview 1898
Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders storm San Juan Hill
in the Spanish-American War .
Émile Zola publishes his open letter J'accuse
on the Dreyfus affair .
|HG Wells writes the novel War of the Worlds .|
Luigi Lucheni murders the Austrian Empress Elisabeth
with a file.
|1898 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1346/47 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1890/91 (September 10-11)|
|Baha'i calendar||54/55 (March 20/21)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1303/04 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2441/42 (southern Buddhism); 2440/41 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1260/61 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4231/32 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1276/77 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1315/16 (May 21/22)|
Meiji 31 (
明治 31 年 );
|Jewish calendar||5658/59 (September 16-17)|
|Coptic calendar||1614/15 (10/11 September)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1313/14 (March 1st)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2208/09 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2209/10 (New Year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2440/41 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1954/55 (April)|
Politics and world events
Spanish-American War and Filipino Revolution
- February 15 : The explosion and sinking of the US warship USS Maine in the port of Havana , which, contrary to Spanish protests, paid a so-called friendship visit to the Spanish colony, gives the USA an opportunity to wage war against Spain .
- April 25 : The US Congress declares that the United States has been at war with Spain since April 21 . The Spanish-American War begins.
- May 1 : In the Battle of Manila Bay , the US Asia Squadron defeats the Spanish Pacific Fleet in the first major combat operation of the Spanish-American War .
- June 12th : General Emilio Aguinaldo declares the independence of the Philippines from Spain in the course of the Philippine Revolution .
- June 21 : The island of Guam is bloodless conquered by US troops during the Spanish-American War .
- July 3 : In the naval battle of Santiago de Cuba in the Spanish-American War, the technically superior US Navy destroys the entire Spanish Atlantic fleet .
- November 29th : The Malolos Revolutionary Congress passes the constitution of the Philippines .
- December 10th : The Peace of Paris ends the Spanish-American War : The USA receives Puerto Rico and the Philippines and occupies Cuba, which has become formally independent . Spain thus loses its last overseas colonies.
United States of America / Hawaii
- July 7 : The United States approves the annexation of Hawaii by means of a joint resolution drawn up by Francis G. Newlands between the Senate and the House of Representatives and establishes the Hawaii Territory .
- August 12 : The Republic of Hawaii is formally annexed to the United States . For them, the archipelago was of great strategic importance in the Spanish-American War . There is resistance and protests against the annexation among the locals .
- March 28 : The German Reichstag resolves in the Naval Act to build a battleship fleet, thus triggering a sea arms race with Great Britain .
- April 30th : The German Naval Association is founded in Berlin, which aims to arouse understanding and interest in the Imperial Navy among the people . The government in the Reichsmarineamt under Alfred von Tirpitz favors the building of battleships .
- June 16 : In the election for the German Reichstag , the Social Democrats win at the expense of the so-called " cartel parties ".
- June 17 : The Prussian House of Representatives passes a law ( Lex Arons ) that denies social democrats the teaching post at universities . Thus, after a few months, it was possible to remove the private lecturer Leo Arons from the Berlin Royal University.
- October 11 : The German Kaiser Wilhelm II sets off on a six and a half week trip to Palestine.
- January 11 : The real culprit in the Dreyfus affair , the heavily indebted Major Ferdinand Walsin-Esterházy , is acquitted in a secret trial in court.
- January 13 : The French author Emile Zola published his to Félix Faure , President of the French Republic , directed open letter J'accuse ( I accuse ) to the Dreyfus affair .
- August 25 : In Heraklion on Crete, the Turks carry out a massacre of the Greek population, which kills several hundred Greeks, the British consul and 17 British soldiers.
- Dec. 9 : On Crete is one year after the end of the Turkish-Greek war of the Cretan State founded by Anglo-French-Russian-Italian protectorate.
Other events in Europe
- September 6th : In the Netherlands , Wilhelmina von Oranien-Nassau becomes queen of the country that has been under the reign of her mother Emma zu Waldeck and Pyrmont since 1890 after she has reached the age of majority .
- September 10th : The Austro-Hungarian Empress Elisabeth is murdered in Geneva by the Italian anarchist Luigi Lucheni with a sharp file. As a result of his action will take place from 24. November bis 21st December the International Conference of Rome for the Social Defense Against Anarchists instead.
- March 6 : Germany signs a 99-year lease agreement with China for the Kiautschou lease area . The administration is to be taken over by the German Imperial Navy Office.
- June 9 : The Chinese Empire leases the New Territories in Hong Kong to Great Britain for 99 years .
- June 11th : Hundred-day reform in China , Dowager Empress Cixi prevails .
- September 22nd : The Chinese Emperor Guangxu is interned in the New Summer Palace by his aunt Cixi
- April 8 : In the Battle of Atbara , a British-Egyptian army defeats 15,000 Sudanese insurgents at the confluence of the Nile and Atbara rivers .
- July 10th : French troops reach Fort Faschoda in Sudan , which has been claimed by England, with the aim of connecting the French colonies in Africa. The Faschoda crisis almost broke out into war between Great Britain and France , until in November the French government gave Major Jean-Baptiste Marchand the order to withdraw.
- September 2 : In the Battle of Omdurman in Sudan , a British - Egyptian army under Horatio Herbert Kitchener defeated the supporters of the Mahdi and ended the Mahdi uprising .
- September 18 : A British gunboat reaches the Sudanese town of Faschoda on the White Nile . The French in the fort there are requested by the British to withdraw. This leads to the Faschoda crisis between the two European colonial powers .
- May 7. bis 18th October : The anniversary exhibition in 1898 at the Vienna Rotunda area is on the occasion of the 50th jubilee Emperor Franz Joseph I organized. The exposition is divided into a commercial and an agricultural and forestry exhibition and presents the latest achievements of industrialization, but also allows a review of the developments of the previous five decades. There are also 30 temporary special exhibitions, such as the small car exhibition of the newly founded Austrian Automobile Club . The Urania Theater is being built by the Syndikat Wiener Urania association, which was founded in the previous year , as the future education center.
- June 15 to July 3 : The first Salon de l'Automobile in Paris, organized by Albert de Dion , presents 232 automobiles .
Patents and trademarks
- July 9 : The “Flora” brand for margarine is entered in the German commercial register.
- August 13 : The Imperial Patent Office granted Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin , the patent number 98590 for a dirigible Luftfahrzug with several successively arranged supporting bodies . The draft for his rigid airship is thereby protected retrospectively to August 31, 1895.
- April 25th : The Rheinisch-Westfälische Elektrizitätswerk AG ( RWE ) is founded by Elektrizitäts-AG, formerly W. Lahmeyer & Co and the German Society for Electrical Enterprises, to supply the city of Essen with electricity.
- June 25 : The Westliche Berliner Vorortbahn AG is founded.
- July 1 : With Hausmüllverwertung München GmbH , Germany's first company for industrial waste separation begins work.
- Aug. 29 : Frank and Charles Seiberling founded in Akron ( Ohio ), the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company . Rubber tires for carriages and bicycles as well as rubber products are the first products manufactured.
- December 6th : The brothers Joseph and Emil Berliner found the Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft in Hanover .
- Foundation of the “Engineering Bureau for Cement-Iron Structures” by the Swiss engineer Eduard Züblin in Strasbourg / Alsace
- The Edeka group is created through the merger of 21 purchasing associations from the German Empire in the Hallesches Tor district in Berlin to form the purchasing cooperative of the grocery stores.
- Founding of the company " Renault Frères" (Renault brothers) by Louis, Fernand and Marcel Renault in France
- Foundation of the later company Schmalbach-Lubeca in Braunschweig
- The German shoe factory ilmia is founded in Stadtilm in Thuringia .
- August 20 : The of Zermatt and the 3089-meter high center of Gornergrat leading Gornergratbahn is opened.
- October 4 : The first Brocken Railway reaches its final destination on the Brocken at an altitude of 1,125 meters on the officially approved remaining stretch . In the winter half of the year until 1950 the trains of the Harz narrow-gauge railways end because of the snow masses in Schierke station .
- December 6th : The Automobile Club of Switzerland is founded in Geneva .
- December 23 : The completed Ammerseebahn of the Royal Bavarian State Railways is officially opened. The first sections of the route opened on June 30th .
- The Egyptian Delta Light Railways starts building its first line.
- The Upper Steel Arch Bridge over Niagara Falls opens to traffic.
- Hamburg is renewing the Scharhörnbake and erecting the highest beacon on the North Sea coast at 29.10 m.
science and technology
- September 20 : Alberto Santos-Dumont flies the first gasoline- powered airship , the Santos-Dumont No. 1 .
- August 22 : The Southern Cross Expedition leaves London on the way to Antarctica .
- August: The German researcher Richard Kandt discovers the source of the northern Nile source river Nyabarongo in Rwanda .
- October 23 : The Foureau-Lamy mission , which lasted almost two years, sets off from Ouargla through the Sahara . The route heads south across the sand sea of the Eastern Great Erg and the Tassili n'Ajjer and Ahaggar mountains into the Aïr mountains .
- November 25th : The German Valdivia expedition for deep-sea exploration succeeds in rediscovering Bouvet Island .
- December 26th : The German explorer Karl Theodor Stöpel was the first to climb Mount Morrison (today: Yushan ), Taiwan's highest mountain at 3,952 m.
- May 30th : The British chemists William Ramsay and Morris William Travers find krypton , one of the noble gases , in the "residue" of evaporated air .
- June 13th : William Ramsay succeeds in isolating the chemical element neon for the first time using fractional distillation .
- July 12th : William Ramsay and Morris William Travers succeed in separating the noble gas xenon from raw krypton .
- July 18 : Pierre and Marie Curie report the discovery of polonium , which is about 100 times as active as uranium.
- November 21 : Pierre and Marie Curie discover together with Gustave Bémont the radium that about 10 6 times as active as uranium. They announce the discovery on December 26th .
- Ferdinand Braun introduces the closed resonant circuit and thus increases the transmission power.
- Ferdinand Braun receives a patent for a device for tuned modulation (it forms the basis of all later transmitter circuits).
- Jonathan Zenneck made the first attempts with wireless telegraphy on German soil in Cuxhaven and thus established marine radio .
- The last living specimen of the royal clothes bird is sighted in Hawaii.
- First publication of the textbook “Guidelines for the zoological internship” by Willy Kükenthal . (Continued to this day: 26th edition 2009.)
- May 2nd : 65 artists found the artist group Berliner Secession . They have come to the conclusion that modern art has no support in existing organizations and their support is lacking.
- May 29th : The first memorial for the composer Anton Bruckner , who died in 1896, is unveiled in Steyr.
Music and theater
- January 5th : The world premiere of the Viennese operetta Der Opernball by Richard Heuberger with the libretto by Victor Léon takes place at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna .
- February 25 : The world premiere of the play Erdgeist by Frank Wedekind takes place in the Krystallpalast in Leipzig , with the author himself as Dr. Is beautiful on the stage.
- March 8th : The world premiere of the tone poem Don Quixote by Richard Strauss takes place in Cologne's Gürzenich with the conductor Franz Wüllner . It is based on the novel Don Quixote de la Mancha by the Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes and is composed in the form of a Sinfonia concertante , with a solo cello representing the figure of Don Quixote , as well as viola, tenor tube and bass clarinet soloists, the Sancho Pansa represent.
- April: The Neapolitan musician and composer Eduardo Di Capua writes the song 'O sole mio .
- September 19 : In Stockholm , after a construction period of around six years , the Royal Opera House , newly built in neoclassical style by Axel Anderberg , opens in the presence of King Oskar II . Is played Adolf Fredrik Lindblad Opera Frondörerna (The rebels) .
- October 20 : The musical comedy The Departure of Eugen d'Albert based on the literary model of the same name by August Ernst von Steigentesch is premiered in Frankfurt am Main .
- November 18 : The world premiere of the musical tragedy Don Quixote by Wilhelm Kienzl takes place in Berlin.
- December 14 : The Vienna Volksoper opens under the name Kaiser-Jubiläums-Stadttheater on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the throne of Franz Joseph I. The emperor stayed away from the opening because of the murder of his wife.
- Completion of the Villa Stuck
- Completion of the Vienna Secession building
- Founding of the Helms Museum , today's Hamburg Archaeological Museum
- August 5 : In the encyclical Spesse volte , Pope Leo XIII calls out . on the clergy in Italy to face the repression of Catholic institutions.
- September 5th : The last time an encyclical was written by Pope Leo XIII. the rosary on the subject. According to the statement in Diuturni temporis, the believers should cultivate prayer with great zeal with the help of the prayer chain.
- July 4th : The French passenger steamer La Bourgogne is rammed by an English sailing ship in the fog on the coast of Nova Scotia and sinks. Of the 730 people on board, only 165 survive.
- October 13 : The British liner Mohegan rams a reef off the coast of Cornwall and sinks within 12 minutes. 106 people die. It is the greatest accident in the history of the Atlantic Transport Line .
- November 26th : The American liner Portland sinks off Cape Ann in a severe storm that struck the New England coast and claimed more than 450 lives . All 192 people on board are killed. The storm is therefore called The Portland Gale (roughly "The Portland Storm").
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
nature and environment
- March 26th : In the Transvaal , Paul Kruger and the Sabie Game Reserve create the first sanctuary for animals on the African continent . The game reserve was renamed Kruger National Park in 1926 .
- January 8th : The 1st Vienna Workers' Football Club is renamed SK Rapid Wien
- March 14th : The Berner Sport Club Young Boys is founded.
- March 16 : The Italian football federation Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio is founded in Turin to organize matches and championships.
- May 1st : FC Thun is founded.
- June 27th : Joshua Slocum is the first single-handed sailor to complete a circumnavigation of the world and arrives in Newport (Rhode Island) with his boat Spray after a three-year journey .
- November 2 : In a final of the American football teams of the University of Minnesota and Northwestern University is the Cheerleading born.
Historical maps and views
- January 1 : Marta Fuchs , German concert and opera singer († 1974 )
- January 1 : Viktor Ullmann , Austrian-Czech composer, conductor and pianist († 1944 )
- January 1 : André de Victor , French racing car driver († 1955 )
- January 2 : Gerard Pieter Adolfs , Dutch-East Indian painter and architect († 1968 )
- January 3 : Charles E. Ackerly , American wrestler († 1982 )
- January 3 : John Loder , British-American actor († 1988 )
- January 3 : Luís Carlos Prestes , Brazilian politician († 1990 )
- January 3 : Josef de Vries , German Jesuit and philosopher († 1989 )
- January 4 : Friedrich Lindemann , German writer and journalist († 1950 )
- January 4 : Rudolf Senti , Liechtensteiner sports shooter († 1958 )
- January 5th : Josef Engling , German member of the Schoenstatt Movement († 1918 )
- January 6 : James Fitzmaurice , Irish pilot († 1965 )
- January 7th : Gerónimo Baqueiro Foster , Mexican musicologist and composer († 1967 )
- January 7th : Al Bowlly , South African pop and jazz singer († 1941 )
- January 7 : Sigmund Graff , German writer († 1979 )
- January 7th : Raphaël Manso de Zuñiga , Spanish racing car driver († 1962 )
- January 8 : Gerhard Bienert , German actor († 1986 )
- January 8 : Dutch Lauer , American football player († 1978 )
- January 8th : Pierre Salles , French racing driver
- January 11 : Oskar Matzner , German politician († 1980 )
- January 13 : Jan Cyž , Sorbian lawyer and publisher, District Administrator of Bautzen († 1985 )
- January 13 : Kaj Munk , Danish pastor, poet, opponent of Hitler and martyr († 1944 )
- January 15 : Hans Kippenberger , German politician († 1937 )
- January 15 : Rachel Korn , Yiddish-speaking poet and writer († 1982 )
- January 15 : Martha Saalfeld , German poet († 1976 )
- January 16 : Paul Jappe , American football player († 1989 )
- January 17th : Jerzy Lefeld , Polish composer, pianist and music teacher († 1980 )
- January 17th : Karl E. Schedl , Austrian zoologist and forest scientist († 1979 )
- January 17 : Carl Maria Splett , German clergyman, Bishop of Danzig, administrator of the Polish diocese of Kulm († 1964 )
- January 22nd : Ferdinand Kramer , German architect († 1985 )
- January 22nd : Sergei Michailowitsch Eisenstein , Soviet director († 1948 )
- January 23 : Hermann Arendt , German politician († 1966 )
- January 23 : Randolph Scott , American actor († 1987 )
- January 24th : Karl Hermann Frank , German National Socialist politician († 1946 )
- January 25 : Anton Diel , German politician († 1959 )
- January 26th : Hildegard Domizlaff , German sculptor, woodcut and jewelry artist († 1987 )
- January 26 : Walter Frey , Swiss pianist and music teacher († 1985 )
- January 26th : Hermann Hänchen , German discus thrower († unknown)
- January 28 : Erik Adolf Efraim Abrahamsson , Swedish long jumper and ice hockey player († 1965 )
- January 29 : Alphonse Auclair , French racing car driver († 1969 )
- February 1 : Leila Denmark , American medic († 2012 )
- February 2 : Ossi Oswalda , German actress († 1947 )
- February 3 : Alvar Aalto , Finnish architect and designer († 1976 )
- February 3 : Lil Hardin Armstrong , American jazz pianist, singer and composer († 1971 )
- February 3 : Heinrich Auge , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1977 )
- February 3 : Carlos Raygada , Peruvian literary and music critic († 1953 )
- February 4 : Magdalena Aebi , Swiss philosopher († 1980 )
- February 4th : Josef Blum , Austrian soccer player and coach († 1956 )
- February 5 : Ozaki Shirō , Japanese writer († 1964 )
- February 5 : Will Shade , American blues musician († 1966 )
- February 6 : Erna Sack , German singer (soprano) († 1972 )
- February 7 : Kurt Kolle , German psychiatrist and author († 1975 )
- February 9 : Wilhelm Ahrens , German watchmaker, editor, resistance fighter against National Socialism, head of office and politician († 1974 )
- February 9 : Franz Gurk , German politician († 1984 )
- February 9 : Yagi Jūkichi , Japanese writer († 1927 )
- February 10 : Bertolt Brecht , German playwright and poet († 1956 )
- February 10 : Elsa Chauvel , Australian actress († 1983 )
- February 10 : Joseph Kessel , French journalist and writer († 1979 )
- February 11 : Wilhelm Heuber , German Nazi politician and lawyer († 1957 )
- February 11 : Leó Szilárd , Hungarian-American physicist and molecular biologist († 1964 )
- February 12 : Roy Harris , American composer († 1979 )
- February 13 : Proinsias Mac Aodhagáin , Irish politician († 1983 )
- February 13 : Alexander Pavlovich Antonov , Soviet actor († 1962 )
- February 13 : Josef Steib , German painter and etcher († 1957 )
- February 14 : Alois Podhajsky , Bosnian rider, head of the Spanish Riding School († 1973 )
- February 14 : Fritz Zwicky , Swiss physicist and astronomer († 1974 )
- February 15 : Allen Woodring , American athlete († 1982 )
- February 15 : Antonio de Curtis (Toto) , Italian actor († 1967 )
- February 17 : Bruno Leddin , German politician († 1951 )
- February 18 : Briton Hadden , American publisher († 1929 )
- February 18 : Enzo Ferrari , Italian racing driver and founder of the racing car manufacturer Ferrari († 1988 )
- February 19 : Waldemar Kraft , German politician († 1977 )
- February 21 : Irving Cohn , American songwriter († 1961 )
- February 21 : Ernst Meyer , Swiss ancient historian († 1975 )
- February 22 : Anton de Kom , Afro-American resistance fighter and author († 1945 )
- February 23 : Francesco Fasola , Italian Archbishop († 1988 )
- February 24 : Gerald Frank Anderson , British chess composer and fighter pilot († 1983 )
- February 24th : Hubert Houben , German athlete († 1956 )
- February 24 : Kurt Tank , German engineer († 1983 )
- February 25 : William Thomas Astbury , English physicist and molecular biologist († 1961 )
- February 25 : Camille Bernard , Canadian singer, teacher and actress († 1984 )
- February 26th : Karl Astel , German "race researcher" and "race hygienist" († 1945 )
- February 26 : Konstantin Biebl , Czech poet († 1951 )
- February 26th : Peter Harlan , German lutenist and instrument maker († 1966 )
- February 27 : Oskar Audörsch , German major general († 1991 )
- February 27 : Bronisław Rutkowski , Polish organist, musicologist and music teacher († 1964 )
- March 1 : Homer A. Holt , American politician († 1975 )
- March 1 : Wilhelm Pramme , German painter († 1965 )
- March 3 : Emil Artin , Austrian mathematician († 1962 )
- March 3 : Aenne Biermann , German photographer († 1933 )
- March 3 : Humberto Viscarra Monje , Bolivian composer († 1971 )
- March 3 : Hans Seischab , Austrian-German professor of business administration († 1965 )
- March 3 : Thomas R. Underwood , American politician († 1956 )
- March 4 : Hans Krebs , officer and chief of staff of the Wehrmacht († 1945 )
- March 4th : Dora Labbette , English singer († 1984 )
- March 4th : René Leroy , French flautist and music teacher († 1985 )
- March 5 : Jan Oosthoek , Dutch football player († 1973 )
- March 5 : Ben Selvin , American band leader († 1980 )
- March 5 : Zhou Enlai , Chinese Prime Minister and leader of the CPC († 1976 )
- March 5 : Ōkawa Misao , Japanese age record holder († 2015 )
- March 6th : Therese Giehse , German actress († 1975 )
- March 6 : Gus Sonnenberg , American football player, wrestler († 1944 )
- March 7 : Jack Albert Arbor , Canadian ice hockey player and coach († 1973 )
- March 8 : Theophilus E. Dönges , President of South Africa († 1968 )
- March 8 : Karl Weber , German politician († 1985 )
- March 9 : Luther Hodges , American politician († 1974 )
- March 11 : Amédé Ardoin , American musician († 1941 )
- March 12 : Tian Han , Chinese writer, known for his dramas, operas and film manuscripts († 1968 )
- March 13 : Henry Hathaway , American film director († 1985 )
- March 16 : Jakob Haringer , German writer († 1948 )
- March 16 : Alina de Silva , Peruvian singer and actress († 1972 )
- March 17 : Jakob Ackeret , Swiss aerodynamicist († 1981 )
- March 17th : André Pisart , Belgian racing driver († 1952 )
- March 17 : Yokomitsu Ri'ichi , Japanese writer († 1947 )
- March 18 : Ofelia Nieto , Spanish singer († 1931 )
- March 18 : Cardinal Lawrence Shehan , Archbishop of Baltimore († 1984 )
- March 22nd : Dora Puelma , Chilean painter († 1972 )
- March 23 : Roger Delano , French racing car driver († 1966 )
- March 25 : Kon Tōkō , Japanese writer and politician († 1977 )
- March 26 : Paul Schmidt , German inventor († 1976 )
- March 27 : Herb Stein , American football player († 1980 )
- March 27 : Josef Müller , German politician and member of parliament in the Weimar Republic († 1979 )
- March 28 : Max zu Schaumburg-Lippe , Austrian racing car driver († 1974 )
- March 29 : Fritz Bache , German football player († 1959 )
- March 30th : Heinz Risse , German writer († 1989 )
- March 31 : Kurt Angermann , German administrative lawyer († 1978 )
- April 1 : Jakob Adlhart , German-Austrian sculptor († 1985 )
- April 1 : Joe Alexander , American doctor, American football player and coach († 1975 )
- April 1 : Zales Ecton , American politician († 1961 )
- April 1 : William James Sidis , American genius († 1944 )
- April 3 : Henry Luce , American publisher († 1967 )
- April 4 : Marie Ahlers , German politician († 1968 )
- April 4 : Theodor Habicht , German politician († 1944 )
- April 4 : Philipp Lersch , German psychologist († 1972 )
- April 8 : Therese Neumann , German (Bavarian) peasant girl and mystic († 1962 )
- April 9 : Curly Lambeau , American football player and coach († 1965 )
- April 9 : Julius Patzak , Austrian opera and lied singer († 1974 )
- April 9 : Paul Robeson , American actor, singer, athlete, author and civil rights activist († 1976 )
- April 10 : José Loreto Arismendi , Venezuelan lawyer and politician († 1979 )
- April 10 : Fred Hall , American musician and conductor († 1954 )
- April 11 : Robert d'Escourt Atkinson , British astronomer, physicist and inventor († 1982 )
- April 11 : Conny Méndez , Venezuelan actress, painter and caricaturist, writer and composer and founder of the Movimiento de Metafísica Cristiana († 1979 )
- April 13 : Chandulal Shah , Indian film director and founder of Ranjit Studios († 1975 )
- April 14 : Harold Stephen Black , American electronics engineer († 1983 )
- April 15 : Peter DePaolo , American racing driver († 1980 )
- April 15 : Ria Ginster , German singer and vocal teacher († 1985 )
- April 15 : Flemming Weis , Danish composer († 1981 )
- April 16 : Hijikata Yoshi , Japanese theater director († 1959 )
- April 17 : Hans Blöcker , German politician († 1988 )
- April 17 : Armand Hiebner , Swiss music critic and choir director († 1990 )
- April 19 : Constance Talmadge , American actress of the silent and early talkies era († 1973 )
- April 20 : Emmanuel Bove , French writer († 1945 )
- April 20 : Benjamin Carrión , Ecuadorian writer († 1979 )
- April 20 : Jacob Maarten van Bemmelen , Dutch legal scholar († 1982 )
- April 21 : Otto Brunner , Austrian historian († 1982 )
- April 21 : Steve Owen , American football player and coach († 1964 )
- April 22nd : Martin Loibl , German politician († 1951 )
- April 23 : Lucius D. Clay , American military man and politician († 1978 )
- April 23 : Edwin Erich Dwinger , German writer († 1981 )
- April 23 : Justin Abraham Najmy , Syrian bishop in the USA († 1968 )
- April 25 : Edmund Kolbe , German painter († 1983 )
- April 25 : Arthur Mertins , German politician († 1979 )
- April 28 : Grantley Herbert Adams , Barbadian politician († 1971 )
- April 26 : Vicente Aleixandre , Spanish poet and Nobel Prize for Literature († 1984 )
- April 26 : Werner Pledath , German actor and voice actor († 1965)
- April 28 : Ernst Lemmer , German politician († 1970 )
- April 29 : Rudolf Dassler , German entrepreneur, founder of the sporting goods manufacturer Puma († 1974 )
- May 1 : Eugene Robert Black , American bank manager, 3rd President of the World Bank († 1992 )
- May 3 : Golda Meïr , Israeli politician († 1978 )
- May 5th : Alfred van Nüß , German chess master († 1961 )
- May 6 : Konrad Henlein , German-Czech politician († 1945 )
- May 8 : František Čech , Czech puppeteer and puppeteer writer († 1951 )
- May 8 : Hans Friedrich Rohner , Swiss painter († 1972 )
- May 8 : Alojzije Stepinac , Yugoslav Roman Catholic clergyman, Archbishop of Zagreb and Cardinal († 1960 )
- May 10 : Ariel Durant , American writer († 1981 )
- May 10 : Herbert Elwell , American composer and music teacher († 1974 )
- May 10 : Rudolph Schönheimer , German biochemist († 1941 )
- May 13 : Ernő Erbstein , Hungarian football player and coach († 1949 )
- May 13 : Ernst Gaste , German figure skater
- May 14 : Josef Adolf , Czechoslovak Nordic skier († 1951 )
- May 14 : Melvin Maas , American politician († 1964 )
- May 15 : Arletty , French actress († 1992 )
- May 15 : Richard W. Leche , American politician († 1965 )
- May 16 : Tamara de Lempicka , Polish painter († 1980 )
- May 17 : Lama Anagarika Govinda , German interpreter of Buddhism († 1985 )
- May 17 : Karl Mauss , German officer († 1959 )
- May 17 : Hans Winkler , German motorcycle racer († 1936 )
- May 18 : Alfred Eduard Frauenfeld , German National Socialist politician († 1977 )
- May 19 : Julius Evola , Italian cultural philosopher († 1974 )
- May 21 : Walter Muschg , Swiss literary historian († 1965 )
- May 21 : Karel Hába , Czech composer († 1972 )
- May 22 : Lucy Doraine , Hungarian silent film star († 1989 )
- May 23 : Georgios Grivas , Cypriot patriot († 1974 )
- May 23 : Josef Terboven , Gauleiter of Essen and Reich Commissioner († 1945 )
- May 23 : Heinrich Zillich , German writer and poet († 1988 )
- May 25 : Robert Aron , French historian and essayist († 1975 )
- May 25 : Mischa Levitzki , American pianist († 1941 )
- May 26 : Ernst Bacon , American composer, conductor, pianist and music teacher († 1990 )
- May 27 : Adolf Wingler , German lawyer († 1986 )
- May 25 : Gustav Regulator , German writer († 1963 )
- May 31 : Johan Brouwer , Dutch author, Romanist, Hispanicist, translator and resistance fighter († 1943 )
- May 31 : Georg Singer , German politician and anti-fascist († 1942 )
- June 5 : Federico García Lorca , Spanish author († 1936 )
- June 5 : Hans Ambs , German politician († 1962 )
- June 6 : Walter Abel , American actor († 1987)
- June 6th : Ninette de Valois , Irish classical ballet dancer († 2001 )
- June 7th : Johann Daniel Achelis , German physiologist and medical historian († 1963 )
- June 8 : José Perotti , Chilean painter and sculptor († 1956 )
- June 9 : Curzio Malaparte , Italian writer and journalist († 1957 )
- June 9 : Luigi Fagioli , Italian racing driver († 1952 )
- June 9 : Leo Elthon , American politician († 1967 )
- June 9 : Oskar Joost , German musician († 1941 )
- June 10 : Marie Auguste Antoinette Friederike Alexandra Hilda Luise Princess of Anhalt , German noblewoman († 1983 )
- June 12 : Ludwig Friedrich Barthel , German narrator and essayist († 1962 )
- June 12 : Mikhail Jefimowitsch Kolzow , Soviet columnist and journalist († 1940 )
- June 15 : Hubertus Strughold , German aviation physician († 1986 )
- June 17 : Carl Hermann , German professor of crystallography († 1961 )
- June 17th : MC Escher , Dutch artist and graphic designer († 1972 )
- June 18 : Samuel Elzevier de Jongh , Dutch pharmacologist († 1976 )
- June 19 : Benno von Arent , German architect and "Reich stage designer" in the Third Reich († 1956 )
- June 19 : Paul Müller-Zurich , Swiss composer († 1993 )
- June 20 : Kaspar Aßhoff , German association official († 1945 )
- June 22nd : Werner Adams , German railway engineer († after 1967)
- June 22nd : Erich Maria Remarque , German author († 1970 )
- June 26 : Wilhelm Emil Messerschmitt , German aircraft designer and entrepreneur († 1978 )
- June 26 : Ernst Nebhut , German writer, librettist and screenwriter († 1974 )
- June 26 : Henri Théodore Pigozzi , French-Italian businessman and industrialist († 1964 )
- June 27 : Johann Blankemeyer , German National Socialist politician († 1982 )
- June 27 : Alja Rachmanowa , Russian writer († 1991 )
- June 29th : Yvonne Lefébure , French pianist († 1986 )
- July 1 : Eric Ross Arthur , Canadian architect and author († 1982 )
- July 2 : Heinrich Schulte , German psychiatrist († 1983 )
- July 2 : Hugh Latimer Dryden , American scientist († 1965 )
- July 3 : Erich Akt , German politician († unknown)
- July 3 : Martin David , German-Dutch legal historian of the Orient and papyrologist († 1986 )
- July 4th : Gulzarilal Nanda , Indian politician († 1998 )
- July 4 : Gertrude Weaver , American supercentenarian († 2015 )
- July 5 : Aziz Suryal Atiya , Egyptian coptologist and historian († 1988 )
- July 5 : Henri Lapierre , French racing car driver († unknown)
- July 6 : Hanns Eisler , German composer († 1962 )
- July 6th : Helene Wessel , German politician, one of the four "Mothers of the Basic Law" († 1969 )
- July 7 : Edward Curtiss , American film editor († 1970 )
- July 7th : Germaine Malépart , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1963 )
- July 8 : May Picqueray , French resistance fighter and anarchist († 1983 )
- July 9 : Johannes Sigfred Andersen , Norwegian smuggler, criminal and resistance fighter († 1970 )
- July 9 : Petar Gabrowski , Bulgarian politician († 1945 )
- July 11 : EW Emo , Austrian film director († 1975 )
- July 11th : Gregor Pinke , German resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1941 )
- July 14 : Happy Chandler , American politician († 1991 )
- July 14 : Otto Krone , German actor († 1974 )
- July 17 : Berenice Abbott , American photographer († 1991 )
- July 18 : August von Finck senior , German banker († 1980 )
- July 19 : Herbert Marcuse , German-American philosopher and sociologist († 1979 )
- July 19 : Juan Bautista Plaza , Venezuelan composer († 1965 )
- July 20 : Anton Bornefeld , German Catholic priest († 1980 )
- July 21 : Sara Carter , American country singer († 1979 )
- July 22nd : Alexander Calder , American sculptor (Mobiles) († 1976 )
- July 22 : Stephen Vincent Benét , American writer († 1943 )
- July 23 : Jacob Marschak , American economist and scientist († 1977 )
- July 23 : Karl August von Thurn und Taxis , German nobleman, tenth head of the House of Thurn and Taxis († 1982 )
- July 24th : Wilhelm Armbrecht , German politician († 1972 )
- July 24 : Roman Chwalek , Minister for Labor of the GDR († 1974 )
- July 25 : Charles Noble Arden-Clarke , British colonial administrator († 1962 )
- July 27 : Lena Amsel , German dancer and actress († 1929 )
- July 27 : Renato Balestrero , Italian racing car driver († 1948 )
- July 29 : Anthony John Arkell , British Egyptologist († 1980 )
- July 29 : Isidor Isaac Rabi , American physicist († 1988 )
- July 30 : Henry Moore , English sculptor and painter († 1986 )
- July 31 : Horst von Mellenthin , German artillery general († 1977 )
- July 31 : Karl Skraup , Austrian actor († 1958 )
- August 3 : Herbert Behrens-Hangeler , German painter, graphic artist and writer († 1981 )
- August 3 : Ildebrando Antoniutti , Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1974 )
- August 4th : Ernesto Maserati , Italian racing driver, engineer and entrepreneur († 1975 )
- August 5 : Roman Richard Atkielski , American Auxiliary Bishop († 1969 )
- August 5 : Gustav Canaval , Austrian journalist († 1959 )
- August 5 : Piero Sraffa , Italian economist († 1983 )
- August 8 : Josef Ecker-Stadlmayr , Austrian politician († 1972 )
- August 8 : Mark Lasarewitsch Levi , Russian author († 1973 )
- August 9 : Lawrence Brooks Hays , American politician († 1981 )
- August 10 : Leyla Achba , princess at the Ottoman court († 1931 )
- August 10 : Tadeusz Dołęga-Mostowicz , Polish journalist and writer († 1939 )
- August 11 : Petur Mohr Dam , Faroese social democratic politician († 1968 )
- August 11 : Karolina Lanckorońska , Polish art historian and writer († 2002 )
- August 12 : Karl Auer , German football player († 1945 )
- August 12 : Oskar Homolka , Austrian-American actor († 1978 )
- August 15 : Jan Brzechwa , Polish poet, author and translator († 1966 )
- August 18 : Werner Bruschke , Prime Minister of Saxony-Anhalt († 1995 )
- August 18 : Gaston Crunelle , French flautist and music teacher († 1990 )
- August 20 : Julius Schaub , Adolf Hitler's longstanding personal chief adjutant († 1967 )
- August 20 : Vilhelm Moberg , Swedish writer († 1973 )
- August 21 : Hans Christian Asmussen , German theologian († 1968 )
- August 21 : Hugh Peterson , American politician († 1961 )
- August 23 : Adolf Ahrens , German entrepreneur and politician († 1974 )
- August 24 : Marianne von Angern , German writer († 1969 )
- August 24 : Fred Rose , American country musician, composer and publicist († 1954 )
- August 24 : Malcolm Cowley , American writer, poet and literary critic († 1989 )
- August 25 : Helmut Hasse , German mathematician, algebraist and number theorist († 1979 )
- August 26 : Eduard Baumgarten , German sociologist († 1982 )
- August 26 : Peggy Guggenheim , American collector and gallery owner († 1979 )
- August 28 : Joe Rooney , American football player († 1979 )
- August 29 : Preston Sturges , American screenwriter and director († 1959 )
- August 30th : Shirley Booth , American actress († 1992 )
- August 31 : Ernst Josef Aufricht , German actor and theater director († 1971 )
- September 1 : Ernst Ahl , German zoologist, ichthyologist and herpetologist († 1943 )
- September 1 : Friedrich Georg Jünger , German poet, narrator and essayist († 1977 )
- September 1 : Franz Paul Koch , German cameraman († 1959 )
- September 2 : Pietro Ferrero , Italian entrepreneur († 1949 )
- September 2 : Alfons Gorbach , Austrian politician and Federal Chancellor († 1972 )
- September 4th : Rodolfo Moleiro , Venezuelan poet († 1970 )
- September 6 : Boris Blinder , American cellist († 1987 )
- September 9 : Styles Bridges , American politician († 1961 )
- September 10 : Franz Xaver Arnold , German theologian and religious scholar († 1969 )
- September 10 : George Eldredge , American actor († 1977 )
- September 10 : Hans Globke , German lawyer in the civil service († 1973 )
- September 10 : Manfred Hausmann , German writer († 1986 )
- September 11th : Otto Reckstat , German industrial worker and union official († 1983 )
- September 12 : August Arnold , film director, film producer and film technology developer († 1983)
- September 12 : Alma Moodie , Australian violinist († 1943 )
- September 13 : Bernard Etté , German conductor, violin instrument († 1973 )
- September 13 : Roger Désormière , French conductor († 1963 )
- September 15 : John Harlan Amen , American prosecutor († 1960 )
- September 15 : Edward Gottlieb , Russian-American entrepreneur († 1979 )
- September 19 : Giuseppe Saragat , Italian President († 1988 )
- September 20 : Ludwig Schneider , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1978 )
- September 21 : Max Rabl , Austrian politician († 1964 )
- September 22 : Karl Pistorius , Austrian opera singer († 1966 )
- September 23 : Franz Xaver Fuhr , German painter († 1973 )
- September 24 : Howard Walter Florey , Australian pathologist († 1968 )
- September 24 : Robert D. Blue , American politician († 1989 )
- September 25 : Walter Henry Judd , American politician († 1994 )
- September 25 : Robert Stauch , German politician († 1981 )
- September 26 : George Gershwin , American composer († 1937 )
- September 27 : Vincent Youmans , American composer († 1946 )
- September 28 : Baconin Borzacchini , Italian racing driver († 1933 )
- September 29 : Trofim Denissowitsch Lyssenko , Ukrainian biologist († 1976 )
- September 30 : Renée Adorée , French actress († 1933 )
- September 30th : Charlotte of Monaco , Monegasque noblewoman, mother of Prince Rainier III. of Monaco († 1977 )
- September 30 : Nikolaus Groß , German trade unionist and resistance fighter, executed by the Nazis († 1945 )
- October 1 : Karl Franz Rankl , Austrian conductor and composer († 1968 )
- October 3 : Leo McCarey , American director, film producer and screenwriter († 1969 )
- October 3 : Adolf Reichwein , German economist and cultural politician († 1944 )
- October 3 : Hans Julius Wolff , German legal scholar († 1976 )
- October 4 : Karl Kollmann , Austrian politician († 1989 )
- October 4 : Jan Liwacz , Polish prisoner in Auschwitz concentration camp († 1980 )
- October 5 : Ervin Šinko , Hungarian writer and professor († 1967 )
- October 5 : Ewald Balser , German actor († 1978 )
- October 6 : Franz Altheim , German ancient historian and classical philologist († 1976 )
- October 6 : Mitchell Leisen , American director, actor and costume designer († 1972 )
- October 6 : André Marandet , French racing car driver († 1976 )
- October 7 : Johann Anetseder , German politician († 1948 )
- October 7 : Jean Grimaldi , Canadian actor, singer and author († 1996 )
- October 7th : Alfred Wallenstein , American conductor and cellist († 1983 )
- October 8 : Hal B. Wallis , American producer († 1986 )
- October 10 : Karl Bielig , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1991 )
- October 10 : Marie-Pierre Kœnig , French general († 1970 )
- October 11 : Edmond Soussa , Egyptian carom player and eleven-time world champion († 1989 )
- October 12 : Hans Georg Klamroth , confidante of the planned assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler on July 20, 1944 († 1944 )
- October 13 : Georg Neumann , German entrepreneur († 1976 )
- October 14 : Maurice Martenot , inventor of the Ondes Martenot († 1980 )
- October 15 : Walt Horan , American politician († 1966 )
- October 15 : Boughera El-Ouafi , Algerian athlete († 1959 )
- October 15 : Günther Ramin , German organist, choir director and composer († 1956 )
- October 17 : Roger Bourcier , French racing car driver († 1959 )
- October 17th : Shinichi Suzuki , Japanese violinist († 1998 )
- October 17 : Simon Vestdijk , Dutch writer († 1971 )
- October 17 : Paul Weitkus , German major general († 1974)
- October 18 : Clemente Biondetti , Italian racing driver († 1955 )
- October 18 : Werner Burri , Swiss ceramist († 1972 )
- October 18 : Lotte Lenya , Austrian-American actress and singer († 1981 )
- October 18 : Tsuboi Shigeji , Japanese writer († 1975 )
- October 20 : Oskar Wacker , German politician († 1972 )
- October 21 : Amadeus , Count of Savoy, Duke of Apulia, 3rd Duke of Aosta, Governor and Viceroy († 1942 )
- October 21 : Paul Brunton , actually Raphael Hurst, English philosopher, mystic and author († 1981 )
- October 21 : Heinrich Walter , German-Russian geobotanist and eco-physiologist († 1989 )
- October 22 : William Quindt , German journalist and writer († 1969 )
- October 25 : Karl Anton , Czech film director, screenwriter and film producer († 1979 )
- October 26 : Jean Grelaud , French veteran of the First World War († 2007 )
- October 28 : František Běhounek , Czech physicist and writer († 1973 )
- October 29 : Ernst Wollweber , Minister for State Security in the GDR († 1967 )
- October 30 : Thomas A. Burke , American politician († 1971 )
- October 30 : Lothar Kreyssig , German judge and founder of Aktion Sühnezeichen († 1986 )
- October 31 : Max Reimann , German politician († 1977 )
- November 1 : Manfred Ackermann , Austrian social democratic politician and trade union official († 1991 )
- November 1 : Sippie Wallace , American blues musician († 1986 )
- November 1 : Arthur Legat , Belgian racing driver († 1960 )
- November 1 : Eugen Mossakowsky , German National Socialist, national revolutionary and editor († 1969 )
- November 2 : Hans Loch , chairman of the LDPD and finance minister of the GDR († 1960 )
- November 6th : Helmuth von Grolman , German soldier and politician († 1977 )
- November 6 : Georg Schnath , German historian († 1989 )
- November 7th : Vadim Borissowitsch Schawrow , Soviet aircraft designer († 1976 )
- November 10 : Martin Jahn , German draftsman, painter and art educator († 1981 )
- November 11th : Hugo Makibi Enomiya-Lassalle , German-Japanese Jesuit and Zen master († 1990 )
- November 12 : Leopold Okulicki , leader of the Polish Home Army († 1946 )
- November 12th : Leon Štukelj , Slovenian gymnast, gold medalist at the Olympic Games († 1999 )
- November 13 : Wallace F. Bennett , American politician († 1993 )
- November 16 : Warren McCulloch , American neurophysiologist and cyberneticist († 1969 )
- November 16 : Elisabeth Zaisser , Minister for Popular Education of the GDR († 1987 )
- November 18 : Joris Ivens , Dutch documentary filmmaker († 1989 )
- November 18 : Poul F. Joensen , Faroese poet († 1970 )
- November 19 : William Sheldon , American physician and psychologist († 1977 )
- November 21 : René Magritte , Belgian surrealist painter († 1967 )
- November 22 : Gabriel González Videla , Chilean politician († 1980 )
- November 22 : Wiley Post , American pilot († 1935 )
- November 23 : Fritz Lange , Minister for National Education of the GDR († 1981 )
- November 23 : Wilhelm Schmidhuber , German politician († 1965 )
- November 24 : Liu Shaoqi , Chairman of the Communist Party of China and President of the People's Republic of China († 1969 )
- November 26 : Paul Gibbert , German politician († 1967 )
- December 3 : Arnold Fischer , German politician († 1972 )
- December 3 : Lew Konstantinowitsch Knipper , Russian composer († 1974 )
- December 3 : Fritz Steuben , German writer († 1981 )
- December 6 : Alfred Eisenstaedt , photo reporter of German origin in the USA († 1995 )
- December 6 : Gunnar Myrdal , Swedish economist and Nobel Prize winner († 1987 )
- December 7th : Ernst Cramer , Swiss gardener and landscape architect († 1980 )
- December 11 : Fritz Mühlenweg , German writer († 1961 )
- December 11 : Joseph-Marie Trinh-Nhu-Khuê , Archbishop of Hanoi and Cardinal († 1978 )
- December 12 : Berthold Jacob , German journalist and pacifist († 1944 )
- December 13 : Gholamali Bayandor , Iranian Rear Admiral († 1941 )
- December 14 : Alfred Au , German football player († 1986 )
- December 15 : Ernst Goldenbaum , Chairman of the DBD and Minister of the GDR († 1990 )
- December 16 : Johannes Semler , German politician († 1973 )
- December 16 : Ján Smrek , Slovak writer and editor († 1982 )
- December 19 : Lee E. Emerson , American politician († 1976 )
- December 19 : Jean Lallemand , Canadian patron († 1987 )
- December 19 : Piet van Wijngaarden , Dutch motorcycle racer († 1950 )
- December 20 : Irene Dunne , American theater and film actress († 1990 )
- December 20 : Lazar Gulkowitsch , Jewish philologist († 1941 )
- December 21 : Helmut Stellrecht , German politician and writer († 1987 )
- December 22nd : Heartley Anderson , American football player and coach († 1978 )
- December 22nd : Karl Geiser , Swiss sculptor, († 1957 )
- December 22nd : Edouard Probst , Swiss racing driver († 1974 )
- December 22nd : Paul Schatz , German anthroposophist, artist, inventor and technician († 1979 )
- December 22nd : Vladimir Alexandrowitsch Fock , Russian physicist († 1974 )
- December 24th : Hans Böttcher , German radio pioneer, radio play director and speaker († 1936 )
- December 24th : Anton Hilbert , German politician († 1986 )
- December 25 : Silvio Sganzini , Swiss linguist and cultural historian († 1972 )
- December 26 : Ernst Fraenkel , German political scientist († 1975 )
- December 27 : Inejirō Asanuma , Japanese politician († 1960 )
- December 28 : Mischa Spoliansky , Russian-British composer († 1985 )
- December 29th : Jeanne Leleu , French composer († 1979 )
- December 30th : Carl Hesberg , German politician († 1977 )
- December 31 : Erich Sauer , German theologian († 1959 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Abū Zahra , Egyptian ʿĀlim († 1974 )
- Abbas Dabylow , Soviet Karakalpak poet († 1970 )
- Annemarie Hansen , German painter († 1982 )
- Alois Lutz , Austrian figure skater († 1918 )
- Najīb ar-Rayyis , Syrian journalist, editor and ideologist († 1952 )
January to March
- January 2nd : Edward Mounier Boxer , British officer and inventor in the field of weapons technology (* 1822 )
- January 8 : Giocondo Storni , Swiss Roman Catholic clergyman (* 1817 )
- January 11th : Gaetano Capocci , Italian church musician, organist and composer (* 1811 )
- January 11 : Erwin Rohde , German classical philologist (* 1845 )
- January 14th : Lewis Carroll , British writer, mathematician and photographer (* 1832 )
- January 15 : Antoine François Marmontel , French composer (* 1816 )
- January 16 : Benjamin Butterworth , American politician (* 1837 )
- January 19 : Ernst Ludwig Taschenberg , German entomologist (* 1818 )
- January 20 : Kosta Abrašević , Serbian poet (* 1879 )
- January 27 : Karl Gustav von Sandrart , Prussian general of the infantry (* 1817 )
- January 30th : Jules Péan , French surgeon (* 1830 )
- January 30th : Carl Friedrich Tamms , the first Lord Mayor of the Hanseatic City of Stralsund (* 1828 )
- January 31 : Carl von Porenta , Slovenian lawyer and politician (* 1814 )
- February 4 : Thomas A. Osborn , American politician (* 1836 )
- February 6 : Rudolf Leuckart , German zoologist and founder of parasitology (* 1822 )
- February 8 : Iwan Kolessa , Ukrainian folklorist and ethnographer (* 1864 )
- February 22nd : Paul Ludwig Bassenge , German lawyer, entrepreneur and politician (* 1828 )
- February 27 : Leopold Kaufmann , Lord Mayor of Bonn (* 1821 )
- March 1 : Louis Appia , German-Swiss co-founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross (* 1818 )
- March 6 : Felice Cavallotti , Italian politician, journalist, writer and translator (* 1842 )
- March 7 : Theodore Davie , Canadian politician (* 1852 )
- March 12 : Johann Jakob Balmer , Swiss mathematician and physicist (* 1825 )
- March 12 : Zacharias Topelius , Finnish-Swedish poet and writer (* 1818 )
- March 15 : Henry Bessemer , British engineer and inventor (* 1813 )
- March 16 : Aubrey Beardsley , British poet, draftsman, graphic artist, caricaturist and illustrator (* 1872 )
- March 17th : Blanche Bruce , American politician (* 1841 )
- March 20 : Aristide Hignard , French composer (* 1822 )
- March 20 : Karl August Tavaststjerna , Finnish writer (* 1860 )
- March 23 : Hans Wachenhusen , German writer (* 1823 )
- March 26 : William Guybon Atherstone , South African physician, paleontologist and geologist (* 1814 )
- March 28 : John S. Bigby , American politician (* 1832 )
- March 30th : Wilhelm Heinrich Schüßler , German founder of the "biochemical healing method" (* 1821 )
- March 31 : Eleanor Marx , German-English socialist and daughter of Karl Marx (* 1855 )
April to June
- April 4 : Hans Bennecke , German legal scholar (* 1859 )
- April 12 : Elzéar-Alexandre Taschereau , Canadian cardinal (* 1820 )
- April 16 : Robert Milligan McLane , American politician (* 1815 )
- April 21 : Louis Théodore Gouvy , German-French composer (* 1819 )
- April 21 : Edward C. Walthall , American politician (* 1831 )
- April 24 : Lucian Müller , German classical scholar (* 1836 )
- April 25 : August Assmann , German entomologist (* 1819 )
- April 25 : Benjamin Vautier , German painter (* 1829 )
- April 29 : Tjalling Halbertsma , Dutch gynecologist and obstetrician (* 1841 )
- May 4 : Leo Arnoldi , German railway civil engineer and entrepreneur (* 1843 )
- May 10 : Aaron H. Cragin , American politician (* 1821 )
- May 12 : Raimund Grübl , Austrian lawyer and politician (* 1847 )
- May 12 : Karl Racké , Mayor of Mainz (* 1825 )
- May 16 : Barnabé Akscheislian , Bishop of the Armenian Catholic Church (* 1838 )
- May 19 : William Ewart Gladstone , British politician (* 1809 )
- May 19 : Oran M. Roberts , American lawyer and politician (* 1815 )
- May 22 : Edward Bellamy , American SF author (* 1850 )
- May 29 : Cyrus C. Carpenter , American politician (* 1829 )
- June 3 : Nikolai Afanassjew , Russian composer (* 1821 )
- June 12 : Ludwig Turban the Elder , Minister of State in Baden (* 1821 )
- June 14 : Dewitt Clinton Senter , Americ. Politician, Governor of Tennessee (* 1830 )
- June 20 : Jacob Audorf , German functionary of the General German Workers' Education Association (* 1835 )
- June 21 : Anton Kerner von Marilaun , Austrian botanist (* 1831 )
- June 25 : William E. Simms , American politician (* 1822 )
- June 29 : Diedrich Wilhelm Andreas Augspurg , German politician (* 1818 )
July to September
- July 1 : Siegfried Marcus , German-Jewish technician and inventor (* 1831 )
- July 4th : Yusuf İsmail , Ottoman-Bulgarian professional wrestler (* 1857 )
- July 8 : Soapy Smith , American businessman (* 1860 )
- July 11 : Omar D. Conger , American politician (* 1818 )
- July 13 : Paul de Schlözer , Russian pianist and music teacher of German origin (* 1841 or 1842)
- July 18 : Paul Aeby , Swiss politician (* 1841 )
- July 18 : Emil Hartmann , Danish composer (* 1836 )
- July 18 : Otto Ribbeck , German classical philologist (* 1827 )
- July 19 : Chief Mkwawa , African tribal chief (* 1855 )
- July 20 : Juri Arnold , Russian composer (* 1811 )
- July 21 : Franz Arnfelser , Austrian composer (* 1846 )
- July 22nd : Erasmus W. Beck , American politician (* 1833 )
- August 2nd : Christoph Friedrich Ammermüller , Württemberg physician, teacher, entrepreneur, publicist and politician (* 1809 )
- August 2 : Stevenson Archer , American politician (* 1827 )
- August 2 : Edward Bibbins Aveling , English zoologist (* 1849 )
- August 3 : Charles Garnier , French architect (* 1825 )
- August 6 : Rudolf Löw , Swiss composer and organist (* 1832 )
- August 7th : Georg Ebers , German writer and Egyptologist (* 1837 )
- August 7th : Ernst Hardt , pioneer of the Cologne horse-drawn railway (* 1837 )
- August 8 : Eugène Boudin , French painter (* 1824 )
- August 13 : Adrien Barthe , French composer (* 1828 )
- August 17th : Carl Zeller , Austrian lawyer and composer (* 1842 )
- August 21 : Niccolò van Westerhout , Italian composer (* 1857 )
- August 23 : Félicien Rops , Belgian painter and draftsman (* 1833 )
- August 23 : Moody Currier , American politician (* 1806 )
- September 2 : Wilford Woodruff , American President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (born 1807 )
- September 5 : Samuel Apolant , German rabbi (* 1823 )
- September 9 : Jean-Baptiste Labelle , Canadian organist, pianist, composer and conductor (* 1825 )
- September 9 : Stéphane Mallarmé , French writer (* 1842 )
- September 10 : Elisabeth ("Sisi") , Empress of Austria (* 1837 )
- September 14th : Adolphe Samuel , Belgian composer, conductor and music teacher (* 1824 )
- September 18 : Émile Mayade , French car pioneer and racing driver (* 1853 )
- September 19 : George Edward Gray , British politician (* 1812 )
- September 20 : Theodor Fontane , German writer (* 1819 )
- September 21 : William W. Eaton , American politician (* 1816 )
- September 22nd : Andreas Arzruni , Armenian mineralogist (* 1847 )
- September 25 : Theodor Richter , German chemist (* 1824 )
- September 28th : Tan Sitong , Chinese politician, thinker and reformer (* 1865 )
- September 29th : Louise of Hessen , Queen of Denmark (* 1817 )
- September 30th : James Edward Tierney Aitchison , English physician, botanist, plant collector and traveler (* 1836 )
October to December
- October 16 : Louis Gallet , French librettist and writer (* 1835 )
- October 18 : Lucien Anderson , American politician (* 1824 )
- October 18 : Franz Magnus Böhme , German music teacher, folk song researcher and collector (* 1827 )
- October 20 : Johannes Seluner , Swiss foundling
- October 31 : Joseph R. West , American politician and general in the Civil War (* 1822 )
- November 4 : Charles Jerome Hopkins , American composer (* 1836 )
- November 8 : Heinrich Conrad Schneider , German teacher and founder of a well-known agricultural school with an attached brewing academy (* 1828 )
- November 9 : Robert Franklin Armfield , American politician (* 1829 )
- November 9th : Gertrud Pfander , Swiss writer (* 1874 )
- November 10th : John Fowler , English railway engineer and bridge builder (* 1817 )
- November 11 : William Wyatt Gill , Australian missionary and ethnologist (* 1828 )
- November 17 : Albert Raney Anderson , American politician (* 1837 )
- November 17th : Philipp M. Schmutzer , Austrian musician and composer (* 1821 )
- November 28 : Conrad Ferdinand Meyer , Swiss poet (* 1825 )
- December 14 : Giovanni Arcioni , Swiss writer (* 1827 )
- December 15 : Wilhelm Franz Speer , German composer, organist and choir conductor (* 1823 )
- December 17th : Giovan Battista Buzzi-Cantone , Swiss educator and editor (* 1825 )
- December 18 : Thomas W. Osborn , American politician (* 1833 )
- December 22nd : Wilhelm Dames , German paleontologist and geologist (* 1843 )
- December 24th : Eugeniusz Pankiewicz , Polish composer and pianist (* 1857 )
- December 27 : John P. Cochran , American politician (* 1809 )
- December 29 : Moritz von Egidy , German officer and moral philosopher (* 1847 )
- December 29th : Georg Goltermann , German cellist (* 1824 )
- December: William Anderson , British engineer, entrepreneur and philanthropist (* 1834 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Adolphe Appian , French landscape painter and etcher (* 1819 )
- Nawab Mohammad Mazahr ud-Din Khan Asman Jah Rafath Jung , Indian prince (* 1839 )
- Lütfi , Armenian poet and journalist (* 1833 )