Calendar overview 2002
|2002 in other calendars|
|From urbe condita||2755|
|- era||4698-4699 or
|- 60 year cycle|
- CCX CCXI
|- Vikram Sambat||2058-2059|
|- Shaka Samvat||1924-1925|
|- Nengō (era):||Heisei 14|
|- Dangun era||4335|
|- Juche era||91|
|Thai solar calendar||2545|
Politics and world events
- January 1st : Kaspar Villiger becomes President of Switzerland again .
- January 1: The euro is put into circulation as the new currency.
- January 1: Afghanistan . Hamid Karzai takes over the interim government.
- January 1st: The EU lifts the visa requirement for Romania .
- January 1: The bilateral agreement between the EU and Switzerland comes into force
- January 2nd : Levy Mwanawasa becomes President of Zambia .
- January 2: Argentina . Eduardo Duhalde becomes the new president .
- January 11 : Argentina ended the convertibility of its currency against the US dollar ( Argentina crisis ).
- January 11th: Guantanamo / Cuba . The US is setting up a prison camp designed to accommodate "non-combatant enemies".
- January 12 : Pakistan . In a keynote address, President Pervez Musharraf condemned terror and intolerance.
- January 17th : The Helsinki Convention adopted in 1992 comes into force and replaces the Helsinki Convention of 1974 .
- January 20 : Republic of the Congo . A referendum in the Republic of the Congo confirms the constitutional reform to transform it into a presidential republic.
- February 10 : Federal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder on a state visit to Mexico
- February 11 : Parliamentary elections in Liechtenstein
- February 13 : Germany takes a leading role in building up the police force in Afghanistan .
- February 14 : Federal Chancellor Gerhard Schröder visited Argentina
- February 14: Bahrain becomes a kingdom. The first king is Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa .
- 14 February: At the airport of Kabul , the Afghan Minister of Aviation and Tourism, Abdul Rahman , killed by pilgrims because he with the only Afghan machine as India wants to fly. The pilgrims have been waiting for a flight to Mecca for days .
- February 19 : rampage at the Freising business school
- February 22 : Death of UNITA leader Jonas Savimbi ( Angola )
- February 24th : Parliamentary elections in Laos
- March 3 : Referendum in Switzerland on membership of the United Nations
- March 10 : Parliamentary elections in Colombia
- March 15 : New armistice negotiations in Angola
- March 17th : General elections in Portugal
- March 19 : Federal President Johannes Rau visits Romania
- March 19: The Italian government advisor Marco Biagi is murdered in Bologna by a splinter group of the Red Brigades
- March 21 : Thousands of laid-off workers protest in Liaoyang , northern China , demanding the release of a detained labor leader
- March 21: A car bomb near the US embassy in Lima kills nine people and injures at least 25 others. The attack takes place a few days before the arrival of US President George W. Bush
- March 22nd : In the Bundesrat vote on the Immigration Act , a scandal breaks out in the Bundesrat when the state of Brandenburg votes inconsistently and the President of the Bundesrat evaluates this vote as a yes vote. With its decision of December 18, 2002, the Federal Constitutional Court annulled this decision
- March 25 : Abdullah Tarmugi becomes Speaker of Parliament in Singapore
- April 4th : Signing of the ceasefire agreement between the military UNITA and government forces in Angola
- April 6 : José Manuel Barroso becomes Prime Minister of Portugal
- April 8 : The President of the People's Republic of China , Jiang Zemin , pays a state visit to Germany
- April 11 : Tunisia . Attack on the "Al Ghriba" synagogue on Djerba
- April 11th: Caracas , Venezuela . Putsch against the Chavez government after a mass demonstration in the streets of the capital; approx. 15 dead, formation of a transitional government
- April 13 : Caracas, Venezuela. After further mass demonstrations, Hugo Chavez returned to power
- April 14th : Comoros . Presidential election
- April 16 : One month before the elections, the government of Wim Kok resigns in the Netherlands because of the events in Srebrenica in 1995.
- April 20 : Parliamentary elections on Niue
- April 22nd : Algeria . Association agreement with the EU
- April 26th : Erfurt rampage . Robert Steinhäuser kills 16 people at Gutenberg High School with a handgun and commits suicide.
- April 30 : Algeria and Germany conclude framework agreement on technical cooperation
- April 30: Parliamentary elections in Albania . Servet Pëllumbi becomes president
- May 1 : The Association Agreement between the EU and Jordan enters into force
- May 2 : Bahamas . Perry Christie becomes Prime Minister
- May 2: Young Vivian becomes Prime Minister of Niue
- May 5 : France . Jacques Chirac is re-elected as President
- May 6 : France. President Jacques Chirac appoints Jean-Pierre Raffarin as Prime Minister
- May 6: Marc Ravalomanana is president in Madagascar
- May 6th: Netherlands . Assassination of the politician Pim Fortuyn
- May 8 : Abel Pacheco de la Espriella is President in Costa Rica
- May 12th : Amadou Toumani Touré becomes President of Mali
- May 14 : Parliamentary and presidential elections in Sierra Leone ; Ahmad Tejan Kabbah is confirmed in office as President
- May 16 : General election in the Dominican Republic .
- May 20 : After almost three years, the United Nations granted East Timor independence
- May 22nd : The House of Commons in Nepal is dissolved
- May 24 : The agreement to reduce strategic offensive weapons of Russia and the United States signed
- May 25 : Parliamentary elections in Lesotho .
- May 29 : Federal President Johannes Rau visits Slovenia
- May 30 : Parliamentary elections in Algeria
- June 13 : The US unilaterally withdraws from the ABM treaty
- June 13: First council meeting of all Afghan tribal leaders in Kabul , Afghanistan
- June 14 : Government agreement on film business relations between Luxembourg and Germany
- June 17th : The Association Agreement between the EU and Lebanon is signed
- June 24th : Albania . Parliament elects former Defense Minister Alfred Moisiu as President
- June 30 : Parliamentary elections in Cameroon
- July 1 : A Russian Tupolev Tu-154 passenger aircraft and a DHL Boeing 757 cargo plane collide at a height of 11,000 m above Lake Constance near Überlingen and crash. There are 71 dead. The cause was given as an error by the responsible Swiss air surveillance system, Skyguide . The plane collision in Überlingen is the most serious plane accident over Germany in recent times
- July 5 : Angola ratifies the Ottawa Convention banning anti-personnel mines
- July 7th : Algeria releases 101 Moroccan prisoners of war after more than 20 years of imprisonment
- July 14th : Three spectators overwhelm the French Maxime Brunerie in Paris when he tries to kill the President Jacques Chirac with a carbine during the parade on the national holiday .
- July 15th : Presidential election in India
- July 16 : Northern Ireland's underground republican organization IRA apologizes for the first time for civilian victims of its own terrorist acts
- July 25 : APJ Abdul Kalam is sworn in as President of India
- July 27 : Fatos Nano becomes head of government in Albania
- July 30th : Democratic Republic of the Congo . Signing of the peace agreement in Pretoria , South Africa with Rwanda
- July 30th: 5th visit of Pope John Paul II to Mexico
- August 3 : Bolivia . Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada Bustamante was elected President
- August 7th : Álvaro Uribe Vélez becomes President of Colombia
- August 15 : Michael Somare becomes head of government in Papua New Guinea
- August 22nd : Inauguration of the Police Academy in Kabul , Afghanistan by President Hamid Karzai and Interior Minister Taj Mohammad Wardak
- August 23 : Angola . Agreement between the government and UNITA to implement the Lusaka Protocol within 45 days
- August 24 : Formation of a new government in Cameroon
- August 26 : World Summit on Sustainable Development begins in Johannesburg
- September 5th : Opening of the German-Romanian Chamber of Commerce in Bucharest , Romania
- September 6 : Iajuddin Ahmed becomes President of Bangladesh
- September 10 : Switzerland becomes the 190th member of the United Nations
- September 15 : Parliamentary elections and government reshuffle in Macedonia
- September 16 : Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta becomes Prime Minister of Mali
- September 19 : Another coup attempt in Ivory Coast
- September 22nd : Federal Parliament election 2002 . The SPD and Greens can just maintain their government majority, SPD = 251 mandates, CDU / CSU = 248, Greens = 55, FDP = 47. The PDS fails because of the five percent clause, but wins two direct mandates in Berlin.
- September 24 : In Bahrain , a law establishing of free will Unions adopted
- September 27th :
- October 4th : Maria das Neves Ceita Baptista de Sousa becomes head of state in São Tomé and Príncipe
- October 5th : Parliamentary elections in Latvia
- October 5th: Rwanda . All military troops from the Congo are back
- October 8 : Senate elections in Kazakhstan
- October 8: The Foreign Minister of Israel , Shimon Peres , visited Mauritania
- October 10 : Local elections in Algeria , from which the FLN emerges victorious again
- October 10: Parliamentary elections in Pakistan
- October 11 : Lokendra Bahadur Chand becomes the new Prime Minister in Nepal
- October 12 : 202 people are killed and 209 injured in a bomb attack on Bali
- October 16 : Opening of the “Bibliotheca Alexandrina” in Alexandria , Egypt
- October 21 : King Abdullah II of Jordan on a state visit to Germany
- October 21: Mexico . Start of the APEC summit
- October 23 : Russia . Chechen rebels bring 850 people under their control in a hostage-taking in Moscow's Dubrovka Theater . The hostage-taking, in which 130 hostages and all kidnappers died, was ended three days later.
- October 24 : Bahrain . First ballot for parliamentary elections in almost 30 years. Second ballot: October 31
- November 1 : Branko Crvenkovski becomes Prime Minister of Macedonia
- November 7th : Idrissa Seck becomes Prime Minister of Senegal
- November 11 : Federal President Johannes Rau on a state visit to Spain
- November 12th : Concordat between the Holy See and Brandenburg
- November 15 : Cabinet reshuffle in Rwanda .
- November 17th : Local elections in Peru
- November 18 : Chile signs the Association Agreement with the EU in Brussels
- November 20 : Angola . Official completion of the implementation of the Lusaka Protocol
- November 21 : Estonia is invited to NATO accession negotiations
- November 21: Concordat between the Holy See and Bremen
- November 21: Zafarullah Khan Jamali becomes head of government in Pakistan
- November 21: Viktor Yanukovych becomes Prime Minister of Ukraine
- November 24th : National Council elections in Austria , ÖVP party with the strongest vote
- November 27 : Denmark . Anders Fogh Rasmussen becomes Prime Minister
- November 29 : Federal President Johannes Rau visits Budapest , Hungary
- December 13 : The EU summit in Copenhagen decides to accept ten new members on May 1, 2004 ("eastward expansion")
- December 15 : Equatorial Guinea : President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo is confirmed in office for another seven years
- December 15th: General elections in Madagascar
- December 22nd : Janez Drnovšek becomes President of Slovenia
- December 30 : Mwai Kibaki is President in Kenya
- December 30: Constitutional amendment in Togo
- January 1 : The euro is introduced as the common currency in twelve countries of the European Union as well as in Andorra , Monaco , Montenegro , San Marino and the Vatican . Since then, euro cash has been legal tender. The very first to be able to pay with the euro are residents of the French overseas department of Réunion
- April 8th : The bankruptcy of the media empire Leo Kirch becomes official when Kirch Media files for bankruptcy .
- April 12th : Double taxation agreement between Germany and Oman
- April 14 : The investment promotion and protection agreement between Germany and Cambodia comes into force
- June 24th : New investment promotion and protection agreement between Germany and Thailand
- July 21 : The telephone company WorldCom applies to the bankruptcy court in New York South for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of the US bankruptcy law and causes one of the biggest stock market scandals.
- September 20 : The DAX (German share index) sinks below 3000 points for the first time since 1996
- December 19 : Double taxation agreement between Germany and Macedonia
- December 30 : The New York Times publisher takes over 50 percent of the Washington Post 's stake in the global daily International Herald Tribune and becomes its sole owner.
- The US company Compaq is taken over by Hewlett-Packard .
science and technology
- February 23 : The Nebra Sky Disc was seized during a police operation.
- April 6th : The Neuschwanstein meteorite falls in the German-Austrian border area.
- 4 May : Start of research satellite Aqua of the US NASA to investigate the role of water in the complex ecosystem of our earth
- May 12 : Buran 1.01 , the only orbiter ever flown into space from the Buran program , is destroyed at the Baikonur spaceport when the ceiling of the abandoned hangar collapses.
- May 21 : The second newsletter of ISO appears.
- July 3rd : Steve Fossett successfully circumnavigated the world in a balloon in thirteen and a half days.
- June 5th : East Timor becomes a member of UNESCO .
- June 10th : Annular solar eclipse in the North Pacific
- September 20 : The Rama VIII Bridge over the Mae Nam Chao Phraya is officially opened in Bangkok .
- October 1 : The United States re-joins UNESCO
- October 3 : The genomes of the malaria pathogens Plasmodium yoelii yoelii and Plasmodium falciparum and, on October 4, of the carrier, the mosquito species Anopheles gambiae , were completely deciphered.
- November 19 : Opening of the Mathematikum in Giessen
- December 4th : Total solar eclipse in southern Africa and Australia
- First award of the Hansen Prize
- Start of the pilot school project MODUS21
- May 15 - October 20 : The Swiss National Exhibition Expo.02 can be visited.
- June 8th - September 15th : The Documenta11 World Exhibition of Art takes place in Kassel .
- June 27th : The " Upper Middle Rhine Valley Cultural Landscape " between Bingen / Rüdesheim and Koblenz is declared a " World Heritage Site of Humanity " by UNESCO .
- July 22nd : The cultural agreement between Germany and Kyrgyzstan comes into force.
- August 20 : The Museo di arte moderna e contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto (MART) opens in Rovereto , which houses a collection of futuristic art , among other things .
- September: The Pinakothek der Moderne is inaugurated in Munich .
- November 16 : The Escher Museum opens in The Hague , dedicated to the oeuvre of the Dutch artist and graphic artist MC Escher .
- Günter Grass publishes Im Krebsgang .
- Martin Walser publishes Death of a Critic .
- The Belgian city of Bruges and the Spanish city of Salamanca are joint European Capital of Culture .
- First award of the Sachsen LB art prize
- Opening of the Walter Art Museum
- Opening of the Pinacoteca Giovanni e Marella Agnelli
- Carl Zuckmayer's secret report is published by Wallstein-Verlag .
- Inauguration of the largest statue, the Spring Temple Buddha in China
- Marie N wins the 47th edition of the Eurovision Song Contest in Tallinn on May 25 with the song I Wanna for Latvia .
- Opening of the new concert hall ( Philharmonic for Westphalia ) in Dortmund .
See also: Category: Music 2002
Movie and TV
- After ten years, Tele 5 will return to German television on April 28, 2002 .
- January 5 : Out of sympathy for the terrorist Osama bin Laden , a fifteen-year-old boy flies a small plane into a 42-story bank building in Tampa , Florida . He is the only victim of the suicide bombing .
- February 2 : The Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Máxima Zorreguieta marry in Amsterdam .
- April 26 : The 19-year-old former student Robert Steinhäuser kills 16 people and then himself during a ten-minute rampage at the Gutenberg Gymnasium in Erfurt (see Erfurt rampage )
- May 2 : The Krzysztof Nowak Foundation is established .
- June 18 : On the third “Social Day” organized by Schüler Helfen Leben , 210,000 schoolchildren in Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg and Lower Saxony swap their school desk for a paid job: and donate over 3.8 million euros for charitable purposes
- September 15 : Foundation of the European Interuniversity Center for Human Rights and Democratization in Venice.
For entries of athletics world records, see under the respective discipline under athletics .
- German soccer champions : men: Borussia Dortmund , women: 1. FFC Frankfurt
- DFB Cup winners : men: FC Schalke 04 , women: 1. FFC Frankfurt
- Formula 1 world champion: Michael Schumacher
- January 5th : Luan Krasniqi becomes European heavyweight champion in boxing; he defeated René Monse on points.
- January 6th : Sven Hannawald is the first ski jumper to win all four individual competitions of the Four Hills Tournament .
- February 8th to 24th : XIX. Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City , USA .
- February 8 : Vitali Klitschko wins his boxing match against Vaughn Bean in the Volkswagen Halle , Braunschweig , Germany , by technical knockout
- March 16 : Wladimir Klitschko wins his boxing match against Francois Botha in the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle in Stuttgart , Germany, by technical knockout
- April 27 : SC Magdeburg becomes the first German handball Bundesliga team to win the EHF Champions League .
- May 5th : Panathinaikos Athens defeated children Bologna 89:83 in the final of the Euroleague basketball and became European champions for the third time.
- May 31 to June 30 : 17th World Cup in Japan and South Korea ; Brazil won the final against Germany with 2-0 goals and became world champions for the fifth time. Most of the favorites like France and Argentina do not make it past the preliminary round.
- July: Lance Armstrong wins the Tour de France .
- November 23 : Vitali Klitschko wins his boxing match against Larry Donald in the Westfalenhalle , Dortmund , by a technical knockout
- December 7th : Wladimir Klitschko wins his boxing match against Jameel McCline in Mandalay Bay , Las Vegas , Nevada , USA , by technical knockout
- December 12 : With Oak Hill against St.Vincent-St.Mary (see LeBron James ) is the first time a high school - Basketball transmitted game live on US television.
- December 22 : For athletes of the year in Germany are elected: Franziska van Almsick , Sven Hannawald , German national football team .
- January 27 : Around 30 explosions occur in a burning ammunition depot of the Nigerian army in Lagos . They destroy neighboring buildings and trigger a panic flight of thousands of people, causing more deaths. About 1000 victims are the balance.
- February 12 : Khorramabad , Iran . A Tupolev Tu-154 of Iran Airtour hits a mountain in the Sefid-Kouh mountain range in thick fog during the approach . All 117 passengers on board die.
- March 3 : 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck Hindu Kush , Afghanistan , killing 166
- March 25 : earthquake measuring 6.1 in the Hindu Kush region , Afghanistan , killing around 1,000
- April 15 : Busan , South Korea . A Boeing 767 of Air China from Beijing coming, crashing at the last landing attempt in a wooded area. 128 people die, 39 can be saved.
- May 3 : The overloaded Salahuddin 2 ferry sinks in a storm on the Meghna River in Bangladesh, south of Dhaka . At least 450 people drown.
- May 7 : Dalian , Liaoning , People's Republic of China . An MD-82 of China Northern Airlines ( Flight 6136 ) falls short of the coast into the sea. All 112 people on board die.
- May 25 : A Boeing 747-209B operated by China Airlines suddenly disappears from the radar near Penghu Island , Taiwan 20 minutes after taking off from Taipei Airport . The machine crashes into the sea from about 12,000 meters and kills all 225 people on board. The cause was that the stern was never finally repaired after it hit the ground in 1980.
- June 4 : The Zeyzoun Dam in Syria breaks. The tsunami killed up to 100 people.
- June 22 : earthquake measuring 6.5 in Iran kills 261
- July 1 : Plane crash over Owingen near Überlingen on Lake Constance, 71 people die, including 45 children and young people.
- July 27 : 85 people die and over 100 are injured in the Lviv air conference accident . It is the worst disaster in an aerobatic performance to date .
- August: Elbhochwasser 2002 : Flood of the Century at the same and some of its tributaries, low- and Upper Austria , in Upper Styria and Vienna as well as in the Czech Republic by the Danube and its tributaries
- September 26 : Sinking of the Senegalese ferry Le Joola , the only ferry between Casamance and Dakar, with over 1,800 fatalities
- October 12 : Bali . When bomb attacks on two nightclubs in Kuta 202 people, mostly Australian tourists, were killed.
- October 23 : Moscow , Russia . Hostage-taking by Chechen terrorists during a performance of the musical "Nord-Ost" in the Dubrovka Theater. About 120 of the 800 or so hostages die when they are liberated by Russian security forces.
- November 15 : The warship Destroyer sinks east of Sable Island at a depth of 1,500 meters.
January to December
- January 3rd : Anna Schpynjowa , Russian ski jumper
- January 13th : Frederik Vesti , Danish racing car driver
- January 16 : Jonas Schmidt-Foss , German voice actor
- January 26th : Jomaine Consbruch , German soccer player
- February 2 : Soni Bringas , American actress and dancer
- February 4th : Troy Parrott , Irish football player
- February 4 : Jackie R. Jacobson , American actress
- February 5 : Davis Cleveland , American actor
- February 12 : Mohamed Ihattaren , Dutch-Moroccan football player
- February 14th : Alessandro Schuster , German actor
- February 14 : Nick Woltemade , German soccer player
- March 1st: Dalia Mya Schmidt-Foss , German voice actress, actress and web video producer.
- March 16 : Isabelle Allen , British actress
- March 22nd : Andrei Jessipenko , Russian chess master
- March 30th : Ella Zirzow , German actress
- April 12th : Max Krauthausen , German child actor
- April 16 : Sadie Sink , American actress
- April 20 : Irina Alexejewa , Russian gymnast
- April 23 : Tim Prica , Swedish football player
- April 25 : Johanna Bassani , Austrian Nordic combined athlete († 2020 )
- May 9 : Cree Cicchino , American actress and dancer
- May 9th : Isabel Marie Gose , German swimming champion
- May 16 : Ryan Gravenberch , Dutch-Surinamese soccer player
- May 18 : Alina Sagitova , Russian figure skater and Olympic champion
- June 2 : Madison Hu , American actress
- June 4th : Joséphine Pagnier , French ski jumper
- June 12 : Charles Crombez , Belgian actor
- June 17th : Lisa and Lena , German web video producers
- June 19 : Efraín Álvarez , American-Mexican soccer player
- June 25 : Mason Vale Cotton , American actor
- June 28th : Marta Kostjuk , Ukrainian tennis player
- July 4th : Dirk Geiger , German motorcycle racer
- July 21 : Rika Kihira , Japanese figure skater
- July 23 : Benjamin Flores, Jr. , American actor and rapper
- July 26 : Michael Campion , American actor
- July 30th : Sofja Samodurowa , Russian figure skater
- August 8 : Mustafa Kapı , Turkish soccer player
- August 9 : Elina Nagula , Russian billiards player
- August 26th : Angelina Simakowa , Russian gymnast
- September 8 : Gaten Matarazzo , American actor
- September 19 : Jason and Kristopher Simmons , American actors
- September 22nd : Cody Veith , American actor
- September 27 : Jillian Shea Spaeder , American actress
- September 30 : Maddie Ziegler , American dancer, actress and model
- October 6 : Rio Mangini , American actor, pianist and voice actor
- October 6th : Cleopatra Stratan , Moldovan singer
- October 10 : Thomas Kuc , Brazilian actor
- October 14th : Luis Engel , German chess grandmaster
- October 17th : Maximilian Beier , German soccer player
- October 23 : Shin Eun-soo , South Korean actress
- October 26 : Emma Schweiger , German actress
- October 30th : Lilly Liefers , German actress
- October 31 : Ansu Fati , Spanish-Guinea-Bissau football player
- November 6 : Mya-Lecia Naylor , British actress († 2019 )
- November 10 : Eduardo Camavinga , Franco-Congolese football player
- November 20 : Madisyn Shipman , American actress
- November 21 : Aminata Camara , Gambian soccer player
- December 30th : Josefa Schellmoser , German skeleton pilot
- Amona Assmann , German actress
- Budhia Singh , Indian marathon runner
- Lucy Ella von Scheele , German actress
This is a list of the most important people who passed away in 2002. For a more detailed list see Nekrolog 2002 .
- January 1 : Matthias Fuchs , German actor (* 1939 )
- January 1 : Paul Hubschmid , Swiss film and theater actor (* 1917 )
- January 7th : Geoffrey Crossley , British racing car driver (* 1921 )
- January 8 : Alexander Michailowitsch Prokhorov , Russian physicist (* 1916 )
- January 8 : Pascal Rywalski , Swiss Capuchin and Minister General (* 1911 )
- January 9 : Eddie Zack , American country musician (* 1922 )
- January 12 : John Stephen Hales , Australian businessman (born 1922 )
- January 12 : Cyrus Vance , American politician (* 1917 )
- January 13 : Samuel Dolin , Canadian composer and music teacher (* 1917 )
- January 13 : Amparo Montes , Mexican singer (* 1925 )
- January 14 : Ebenezer Ako-Adjei , Ghanaian politician, lawyer, publisher and journalist (* 1916 )
- January 16 : Hilde Adolf , German politician (* 1953 )
- January 17th : Camilo José Cela , Spanish writer (* 1916 )
- January 17th : Héctor Tosar , Uruguayan composer (* 1923 )
- January 18 : Cövdət Hacıyev , Azerbaijani composer (* 1917 )
- January 19 : Jeffrey Astle , English soccer player (* 1942 )
- January 19 : Franz Innerhofer , Austrian writer (* 1944 )
- January 21 : Peggy Lee , American jazz singer (* 1920 )
- January 22nd : Kenneth Armitage , British sculptor (* 1916 )
- January 23 : Pierre Bourdieu , French sociologist (* 1930 )
- January 23 : Robert Nozick , American philosopher (* 1938 )
- January 24 : Elie Hobeika , Lebanese militiaman and politician (* 1956 )
- January 24th : Igor Kipnis , American harpsichordist (* 1930 )
- January 27 : Franz Meyers , German politician (* 1908 )
- January 27 : Alain Vanzo , French opera singer (* 1928 )
- January 28 : Astrid Lindgren , Swedish children's book author (* 1907 )
- January 30th : Carlo Karges , German musician (* 1951 )
- January 30th : Inge Morath , American photographer (* 1923 )
- February 1 : Raimund Gensel , German actor (* 1940 )
- February 1 : Hildegard Knef , German actress (* 1925 )
- February 3 : Aglaja Veteranyi , Swiss actress and writer (* 1962 )
- February 4 : Boogaloo Ames , American jazz, blues and boogie woogie pianist (* 1918 )
- February 4 : Inge Konradi , Austrian actress (* 1924 )
- February 6 : Max Ferdinand Perutz , British chemist (* 1914 )
- February 7th : Carlos Díaz , Cuban singer (* 1930 )
- February 7th : Dennis Herrold , American rockabilly musician (* 1927 )
- February 8 : Elisabeth Mann Borgese , German marine biologist and daughter of Thomas Mann (* 1918 )
- February 8 : Ong Teng Cheong , Singaporean politician (* 1936 )
- February 8 : Joachim Hoffmann , German historian (* 1930 )
- February 8 : Vesta M. Roy , American politician (* 1925 )
- February 9 : Princess Margaret , sister of Queen Elisabeth II (* 1930 )
- February 10 : Dave Van Ronk , American blues musician (* 1936 )
- February 11 : Traudl Junge , secretary to Adolf Hitler (* 1920 )
- February 13 : Waylon Jennings , American country singer (born 1937 )
- February 14 : Abdul Rahman , Afghan politician (* 1953 )
- February 14 : Mick Tucker , English drummer, The Sweet (* 1947 )
- February 14 : Günter Wand , German conductor (* 1912 )
- February 16 : Moisés Moleiro , Venezuelan politician and historian (* 1937 )
- February 17th : Heinz Kaminski , German chemical engineer and space researcher (* 1921 )
- February 20 : Stephen Longstreet , American writer, screenwriter and illustrator (* 1907 )
- February 21 : Hamlet Lima Quintana , Argentine writer and musician (* 1923 )
- February 22nd : Chuck Jones , American comic artist and film director (* 1912 )
- February 22 : Jonas Savimbi , Angolan politician and rebel leader (* 1934 )
- February 22 : Barbara Valentin , German actress (* 1940 )
- February 22nd : Ronnie Verrell , English jazz drummer (* 1926 )
- February 24 : Eva Hoffmann-Aleith , German pastor and writer (* 1910 )
- February 24 : Leo Ornstein , Russian pianist and composer (* 1892 )
- February 24 : Gregorio Walerstein , Mexican film producer and screenwriter (* 1913 )
- February 26 : Oskar Sala , German composer and physicist (* 1910 )
- February 28 : Helmut Zacharias , German violinist (* 1920 )
- February: Camille Andréa , Canadian songwriter (* 1909 )
- March 1 : Donnie Bowshier , American country and rockabilly musician (* 1937 )
- March 1 : Cecil Farris Bryant , American politician (* 1914 )
- March 2 : Thomas Owen , Belgian writer (* 1910 )
- March 3 : Everhardus Jacobus Ariëns , Dutch pharmacologist (* 1918 )
- March 3 : Earl Bernard Murray , American trumpeter and conductor (* 1926 )
- March 4 : Margarete Neumann , German writer (* 1917 )
- March 9 : Normand Lockwood , American composer and music teacher (* 1906 )
- March 10 : Sleiman Hajjar , Lebanese Bishop in Canada (* 1950 )
- March 11 : James Tobin , American economist (* 1918 )
- March 11 : Marion Gräfin Dönhoff , German journalist and publicist (* 1909 )
- March 12 : Friedrich Falch , Austrian politician (* 1918 )
- March 12 : Jean-Paul Riopelle , French-Canadian painter and sculptor (* 1923 )
- March 13 : Ivano Blason , Italian football player (* 1923 )
- March 13 : Hans-Georg Gadamer , German philosopher (* 1900 )
- March 13 : Bayliss Levrett , American racing driver (* 1913 )
- March 14 : Furuyama Komao , Japanese writer (* 1920 )
- March 16 : Ray Doggett , American rockabilly musician, songwriter and producer (born 1936 )
- March 17 : Christian Graf von Krockow , German political scientist (* 1927 )
- March 19 : Marco Biagi , Italian politician, scientist and publicist (* 1950 )
- March 19 : Erkki Salmenhaara , Finnish composer and musicologist (* 1941 )
- March 21 : Herman Talmadge , American politician (* 1913 )
- March 22nd : Boris Sichkin , Russian-American actor, dancer and choreographer (* 1922 )
- March 23 : Jan Kotík , Czech painter (* 1916 )
- March 24 : César Milstein , British molecular biologist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1927 )
- March 24 : Bob Said , American racing driver and film producer (* 1932 )
- March 27 : Matthias Beltz , German cabaret artist (* 1945 )
- March 27 : Lotte Ulbricht , German politician, wife of Walter Ulbricht (* 1903 )
- March 27 : Billy Wilder , American director, screenwriter and producer (born 1906 )
- March 29 : Petermax Müller , German automobile racing driver and dealer (* 1912 )
- March 30 : Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon , mother of Queen Elisabeth II (* 1900 )
- March 30 : Benjamin Harkarvy , American dance teacher, ballet master and choreographer (* 1930 )
- Elgudscha Dawitis dse Amaschukeli , Georgian sculptor and painter (* 1928 ) March:
- April 1 : Simo Häyhä , Finnish sniper (* 1905 )
- April 1 : Heinrich Popitz , German sociologist (* 1925 )
- April 2 : Jack Kruschen , Canadian actor (born 1922 )
- April 3 : Heinz Drache , German actor (* 1923 )
- April 3 : Frank Tovey , British musician (* 1956 )
- April 5 : Layne Staley , American rock singer and guitarist with Alice in Chains (* 1967 )
- April 6 : Martin Sperr , German writer and actor (* 1944 )
- April 7 : John Agar , American actor (* 1921 )
- April 8th : Franz Liebl , Sudeten German author of the Egerland and Upper Palatinate dialect (* 1923 )
- April 9 : Jean Estager , French racing car driver (* 1919 )
- April 9 : Jürgen Hart , German cabaret artist (* 1942 )
- April 9 : Stefan Kaminsky , German bank manager (* 1926 )
- April 10 : Manfred Köhnlechner , German naturopath (* 1925 )
- April 10 : Yūji Hyakutake , Japanese amateur astronomer (* 1950 )
- April 11 : Elmer Angsman , American football player (born 1925 )
- April 13 : Ivan Desny , French-German actor (* 1922 )
- April 16 : Herbert Wernicke , German director and set designer (* 1946 )
- April 18 : Thor Heyerdahl , Norwegian ethnologist, anthropologist and adventurer (* 1914 )
- April 20 : Pierre Rapsat , Belgian singer (* 1948 )
- April 21 : Desmond Titterington , British racing driver (* 1928 )
- April 22nd : Victor Weisskopf , Austrian physicist and co-founder of the Pugwash movement (* 1908 )
- April 23 : Manfred Bieler , German writer (* 1934 )
- April 24th : Hans Ferdinand Bürki , Swiss educator, psychologist and theologian (* 1925 )
- April 24th : Emil Friedman , Czech music teacher, violinist and conductor (* 1908 )
- April 25 : Lisa Lopes , American singer (* 1971 )
- April 27 : Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza de Kászon , German industrialist (* 1921 )
- April 28 : Alexander Ivanovich Lebed , Russian general and politician (* 1950 )
- April 29 : Sune Andersson , Swedish national soccer player and coach (* 1921 )
- April 30 : Karel Milota , Czech poet, writer and translator (* 1937 )
- April 30 : Charlotte von Mahlsdorf , avowed transvestite, museum founder (* 1928 )
- May 1 : Karel Ptáčník , Czech writer (* 1921 )
- May 1 : Willi Dungl , Austrian health expert (* 1937 )
- May 1st : Ursula von Wiese , German-Swiss actress, editor, translator and writer (* 1905 )
- May 2 : Heinz Jankofsky , German cartoonist (* 1935 )
- May 2 : Richard Stücklen , German politician (* 1916 )
- May 5 : Hugo Banzer Suárez , Bolivian politician and President (* 1926 )
- May 5 : Čestmír Vycpálek , Czech football player and coach (* 1921 )
- May 6 : Murray Adaskin , Canadian composer and conductor (* 1906 )
- May 6 : Pim Fortuyn , Dutch politician (* 1948 )
- May 6 : Samuel Dresden , Dutch Romance studies and literary scholar (* 1914 )
- May 6 : Mariana Sansón Argüello , Nicaraguan poet and painter (* 1918 )
- May 9 : Philippe Verellen , Belgian racing driver (* 1962 )
- May 9 : Leon Stein , American composer (* 1910 )
- May 10 : Gabriele Mucchi , Italian painter (* 1899 )
- May 10 : David Riesman , American sociologist and educationalist (* 1909 )
- May 13 : Valery Lobanovsky , Ukrainian football coach (* 1939 )
- May 18 : Wolfgang Eduard Schneiderhan , Austrian musician (* 1915 )
- May 19 : John Gray Gorton , Australian Prime Minister (* 1911 )
- May 19 : Hans Posegga , German composer, pianist and conductor (* 1917 )
- May 20 : Stephen Jay Gould , American paleontologist, geologist and evolutionary researcher (* 1941 )
- May 21 : Niki de Saint Phalle , French sculptor and painter (* 1930 )
- May 24 : Johannes Overath , German Catholic theologian and priest (* 1913 )
- May 29 : Friedrich Kempf , German Jesuit and historian (* 1908 )
- May 30th : Walter Laird , British dancer (* 1920 )
- June 2 : Günther Schubert , German football goalkeeper (* 1955 )
- June 3 : Sam Whipple , American actor (* 1960 )
- June 4 : Cliff Gleaves , American rockabilly musician and DJ (* 1930 )
- June 5 : Curtis Amy , American saxophonist and flautist (* 1929 )
- June 5th : Dee Dee Ramone , bass player for the Ramones (* 1951 )
- June 9th : Lito Peña , Puerto Rican saxophonist, band leader, composer and arranger (* 1921 )
- June 13 : Ralph Shapey , American conductor and composer (* 1921 )
- June 13 : Johann Herberger , German football player (* 1919 )
- June 15 : Choi Hong-hi , founder of the modern Korean martial art Taekwondo (* 1918 )
- June 17 : Fritz Walter , German soccer player and honorary captain of the German national soccer team (* 1920 )
- June 18 : Walter Villa , Italian motorcycle racer (* 1943 )
- June 20 : Erwin Chargaff , American biochemist and writer (* 1905 )
- June 20 : Martinus Osendarp , Dutch athlete and Olympian (* 1916 )
- June 24th : Frank Ripploh , German film director (* 1949 )
- June 25 : Karl-Heinz Klostermeier , German economist and broadcasting director (* 1936 )
- June 26 : Barbara Georgina Adams , British Egyptologist (* 1945 )
- June 26 : Alfred Lorenzer , German psychoanalyst and sociologist (* 1922 )
- June 27th : John Entwistle , English rock musician (bassist), The Who (* 1944 )
- June 27 : Russ Freeman , American jazz pianist (* 1926 )
- June 29th : Ole-Johan Dahl , Norwegian computer scientist (* 1931 )
- June 29 : Alfred Dregger , German politician (* 1920 )
- June 29 : Rosemary Clooney , American pop and jazz singer and actress (* 1928 )
- June 30th : Richard Allen , American session musician (* 1932 )
- July 1 : David Clarke , British racing car driver (* 1929 )
- July 2 : Ray Brown , American jazz bassist (* 1926 )
- July 2 : Jean-Yves Daniel-Lesur , French composer and organist (* 1908 )
- July 3 : Josef Haiböck , Austrian general (* 1917 )
- July 4th : Gerald Bales , Canadian organist, pianist, composer, choir director and music teacher (* 1919 )
- July 4th : Lutz Moik , German actor and voice actor (* 1930 )
- July 6 : Dhirajlal Hirachand Ambani , Indian entrepreneur (* 1932 )
- July 6 : John Frankenheimer , American film director (* 1930 )
- July 9 : Rod Steiger , American film actor (born 1925 )
- July 10 : Frieda Grafe , German film critic (* 1934 )
- July 10 : Alan Shulman , American composer and cellist (* 1915 )
- July 11th : Erni Bieler , Austrian jazz and pop singer (* 1925 )
- July 11 : Rosco Gordon , American blues musician (* 1928 )
- July 12 : Ellen Callmann , American art historian (* 1926 )
- July 13 : Robert Schwan , German football manager (* 1921 )
- July 14 : Harry Igor Ansoff , American mathematician and economist (* 1918 )
- July 14 : Joaquín Balaguer , President of the Dominican Republic (* 1906 )
- July 16 : John Cocke , American computer scientist (* 1925 )
- July 17 : Joseph Luns , Dutch politician (* 1911 )
- July 17 : Valentina Vinogradova , Soviet-Russian national volleyball player (* 1943 )
- July 18 : Hermann Appel , German engineer (* 1932 )
- July 21 : Eduardo Cabrera , Cuban pianist, arranger and band leader (* 1936 )
- July 24 : Gaynell Tinsley , American football player and coach (born 1913 )
- July 25 : Johannes Joachim Degenhardt , German Cardinal (* 1926 )
- July 25 : Tilemann Grimm , German sinologist (* 1922 )
- July 26 : Jutta Hecker , German writer (* 1904 )
- July 28 : Archer John Porter Martin , British chemist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1910 )
- July 29 : Renato Pirocchi , Italian racing driver (* 1933 )
- July 29 : Tesfamariam Bedho , Eritrean Bishop (* 1934 )
- July 30th : Josef Arthold , Austrian politician (* 1934 )
- July 30th : Willy Mattes , Austrian composer (* 1916 )
- August 4th : Robert Noehren , American organist, organ builder and music teacher (* 1910 )
- August 6 : Jim Crawford , British racing car driver (* 1948 )
- August 6 : Edsger W. Dijkstra , Dutch computer scientist (* 1930 )
- August 10 : Kristen Nygaard , Norwegian computer scientist (* 1926 )
- August 11 : Jiří Kolář , Czech poet and visual artist (* 1914 )
- August 13 : Hermann Haller (composer) , Swiss composer (* 1914 )
- August 15 : Heinz-Josef Adamski , German historian, folklorist and grammar school teacher (* 1911 )
- August 15 : Alberto Bertuccelli , Italian football player (* 1924 )
- August 15 : Jesse Brown , American politician (* 1944 )
- August 18 : Helmut Körschgen , German actor (* 1923 )
- August 19 : Eduardo Chillida , Basque sculptor (* 1924 )
- August 19 : Otto Wüst , Bishop of Basel (* 1926 )
- August 21 : Adelina Domingues , Cape Verdean American age record holder (* 1888 )
- August 25 : William Warfield , American singer (bass-baritone) (* 1920 )
- August 27 : Justus Ahlheim , German politician (* 1925 )
- August 27 : Jane Tilden , German actress (* 1910 )
- August 29 : Lance Macklin , English racing driver (* 1919 )
- August 31 : Lionel Hampton , American jazz musician (* 1908 )
- September 2 : Jerry Boyd , American boxing trainer and cut man (* 1930 )
- September 6th : Edna Roxanne Atkins , Canadian hurdler (* 1912 )
- September 7th : Eugenio Coseriu , Romanian linguist (* 1921 )
- September 7 : Uzi Gal , Israeli weapons designer (* 1923 )
- September 8 : Georges-André Chevallaz , Swiss politician (* 1915 )
- September 8th : Marco Siffredi , French extreme snowboarder (* 1979 )
- September 12 : Ludwig Koch , German trade unionist (* 1909 )
- September 15 : Kay Espenhayn , German swimmer in disabled sports (* 1968 )
- September 15 : Heinz Seiler , German handball trainer and player (* 1920 )
- September 16 : Rika Unger , German sculptor (* 1917 )
- September 17th : Dodo Marmarosa , American jazz pianist (* 1925 )
- September 18 : Hazel Brooks , American actress (* 1924 )
- September 19 : John O'Gorman Arundel , Canadian ice hockey player (born 1927 )
- September 19 : Yohannes Woldegiorgis , Ethiopian bishop (* 1921 )
- September 22nd : Julio Pérez , Uruguayan football player (* 1926 )
- September 22nd : Marga Petersen , German athlete and Olympic participant (* 1919 )
- September 23 : Eberhard Werner , German artist and landscape painter (* 1924 )
- September 26 : Vincenzo Andronico , Italian actor (* 1924 )
- September 30th : Hans-Peter Tschudi , Swiss politician (* 1913 )
- Dieter Aschenborn , Namibian painter (* 1915 ) September:
- October 2 : Heinz von Foerster , Austrian cyberneticist and founder of constructivism (* 1911 )
- October 3 : Willi Paul Adams , German Americanist and historian (* 1940 )
- October 3 : Victor Maag , Swiss Protestant clergyman and university professor (* 1910 )
- October 5 : Jay R. Smith , American child actor (born 1915 )
- October 6 : Wolfgang Mischnick , German politician (* 1921 )
- October 6 : Viola Mitchell , American violinist (* 1911 )
- October 6 : Prince Claus von Amsberg , husband of Queen Beatrix (* 1926 )
- October 8 : Philippe Boutros Chebaya , Lebanese bishop (* 1920 )
- October 9 : Randy Atcher , American country singer and musician (* 1918 )
- October 9 : Aileen Wuornos , American serial killer (* 1956 )
- October 11 : Werner Eberlein , member of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the SED (* 1919 )
- October 13 : Stephen Edward Ambrose , American historian and biographer (* 1936 )
- October 14 : Keizō Hino , Japanese writer (* 1929 )
- October 16 : Karl-Heinz Kreienbaum , German actor (* 1915 )
- October 19 : Manuel Álvarez Bravo , Mexican photographer (* 1902 )
- October 21 : Jesse Leonard Greenstein , American astronomer (* 1909 )
- October 21 : Manfred Ewald , sports functionary of the GDR (* 1926 )
- October 22 : Geraldine Countess Apponyi de Nagy-Appony , Albanian Queen (* 1915 )
- October 23 : Marianne Hoppe , German actress (* 1909 )
- October 24 : Harry Hay , American civil rights activist (* 1912 )
- October 25 : Annemie Fontana , Swiss artist (* 1925 )
- October 25 : Richard Harris , Irish actor (born 1930 )
- October 25 : René Thom , French professor of mathematics (* 1923 )
- October 26 : Siegfried Unseld , German publisher (* 1924 )
- October 30th : Pierre Aigrain , French physicist and State Secretary for Research (* 1924 )
- October 30 : Jam Master Jay , American rapper (born 1965 )
- November 1 : Ekrem Akurgal , Turkish classical archaeologist (* 1911 )
- November 3 : Lonnie Donegan , British musician (* 1931 )
- November 3 : Dirk Schneider , German politician and GDR agent (* 1939 )
- November 7th : Rudolf Augstein , German journalist, publisher and publicist (* 1923 )
- November 9th : Adrian Aeschbacher , Swiss pianist (* 1912 )
- November 9 : Heinrich Schiemann , German science journalist (* 1916 )
- November 10 : Gert Westphal , German actor, "Reader of the Nation" (* 1920 )
- November 12th : Károly Doncsecz , Hungarian-Slovenian potter, master of folk art (* 1918 )
- November 13 : Roland Hanna , American jazz pianist (* 1932 )
- November 13 : Juan Schiaffino , Uruguayan-Italian football player (* 1925 )
- November 17 : Abba Eban , Israeli politician and diplomat (* 1915 )
- November 18 : James Coburn , American film actor (born 1928 )
- November 19 : Gérard Laureau , French racing driver and entrepreneur (* 1920 )
- November 20 : Florian Dąbrowski , Polish composer and music teacher (* 1913 )
- November 20 : Gaby von Schönthan (born Gabriele Philipp , married Gabriele Frischauer ), Austrian actress and writer (* 1926 )
- November 24th : John Rawls , American philosopher (* 1921 )
- November 25 : Karel Reisz , British film director (* 1926 )
- November 27 : Edwin L. Mechem , American politician (* 1912 )
- November 29th : Daniel Gélin , French actor (* 1921 )
- November 30th : Hans Hartz , German musician and songwriter (* 1943 )
- December 2 : Leslie Elizabeth Bullock Andrews , American politician (* 1911 )
- December 2 : Ivan Illich , Austrian author, philosopher and theologian (* 1926 )
- December 2 : Mehmet Emin Toprak , Turkish actor (* 1974 )
- December 3 : Klaus Löwitsch , German actor (* 1936 )
- December 5 : Heinrich Wilhelm Ahrens , German lawyer, businessman and manager (* 1903 )
- December 5 : Bob Berg , American jazz musician (* 1951 )
- December 6th : Jerzy Adamski , Polish featherweight boxer (born 1937 )
- December 6th : Gerhard Löwenthal , German journalist and television presenter (* 1922 )
- December 9 : Jesús Torres Tejeda , Dominican radio broadcaster, producer and director (year of birth unknown)
- December 10 : Ian MacNaughton , British director (born 1925 )
- December 12 : Nikolai Michailowitsch Amossow , Russian-Ukrainian cardiac surgeon, designer and author (* 1913 )
- December 12 : Dee Brown , American writer and historian (* 1908 )
- December 12th : Mary Siragusa , Dominican pianist and music teacher (* 1920 )
- December 19 : Will Hoy , British racing driver (* 1953 )
- December 22nd : Kurt Aepli , Swiss silversmith, jewelry and equipment designer and professional teacher (* 1914 )
- December 22nd : Mario Ruiz Armengol , Mexican composer, pianist and conductor (* 1914 )
- December 22nd : Joe Strummer , British rock musician, frontman of the band The Clash (* 1952 )
- December 22nd : Gabrielle Wittkop , French writer, artist, essayist and journalist (* 1920 )
- December 23 : Tatamkhulu Africa , South African writer and poet (* 1920 )
- December 24th : Mohammed Al-Fassi , Saudi Arabian-Moroccan businessman (* 1952 )
- December 26 : Horst Heinrich , Bavarian politician (* 1938 )
- December 26th : Herb Ritts , American photographer (* 1952 )
- December 27 : George Roy Hill , American film director (born 1921 )
- December 27 : Hans Joachim Stoebe , German Protestant clergyman and university professor (* 1909 )
- December 28 : Maria Carbone , Italian opera singer and singing teacher (* 1908 )
- December 28 : Koreyoshi Kurahara , Japanese film director and screenwriter (* 1927 )
- December 31 : Jürgen Dethloff , German inventor (* 1924 )
- Beverley Harper , Australian author (* 1941 )
- Jan Kucharski , Polish organist and music teacher (* 1908 )
- Physics : Raymond Davis junior , Masatoshi Koshiba and Riccardo Giacconi
- Chemistry : Kurt Wüthrich , John B. Fenn and Kōichi Tanaka
- Medicine : Sydney Brenner , H. Robert Horvitz, and John E. Sulston
- Literature : Imre Kertész
- Nobel Peace Prize : Jimmy Carter
- Economics : Daniel Kahneman and Vernon L. Smith