This article covers breaking news and events in April 2002.
Tuesday April 2, 2002
- Bethlehem / Palestinian Territories : During Operation Schutzschild, the Israeli Armed Forces lay siege to the Church of the Nativity , where armed Palestinians are holed up. As presumably calculated by the Palestinians, the Israelis are not firing any shots at the church. Some Christian clergy also persevere in this .
Thursday April 4, 2002
- Luena / Angola : With the signing of an armistice between the Angolan government and representatives of the militant UNITA , the civil war in Angola ends after 41 years . An estimated 500,000 people lost their lives in the conflict.
Saturday April 6, 2002
- Jerusalem / Israel : Prime Minister Ariel Sharon receives the President of the United States George W. Bush and replies, at his insistence to end the Israeli military operation against the Palestinian Territories , that the search for weapons and terrorists is very difficult.
- Lisbon / Portugal : José Manuel Barroso from the conservative Social Democratic Party is appointed Prime Minister after winning the election .
Wednesday April 10, 2002
- Karlsruhe / Germany : The President of the Federal Constitutional Court Jutta Limbach is retiring. Her successor is Hans-Jürgen Papier .
Thursday April 11, 2002
- Er-Riadh / Tunisia : On the island of Djerba commit Islamist terrorists with a truck to which it 5,000 l LPG invited, a stop on the el-Ghriba Synagogue . The explosion kills 19 tourists, 14 of whom are from Germany . Although the Tunisian government speaks of an accident, eyewitnesses, media and experts assume an attack on the Jewish religious building .
- New York / United States : Ten countries have deposited their ratifications of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court with the United Nations . With 66 support countries now, the quorum of 60 states to set up the institution has been met and it is expected to start work in July 2002.
Friday April 12, 2002
- Afghanistan : 50 people die in an earthquake measuring 5.9 M w in the Hindu Kush.
- Caracas / Venezuela : After a coup, President Hugo Chávez is taken to a military base. The head of the business association "Fedecámaras", Pedro Carmona , who has been appointed interim president, repeals the constitution and lets the parliament and the Supreme Court dissolve.
Saturday April 13, 2002
- Caracas / Venezuela : After 36 hours, interim president Pedro Carmona is removed from office after major protests by the population. The rightful President Hugo Chavez is still being held.
Sunday April 14, 2002
- Caracas / Venezuela : President Hugo Chávez is back in office.
- Germany , Cambodia : The investment protection treaty between the two countries comes into force.
- London / United Kingdom : Khalid Khannouchi , born in Morocco in 1971, sets a new world record in the marathon . In the London Marathon , he completed the 42.195 km in 2 hours 5 minutes 38 seconds and undercuts his own record from 1999 by four seconds. He has been racing for the United States for two years .
- Moroni / Comoros : The presidential elections are taking place.
Monday April 15, 2002
- Busan / South Korea : A Boeing 767 of Air China crashes on landing in a wooded area. 129 people die, 37 survive the crash.
Tuesday April 16, 2002
- The Hague / Netherlands : Due to the controversial role of the Dutch blue helmet soldiers from the Dutchbat unit in the Srebrenica massacre in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1995, the Dutch government under Prime Minister Wim Kok resigns as a whole . Parliamentary elections were planned for the coming month anyway.
Wednesday April 17, 2002
- Kandahar / Afghanistan : An F-16 -Pilot the Air National Guard of the United States bombards accidentally allied Canadian in the vicinity of the city troops, Kandahar an anti-tank exercise stop. Four members of the Canadian Forces Light Infantry are killed and eight others injured. The American pilot speaks of self-defense over the radio .
Saturday April 20, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : Nine paintings by well-known Expressionists are stolen from the Brücke Museum Berlin . The works of art are six pictures by Erich Heckel , one painting by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner , one painting by Max Pechstein and one painting by Emil Nolde .
Sunday April 21, 2002
- Magdeburg / Germany : In the state elections in Saxony-Anhalt , one sixth fewer voters opt for the ruling SPD in percentage terms than in 1998 . With a 20% share of the vote, the party is behind the CDU , which has 37.3%, and the PDS , which has 20.4%. The DVU , which moved into parliament four years ago, did not run for elections this year. Wolfgang Böhmer , the CDU's top candidate, is in favor of a black-yellow coalition .
- Paris / France : In the French presidential elections, the conservative incumbent Jacques Chirac is in first place with 19.9%. Right-wing extremist Jean-Marie Le Pen follows with 17.4% and thus also moves into the second round of the presidential election on May 5th a. The socialist Prime Minister Lionel Jospin took third place with 16.3% and announced his resignation from politics. Tens of thousands are protesting against Le Pen in France.
Thursday April 25, 2002
- Baikonur / Kazakhstan : The European South African Mark Shuttleworth starts as a so-called “ space tourist ” with the Russian spaceship Soyuz TM-34 for the International Space Station . The entrepreneur should return to earth after eight days. As the second person after the American Dennis Tito , Shuttleworth is responsible for being brought into space from its own resources. In addition, Shuttleworth is the first person to spend his life in Africa and fly into space, so at least one inhabitant from every continent has now reached space.
Friday April 26, 2002
- Erfurt / Germany : 19-year-old Robert Steinhäuser shoots 16 people and himself at his former school, the Gutenberg Gymnasium , on the day of the written Abitur exams middle maturity - there stood. As the “ rampage in Erfurt ”, the act led to a broad discussion about the gun law and violence in computer games .
Saturday April 27, 2002
- Magdeburg / Germany : The men's team of SC Magdeburg wins the EHF Champions League 2002 in handball with a 30:25 in the final second leg against Fotex KC Veszprém from Hungary . Veszprém won the first leg 23:21.
Tuesday April 30, 2002
- Nekrolog April 2002 for deaths that month
- List of annually recurring days of remembrance and action in April
- Category for commemorative days, public holidays or days of action in April
- The besieged Christians of the Palestinian-controlled areas. In: haolam.de. June 5, 2017. Retrieved November 25, 2018 .
- History. In: botschaftangola.de. Retrieved May 13, 2019 .
- PM Sharon speaks with US President Bush. In: israel.org . April 6, 2002, accessed February 15, 2020 .
- MEPs disagree on need to quiz Barroso on CIA row. In: euobserver.com . September 19, 2006, accessed on February 3, 2020 : "prime minister of Portugal from April 6, 2002 to June 29, 2004"
- Limbach's successor is considered to be value conservative. In: faz.net . March 1, 2002, accessed June 9, 2017 .
- The stone of the Temple of Jerusalem. In: international-culture-mediapress.de, Najiba Ben Hassin. June 2008, accessed May 27, 2019 .
- German tourists perished on Djerba. In: rhein-zeitung.de . April 11, 2002, accessed May 27, 2019 .
- Investment protection in bilateral trade agreements between the Federal Republic of Germany and developing and emerging countries. In: bmwi.de . March 27, 2015, accessed November 20, 2018 .
- Khalid Khannouchi ran the world fastest time. In: neue-deutschland.de . April 15, 2002, accessed August 21, 2019 .
- Aircraft accident Boeing B-767-2J6ER 2,552th In: aviation-safety.net . Retrieved September 20, 2016 .
- forces.gc.ca : Board of Inquiry back in Canada ( Memento of March 13, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- State elections: Saxony-Anhalt. In: Wahlen-in-deutschland.de, Valentin Schröder. Retrieved November 2, 2016 .
- A “very worrying” concentration of power in Chirac's hands. In: madagasikara.de, Vinzenz Spaniol, material from Basler Zeitung . June 18, 2002, accessed October 4, 2018 .
- International flight no. 229: Soyuz TM-34. In: spacefacts.de, Joachim Becker. Retrieved February 8, 2017 .
- Africa reaches for the stars. In: bluewin.ch . 20, accessed September 8, 2019 .
- No understanding, no answers. In: thueringer-allgemeine.de . April 20, 2012, Retrieved October 25, 2019 .
- scm-handball.de : 10 years ago today, SC Magdeburg won the Champions League ( Memento from January 16, 2017 in the Internet Archive )