This article covers breaking news and events in August 2002.
Thursday August 1, 2002
- Frankfurt am Main , Cologne / Germany : Deutsche Bahn AG commences official shuttle operations on the new Cologne-Rhine / Main line .
Friday 2nd August 2002
- Berlin / Germany : According to Berlin's Senator for Economic Affairs Gregor Gysi ( PDS ), the chairman of the Greens parliamentary group in the Bundestag, Rezzo hose , also declares that he used frequent flyer bonus miles , which were credited for business flights, for private purposes.
- Berlin , Cologne / Germany : The airline Lufthansa and the taxpayers' association reject the accusation that they published private customer data or favored its publication. In the specific case, it is about the politician Gregor Gysi .
- Germany : SPD - General Secretary Franz Müntefering files criminal charges against the Bild-Zeitung , the taxpayers' association and its former employee Axel Müller for the publication of Gregor Gysi's private travel data .
- Dusseldorf / Germany : The Court of Appeal confirmed a preliminary injunction that prevents the energy company E.ON Holding the Ruhrgas AG takes over. First the Federal Cartel Office prohibited the takeover, then a ministerial permit paved the way again, and then competing companies took legal action before the Higher Regional Court.
- Munich / Germany : The police are trying to prevent the " chaos " with 1,700 police officers. On the Internet it was asked to organize Chaostage in Munich as well. This is probably a joke.
Saturday 3rd August 2002
- Germany : Chancellor Gerhard Schröder and Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer point out that the Middle East conflict must first be resolved in the face of an impending war against Iraq under the leadership of the United States .
- Sudan : The hostage-taking of four development workers in the south of the country comes to an end with the release of the last two hostages. Two German and two Kenyan World Vision employees were kidnapped on July 29th on behalf of a local warlord . A Kenyan was killed. A German hostage was released on August 1st.
Sunday 4th August 2002
- La Paz / Bolivia : The parliament decides in a runoff election between Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada from the Revolutionary Nationalist Movement and Evo Morales from the Movement towards Socialism , which of the two will be president of Bolivia in the future . After around 24 hours of meeting, the vote was taken on Sánchez de Lozada, who was president from 1993 to 1997.
- Munich / Germany : The CSU politician Edmund Stoiber calls for restraint in the Iraq discussion .
Monday 5th August 2002
- Berlin / Germany : The federal government bans Al-Aqsa e. V. , this wants to take legal action against the ban
Wednesday August 7, 2002
- Nuremberg / Germany : The Federal Employment Agency puts the number of unemployed in July 2002 at 4.47 million nationwide, which corresponds to a rate of 9.7%. Chancellor Schröder is blamed for the increased number of unemployed around two months before the federal election by various media.
Thursday August 8, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : The Federal Minister for Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection Renate Künast announces that organic farming is still on the advance. There are now around 15,000 organic farms in Germany.
- Munich / Germany : A former soldier is sentenced to five years in prison for the rape of a 17-year-old Bundeswehr applicant.
Friday August 9, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : The Hartz Commission for the reform of the labor market agrees on a common position. Meanwhile , Bundesbank President Ernst Welteke criticizes the concept of job floaters .
- Dresden / Germany : At the opening of an exhibition on the White Rose, Federal Family Minister Christine Bergmann calls for the fight against right-wing extremism and xenophobia.
Sunday 11th August 2002
- Germany : Employer President Dieter Hundt criticizes the Hartz concept . The reform proposals did not go far enough. However, some things make sense. Further critical tones came from CDU boss Angela Merkel and CSU boss Edmund Stoiber . The head of the German trade union federation, Michael Sommer , expressed praise . He warned not to talk the proposals to death.
- Munich / Germany : At the end of the 18th European Athletics Championships in the Munich Olympic Stadium , the 1972 Olympic attack is commemorated. The medal haul in Germany remains two gold medals short of expectations. Switzerland booked a silver medal.
Monday August 12, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : Chancellor Gerhard Schröder announces the rapid implementation of Hartz's proposals . The Greens and the German Federation of Trade Unions also welcome the results of the commission. On behalf of the CDU, Lothar Späth criticizes the Hartz concept as the basis for hidden subsidies, which, however, would not create any jobs.
- Dresden / Germany : Unusually heavy rainfall, triggered by a Vb location , causes severe flooding on numerous mountain rivers. At the DWD's Zinnwald-Georgenfeld weather station, 312 liters per square meter fall within 24 hours. From the late afternoon hours, disaster alarms are issued in numerous counties. In the afternoon, the Glashütte retention basin breaks .
Tuesday August 13, 2002
- Bavaria , Saxony / Germany : The flood situation in the affected areas continues to worsen. The water of the Elbe reaches the Dresden Zwinger and the Semperoper . In Passau the old town, v. a. because of the extreme water level of the Inn , flooded.
Thursday August 15, 2002
- Heidenau , Pirna / Germany : The Elbe continues to rise . From 3 p.m., around 30,000 residents of Heidenau, where the Müglitz flood will soon reach the Elbe, and Pirna will be evacuated. It is the largest measure of its kind in Saxony since the Second World War . Most of the places in the Ore Mountains to the south have already passed the extreme floods, z. B. the place Schlottwitz in the valley of the Müglitz.
Friday August 16, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : In the French Cathedral , the Hartz Commission presents its 343-page final report on the restructuring of the labor market and Peter Hartz is convinced that the number of unemployed in Germany will decrease by 50% due to the ideas of his commission.
Sunday 25th August 2002
- Berlin / Germany : On the occasion of the 2002 elections meet incumbent Gerhard Schröder ( SPD ) and challenger Edmund Stoiber ( Christian Democrats ) in one of Kloeppel and Peter Limbourg moderated TV - debate each other. The opinion polls immediately after the end of the duel showed that Schröder was able to sell himself and his ideas better than his opponent.
Monday August 26, 2002
- Johannesburg / South Africa : The world summit for sustainable development with government, business and NGO representatives begins. They are negotiating the goals of the United Nations Millennium Declaration of 2000.
- Leipzig / Germany : The Federal Administrative Court begins its work in the former building of the Reich Court (until 1945). It previously resided in Berlin and Munich .
Friday August 30, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : three weeks before the 2002 federal election , the political mood is changing. For the first time, the polls see a majority for the incumbent red-green government under Chancellor Gerhard Schröder . The Chancellor candidate of the Union parties Edmund Stoiber is losing support.
- London / United Kingdom : Herbert Grönemeyer releases his eleventh studio album on the music label Grönland Records . It's called human .
- Nekrolog August 2002 for deaths that month
- List of annually recurring commemorative and action days in August
- Category for commemorative days, holidays or action days in August
- At 300from the Rhine to the Main. In: ingenieur.de, Association of German Engineers . July 26, 2002, accessed November 27, 2018 .
- Müntefering justifies “picture” advertisement. In: stern.de . August 5, 2002. Retrieved July 17, 2017 .
- Ministerialfor E.ON / Ruhrgas merger is being renegotiated. In: udo-leuschner.de . Retrieved September 18, 2018 .
- "The worst was the uncertainty". In: spiegel.de . August 6, 2002, accessed December 4, 2014 .
- Well-known President - unknown Parliament. In: kas.de . August 12, 2002. Retrieved November 23, 2018 .
- How a radical law was initiated by two former radicals. In: heise.de/tp . December 22, 2014, accessed July 21, 2017 .
- 30,000 people have to leave Pirna and Heidenau. In: spiegel.de . August 15, 2002, accessed September 18, 2018 .
- Ich-AG, mini job, Federal Agency. In: sueddeutsche.de . May 17, 2010. Retrieved August 12, 2017 .
- Ready to duel. In: stern.de . April 25, 2002. Retrieved August 17, 2017 .
- Schröder was better received than Stoiber. In: rhein-zeitung.de . August 25, 2002. Retrieved August 17, 2017 .
- Johannesburg Summit 2002. In: unric.org . July 2002, accessed September 20, 2016 .
- The history of the building. In: bverwg.de . Retrieved November 20, 2018 .
- How accurate are election forecasts? In: derwesten.de . September 6, 2013, accessed July 21, 2017 .
- Human, Lyrics. In: songtexte-lyrics.de, Christoph Worm. August 17, 2017, accessed on August 17, 2017 : "Release Date: 08/30/2002"