Peter Gert Johannes Kloeppel (born October 14, 1958 in Frankfurt am Main ) is a German journalist and television presenter . He has been the chief presenter of RTL Aktuell since 1992 and was editor-in-chief of RTL from 2004 to 2014 .
After graduating from the Humboldt School in Bad Homburg in 1977 , he completed his military service with the Air Force in Pinneberg and Kerpen . He then began studying agricultural sciences at the Georg-August University in Göttingen , which he graduated in 1983 as a graduate agricultural engineer (specializing in animal production). From November 1983 to April 1985 he attended the Henri Nannen School of Journalism in Hamburg ; his course included the writer Jörg-Uwe Albig and the Eastern Europe correspondent Thomas Urban . During this time he gained his first journalistic experience with contributions for RTL plus in Luxembourg .
From 1985 Kloeppel worked in the Bonn studio of the private broadcaster RTL plus , where he was promoted to studio manager two years later. In 1990, he was the first US - correspondent for the station to New York . From there he delivered background reports on the Gulf War almost daily from October 1990 to March 1991 .
In April 1992 Peter Kloeppel became chief presenter of Hauptnachrichten RTL aktuell , and from 1993 he was also deputy editor-in-chief. Since 1994, Peter Kloeppel has also moderated all election programs on the federal and state elections on RTL . On November 1, 2004, Kloeppel was appointed editor-in-chief of RTL. On July 30, 2014, Kloeppel announced his resignation from the position of RTL editor-in-chief in order to be able to visit his wife's family in America more often . He remains the chief presenter at RTL. In 2015 he celebrated his 30th anniversary with the company. In a survey carried out by TV Digital 2011, a relative majority (33%) of those surveyed considered Kloeppel to be the most competent male news presenter on German television, and in the same survey he was the best-known male news presenter on German television. According to unofficial information from RTL, Kloeppel earns around one million euros per year as a presenter. In 2009, Kloeppel told Spiegel that he basically refused to work for commercial companies in order to remain journalistically independent.
In addition, Kloeppel founded the RTL Journalist School for TV and Multimedia at the beginning of 2001 , of which he has been director since then and, together with Leonhard Ottinger, also its managing director. He moderated the television duel for the federal elections in 2002, 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2017.
In 2008, Kloeppel took over the patronage of the German School Newspaper Award. As a reading ambassador for the Reading Foundation , he advertises reading in RTL TV spots, among other things. He is also on the Board of Trustees of Journalists Network .
- Television Award of the New York Festival 1993: Awarded in the Best News Anchor category
- Golden Lion : Prize Winner 1996
- Bavarian TV Prize: Winners 1997 & 2012
- Telestar : Prize Winner 1997
- Hans Klein Media Prize : Winners 2001 & 2002
- Golden Gong : Winner 2001
- Adolf Grimme Prize 2002: Awarded in the Special category for his reporting on the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 together with Volker Weicker
- Bambi : 2008 Prize Winner
- RIAS Prize 2009: Awarded for his RTL documentary America between fear and departure
- Literature by and about Peter Kloeppel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Peter Kloeppel in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Interview with Peter Kloeppel from October 14, 2008 on Planet Interview on his 50th birthday
- Video interview with Peter Kloeppel YouTube, video from May 4, 2014
- Celebrities about their time at the federal government
- Henri Nannen School 1979-2004. 25 years . Edited by Inge Kolb . Hamburg 2004, p. 89.
- Peter Kloeppel retires as editor-in-chief . In: Spiegel Online , accessed on July 31, 2014.
- Peter the Great! Exclusive survey in TV DIGITAL: Peter Kloeppel is the best known and most competent news presenter - and a hit with women! presseportal.de; news aktuell GmbH, Hamburg, accessed on July 31, 2014
- Hans-Peter Siebenhaar : Do TV presenters earn too much? In: Handelsblatt . No. 169 , September 4, 2013, ISSN 0017-7296 , p. 24 .
- Buhrow under pressure. In: Der Spiegel , No. 26/2009, p. 115.
- stiftunglesen.de ( Memento of the original from March 11, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kloeppel, Peter Gert Johannes (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|