This article covers breaking news and events in June 2002.
Sunday June 2, 2002
- Milan / Italy : The overall winner of the 85th edition of the wheel - stage race Giro d'Italia goes to the Italians Paolo Savoldelli . It is his first overall victory on this tour and the 60th for an Italian.
Monday June 3, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : According to the State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Health Klaus Theo Schröder , the statutory health insurance generated an estimated deficit of 630 million euros in the first quarter of the current year .
- Washington, DC / United States : The music exchange Napster sought bankruptcy protection , leading to a lawsuit record companies to prevent. The Recording Industry Association of America ( German association of the sound recording industry in America ) sued Napster several times. The Bertelsmann group took over Napster in May and announced that it would settle the debts of the swap exchange in the amount of eight million US dollars .
Tuesday June 4, 2002
- Almaty / Kazakhstan : In talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Asia Summit, India and Pakistan signaled their readiness to search for a peaceful solution to the conflict over the Kashmir region , which India and Pakistan are claiming.
- Tokyo / Japan : The Parliament decided that the Japanese government, the Framework Convention on Climate of the United Nations "of 1997, also called Kyoto Protocol " ratified.
Wednesday June 5, 2002
- Northern district / Israel : 17 people die in a suicide attack by the terrorist organization Islamic Jihad on a bus. At least 40 other people are injured.
- Sulzbach-Rosenberg / Germany : The efforts that have been ongoing since the 1980s to save the Bavarian steelworks Maxhütte fail. 750 steel workers are affected by the closure.
Friday 7th June 2002
- Cottbus / Germany : Cargolifter AG files for bankruptcy at the local court. Their business goal was to develop an airship to transport loads.
- Germany : After the IG BAU call for a work stoppage , 40,000 construction workers take part in warning strikes .
- Nuremberg / Germany : The number of unemployed rose in May by a seasonally adjusted 60,000 to almost four million, compared to the previous year by 225,000. The unemployment rate is 9.5%, much lower in the west with 7.6% than in the east with 12.7%.
Saturday June 8, 2002
- Memphis / United States : The British boxer Lennox Lewis defends in the arena Pyramid the world title of the associations WBC and IBF in the heavyweight division against American Mike Tyson by knockout.
Sunday June 9, 2002
- Paris / France : The first round of the parliamentary elections indicates the continuation of the government under Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin of the Conservative Rally for the Republic (RPR). As part of the Union, the RPR runs for the majority of the President and this receives 33.3% of the vote, over 9% more than its strongest competitor, the Socialist Party .
Friday June 14, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : The German Film Prize in Gold is awarded to Nirgendwo in Afrika by director Caroline Link .
Sunday June 16, 2002
- Paris / France : In the second round of the parliamentary elections, the success of the electoral alliance Union for the President's majority (UMP), also known as "United Rights ", is confirmed. In the UMP possibilities included conservative parties together that the policy of President Jacques Chirac ( RPR ) support. The UMP has 62% of the parliamentary seats, followed by the Socialist Party with 24.3% of the seats.
Monday June 17, 2002
- Biel / Switzerland : Alex Zülle wins the Tour de Suisse cycle tour for the first time and as the 16th Swiss .
Wednesday June 26, 2002
- Kananaskis / Canada : The heads of state of the Group of Eight and the President of the European Commission meet in the city near Calgary for the 28th World Economic Summit .
- Potsdam / Germany : the Brandenburg parliament elects 54 of 82 votes Matthias Platzeck ( SPD ) as the new prime minister of the country Brandenburg , succeeding his party colleague Manfred Stolpe .
Sunday June 30, 2002
- La Paz / Bolivia : In the presidential and parliamentary elections none of the presidential candidates won an absolute majority. There is no run-off election and parliament will elect the future president. The most promising candidate is Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada from the Revolutionary Nationalist Movement , which received the most votes.
- Yokohama / Japan : Brazil wins by a 2: 0 against Germany , the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Japan and South Korea . Ronaldo scored both goals .
- Nekrolog June 2002 for deaths that month
- List of annually recurring commemorative and action days in June
- Category for memorial days, holidays or action days in June
- Elenco Edizioni. In: museociclismo.it, Museo del Ciclismo Associazione. Retrieved October 24, 2017 (Italian).
- Statutory health insurance companies. In: Deutsche Apothekerzeitung . June 9, 2003, accessed September 18, 2018 .
- Bertelsmann takes over Napster. In: faz.net . May 19, 2002. Retrieved June 20, 2017 .
- Napster applies for bankruptcy protection. In: heise.de . June 4, 2002, accessed June 20, 2017 .
- Osama's great game. In: ots.at, Austria Press Agency , material from Die Presse . June 5, 2002, accessed September 27, 2018 .
- Barbara Volmert: Legal issues relating to the linking of emissions trading systems . Kassel university press, Kassel 2016, ISBN 978-3-7376-0136-8 , p. 282 .
- 17 Israelis Killed in Megiddo Junction Blast. In: Haaretz.com . June 6, 2002, accessed November 22, 2018 .
- maxhuette360.de: Chronicle of the Maxhütte ( Memento from November 9, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Rescuefor CargoLifter AG. In: europa.eu . October 16, 2002, accessed May 6, 2019 .
- Nationwide warning strike of construction workers on June 7th. In: baulinks.de, Alfons Oebbeke. June 4, 2002, accessed May 6, 2019 .
- Lennox Lewis , boxingnewsonline.net : How I beat Mike Tyson ( Memento from September 9, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- Élections législatives, 9 and 16 June 2002. In: assemblee-nationale.fr . Retrieved October 10, 2018 (French).
- Deutscher Filmpreis, 2002. (No longer available online.) In: deutscher-filmpreis.de . Archived from the original on December 25, 2016 ; Retrieved October 19, 2016 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- After the elections in France. In: zeitschrift-ip.dgap.org . July 1, 2002, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Alex Zülle wins Tour de Suisse. In: faz.net . June 27, 2002. Retrieved May 29, 2017 .
- 2002 Kananaskis Summit. In: g8.utoronto.ca, University of Toronto . Retrieved April 3, 2017 .
- 20 years of the Brandenburg State Parliament - a balance sheet. In: lkv.nomos.de . December 2010, accessed March 25, 2017 .
- Well-known President - unknown Parliament. In: kas.de . Retrieved November 23, 2018 .
- The finale the world has been waiting for. In: fifa.com . Retrieved June 20, 2017 .