This article covers breaking news and events in March 2002.
Friday March 1, 2002
- Cape Canaveral / United States : The space shuttle Columbia takes off for the space mission STS-109 . The crew will be performing maintenance on the Hubble Space Telescope . The “Advanced Camera for Surveys” will also be installed.
- Kourou / French Guiana : An Ariane 5 of the ESA launches its heaviest known freight, the 8.5 t heavy Envisat , into Earth orbit.
- Nanchong / China : In a multi-storey building, fire breaks out in a market that occupies the lower floors of the building. The fire caused the deaths of 19 people.
- Paktia / Afghanistan : In the war in Afghanistan , Allied troops begin Operation Anaconda in the Shah-i-Kot valley in the east of the country. On the insert also taking Special Forces Command of the Armed Forces in part.
Sunday March 3, 2002
- Bern / Switzerland : The referendum on the country's accession to the United Nations takes place. The country is one of the few countries that is not yet part of the organization. At the same time, it is one of the first countries in which the people vote on accession.
Monday March 4, 2002
- Paktia / Afghanistan : An American Chinook helicopter is shot down by Taliban fighters while trying to penetrate the Shahi Kot valley . Seven soldiers die.
- Washington, DC / United States : The International Monetary Fund (IMF) sends a delegation to Argentina to investigate the severe economic crisis in the country, to which the International Monetary Fund is currently no longer granting loans.
Friday March 8, 2002
- Washington, DC / United States : The journal Science published a hypothesis according to which sound waves a cold fusion may trigger a so-called "nuclear fusion in the Jar " or Sonofusion . The article met with widespread rejection among recognized experts.
Sunday March 10, 2002
Monday March 11, 2002
- Harare / Zimbabwe : Robert Mugabe wins the elections with 54% of the vote. Critics complain that Mugabe's opponents have been prevented from casting their vote. Election observers from South Africa and the Organization for African Unity speak of a fair election.
Tuesday March 12, 2002
- Palestinian Territories : Israeli ground forces advance into the autonomous areas of Gaza Strip and West Bank . It is the largest movement of troops since the 1982 invasion of Lebanon . Dozens of tanks occupy Ramallah .
Thursday March 14, 2002
- Hamburg / Germany : A helicopter of the type SAR71-1 crashes in Hamburg-Hummelsbüttel . All five crew members are killed.
Friday March 15, 2002
Sunday March 17, 2002
Monday March 18, 2002
- Afghanistan : US General Tommy Franks declares Operation Anaconda over. The operation was an undeniable and complete success, so Franks. The Taliban and Al Qaeda have been driven out of the Shahi Kot Valley. Eight US soldiers and 100 to 1,000 opposing fighters were killed in combat.
Tuesday March 19, 2002
- Bologna / Italy : Government advisor Marco Biagi is murdered by a splinter group of the Red Brigades .
Thursday March 21, 2002
- Lima / Peru : A car bomb near the US embassy kills nine people and injures 25 others. A few days later, US President George W. Bush wants to visit the city.
Friday March 22, 2002
- Berlin / Germany : The Federal Council votes on the Immigration Act . The decisive votes come from Brandenburg , which is governed by a grand coalition . Prime Minister Manfred Stolpe from the SPD votes with “yes”, Jörg Schönbohm from the CDU clearly calls out a “no” in between. Federal Council President Klaus Wowereit of the SPD allows the votes to apply, although in the event of a state government disagreement, the votes must be regarded as “abstentions”. The Federal Constitutional Court later revoked the Federal Council's decision. The law ends up in the mediation committee .
Saturday March 23, 2002
- Rome / Italy : Two to three million union members gather to commemorate the murder of Marco Biagi , an advisor to the labor minister, by the newly formed Red Brigades . They are protesting against the laws aimed at by Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to relax the protection against dismissal . The workers' leaders are threatening a general strike if the laws are passed.
Sunday March 24, 2002
- Los Angeles / United States : At the 74th Academy Awards , the musical film Chicago is chosen as the best film. Best actor is Adrien Brody for his role as “Wladyslaw Szpilman” in Roman Polański's The Pianist . Best actress is Nicole Kidman for her impersonation of Virginia Woolf in The Hours - From Eternity to Eternity .
Wednesday March 27, 2002
- Netanya / Israel : At the beginning of the Jewish Passover festival, a militant Palestinian kills 28 people with him.
Thursday March 28, 2002
- Baghlan / Afghanistan : Heavy earthquakes have been shaking the northern Afghan province of Baghlan since Monday. Experts from the United Nations and the Technical Relief Agency fear that up to 4,800 people have been killed and 150,000 have been left homeless. The German contingent of the International Protection Force (ISAF ) is also participating in the aid measures, which have started quickly .
Friday March 29, 2002
- Israel , Palestinian Territories : A Palestinian suicide bomber wounded 32 people in a cafe in Tel Aviv . The Israel Defense Forces are responding to this last in a series of attacks with an offensive against the city of Ramallah in the autonomous territories. The headquarters of the President of the Autonomous Authority Yasser Arafat is occupied and the Israeli government calls for the partial mobilization of an initial 20,000 reservists for Operation Schutzschild .
Saturday March 30, 2002
- Ramallah / Palestinian Territories : Israeli soldiers deliver a firefight with security guards of the President of the Palestinian Authority Yasser Arafat , which under strong distress at the headquarters endure the Authority.
Sunday March 31, 2002
- Haifa / Israel : A Palestinian suicide bomber kills himself and 14 people in Haifa. Later, an assassin blows himself up in an intensive care unit in a Haifa hospital. According to the Associated Press , 1,262 Palestinians and 401 Israelis have died in the past 18 months.
- Kiev / Ukraine : The parliamentary elections bring Viktor Yushchenko a political comeback. The head of government, who was deposed in 2001, formed the new Alliance Our Ukraine , which ranks first among voters in today's election. It is followed in second place by the Communist Party .
- Nekrolog March 2002 for deaths that month
- List of annually recurring commemorative and action days in March
- Category for commemorative days, holidays or action days in March
- disasters in residential buildings in the past 15 years. In: nachrichten.at . June 14, 2017. Retrieved September 28, 2018 .
- George E. Peoples, Tad Gerlinger, Robert Craig, Brian Burlingame: Combat casualties in Afghanistan cared for by a single Forward Surgical Team during the initial phases of Operation Enduring Freedom . In: Military Medicine . tape 170 , no. 6 , 2005, ISSN 0026-4075 , p. 462-468 , PMID 16001592 (English).
- Flexible security staff for assignments abroad. (PDF): hsfk.de . 2013, accessed December 1, 2018 .
- IMF Sending Mission to Argentina. In: imf.org . March 4, 2002, accessed October 19, 2016 .
- Hints of nuclear fusion found - maybe. In: phschool.com . March 9, 2002, accessed May 4, 2019 .
- Domestic Policy. In: Auswaertiges-amt.de . Retrieved September 17, 2016 .
- The 74th Academy Awards. In: oscars.org . Retrieved February 1, 2017 .
- Terror attack at Tel Aviv cafe, 29 wounded. In: cnn.com . March 30, 2002, accessed December 1, 2018 .
- Mordechai Bar-On (Ed.): Never-Ending Conflict: Israeli Military History . Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg 2006, ISBN 978-0-8117-3345-8 , pp. 237 .
- Arafat Appeals for Help as Israel Presses Crackdown. In: latimes.com . March 31, 2002, accessed January 9, 2020 .
- The Ukrainian parliamentary elections and the new Verkhovna Rada. In: swp-berlin.de . June 18, 2002, accessed May 4, 2019 .