After 16 years as chancellor, Helmut Kohl is defeated by his challenger Gerhard Schröder in the federal election on September 27th . The first red-green coalition at federal level takes place.
The Cambodian dictator Pol Pot dies.
The Lewinsky affair breaks out in the USA .
The Kyoto Protocol is signed.
|1998 in other calendars|
|From urbe condita||2751|
|- era||4694-4695 or
|- 60 year cycle|
- CCVI CCVII
|- Vikram Sambat||2054-2055|
|- Shaka Samvat||1920-1921|
|- Nengō (era):||Heisei 10|
|- Dangun era||4331|
|- Juche era||87|
|Thai solar calendar||2541|
- The pig's ear (Gomphus clavatus) is mushroom of the year . ( German Society for Mycology )
- The skylark (Alauda arvensis) is bird of the year . ( NABU / Germany)
- The wild pear (Pyrus communis) is tree of the year . (Board of Trustees Tree of the Year / Germany)
- The marsh stendellum (Epipactis palustris) is orchid of the year . (Working group on domestic orchids / Germany)
- Sage is medicinal plant of the year . (Association of Medicinal Herb Friends Germany e.V.)
- The toad (bombina) is animal of the year . (Protection Association of German Wildlife)
- The Strömer (Leuciscus souffia agassizi) is the fish of the year . (Association of German Sport Fishermen e.V.)
- The white horned Heidschnucke and the old German herding dog are pets of the year . ( GO )
Politics and world events
- January 1st : Flavio Cotti becomes President of Switzerland again .
- January 1st : Germany . The resolution on the abolition of the trade capital tax comes into force.
- January 1st : Germany. The solidarity surcharge will be reduced from 7.5 to 5.5%.
- January 1st : Honduras . Carlos Roberto Flores Facussé takes up his post as Head of State and Government.
- January 1st : Maldives . The new constitution comes into force.
- January 1st : Cooperation agreement between Macedonia and the EU
- January 2 : H5N1 avian flu outbreak in Hong Kong
- January 4th : Israel . Foreign Secretary David Levy resigns.
- January 4th : Valdas Adamkus becomes President of Lithuania .
- January 7th : Ottawa , Canada . The legal right of the indigenous people to the land they had settled before the arrival of the Europeans is confirmed by the Supreme Court.
- January 11th : Cuba . Direct elections to the National Assembly
- January 16 : The Presidents of the USA , Estonia , Latvia and Lithuania sign the "US-Baltic Charter of Partnership".
- January 16 : The Bundestag approves the eavesdropping .
- January 17 : The Drudge Report website speculates about an affair in the White House in which US President Bill Clinton is believed to be involved. When the Washington Post picks up the subject four days later, the Lewinsky affair unfolds .
- January 21 : Pope John Paul II visits Cuba .
- February 1 : Costa Rica . Miguel Anguel Rodriguez Echeverría becomes head of state and government
- February 1 : Lithuania. Association agreement with the EU
- February 3 : Armenia . President Levon Ter-Petrosyan resigns
- February 5th : Germany. Federal President Roman Herzog on a state visit to Ukraine
- February 6 : Corsica , France . The Prefect Claude Erignac is shot dead in the street
- February 8 : A referendum in Bavaria removes the passage on the death penalty from the Bavarian state constitution.
- February 9 : Georgia . Second assassination attempt on Eduard Shevardnadze
- February 16 : The parliamentary elections begin in India and last several days until March 7th.
- February 10 : The death penalty in Azerbaijan is abolished.
- February 17 : In its 10th radio ruling, the Federal Constitutional Court gives television stations a free short reporting right to prevent an information monopoly.
- February 24th : Laos . Khamtay Siphandone becomes president
- February 28 : The situation in Kosovo escalates
- March 1st : Cooperation agreement between Tunisia and the EU
- March 1 : The partnership and cooperation agreement between Germany and Ukraine comes into force
- March 4th : Israel . President Ezer Weizmann is confirmed in his office
- March 10 : Chile . General Augusto Pinochet Ugarte resigns from his position as Army Commander-in-Chief
- March 10 : Indonesia . Hadji Mohamed Suharto is confirmed as Head of State and Government for the sixth time
- March 11 : Denmark . Prime Minister Poul Nyrup Rasmussen is confirmed in office
- March 15 : Sofia , Bulgaria . Visit of Pope John Paul II
- March 17th : People's Republic of China . Zhu Rongji becomes Prime Minister. President Jiang Zemin is confirmed in office
- March 17th : The state of emergency in Zambia is lifted
- March 18 : Windows 98 released .
- March 19 : India . Atal Bihari Vajpayee becomes Prime Minister
- March 23 : In Russia, President Boris Yeltsin surprisingly dismisses long-term Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin and the entire cabinet. Energy Minister Sergej Kirijenko will be the acting Prime Minister .
- March 25 : Argentina . Repeal of the 1987 amnesty laws
- March 25 : Kyrgyzstan . Kubanischbek Schumalijew becomes the new head of government
- March 30 : Prince Ranariddh returns to Cambodia from exile
- March 31 : Negotiations on Estonia's EU accession begin
- March 31 : The Bavarian Border Police is merged with the Bavarian State Police .
- April 1 : Bolivia , Ecuador , Colombia , Peru and Venezuela sign a treaty for better cooperation and the fight against drugs
- April 1 : Botswana . President Quett Ketumile Joni Masire resigns at the age of 72. Festus Gontobanye Mogae is the new president
- April 9 : Armenia. Robert Kocharyan becomes president
- April 10 : Multi-party talks between Great Britain and Ireland
- April 15 : Pol Pot dies in Cambodia
- April 18 : People's Republic of China. Wang Dan , a critic of the regime, has been released early from prison for health reasons
- April 18 : Great Britain signs peace agreement with the IRA
- April 19 : Thomas Klestil is in office as president in Austria confirmed
- April 20 : Dissolution of the Red Army Faction
- April 22nd : Concordat between the Holy See and Saxony-Anhalt
- April 23 : Belgium . The alleged child killer Marc Dutroux breaks out of prison
- April 24th : Rwanda . 22 death sentences are carried out publicly
- April 24 : Moscow: The Russian State Duma confirms 35-year-old Sergei Kiriyenko, proposed by President Boris Yeltsin , as prime minister in a secret ballot after he had previously been rejected twice.
- April 26 : Guatemala City , Guatemala . Bishop Juan Gerardi is murdered
- April 29 : The Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change is signed by 20 other countries and the European Union ; in total there are 34 signatories, including Germany , Austria and Switzerland
- 30 April : Peace agreement for Northern Ireland ( " Good Friday Agreement ", English "Good Friday Agreement" )
- May 2 : The heads of state and government of the European Union decide to introduce the euro in Brussels.
- May 4th : Armenia. Foreign Minister Wartan Oskanjan visits Germany
- May 4 : Alois Estermann is named commander of the Swiss Guard and murdered ten hours later
- May 7 : Referendum on the establishment of a Greater London Authority
- May 9 : Algiers , Algeria . Bomb explosion in a cafe. 17 injured
- May 11 : India . Underground nuclear tests
- May 12 : Border dispute between Eritrea and Ethiopia
- May 13 : India: Underground nuclear tests
- May 15 : Benin . President Mathieu Kérékou will also take on the post of head of government
- May 21 : Indonesia Resignation of President Suharto
- May 22nd : Belfast: Referendum in Northern Ireland on the Good Friday Agreement
- May 22nd : Dublin: Referendum in the Republic of Ireland on the Good Friday Agreement
- May 22nd : Algeria. Bomb attack in El-Harrach . 15 dead
- May 24 : Parliamentary elections in Senegal
- May 26th : Framework agreement between Germany and Colombia on technical cooperation
- June 3rd : Creation of Attac
- June 5 : Air strikes between Eritrea and Ethiopia on both sides
- June 6 : Burundi . Beginning of the transitional constitution
- June 8 : Nigeria . Release of all political prisoners
- June 12 : Burundi. Pierre Buyoya becomes president of the transitional government
- June 15 : Bosnia and Herzegovina . The United Nations Security Council extends the mandate of the SFOR peacekeeping force
- June 15 : Cooperation agreement between Bahrain and the EU
- June 15 : Burundi. First peace talks with Tanzania
- June 21 : Gnassingbé Eyadéma is confirmed in office as President of Togo
- June 21 : Burundi. Armistice treaty with the Hutu rebels
- June 22nd : Bosnia and Herzegovina. The "Convertibilna Marka" replaces all three existing currencies
- June 23 : The newly built Bangabandhu Bridge is opened to rail and car traffic in Bangladesh .
- June 25 : People's Republic of China. US President Bill Clinton arrives in a multi-day visit to Beijing a
- June 25th : Great Britain. Elections in Northern Ireland
- June 29 : Denmark . A stricter law on foreigners comes into force
- June 30 : First local elections in Mozambique
- July 6 : The newly built Hong Kong International Airport on Chek Lap Kok Island begins operations and replaces Kai Tak Airport .
- July 8 : Viktor Orbán becomes Prime Minister of Hungary
- July 12th : Jamil Mahuad becomes President of Ecuador
- July 17 : Iraq and Syria sign a new oil pipeline agreement
- July 21 : Alan Shepard , the first American in space , dies
- July 22 : Iran successfully tests a medium-range missile. Range about 1,300 km
- July 26th : First own national elections in Cambodia
- July 27 : Germany and Armenia sign a financial cooperation agreement
- July 30th : Japan . The previous Foreign Minister Keizo Obuchi will be the new head of government
- July 31 : People's Republic of China. Beijing's former Mayor Chen Xitong has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for corruption (US $ 2.2 billion)
- August 2 : Military troops from Rwanda and Uganda invade the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- August 3 : Armistice treaty between Eritrea and Ethiopia
- August 7 : Bomb attack on the US embassies in Dar es Salaam , Tanzania, killing ten, as well as Nairobi , Kenya , killing 253 and injuring over 5,000
- August 8 : Iran . The Iranian diplomats in Afghanistan are murdered
- August 10 : Ecuador . Jamil Mahuad becomes president
- August 12 : Bhutan . King Jigme Singye Wangchuck decides that the government will no longer be appointed by him, but will be elected
- August 17th : Russia declares national bankruptcy .
- August 20 : Operation Infinite Reach : In retaliation for the bombings on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania , the US air force surprisingly attacks targets in Afghanistan and Sudan . Cruise missiles fired from warships also destroy the Ash Shifa pharmaceutical factory in al-Chartum Bahri , Sudan .
- August 23 : Moscow: Russian President Boris Yeltsin surprisingly dismisses Prime Minister Sergei Kirijenko after only five months in office.
- August 25 : The new Weser bridge of the Mittelland Canal in Minden is released for shipping
- August 28 : Belize . Said Wilbert Musa becomes Prime Minister
- August 31 : Algiers , Algeria. Bomb attack. 19 dead, 60 injured
- September 2 : Plane crash in front of Peggy's Cove , Nova Scotia of Swissair Flight 111 with 229 deaths.
- September 2nd : Arusha , Tanzania . With the Akayesu judgment of the International Criminal Court for Rwanda , a conviction based on the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide ensues for the first time in legal history .
- September 4th : Signing of the Wye II Agreement in Sharm El-Sheikh , Egypt
- September 4th Establishment of Google , Inc. in Menlo Park, California by Stanford University Ph.D. Candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
- September 11th : Bucheon : A gas sales point had a serious gas accident .
- September 18 : Algeria. Bomb attack in Tiaret . 22 dead, 30 injured
- September 25 : Mikuláš Dzurinda becomes Prime Minister in Slovakia
- September 27 : Elections to the 14th Bundestag of the Federal Republic of Germany lead to the end of the 16-year-old " Kohl era ", Gerhard Schröder becomes Federal Chancellor in a coalition of the SPD and the Greens . The latter are thus involved in the federal government for the first time in their history
- September 28 : Albania . Prime Minister Fatos Nano resigns
- September 29 : Albania. Pandeli Majko becomes the new head of government
- October 3 : In Australia , Prime Minister John Winston Howard is confirmed in office
- October 4th : Fernando Henrique Cardoso becomes President of Brazil for the second time
- October 6 : Vernon Shaw becomes President of Dominica .
- October 6 : British Prime Minister Tony Blair visits the People's Republic of China .
- October 9 : Ariel Sharon becomes Israel's new foreign minister.
- October 9 : The Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi resigns.
- October 11 : Heydər Əliyev is re-elected as president in the presidential elections in Azerbaijan .
- October 11 : At the award ceremony of the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade , award winner Martin Walser triggers the Walser-Bubis controversy with his speech in the Paulskirche in Frankfurt .
- October 15 : Kyrgyzstan joins the World Trade Organization (WTO)
- October 16 : Former dictator Augusto Pinochet Ugarte of Chile is placed under house arrest in London
- October 16 : In the Maldives , President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom is re-elected for five years
- October 17 : There is a referendum in Kyrgyzstan on the introduction of private land ownership.
- October 18 : Parliamentary elections in Macedonia
- October 21 : Massimo D'Alema becomes the new head of government in Italy.
- October 26th : Wolfgang Thierse is elected President of the German Bundestag.
- October 27 : Gerhard Schröder is elected German Chancellor.
- October 28 : The London Supreme Court overturns the arrest warrant for Augusto Pinochet Ugarte.
- November 8 : In a referendum in New Caledonia , the Nouméa Agreement , signed a few months earlier, is approved by voters.
- November 10 : Estonia . Poland . Slovenia . Czech Republic . Hungary . Start of accession negotiations with the EU
- November 15 : Burkina Faso . Blaise Compaoré is elected President for the second time
- November 21 : Iran . The Iranian opposition members Dariush and Parwaneh Forouhar are murdered in Tehran
- November 23 : People's Republic of China. State and party leader Jiang Zemin and President Boris Yeltsin , Russia, sign the border agreement covering the entire border between the two states in Moscow , Russia
- November 24 : Émile Lahoud becomes President of Lebanon
- November 24th : Sailele Tuilaʻepa Malielegaoi becomes Prime Minister in Samoa
- November 25 : The Supreme Court in London, UK, withdraws the waiver of Augusto Pinochet Ugarte's arrest warrant
- November 26th : Ireland . Tony Blair is addressing the Irish Parliament, making him the first UK Prime Minister since the Republic of Ireland was founded to be allowed to address Parliament
- November 29th : People's Republic of China. Visit of the head of state and party leader Jiang Zemin to Japan . This is also the first visit by a Chinese president to Japan
- November 30 : Hun Sen takes office as head of government of Cambodia
- November 30 : General elections in Syria
- December 1 : Albania. The first democratic constitution comes into force
- December 5 : The Kuomintang asserts its governing majority in the election of the legislative yuan of the Republic of China (Taiwan) .
- December 6th : El Hadi Omar Bongo Ondimba becomes President of Gabon again after democratic elections
- December 6th : In Venezuela , Hugo Chávez wins the presidential elections with an anti-corruption and anti-poverty campaign that earns him 56 percent of the vote.
- December 7th : the Alliance for Work, Training and Competitiveness met for the first time.
- December 10 : Bulgaria . Abolition of the death penalty
- December 14th : Guinea . President Lansana Conté is confirmed in office
- December 15 : Algeria . Smail Hamdani becomes Prime Minister
- 16th bis 18th December : US-British air strikes against Iraq ( " Operation Desert Fox ")
- December 17 : The Supreme Court in London, Great Britain, reverses the decision against the lifting of the arrest warrant against Augusto Pinochet Ugarte
- December 18 : Guinea . Re-election of Lansana Conté as President
- December 20th : People's Republic of China. The regime critic Liu Nianchun is released early and deported to the United States
- December 25th : Cambodia. Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea , two former leaders of the Khmer Rouge ( Khmer Rouge ), surrender
- December 26th : Angola . A United Nations plane is shot at by UNITA and crashes. 14 dead
- December 31 : Bulgaria . The IMF is granting a new loan of USD 1.6 billion
- December 31 : Tel Aviv , Israel . The American embassy is evacuated because of bomb threat
The volume of the mergers & acquisitions announced worldwide in 1998 was around 2.5 trillion US dollars, an increase of 55 percent compared to the previous year. Around 20,670 transactions with a total volume of 2.1 trillion US dollars were completed. The combination of Exxon and Mobil to form ExxonMobil , announced on November 27, was the front runner with an announced volume of US $ 86 billion.
- January 20 : The presumably weather-related failure of an old power line conjures up a power crisis in downtown Auckland . The complete supply of electrical energy is provisionally restored there only after five weeks .
- January 26th : The American computer manufacturer Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) is bought by competitor Compaq .
- March 5 : The law on control and transparency in the corporate sector allows German stock corporations to acquire their own shares under certain conditions, which they were previously unauthorized .
- April 1 : Germany. Merger of the steel groups Thyssen and Krupp-Hoesch
- April 22nd : Luxembourg establishes the Central Bank of Luxembourg by law
- May 7th : London , UK. Announcement of the planned merger of Chrysler Corporation and Daimler-Benz AG
- May 22nd : Expo 98 opens in Lisbon , the first world exhibition in Portugal . Her main focus is on the oceans .
- June 1 : The European Central Bank is founded as the legal successor to the European Monetary Institute . Under its President Wim Duisenberg , it is preparing the third and final stage of European Monetary Union , the introduction of the euro as the common currency.
- August 11 : The American Oil Company (Amoco) announces its merger with British Petroleum (BP) .
- August 31 : Bosnia and Herzegovina. The German VW group is reopening its plant in Sarajevo
- September 1 : The new Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank is created through the merger of the Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechselbank with the Bayerische Vereinsbank .
- September 18 : The majority of the shareholders of Daimler-Benz AG and Chrysler Corporation approve the merger of the companies to form DaimlerChrysler AG at their respective general meetings .
- October: Smart starts selling its first car, the smart city-coupé .
- October 8th : Oslo-Gardermoen Airport opens and is one of the most modern airports in Europe.
- Posterijen, Telegrafie en Telefonie, the state post and telecommunications company of the Netherlands is privatized as KPN NV .
- Exxon and Mobil Oil merge
- Formation of the company Citigroup through the merger of Citicorp and Travelers Group
- The Japanese company Daihatsu is taken over by the Japanese company Toyota
- The job parade takes place for the first time
- Foundation of the Center for Digital Technology and Management at LMU / TU Munich
- The Italian company Assicurazioni Generali takes over the majority in the German insurance company Aachener und Münchener .
science and technology
- January 29 : Canada, Japan , Russia , the USA and the member states of the European ESA sign the contract for the construction of the international space station ISS .
- March 24th : First computer-aided bone segment navigation , carried out at the University of Regensburg Clinic
- March 29 : In Lisbon , the Ponte Vasco da Gama is opened to traffic. The structure spans the Tejo River and, at over 17 kilometers in length, is the longest bridge in Europe.
- April 5 : Japan . The longest suspension bridge with 3,911 m is opened.
- July 4th : Japan . Japan's first spacecraft is sent towards Mars.
- September 26 : Discovery of the near-Earth asteroid Itokawa
- December 31 : At midnight, the German coastal radio station Norddeich Radio ceases operations.
- A new species in the genus Archboldomys , the palanan shrew rat, is described.
- The Apple iMac hits the market.
- The drug Viagra ( Sildenafil ) comes onto the market.
- May 4 : In Germany, wreath money , a civil law claim to compensation for women, is abolished after 98 years in view of changed morals .
- September 15 : Brussels , Belgium. The European Commission releases the potency pill Viagra.
- December 10 : In South Africa , Zackie Achmat and others founded the Treatment Action Campaign .
- The lesbian spring meeting takes place in Freiburg im Breisgau under the motto "Let lesbians and lesbians" .
- With the first DNA mass test in Germany, the multiple girl murderer Ronny Rieken is convicted.
- January 6th : Unknown people saw off the head of the sculpture Little Mermaid in Copenhagen harbor a second time. The first vandalism of this kind dates back to 1964 .
- February 13 : The Canberra Museum and Gallery opens.
- March 10th : Cultural agreement between Germany and South Africa . In force since January 10, 2000 .
- June 6 : On the first "Social Day" organized by Schüler Helfen Leben , 35,000 schoolchildren in Schleswig-Holstein swap their school desk for a paid job and donate almost one million euros for charitable purposes.
- August 1 : The spelling reform comes into force in the German-speaking countries .
- The Call a Bike bike rental system is launched in Germany.
- The Armando Museum opens.
- The National Portrait Gallery (Canberra) is founded.
- The Berlin Medical History Museum is (re) opened.
- The Musée d'Art Moderne et Contemporain de Strasbourg opens.
- March 5th : The musical The Boy from Oz premieres in Sydney at His Majesty's Theater.
- May: The third European Youth Choir Festival ( EJCF ) takes place in Basel .
- May 9 : Dana International wins the 43rd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest in Birmingham with the song Diva for Israel .
- September 19 : World premiere of the opera A Streetcar Named Desire by André Previn at the San Francisco Opera .
- British band New Order are celebrating a comeback at Reading Festival after five years of separation.
- Foundation of the band Hybrid Theory, which later changes its name to Linkin Park .
- Doctors publish 13 .
- Pur publish Powerful lot of theater and go on tour.
- Ray of Light by Madonna appears.
- KISS bring out Psycho Circus .
- Modern Talking makes a comeback .
- Cher releases the album Believe .
See also: 1998 number one hits in Australia , Belgium , Denmark , Germany , Finland , France , Ireland , Italy , Japan , Canada , New Zealand , the Netherlands , Norway , Austria , Sweden , Switzerland , Spain , Hungary , the United States and the United Kingdom .
See also: Category: Music 1998
- January 11 : Pope John Paul II writes a papal letter to the German bishops for church pregnancy advice.
- February 21 : Pope John Paul II exceeded the previous maximum number of cardinals in his seventh consistory . At this point in time he created 159 cardinals (previous maximum: Leo XIII with 147 cardinals). Among the newly created cardinals were Christoph Schönborn and Francis George .
- July 18 - August 9 : 13th Lambeth Conference of the Church of England
- September 14th : With the encyclical Fides et ratio ( Faith and Reason ) Pope John Paul II addresses the bishops of the Catholic Church . One message is that not every philosophy is compatible with Christianity .
- October 11 : Pope John Paul II canonize the sister of the order Edith Stein , who was killed in the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp because of her Jewish origin .
- October 24th : Lucian Pulvermacher declares himself Pope Pius XIII. He is the head of the True Catholic Church , a sedevacantist religious group in the northern United States, and claims to be the first rightful Pope since Pius XII, who died 40 years earlier . to be.
- February 26 : total solar eclipse ( Colombia , Venezuela , Caribbean)
- August 22nd : Annular solar eclipse in Indonesia and Malaysia
- February 7. bis 22. February : Winter Olympic Games in Nagano , Japan .
- April 1 : Spain . The " Torfall von Madrid " shortly before the start of the Champions League game between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium delayed the start of the game by 70 minutes. Günther Jauch and Marcel Reif received the Bavarian TV Prize for their reporting (“A goal has already been scored”).
- May 2nd : 1. FC Kaiserslautern is the first to be promoted to become German men's soccer champions.
- June 10th to July 12th : The team of the host France becomes world champion for the first time at the 16th World Cup by beating defending champions Brazil 3-0 in Paris .
- August 27th : The 1. FFC Frankfurt is founded.
- Mika Häkkinen becomes Formula 1 world champion for the first time .
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
- February 2 : A Douglas DC-9 from the Cebu Pacific with 104 people on board crashes into a mountain in the Philippines . Nobody survived.
- February 4 : A 6.1 magnitude earthquake in Tajikistan and Afghanistan kills around 2,300.
- February 14th : A severe flu epidemic is reported in Japan . Around 16,000 schools will be closed as a precaution.
- February 16 : An Airbus A300 of China Airlines missed the runway in Taipei , Taiwan . A total of 203 people die.
- March 24th : A cyclone destroys several villages in Bangladesh . There are over 250 dead and around 3,000 injured.
- April 4 : A landslide triggered by heavy rains in southwestern Iran kills around 120 people.
- May 22 : An earthquake measuring 6.6 in Bolivia kills 105.
- May 30 : A 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck Tajikistan and Afghanistan ; around 4,000 deaths are counted.
- June 3 : ICE accident in Eschede : The ICE " Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen " derailed due to a defective tire near Eschede and tore down a road bridge, 101 people died.
- June 9 : A cyclone in the Indian state of Gujarat destroys thousands of buildings. Approx. 3,000 dead and 100,000 homeless are the result.
- June 27th : An earthquake in southwest Turkey kills about 130 people.
- July 17 : 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit Papua New Guinea , resulting in tsunamis claiming 2,823 lives.
- July to September: Floods on the Yangtze River in China kill more than 3,000 people.
- August 7th : Terrorist attacks are carried out on the US embassies in Nairobi / Kenya and Dar es Salaam / Tanzania , killing over 200 people.
- August 14 : In a landslide in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh , an entire village is buried, over 200 dead.
- September 2 : Swissair flight 111 , an MD-11 , crashes into the sea off Halifax after a fire on board; all 215 passengers and 14 crew members are killed.
- September 18 : 150 of the 388 passengers lost their lives in the sinking of the Princess of the Orient . The largest in the Philippines circulating ferry capsizes in strong winds and high waves after a typhoon .
- October 17 : In the Niger Delta to die in an explosion of an oil - pipeline approximately 1,200 people.
- October 25 : The timber freighter Pallas runs aground off Amrum and causes the heaviest oil spill on the German North Sea coast to date .
- October 30 : Cyclone Mitch kills about 11,000 in Central America .
- December 11th : Surat Thani , Thailand . An Airbus A310 of Thai Airways crashes about three kilometers from the airport and explodes during the approach. 101 people die, 45 can be saved.
- January 1st : Cihad Ateş , Turkish football player
- January 3 : Patrick Cutrone , Italian football player
- January 4th : Krystian Bielik , Polish football player
- January 4th : Colin Dixon , British telemarker
- January 4th : Jonas Hämmerle , German child actor
- January 4th : Coco Jones , American actress and singer
- January 5th : Leonie Schütter , German basketball player
- January 6th : Anna Bockhorst , German soccer goalkeeper
- January 6th : Luc Ackermann , German freestyle motocross rider
- January 6th : Ismail Azzaoui , Belgian football player
- January 8 : Manuel Locatelli , Italian football player
- January 9 : Kerris Dorsey , American actress
- January 12th : Victoria Krug , German soccer player
- January 12 : Rafik Zekhnini , Norwegian football player
- January 13 : Rogério , Brazilian soccer player
- January 14th : Nick Romeo Reimann , German child actor
- January 17th : Luca Schuler , Swiss freestyle skier
- January 19 : Lars Rösti , Swiss ski racer
- January 23 : XXXTentacion , American rapper and singer († 2018 )
- January 23 : Viviana Grisafi , German pop singer
- January 24th : Robin Huser , Swiss football player
- January 26th : Jan Zabystřan , Czech ski racer
- January 27 : Devin Druid , American actor
- January 27 : Roman Kašiar , Czech football player
- January 28 : Electra Mustaine , American musician
- January 28 : Ariel Winter , American actress and singer
- January 29th : Jorge Martín , Spanish motorcycle racer
- January 30th : Malte Karbstein , German soccer player
- February 1 : Laura Freilang , German soccer player
- February 2nd : Lena Pauels , German soccer player
- February 5th : Jascha Baum , German actor
- February 8 : Connor Mills , German child actor
- February 9th : Marina Kaye , French pop singer
- February 10 : Aitor Buñuel , Spanish soccer player
- February 11th : Felix Götze , German soccer player
- February 11th : Jennifer Montag , German athlete
- February 12 : River Radamus , American ski racer
- February 14th : Jonathan Aberdein , South African racing car driver
- February 18 : Simone Lo Faso , Italian soccer player
- February 21 : Adrian Frontzek , German actor
- February 23 : Tom Hoßbach , German actor
- February 25 : Ismaïla Sarr , Senegalese soccer player
- February 27 : Kristian Lauvik Gjelstad , Norwegian telemarker
- February 28 : Jana and Sophia Münster , young German actresses (twin sisters)
- March 3 : Jaylen Barron , American actress
- March 5th : Merih Demiral , Turkish soccer player
- March 5th : Leif Torbjørn Næsvold , Norwegian Nordic combined skier
- March 6 : Leonard Rosemann , German voice actor
- March 8th : Zong Xiao Chen , Chinese dart player
- March 11 : Jessie Fleming , Canadian soccer player
- March 12th : Emma Bading , German actress
- March 15 : Jana Feldkamp , German soccer player
- March 18 : Juliane Frühwirt , German biathlete
- March 18 : Jamie-Lee Kriewitz , German pop singer
- March 20 : Vitor Baptista , Brazilian racing car driver
- March 20 : Lee Suji , South Korean singer
- March 21 : Ralf Aron , Estonian racing car driver
- March 21 : Daniele Neuhaus Turnes , Brazilian soccer player
- March 22nd : Alexander Donchenko , German-Russian chess player
- March 24th : Vitinho , Brazilian soccer player
- March 25 : Ryan Simpkins , American actress
- March 26th : Omar Ayuso , Spanish actor
- March 26th : Darja Gruschina , Russian ski jumper
- March 27 : Haji Wright , American football player
- March 31 : Anna Seidel , German short tracker
- March : Samy Abdel Fattah , German actor
- April 1st : Patryk Szysz , Polish football player
- April 5th : Thomas Laurent , French racing car driver
- April 6 : Linas Banys , Lithuanian biathlete
- April 6 : Lily Jackson , American actress
- April 6 : Peyton List , American actress
- April 7th : Leonie Wesselow , German actress and speaker
- April 8th : Makana Baku , German-Congolese soccer player
- April 8 : Ridle Baku , German-Congolese soccer player
- April 9 : Elle Fanning , American actress
- April 10 : Ashley Ausburn , American actress
- April 13th : Sabrina Simader , Kenyan ski racer
- April 19 : Patrik Laine , Finnish ice hockey player
- April 22nd : Marco Ladner , Austrian ski freestyler
- April 24th : Alina Jungklaus , German swimmer
- April 26th : Emily Bölk , German handball player
- April 26th : Jan-Krzysztof Duda , Polish chess player
- April 29th : Matěj Kopecký , Czech telemarker
- April 30th : Olivia DeJonge , Australian actress
- May 2nd : Mats Köhlert , German soccer player and actor
- May 5th : Aryna Sabalenka , Belarusian tennis player
- May 6 : Claud Adjapong , Italian football player
- May 7th : Katrin Hirtl-Stanggaßinger , German ski racer
- May 7th : Dani Olmo , Spanish soccer player
- May 8th : Jan Vytrval , Czech Nordic combined skier
- May 9 : Moritz Sanders , German basketball player
- May 12 : Paul Hartmann , German actor
- May 12 : Julia Scheib , Austrian ski racer
- May 16 : Melanie Hasler , Swiss bobsleigh driver
- May 17th : Jonas Behounek , German soccer player
- May 17th : Annika Loske , German canoeist
- May 21 : Aymen Barkok , German soccer player
- May 29th : Lucía Gil , Spanish actress and singer
- May 29 : Felix Passlack , German soccer player
- June 2nd : Tereza Mihalíková , Slovak tennis player
- June 5th : Dave , British rapper
- June 6 : Bakery Jatta , Gambian football player
- June 13th : Alessandra Montesano , Italian rower
- June 15 : Rachel Covey , American actress
- June 15 : Hachim Mastour , Moroccan football player
- June 16 : Christoph Frank , German telemarker
- June 16 : Lauren Taylor , American actress and singer
- June 19 : Atticus Shaffer , American actor
- June 20 : Philippe Ernzer , Luxembourg hobby meteorologist
- June 21 : Isabel Atkin , British freestyle skier
- June 24 : Pierre-Luc Dubois , Canadian ice hockey player
- June 25 : Kyle Chalmers , Australian swimmer
- June 28 : Nadine Fest , Austrian ski racer
- June 30th : Houssem Aouar , French-Algerian football player
- July 6th : Svea Engel , German actress
- July 7 : Dylan Sprayberry , American actor
- July 8 : Jaden Smith , American actor
- July 9 : Lindy Ave , German athlete
- July 9 : Robert Capron , American actor
- July 10 : Tiesan-Yesim Atas , German actress
- July 10 : Haley Pullos , American actress
- July 10 : Alyssa Shafer , American actress
- July 13 : Paulina Hobratschk , German actress
- July 17th : Riikka Honkanen , Finnish ski racer
- July 17th : Lilli Schweiger , German actress
- July 18 : Sivert Guttorm Bakken , Norwegian biathlete
- July 22nd : Elisa Lohmann , German volleyball player
- July 22nd : Madison Pettis , American actress
- July 24th : Tara Fischer , German actress
- July 29th : Michael Augustin , Austrian soccer player
- July 29th : Teresa Zurek , German athlete
- July 31 : Rico Rodriguez , American actor
- August 1st : Amelia Smart , Canadian ski racer
- August 3rd : Emily Hegarty , Irish rower
- August 6th : Einar Lurås Oftebro , Norwegian Nordic combined skier
- August 8 : Shawn Mendes , Canadian singer
- August 8 : Ronan Parke , British singer
- August 9th : Panagiotis Retsos , Greek football player
- August 11th : Vebjørn Sørum , Norwegian biathlete
- August 12th : Mariana Cress , Marshallese sprinter
- August 17th : Kristo Ferkic , German actor
- August 27 : Anastassija Sergejewna Silantjewa , Russian ski racer
- August 25 : China Anne McClain , American actress and singer
- August 26 : Jeon So-yeon , South Korean pop singer
- September 4th : Maddi Jane , American singer
- September 6 : Michele Perniola , Italian singer
- September 7th : Damian Hardung , German actor
- September 8th : Alessio Lorandi , Italian racing driver
- September 12th : Johannes Hallervorden , German actor
- September 13 : AJ Terrell , American football player
- September 13 : Pauline Heßler , German ski jumper
- September 18 : Christian Pulisic , American soccer player
- September 19 : Mehmet Çayan , Turkish football player
- September 21 : Lorenzo Brino , American actor († 2020 )
- September 21 : Tadej Pogačar , Slovenian cyclist
- September 22nd : Gina Jacobs , German short tracker
- September 23 : Wladyslaw Vyshnevskyi , Ukrainian snooker player
- September 25th : Chiara Kerper , Austrian musician
- October 1 : Henry Solf , German actor
- October 1 : Danika Yarosh , American actress
- October 5th : Valeria Eisenbart , German actress
- October 5th : Divine Oladipo , British athlete
- October 5th : Exequiel Palacios , Argentine soccer player
- October 6th : Mia-Sophie Wellenbrink , German child singer
- October 8 : Yekaterina Koroljowa , Russian handball player († 2019 )
- October 10 : Fabio Di Giannantonio , Italian motorcycle racer
- October 10 : Job van Uitert , Dutch racing driver
- October 14th : Nina Kaiser , German actress and singer
- October 16 : Jan Hörl , Austrian ski jumper
- October 22nd : Tobias Krick , German volleyball player
- October 23 : Amandla Stenberg , American actress
- October 28 : Nolan Gould , American actor
- October 29th : Lance Stroll , Canadian racing car driver
- October 30th : Tom Lautenschlager , German automobile racing driver
- October 31 : Itzan Escamilla , Spanish actor
- October 31 : Natalie Eilers , Canadian ski jumper
- November 2nd : Vasilije Janjičić , Swiss football player
- November 4th : Darcy Rose Byrnes , American actress
- November 6th : Marco Tumminello , Italian football player
- November 7th : Clemens Leitner , Austrian ski jumper
- November 8 : Leonardo Fernández , Uruguayan soccer player
- November 12th : Marco Bezzecchi , Italian motorcycle racer
- November 12th : Adrien Etiévent , French telemarker
- November 12th : Fanny Stollár , Hungarian tennis player
- November 14th : Sofia Kenin , American tennis player
- November 15th : Ophelia Preller , German canoeist
- November 17 : Kara Hayward , American actress
- November 21 : Colleen Furgeson , Marshallic swimmer
- November 28th : Lara Krause , Austrian singer and songwriter
- November 28th : Theo Sillon , French telemarker
- November 29th : Julia Huber , Austrian ski jumper
- December 1st : Frida Sanggaard Nielsen , Danish rower
- December 2 : Juice Wrld , American rapper († 2019 )
- December 2nd : Amber Montana , American actress
- December 5th : Nicole Cherry , Romanian singer
- December 14th : Lukas Nmecha , German-English soccer player
- December 15th : Somkiat Chantra , Thai motorcycle racer
- December 16 : Casey Larson , American ski jumper
- December 17th : Martin Ødegaard , Norwegian football player
- December 17th : Anthony Petrifke , German actor
- December 18 : Stephan Ambrosius , German-Ghanaian soccer player
- December 20th : Susanne Kreher , German skeleton pilot
- December 20 : Kylian Mbappé , French football player
- December 21 : Luisa Görlich , German ski jumper
- December 22nd : Genevieve Hannelius , American actress and musician
- December 23 : Andreas Alamommo , Finnish ski jumper
- December 28th : Malika Auger-Aliassime , Canadian tennis player
- December 28 : Jared Gilman , American actor
- December 31 : Gianina Ernst , German ski jumper
Exact date unknown
- Nojoud Ali , Yemeni human rights activist and author
- Vincent Borko , German voice actor
- Felix Jordan , German actor
- Pauline Rénevier , German actress
This is a list of the most important people who passed away in 1998. For a more detailed list see Nekrolog 1998 .
- January 1 : Gustl Angstmann , German writer and specialist book author (* 1947 )
- January 1 : Helen Wills Moody , American tennis player (* 1905 )
- January 2 : Fred Naumetz , American football player (* 1922 )
- January 3 : Hans Sion , Cologne beer brewer (* 1911 )
- January 5 : Sonny Bono , American singer, actor and politician (* 1935 )
- January 5 : Wilhelm Herz , German motorcycle racer, motorcycle world record holder (1951) (* 1912 )
- January 6th : Thomas Ellwein , German political scientist (* 1927 )
- January 7 : Richard Hamming , American mathematician (* 1915 )
- January 8 : Rudolf Sigl , full professor and director of the Institute for Astronomical and Physical Geodesy (* 1928 )
- January 11 : Miroslav Raichl , Czech composer and music teacher (* 1930 )
- January 12 : Libuše Moníková , German writer, Czech writer (* 1945 )
- January 13 : Lilianna Zinovievna Lungina , Soviet literary translator (* 1920 )
- January 13 : Andrew C. Berry , American mathematician (* 1906 )
- January 15 : Ahmed Oudjani , Algerian-French football player (* 1937 )
- January 15 : Junior Wells , American blues musician (harmonica) (* 1934 )
- January 16 : Hermann Wedekind , Artistic Director (* 1910 )
- January 17 : Cliffie Stone , American country musician, presenter and producer (born 1917 )
- January 19 : Cornelis Kalkman , Dutch botanist (* 1928 )
- January 19 : Carl Perkins , American rockabilly musician (* 1932 )
- January 20 : Nino Pirrotta , Italian musicologist and teacher (* 1908 )
- January 21 : Jack Lord , American actor (* 1920 )
- January 22nd : Clyde Elmer Anderson , American politician (* 1912 )
- January 22nd : Edward Ferdinand Arn , American lawyer and politician (* 1906 )
- January 23 : John Bridges , British racing car driver (* 1936 )
- January 23 : Hilla Limann , President of Ghana (* 1934 )
- January 23 : Alfredo Ormando , Italian writer (* 1958 )
- January 25 : Peter Aschenbrenner , Austrian alpinist (* 1902 )
- January 25 : Maurice Beerblock , Belgian actor and director (* 1930 )
- January 28 : Shōtarō Ishinomori , Japanese mangaka (* 1938 )
- January 28 : Ernst Klett jr. , German publisher (* 1911 )
- January 30th : Samuel Eilenberg , Polish mathematician (* 1913 )
- February 1 : Marga Faulstich , German glass chemist (* 1915 )
- February 3 : Fat Pat , American rapper (* 1970 )
- February 4 : Paul Schachtschabel , German soil scientist (* 1904 )
- February 6 : Falco (bourgeois Johann * Hans * Hölzel), Austrian singer, musician (* 1957 )
- February 6 : Oscar Thiffault , Canadian folk singer (* 1912 )
- February 6 : Carl Wilson , American musician (* 1946 )
- February 7th : Gunther Baumann , German soccer player (* 1921 )
- February 10 : Pablo Armitano , Venezuelan trumpeter, military bandmaster and music teacher (* 1924 )
- February 12 : Georges Riquier , French actor (* 1918 )
- February 15 : Martha Gellhorn , American writer and reporter (* 1908 )
- February 17th : Nicolas Bouvier , Swiss writer (* 1929 )
- February 17th : Ernst Jünger , German writer and publicist (* 1895 )
- February 19 : Grandpa Jones , American country musician (born 1913 )
- February 19 : Charles Martin , British racing driver (* 1913 )
- February 19 : Mancur Olson , economist (* 1932 )
- February 20 : Wolfgang Arnold , Austrian writer (* 1921 )
- February 22nd : José María de Areilza , Spanish diplomat and politician (* 1909 )
- February 24 : Gerhard Kienbaum , German management consultant (* 1919 )
- February 26 : James Algar , American cartoonist, screenwriter, film director and producer (* 1912 )
- February 26 : Theodore William Schultz , American economist, Nobel Laureate (* 1902 )
- February 26th : Vico Torriani , Swiss singer, actor, showmaster (* 1920 )
- February 27 : George Herbert Hitchings , American scientist and Nobel Prize winner for medicine (* 1905 )
- February 27 : Alice Rivaz , Swiss writer (* 1901 )
- February 27 : James Patrick Walsh , American actor (* 1943 )
- March 1 : Walter Zuber Armstrong , American musician, composer, arranger and university professor (* 1936 )
- March 1 : Sabina Stuhlmann , German actress (* 1936 )
- March 2 : Marcus Adeney , Canadian cellist, composer, music teacher and writer (* 1900 )
- March 4 : Ossip K. Flechtheim , German lawyer, political scientist and founder of futurology in Germany (* 1909 )
- March 8 : Peter Nilson , Swedish astronomer and novelist (* 1937 )
- March 8 : Ray Nitschke , American football player (* 1936 )
- March 9 : Ulrich Schamoni , German film director and media entrepreneur (* 1939 )
- March 12th : Siegfried Seifert , German zoologist (* 1922 )
- March 13 : Judge Dread , British reggae and ska musician (* 1945 )
- March 13 : Hans von Ohain , one of the fathers of the jet engine (* 1911 )
- March 16 : Eugen Eckert , German sculptor and painter (* 1911 )
- March 16 : Wolfgang Grönebaum , German actor (* 1927 )
- March 17th : Jacques Savoye , French entrepreneur and racing driver (* 1905 )
- March 18 : Thomas Mitscherlich , German film director and author (* 1942 )
- March 19 : Klaus Havenstein , German actor, cabaret artist and presenter (* 1922 )
- March 21 : Milton Cruz , Dominican pianist (* 1939 )
- March 21 : Galina Sergejewna Ulanowa , Russian prima ballerina (* 1910 )
- March 27 : Nadija Andrianowa , Ukrainian author, translator and Esperantist (* 1921 )
- March 27 : Ferry Porsche , German-Austrian entrepreneur (* 1909 )
- March 30th : Michèle Arnaud , French chanson singer (* 1919 )
- March 31 : Bella Abzug , American politician and suffragette (* 1920 )
- April 3 : Rob Pilatus , German singer (* 1964 )
- April 3 : Wolf Vostell , German artist (* 1932 )
- April 5 : Cozy Powell , British rock musician, drummer (born 1947 )
- April 6 : Edgar Allen Ablowich , American hurdler and sprinter (* 1913 )
- April 6 : Tammy Wynette , American country singer (born 1942 )
- April 8 : Annemarie Cordes , German actress and voice actress (* 1918 )
- April 11 : Francis Durbridge , English writer (* 1912 )
- April 14 : Jake Colhouer , American football player (born 1922 )
- April 15 : Rose Maddox , American country singer (born 1925 )
- April 15 : Pol Pot , Cambodian politician, "Brother No. 1" of the Khmer Rouge (* 1928 )
- April 16 : Kazimieras Antanavičius , Lithuanian economist and politician (* 1937 )
- April 16 : Fred Davis , snooker player, 3-time world champion (* 1913 )
- April 16 : Marie-Louise Meilleur , Canadian age record holder (* 1880 )
- April 17 : Linda McCartney , American musician and wife of ex-Beatle Paul McCartney (* 1941 )
- April 21 : Ivan Chtcheglov , French artist, activist and poet (* 1933 )
- April 22nd : Régine Pernoud , French medievalist (* 1909 )
- April 23 : Konstantinos Karamanlis , Greek politician (* 1907 )
- April 23 : James Earl Ray , American assassin (* 1928 )
- April 25 : Christian Mortensen , Danish-American age record holder (* 1882 )
- April 27 : Karlhans Paul Abel , German classical philologist (* 1919 )
- April 27 : Van Linh Nguyen , Vietnamese revolutionary and politician (* 1915 )
- April 30 : Roman Maciejewski , Polish composer, pianist and conductor (* 1910 )
- May 1 : Eldridge Cleaver , American writer and co-founder of the Black Panther (* 1935 )
- May 2nd : Hideto Matsumoto , guitarist and founding member of the band "X-Japan" (* 1964 )
- May 3 : René Acht , Swiss painter and graphic artist (* 1920 )
- May 3 : Raimund Harmstorf , German actor (* 1939 )
- May 3 : Gerulf Pannach , German songwriter and lyricist of many GDR rock bands (* 1948 )
- May 3 : Gojko Šušak , Croatian Defense Minister (* 1945 )
- May 4 : Alois Estermann , 31st Commander of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican (* 1954 )
- May 4 : Gerhard Jakob , German auxiliary bishop (* 1933 )
- May 4 : Theodor Oberländer , German politician (* 1905 )
- May 5 : Frithjof Schuon , orientalist and religious philosopher (* 1907 )
- May 6 : Chatichai Choonhavan , Prime Minister of Thailand between 1988 and 1991 (* 1920 )
- May 6 : Erich Mende , German lawyer and politician (FDP and CDU) (* 1916 )
- May 7 : Allan McLeod Cormack , South African-American physicist and Nobel Prize winner for medicine (* 1924 )
- May 7 : Eddie Rabbitt , American country singer and songwriter (* 1941 )
- May 8 : Reece Shipley , American country musician (* 1921 )
- May 9 : Alice Faye , American actress and singer (* 1915 )
- May 11 : Ernst Heinitz , German lawyer and rector of the Free University of Berlin (* 1902 )
- May 11 : Ernst Ising , German mathematician and physicist (* 1900 )
- May 12 : Hermann Lenz , German writer (* 1913 )
- May 14 : Frank Sinatra , American actor, singer and entertainer (* 1915 )
- May 14 : Kay Glasson Taylor , Australian writer (* 1893 )
- May 19 : Edwin Thomas Astley , British film composer (* 1922 )
- May 22 : John Derek , American actor, film director and cameraman (* 1926 )
- May 29 : Barry Goldwater , American politician (* 1909 )
- May 30 : Klaus Hashagen , German composer (* 1924 )
- May 30th : Greta Kraus , Canadian pianist, harpsichordist and music teacher (* 1907 )
- May 31 : Lotti Huber , German actress, singer, dancer (* 1912 )
- May 31 : Stanisław Wisłocki , Polish composer, conductor and music teacher (* 1921 )
- June 1 : Gottfried Dienst , Swiss arbitrator (* 1919 )
- June 3 : Poul Bundgaard , Danish actor and singer (* 1922 )
- June 6 : Svend S. Schultz , Danish composer and conductor (* 1913 )
- June 8th : Sani Abacha , general and military dictator of Nigeria (* 1943 )
- June 8 : Hanna Lachertowa , Polish pianist and music teacher (* 1910 )
- June 10 : Fernando Germani , Italian organist, composer and organ teacher (* 1906 )
- June 11 : Thomas Abernethy , American politician (* 1903 )
- June 13 : Lúcio Costa , Brazilian architect and urban planner (* 1902 )
- June 13 : Birger Ruud , Norwegian ski jumper (* 1911 )
- June 15 : Hartmut Boockmann , German historian (* 1934 )
- June 17 : Joachim Nottke , German author, actor and voice actor (* 1928 )
- June 19 : Alci Sánchez , Venezuelan singer (year of birth unknown)
- June 20 : Ernst Brugger , Swiss politician (* 1914 )
- June 20 : Heinz Ditgens , German football player (* 1914 )
- June 20 : Bobby Gimby , Canadian band leader, trumpeter and songwriter (* 1918 )
- June 21 : Gerhard Gundermann , German singer-songwriter (* 1955 )
- June 22nd : Klaus Piontek , German actor (* 1935 )
- June 23 : Per Anders Fogelström , Swedish writer (* 1917 )
- June 23 : Ida Krottendorf , Austrian actress (* 1927 )
- June 29th : Horst Jankowski , German jazz pianist and band leader (* 1936 )
- June 29 : Frank Rowlett , American mathematician and cryptologist (* 1908 )
- July 1 : Francis Ambrière , French writer and Romanist (* 1907 )
- July 3 : George Lloyd , English composer (* 1913 )
- July 4th : Peter Monteverdi , Swiss car maker and father of the Monteverdi car brand (* 1934 )
- July 5 : Sid Luckman , American football player (born 1916 )
- July 6 : Roy Rogers , American actor (born 1911 )
- July 7th : Ignace Abdo Khalifé , Lebanese bishop in Australia (* 1914 )
- July 8 : Jacques Normand , Canadian singer and entertainer (born 1922 )
- July 12 : James Corbitt Morris , American songwriter and musician (* 1907 )
- July 13 : Watkins Moorman Abbitt , American politician (* 1908 )
- July 14 : Mark Lasarewitsch Gallai , Soviet test pilot and engineer (* 1914 )
- July 14 : Herman D. Koppel , Danish pianist and composer (* 1908 )
- July 14 : Karl Schirdewan , GDR politician (* 1907 )
- July 15 : Karl-Heinz Hiersemann , German politician (* 1944 )
- July 22nd : Hermann Prey , German baritone (* 1929 )
- July 22nd : Antonio Saura , Spanish painter (* 1930 )
- July 23 : Jan Beenakker , Dutch physicist (* 1926 )
- July 23 : Djibril Diop Mambéty , Senegalese actor (* 1945 )
- July 24th : Augustin Augustinović , Croatian religious priest, missionary and writer (* 1917 )
- July 25 : Ludwig Acker , German chemist and food chemist (* 1913 )
- July 25 : Tal Farlow , American jazz guitarist (* 1921 )
- July 28 : William McChesney Martin , US Federal Reserve Chairman (* 1906 )
- July 28 : Consalvo Sanesi , Italian Formula 1 racing driver (* 1911 )
- August 1 : Len Duncan , American racing driver (* 1911 )
- August 2 : Mapy Cortés , Puerto Rican actress (* 1910 )
- August 2nd : Arnold Verhoeven , German politician (* 1905 )
- August 3 : Alfred Schnittke , German-Russian composer and pianist (* 1934 )
- August 4th : Yuri Artjuchin , Soviet air force officer and cosmonaut (* 1930 )
- August 4th : Carmen Delia Dipiní , Puerto Rican singer (* 1927 )
- August 5 : Bernhard Achterberg , German psychologist, psychotherapist and university professor (* 1945 )
- August 5 : Todor Zhivkov , Bulgarian communist politician (* 1911 )
- August 6 : Leo Aario , Finnish geographer and geologist (* 1906 )
- August 6 : André Weil , French mathematician (* 1906 )
- August 7 : Víctor Cruz , Cuban singer, bassist and composer; Pioneer of Cuban and Latin American music in Germany (* 1908 )
- August 8 : László Szabó , Hungarian chess player (* 1917 )
- August 11th : Caro Lamoureux , Canadian singer (* 1904 )
- August 12 : Ida Krehm , Canadian pianist, conductor and music teacher (* 1912 )
- August 13 : Alfred Abegg , Swiss politician (* 1914 )
- August 13 : Julien Green , French writer (* 1900 )
- August 13 : Franz Ott , German politician (* 1910 )
- August 14 : Hans-Joachim Kulenkampff , German actor and television presenter (* 1921 )
- August 14th : August Seeling , Lord Mayor of Duisburg (* 1906 )
- August 16 : Einar Heimisson , Icelandic writer (* 1966 )
- August 18 : Annemarie in der Au , German writer (* 1924 )
- August 18 : Otto Wichterle , Czech chemist (* 1913 )
- August 19 : Hellmut Andics , Austrian journalist and author (* 1922 )
- August 19 : Vasily Alexandrowitsch Archipow , Soviet naval officer (* 1926 )
- August 21 : Alfons Fleischmann , German theologian and university professor (* 1907 )
- August 21 : Norman Symonds , Canadian composer, clarinetist, saxophonist and band leader (* 1920 )
- August 24 : EG Marshall , American actor (* 1914 )
- August 26 : Tamura Ryūichi , Japanese poet (* 1923 )
- August 31 : Pierre Durand , French composer and music teacher (* 1935 )
- September 1 : Franz Scholz , priest and theologian (* 1909 )
- September 1 : Theo Schuster , German chess master and chess journalist (* 1911 )
- September 2 : Allen Drury , American journalist and writer (* 1918 )
- September 2 : Charles A. Ferguson , American linguist (* 1921 )
- September 3 : Wilhelm Traub , German politician (* 1914 )
- September 4th : Inge Aicher-Scholl , cultural worker and writer; Sister of the Scholl siblings (* 1917 )
- September 4 : Hans Brenner , Austrian actor (* 1938 )
- September 5 : Leo Penn , American film director, screenwriter and film producer (* 1921 )
- September 5 : Hotta Yoshie , Japanese writer (* 1918 )
- September 6 : Akira Kurosawa , Japanese director (* 1910 )
- September 8 : Leonid Kinskey , Russian-American actor (* 1903 )
- September 9 : Lucio Battisti , Italian singer (* 1943 )
- September 9 : Heinz Haffter , Swiss classical philologist (* 1905 )
- September 12 : Kurt Wölfflin , Austrian writer (* 1934 )
- September 13 : Alois Grillmeier , Catholic theologian, clergyman (SJ) and cardinal (* 1910 )
- September 14 : Laten Johnny Adams , American blues singer (born 1932 )
- September 14th : Fred Korth , American lawyer and politician (* 1909 )
- September 14 : Yang Shangkun , President of the PR China (* 1907 )
- September 16 : Heinrich Appelt , Austrian historian and diplomat (* 1910 )
- September 17th : Gustav Nezval , Czech actor (* 1907 )
- September 18 : Kurt Hager , member of the Central Committee and the Politburo of the Central Committee of the SED (* 1912 )
- September 19 : Patricia Hayes , British comedian and actress (born 1909 )
- September 21 : Florence Griffith-Joyner , American athlete and Olympic champion (* 1959 )
- September 24th : José Mangual , Puerto Rican percussionist (* 1924 )
- September 26 : Betty Carter , American jazz singer (* 1929 )
- September 29 : Mario Cavagnaro , Peruvian singer-songwriter (* 1926 )
- October 1 : Pauline Julien , Canadian singer and actress (* 1928 )
- October 2 : Gene Autry , American country singer and actor (born 1907 )
- October 2 : Dondi , American graffiti artist (* 1961 )
- October 4 : Jean-Pascal Delamuraz , Swiss politician (* 1936 )
- October 4th : Tony Shelly , New Zealand racing driver (* 1937 )
- October 5 : Jacques Abram , American pianist and music teacher (* 1915 )
- October 6 : Alexander Gray , Canadian singer and music teacher (* 1929 )
- October 7th : Arnold Jacobs , American musician (* 1915 )
- October 10 : Clark M. Clifford , American politician (* 1906 )
- October 12 : Jürgen Walther Ludwig Aschoff , German biologist and behavioral physiologist (* 1913 )
- October 12 : Jan Corazolla , German conductor and cellist (* 1931 )
- October 12 : Bernhard Minetti , German actor (* 1905 )
- October 13 : Ion Cubicec , Salvadoran music teacher and composer (* 1917 )
- October 15 : Rolf Agop , German conductor and university professor (* 1908 )
- October 16 : Jonathan Postel , Internet pioneer (* 1943 )
- October 17th : Antonio Agri , Argentine tango violinist (* 1932 )
- October 17th : Joan Hickson , British actress (born 1906 )
- October 18 : Erhard Theodor Astler , German painter, graphic artist and draftsman (* 1914 )
- October 20 : Gerhard Jahn , German politician (* 1927 )
- October 20 : Franz Tumler , Austrian writer (* 1912 )
- October 21 : Walter Schmiele , German freelance writer and translator (* 1909 )
- October 22 : Eric Ambler , British writer (* 1909 )
- October 25 : Heinz Maegerlein , sports journalist (* 1911 )
- October 28 : Ted Hughes , English writer (born 1930 )
- October 29 : Anthony J. Celebrezze , American politician (* 1910 )
- October 30 : Bulldog Turner , American football player and coach (born 1919 )
- November 4 : Walter Bargatzky , State Secretary and President of the German Red Cross (* 1910 )
- November 5 : Anna Henkel-Grönemeyer , German actress (* 1953 )
- November 6 : Mohammed Taki Abdoulkarim , President of the Comoros (* 1936 )
- November 6 : Niklas Luhmann , German sociologist (* 1927 )
- November 6 : Elias Nijmé , Syrian Archbishop (* 1920 )
- November 7th : Luis Carlos Meyer , Colombian singer and composer (* 1916 )
- November 8 : Jean Marais , French actor (born 1913 )
- November 9 : Roman Cycowski , member of the Comedian Harmonists (* 1901 )
- November 11 : Frank Brimsek , American ice hockey player (* 1913 )
- November 12th : Gwendolyn Koldofsky , Canadian pianist and music teacher (* 1906 )
- November 19 : Earl Kim , American composer and music teacher (* 1920 )
- November 19 : Rudolf Rumetsch , German administrative lawyer, district administrator and ministerial official (* 1921 )
- November 21 : Tadeusz Paciorkiewicz , Polish composer and music teacher (* 1916 )
- November 21 : Peter Suter , Swiss architect (* 1914 )
- November 22nd : Rolando Laserie , Cuban singer (* 1923 )
- November 23 : Ingeborg Feustel , German writer (* 1926 )
- November 24th : Hans Otto Bäumer , German politician (* 1926 )
- November 25 : Erich Eyermann , German lawyer (* 1906 )
- November 25 : Nelson Goodman , American philosopher (* 1906 )
- November 28th : Hemaiag Bedros XVII. Guedikian , Patriarch of Cilicia (* 1905 )
- November 28 : Hans Mohl , German television journalist (* 1928 )
- November 29th : Maurice Gatsonides , Dutch racing driver and entrepreneur (* 1911 )
- December 1 : Bertil Nordahl , Swedish football player (* 1917 )
- December 3 : Paolo Enrico Arias , Italian classical archaeologist (* 1907 )
- December 3 : Graham Townsend , Canadian fiddler, mandolinist, pianist and composer (* 1942 )
- December 6th : César Baldaccini , French sculptor and sculptor (* 1921 )
- December 6 : Georges Borgeaud , Swiss writer and Prix Renaudot laureate 1974 (* 1914 )
- December 6th : Max Eckard , German actor (* 1914 )
- December 7th : John Addison , British composer (* 1920 )
- December 7th : Paul Tholey , German psychologist (* 1937 )
- December 9 : Klaus Matthiesen , German politician (* 1941 )
- December 11th : Chucho Sanoja , Venezuelan composer, arranger, orchestra leader and pianist (* 1926 )
- December 11th : Anton Stankowski , German graphic artist (* 1906 )
- December 11th : Max Streibl , Bavarian politician (* 1932 )
- December 12 : Lawton Chiles , American politician (born 1930 )
- December 12 : Mo Udall , American politician (* 1922 )
- December 15 : Friedrich Jahn , Austrian restaurateur and founder of the Wienerwald chain (* 1923 )
- December 16 : Clay Blair , American historian and non-fiction author (* 1925 )
- December 16 : William Gaddis , American writer (* 1922 )
- December 16 : Jean de Montrémy , French car racing driver and racing car designer (* 1913 )
- December 22nd : Eric Alfons Arnlind , Swedish chess player (* 1922 )
- December 23 : Quirin Amper Jr. , German composer (* 1935 )
- December 24 : Syl Apps , Canadian ice hockey player (born 1915 )
- December 27th : Ricardo Tormo , Spanish motorcycle racer (* 1952 )
- December 28 : Werner Müller , German author, composer, conductor and orchestra leader (* 1920 )
- December 31 : Ernst Ferber , German general (* 1914 )
- Paul Apak Angilirq , Canadian screenwriter and film producer (* 1954 ) December:
- Klaus Abramowsky , German actor and voice actor (* 1933 )
- Meir Agassi , Israeli author and poet (* 1947 )
- Herbert Agricola , German painter, graphic artist and poster artist (* 1912 )
- Fritz Arend , German painter, glass painter and picture maker (* 1937 )
- Walter William Hector Ash , British Rear Admiral (* 1906 )
- Philippe Alexandre Autexier , French musicologist (* 1954 )
- Abderrahmane Boubekeur , Algerian-French football player and coach (* 1931 )
- Tom Bullus , British motorcycle racer (* 1907 )
- Hal Evans , English composer, arranger, pianist and conductor (* 1906 )
- Hein Thorn Prikker , German motorcycle racer (* 1911 )
- Edmund Sundhoff , German economist (* 1912 )
- Physics : Robert B. Laughlin , Horst L. Störmer and Daniel C. Tsui
- Chemistry : Walter Kohn and John A. Pople
- Medicine : Robert F. Furchgott , Louis J. Ignarro and Ferid Murad
- Literature : José Saramago
- Nobel Peace Prize : John Hume and David Trimble
- Economics : Amartya Sen
- The first free fall tower comes as a ride in Germany at the folk festivals and also for the first time at the Munich Oktoberfest .
- The number of mobile phone users in Germany is skyrocketing.
- With the "5110" model, Nokia is bringing one of the most successful mobile phone models ever to the market.
- House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany: Euro
- M&A Review, No. 2/1999, p. 68.