Wolf Vostell (born October 14, 1932 in Leverkusen ; † April 3, 1998 in Berlin ) was a German painter , sculptor and happening artist of the second half of the 20th century. Wolf Vostell was married to the Spaniard Mercedes Vostell and has two sons, David Vostell and Rafael Vostell.
Wolf Vostell is considered to be one of the pioneers of the environment , installation , video art , happening and the Fluxus movement. Techniques such as blurring , dé-coll / age or concreting are hallmarks of his works.
Wolf Vostell was the son of Hubert Schäfer (1896–1980) and his wife Regina Schäfer (1901–1975), née Vostell.
In 1939 his parents moved with him and his younger sister Isolde to the Sudetenland , where they spent the war years in Komotau . In 1945, after Germany's liberation from National Socialism , the family returned to Leverkusen. As a schoolboy he drew with ink and watercolor from 1945 to 1950. In 1952 he took his mother's maiden name.
In 1958 he met the young teacher Mercedes Vostell (née Mercedes Guardado Olivenza) in Guadalupe and fell in love with her. In 1959 they married in Cáceres and then went to Cologne . For him she was a “muse, mother, model, closest colleague, museum founder, family entrepreneur”, as can be seen from a feature with her. He describes her as his "inseparable co-worker".
In 1974 Vostell visited the western Spanish village of Malpartida de Cáceres in Extremadura and the nearby rocky landscape of Los Barruecos. The bizarre granite boulders reminded him of his own concrete sculptures and he declared the place a "work of art of nature". In the midst of this “surreal” landscape is the “Lavadero de Lanas”, a wool laundry from the 18th century and according to his concept of art, art is life, life is art , he decided to set up a “meeting place for art, life and nature”.
The idea for the “Museum for the Concept of Art of the Second Half of the 20th Century” was born, and therefore 1974 was the year the museum was founded for the visionary Vostell. First of all, however, persuasion had to be done. Vostell found a supporter in the mayor, who was also able to win over the initially skeptical local council for the project. In 1976 the municipality acquired the Lavadero area and made it available to the artist together with an adjacent part of the Barruecos.
In October 1976, the Museo Vostell Malpartida (MVM) was inaugurated together with the action sculpture VOAEX ( Viaje de (H) ormigon por la Alta Extremadura / Concrete trip through Upper Extremadura ) an Opel Admiral set in concrete in the middle of granite rocks. Vostell created a few other works especially for this museum, such as the installation Requiem for the Forgotten or The End of Parzival ( El Fin de Parzival ), a curtain of 20 motorbikes based on an idea by Salvador Dali . At the end of 1993 he thought the construction of the museum was complete. The museum's holdings include around 50 works by Vostell from four decades: sculptures, reliefs, paintings, drawings and installations.
In 1977, Mercedes and Wolf Vostell acquired the poorly preserved mansion Palacio de Topete in Malpartida de Cáceres from the 18th century and gradually renovated it. In January 1978 Vostell organized the Contemporary Art Week ( SACOM ) here, one of the first exhibitions of contemporary art in Extremadura entitled Coexistence . So this village became her second residence next to Berlin. For the rest of his life he remained connected to the place and constantly commuted between Berlin and Malpartida.
Afterwards, his wife took over the artistic direction of the museum and curated her husband's estate. Mercedes Guardado Olivenza Vostell, as her full name is, occasionally uses a shorter form: "Mercedes Guardado de Vostell", a small play on words using her first surname, which corresponds to the past participle of the Spanish word "guardar" and the meanings of hold , preserve or guard. This literally makes her the “Keeper of Vostell”. The principle of preservation can also be found in the biography, which she published in Spanish in 2011 and in German in 2012.
From 1950 onwards, Vostell implemented his first artistic ideas, in 1953 he began an apprenticeship in lithography and attended the Werkkunstschule at the Bergische Universität with Ernst Oberhoff in Wuppertal . On September 6, 1954, on the front page of Le Figaro in Paris , he found the word décollage ( Eng. Take off, loosen, loosen the glued, separate ), which was used in connection with a crash of a Lockheed Super Constellation into the Shannon . Vostell changed the spelling to Dé-coll / age and transferred the term to his poster demolitions and happenings. For Wolf Vostell, dé-coll / age became a design principle and a comprehensive concept of art.
In 1955/1956 he attended the Paris École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts and in 1957 the Düsseldorf Art Academy . Vostells Happening The theater is on the street from 1958 in Paris was the first happening in Europe. His happening Cityrama from 1961 in Cologne was the first happening in Germany. Vostell produced objects with televisions and auto parts. Influenced by Karlheinz Stockhausen's work in the WDR's electronic studio , electronic TV dé-coll / agen were created in 1959 . This began his involvement in the Fluxus movement, which he co-founded in 1962.
In 1959 Vostell founded the Vostell Archive. Wolf Vostell collected photographs, artistic texts, personal correspondence with companions such as Nam June Paik , Joseph Beuys , Dick Higgins , as well as other objects that documented the work of the artists of his generation. Vostell's private library has been part of the archive since the 1990s. His work is documented photographically and is also part of the archive, which has been in the “Museo Vostell Malpartida” since 2006.
Vostell initiated other happenings, including in 1963 9-Nein-dé-coll / agen in Wuppertal, in 1964 in New York the Happening You and others in Berlin, Cologne, Wuppertal and Ulm. In 1963 Wolf Vostell became a pioneer of video art with the installation 6 TV Dé-coll / age in the collection of the Museo Reina Sofía Madrid and with the video Sun in your head . In 1965 he took part in the 24-hour happening in the Parnass Gallery in Wuppertal. In 1967 he dealt with the Vietnam War in the happening Miss Vietnam . In 1968 Labor e. Was founded in collaboration with the composer Mauricio Kagel and others . V. , which should explore acoustic and visual events.
Vostell is considered to be the first artist to integrate a television into a work of art. This environment, consisting of three assemblages , from 1958 with the title The Black Room ( German View , Auschwitz Spotlight 568 , Treblinka ) is part of the collection of the Berlinische Galerie . Early works with televisions are Transmigracion I to III, from 1958, and Electronic dé-coll / age Happening Raum , an installation from 1968.
Wolf Vostell has addressed the Holocaust in numerous works since the 1950s . Wolf Vostell did not want to express with his appearance that he was Jewish. Rather, through his appearance he carried his values to the outside world and thus unequivocally directed himself against the danger of suppressing or even forgetting the extermination of European Jews by the German National Socialists. With sidelocks , fur hat and caftan it corresponded exactly to the enemy that the propaganda of the Hitler regime following the example of Eastern European Jews as anti-Semitic stereotype had drawn. He exaggerated this image by using other attributes, such as swanky rings on his fingers and an equally thick cigar, which were symbolically given to the " greedy, Jewish usurer " in slanderous caricatures from the Nazi era .
In 1953 he initially created traditionally produced works such as Korea and Korea Massacre (both oil on paper), War Crucifixion II (oil on canvas) and the watercolors The Couple , Family , Airplane and War Crucifixion . In 1955 he drew a cycle of ink drawings for Peter Schlemihl's wondrous story .
In 1962 Vostell took part in the Fluxus manifestation Fluxus: International Festival of New Music in Wiesbaden and in 1963 in the Fluxus Festival Festum Fluxorum Fluxus in Düsseldorf. In 1962 he founded the magazine Dé-coll / age - Bulletin of Current Ideas . In 1963 he showed the installation The Black Room , which is installed in a dark room with black painted walls, in the Parnass Gallery . In 1964 Vostell initiated the happening In Ulm, around Ulm and around Ulm - in the same year he had his first participation in the 13th exhibition of the German Association of Artists in Berlin. The Happenings Berlin 100 Events followed in 1965 and Miss Vietnam in 1967 . He often took up political and social issues.
In the years 1965 to 1969, exhibitions, happenings, multiples and publications were created in collaboration with René Block . In 1968 the screen printing B-52 was created - instead of bombs . In 1969 - in collaboration with Helmut Rywelski's gallery art intermedia in Cologne - Vostell's first concrete car sculpture, Resting Traffic, was created .
Berlin and Malpartida de Caceres
In 1970 he created Locusts , an installation with 20 monitors and a video camera. The TV shoes and TEK installations were created in the same year. In 1973 the cycle Mania was created . 40 works in which Vostell drew on photographs from magazines and glued objects onto the photographs. In 1973 the installations Auto-Fieber and Energy were created . In 1976 Vostell founded the Museo Vostell Malpartida in Malpartida de Cáceres . In 1974 he realized the strawberries happening in Berlin .
From 1975 he dealt with Spanish subjects such as the paintings of the Extremadura cycle , the cycle El muerto que tiene sed ( The dead man who is thirsty ) from 1976 or El entierro de la Sardina ( The burial of the sardine ) in 1985 . In the 1980s he created the installation The Winds , the painting The Battle of Anghiari from 1982, a reminiscence of Leonardo da Vinci's eponymous painting Battle of Anghiari , the Milonga cycle from 1985, and the Tauromaqie with BMW part from 1988.
Large-format paintings such as the Triptych Berlin from 1990, the cycle Weeping from 1992 and Weeping Homage to Anne Frank were created in Berlin . Bronze sculptures like Berlinerin from 1994 in a small edition. Graphic works, sculptures and assemblages such as Arc de Triomphe N ° 1 from 1993, Ritz from 1998 and multiples such as Berliner Brot from 1995 were created.
Influence on art
Dé-coll / age and blurring
During a stay in Paris in September 1954, Vostell read the word Décollage in a headline in Le Figaro (German translation to detach, to start the glued, to separate). Vostell changed the spelling for himself. From 1954 on he named his poster demolitions Dé-coll / age. He later applied the term Dé-coll / age to his happenings. For Wolf Vostell, Dé-coll / age became a design principle and a comprehensive concept of art. Ceres from 1960, Coca-Cola , your candidate , Big Session with Da (all pictures from 1961), Wochenspiegel Beatles and Livio from 1966 are examples of Wolf Vostell's Dé-coll / agen.
In the 1960s, Wolf Vostell worked with the technique of blurring. A mixture of turpentine and carbon tetrachloride can be used to blur photographs in magazines. The cycle Kleenex from 1962, Kennedy before Corham from 1964, Goethe Today from 1967 and Homage to Henry Ford and Jaqueline Kennedy from 1967 are examples of Wolf Vostell's blurring. He combined dé-coll / age with blurring, as in Jayne Mansfield from 1968 and Marilyn Monroe from 1962 or Hours of fun from 1968.
Wolf Vostell has dealt with world political events in his artistic work since the 1950s. As early as 1958, he addressed the Second World War and the Holocaust in the installation The Black Room . The Korean War and the Vietnam War became subjects of his works, as with his blurring Miss America of 1968. The murder of John F. Kennedy and other international political events he thematized in pictures and assemblages.
Wolf Vostell also addressed domestic political issues in the Federal Republic. The student revolts , the economic miracle and the criticism of capitalism are documented in his works. The Cold War and the Bosnian War are present in his works. Wolf Vostell documented and processed the fall of the Berlin Wall in more than 50 works. From the 6-meter-wide triptych on November 9, 1989 to smaller works, Wolf Vostell created another work cycle after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Such a political oeuvre emerged in Wolf Vostell's work over the decades.
Wolf Vostell has been integrating televisions into his plants since 1958. Wolf Vostell's pictures, assemblages, installations and sculptures are often designed with TV sets. Most of the time, the devices are set to the normal program. Wolf Vostell thus incorporates topicality and current events into his works.
From 1976 Wolf Vostell traveled regularly between Berlin and Malpartida de Cáceres. During this time, a series of pictures and drawings were created in his Spanish studio that show the theme of Tauromaquia . Large-format canvases show bulls, mostly bleeding and torn. He made assemblages in which he combined painted bull heads with light bulbs, auto parts, or other objects.
Concrete, lead and gold
Wolf Vostell had been working with concrete since the early 1960s, which became a kind of hallmark of his work. He created sculptures like his car-concrete sculptures. He also used the concrete as a liquid color for his pictures and drawings. He also painted with liquid concrete, acrylic paint and charcoal. Concrete blocks drawn many times can be seen in his pictures and drawings. Human bodies can often be recognized as angular concrete shapes. He worked with liquid lead in the 1980s and 1990s. He poured liquid lead on his canvases, combined acrylic paint, liquid lead and liquid concrete. Wolf Vostell also worked with gold leaf, which he applied directly to the canvas.
- "Art is life, life is art." 1961
- "Events are weapons for the politicization of art." 1970
- "I declare peace to be the greatest work of art." 1979
- "Everyone is a work of art." 1985
In 1990, Vostell's triptych on November 9, 1989 and draft drawings for it were exhibited for the first time in the eastern part of Berlin in the gallery on Weidendamm at Friedrichstrasse 103.
In 1992 the city of Cologne honored Vostell with a retrospective of his work. His works were distributed over six exhibition locations: the Cologne City Museum , the Cologne Art Gallery , the Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn , the Mannheim Art Gallery , the Morsbroich Castle in Leverkusen and the Mülheim an der Ruhr Art Museum . Under the artistic direction of David Vostell , the documentary film Vostell 60 - Rückblick 92 was created through this retrospective .
The car-concrete-sculpture Resting Traffic from 1969 has stood on the median of the Hohenzollernring in Cologne since 1989. Vostell cast an Opel Kapitän in concrete for this purpose . Other car-concrete sculptures are Concrete Traffic from 1970 in Chicago , in the Museo Vostell Malpartida VOAEX from 1976 and two concrete Cadillacs in the form of naked Maja in Berlin from 1987.
Selection of exhibitions and retrospectives
- 1966: Pictures, blurring, happening notations 1961–1966 , Kölnischer Kunstverein, Cologne
- 1970: happening & fluxus , Kölnischer Kunstverein, Cologne
- 1974: retrospective. Musée d'art Moderne de la Ville de Paris
- 1975: retrospective. New National Gallery, Berlin
- 1977: documenta 6 , Kassel
- 1978: pictures 1959–1974. Museo de Arte Contemporaneo, Madrid
- 1980: Vostell. Dé-coll / agen, smudges, layered images, lead images, object images . Art Association Braunschweig.
- 1981: Fluxus train. Traveled to 15 cities in North Rhine-Westphalia
- 1982: All of the printmaking. Bibliothèque nationale de France , Paris
- 1990: November 9, 1989. Galerie am Weidendamm, Center for Art Exhibitions of the GDR , Berlin
- 1992: Vostell 60 - review 92 . Retrospective. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn, Cologne City Museum, Morsbroich Castle, Mülheim an der Ruhr Art Museum, Cologne Art Gallery.
- Vostell. Dipinti 1954-1991 . Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Rome
- Vostell - Extremadura , Asamblea de Extremadura, Merida
- 1997: Wolf Vostell in the North Rhine-Westphalian collections , Bayer AG culture department, Leverkusen
- 2006: All of the printmaking. Kunsthalle Bremen
- 2007: My art is the eternal resistance against death . Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn
- 2008: Wolf Vostell. Mon art est la résistance éternelle à la mort , Carré d´Art-Musée d´Art Contemporain de Nimes
- 2010: The theater is on the street , The Happenings by Wolf Vostell . Museum Morsbroich Leverkusen
- Wolf Vostell Artista Europeo , Fondazione Mudima, Milan
- 2011: Wolf Vostell - Fluxus, film and television . museum FLUXUS +
- 2014: Beuys Brock Vostell. Action demonstration participation 1949–1983 . ZKM - Center for Art and Media Technology, Karlsruhe
- 2017: Vostell Concrete 1969-1973 . Smart Museum of Art, The University of Chicago
- 2017/18: Wolf Vostell on his 85th birthday - sketches and sculptures . museum FLUXUS +, Potsdam
- 2018: Wolf Vostell. Vida = Arte = Vida . Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León, León
- 2019: Wolf Vostell. Memorial exhibition . Dadadezentrale Berlin
- 2020: Wolf Vostell. Extremely ugly . Gallery aKonzept Berlin
- An extensive collection of works can be seen in the museum FLUXUS + in Potsdam.
- In his native Leverkusen, Wolf Vostell is constantly represented in the Morsbroich Museum with works from the years 1959 to 1982.
- The collection of the Berlinische Galerie includes some works by Wolf Vostell. Among other things, the installation The Black Room from 1958, We were a kind of museum piece from 1964, Hours of fun from 1968 or The Battle of Anghiari from 1986.
- In its permanent collection, the Museo Vostell Malpartida shows works from the 1970s, such as Auto-Fever , Energie and VOAEX , from the 1980s, such as El Entierro de la Sardina , Las Chicas del Billar and Mythos Berlin, and from the 1990s, such as the cycle Trashumancia . The Vostell archive is located in the Museo Vostell Malpartida .
- Several works by Wolf Vostell, such as the Dé-coll / age Coca-Cola from 1961, the installation Hommage to Henry Ford and Jaqueline Kennedy from 1967 and the blurring Miss America from 1968 are in the collection of the Museum Ludwig in Cologne. Early works such as the electronic dé-coll / age happening room from 1968 can be found in the Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin. Locusts from 1970 can be seen in the Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien and Marilyn Monroe in the Neue Galerie .
Further works can be found in the Center for Art and Media Technology , in the House of History of the Federal Republic of Germany , in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum , in the Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn , in the Museo Reina Sofia , in the Musée d'art modern de la Ville de Paris , in the Musée d'Art Moderne et Contemporain de Strasbourg , in the Fondazione Mudima in Milan , on public streets and squares and in other museums and private collections worldwide.
Awards and honors
- 1981: Lecturer, International Summer Academy for Fine Arts, Salzburg
- 1982: Premio Pablo Iglesias , Madrid.
- 1990: Médaille de la Ville de Paris
- 1992: Honorary Professorship , Berlin.
- 1996: Berlin Bear (BZ Culture Prize)
- 1997: Hannah Höch Prize. Awarded by the Berlinische Galerie .
- 1998: Medalla de Extremadura , Spain ( posthumous )
- 2001: Wolf Vostell Strasse , Leverkusen (posthumous)
- 2014: International Human Rights Award , Dr. Rainer Hildebrandt Medal (posthumous)
Exhibition catalogs and presentations
- Phases . Jürgen Becker and Wolf Vostell, foreword by Max Bense , Der Spiegel gallery , Cologne 1960.
- TPL , François Dufrêne , Alain Jouffroy, Wolf Vostell, Verlag Der Kalender, Wuppertal 1961.
- Ed .: Jürgen Becker and Wolf Vostell: Happenings, Fluxus, Pop Art, Nouveau Réalisme . A documentation. Rowohlt Verlag, Reinbek 1965.
- Wolf Vostell. Drawing of the lottery numbers, news of the day and weather card, Das Wort zum Sonntag . edition et, et 14, 1966.
- Vostell. Images, blurring, happening notations 1961–1966 . Kölnischer Kunstverein, 1966.
- Rainer K. Wick : Vostell Sociological . Bonn 1969.
- Wolf Vostell. Dé-coll / agen, blurring 1954–1969 . Edition 17, Galerie René Block Berlin 1969.
- Wolf Vostell. Actions, happenings and demonstrations since 1965 , Rowohlt Verlag, Reinbek 1970, ISBN 3-498-07053-3 .
- Wolf Vostell. Happening and life . Luchterhand Verlag 1970.
- Wolf Vostell. Electronically . New gallery in the Alten Kurhaus, Aachen 1970.
- Wolf Vostell. Environments / Happenings 1958–1974 . Arc2, Musée d'art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Paris 1974.
- Wolf Vostell. Retrospective 1958–1974. Neue Nationalgalerie Berlin, State Museums of Prussian Cultural Heritage, Berlin 1975.
- V40 . Multhipla Edizione Publishing House, Milan 1976.
- Wilhelm Salber : The egg as media grammar for the Vostell Documenta project. Kassel 1977.
- Wolf Vostell. Drawings 1952–1976 . Museum am Ostwall, Dortmund 1977.
- Wolf Vostell. Environments, pintura, happenings, dibuixos, video . Fundació Joan Miró, Barcelona 1978.
- Wolf Vostell . Musée d'art moderne et contemporain de Strasbourg 1985.
- Fluxus train. The mobile museum . 7 Environments about love death work, Berlin 1981.
- Vostell and Berlin, Life and Work 1971–1981 . DAAD-Galerie Verlag, Berlin 1982.
- Wolf Vostell, The Naked and the Dead . Edition Ars Viva, Berlin 1983, ISBN 3-924306-11-7 .
- Vostell. Dé-coll / agen, smudges, layered images, lead images, object images . Art Association Braunschweig, 1980.
- The sculptural work 1953–1987 , Mult (H) ipla, Milan 1987.
- Vostell . Galerie Lavignes-Bastille, Paris, 1990, ISBN 2-908783-00-2 .
- Rolf Wedewer : Vostell. Retrospective 92 . Paper works, intermedia - TV &, video. Exhibition catalog with texts by Michael Euler-Schmidt. Edition Braus, Heidelberg 1992, ISBN 3-925520-44-9 .
- Wolf Vostell, Dipinti 1954–1991. Edizioni Carte Segrete, Rome 1992, ISBN 88-85203-53-1 .
- Wolf Vostell. Life = art = life . Art gallery Gera, EA Seemann , Gera 1993, ISBN 3-363-00605-5 .
- Wolf Vostell. Automobiles . Edited by Pablo J. Rico. Wasmuth Verlag, Tübingen 1999, ISBN 3-8030-3093-5 .
- Vostell. I disastri della pace / The Disasters of Peace . Varlerio Dehò, Edizioni Charter, Milan 1999, ISBN 88-8158-253-8 .
- Wolf Vostell. La Caída del Muro de Berlin . Museo Vostell Malpartida, 2000. ISBN 84-7671-583-8 .
- José Antonio Agúndez García: 10 happenings by Wolf Vostell . Editora Regional de Extremadura, 2001, ISBN 84-7671-510-2 .
- Wolf Vostell. Television . Galeria Miejska Arsenal w Poznania, Poland 2002, ISBN 83-88947-05-2 .
- Wolf Vostell. Museo Vostell Malpartida. MVM , Catalogo, 2002, ISBN 84-7671-697-4 .
- Wolf Vostell . Giacomo Zaza, La Nuova Pesa, Roma 2004, ISBN 2-9519858-4-3 .
- Wolf Vostell . Maria del Mar Lozano Bartolozzi, Editorial Nerea, Arte Hoy series, 2005, ISBN 978-84-89569-38-6 .
- Wolfgang Vomm, Wulf Herzogenrath u. José Antonio Agúndez García, Ed .: Wolf Vostell - Die Druckgrafik. Municipal gallery Villa Zanders in cooperation with the gallery and castle association. Bergisch Gladbach 2005, ISBN 3-9810401-0-4 .
- sediment: Wolf Vostell. Through the galleries in streets and squares . Communications on the history of the art trade, issue 14/2007 Central archive of the international art trade, Verlag für Moderne Kunst, Nuremberg, ISBN 978-3-939738-61-9 .
- Wolf Vostell. My art is the eternal resistance against death . Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn 2007, ISBN 978-3-9811834-0-5 .
- Wolf Vostell. Mon art est la résistance éternelle à la mort . Carré d´Art-Musée d´Art Contemporain de Nimes, 2008, ISBN 978-2-915639-88-9 .
- Wolf Vostell. Dé-coll / age . Editorial Pintan Espadas No.10, Badajoz 2008, ISBN 978-84-7796-165-9 .
- Wolf Vostell. Artista Europeo . Mudima Edizioni, Milan 2010, ISBN 978-88-96817-04-9 .
- The theater is on the street , The Happenings by Wolf Vostell . Museum Morsbroich Leverkusen. Kerber Verlag, 2010, ISBN 978-3-86678-431-4 .
- Wolf Vostell, the artist is present . Stadtgalerie Mannheim 2012, ISBN 978-3-944128-37-5 .
- Mercedes Vostell : Vostell - for a lifetime . Siebenhaar Verlag, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-936962-88-8 .
- Klaus Gereon Beuckers : Dé-coll / age and happening . Studies on the work of Wolf Vostell. Ludwig, Kiel 2012, ISBN 978-3-86935-145-2 .
- Carteles. Wolf Vostell . Museo Vostell Malpartida 2013, ISBN 978-84-9852-359-1 .
- Klaus Gereon Beuckers, Hans-Edwin Friedrich and Sven Hanuschek: dé-coll / age as manifest, manifest as dé-coll / age . Manifestos, lectures and essays by Wolf Vostell. neoAvantgarden, Vol. 3, edition text + kritik: Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-86916-260-7 .
- Beuys Brock Vostell. Action demonstration participation 1949–1983 . ZKM - Center for Art and Media Technology, Hatje Cantz, Karlsruhe, 2014, ISBN 978-3-7757-3864-4 .
- Dick Higgins, Wolf Vostell. Fantastic architecture . Primary Information, 2015, ISBN 978-0-9906896-0-7 .
- Wolf Vostell, seismograph of his era, works 1952–1998 . (Ed. :) David Vostell, LB Publication, The Wolf Vostell Estate, 2016
- Vostell, stills . Rooster Gallery New York, The Wolf Vostell Estate, 2016
Films about Wolf Vostell
- 1966: Art and Ketchup (via the 24-hour happening ). Südwestfunk . Film by Elmar Hügler.
- 1967: Wolf Vostell and Hansjoachim Dietrich - homage to Henry Ford . Maletz car dealership. Cologne. Film by Manfred Montwé.
- 1968: Wolf Vostell . WDR. Cologne and Wuppertal. Film by Paul Karalus.
- 1969: Vostell and others or lipsticks for Vietnam . WDR. Film by Paul Karalus.
- 1973: Wolf Vostell - Berlin fever . Happening - documentation by Ulrike Ottinger
- 1980: Endogenous Depression . Documentation by David Vostell.
- 1982: Electronic dé-coll / age happening room . In the exhibition Art becomes Material . Neue Nationalgalerie Berlin, 1982. Film by David Vostell
- Wolf Vostell - Right on the edge of the world . NDR. Film by Jürgen Böttcher.
- Travel routes to art , Extremadura. SFB. Film by Jürgen Böttcher.
- 1983: Wolf Vostell - Miss America . NDR. Film by Hannelore Schäfer.
- 1986: Wolf Vostell. Miss America (1968). WDR. 1000 masterpieces
- 1988: Wolf Vostell - Art is life, life is art . NDR. Human faces. Film by Rudij Bergmann.
- 1991: The traffic at rest - Wolf Vostell and the car . WDR. Film by Doris Netenjakob.
- 1992: Wolf Vostell, Vostell 60 - review 92 . WDR. Report on the Wolf Vostell retrospective in NRW 1992.
- Vostell 60 - Review 92 . Film directed by David Vostell
- 1994: dream destinations. Between Berlin and Malpartida - on the trail of Wolf Vostell . WDR. Film by Werner Filmer and Ernst - Michael Wingens.
- 1997: Wolf Vostell . SDR. BergmannsArt. Film by Rudij Bergmann.
- 2015: Malpartida Fluxus Village . Film by María Pérez.
- List of actions, Fluxus concerts and Dé-coll / age happenings by Wolf Vostell (selection)
- List of environments, installations and sculptures by Wolf Vostell (selection)
- List of pictures by Wolf Vostell (selection)
- List of multiples by Wolf Vostell (selection)
- Literature by and about Wolf Vostell in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Wolf Vostell in the German Digital Library
- Wolf Vostell in the ifa database
- Research on Wolf Vostell from the Christian Albrechts University in Kiel
- Blog with photos of works
- Museo Vostell Malpartida in Spain
- Blog with texts about Wolf Vostell
- Wolf Vostell - art is life, life is art
- Art Trust Homepage
- kapitalistischer-realismus.de: Text on Wolf Vostell's principle of art and life ( memento of the original from September 26, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Wolf Vostell, Art is Life - Life is Art, 1961 ( Memento of the original from February 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Biographical appendix: Wolf Vostell. Life = Art = Life , Art Gallery Gera , EA Seemann, 1993, ISBN 3-363-00605-5
- Deutschlandfunk.de , Das Feature , April 10, 2015, Rilo Chmielorz: My life with Vostell
- Wolf Vostell's biography (excerpt) , vostell.de/the-wolf-vostell-estate
- art, edition: 10/2003 ( Memento of the original from 23 September 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Biography Wolf Vostell ( Memento of the original from June 3, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Der Spiegel 16/1998: Died (obituary)
- Mi vida con Vostell, un artista de vanguardia, Mercedes Guardado. Editorial La Fabrica, Madrid 2011, ISBN 978-84-92841-91-2
- Mercedes Vostell: Vostell - for a lifetime. Siebenhaar Verlag, 2012, ISBN 978-3-936962-88-8
- museum-morsbroich.de: Wolf Vostell: The theater is in the street , 1958
- 24 hours happening, 1965, Dé-coll / age-happening
- transmediale.de: Text on Video Sun in your head from 1963
- Scan of a handwritten description of his first environment The Black Room by Wolf Vostell, 1958 (accessed September 29, 2016)
- Transmigración II at the ZKM, Center for Art and Media Technology ( Memento of the original from August 12, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- artnet.com: Transmigracion , No. 1, 1958th
- Mercedes Vostell: Vostell - for a lifetime . Siebenhaar Verlag, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-936962-88-8 .
- Mi vida con Vostell, un artista de vanguardia . Mercedes Guardado. Editorial La Fabrica, Madrid 2011, ISBN 978-84-92841-91-2 .
- Wolf Vostell . Museum am Ostwall, 1977, Dortmund; Kestner Society, Hanover, 1977
- kuenstlerbund.de: 13th exhibition Berlin / Participants: Vostell, Wolf ( Memento of the original from October 13, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed on June 3, 2016)
- Staatsgalerie Stuttgart : Archive Sohm
- grg23-alterlaa.ac.at: Wolf Vostell, Miss Vietnam , 1967, sculpture ( Memento of the original from September 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- artnet.dortmund.de: Wolf Vostell: B-52 - instead of bombs ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Screen print, 1968
- nrw-museum.de: Wolf Vostell: TEK ( Thermoelectronic Chewing Gum ), Installation, 1970 ( Memento of the original from February 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Wolf Vostell . Mania , Galerie van de Loo, Munich 1973
- kunstforum.de: Texts about Wolf Vostell ( Memento of the original from April 24, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Vostell - Extremadura , Asamblea de Extremadura, 1992, ISBN 84-87622-07-0
- El País : The Winds, 1981
- Wolf Vostell, Rolf Wedewer, retrospective 1992
- art-in-berlin.de: Berliner, 1994, bronze sculpture by Wolf Vostell
- Wolf Vostell Art Term Dé-coll / age ( Memento of the original from February 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Video from the Gerda Henkel Foundation about Wolf Vostell
- musenblaetter.de: Kennedy before Corham , 1964, blurring
- grg23-alterlaa.ac.at: Marilyn Monroe , 1962, Dé-coll / age ( memento of the original from September 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- grg23-alterlaa.ac.at: Wolf Vostell: Nur die 1., 1968 ( Memento of the original from July 21, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- getidan.de: Wolf Vostell: Phantom , 1968 graphic of capitalist realism
- Wolf Vostell . The fall of the Berlin Wall . Museo Vostell Malpartida, 2000. ISBN 84-7671-583-8
- Vostell , Galerie Lavignes-Bastille, Paris, 1990, ISBN 2-908783-00-2
- artotels.com : Website of the Art'otel Berlin Kudamm about Wolf Vostell
- on1.zkm.de : Beuys Brock Vostell in the ZKM 2014
- teautomovil.blogspot.com: sculptures with automobiles
- Wolf Vostell, Concrete Traffic, Chicago, 1970 ( memento of the original from July 29, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Neubauercollegium.uchicago.edu : Wolf Vostells, Concrete Traffic, 1970, Chicago
- Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn ( Memento of the original from September 25, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Wolf Vostell, Vida = Arte = Vida . Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León, 2018
- mumok.at: Wolf Vostell: Heuschrecken , 1970 ( Memento of the original from July 17, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Gallery Poll: Wolf Vostell ( Memento of the original from April 10, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- leverkusen.com: Wolf-Vostell-Straße , accessed on September 20, 2012.
- Wolf Vostell, on his 80th birthday, Stadtgalerie Mannheim, publication "The artist is present"
- Wolf Vostell - Christian Albrechts University in Kiel
- dé-coll / age as manifest, manifest as dé-coll / age . Manifestos, lectures and essays by Wolf Vostell
- Beuys Brock Vostell. ZKM, 2014
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter, sculptor and happening artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Leverkusen|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 3, 1998|
|Place of death||Berlin|