|publishing company||Grupo Prisa|
|First edition||May 4th 1976|
|Frequency of publication||Every day|
|Widespread edition||221390 copies|
|(OJD December 2015)|
|Article archive||approx. 2002 ff.|
El País [ el paˈis ] ( Spanish for the country ) is the largest daily newspaper in Spain . In December 2015, the average daily circulation of El País (audited by OJD) was 221,390, in 2018 85,594 copies. According to the OJD, in December 2017 it was the daily newspaper with the second highest circulation in Spain. El País is the third most widely read Spanish online newspaper and one of the three Madrid daily newspapers (alongside El Mundo and ABC) as the national daily newspapers in Spain. It is also the leading Spanish-language newspaper on the Internet and, according to Comscore data , reached 18,941,000 unique readers in December 2017, making it the most widely consulted digital newspaper in Spanish worldwide. She is also present on social networks, with more than 7.2 million followers on Twitter and more than 4 million on Facebook.
The newspaper has its headquarters and central editorial office in Madrid, but has delegations in the main cities of Spain ( Barcelona , Valencia , Seville , Bilbao , Santiago de Compostela , Algeciras ) from which it publishes various regional editions. The printing plants are located in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, La Coruña , Las Palmas de Gran Canaria , Burgos , Palma de Mallorca , Germany, Belgium , Italy , Mexico and Argentina .
The newspaper belongs to the largest media group in Spain, Grupo Prisa , whose main shareholder has been the US group Liberty Acquisition Holding since 2010 . In 2011, the Prisa Group (also owner of Cadena SER (radio), Cinco Días (financial press), Los 40 Principales and other media) recorded the largest loss in its history: 451 million euros, six times more than the previous year.
The political orientation of El País is considered left-liberal . It is close to the socialist party PSOE , but does not see itself as socialist or social democratic . Antonio Muñoz Molina , Juan José Millás and Javier Marías , as well as the Peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa , are currently writing for the newspaper .
Principles of journalistic deontology and language culture are laid down in an editorial statute and in the Libro de Estilo . An ombudsman for the newspaper monitors compliance with the principles and rules of El País, who can be called by readers and who reports on his decisions in a Sunday section.
El País is a founding member of the Leading European Newspaper Alliance (LENA), in which it currently with the daily newspapers Die Welt , the Italian La Repubblica , Le Figaro in France, Le Soir in Belgium and the two Swiss leaves Tages-Anzeiger and Tribune de Genève in the international reporting collaborates editorially.
At the end of 1975, in the end of the regime under the dictator Francisco Franco , the government allowed a group of journalists to found El País . The first edition did not appear until May 1976, shortly after the beginning of the Spanish transition , during which it developed into one of the most important journalistic platforms in the country. Of particular importance to the reputation of the newspaper was its reaction to the attempted coup on February 23, 1981 , when El País , while the putschists were still occupying parliament, published a special edition in which it professed its democratic constitution.
In mid-November 2002, the El País Digital internet presence became chargeable. This was given up again in 2005 due to the free online presence of other Spanish newspapers such as El Mundo . El País was the first to practice the now widespread supplement journalism in magazine form (TV program, youth magazine, columnist supplements, etc.).
In November 2012 it was announced that the newspaper would lay off a third of its employees.
An editorial team in Mexico City is responsible for the Latin America edition of El País . It was printed in Mexico City and Buenos Aires until the end of 2019 . Since then, the Latin America edition has only been published digitally.
Since it was founded by José Ortega Spottorno on May 4, 1976, El País has had five directors and, for the first time, one director since June 2018.
|1976-1988||Juan Luis Cebrián|
Today's newspaper is not the first El País newspaper to appear in Spain. There was another, founded in 1887 and closed in 1921, with a very similar logo, written in Egyptian letters and in capital letters.
- Medios Controlados: El País . Informacion y Control de Publicaciones, OJD El País, accessed September 16, 2016.
- Jaime Soteras: Los 10 principales periódicos españoles bajaron en 2018 sus ventas en el quiosco. January 30, 2019, accessed April 26, 2020 (Spanish).
- Ashifa Kassam: Media revolution in Spain as readers search for new voices . In: The Guardian . March 25, 2014, ISSN 0261-3077 ( theguardian.com [accessed April 26, 2020]).
- Prisa registra pérdidas seis veces mayores que en 2010 - Público.es. June 16, 2012, accessed April 26, 2020 .
- Uwe Mantel: “Die Welt” is a co-founder of the newspaper alliance LENA . DWDL.de , March 10, 2015, accessed on September 16, 2016.
- Martin Dahms: Spain: Twenty Years El País: The End of Serenity . Die Zeit , May 17, 1996, accessed on September 16, 2016.
- "El País" dismisses its first employees. In: Spiegel Online , November 13, 2012, accessed on September 16, 2016.
- El País pone fin a su edición impresa en America. El medio líder en español en el mundo deja de imprimirse en México y Argentina , El País , December 31, 2019, accessed on January 10, 2020.
- Breve historia de El País, on El País.com. ( Memento of the original from September 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Soledad Gallego-Díaz, propuesta como nueva directora de EL PAÍS. In: El País. June 7, 2018, Retrieved June 8, 2018 (Spanish).
- El logo del diario El País, ¿inspirado en un periódico del siglo XIX? - Marca por hombro. Retrieved April 26, 2020 (Spanish).