|publishing company||Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso SpA|
|First edition||January 14, 1976|
|Frequency of publication||Every day|
|Sold edition||approx. 250,000 copies|
|Article archive||1984 ff.|
La Repubblica ( Italian the Republic ) is one of the most important Italian daily newspapers . It is published by the Gruppo editoriale L'Espresso SpA (originally in the Berlin format ) and, along with the Corriere della Sera , is counted among the two major leading media in the country.
The average daily circulation is 636,577 copies (September 2005). The Repubblica is published in full color with up to 96 pages and also includes seven weekly supplements. In addition to the cross-national edition, the newspaper also publishes ten regional editions with up to 32 pages, which appear for Rome , Milan , Turin , Bologna , Genoa , Florence , Naples , Palermo , Parma and Bari .
The paper was founded on January 14, 1976 in Rome by the Mondadori and Espresso Group under Eugenio Scalfari and Carlo Caracciolo . Scalfari headed the newspaper until 1996. The media coverage of the Repubblica has since been regarded as moderately left-wing.
From 1980 Carlo De Benedetti increased his stake in the publishing house of Carlo Caracciolo and Eugenio Scalfari (Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso) steadily until the two previous majority shareholders also sold him their stake blocks in 1989. In the legal dispute with Silvio Berlusconi known as 'Guerra di Segrate' , the majority of the Mondadori publishing house was given to him in 1991, but he was unable to take over shares in the publishing house (GEL'E) and thus in the newspaper 'La Repubblica'.
In 2009, the Repubblica was heavily criticized by Berlusconi in the course of numerous publications relating to the affairs of Silvio Berlusconi (Prime Minister - with interruptions - from 1994 to November 2011). Repubblica repeatedly asked Berlusconi on its website and in print to answer ten questions about his relationship with 18-year-old Noemi Letizia.
La Repubblica is a founding member of the Leading European Newspaper Alliance (LENA), in which it works with the daily newspapers Die Welt , El País (Spain), Le Figaro (France), Le Soir (Belgium) and the Swiss newspapers Tages-Anzeiger and Tribune de Genève collaborates editorially in international reporting.
In December 2019, the entrepreneurial family Agnelli bought La Repubblica and announced corporate interventions. In April 2020, editor-in-chief Carlo Verdelli was sacked, whereupon the editorial team went on strike, which is why the newspaper could not appear on April 24, 2020.
- I cinque quotidiani più venduti in Italia - Cinque cose belle . In: Cinque cose belle . August 31, 2016 ( cinquecosebelle.it [accessed January 13, 2018]).
- Alexander Matschke: La Repubblica . Media database "MediaDB", status May 4, 2012, accessed on September 27, 2015.
- Silvio Berlusconi: 18-year-old Noemi Letizia expresses herself for the first time . In: focus.de , September 6, 2009, accessed on September 27, 2015.
- Uwe Mantel: “Die Welt” is a co-founder of the newspaper alliance LENA . In: DWDL.de , March 10, 2015, accessed on September 27, 2015.
- Karen Krüger: He hated the anti-German course. La Repubblica boss has to go . In: faz.net , April 24, 2020, accessed on April 28, 2020.