(El Mundo del Siglo Veintiuno)
|publishing company||Unidad Editorial SA|
|First edition||October 23, 1989|
El Mundo is part of the Italian publishing group RCS MediaGroup . Daily regional editions appear in Madrid , Barcelona , Balearic Islands , Valencia , Alicante , Castellón, Castile and León , Basque Country , Andalusia , Seville , Málaga and Galicia . In 2006 El Mundo had an average daily circulation of 330,634 copies, only surpassed by El País and the sports newspaper Marca . The newspaper is also available free of charge on the Internet with an online edition.
After it was founded in 1989, the newspaper exposed numerous scandals in the government environment, which was one of the reasons for the defeat of the PSOE under Felipe González in the 1996 elections. The newspaper covers a broad spectrum of opinions: For example, nationalist tendencies of the conservative party are just as critically commented as the independence movements of individual regions. Critics accuse the paper of dubious campaigns, for example with regard to alleged conspiracies of the socialists in connection with the Madrid train attacks in 2004. The repeated publication of articles and interviews with prominent Spanish history revisionists such as Pio Moa or César Vidal are also criticized. In September 2009, an interview with British Holocaust denier David Irving on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the outbreak of World War II sparked violent international reactions. El Mundo was a founding member of the journalistic research network European Investigative Collaboration (EIC) in 2016 .
In January 2014, Pedro J. Ramírez , editor of the newspaper, was fired from his post. He argued that coverage of corruption scandals in which Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy was implicated led to his dismissal. Casimiro García-Abadillo served as editor until April 2015, when he was replaced by David Jiménez. As of 2020, Francisco Rosell is the editor.
Every year the newspaper El Mundo awards three awards, the so-called El Mundo titles: Person of the Year, Enemy of the Year and City of the Year. They each highlight the most influential, reprehensible and outstanding personality of the year that is coming to an end.
- Pedro J. Ramírez (1989-2014)
- Casimiro García-Abadillo (2014-2015)
- David Jiménez (2015-2016)
- Pedro García Cuartango (2016-2017)
- Francisco Rosell (2017–)
Other newspapers with the same name
Until December 22, 1967 there was a daily newspaper of the same name in Argentina . The Cuban El Mundo , founded in 1901, was discontinued in 1969. A daily newspaper of the same name still exists in Colombia and El Salvador.
- El País : EL PAÍS alcanza en junio una difusión de 450,603 copies, el 7% más que en 2006 , July 25, 2007.
- ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) sueddeutsche.de
- Ashifa Kassam: Media revolution in Spain as readers search for new voices . In: The Guardian . March 25, 2014, ISSN 0261-3077 ( theguardian.com [accessed May 1, 2020]).
- Roy Greenslade: New Spanish website has the country's prime minister in its sights . In: The Guardian . August 18, 2015, ISSN 0261-3077 ( theguardian.com [accessed May 1, 2020]).
- El Consejo de Administración de Unidad Editorial nombra a David Jiménez director de EL MUNDO. April 30, 2015, accessed May 1, 2020 (Spanish).
- Nicolas Sarkozy, Personaje del Año | elmundo.es. Retrieved May 1, 2020 .
- Los diez personajes del año 2019 en el mundo. Retrieved May 1, 2020 (es-HN).
- St. Petersburg Times, April 7, 1969