Calendar overview 1902
discovered in Antarctica , the Kaiser Wilhelm II Land .
Mont Pelé erupted
the capital Saint-Pierre was destroyed .
|Andrew Carnegie is Carnegie Institution for Science established.|
|1902 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1350/51 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1894/95 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||58/59 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1307/08 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2445/46 (southern Buddhism); 2444/45 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1264/65 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4235/36 (2-3 October)|
|Iranian calendar||1280/81 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1319/20 (April 9/10)|
Meiji 35 (
明治 35 年 );
|Jewish calendar||5662/63 (October 1-2)|
|Coptic calendar||1618/19 (10/11 September)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1317/18 (March 1st)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2212/13 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2213/14 (turn of the year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2444/45 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1958/59 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
The German Imperium
- January 29th : The social democratic daily Vorwärts publishes a secret paper of the Imperial Navy in which the then Vice-Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz lists detailed armaments plans for expanding the fleet. The publication turns into a scandal, as even the government-loyal center organs feel betrayed by Tirpitz.
- February 1 : The contract between the Reich Postal Administration and the Kingdom of Württemberg on the use of uniform postage stamps comes into force.
- February 7th : Tirpitz confirms the authenticity of the published secret paper, but does not see any catchy statements in it, since he had already spoken openly about these plans as early as 1900 .
- June 5 : The Prussian House of Representatives resolves to increase the so-called Poland Fund by 150 million marks to a total of 350 million marks. The House of Representatives also authorizes the government to buy real estate from Polish owners for 100 million marks. The Poland Fund contains the financial means to implement the Settlement Act of 1886, which regulates the residency of German farmers in the eastern provinces.
- June 19 : Change of throne in Saxony . On Albert , his brother follows Georg .
- June 28 : The Triple Alliance treaty of 1882 between the German Empire , Austria-Hungary and Italy is extended for the third time.
- November 1 : France and Italy sign a secret society treaty which de facto repeals the Triple Alliance treaty, which was only extended on June 28, 1902.
- December 5 : The German Reich and the Holy See agree on the establishment of a Catholic theological faculty at the University of Strasbourg .
- December 13th : The Reichstag member Otto Antrick gives the longest speech in a German parliament to date, lasting 8 hours. He is delaying the vote on the amendment of a customs tariff law.
- December 14th : The German Reichstag passes the compromise version of a new customs tariff law. Discussions about the law lasted over a year.
- December 31 : The Polish Miners' Union (ZZP) is formed to represent the interests of over 300,000 Polish miners in the Ruhr area. The Polish Miners 'Union will become the third largest miners' association in the German Reich after the Free and Christian Unions.
Other events in Europe
- January 1st : Josef Zemp becomes the new Swiss Federal President .
- January 1st : An exchange of cables between Petersburg and Paris emphasizes mutual friendship.
- January 15 : Employment offices are opened in Italy. So far, job placement in Italy has been regulated by private individuals, syndicates and the mafia .
- March 7 : The Turkish government bans mother tongue teaching in Armenian schools.
- April 18 : The 22-year-old Russian revolutionary Yossif Vissarionovich Dschugashvili, who later calls himself Stalin , is arrested. He is said to have led labor unrest in Batumi .
- May 17th : The 16-year-old Alfonso XIII. ascends the Spanish throne on his birthday.
- July 12 : British Prime Minister Salisbury resigns at the age of 72 and is succeeded by Arthur James Balfour .
- July 17th : A Pan-Armenian congress in Brussels calls on the European powers to protect the Armenian Christians from the Turkish Muslims .
- July 19 : The Federal Council decides to adopt the new German spelling rules in Switzerland .
- August 9th : King Edward VII is solemnly crowned in London .
- December 2 : 3,000 workers from the Vladikavkaz Railway workshops strike in Rostov-on-Don for higher wages and shorter working hours. During military operations against the strikers, four workers were killed, around 40 wounded and over 100 arrested. On December 12, 1902, the workers ended the strike, although they were not granted wage increases or reductions in working hours.
- December 15th : A national fundraising campaign to build tuberculosis sanctuaries begins in France.
China after the Boxer Rebellion
- January 7th : Dowager Empress Cixi returns to the Forbidden City of Beijing after her escape and takes over government again over China .
- January 14 : General Tung Fuhsian, one of the leaders of the Boxer Rebellion , is executed. The assassination is one of the concessions made by the Dowager Empress Cixi to the foreign powers that returned government power to her.
America and the Caribbean
- January 9 : the fall of the President of Paraguay , Emilio Aceval ; His successor is Hector Carvallo.
- April 23 : In Washington, DC , US Secretary of State John Milton Hay and Colombian Ambassador Thomas Herran sign a treaty that gives the United States the rights to continue building the Panama Canal . The construction was started by France in 1881. After thousands of workers died of malaria and yellow fever , they offered to sell the construction rights for $ 40 million .
- May 20 : Cuba gains formal independence from the USA with the assumption of office of Tomás Estrada Palma, who was elected unopposed against pressure from the USA on December 31st . The country's sovereignty was restricted by the Platt Amendment until 1934 .
- November 20 : Based on the so-called May Treaties between Chile and Argentina, King Edward VII of Great Britain set the border between the two states in Patagonia in an arbitration award .
- January 1 : The infantry regiment King's African Rifles is formed in British East Africa from the already existing regiments of Central African Rifles , Uganda Rifles and East Africa Rifles .
- May 31 : The Boer War in South Africa ends with the Vereeniging Peace Treaty .
- November 1 : Italy and France agree in a secret treaty on the delimitation of their spheres of interest in North Africa (Libya, Tunisia).
- December 10 : In Egypt, a dam 300 km long, 2 km wide and 5.3 billion cubic meters of water is inaugurated 6 km south of Aswan. The power plant connected to it supplies 10 billion kWh of electricity annually.
- June 12 : Australian women have the first right to be elected to the House of Representatives and Senate .
Other international events
- January 30th : The UK and the Japanese Empire form the Anglo-Japanese Alliance .
- November 29th : The Hague Arbitration Court decides in the case of a dispute over claims to the Bering Sea in favor of the USA and against Great Britain .
- January 26th : The Italian Catholic Trade Union Confederation is founded in Milan .
- February 5 : The strikes by French miners who demanded an eight-hour working day lead to a working time regulation of 9 hours per working day. Since the trade unions are not satisfied with this result, the labor disputes resume after a break of several weeks.
- February 16 : The general strike for Catalonia is called in Barcelona , in which more than 100,000 workers take part. In Saragossa , a state of war is declared after bloody clashes with the military.
- March 22nd : In Batumi, a protest demonstration by striking workers is bloodily suppressed by military and police units. 15 workers are killed, 54 injured and around 500 arrested.
- March 23 : Child labor is banned in Italy. The age limit for boys is now 12 years, for girls the age limit has been set at 15 years.
- May 12 : The anthracite strike begins in the USA; it ended after several months through the mediation of President Theodore Roosevelt on October 23.
- February 25 : The launch of the Meteor III solves the two-year so-called champagne war between the French sparkling wine manufacturer Moët & Chandon and its German competitor Söhnlein & Co., Rheingauer Schaumweinkellerei Act. Ges. Off .
Patents and copyright
- January 1st : The German copyright law comes into force.
- April 25 : The Jena company Carl Zeiss applies for a patent for the Tessar camera lens .
- January 1st : The Swiss Federal Railways AG starts operations.
- January 16 : Germany receives the concession from Turkey to build the Baghdad Railway from Konya to Baghdad.
- January 24th : In France the railways are nationalized .
- February 18 : The first line of the Berlin subway between Warschauer Brücke and Nollendorfplatz is opened.
- March 4 : The American Automobile Association Transportation Club is founded in Cleveland , Ohio .
- March 5 : In Hamburg , the Libelle is officially inspected by the government of Cameroon after a successful test drive.
- May 27th : The new Rhine port is inaugurated in Karlsruhe .
- November 5 : The floating dock for Dar es Salaam is accepted as usable in the flotilla of German East Africa .
- The Kundala Valley Railway , India's first monorail , will be built near Munnar in Kerala using the Ewing system developed by William Thorold . The trains are pulled by oxen.
- June 17 : The first Chinese- language newspaper Ta Kung Pao ( Great General Newspaper ) is founded in Tianjin .
- August 22 : Henry M. Leland founds the Cadillac Automobile Company in Detroit .
- August Thyssen and Hugo Stinnes acquire the majority in RWE through a consortium led by them with the participation of Deutsche Bank, Dresdner Bank and Disconto-Gesellschaft .
- Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing Co. (known as 3M ) founded in St. Paul, Minnesota
science and technology
- January 30th : The British Discovery Expedition under Robert Falcon Scott discovers the Edward VII Peninsula in Antarctica .
- February 22nd : The German Gauss expedition led by polar explorer Erich von Drygalski discovered an unknown part of the mainland in Antarctica , which was named Kaiser Wilhelm II Land in honor of the donor .
- March 29 : During the German expedition to the south polar , Erich von Drygalski was the first person to sight the extinct volcano Gaußberg in Antarctica in a tethered balloon .
- November 2nd : The Scottish National Antarctic Expedition begins.
- Ernest Rutherford and Frederick Soddy develop the theory of atomic decay with the emission of alpha and beta rays .
- Léon-Philippe Teisserenc de Bort discovers the stratosphere and the tropopause .
- Discovery of the Boy area
Teaching and Research
- January 13th : The first adult education center in the German Reich is built in the Rotes Rathaus in Berlin .
- January 28 : Andrew Carnegie donates ten million US dollars for scientific purposes. This creates the Carnegie Institution of Washington .
- Ferdinando Bocconi founds the private business university Luigi Bocconi in Milan in memory of his deceased son.
- April 9 : Charles Stewart Rolls is in Achères near Paris with 101.547 km / h the first speed record for gasoline - motor vehicles with a Mors on.
- May 31 : While trying to set a new speed record on Staten Island , the Baker Torpedo , built by the Baker Motor Vehicle Company , races into a crowd with Walter C. Baker at the wheel. Two people are killed in the accident.
- September 19 : Airship designer and aeronaut Stanley Spencer is the first to fly over London.
- December 10 : The Aswan Dam , which according to the Nile Delta located Barrages oldest dam on the Nile is commissioned.
- Otto Schulze receives a patent for the speedometer from the German Patent Office .
- According to current model calculations , 1902 is the earliest possible year in which the HI virus can have infected a person for the first time.
- September 1 : The science fiction film The Journey to the Moon by Georges Méliès premieres at the Olympia in Paris .
- Edward Steichen , Frank Eugene and Alfred Stieglitz found the Photo-Secession in New York City , a club that promotes photography as a means of artistic expression.
- January 1st : Opening of a special exhibition with works by the Greek-Spanish painter El Greco in the Prado in Madrid. The paintings had been forgotten and caused quite a stir.
- October 25 : The municipal museum in Elberfeld opens.
- Gustav Klimt paints the Beethoven frieze .
- Foundation of the art magazine ARTnews
- Opening of the Solothurn Art Museum
Music and theater
- January 5 : At Berlin Belle Alliance Theater experienced Georg Buchner's 1835 Resulting drama Danton's Death , which for a long time has been considered unplayable, as production of the association Neue Freie Volksbühne its premiere .
- April 2 : World premiere of the Irish patriotic drama Cathleen, Houlihan's daughter by William Butler Yeats in Dublin
- May 7th : The world premiere of the symbolist drama Monna Vanna by Maurice Maeterlinck takes place at the Nouveau-Théâtre in Paris.
- August 2nd : Emil Rosenow's dialect comedy Kater Lampe is premiered in a Wroclaw theater.
- October 19 : World premiere of the comedy Die Lokalbahn by Ludwig Thoma in Munich
- November 6th : World premiere of the drama Adriana Lecouvreur by Francesco Cilea at the Teatro Lirico in Milan
- November 29th : World premiere of the legend Poor Heinrich von Gerhart Hauptmann at the Vienna Burgtheater
- December 31 : Maxim Gorki's best-known drama Night Asylum - Scenes from the Deep (Russian На дне ) is premiered at the Moscow Art Theater under the direction of Konstantin Stanislawski .
- January 17th : The premiere of the opera Les Guelfes by Benjamin Godard takes place at the Théâtre des Arts in Rouen.
- March 31 : World premiere of the operetta Lysistrata by Paul Lincke in Berlin
- April 30 : The world premiere of the lyrical drama Pelléas et Mélisande by Claude Debussy based on an adaptation of the play of the same name by Maurice Maeterlinck takes place at the Opéra-Comique in Paris.
- October 6th : The world premiere of the opera That was me! by Leo Blech takes place at the Dresden Court Opera . The libretto was written by Richard Batka using the play of the same name by Johann Hutt .
- November 21 : World premiere of the operetta Wiener Frauen by Franz Lehár at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna
- November 28 : World premiere of the opera Saul and David by Carl August Nielsen in Copenhagen
- December 16 : World premiere of the opera Götz von Berlichingen by Karl Goldmark at the National Opera in Budapest
- December 20 : The world premiere of the operetta Der Rastelbinder by Franz Lehár takes place at the Carltheater in Vienna . The libretto is by Victor Léon .
- December 25 : World premiere of the opera Kashchei the Immortal (Orig .: Kashchei bessmertny ) by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov at the Solodownikov Private Opera in Moscow
- January 25: Alexander Scriabin's 2nd Symphony is premiered in St. Petersburg .
- March 18th : World premiere of the string sextet Verklierter Nacht by Arnold Schönberg in Vienna.
- April 5th : World premiere of the piano piece Jeux d'Eau by Maurice Ravel
- March: The detective novel The Hound of the Baskervilles ( Hound of the Baskervilles by) Arthur Conan Doyle published as a book edition in London, a month before the final episode of the serialized novel in The beach Magazine comes out.
- May 4 : The comic figure Buster Brown, created by Richard Felton Outcault , appears in the New York Herald for the first time .
- 18 / October 19 : Hugo von Hofmannsthal's prose work Letter of Lord Chandos is published in two parts in the Berliner Zeitung the day .
- The utopian novel Old New Land of Theodor Herzl , who looks at a Jewish settlement in Palestine, will be published in Leipzig for the first time. In the year of publication, Old New Land was translated into Hebrew by Nachum Sokolow and given the poetic title Tel Aviv .
- The novel The Immoralist by André Gide appears in the literary magazine Mercure de France in Paris. The wealthy Michel confesses to three old friends three months after the death of his wife Marceline from the last three years of his marriage and talks about prostitution and his homosexuality, among other things.
- The Danish author Martin Andersen Nexø publishes his socially critical novel Abundance .
- Roman Typhoon by Joseph Conrad in London
- Satirical science fiction The Superman by Alfred Jarry in Paris
- Generation conflict novel Freund Hein by Emil Strauss in Berlin
- Autobiographical stories When I was still the forest farmer's boy by Peter Rosegger in Hamburg
- June 16 : Albert Einstein gets a job as Expert III. Class at the patent office in Bern .
- November 22nd : Armaments magnate Friedrich Alfred Krupp dies seven days after he was publicly outed as homosexual in Vorwärts .
- Foundation of the youth organization 4-H
- January 13th : With his thesis, expressed in a lecture to the German Orient Society , that the Jewish religion and the Old Testament were based on Babylonian roots , the Assyriologist Friedrich Delitzsch triggers the Babel-Bible dispute .
- April 27th : In Germany the first tent mission begins on the Tersteegensruh hill near Mülheim an der Ruhr .
- July 5th : Eleven-year-old Maria Goretti is the victim of a sex criminal who stabs her several times. The dying child forgives the perpetrator and is later canonized.
- November 22nd : After his impression of apostasy and religious ceremonies in the Church of Bohemia and Moravia, Pope Leo XIII called. a bishops' conference there with the encyclical Quae ad nos . Ways to remedy defects are to be found under the direction of Cardinal Leo Skrbenský from Hříště .
- April 14th : Storm in Berlin : After a downpour, the streets are under water for hours; there are dam slides and house collapses.
- April 19 : About 2,000 people die in a 7.5 magnitude earthquake in Guatemala , Central America .
- May 6 : The British passenger ship Camorta is sunk by a cyclone in the mouth of the Irrawaddy River (Indian Ocean) . All 739 people on board die.
- May 8 : A volcanic eruption of Mont Pelé on the Antilles island of Martinique kills around 30,000.
- July 21 : The pleasure steamer Primus sinks after a collision with the tug Hansa on the Lower Elbe near Hamburg. 101 of 206 passengers are killed.
- October 24 : Quetzaltenango , the second largest city in Guatemala , is largely destroyed by an eruption of the Santa María volcano , a catastrophe from which it never fully recovers despite being rebuilt.
- December 16 : Around 4,500 people are killed in a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Turkestan .
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
nature and environment
- May 22nd : Crater Lake National Park in the US state of Oregon is established. It includes the area of the Mount Mazama volcano and the 594 meter deep Crater Lake in its caldera . Inside Crater Lake is the famous Old Man of the Lake floating tree stump .
- January 1st : Georg Hackenschmidt succeeds in wrestling world championship revenge against Constant le Boucher in Paris .
- February 16 : The first ski race in Switzerland takes place near Bern . The German Heinrich von Dieskau wins.
- March 6 : Real Madrid is founded.
- March 9 : The Italian football club Vicenza Calcio is launched.
- April 5 : In the Glasgow football stadium Ibrox Park, the first Ibrox disaster occurs when a wooden stand collapses during the international match between Scotland and England . There are 25 dead and 517 injured spectators. The stadium's capacity will then be temporarily reduced from 75,000 to 25,000 spectators.
- April 28 : The football club Manchester United is renamed after a few businessmen around the new club president John Henry Davies avert the bankruptcy of the existing Newton Heath FC with a financial injection .
- May 19 : The German Tennis Association is founded in Berlin .
- August 10 : At the International Swimming Meeting in Vienna , the Englishman John Arthur Jarvis uses the "crawl" style for the first time - and wins.
- August 18 : Foundation of the Grazer AK soccer club
- September 17th : Meidericher SV ( MSV Duisburg ) is founded.
- October 12 : The first international match between two non-British teams is played by Austria and Hungary in Vienna. Result 5: 0
- In the Italian Cup (Florence, Italy) (car racing) Guido Adami wins
- The Hermannsweg for hiking opens in the Teutoburg Forest .
For entries of athletics world records, see under the respective discipline under athletics
|price||person||country||Reason for awarding the prize||image|
|Nobel Price for physics||
Hendrik Antoon Lorentz
|Netherlands||"As recognition of the extraordinary merit that they have earned through their investigations into the influence of magnetism on the radiation phenomena" (splitting of spectral lines in the magnetic field, Zeeman effect )|
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry||
|German Empire||"In recognition of the extraordinary merit he has earned through his synthetic work in the field of sugar and purine groups "|
|Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine||
|United Kingdom (born in Almora , India )||"For his work on malaria , through which he demonstrated how the disease gets into the organism and thus laid the foundation for successful research into this disease and its treatment methods"|
|Nobel Prize in literature||
|German Empire (born in Garding , Duchy of Schleswig , Denmark )||"The currently greatest living master of historical representation, with special consideration of his monumental work 'Roman History'"|
|Nobel Peace Prize||
|Switzerland||Head of the Bernese " International Permanent Peace Office " of the " Interparliamentary Union for International Arbitration ".|
Charles Albert Gobat
|Switzerland||Head of the Central Office of the “ Inter-Parliamentary Union for International Arbitration ”.|
- January 1 : Ernst Heinitz , German lawyer and rector of the Free University of Berlin († 1998 )
- January 1 : Hans von Dohnanyi , German lawyer and resistance fighter († 1945 )
- January 1 : Walerian Sorin , Soviet diplomat († 1986 )
- January 3 : Mario Agustoni , Swiss politician and lawyer († 1982 )
- January 3 : Annelise Reichmann , German painter and graphic artist († 2000 )
- January 6 : Max Güde , German lawyer and politician († 1984 )
- January 6 : Petrus Pavlicek , Austrian Franciscan († 1982 )
- January 7th : Willy Ascherl , German football player († 1929 )
- January 7th : Sumii Sue , Japanese writer († 1997 )
- January 8 : Franz Felke , German entrepreneur († 1990 )
- January 8 : Georgi Malenkow , Soviet politician († 1988 )
- January 8th : Gret Palucca , German dancer and dance teacher († 1993 )
- January 8 : Giulio Ramponi , Italian technician and racing car driver († 1986 )
- January 8 : Carl Rogers , American psychologist and youth psychotherapist († 1987 )
- January 8 : Kawakami Tetsutarō , Japanese writer († 1980 )
- January 9 : Emmi Pikler , Hungarian pediatrician and toddler educator († 1984 )
- January 9 : Josemaría Escrivá , founder of Opus Dei († 1975 )
- January 9 : Josef Zotz , Catholic priest and resistance fighter against the Nazi regime († 1941 )
- January 9 : Rudolf Bing , singer and director of the Metropolitan Opera in New York († 1997 )
- January 11 : Maurice Duruflé , French composer († 1986 )
- January 12 : Georges Delaroche , French racing driver († 1968 )
- January 13 : Edmund Geilenberg , representative of the German armaments industry in the Third Reich († 1964 )
- January 13 : Karl Menger , Austrian mathematician († 1985 )
- January 15 : Nâzım Hikmet , Turkish poet († 1963 )
- January 15 : Saud ibn Abd al-Aziz , King of Saudi Arabia († 1969 )
- January 16 : Josef Aschauer , German mountaineer, mountain rescuer, skier and ski jumper († 1995 )
- January 16 : Eric Liddell , Scottish athlete, Olympic champion and rugby player († 1945 )
- January 16 : Karl Neuner , German Nordic combined skier († 1949 )
- January 17 : Clyde D. Eddleman , American officer, General in the US Army († 1992 )
- January 17 : Edoardo Teagno , Italian racing car driver († 1945 )
- January 16 : Wilhelm Hauschild , German photographer († 1983 )
- January 18 : Umbo , German photographer († 1980 )
- January 18 : Émile Aillaud , French architect († 1988 )
- January 18 : Michael Freund , German political scientist and historian († 1972 )
- January 19 : Nikolaus Adler , German theologian († 1970 )
- January 19 : Max Matern , anti-fascist and member of the Communist Party of Germany († 1935 )
- January 19 : Georg Ostrogorsky , Yugoslav Byzantinist († 1976 )
- January 19 : Heinrich Schmidt-Barrien , German writer († 1996 )
- January 19 : J. Hermann Siemer , German politician († 1996 )
- January 20 : Leon Ames , American actor († 1993 )
- January 20 : Fridolin Stier , German Bible translator († 1981 )
- January 20 : Gisela Praetorius , German politician († 1981 )
- January 21 : Hans Andre , Austrian sculptor and painter († 1991 )
- January 22nd : Edvard Fendler , German conductor († 1987 )
- January 22nd : Walter Kolb , German politician († 1956 )
- January 23 : Cläre Schimmel , German radio play director, actress and opera singer († 1986 )
- January 24th : Antanas Adomaitis , Lithuanian clergyman, organist and professor († 1936 )
- January 24th : Oskar Morgenstern , Austrian economist († 1977 )
- January 25 : Gustav Abel , Austrian film architect and stage designer († 1963 )
- January 25 : Johann von Leers , Nazi publicist in the Third Reich († 1965 )
- January 25 : Nakano Shigeharu , Japanese writer († 1979 )
- January 26th : Curt Herzstark , Austrian inventor and office machine mechanic († 1988 )
- January 26 : Kurahara Korehito , Japanese literary critic († 1991 )
- January 27 : Heinrich Lützeler , Professor of Philosophy, Art History and Literary Studies († 1988 )
- January 27 : Ginette Martenot , French pianist, Ondes Martenot player and music teacher († 1996 )
- January 28 : Willy Popp , German problem composer and functionary († 1978 )
- January 30th : Giovanni Battista Guidotti , Italian racing car driver and motorsport official († 1994 )
- January 30th : Alexander Graf Stenbock-Fermor , author and resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1972 )
- January 30 : Nikolaus Pevsner , German art historian († 1983 )
- January 31 : Alva Myrdal , Swedish sociologist, politician and Nobel Peace Prize laureate († 1986 )
- January 31 : Tallulah Bankhead , American actress († 1968 )
- January 31 : Ernst Moritz Roth , German priest and Nazi opponent († 1945 )
- January 31 : Willy Spühler , Swiss politician († 1990 )
- February 1 : Langston Hughes , American writer († 1967 )
- February 1 : Erich Lüth , German publicist († 1989 )
- February 1 : Heinrich-Joachim von Morgen , German automobile racing driver († 1932 )
- February 2 : Elie Spivak , Canadian violinist and music teacher († 1960 )
- February 2 : Jane Ising , German-American economist († 2012 )
- February 3 : Alejandro Muñoz Ciudad Real , Salvadoran conductor and music teacher († 1991 )
- February 4th : Manuel Álvarez Bravo , Mexican photographer († 2002 )
- February 4 : Charles Lindbergh , American pilot († 1974 )
- February 4 : Willi Rose , German stage and film actor († 1978 )
- February 4 : Hartley Shawcross , British Justice Minister and British Chief Prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials († 2003 )
- February 5 : Hilde Benjamin , presiding judge and Justice Minister of the GDR († 1989 )
- February 5 : Paul Nevermann , German politician († 1979 )
- February 6 : Robert Dannemann , German politician († 1965 )
- February 6 : Rudolf Eickhoff , German politician († 1983 )
- February 7th : Wilhelm Kling , German politician († 1973 )
- February 7th : Bruno Linienbach , German SS general († 1977 )
- February 8 : Illa Andreae , German writer († 1992 )
- February 8 : Lucie Englisch , Austrian actress († 1965 )
- February 8 : Helene Glatzer , anti-fascist resistance fighter († 1935 )
- February 9 : Léon M'ba , first President of Gabon († 1967 )
- February 9 : Gertrud Scholtz-Klink , Reichsfrauenführerin in the Third Reich († 1999 )
- February 10 : Walter H. Brattain , American physicist and Nobel Prize winner. († 1987 )
- February 11 : Arne Jacobsen , Danish designer and architect. († 1971 )
- February 12 : Jean Georges Baer , Swiss naturalist († 1975 )
- February 12th : Will Glahé , German accordionist, composer and band leader († 1989 )
- February 12 : Heinz Kükelhaus , German travel journalist, novelist and adventurer († 1946 )
- February 13 : Waldemar Gurian , Russian-German-American political scientist († 1954 )
- February 13 : Blair Moody , American politician († 1954 )
- February 14 : Alexander Abusch , journalist, writer and politician in the GDR († 1982 )
- February 14 : Hans Griem , German politician († 1955 )
- February 15 : Adolf Feuring , German civil servant and politician († 1998 )
- February 16 : Hans Andersag , German chemist († 1955 )
- February 16 : Karl Saur , State Secretary in the NS Armaments Ministry and Armaments Minister († 1966 )
- February 17 : Alexei Rodin , Soviet-Russian Colonel General († 1955 )
- February 18 : Günter Adolphi , German process engineer and university lecturer († 1982 )
- February 19 : Fritz Artl , German lawyer († 1989 )
- February 19 : Kay Boyle , American writer and journalist († 1992 )
- February 19 : Tsuruta Tomoya , Japanese writer († 1988 )
- February 20 : Ansel Adams , American photographer († 1984 )
- February 20 : Ludwig Adenauer , German civil servant († 1971 )
- February 20 : Bertus Freese , Dutch football player († 1959 )
- February 20 : Wilhelm Guddorf , journalist and resistance fighter in the Third Reich († 1943 )
- February 22 : Bruno Arno , German actor, cabaret artist, choreographer and dancer († 1990 )
- February 22nd : Józef Chwedczuk , Polish organist and music teacher († 1979 )
- February 22nd : Hal Holmes , American politician († 1977 )
- February 22nd : Fritz Straßmann , German scientist († 1980 )
- February 22nd : Herma Szabó , Austrian figure skater († 1986 )
- February 23 : Tiny Feather , American football player († 1965 )
- February 24 : Richard Alewyn , German Germanist and literary critic († 1979 )
- February 24 : Gladys Aylward , British missionary († 1970 )
- February 24 : Herbert Warnke , Chairman of the FDGB and member of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the SED in the GDR († 1975 )
- February 25 : Hanns Geier , German racing car driver († 1986 )
- February 25 : Virginio Rosetta , Italian football player († 1975 )
- February 26 : Vercors , French writer, caricaturist († 1991 )
- February 27 : Lúcio Costa , Brazilian architect and urban planner († 1998 )
- February 27 : John Steinbeck , American author († 1968 )
- February 27 : Michał Wiłkomirski , Polish violinist, violist and music teacher († 1989 )
- February 28 : Elsa Scholten , German actress († 1981 )
- March 2 : Edward Condon , American physicist († 1974 )
- March 6 : Rudolf Mandrella , German lawyer and Nazi opponent († 1943 )
- March 7th : Heinz Rühmann , German actor († 1994 )
- March 10 : Kurt Hirschfeld , dramaturge and director († 1964 )
- March 12th : Jean Mineur , French film producer and director († 1985 )
- March 12 : Tüdel Weller , German journalist and writer († 1970 )
- March 13 : Hans Bellmer , German photographer, sculptor, painter and author († 1975 )
- March 13 : Marthe Robin , French mystic († 1981 )
- March 14 : Shterjo Atanasov , Bulgarian politician, officer and military historian († 1967 )
- March 14 : Franz Wilhelm Kieling , German administrative lawyer and mayor († 1953 )
- March 14 : Herbert Nette , German editor and writer († 1994 )
- March 15 : James T. Blair , American politician († 1962 )
- March 17 : Bobby Jones , American golfer († 1971 )
- March 18 : Ludwig Metzger , German politician († 1993 )
- March 20 : Mario Magnozzi , Italian football player and coach († 1971 )
- March 21 : Edward Anseele Jr. , Belgian politician and resistance fighter († 1981 )
- March 21 : Gustav Fröhlich , German actor, director and screenwriter († 1987 )
- March 21 : Son House , American blues musician († 1988 )
- March 23 : Josef von Báky , Hungarian director († 1966 )
- March 24 : Thomas E. Dewey , American politician († 1971 )
- March 28 : Paul Godwin , German-Dutch violinist and orchestra leader († 1982 )
- March 29 : Ludwig Anschütz , German actor and radio play speaker († 1985 )
- March 29 : Marcel Aymé , French storyteller and playwright († 1967 )
- March 29 : Don Miller , American lawyer, American football player and coach († 1979 )
- March 29 : William Walton , English composer and conductor († 1983 )
- March 30 : Victor Emanuel Anderson , American politician († 1962 )
- March 30 : Brooke Astor , American philanthropist († 2007 )
- March 30th : Ted Heath , British trombonist and band leader († 1969 )
- March 30th : Peeter Sink , Estonian pastor, poet, painter and photographer († 1957 )
- March 31 : Sadie Gale , Australian actress and entertainer († 1997 )
- March 31 : Bill Hoffman , American football player († 1994 )
- April 2 : Jan Tschichold , calligrapher, typographer, author and teacher († 1974 )
- April 3 : Otto Winzer , Minister for Foreign Affairs of the GDR († 1975 )
- April 3 : Reinhard Gehlen , General of the Wehrmacht and President of the Federal Intelligence Service († 1979 )
- April 4 : Robert Eberan von Eberhorst , Austrian designer († 1982 )
- April 4 : Stanley G. Weinbaum , American science fiction writer († 1935 )
- April 5 : Wal Handley , British motorcycle and automobile racer († 1941 )
- April 6 : Werner Abel , German journalist († 1935 )
- April 6 : Hisao Jūran , Japanese writer († 1957 )
- April 7th : Paul Greifzu , German automobile and motorcycle racing driver († 1952 )
- April 7 : Walter Drechsel , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1977 )
- April 8 : Hermann Ahrens , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1975 )
- April 9 : Théodore Monod , Africa explorer († 2000 )
- April 10 : Ernst Balzli , Bernese dialect writer and teacher († 1959 )
- April 10 : Harry Mortimer , British composer and conductor († 1992 )
- April 10 : Ivo Perilli , Italian screenwriter and director († 1994 )
- April 11 : Max "Xam" Abegglen , Swiss football player († 1970 )
- April 11 : Kobayashi Hideo , Japanese literary critic and writer († 1983 )
- April 12 : Louis Beel , Dutch politician and Prime Minister († 1977 )
- April 13 : Philippe de Rothschild , French entrepreneur, automobile racing driver and pioneer of French viticulture († 1988 )
- April 13th : Hildegard Schaeder , German church historian and "Righteous Among the Nations" († 1984 )
- April 14th : Fritz Domina , German pianist, arranger and film composer († 1975 )
- April 18 : Hans Hieronymus , German motorcycle racer († unknown)
- April 19 : Paul Collart , Swiss archaeologist († 1981 )
- April 19 : Weniamin Kawerin , Russian writer, author of young books († 1989 )
- April 21 : Jean Sébilleau , French racing driver († 1961 )
- April 23 : Halldór Laxness , Icelandic writer († 1998 )
- April 23 : Ladislao Mittner , Italian Germanist († 1975 )
- April 23 : Klaas Aldert Hendrik Hidding , Dutch Reformed theologian and church historian († 1986 )
- April 24 : Alfred Loritz , German politician († 1979 )
- April 25 : Kurt Gottschaldt , German psychologist and Gestalt theorist († 1991 )
- April 25 : Leopold Gutterer , German Nazi politician († 1996 )
- April 25 : Werner Heyde , Professor of Psychiatry and Neurology († 1964 )
- April 25 : William H. Wright , American film and television producer and screenwriter († 1980 )
- April 26 : Erich Auer , German trade unionist and resistance fighter († 1978 )
- April 27 : Rudolf Schoeller , Swiss racing driver († 1978 )
- April 28 : Ferdinand Eckhardt , Canadian art historian († 1995 )
- April 28 : Kurt Frey , German economist and politician († 1945 )
- April 28 : Alfred Rieche , German chemist († 2001 )
- April 30 : Peregrino Anselmo , Uruguayan football player († 1975 )
- April 30 : Theodore W. Schultz , American economist, Nobel Laureate († 1998 )
- May 1 : Mathias Erang , Luxembourg artistic gymnast († 1978 )
- May 1 : Ernst Nagelschmitz , German football player († 1987 )
- May 2 : Brian Aherne , British actor († 1986 )
- May 2 : Georg Kurlbaum , German politician († 1988 )
- May 2 : Werner Finck , German writer, actor and cabaret artist († 1978 )
- May 3 : Alfred Kastler , French physicist († 1984 )
- May 3 : José Nieto , Spanish actor († 1982 )
- May 6 : Peter Aschenbrenner , Austrian alpinist († 1998 )
- May 6 : Max Ophüls , German-French film director († 1957 )
- May 6 : Hermann Pfeiffer , German actor and director († 1969 )
- May 8 : André Lwoff , French microbiologist († 1994 )
- May 8 : Ethelbert Stauffer , Protestant theologian († 1979 )
- May 9 : Juan Santiago Garrido , Chilean composer and musicologist († 1994 )
- May 10 : Anatole Litvak , Ukrainian filmmaker († 1974 )
- May 10 : David O. Selznick , American film producer († 1965 )
- May 12 : Heinrich Kirchner , German sculptor († 1984 )
- May 14 : Allen Irvine McHose , American musicologist, music teacher and organist († 1986 )
- May 14 : Friedrich Schmiedl , Austrian rocket pioneer († 1994 )
- May 15 : Anny Ondra , German-Czech actress († 1987 )
- May 16 : Guy Bouriat , French racing car driver († 1933 )
- May 16 : Jan Kiepura , Polish tenor († 1966 )
- May 16 : Wladimir Lindenberg , doctor of Russian descent († 1997 )
- May 17 : Khuang Aphaiwong , Prime Minister of Thailand († 1968 )
- May 17 : Fausto Cleva , American conductor († 1971 )
- May 17 : Otto Lüthje , German actor († 1977 )
- May 20 : Helmuth Domizlaff , German antiquarian († 1983 )
- May 20 : Hans Sahl , German critic († 1993 )
- May 21 : Marcel Breuer , Hungarian architect and designer († 1981 )
- May 23 : Mark Lothar , German composer († 1985 )
- May 24 : Susano Polanco , Dominican tenor († 1991 )
- May 25 : Hanns Dustmann , German architect († 1979 )
- May 30th : Giuseppina Projetto , Italian age record holder († 2018 )
- June 1 : Siegfried Balke , German chemist, manager, politician and Federal Minister († 1984 )
- June 1 : Leopold Lindtberg , Austrian director († 1984 )
- June 1 : Artur Sträter , German politician († 1977 )
- June 2 : Joachim von Elbe , lawyer and diplomat († 2000 )
- June 2 : Giuseppe Lepori , Swiss politician († 1968 )
- June 3 : Harry Isaacs , English pianist and music teacher († 1973 )
- June 3 : Heinz Ritter-Schaumburg , German private scholar († 1994 )
- June 4 : Franz Firbas , German botanist († 1964 )
- June 5 : Robert Biberti , German singer († 1985 )
- June 5 : Georg Kieninger , German chess player († 1975 )
- June 6 : Herta Gotthelf , German politician († 1963 )
- June 6 : Axel Ivers , German actor, theater director, radio play speaker, playwright and translator († 1964 )
- June 6 : Jimmie Lunceford , American jazz musician († 1947 )
- June 6 : Tim Rose-Richards , British racing car driver and naval aviator († 1940 )
- June 8 : Aram Merangulyan , Armenian composer and conductor († 1967 )
- June 8 : Gotthard Neumann , German prehistorian († 1972 )
- June 10 : Gretel Adorno , German chemist and entrepreneur († 1993 )
- June 11 : Hermann Aicher , Austrian theater director († 1977 )
- June 11 : Ernst Wilhelm Nay , German painter († 1968 )
- June 11 : Pedro Biava Ramponi , Colombian composer († 1972 )
- June 11 : Vissarion Schebalin , Russian composer († 1963 )
- June 14 : Willy Eichberger , Austrian actor († 2004 )
- June 15 : Erik H. Erikson , German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst († 1994 )
- June 15 : Max Rudolf , German-American conductor († 1995 )
- June 16 : Barbara McClintock , American geneticist and Nobel Prize winner († 1992 )
- June 16 : George Gaylord Simpson , American biologist, zoologist, paleontologist († 1984 )
- June 17th : Sammy Fain , American musical and film composer († 1989 )
- June 17th : Woldemar Winkler , German painter, sculptor († 2004 )
- June 18 : Boris Barnet , Soviet film director and actor († 1965 )
- June 19 : Ernst Heimeran , German author and publisher († 1955 )
- June 20 : Juan Evaristo , Argentinian football player († 1978 )
- June 21 : Skip James , American blues singer, guitarist and pianist († 1969 )
- June 23 : Mathias Wieman , German actor († 1969 )
- June 26 : Antonia Brico , American conductor († 1989 )
- June 27 : Stanisław Wycech , Polish participant in the First World War († 2008 )
- June 27 : Peter Hammerschlag , Austrian poet, writer, cabaret artist and graphic artist († 1942 )
- June 27 : Georg Malmstén , Finnish singer, musician, composer, orchestra leader and actor († 1981 )
- June 28 : Richard Rodgers , American musical composer († 1979 )
- June 28 : Joe Smith , American jazz trumpeter († 1937 )
- June 28 : Bertram Eugene Warren , American crystallographer († 1991 )
- June 28 : John C. Raven , Scottish psychologist († 1970 )
- June 29 : Carl-Heinz Schroth , Austrian actor, director and voice actor († 1989 )
- June 30 : Walter Götze , German criminal († 1938 )
- June 30 : Adalbert Welte , Austrian writer († 1969 )
- July 1 : Adolf Gondrell , German emcee, film and stage actor († 1954 )
- July 1 : Maria Probst , German politician († 1967 )
- July 1 : Carlos Eduardo de Sabóia Bandeira Melo , Brazilian clergyman and bishop († 1969 )
- July 1 : William Wyler , American film director († 1981 )
- July 2nd : Gian Andreossi , Swiss ice hockey player
- July 3 : Hermann Nuding , German politician († 1966 )
- July 3 : Yoshino Hideo , Japanese writer († 1967 )
- July 4 : Abe Saperstein , American entrepreneur and basketball manager († 1966 )
- July 4 : Meyer Lansky , American Mafioso († 1983 )
- July 5 : Miguelito García , Cuban singer († 1993 )
- July 5 : Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. , American politician and diplomat († 1985 )
- July 6 : Hans Krüger , German politician († 1971 )
- July 6 : Heinz Neumann , German politician († 1937 )
- July 7 : Ted Radcliffe , American baseball player († 2005 )
- July 8 : Ömer Lütfi Akadlı , Turkish lawyer († 1988 )
- July 8 : Hans Theodor David , German-American musicologist († 1967 )
- July 9 : Gerhart Pohl , German writer and editor († 1966 )
- July 9 : Jutta Balk , painter, puppet designer and co-founder of the municipal puppet theater in Magdeburg († 1987 )
- July 10 : Kurt Alder , German chemist and Nobel Prize winner († 1958 )
- July 10 : Nathan Asch , Polish-American writer († 1964 )
- July 10 : Nicolás Guillén , Cuban poet and writer († 1989 )
- July 10 : Günther Weisenborn , German writer and dramaturge († 1969 )
- July 11 : Karl Fodermair , instrument maker and leader of various choirs and orchestras († 1986 )
- July 11 : Rolf Wideröe , Norwegian engineer and scientist († 1996 )
- July 11 : Samuel Abraham Goudsmit , American physicist († 1978 )
- July 12 : Günther Anders , German-speaking philosopher and essayist († 1992 )
- July 12 : Fernand Vandernotte , French rower († 1990 )
- July 14 : Anton Kaindl , last commandant of Sachsenhausen concentration camp († 1948 )
- July 14 : Fritz Jacobi , board member of Bayer AG and chairman of the SV Bayer 04 Leverkusen († 1974 )
- July 16 : Stefan Herman , Polish violinist and music teacher († 1981 )
- July 16 : Alexander Lurija , Soviet psychologist († 1977 )
- July 16 : Mary Philbin , American silent film actress († 1993 )
- July 18 : Juan Manuel Tato , Argentine physician, university professor and author († 2004 )
- July 20 : José Aguilar Álvarez , Mexican medic († 1959 )
- July 20 : Paul Yoshigorō Taguchi , Archbishop of Osaka and Cardinal († 1978 )
- July 21 : Johnston Murray , American politician († 1974 )
- July 23 : Walter Burle Marx , Brazilian composer, pianist and conductor († 1990 )
- July 24th : René Biolay , French racing car driver († 1945 )
- July 24th : Hans Chemin-Petit , German composer and conductor († 1981 )
- July 24th : Hellmuth Helsig , German film actor († 1958 )
- July 25 : Hans Helfritz , German composer, musicologist and writer († 1995 )
- July 26 : Gus Aiken , American jazz trumpeter and cornet player († 1973 )
- July 26 : Roger Branigin , American politician († 1975 )
- July 26 : Albert Forster , Gauleiter of the NSDAP and Reich Governor in Danzig († 1952 )
- July 27 : Hans-Dietrich von Diepenbroick-Grueter , German antiquarian and collector of portraits († 1980 )
- July 28 : Grzegorz Grzeban , Polish chess problem composer († 1991 )
- July 28 : Karl Popper , Austro-British philosopher and science theorist († 1994 )
- July 29 : David Arellano , Chilean football player († 1927 )
- July 29 : Jacques-André Boiffard , French doctor and photographer († 1961 )
- July 29 : Ernst Glaeser , German writer († 1963 )
- July 31 : Franz Asboth , Austrian politician († 1967 )
- August 1 : Lola Iturbe , Spanish anarchist and feminist († 1990 )
- August 1 : Otto Schmidt , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1984 )
- August 3 : Achim Gercke , German biologist († 1997 )
- August 3 : Martin Noth , German Protestant theologian († 1968 )
- August 3 : Fritz Pellkofer , German cross-country skier († 1943 )
- August 4th : Konrad Behrendt , German politician and resistance fighter († 1943 )
- August 4 : August Schläfer , German professor and founding rector of the University of Mechanical Engineering Karl-Marx-Stadt († 1967 )
- August 5th : Joseph Cornelius Rossaint , Catholic anti-fascist resistance fighter († 1991 )
- August 6 : Sylvain Julien Victor Arend , Belgian astronomer († 1992 )
- August 6 : Helmut Kraatz , German doctor († 1983 )
- August 7th : Ann Harding , American actress († 1981 )
- August 7th : August Herold , graduate farmer, chief agricultural officer and vine grower († 1973 )
- August 7th : Douglas Lowe , British athlete († 1981 )
- August 7 : Boris Schpitalny , Soviet weapons designer († 1972 )
- August 8 : Paul Dirac , British physicist and co-founder of the field of quantum physics († 1984 )
- August 9 : William Christopher Atkinson , British Romanist, historian, Hispanist and Lusitanist († 1992 )
- August 9 : Solomon , English pianist († 1988 )
- August 10 : Arne Tiselius , Swedish chemist († 1971 )
- August 10 : Curt Siodmak , screenwriter († 2000 )
- August 10 : Norma Shearer , American-Canadian actress († 1983 )
- August 11 : Alfredo Binda , Italian cyclist († 1986 )
- August 11 : Anna Moncrieff , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1995 )
- August 12 : Franz Etzel , German politician († 1970 )
- August 12 : Kirello VI. , Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark († 1971 )
- August 12 : Mohammad Hatta , Indonesian Vice President and Prime Minister († 1980 )
- August 12 : Robert F. Kennon , American politician († 1988 )
- August 13 : Ernst Forsthoff , German constitutional lawyer († 1974 )
- August 13 : Felix Wankel , German mechanical engineer and inventor of the rotary engine († 1988 )
- August 13 : Georges Aeby , Swiss composer and professor († 1953 )
- August 14 : Charlotte Ander , German actress († 1969 )
- August 14 : Ferdinand Marian , Austrian actor († 1946 )
- August 15 : Werner Kallmorgen , Hamburg architect († 1979 )
- August 16 : Georgette Heyer , English writer († 1974 )
- August 16 : Stefan Bolesław Poradowski , Polish composer († 1967 )
- August 17 : Ángel José Battistessa , Argentine Romance studies and translator († 1993 )
- August 18 : Julius Kalaš , Czech composer († 1967 )
- August 18 : Franz Oppenhoff , Lord Mayor of Aachen († 1945 )
- August 21 : Werner Fischer , German chemist († 2001 )
- August 22nd : Erwin Kramer , Minister for Transport of the GDR († 1979 )
- August 22 : Leni Riefenstahl , German dancer, actress († 2003 )
- August 22nd : Otto Kasten , founder of the Dr. Otto Kasten († 1989 )
- August 22 : Gerhard Schwarz , German church musician and organist († 1995 )
- August 24 : Fernand Braudel , French historian († 1985 )
- August 25 : Stefan Wolpe , German composer († 1972 )
- August 26 : Sergei Balasanjan , Soviet composer († 1982 )
- August 27 : Herbert Menges , English composer and conductor († 1972 )
- August 28 : Karl Braun , German motorcycle racer († 1937 )
- August 28 : Otto Neumann , German athlete († 1990 )
- August 30 : Alois Carigiet , Swiss artist, painter and children's book author († 1985 )
- August 30 : Joseph Maria Bocheński , Polish philosopher and logician († 1995 )
- August 30 : Arnold Walter , Czech-Canadian music teacher and writer († 1973 )
- August 30 : Alfonso de Elías , Mexican composer († 1984 )
- September 1 : Ernst-Ludwig von Aster , German hunting and animal painter († 1986 )
- September 1 : Eddie Kotal , American football player and coach, scout (sports) († 1973 )
- September 1 : Wilhelm Heiner , German sculptor, painter and graphic artist († 1965 )
- September 3 : Karl Saller , German anthropologist and doctor († 1969 )
- September 4 : Kurt Annecke , German pharmacist († 1961 )
- September 4 : Albert Venohr , German actor († 1979 )
- September 5 : Fritz-Dietlof von der Schulenburg , administrative officer and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- September 5 : Hans G. Bentz , German writer († 1968 )
- September 7th : Ludwig Böck , German skier († 1960 )
- September 8 : Ruth Elder , American aviation pioneer and actress († 1977 )
- September 9 : Herta Ilk , German politician († 1972 )
- September 10 : Jim Crowley , American football player, coach and official († 1986 )
- September 10 : Toivo Pekkanen , Finnish writer († 1957 )
- September 11 : W. Harold Anderson , American basketball player and coach († 1967 )
- September 11th : Barbecue Bob , American blues pioneer († 1931 )
- September 11th : Erni Finselberger , German politician († 1993 )
- September 12 : Beltrán Arbeleche , Uruguayan architect († 1989 )
- September 12 : Juscelino Kubitschek , President of Brazil († 1976 )
- September 12 : Alexander Witt , Russian theoretical physicist († 1938 )
- September 12 : Marya Zaturenska , American writer († 1982 )
- September 13 : Friedrich Stumpfl , Austrian psychiatrist and eugenicist († 1997 )
- September 14 : Adolf Rieth , German prehistorian († 1984 )
- September 14 : Nikolai Kamow , Soviet engineer († 1973 )
- September 15 : Fritz Riemann , German psychoanalyst († 1979 )
- September 16 : Jean Bourgknecht , Swiss politician († 1964 )
- September 16 : Mildred Harnack , American-German literary scholar († 1943 )
- September 16 : Germaine Richier , French sculptor and graphic artist († 1959 )
- September 17 : Hugo Hartung , German writer († 1972 )
- September 18 : Pawel Abankin , Soviet admiral († 1965 )
- September 20 : Vasil Mschawanadze , Georgian Communist Party leader († 1988 )
- September 21 : Allen Lane , British publisher († 1970 )
- September 21 : Ilmari Salminen , Finnish athlete († 1986 )
- September 22nd : José Quintero Parra , Archbishop of Caracas and Cardinal († 1984 )
- September 22 : Lucien Sicotte , Canadian violinist and music teacher († 1943 )
- September 23 : Su Buqing , Chinese mathematician († 2003 )
- September 24 : Cheryl Crawford , American theater director and producer († 1986 )
- September 25 : Sergei Borodin , Russian writer († 1974 )
- September 25 : Jenő Takács , Austrian composer and pianist († 2005 )
- September 25 : Karl König , founder of the international Camphill movement († 1966 )
- September 26 : Albert Anastasia , American Mafioso († 1957 )
- September 27 : Hans-Joachim Rehse , judge at the People's Court († 1969 )
- September 28 : Vladimir Myasishchev , Soviet aircraft designer († 1978 )
- September 29 : Maximilian Hohenberg , Duke of Hohenberg († 1962 )
- September 29 : Mikel Koliqi , Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1997 )
- September 30 : David Bernard Ast , American dentist and civil servant († 2007 )
- October 1 : Taras Borodajkewycz , member of the NSDAP, professor at the University of World Trade in Vienna († 1984 )
- October 2 : Leopold Figl , Austrian politician († 1965 )
- October 2 : Paul Scholz , Minister for Agriculture and Forestry of the GDR († 1995 )
- October 5 : Larry Fine , American comedian and actor († 1975 )
- October 5 : Lothar Zirngiebl , German entomologist and headmaster († 1973 )
- October 5 : Michał Kondracki , Polish composer († 1984 )
- October 5 : Ray Kroc , founder of McDonald's († 1984 )
- October 6 : Bruno Balz , German lyricist and hit poet († 1988 )
- October 6 : Gui Mombaerts , Belgian pianist and music teacher († 1993 )
- October 6 : Hoyt Ming , American old-time musician († 1985 )
- October 7 : Hermann Busch , German general († unknown)
- October 9 : Fritz Rémond junior , German actor, director and impresario († 1976 )
- October 10 : Erwin Leuchter , Argentine musicologist and conductor († 1973 )
- October 12 : Jimmy Archey , American trombonist and band leader († 1967 )
- October 12 : Pavel Reiman , Czech writer and literary historian († 1976 )
- October 12 : Max Suhrbier , German politician († 1971 )
- October 12 : Peng Zhen , Chinese politician († 1997 )
- October 13 : Eduard Orth , German politician († 1968 )
- October 13 : Luther H. Evans , American political scientist, UNESCO director general († 1981 )
- October 15 : Amparo Poch y Gascón , Spanish doctor and anarchist († 1968 )
- October 15 : Anton Sabel , German CDU politician († 1983 )
- October 17 : Irene Ryan , American actress († 1973 )
- October 18 : Friedrich Wilhelm Bogler , German painter († 1945 )
- October 18 : Reinhold Henzler , German economist († 1968 )
- October 18 : Miriam Hopkins , American actress († 1972 )
- October 18 : Pascual Jordan , German physicist († 1980 )
- October 18 : Sergei Konjus , Russian pianist and composer († 1988 )
- October 21 : Kurt Scharf , Protestant bishop († 1990 )
- October 25 : Eddie Lang , American jazz musician († 1933 )
- October 25 : Alfred E. Driscoll , American politician († 1975 )
- October 26 : Alfred Vogel , Swiss naturopath and pharmaceutical entrepreneur († 1996 )
- October 26 : Vera Guilaroff , Canadian pianist and composer († 1976 )
- October 26 : Beryl Markham , British aviation pioneer († 1986 )
- October 27 : Emil van Tongel , Austrian politician († 1981 )
- October 28 : Elsa Lanchester , British actress († 1986 )
- October 28 : Hermann Runge , German politician († 1975 )
- October 29 : Kitazono Katsue , Japanese poet († 1978 )
- October 31 : Carlos Drummond de Andrade , Brazilian poet († 1987 )
- October 31 : Sophie Ehrhardt , Russian-German anthropologist († 1990 )
- November 1 : Friedel Apelt , German politician and trade union official († 2001 )
- November 1 : Eugen Jochum , German conductor († 1987 )
- November 1 : Nordahl Grieg , Norwegian writer, poet, playwright and journalist († 1943 )
- November 3 : Bill Adams , English soccer player († 1963 )
- November 4 : Otto Bayer , German chemist († 1982 )
- November 4 : Pierre Verger , photographer († 1996 )
- November 6th : Valter Ever , Estonian athlete († 1981 )
- November 9th : Anthony Asquith , British film director († 1968 )
- November 9 : Bernd Eistert , German chemist († 1978 )
- November 10 : Antonio María Valencia , Colombian composer († 1952 )
- November 11 : Ernő Goldfinger , Hungarian-British architect († 1987 )
- November 11th : Teófilo Yldefonso , Filipino swimmer († 1942 )
- November 13 : Gustav Heinrich Ralph von Koenigswald , German-Dutch paleoanthropologist and geologist († 1982 )
- November 15 : Gustav Adolf Steengracht von Moyland , German diplomat and politician († 1969 )
- November 16 : Emil Dähne , German chess official († 1968 )
- November 17 : Eugene Paul Wigner , American physicist and Nobel Prize winner († 1995 )
- November 18 : Lillian Fuchs , American violist, music teacher and composer († 1995 )
- November 20 : Gianpiero Combi , Italian football player († 1956 )
- November 20 : Erik Eriksen , Danish politician of the right-wing liberal party Venstre († 1972 )
- November 20 : Wolfgang Kunkel , German lawyer and legal historian († 1981 )
- November 21 : Walter Adolph , German priest († 1975 )
- November 21 : Ferenc Hirzer , Hungarian football player and coach († 1957 )
- November 21 : Harald Lie , Norwegian composer († 1942 )
- November 21 : Isaac Bashevis Singer , writer and Nobel Prize winner for literature 1978 († 1991 )
- November 22 : Joe Adonis , Italian mafioso († 1971 )
- November 22 : Emanuel Feuermann , Austrian cellist († 1942 )
- November 22nd : Jacques-Philippe Leclerc de Hauteclocque , French major general († 1947 )
- November 22nd : Ethel Smith , American organist († 1996 )
- November 23 : SO Wagner , German actor, author, radio play speaker, radio play and theater director († 1975 )
- November 24 : Heinrich Hemsath , German politician († 1978 )
- November 27 : Franz Hofer , Gauleiter of Tyrol and Vorarlberg († 1975 )
- November 27 : Hartwig Sievers , German actor and radio play speaker († 1970 )
- November 28 : Franz Op den Orth , German SPD politician († 1970 )
- November 28 : Karl Maria Hettlage , German economist († 1995 )
- November 29 : Carlo Levi , Italian writer, painter and politician († 1975 )
- November 30th : Leopold von Mildenstein , journalist († 1968 )
- December 1 : Hermann Auer , German physicist († 1997 )
- December 2 : Milagros Leal , Spanish actress († 1975 )
- December 5 : Strom Thurmond , American politician († 2003 )
- December 6 : Giovanni Colombo , Archbishop of Milan and Cardinal († 1992 )
- December 6 : Karl Reiche , German writer († 1959 )
- December 6th : Karl Schmidt , resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1945 )
- December 10 : Heinrich Deist , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1964 )
- December 10 : Ludwig Szymczak , communist († 1945 )
- December 10 : Mikhail Vladimirovich Alpatov , Russian art historian († 1986 )
- December 11 : Josef Schüttler , German politician († 1972 )
- December 11 : Reginald Le Borg , Austrian-American director († 1989 )
- December 12 : Koloman Sokol , Slovak artist († 2003 )
- December 13 : Paul Kurzbach , German composer († 1997 )
- December 13 : Talcott Parsons , American sociologist († 1979 )
- December 14 : Herbert Feigl , Austrian-American philosopher († 1988 )
- December 15 : Bernard L. Austin , American Vice Admiral († 1979 )
- December 16 : Rafael Alberti , Spanish poet († 1999 )
- December 16 : Oskar Grether , German Protestant theologian and university professor († 1949 )
- December 17 : Albert Drach , Austrian lawyer and writer († 1995 )
- December 19 : Ralph Richardson , British actor († 1983 )
- December 20 : George, 1st Duke of Kent , fourth son of King George V and Mary († 1942 )
- December 21 : Ewald Sprave , German politician († 1984 )
- December 21 : Peetie Wheatstraw , American blues musician († 1941 )
- December 21 : Ulrich Wilhelm Graf Schwerin von Schwanenfeld , German officer and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- December 22nd : August Neuburger , German politician († 1999 )
- December 22 : Alfonso de Silva , Peruvian composer († 1937 )
- December 23 : Chaudhary Charan Singh , Prime Minister of India († 1987 )
- December 24th : Jean de Menasce , French theologian and orientalist († 1973 )
- December 25th : Theodor Bongartz , German SS Oberscharführer and head of the crematorium in the Dachau concentration camp († 1945 )
- December 25 : Georg Dertinger , Minister for Foreign Affairs of the GDR († 1968 )
- December 25 : Emanuel Punčochář , Czech conductor and composer († 1976 )
- December 25 : Tassilo Tröscher , German politician and Hessian minister († 2003 )
- December 27 : Francesco Agello , Italian pilot († 1942 )
- December 28 : Mortimer Adler , American philosopher and writer († 2001 )
- December 28 : Otto Andres , German politician († 1975 )
- December 29 : Gustav Adolf Nosske , SS-Obersturmbannführer († 1986 )
- December 29 : Henry Vars , American film composer of Polish origin († 1977 )
- December 31 : Jan Čep , Czech writer and translator († 1973 )
- December 31 : Matthias Gleitze , German local politician († 1989 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Willi Ahrem , German soldier († 1967 )
- Douglas Cameron , English cellist and music teacher († 1972 )
- Ruhollah Khomeini , political and spiritual leader of the Islamic revolution in Iran († 1989 )
- January 1 : Johann Eduard Jacobsthal , German architect (* 1839 )
- January 4th : Auguste Jauch , German philanthropist (* 1822 )
- January 8 : Ludwig Beckmann , German painter (* 1822 )
- January 8 : Adam Worth alias Henry J. Raymond, German-American criminal (* 1844 )
- January 11th : Adam Flasch , German archaeologist (* 1844 )
- January 14th : Cato Maximilian Guldberg , Norwegian mathematician and chemist (* 1836 )
- January 19 : August Köhler , German colonial official and governor of Togo (* 1858 )
- January 21 : Ernst Wichert , German writer and lawyer (* 1831 )
- January 22nd : Otto Scholderer , German painter (* 1834 )
- January 29 : Carl Arendt , German sinologist (* 1838 )
- February 4 : Jacob Lindboe , Norwegian lawyer and politician (* 1843 )
- February 8 : Sergei Mossin , Russian weapons designer (* 1849 )
- February 11 : Emil Hartmeyer , German lawyer and publisher (* 1820 )
- February 18 : Albert Bierstadt , German-American painter (* 1830 )
- February 18 : Sigismund Wilhelm Koelle , missionary and linguist (* 1820 )
- February 18 : Charles Lewis Tiffany , American jeweler (* 1812 )
- February 20 : Wilhelm Asmus , German writer (* 1837 )
- February 21 : Emil Holub , Bohemian Africa explorer (* 1847 )
- February 21 : Mathias Kneißl , Bavarian robber (* 1875 )
- February 23 : Bernhard Maximilian Lersch , German doctor and scientist (* 1817 )
- February 24th : August Eisenlohr , German Egyptologist (* 1832 )
- February 26 : Baptista de Andrade , Portuguese admiral (* 1811 )
- February 26 : George Washington Anderson , American politician (* 1832 )
- March 3 : Karl Krause , German entrepreneur (* 1823 )
- March 6 : Moriz Kaposi , medic (* 1837 )
- March 9 : Hermann Allmers , German homeland poet (* 1821 )
- March 11 : Friedrich Engelhorn , founder of BASF (* 1821 )
- March 12th : Georg Hummel , German electrical engineer, inventor and entrepreneur (* 1856 )
- March 19 : Victor Langer , Hungarian composer (* 1842 )
- March 21 : Wilhelm Ihne , German classical philologist and ancient historian (* 1821 )
- March 23 : Kálmán Tisza , Hungarian Prime Minister (* 1830 )
- March 24th : Friedrich Wilhelm Stade , German organist, conductor and composer (* 1817 )
- March 26 : Cecil Rhodes , British politician and head of government (* 1853 )
- March 28 : Conrad Wilhelm Hase , founder of the Hanover School of Architecture (* 1818 )
- April 3 : Andreas Reischek , Austrian ethnographer, ornithologist and explorer (* 1845 )
- April 4 : Josef Ferch , Romanian-German composer, church musician and music teacher (* 1840 )
- April 6 : Walther Arnsperger , German philosopher (* 1871 )
- April 11th : Wade Hampton III. , American Civil War general and Governor of South Carolina (* 1818 )
- April 12 : Alfred Cornu , French physicist (* 1841 )
- April 19 : Lucien Lester Ainsworth , American politician (* 1831 )
- April 19 : Hans von Pechmann , German chemist (* 1850 )
- April 26 : Lazarus Fuchs , German mathematician (* 1833 )
- May 5 : Amancio Alcorta , Argentine politician and legal scholar (* 1842 )
- May 5 : Bret Harte , American writer (* 1836 )
- May 8 : Paul Leicester Ford , American writer, historian and biographer (* 1865 )
- May 9 : Julius Grosse , German writer (* 1828 )
- May 24th : Hubert Theophil Simar , Archbishop of Cologne (* 1835 )
- May 26 : Almon Strowger , American inventor (* 1839 )
- May 28 : Adolf Kussmaul , German doctor and medical researcher (* 1822 )
- May 29 : Olga Arendt , German writer and actress (* 1859 )
- May 30th : Sylvester Pennoyer , American politician (* 1831 )
- May 31 : Bernhard Loose , Bremen banker (* 1836 )
- June 1 : Auguste Eichhorn , German women's rights activist (* 1851 )
- June 10 : Auguste Schmidt , German women's rights activist, (* 1833 )
- June 11 : Otto Eckmann , German painter and graphic artist (* 1865 )
- June 16 : Ernst Schröder , German mathematician and logician (* 1841 )
- June 17 : Karl Piutti , German composer (* 1846 )
- June 18 : Jacob Achilles Mähly , Swiss classical philologist (* 1828 )
- June 19 : Albert I , King of Saxony (* 1828 )
- June 19 : John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton , English historian (* 1834 )
- June 20 : Caspar Joseph Brambach , German composer (* 1833 )
- June 28 : Edouard Castres , Swiss painter (* 1838 )
- July 2 : Émery Lavigne , Canadian pianist, organist and music teacher (* 1859 )
- July 4th : Vivekananda , Hindu monk and scholar (* 1863 )
- July 5 : John Stromberg , Canadian composer, pianist and conductor (* 1858 )
- July 6 : Maria Goretti , Italian saint (* 1890 )
- July 6 : Leopold Miguéz , Brazilian composer (* 1850 )
- July 7th : Agnes von Auer , German writer (* 1822 )
- July 9th : Mark Matwejewitsch Antokolski , Russian sculptor (* 1843 )
- July 9 : William Marvin , American politician (* 1808 )
- July 10 : Julius von Ficker , German-Austrian historian (* 1826 )
- July 13 : Benjamin Bilse , German conductor and composer (* 1816 )
- July 13 : Emanuel Herrmann , Austrian economist and inventor of the postcard (* 1839 )
- July 16 : Heinrich Hofmann , German composer (* 1842 )
- July 16 : Karl Ludwig Werner , German organist and composer (* 1862 )
- July 22nd : Mieczysław Halka Ledóchowski , Cardinal and Archbishop of Gniezno (* 1822 )
- July 23 : Elsa Neumann , German physicist (* 1872 )
- July 26 : Charles Kendall Adams , American historian and university professor (* 1835 )
- July 29 : Joseph Kürschner , German writer and lexicographer (* 1853 )
- August 1 : Frederick Augustus Packer , Australian organist, composer and music teacher (* 1839 )
- August 3rd : August Klughardt , German composer and conductor (* 1847 )
- August 7th : Rudolf von Bennigsen , German politician (* 1824 )
- August 8 : James Tissot , French painter (* 1836 )
- August 8 : John Henry Twachtman , American impressionist painter (* 1853 )
- August 9 : Moritz Szeps , Austrian journalist and newspaper publisher (* 1835 )
- August 10 : James McMillan , American politician (* 1838 )
- August 21 : Franz Sigel , General in the American Civil War (* 1824 )
- August 22 : Teresa Stolz , Czech opera singer, Verdi interpreter (* 1834 )
- August 25 : Heinrich von Mendel-Steinfels , Prussian State Economics Council and member of the Prussian House of Representatives (* 1849 )
- August 26 : George Hoadly , American politician (* 1826 )
- August 31 : Mathilde Wesendonck , German writer (* 1828 )
- September 1 : Tyree Harris Bell , Brigadier General of the Confederate Army in the Civil War (* 1815 )
- September 5 : Rudolf Virchow , German doctor, pathologist and politician (* 1821 )
- September 6th : Frederick Augustus Abel , English chemist (* 1827 )
- September 7th : William N. Roach , American politician (* 1840 )
- September 7th : Franz Wüllner , German composer and conductor (* 1832 )
- September 8 : William Coleman Anderson , American politician (* 1853 )
- September 8 : James Hobrecht , German urban planner (* 1825 )
- September 11th : Émile Bernard , French organist and composer (* 1843 )
- September 12 : Charles B. Andrews , American politician (* 1836 )
- September 13 : John Horace Forney , Confederate General (* 1829 )
- September 22nd : Alexander Linnemann , German architect, glass painter and craftsman (* 1839 )
- September 25 : Wilhelm Oechelhäuser , secret councilor of commerce (* 1820 )
- September 26 : Levi Strauss , German-American industrialist and inventor of jeans (* 1829 )
- September 28 : Iosif Ivanovici , Romanian composer (* around 1845 )
- September 29 : Émile Zola , French writer and journalist (* 1840 )
- September 29 : Gustav von Goßler , Royal Prussian Minister of State (* 1838 )
- October 2 : John Whiteaker , American politician (* 1820 )
- October 4 : Peter Soemer , German theologian and poet (* 1832 )
- October 7th : Emmerich Andresen , German sculptor and porcelain designer (* 1843 )
- October 18 : Carl Spindler , German entrepreneur (* 1841 )
- October 22 : Walter Hauser , Swiss politician (* 1837 )
- October 25 : Frank Norris , American writer (* 1870 )
- October 26 : Elizabeth Cady Stanton , American civil and women's rights activist (* 1815 )
- November 11 : Wilhelm Lauser , German publicist and historian (* 1836 )
- November 19 : Philipp Arons , German genre and portrait painter (* 1821 )
- December 2 : Richard Belcredi , Austrian politician (* 1823 )
- December 3 : Arno von Arndt , Prussian general of the infantry (* 1835 )
- December 6 : Francis George Atkinson , British administrator (* 1874 )
- December 6th : Louis Jordan , German farmer and politician (* 1837 )
- December 7th : Thomas Nast , German-American cartoonist (* 1840 )
- December 18 : Anton Thraen , German astronomer (* 1843 )
- December 22nd : Richard von Krafft-Ebing , German psychiatrist and coroner (* 1840 )
- December 22nd : James S. Boynton , American politician (* 1833 )
- December 23 : Émile Nagant , Belgian arms manufacturer and designer (* 1830 )
- December 24th : Takayama Chogyū , Japanese writer (* 1871 )
- December 27 : Otto Agricola , German politician (* 1829 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Rudolf Friedrich Arendt , German chemist and educator (* 1828 )
- Gabriel Desmoulins , French composer, organist and music teacher (* 1842 )
- Agop Güllü , Armenian theater director (* 1840 )
- http://www.dhm.de/lemo/html/1902/ (Living virtual museum online)