Calendar overview 1905
|Petersburg Bloody Sunday leads to the revolution of 1905 and the convening of the first Duma .|
|von Schlieffen presents the Schlieffen Plan .||
Bertha von Suttner
receives the Nobel Peace Prize .
|1905 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1353/54 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1897/98 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Baha'i calendar||61/62 (turn of the year 20/21 March)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1310/11 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2448/49 (southern Buddhism); 2447/48 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||76th (77th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1267/68 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4238/39 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1283/84 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1322/23 (March 7/8)|
Meiji 38 (
明治 38 年);
|Jewish calendar||5665/66 (September 29/30)|
|Coptic calendar||1621/22 (September 10-11)|
|Rumi Calendar (Ottoman Empire)||1320/21 (March 1st)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2215/16 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2216/17 (turn of the year October)
|Suriyakati Calendar (Thai Solar Calendar)||2447/48 (April 1)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1961/62 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 1st : The German colony Togoland is renamed Togo .
- January 2 : German troops storm the fortress of the Nama in the colony German South West Africa .
- March 31 : Emperor Wilhelm II. Applies to a visit to Tangier one to face France German interests in Morocco to demonstrate
- July 20 : The Maji Maji uprising breaks out in German East Africa .
- January 12 : The Riksdagshuset , the seat of the Swedish Parliament, is inaugurated after around eight years of construction.
- June 7th : The Norwegian Parliament decides to dissolve the personal union with Sweden.
- August 13 : In a referendum with 85% turnout, a majority of 368,208 to 184 of Norwegians are in favor of the union with Sweden .
- September 23 : The Treaty of Karlstad Sweden and Norway peacefully end the since 1814 existing personal union of both countries.
- October 25th : The Swedish King Oskar II renounces immediately to be Norwegian king.
- November 1st : Sweden gets its own flag without a union symbol due to the termination of the union with Norway. The flag of Sweden shows the lying Scandinavian cross yellow on a blue background.
- November 18 : The Danish Prince Håkon VII from the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg becomes King of Norway .
The German Imperium
- January 17th : Start of the largest strike to date on the Ruhr , in which up to 225,000 miners take part. The strike was canceled on February 9th
- April 1 : With the Prussian Water Act, the construction of the Mittelland Canal is decided.
- July 23 : Meeting of Kaiser Wilhelm II with Tsar Nicholas II in Björkö; a planned alliance treaty is not ratified by either country, so that the German Reich does not succeed in breaking Russia out of the alliance with France .
- September 23 : The SPD party conference in Jena adopts a resolution drafted by August Bebel to use strike as a political weapon .
- October 1 : At the request of the Prussian government, the cities of Meiderich , Ruhrort and Duisburg are amalgamated to form Greater Duisburg. The merger takes place in order to end the competition between the state Ruhrorter Hafen and the urban ports of the city of Duisburg. The Duisburg-Ruhrort ports are now under a single administration.
- November 27 : The German Association of Cities is constituted in Berlin .
- December 26th : Presentation of the Schlieffen Plan
- January 1st : Paul Freiherr Gautsch von Frankenthurn becomes the new Austrian Prime Minister.
- October 23 : In Prague , workers respond to an appeal by the Social Democrats and go on strike to gain universal suffrage in the Danube Monarchy.
- November 27 : Moravian Compromise : To resolve the nationality question, the Moravian Landtag receives a Czech and a German chamber.
Other events in Europe
- January 1 : Marc-Emile Ruchet becomes President of Switzerland .
- July 3 : The French parliament decides to strictly separate church and state .
- September 11th : A general strike after the execution of several workers for political crimes cripples public life in Warsaw .
- December 9th : In France the law separating church and state ("Loi Combes") is passed.
Russia / Japan
- January 2 : The Russian fortress of Port Arthur surrenders to Japanese troops after a 157-day siege . The loss of the port and thus one of the most important bases of operations of the Russians destroys the plans to unite the 1st and 2nd Pacific Squadrons and is considered to be decisive for Russia's defeat in the Russo-Japanese War .
- January 22nd : On St.Petersburg Bloody Sunday , soldiers solve a star march to the Tsar's palace of more than 30,000 people under the leadership of the Orthodox priest Father Georgi Gapon , who peacefully demonstrate for more humane operating conditions, agricultural reforms, abolition of censorship and religious tolerance as well as the creation of a representative body , brutally on. The number of fatalities varies between 130 and over 1000. The 1905 Russian Revolution begins.
- February 17 : The Social Revolutionary Ivan Platonovich Kaljajew carried out an attack on the Governor of Moscow, Sergei Alexandrovich Romanov , when the nobleman approached the Kremlin in his carriage . The Grand Duke dies instantly in the bomb explosion. The assassin will be executed on May 23 .
- February 20 : The Battle of Mukden in the Russo-Japanese War begins; it dragged on for three weeks and ended on March 10 with a decisive Russian defeat. Japan then occupies southern Manchuria , Russia withdraws into northern Manchuria.
- March 3 : Tsar Nicholas II approves the establishment of a Duma .
- April 29th : The tsar's edict of tolerance gives the religious minorities in Russia more freedom.
- May 7th : A pogrom against Jews breaks out in Zhitomir , Russia , which lasts three days and claims countless victims.
- May 27 : The naval battle at Tsushima between the Japanese fleet under Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō and a Russian squadron under the command of Admiral Sinowi Petrovich Roschestvensky ends with a devastating defeat on the Russian side and is decisive for the outcome of the Russo-Japanese War . Military historians consider it the first modern sea battle in world history.
- May 28 : The sea battle at Tsushima in the Russo-Japanese War that began the day before ends with a success for the Japanese fleet.
- June 27 : On the Russian battleship Knyaz Potemkin Tawritscheski mutiny the sailors and profess by the hoisting of the red flag of communism , which twenty years later as a model for Sergei Eisenstein's film Battleship Potemkin serves.
- July 7th : Japanese forces begin occupation of Sakhalin , which is completed on July 31st .
- September 5 : The signing of the Portsmouth Treaty ends the Russo-Japanese War but leads to the Hibiya Riots in Japan .
- October 30th : (October 17th July). Tsar Nicholas II issues the October Manifesto, thereby calling the first Russian Duma .
- November 4th : The Grand Duchy of Finland regains its autonomy, Russian is no longer the official language.
- November 8th : First Russian sailors' revolt in Kronstadt
- December 3rd : Dissolution of the Petersburg Soviet and arrest of its leaders
- December 20 : The Bolsheviks lead a general strike in Moscow , which turns into an armed uprising . However, this will be suppressed by the end of December.
Other events in Asia
- July 21 : In the Yıldız assassination attempt on Sultan Abdülhamid II by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation in Istanbul, 26 people die and 58 are injured. The sultan survived the assassination attempt.
- October 16 : The British colonial power divides Bengal into a predominantly Muslim east and a predominantly Hindu west. The partition of Bengal is rejected by the local population and revised around seven years later after violent riots.
- November 17 : Japan-Korea Protectorate Treaty of 1905 : Korea becomes a Japanese protectorate and loses its sovereignty.
- December 12 : The confiscation of a sugar warehouse and the public flogging of the largest sugar trader Seyed Hashem Ghandi and his son lead to a riot in Tehran and mark the beginning of the Constitutional Revolution in Iran .
United States of America
- March 4 : Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in again as US president after winning the 1904 presidential election in the United States . Charles W. Fairbanks becomes Vice President .
- May 15th : The official founding of Las Vegas takes place with a land auction to speculators and investors by rancher widow Helen Stewart .
- July 11. bis 14. July : 32 African American found in a secret meeting near the Niagara Falls , the Niagara Movement , the nucleus of the African American civil rights movement .
- August 21 : An assembly, consisting of representatives of the five civilized nations Muskogee , Cherokee , Chickasaw , Choctaw and Seminoles , meets in Muskogee in the remaining Indian territory to work out a constitution for the projected, Indian-influenced state of Sequoyah .
- December 30 : Frank Steunenberg , former governor of the US state of Idaho is, outside his home in a bomb assassination killed.
- September 1 : With the separation from the Northwest Territories , Alberta and Saskatchewan become independent provinces of Canada within the Canadian Confederation . Governor General Albert Gray, 4th Earl Gray , appoints a lieutenant governor for both provinces. Frederick Haultain's term as Prime Minister of the Northwest Territories ends. The previously independent Keewatin District will be incorporated into the Northwest Territories.
- September 2nd : Alexander Cameron Rutherford of the newly formed Alberta Liberal Party is appointed Alberta's first Prime Minister by Lieutenant Governor George Bulyea .
- September 5 : Lieutenant Governor Amédée Forget appoints Thomas Walter Scott of the Saskatchewan Liberal Party as the first Prime Minister of Saskatchewan.
- December 13 : The first election to the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly brings Liberals to victory.
- July 11 : Hermann Anschuetz receives patent for its electrically driven gyro ( gyro ).
- October 3 : The Frenchman Léon Creux patented an air compressor with high efficiency, which was successful as a G-charger in Volkswagen models in the 1980s .
- November 21 : Lecturer John Ambrose Fleming receives a patent in Great Britain for the tube diode he calls the kenotron .
- June 1 : The first Kraftpost line in Germany goes into operation between Bad Tölz and Lenggries .
- July 18 : The first railway line of the German Reserve Togo is railway Lomé Aného opened. Its main purpose is to export oil palm products .
- July 30th : The Venice Miniature Railway goes into operation.
- January 26th : The largest rough diamond to date is found in the Premier mine near Pretoria . It weighs 3,106 carats and is named Cullinan, the name of the mine owner.
- May 28 : The showman Carl Krone names his menagerie as Circus Charles , which later becomes the Circus Krone .
- August 26th : After five years of construction, the Urfttalsperre in the north-western Eifel is approved for water management .
- Establishment of the Industrial Workers of the World
science and technology
- January 2nd : Charles Dillon Perrine discovers Jupiter's moon Elara .
- August 30th : A total solar eclipse can be observed in southern Europe , Algeria and Egypt .
Biology / Medicine / Paleontology
- March 3 : Fritz Schaudinn and Erich Hoffmann discovered the syphilis pathogen Spirochaeta pallida during research at the Charité Clinic in Berlin .
Mathematics / physics
- September 27th : A mathematical connection between mass (m) and energy (E) is established by Albert Einstein in his second essay on the theory of relativity .
- December 23 : Walther Nernst presents his new heat set at the Göttingen Academy of Sciences .
- Albert Einstein publishes four important papers: an explanation of the photoelectric effect ( submitted March 17 ), two fundamental articles on special relativity and one on Brownian molecular motion , which is why Einstein's 1905 is also called " annus mirabilis ".
- Egon Schweidler discovers the first non- causal physical process and explains the statistical nature of radioactivity .
- Sigmund Freud publishes the studies The Joke and its Relationship to the Unconscious and Three Essays on Sexual Theory .
- February 5 : In the Valley of the Kings , KV46, the rock tomb of an ancient Egyptian civil servant couple of the 18th dynasty is found.
- February 24 : The Simplon Tunnel , at 19,770 m the longest base tunnel in the world at the time , is pierced.
- March 2 : On the Balearic island of Mallorca is the limestone cave system Coves dels Hams discovered.
- June 23 : The third engine airplane Wright Flyer III of the Wright brothers started with Orville Wright at the helm for the first flight .
- June 26 : To 22:38 welcomes Iceland the first telegram . The British company Marconi Company sends it via radio of Cornwall from. The submarine cable does not follow until a year later.
- August 6th : The 1st World Esperanto Congress begins in Boulogne-sur-Mer ( France ) .
- Satirical novel Professor Unrat by Heinrich Mann in Munich , filmed in 1930 ( The Blue Angel )
- Collection of poems Songs of Life and Hope by Rubén Darío in Madrid
- Adventure novel Wolfsblut by Jack London in New York City
- Language playing gallows songs by Christian Morgenstern in Berlin
- Poetry cycles The book of hours by Rainer Maria Rilke in Leipzig
- Roman Johann Christoph as the first volume of a decalogy by Romain Rolland in Paris
- Youth book classic Lausbubengeschichten by Ludwig Thoma in Munich
- Ironic novel The House of Delights by Edith Wharton in New York City
- Miniature Bible by Franz Eugen Schlachter in Biel for Switzerland and by Johannes Schergens in Bonn for Germany
- June 7th : Foundation of the artist association Die Brücke , from which the development of Expressionism originated
- October 18 : Opening of the 3rd Salon d'Automne in Paris, scandal over the paintings of the artists known as Fauves
- Pablo Picasso paints the painting Boy with a Pipe .
- Hermann Pleuer : Main hall of the Stuttgart train station
Music and theater
- January 25 : Arnold Schönberg conducts the world premiere of his symphonic poem Pelleas and Melisande based on the drama by Maurice Maeterlinck in the Great Hall of the Musikverein in Vienna .
- January 29th : Die Kindertotenlieder , a song cycle by Gustav Mahler based on texts from a collection of poems of the same name by Friedrich Rückert has its world premiere in Vienna under the direction of the composer with Friedrich Weidemann as the soloist. Four of Mahler's Rückert songs will be premiered in the same concert. The first edition will appear in the same year.
- February 13 : The opera King Arthur by Isaac Albéniz premieres in Brussels.
- March 16 : The tragic opera Amica by Pietro Mascagni based on the libretto by Paul de Choudens is premiered at the Théâtre du Casino in Monte Carlo . The evening was a triumph, but the Italian premiere on May 13 in Rome was less successful. Opera never becomes an integral part of the repertoire.
- April 14th : World premiere of the comic opera Die Marriage against Will by Engelbert Humperdinck in Berlin
- April 16 : World premiere of the opera Jessika by Josef Bohuslav Foerster at the National Theater in Prague
- May 13th : First acclaimed performance by the dancer Mata Hari
- May 25 : World premiere of the play Mensch und Übermensch by George Bernard Shaw in London
- May 28 : World premiere of the children's opera The Snow Hero by César Cui in Yalta
- May 29 : First performance of the 3rd symphony by Alexander Scriabin in Paris under Arthur Nikisch .
- September 7 : The theater magazine Die Schaubühne (later Die Weltbühne ), founded by Siegfried Jacobsohn , appears for the first time.
- September 29th and 30th : Two-part drama Totentanz by August Strindberg in Cologne
- October 15th : World premiere of the Tonbilder La mer by Claude Debussy in Paris
- October 19 : World premiere of the revised (and final) version of the violin concerto by Jean Sibelius under Richard Strauss in Berlin
- November 18 : World premiere of the operetta Prinzess Rosine by Paul Lincke at the Apollo Theater in Berlin
- After Leo Fall experienced a debacle with his opera Irrlicht in Mannheim at the beginning of the year, he switched to writing operettas. The world premiere of his work Der Rebell on November 28th at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna did not have a better fate.
- November 28 : The comedy Major Barbara by George Bernard Shaw has its premiere at the Royal Court Theater in Chelsea.
- December 9th : The one-act opera Salome by Richard Strauss based on the drama of the same name by Oscar Wilde in the German translation by Hedwig Lachmann is premiered at the Dresden Court Opera with Marie Wittich , Irene von Chavanne , Karel Burian and Karl Perron in the leading roles . Ernst von Schuch is the musical director .
- December 10 : The world premiere of the naturalistic drama Mother Mews by Fritz Stavenhagen takes place in Hamburg in the Low German dialect .
- December 22nd : The world premiere of the ballet The Dying Swan by Michel Fokine takes place in Saint Petersburg with Anna Pavlova as prima ballerina .
- December 30 : The Merry Widow by Franz Lehar , an operetta in three acts with a libretto by Victor Léon and Leo Stein after Henri Meilhacs comedy L'attaché d'ambassade is with Mizzi Günther and Louis Treumann in the leading roles at the Theater an der Vienna premiered in Vienna. The piece, which is considered to be the main representative of the so-called " Silver Operetta Era ", will be Lehár's most successful and best-known operetta.
- January 1st : Gabriel Fauré becomes the new director of the Conservatoire de Paris .
- September 12 : In Copenhagen , the new town hall, designed according to Italian models, is inaugurated, which is said to adorn Denmark's highest tower.
- October 15 : The New York Herald newspaper begins the Little Nemo comic series , invented and drawn by Winsor McCay .
- November 8 : Opening of the Leopold Hoesch Museum
- Construction of the Seidlvilla in Munich
- Foundation of the Bloomsbury Group
- Foundation of the Nuremberg Opera House
- Opening of the Hagenau Historical Museum
- January 1st : The Vegetable Society of Monte Verità is founded in Ascona .
- February 23 : The Rotary Club is founded in Chicago
- February 26th : The Federation for Maternity Protection is founded in Berlin.
- June 27th : The trial of Mpondo Akwa from Cameroon , in which the defense lawyer Moses Levi obtained an acquittal, begins before the Altona regional court with great public sympathy .
- September 27 : Mandatory license plates for motor vehicles are introduced in Austria by regulation .
- December 10 : The Austrian writer Bertha von Suttner is the first woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for her work Die Waffen Down! .
- December 11th : The Saxon King Friedrich August III. explains Radeberger Pilsener by decree as his majesty's table drink .
- The purely poster friends e. V. for art in advertising is founded by six men in Berlin.
- January 11th : New York City begins work on the Catholic Encyclopedia under the direction of five editors .
- February 27 : Inauguration of the Berlin Cathedral
- June 19 : Pope Pius X allows Italian Catholics to politicize.
- July: Foundation of the Baptist World Alliance ( Baptist World Alliance )
- August 15 : The First All-Russian Congress of Muslims takes place in Nizhny Novgorod (Russian: Нижний Новгород).
- October 25th : The Protestant League of France is established, in which the most important Protestant denominations are represented.
- January 1 : The Argentine football club CA Independiente is founded in the Avellaneda district of Buenos Aires.
- March 11th : SV Trier 05 is founded as the predecessor of SV Eintracht Trier 05 .
- March 10 : The English football club FC Chelsea is founded in the London borough of Fulham .
- March 16 : 1. FSV Mainz 05 is founded in 1905 as the 1st Mainz soccer club "Hassia" .
- May 3rd : DSC Arminia Bielefeld is founded under the name 1. Bielefelder FC Arminia .
- May 9th : SSV Reutlingen 05 is founded under the name FC Arminia Reutlingen in 1905 .
- May 11th : The final of the German soccer championship takes place in Cologne-Weidenpescher Park . The Berlin TuFC Union 92 wins against the Karlsruher FV 2-0.
- October 1st : The Turkish sports club Galatasaray is founded in Istanbul . Ali Sami Yen becomes the first president . The football department was founded on October 20th . Registration is not yet possible in the Ottoman Empire at this point in time, so the association remains unofficial until 1912.
- October 14 : The Spanish football club Sevilla FC is founded.
- October 14 : The international air sports association Fédération Aéronautique Internationale ( FAI ) is founded in Paris.
- November 4th : The founding of the German Ski Association is decided in Munich.
- November 10th : The Düsseldorf Automobile and Motorsport Club 05 is founded in Düsseldorf as the Düsseldorf Motorcycle Club .
- November 17 : KFC Uerdingen 05 , which was called FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen between 1953 and 1995 , is founded as FC Uerdingen 05 .
- In Germany , the first touring car rally is organized by the English painter, sculptor, musician and writer Sir Hubert von Herkomer .
For entries of athletics world records, see under the respective discipline under athletics .
- January 20 : The Egyptian Bridge , a structure from the first third of the 19th century, collapses in Saint Petersburg . A suspension rope breaks, as a cavalry - squadron , the Chain Bridge crossing. All 60 soldiers who fell in the Fontanka River are rescued and several horses drown.
- April 4 : A 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Kangra , India . approx. 19,000 dead
- July 23 : In a thunderstorm in Arzberg (Styria) , six out of ten boys who stayed on a cherry tree are killed by lightning. The survivors are in mortal danger.
- September 8 : A 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Calabria , Italy , killing 557
- September 11 : The Japanese ship of the line Mikasa sinks after an ammunition explosion off Sasebo . Of the 935-strong crew, 256 died and 343 were injured
- November 18 : On the Breton coast, the British steamship Hilda rams a reef in a snow storm off the island of Cézembre and sinks. 125 passengers and crew members die.
Minor accidents are listed in the sub-articles of Catastrophe .
|price||person||country||Reason for awarding the prize||image|
|Nobel Price for physics||
|German Empire (born in Pressburg , then Austria-Hungary )||"For his work on cathode rays "|
|Nobel Prize in Chemistry||
Adolf von Baeyer
|German Empire||"In recognition of the service he has earned in the development of organic chemistry and the chemical industry through his work on organic dyes and hydroaromatic compounds"|
|Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine||
|German Empire||"For his investigations and discoveries in the field of tuberculosis "|
|Nobel Prize in literature||
|"Poland" (at that time a historical landscape, no partial state or administrative unit of Russia )||"Because of his great services as an epic writer"|
|Nobel Peace Prize||
Bertha von Suttner
|Austria (born in Prague , now the Czech Republic )||Your life's work, novel Put down your arms! , "Permanent International Peace Bureau", probably suggested Nobel to donate the Nobel Peace Prize|
- January 2 : Auguste Lechner , Austrian writer and author of young adult books († 2000 )
- January 2 : Max Niedermayer , German publisher and author († 1968 )
- January 2 : Michael Tippett , English composer († 1998 )
- January 3 : Anna May Wong , American silent film actress († 1961 )
- January 4 : Wolfgang Fränkel , German Attorney General († 2010 )
- January 5 : Michele Navarra , a senior member of the Mafia († 1958 )
- January 6 : Eric Frank Russell , British writer († 1978 )
- January 6th : Otto Kuss , Catholic theologian († 1991 )
- January 8 : Carl Gustav Hempel , philosopher, student of logical positivism († 1997 )
- January 8 : Giacinto Scelsi , Italian composer († 1988 )
- January 8 : Grete Mosheim , German actress († 1986 )
- January 10 : Ruth Moufang , German mathematician († 1977 )
- January 11th : Ellery Queen , American crime novelist († 1971 )
- January 12 : Hüseyin Nihâl Atsız , Turkish author, historian and poet († 1975 )
- January 13 : Kay Francis , American actress († 1968 )
- January 14 : Kurt Ganske , German bookseller and publisher († 1979 )
- January 15 : Marian Abramski , Polish victim of National Socialism († 1942 )
- January 15 : Leo Oskarowitsch Arnstam , Soviet film director and author († 1979 )
- January 16 : Itō Sei , Japanese writer, translator and literary critic († 1969 )
- January 17th : Louis Armand , French mining engineer, railroad worker and President of the European Atomic Energy Community († 1971 )
- January 17th : Peggy Gilbert , American jazz musician, saxophonist and band leader († 2007 )
- January 17 : Artur Streiter , German writer and anarchist († 1946 )
- January 18 : Herbert de Castro , Panamanian composer and conductor († 1969 )
- January 19 : Max Amann , German swimmer and water polo player († 1945 )
- January 19 : Wladimir von Horbowski-Zaranek , Georgian piano teacher († 1989 )
- January 21 : Eduardo Brito , Dominican opera and zarzuela singer (baritone) († 1946 )
- January 21 : Christian Dior , French fashion designer († 1957 )
- January 21 : Heinz Kähler , German archaeologist († 1974 )
- January 21 : Werner Neumann , Bach researcher († 1991 )
- January 21 : Karl Wallenda , German-American high-wire artist († 1978 )
- January 21 : Wanda Wasilewska , Polish and Soviet politician († 1964 )
- January 22 : Karola Bloch , Polish-German architect and publicist († 1994 )
- January 23 : Erich Borchmeyer , German athlete († 2000 )
- January 23 : Erich Neumann , German-Israeli psychologist and psychoanalyst († 1960 )
- January 23 : Wilhelm Senftleben , Mayor († 1992 )
- January 23 : Jesse Thoor , German writer († 1952 )
- January 24 : Karol Mroszczyk , Polish composer and music teacher († 1976 )
- January 25 : Edward Colman , American cameraman († 1995 )
- January 25 : Maurice Roy , Archbishop of Québec and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1985 )
- January 25 : Margery Sharp , English writer († 1991 )
- January 25 : Julia Frances Smith , American composer and pianist († 1989 )
- January 26th : Marceau Fourcade , French rower
- January 26 : John Carmel Heenan , Archbishop of Westminster and Cardinal († 1975 )
- January 26 : Bernhard Minetti , German actor († 1998 )
- January 26 : Karl Schefold , classical archaeologist († 1999 )
- January 26th : Maria Augusta von Trapp , American singer and writer († 1987 )
- January 27 : Burhan Atak , Turkish football player and referee († 1987 )
- January 27 : Rasim Atala , Turkish football goalkeeper († 1969 )
- January 28 : Jörgen Andersen , politician († 1993 )
- January 28 : Mathieu Lange , German musician († 1992 )
- January 28 : Luther George Simjian , inventor († 1997 )
- January 29 : Heinz Lieberich , legal historian and archivist († 1999 )
- January 29 : Barnett Newman , American painter († 1970 )
- January 30th : Eli Lotar , French photographer († 1969 )
- January 31 : John O'Hara , American writer († 1970 )
- January 31 : Martin Hellberg , German director, actor and author († 1999 )
- January 31 : Theodor Burkhardt , German football player († 1958 )
- February 1 : Emilio Segrè , American physicist († 1989 )
- February 1 : Lloyd Viel Berkner , American physicist († 1967 )
- February 1 : Joan Morgan , silent film actress and screenwriter († 2004 )
- February 2 : Ayn Rand , American writer († 1982 )
- February 3 : Paul Ariste , Estonian linguist († 1990 )
- February 3 : Hermann Henselmann , German architect († 1995 )
- February 3 : Albert K. Hömberg , German historian and author († 1963 )
- February 5 : Brigitte von Arnim , German writer († 1965 )
- February 5 : Roger Filiatrault , Canadian singer (baritone) and music teacher († 1973 )
- February 5 : August Haußleiter , German politician and journalist († 1989 )
- February 5 : Adolfo Mejía , Colombian composer († 1973 )
- February 6 : Irmgard Keun , German writer († 1982 )
- February 6 : Władysław Gomułka , Polish politician and party leader of the PZPR († 1982 )
- February 7 : Paul Nizan , French novelist († 1940 )
- February 7th : Ulf von Euler , Swedish physician and neurochemist († 1983 )
- February 8 : Viktor Achter , German lawyer, university professor and entrepreneur († 1981 )
- February 8 : Wilhelm Angele , German-American engineer for rocket control technology († 1996 )
- February 8 : Lawrence Henry Aurie , Canadian ice hockey player and coach († 1952 )
- February 8 : Josef Becker , German politician († 1996 )
- February 9 : David Cecil, 6th Marquess of Exeter (Lord Burghley), British athlete and longtime IAAF President († 1981 )
- February 11 : Zdeněk Burian , draftsman and graphic artist († 1981 )
- February 12 : Walter Frank , German President of the Reich Institute for History († 1945 )
- February 12 : Federica Montseny , Spanish writer and anarcho-syndicalist († 1994 )
- February 13 : Fritz Dietrich , German composer († 1945 )
- February 15 : Harold Arlen , American composer, Oscar winner († 1986 )
- February 15 : Roberto Rey , Chilean actor († 1972 )
- February 16 : Paul Wandel , Minister for National Education and Youth of the GDR († 1995 )
- February 17 : Eric Fernihough , British motorcycle racer († 1938 )
- February 17 : Rózsa Péter , Hungarian mathematician († 1977 )
- February 18 : Ludwig Arnold , German politician († 1962 )
- February 19 : Carl Schneiders , German painter († 1975 )
- February 20 : Herminio Giménez , Paraguayan composer († 1991 )
- February 23 : Ludwig Gehm , social democratic resistance fighter against National Socialism († 2002 )
- February 23 : Richard Czaya , German chess official and chess player († 1978 )
- February 23 : Leonidas Zoras , Greek composer († 1987 )
- February 24 : Horst-Gerhard Bender , German lawyer and SS judge († 1987 )
- February 24th : La Jana , German dancer and actress († 1940 )
- February 25 : Albert Ganzenmüller , State Secretary (NSDAP) († 1996 )
- February 25 : Harald Lander , Danish ballet dancer and choreographer († 1971 )
- February 25 : Perry Miller , American historian and literary scholar († 1963 )
- February 27th : Franchot Tone , American film actor († 1968 )
- February 28 : Louis Metcalf , American jazz musician († 1981 )
- February 28 : Wolfgang Steinitz , German linguist, folk song collector and ethnologist († 1967 )
- March 1 : Kurt Diedrich , German schoolboy and non-fiction author († 1982 )
- March 2 : Marc Blitzstein , American composer († 1964 )
- March 2nd : Leslie Callingham , British racing driver († 1960 )
- March 2 : Roberto Francisco Chiari Remón , 31st President of Panama († 1981 )
- March 2 : Herbert Gerigk , German musicologist and National Socialist († 1996 )
- March 3 : Marie Glory , French actress († 2009 )
- March 5 : William John St. Clair Anstruther-Gray , British politician († 1985 )
- March 5 : Günther Lüders , German actor († 1975 )
- March 5 : Fritz Schwerdtfeger , German forest scientist and zoologist († 1986 )
- March 6 : Bob Wills , American country musician and band leader († 1975 )
- March 7 : Abraham Ángel Card Valdés , Mexican artist († 1924 )
- March 10 : Victor L'Episcopo Anfuso , American lawyer and politician († 1966 )
- March 10 : Albert LaMadeleine , Canadian fiddle player († 1986 )
- March 11 : Johannes Busch , German Protestant theologian and evangelist († 1956 )
- March 14 : Raymond Aron , French political scientist, sociologist, publicist († 1983 )
- March 14 : Herbert Heinicke , German chess player († 1988 )
- March 15 : Carl Curtis , American politician († 2000 )
- March 15 : Alexander Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg , German historian († 1964 )
- March 15 : Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg , German lawyer and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- March 16 : Elisabeth Flickenschildt , German stage and film actress († 1977 )
- March 17 : Toni Menzinger , German politician († 2007 )
- March 18 : Thomas Townsend Brown , American physicist († 1985 )
- March 18 : Robert Donat , British actor († 1958 )
- March 18 : Benny Friedman , American football player and coach († 1982 )
- March 18 : Paul Thieme , German Indologist († 2001 )
- March 19 : Beppe Assenza , Italian painter († 1985 )
- March 19 : Albert Speer , German architect and functionary during the Nazi era († 1981 )
- March 20 : Raymond Bernard Cattell , British-American psychologist († 1998 )
- March 22nd : Carlo Alberto Pizzini , Italian composer and conductor († 1981 )
- March 23 : Joan Crawford , American film actress († 1977 )
- March 23 : Paul Grimault , French cartoonist and director († 1994 )
- March 24th : Willy Bartsch , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1988 )
- March 24th : Réal Gagnier , Canadian oboist and music teacher († 1984 )
- March 24 : Rudolf Otto Wiemer , German poet and teacher († 1998 )
- March 25 : Adolf Hennecke , GDR worker activist († 1975 )
- March 25 : Albrecht Mertz von Quirnheim , German officer and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- March 25 : Pote Sarasin , Thai Prime Minister and Secretary General of SEATO († 2000 )
- March 26 : Václav Černý , Czech writer and translator († 1987 )
- March 26 : Viktor Frankl , neurologist and psychiatrist († 1997 )
- March 26 : Erich Oberdorfer , German plant biologist († 2002 )
- March 26 : Štěpán Trochta , Bishop of Litomerice and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1974 )
- March 26 : Pablo Garrido , Chilean composer and jazz musician († 1982 )
- March 27 : Leroy Carr , American blues musician († 1935 )
- March 27 : Rudolf-Christoph von Gersdorff , German officer and Hitler bomber († 1980 )
- March 28 : Marlin Perkins , American zoologist and zoo director († 1986 )
- March 28 : Hans Rahner , Austrian composer and piano virtuoso († 2008 )
- March 29 : Philip Ahn , American actor († 1978 )
- March 29 : Hans Georg Amsel , German entomologist († 1999 )
- March 30th : Lonnie Austin , American old-time musician († 1997 )
- March 30th : Archie Birkin , British motorcycle racer († 1927 )
- March 31 : Big Maceo Merriweather , American blues musician († 1953 )
- March 31 : Robert Stevenson , British-American film director, screenwriter and film producer († 1986 )
- April 1 : Gaston Eyskens , Belgian politician and three-time Prime Minister († 1988 )
- April 1 : Sir Paul Meernaa Caedwalla Hasluck , Australian politician († 1993 )
- April 1 : Eugenio Siena , Italian racing driver († 1938 )
- April 1 : Winfried Zillig , German composer, music theorist and conductor († 1963 )
- April 2 : Kurt Adler , Austrian-American conductor († 1988 )
- April 2 : Andrea Schorta , Swiss Romance philologist († 1990 )
- April 2 : Herman Walder , American musician († 1991 )
- April 2 : Reginald Zupancic , Austrian clergyman († 1999 )
- April 3 : Eugen Luisk , German-Baltic painter († 1995 )
- April 4 : Eugène Bozza , French composer († 1991 )
- April 4 : Hanns Diettrich , German sculptor († 1983 )
- April 5 : Sanya Dharmasakti , Thai politician († 2002 )
- April 5 : Jef Maes , Belgian composer and professor († 1996 )
- April 6 : Richard Perlia , German test pilot, editor and photographer († 2012 )
- April 7 : Hans Peter Feddersen , German sculptor († 1998 )
- April 7 : Ulrich Ilg , Austrian politician and governor of Vorarlberg († 1986 )
- April 7 : Georg Richter , German athlete († 1995 )
- April 8 : Curt Ackermann , German actor († 1988 )
- April 8 : Joachim Büchner , German athlete († 1978 )
- April 8th : Arnulf Klett , Lord Mayor of Stuttgart († 1974 )
- April 9 : J. William Fulbright , American politician († 1995 )
- April 11 : Attila József , Hungarian poet († 1937 )
- April 11 : Joseph Platz , German-American chess player († 1981 )
- April 12 : Warren G. Magnuson , American politician († 1989 )
- April 12 : Günther Sewald , German politician († 1949 )
- April 13 : Bruno Rossi , Italian astrophysicist († 1993 )
- April 14 : Georg Lammers , German athlete († 1987 )
- April 15 : Bernard Addison , American jazz guitarist and banjo player († 1990 )
- April 16 : Franz Merkle , economist († 1960 )
- April 16 : Paul-Pierre Philippe , Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1984 )
- April 18 : Karl Michael Gutenberger , German politician († 1961 )
- April 18 : George Herbert Hitchings , American scientist and Nobel Prize winner († 1998 )
- April 19 : Tommy Benford , American jazz musician († 1994 )
- April 19 : John Niemann , German chess problem composer († 1990 )
- April 20 : Albrecht Unsöld , German astronomer and physicist († 1995 )
- April 21 : Karl Junker , German chess problem composer († 1995 )
- April 21 : Ursula von Wiese , German-Swiss actress, translator and writer († 2002 )
- April 24 : Robert Penn Warren , American writer and poet († 1989 )
- April 26 : Josef Ackermann , German politician († 1997 )
- April 26 : Jean Vigo , French film director († 1934 )
- April 28 : George A. Kelly , Professor of Clinical Psychology († 1967 )
- April 29 : Erich Naumann , German head of Einsatzgruppe B, Head of Office III SD Main Office († 1951 )
- April 29th : Hal Pereira , American set designer († 1983 )
- May 1 : Henry Koster , German film director († 1988 )
- May 1 : Theodor Oberländer , German politician († 1998 )
- May 2 : Alan Rawsthorne , English composer († 1971 )
- May 2 : Charlotte Armstrong , American crime novelist († 1969 )
- May 3 : Albrecht von Bayern , head of the House of Wittelsbach († 1996 )
- May 4 : Al Dexter , American country musician and songwriter († 1984 )
- May 4 : Mátyás Seiber , Hungarian composer († 1960 )
- May 5 : Floyd Gottfredson , American comic artist and writer († 1986 )
- May 6 : René Dreyfus , French racing car driver († 1993 )
- May 6 : Alexander Wilberg , Austrian politician († 1992 )
- May 7 : Bumble Bee Slim , American blues musician († 1968 )
- May 8 : Red Nichols , American jazz musician, cornet player and trumpeter († 1965 )
- May 10 : Franz Xaver Meitinger , German politician († 1966 )
- May 10 : Markos Vamvakaris , Greek singer, composer and bouzouki interpreter († 1972 )
- May 11 : Joe McCoy , American blues guitarist and singer († 1950 )
- May 11 : Grete Weiskopf , children's book author († 1966 )
- May 11 : Johann Bernhard Michael Schneider , German chess problem composer († 1984 )
- May 12 : Artur Becker , resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1938 )
- May 13 : Wolfgang Abel , Austrian anthropologist († 1997 )
- May 13 : Hermann Anselment , German painter († 1981 )
- May 13 : Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed , Indian politician and President († 1977 )
- May 13 : Emmi Bonhoeffer , wife of resistance fighter Klaus Bonhoeffer († 1991 )
- May 13 : Kurt Diebner , German nuclear physicist († 1964 )
- May 13 : Walter Richter , German actor († 1985 )
- May 14 : Herbert Morrison , American radio reporter († 1989 )
- May 14 : Jean Daniélou , Roman Catholic Jesuit and Cardinal († 1974 )
- May 14 : Nikolai Alexandrovich Tikhonov , Soviet politician († 1997 )
- May 15 : Abraham Zapruder , American textile manufacturer, amateur filmmaker and contemporary witness († 1970 )
- May 15 : Joseph Cotten , American actor († 1994 )
- May 16 : Henry Fonda , American actor († 1982 )
- May 16 : Lothar Irle , Siegerland local history researcher and writer († 1974 )
- May 17 : Roland Gagnier , Canadian bassoonist and music teacher († 1975 )
- May 18 : Leo Barkin , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1992 )
- May 18 : Erich Zeisl , Austrian composer and music teacher of Jewish origin († 1959 )
- May 18 : Francesco Carpino , Archbishop of Palermo and Cardinal († 1993 )
- May 19 : Maurice Banide , French football player and coach († 1995 )
- May 20 : Manuel Dicenta , Spanish actor († 1974 )
- May 20 : Gerrit Achterberg , Dutch poet († 1962 )
- May 20 : Seni Pramoj , Thai Prime Minister († 1997 )
- May 21 : Edward Lockspeiser , British musicologist, music critic and composer († 1973 )
- May 21 : Annik Saxegaard , Norwegian writer († 1990 )
- May 22 : Bodo von Borries , German electrical engineer and co-inventor of the electron microscope († 1956 )
- May 22 : Paul Oskar Kristeller , humanism researcher († 1999 )
- May 24 : Mikhail Alexandrowitsch Scholokhov , Soviet writer († 1984 )
- May 25 : Nils Ahrbom , Swedish architect († 1997 )
- May 25 : Wilhelm Apel , German politician († 1969 )
- May 25 : Gustav Rudolf Sellner , German director and theater manager († 1990 )
- May 28 : Stefan Auer , Romanian-Hungarian football player († 1977 )
- May 29 : Kurt Schwabe , German chemist († 1983 )
- May 29 : Fela Sowande , Nigerian composer, organist and music teacher († 1987 )
- May 30th : Franziska Bennemann , German politician († 1986 )
- May 31 : Adolf Süsterhenn , German politician, minister, lawyer († 1974 )
- May 31 : Angela Nikoletti , South Tyrolean teacher († 1930 )
- June 1 : Dinorá de Carvalho , Brazilian pianist and composer († 1980 )
- June 1 : Heinz Haffter , Swiss classical philologist († 1998 )
- June 1 : Franz von Sonnleithner , representative of the Foreign Office at the Führer Headquarters († 1981 )
- June 2 : Margarethe Noé von Nordberg , Austrian actress († 1995 )
- June 3 : Martin Gottfried Weiß , concentration camp commandant in the Third Reich († 1946 )
- June 5 : John Abbott , British actor († 1996 )
- June 6 : Georges Anawati , Egyptian Dominican, priest and Islamic scholar († 1994 )
- June 6 : Arthur Mendel , American choir conductor, musicologist and teacher († 1979 )
- June 7 : Jim Braddock , American boxer († 1974 )
- June 8 : Jean Fellot , French organist and music teacher († 1967 )
- June 9 : Ricardo Pérez Godoy , head of a military junta in Peru from 1962 to 1963 († 1982 )
- June 9 : Walter Wilhelm Johann Kraft , German organist and composer († 1977 )
- June 10 : Hanns Ludin , SA-Obergruppenführer and Ambassador of Slovakia († 1947 )
- June 11 : Wilhelm Kratz , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1986 )
- June 11 : Ladislaus Winterstein , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1964 )
- June 12 : Ray Barbuti , American sprinter and Olympic champion († 1988 )
- June 12 : Arthur Flemming , American politician († 1996 )
- June 12 : Kurt Mantel , German forest scientist († 1982 )
- June 12 : Alfred Sabisch , German sculptor († 1986 )
- June 13 : František Bartoš , Bohemian composer († 1973 )
- June 13 : Chen Yun , economic politician of the People's Republic of China († 1995 )
- June 13th : Doc Cheatham , jazz trumpeter († 1997 )
- June 14 : Liesel Bach , German aerobatic pilot († 1992 )
- June 14 : Heinrich Kloidt , German economist († 1970 )
- June 15 : Rudolf Petersen , German captain († 1983 )
- June 16 : Leslie Denison , British actor († 1992 )
- June 16 : Walter Glaß , German Nordic combined athlete († 1981 )
- June 18 : Ettore Mazzoleni , Canadian conductor and music teacher († 1968 )
- June 18 : Eduard Tubin , Estonian composer († 1982 )
- June 18 : Marjorie Westbury , British actress, radio play speaker and singer († 1989 )
- June 19 : Klaus Conrad , German neurologist and psychiatrist († 1961 )
- June 19 : Rush D. Holt , American politician († 1955 )
- June 19 : Georges Mercure , Canadian Benedictine monk, organist, choir director and composer († 1993 )
- June 20 : Lillian Hellman , American writer († 1984 )
- June 21 : Jacques Goddet , French sports journalist († 2000 )
- June 21 : Jean-Paul Sartre , French writer and philosopher († 1980 )
- June 22nd : Walter Leigh , British composer († 1942 )
- June 23 : Paul Desmarteaux , Canadian actor († 1974 )
- June 24 : Peter Bendel , Russian painter († 1989 )
- June 24 : Georgia Hale , American actress († 1985 )
- June 25 : Rupert Wildt , German-American astronomer († 1976 )
- June 26 : Rudolf Klupsch , German athlete († 1992 )
- June 26 : August Momberger , German racing car driver and engineer († 1969 )
- June 26 : Ruth Seydewitz , German journalist and writer († 1989 )
- June 27 : Alfred Lemmnitz , Minister for National Education of the GDR († 1994 )
- June 28 : Kurt Ulrich , German film producer († 1967 )
- June 29 : Franz Abelmann , German manager († 1987 )
- July 1 : Peter Tobaben , German politician († 1972 )
- July 2 : Ishikawa Tatsuzō , Japanese writer († 1985 )
- July 3 : Friedrich Hartjenstein , camp commandant of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp († 1954 )
- July 4th : Dante Fiorillo , American composer († 1995 )
- July 4th : Lionel Trilling , American literary critic († 1975 )
- July 4th : Paul Schultz-Liebisch , German painter and graphic artist († 1996 )
- July 3 : Richard Corts , German athlete († 1974 )
- July 7th : Baldur Hönlinger , Austrian chess master († 1990 )
- July 7th : Hans-Joachim von Merkatz , German politician († 1982 )
- July 7th : Louis-Jean Guyot , Archbishop of Toulouse and Cardinal († 1988 )
- July 8 : Horst Biernath , German writer († 1978 )
- July 10 : Iva Anderson , American jazz singer († 1949 )
- July 10 : Lev Kassil , Russian writer and children's book author († 1970 )
- July 12 : Eduard Heilingsetzer , Austrian politician and minister († 1997 )
- July 12 : Prince John , youngest son of George V. († 1919 )
- July 13 : Bosley Crowther , American film critic († 1981 )
- July 14 : Isidro Maiztegui , Argentine composer († 1996 )
- July 14 : Kurt Zube , German author, publisher, editor († 1991 )
- July 17th : Abraham Patusca da Silveira , Brazilian soccer player († 1990 )
- July 17 : Edgar Snow , American journalist and China expert († 1972 )
- July 18 : Hugh Caulfield Hamilton , Northern Irish racing driver († 1934 )
- July 19 : Max Colpet , American writer, screenwriter and songwriter († 1998 )
- July 19 : Boyd Neel , English-Canadian conductor and music teacher († 1981 )
- July 20 : Harvey Perrin , Canadian violinist, violist, choir conductor and music teacher († 1999 )
- July 21 : David M. Kennedy , American politician († 1996 )
- July 21 : Miguel Mihura , Spanish writer († 1977 )
- July 22nd : Walter Auerbach , German politician and resistance fighter († 1975 )
- July 23 : Erich Itor Kahn , German musician († 1956 )
- July 23 : Leopold Engleitner , Austrian Nazi victim († 2013 )
- July 23 : Richard Angst , Swiss cameraman († 1984 )
- July 24th : Omobono Tenni , Italian motorcycle racer († 1948 )
- July 25 : Elias Canetti , German writer and Nobel Prize winner († 1994 )
- July 25 : Georges Grignard , French racing car driver († 1977 )
- July 27 : Wilhelm Adam , German politician and resistance fighter († 1991 )
- July 28 : Ehrhard Voigt , geologist and paleontologist († 2004 )
- July 29 : Clara Bow , American actress († 1965 )
- July 29 : Johann Cramer , German politician († 1987 )
- July 29th : Dag Hammarskjöld , Swedish politician, Secretary General of the UN († 1961 )
- July 30th : Franz Kremer , first president of 1. FC Köln († 1967 )
- August 1st : Miguel Prado Paz , Mexican composer († 1987 )
- August 2 : Karl Amadeus Hartmann , German composer († 1963 )
- August 2 : Myrna Loy , American actress († 1993 )
- August 2 : Rudolf Prack , Austrian actor († 1981 )
- August 3 : Dolores del Río , Mexican actress († 1983 )
- August 3 : Franz König , Cardinal, Archbishop of Vienna († 2004 )
- August 4 : Martin Gauger , lawyer who refused to take the oath of loyalty to Hitler († 1941 )
- August 5 : Wassily Leontief , Russian-American economist and Nobel Prize winner († 1999 )
- August 5 : Artyom Ivanovich Mikoyan , Soviet aircraft designer († 1970 )
- August 8 : André Jolivet , French composer († 1974 )
- August 8 : Carl Pflüger , German painter († 1998 )
- August 9 : Otto Schön , office manager of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the SED in the GDR († 1968 )
- August 10 : Nat Towles , American jazz bassist and band leader († 1963 )
- August 11 : Erwin Chargaff , American biochemist and writer († 2002 )
- August 11 : Kurt Gerstein , member of the hygiene institute of the Waffen-SS († 1945 )
- August 12 : Albrecht Köstlin , German agricultural economist and construction technologist († 1970 )
- August 12 : Hans Seigewasser , German politician († 1979 )
- August 12 : Hans Urs von Balthasar , Swiss Catholic theologian and cardinal († 1988 )
- August 13 : Franz Ziereis , German National Socialist and commander of the Mauthausen concentration camp († 1945 )
- August 14 : Raimund Weissensteiner , Austrian priest and composer († 1997 )
- August 15 : Joachim Mrugowsky , SS-Oberführer († 1948 )
- August 15 : Manfred von Brauchitsch , German automobile racing driver († 2003 )
- August 16 : Marian Rejewski , Polish mathematician and cryptologist († 1980 )
- August 16 : Germaine Rouault , French racing driver († 1982 )
- August 17th : Jorge Urrutia Blondel , Chilean composer († 1981 )
- August 17th : Ada Falcón , Argentine tango dancer, singer and film actress († 2002 )
- August 18 : Charles Clyde Ebbets , American photographer († 1978 )
- August 18 : Peter Kreuder , German composer, pianist and conductor († 1981 )
- August 20 : Jean Gebser , consciousness researcher († 1973 )
- August 20 : André Giriat , French rower († 1967 )
- August 20 : Clemens von Podewils , German journalist and writer († 1978 )
- August 20 : Jack Teagarden , early jazz trombonist († 1964 )
- August 22 : John Lyng , Norwegian Conservative politician († 1978 )
- August 23 : Constant Lambert , English composer († 1951 )
- August 23 : Phyllis King , British tennis player († 2006 )
- August 24 : Arthur Crudup , American blues musician († 1974 )
- August 24 : Hilary Minc , Polish economist and politician († 1974 )
- August 24 : Siaka Stevens , President of Sierra Leone († 1988 )
- August 25 : Marc Azéma , French racing car driver († 1954 )
- August 25 : Maria Faustyna Kowalska , Polish nun, mystic and saint († 1938 )
- August 25 : Wilhelm Ernst , German chess player († 1952 )
- August 25 : Harold Sumberg , Canadian violinist, conductor and music teacher († 1994 )
- August 27 : Heinz Liepmann , German writer and journalist († 1966 )
- August 27 : Paul Gehlhaar , German football player († 1968 )
- August 29 : Al Taliaferro , American comic artist († 1969 )
- August 29 : Hermann Berg , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1982 )
- August 30 : Alfred Abegg , Swiss politician († 2002 )
- August 31 : Robert Bacher , nuclear physicist and employee of the Manhattan Project († 2004 )
- August 31 : El Sayed Mohammed Nosseir , Egyptian weightlifter († 1977 )
- August 31 : Julio Meinvielle , Argentine writer and priest († 1973 )
- September 1 : Corrado Annicelli , Italian actor († 1984 )
- September 1 : Friedrich Ernst Hunsche , German writer, linguist, genealogist, local history researcher and archivist († 1994 )
- September 3 : Bruno Pittermann , Austrian politician († 1983 )
- September 3 : Carl David Anderson , American physicist († 1991 )
- September 3 : Meade Lux Lewis , American jazz musician († 1964 )
- September 3 : Wilhelm Kamlah , German musicologist, theologian and philosopher († 1976 )
- September 4 : Mary Renault , British writer († 1983 )
- September 4th : Walter Zapp , inventor of the miniature camera and the Minox brand († 2003 )
- September 5 : Arthur Koestler , British writer († 1983 )
- September 5 : Maurice Challe , French general († 1979 )
- September 5 : Willy Schneider , German folk singer († 1989 )
- September 5 : Todd Webb , American photographer († 2000 )
- September 6 : Alfred Burger , American chemist († 2000 )
- September 6 : Walther Müller , German physicist († 1979 )
- September 7 : Rogelio Martínez Díaz , Cuban guitarist and singer and band leader († 2001 )
- September 9 : Herbert Zerna , German-Sorbian theologian, pedagogue, local researcher and director († 1955 )
- September 10 : Eugène Aisberg , Russian-French science journalist († 1980 )
- September 10 : Juan José Arévalo , President of Guatemala († 1990 )
- September 10 : Robert Rompe , German physicist and politician († 1993 )
- September 11 : Francis Rome , British officer († 1985 )
- September 12 : Ali Amini , Persian politician († 1992 )
- September 12 : Helmut Körnig , German athlete († 1972 )
- September 13 : Leni Junker , German sprinter († 1997 )
- September 13 : Adolph Koldofsky , Canadian violinist († 1951 )
- September 15 : Pat O'Callaghan , Irish hammer thrower and Olympic champion († 1991 )
- September 17 : Hans Freudenthal , German mathematician († 1990 )
- September 18 : Eddie Rochester Anderson , American entertainer and actor († 1977 )
- September 18 : Greta Garbo , Swedish film actress († 1990 )
- September 18 : Reginald Godden , Canadian pianist and music teacher († 1987 )
- September 18 : Robert Kramreiter-Klein , Austrian architect († 1965 )
- September 18 : Wally "Gundel" Wittmann , German athlete and handball player († 1990 )
- September 19 : Judith Auer , resistance fighter against National Socialism († 1944 )
- September 19 : Theodor Blank , German politician († 1972 )
- September 19 : Giuseppe Cavanna , Italian football goalkeeper († 1976 )
- September 21 : Marguerite Roberts , American screenwriter († 1989 )
- September 22 : Louis Kukenheim , Dutch Romanist († 1972 )
- September 22nd : Eugen Sänger , Austrian engineer († 1964 )
- September 22 : Fritz Winter , German artist († 1976 )
- September 22nd : Marie Vierdag , Dutch swimmer († 2005 )
- September 24 : Severo Ochoa , Spanish-American biochemist († 1993 )
- September 25 : Mao Zetan , Chinese revolutionary, brother of Mao Zedong († 1935 )
- September 26 : Karl Rappan , Austrian soccer player and soccer coach († 1995 )
- September 26 : Max Bulla , Austrian cyclist († 1990 )
- September 27 : Ernst Baier , German figure skater († 2001 )
- September 27 : Francisco Cristancho Camargo , Colombian composer, arranger, trombonist, guitarist and orchestra leader († 1977 )
- September 29 : Josef Konrad Scheuber , Swiss clergyman and youth and folk writer († 1990 )
- September 30 : Nevill F. Mott , British physicist and Nobel Prize winner († 1996 )
- September 30th : Savitri Devi , National Socialist philosopher and writer († 1982 )
- October 1 : Alfons Goppel , German politician († 1991 )
- October 1 : Franz Seraph Reicheneder , German historian and local researcher († 1976 )
- October 2 : Enchi Fumiko , Japanese writer († 1986 )
- October 2 : Franjo Šeper , Archbishop of Zagreb and Cardinal († 1981 )
- October 2 : George Gibson , American football player († 2004 )
- October 2nd : Hemaiag Bedros XVII. Guedikian , Patriarch of Cilicia († 1998 )
- October 4 : Wolfgang Franz , German mathematician († 1996 )
- October 5 : Karl Gall , Austrian football player († 1943 )
- October 6 : Hans Beyer , German chemist († 1971 )
- October 6 : Helen Wills Moody , American tennis player († 1998 )
- October 6 : Wolfgang Liebeneiner , German actor and director († 1987 )
- October 8 : Eugen Bodart , German composer and conductor († 1981 )
- October 10 : Franz Augsberger , Austrian SS Brigade Leader, Major General of the Waffen SS († 1945 )
- October 10 : Wilhelm Beiglböck , internist, Nazi war criminal († 1963 )
- October 10 : Tanaka Chikao , Japanese playwright and theater director († 1995 )
- October 10 : Kurt Frör , German Protestant clergyman and university professor († 1980 )
- October 11 : Jean-Marie Villot , Cardinal and Camerlengo of the Catholic Church († 1979 )
- October 12 : Joseph Kosma , Austrian composer († 1969 )
- October 14 : Eugene Fodor , Hungarian-American writer and editor († 1991 )
- October 14 : Pentti Haanpää , Finnish writer († 1955 )
- October 15 : Ivan Eklind , Swedish football referee († 1981 )
- October 15 : Gustav Gerneth , German Supercentenarian († 2019 )
- October 15 : Raymond Klibansky , European-Canadian philosopher († 2005 )
- October 15 : Angelo Schiavio , Italian football player († 1990 )
- October 15 : CP Snow , English scientist and writer († 1980 )
- October 16 : Ernst Kuzorra , German football player († 1990 )
- October 17 : Franco Albini , Italian architect († 1977 )
- October 18 : Félix Houphouët-Boigny , first President of Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) († 1993 )
- October 18 : Willi Laatsch , German soil and forest scientist († 1997 )
- October 18 : Josef Ponn , German cross-country skier
- October 19 : Richard Zöller , German lawyer († 1961 )
- October 20 : Karl Fabel , German chess problem composer († 1975 )
- October 21 : Arnold Verhoeven , German politician and Member of the Bundestag († 1998 )
- October 21 : August Holweg , German politician († 1989 )
- October 21 : Filip Semjonowitsch Bondarenko , Ukrainian chess problem composer († 1993 )
- October 22nd : Manuel "Nolo" Ferreira , Argentinian soccer player († 1983 )
- October 22 : Paul Arma , French composer, ethnomusicologist and pianist († 1987 )
- October 22 : Karl Guthe Jansky , American physicist and radio engineer († 1950 )
- October 23 : Felix Bloch , Swiss-American physicist († 1983 )
- October 23 : Norah Lange , Argentine writer († 1972 )
- October 23 : Gertrude Ederle , first woman to swim the English Channel († 2003 )
- October 24 : Otto Abel , German hymn composer († 1977 )
- October 26 : George Bernard Flahiff , Archbishop of Winnipeg and Cardinal († 1989 )
- October 28 : Hugo Paul , German politician († 1962 )
- October 29 : Berthold Wolpe , German typographer and teacher († 1989 )
- October 30 : Christian Darnton , English composer († 1981 )
- October 30 : Bohumír Štědroň , Czech musicologist and pianist († 1982 )
- October 31 : Harry Harlow , American psychologist and behavioral scientist († 1981 )
- November 1 : Paul-Émile Borduas , Canadian painter († 1960 )
- November 1 : Aldo Fabrizi , Italian film actor and director († 1990 )
- November 2 : Colin Clark (economist) , British-Australian economist († 1989 )
- November 2 : Georges Schehadé , Lebanese poet and playwright († 1989 )
- November 3 : Joseph H. Ball , American politician († 1993 )
- November 5 : Lotte Betke , German actress and writer († 2008 )
- November 5 : Joel McCrea , American actor († 1990 )
- November 5 : Louis Rosier , French Formula 1 and sports car racing driver († 1956 )
- November 5 : Dmitri Shepilov , Soviet politician († 1995 )
- November 6th : Walter Hase , German forester and non-fiction author († 2007 )
- November 7th : William Alwyn , English composer († 1985 )
- November 7th : Berthold Haupt , printer, fighter against National Socialism († 1933 )
- November 8th : Alfred Führer , German organ builder († 1974 )
- November 8 : Lucy Millowitsch , German actress and theater director († 1990 )
- November 8 : Marco Aurelio Robles Méndez , Panamanian President († 1990 )
- November 9 : Friedrich Arndt , German puppeteer († 1985 )
- November 9 : Erika Mann , German actress and writer († 1969 )
- November 10 : Kurt Eggers , German writer and Nazi cultural politician († 1943 )
- November 10 : Louis Harold Gray , British physicist and radiologist († 1965 )
- November 12 : Jacques Savoye , French entrepreneur and racing car driver († 1998 )
- November 14 : Giordano Aldrighetti , Italian motorcycle and automobile racing driver († 1939 )
- November 14 : August Wenzinger , Swiss cellist, gambist, music teacher and conductor († 1996 )
- November 15 : Michael Arneth , German theologian and teacher († 1995 )
- November 15 : Hara Tamiki , Japanese writer († 1951 )
- November 15 : Annunzio Mantovani , Italian orchestra leader († 1980 )
- November 16 : Ettore Cunial , Archbishop and Vice-Camerlengo of the Roman Curia. († 2005 )
- November 16 : Eddie Condon , American guitarist († 1973 )
- November 17 : Mischa Auer , American film and stage actor († 1967 )
- November 17 : Astrid of Sweden , Princess of Sweden († 1935 )
- November 18 : Lothar von Heinemann , German general († 1997 )
- November 19 : Eleanor Audley , American actress and voice actress († 1991 )
- November 19 : Tommy Dorsey , American jazz musician († 1956 )
- November 19 : Henri Frenay , French politician, member of the Resistance († 1988 )
- November 19 : Isaac Kashdan , American grandmaster and author in chess († 1985 )
- November 20 : Johann Ohde , German civil engineer († 1953 )
- November 20 : Friedl Rinder , German chess player († 2001 )
- November 22 : Robert Choquette , Canadian writer and diplomat († 1991 )
- November 22nd : Karl Mocker , German politician († 1996 )
- November 23 : Erich Langer , German politician († 1958 )
- November 27 : Eberhard Arlt , German functionary († 1972 )
- November 27 : Afonso Arinos de Melo Franco , Brazilian lawyer, politician, historian, teacher, essayist and critic († 1990 )
- November 28 : Hans Kloss , Austrian bank director († 1986 )
- November 29 : Marcel Lefebvre , Catholic theologian and church politician († 1991 )
- November 29th : Willi Stech , German pianist, band leader and composer († 1979 )
- November 30th : Elfe Schneider , German actress, voice actress and photographer († 1970 )
- December 1 : Charles Van Riper , American speech therapist († 1994 )
- December 1 : Clarence Melvin Zener , American physicist († 1993 )
- December 2 : Francisco Amicarelli , Argentine pianist and music teacher († 1981 )
- December 2 : Moses Asch , American record producer († 1986 )
- December 2 : Osvaldo Pugliese , Argentine musician († 1995 )
- December 3 : Julius Speer , German forest scientist († 1984 )
- December 4 : Antonio Samorè , Roman Catholic Cardinal († 1983 )
- December 4 : Emílio Garrastazu Médici , Brazilian President († 1985 )
- December 5 : Mohammed Abdullah , Indian politician of Kashmir († 1982 )
- December 5 : Otto Preminger , American director and film producer († 1986 )
- December 5 : Franz Schubert , German politician († 1992 )
- December 6th : Rudi Annex , German musician († 1998 )
- December 7th : Gerard Peter Kuiper , American astronomer († 1973 )
- December 8 : Alfred Balthoff , German actor and voice actor († 1989 )
- December 8 : Frank Faylen , American actor († 1985 )
- December 8 : Ernst Hermann Meyer , German composer, musicologist († 1988 )
- December 9 : Luke Johnsos , American football player and coach († 1984 )
- December 9 : Dalton Trumbo , American screenwriter and novelist († 1976 )
- December 9 : Emanuel Sperner , German mathematician († 1980 )
- December 10 : Heinrich Amersdorffer , German painter, graphic artist and art educator († 1986 )
- December 11th : Ludwig Engels , German chess master († 1967 )
- December 11 : Erskine Hamilton Childers , Irish President († 1974 )
- December 12 : Karl Polak , lawyer and politician of the GDR († 1963 )
- December 12 : Manès Sperber , Austro-French writer and philosopher († 1984 )
- December 12th : Mulk Raj Anand , Indian novelist and short story writer († 2004 )
- December 13 : Guido Calgari , Swiss politician, university professor and writer († 1969 )
- December 15 : Ferenc Farkas , Hungarian composer († 2000 )
- December 16 : Piet Hein , Danish scientist († 1996 )
- December 17 : Gilbert Auvergne , French sprinter and football player († 1976 )
- December 17 : Jan Valtin , German communist and writer († 1951 )
- December 18 : Hans Bernd von Haeften , German lawyer and resistance fighter († 1944 )
- December 19 : Irving Kahn , American financial analyst († 2015 )
- December 19 : Giovanni Lurani , Italian automobile designer and racing driver († 1995 )
- December 20 : Daisy Spies , dancer and choreographer († 2000 )
- December 21 : Bernhard Ahrens , German politician († 1978 )
- December 22nd : Pierre Brasseur , French actor († 1972 )
- December 22nd : Art Christmas , Canadian bandleader, saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist († 1961 )
- December 22nd : Pierre Levegh , French racing car driver († 1955 )
- December 23 : Amédée Borsari , French composer († 1999 )
- December 23 : Georg Euler , German football player († 1998 )
- December 23 : Joe Kopcha , American football player and surgeon († 1986 )
- December 24th : Hans Geiger , German soccer player († 1991 )
- December 24th : Hendrik Wade Bode , American electrical engineer († 1982 )
- December 24 : Howard Hughes , American entrepreneur and aviation pioneer († 1976 )
- December 25 : Anton Ackermann , SED functionary and candidate of the Politburo of the SED Central Committee († 1973 )
- December 25 : Max Aronoff , American violist and music teacher († 1981 )
- December 25 : Sergio Guerri , Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1992 )
- December 26 : Anfilogino Guarisi , Brazilian-Italian football player († 1974 )
- December 26th : Mario Varglien , Italian football player and coach († 1978 )
- December 27th : Antonio Brivio , Italian racing driver, bobsleigh driver and motorsport official († 1995 )
- December 27 : Paul Krause , German politician († 1950 )
- December 28 : Oscar Andriani , Italian actor († 1987 )
- December 28 : Fulvio Bernardini , Italian football player and coach († 1984 )
- December 30th : Daniil Charms , Russian writer († 1942 )
- December 31 : Frank Barufski , German actor, radio play speaker and presenter († 1991 )
- December 31 : Guy Mollet , French politician († 1975 )
- December 31 : Rudolf Ruscheweyh , Dutch-Liechtenstein arms dealer, secret service employee and party donor († 1954 )
- December 31 : Jule Styne , American composer († 1994 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Əyyub Abbasov , Azerbaijani writer († 1957 )
- Meyer Grabovsky , Israeli politician († 1963 )
- Ed Bell , also Sluefoot Joe or Barefoot Bill, American blues musician († 1960 )
- Harry Domela , German impostor, author and Spain fighter († 1978 )
- Muhammad Zakaria Goneim , Egyptian Egyptologist († 1959 )
- Ernst von Halle , German automobile racing driver († 1928 )
- Wilhelm Kelch , German politician (SPD), († 1991 )
- Werner Huth , German bobsleigh and motorcycle racer
- Lionel Parent , Canadian singer and composer († 1980 )
- Carleton Sprague Smith , American musicologist and cultural scientist, librarian, university professor and flautist († 1994 )
- Werner Stief , German folklorist († 1982 )
- Mario Tadini , Italian entrepreneur and racing car driver († 1983 )
- Gul Mohammed Zhowandai , Afghan poet and writer († 1988 )
- January 3 : Anton Braith , German animal and landscape painter (* 1836 )
- January 4th : Paul Pierre Henry , French optician and astronomer (* 1848 )
- January 4th : Heinrich von Nauendorf , German officer (* 1860 )
- January 5 : William Claflin , American politician (* 1818 )
- January 5 : Rudolf Koller , Swiss painter (* 1828 )
- January 7th : Paul Cérésole , Swiss politician (* 1832 )
- January 8 : Lloyd Lowndes , American politician (* 1845 )
- January 9th : Louise Michel , French anarchist (* 1830 )
- January 14th : Ernst Abbe , German astronomer, mathematician, physicist and social reformer (* 1840 )
- January 17 : Philipp Victor Achilles Andreae , German geologist and paleontologist (* 1859 )
- January 19 : Benjamin F. Rice , American politician (* 1828 )
- January 26 : Johann Baptist Schneider , vicar general, auxiliary bishop (* 1840 )
- January 29 : Heinrich Adam , German-Austrian architect and Viennese councilor (* 1839 )
- January 29 : Hermann Landois , German zoology professor (* 1835 )
- January 30th : Eduard Ebel , German Protestant pastor and poet (* 1839 )
- January 31 : José Reyes , Dominican composer and musician (* 1835 )
- February 1 : Oswald Achenbach , German painter (* 1827 )
- February 1st : Heinrich Lanz , manufacturer of agricultural machinery, locomobiles and tractors (* 1838 )
- February 2 : Adolf Bastian , German ethnologist (* 1826 )
- February 7th : Thomas Adams , American inventor (* 1818 )
- February 9 : Adolph von Menzel , German painter and graphic artist (* 1815 )
- February 11 : Otto Erich Hartleben , German playwright, poet and narrator (* 1864 )
- February 13 : Wilhelm Gurlitt , German archaeologist (* 1844 )
- February 15 : Lew Wallace , American military, politician and writer (* 1827 )
- February 23 : Jonathan Ross , American politician (* 1826 )
- February 24 : Robert Austin , English explorer and engineer (* 1825 )
- February 27 : George S. Boutwell , American politician (* 1818 )
- March 1 : Edward O. Wolcott , American politician (* 1848 )
- March 9 : Nikolai Karl Adolf Anderson , German-Baltic philologist (* 1845 )
- March 9 : William B. Bate , American politician and major general in the Confederate Army (* 1826 )
- March 12 : Rudolf von Alt , Austrian landscape and architecture painter (* 1812 )
- March 13 : Franz Gustav Arndt , German landscape and genre painter (* 1842 )
- March 15 : Meyer Guggenheim , Swiss-American industrialist (* 1828 )
- March 18 : Joseph Roswell Hawley , American politician and governor (* 1826 )
- March 21 : Heinrich Bohner , German Protestant missionary (* 1842 )
- March 24th : Henny Jebsen , German flower and landscape painter (* 1851 )
- April 4 : Constantin Meunier , Belgian sculptor and painter (* 1831 )
- April 4 : Paul von Winterfeld , German classical philologist (* 1872 )
- April 7 : Robert de Bonnières , French writer (* 1850 )
- April 8 : Cullen Andrews Battle , Confederate Brigadier General (* 1829 )
- April 10 : Martin Garlieb Amsinck , German shipbuilder and shipowner (* 1831 )
- April 14 : Halbert E. Paine , American politician and general (* 1826 )
- April 16 : Otto Wilhelm von Struve , German astronomer who worked in Russia (* 1819 )
- April 21 : William Wallace Armstrong , American printer, editor and politician (* 1833 )
- April 21 : Orville H. Platt , American politician (* 1827 )
- April 27 : Alvin Hawkins , American politician (* 1821 )
- April 28th : Andrea Aiuti , Italian Curia Cardinal (* 1849 )
- May 14 : Thomas James Churchill , American politician (* 1824 )
- May 15 : John Baptiste Calkin , English composer, organist and music teacher (* 1827 )
- May 18 : Henrik Jørgen Huitfeldt-Kaas , Norwegian archivist, heraldist and genealogist (* 1834 )
- May 21 : Émile Jonas , French composer and cantor (* 1827 )
- May 24th : Erich Giersberg , German firefighter and inventor (* 1854 )
- May 28 : Friedrich Junge , German biologist (* 1832 )
- May 28 : Balduin Möllhausen , German traveler and writer (* 1825 )
- May 30 : Albert Ellmenreich , German actor and writer (* 1816 )
- May 31 : Emil Arnoldt , German philosopher and private scholar (* 1828 )
- May 31 : Franz Joseph Strauss , German horn player and composer (* 1822 )
- June 1 : Johann Heinrich Lahmann , German doctor and natural healer (* 1860 )
- June 3 : Hudson Taylor , Christian missionary in China (* 1832 )
- June 4th : Edme Armand Gaston duc d'Audiffret-Pasquier , French politician (* 1823 )
- June 4th : Orla Rosenhoff , Danish composer and music teacher (* 1844 )
- June 8 : Kurt Wachsmuth , German philologist (* 1837 )
- June 15 : Carl Wernicke , German psychiatrist (* 1848 )
- June 15 : Hermann von Wissmann , Reich Commissioner and Governor in German East Africa (* 1853 )
- June 16 : Johann Gottfried Steffan , Swiss landscape painter (* 1815 )
- June 17th : Máximo Gómez , Cuban general of the Wars of Independence from 1868 to 1898 (* 1836 )
- June 18 : Carmine Crocco , Italian brigand (* 1830 )
- June 18 : Hermann Lingg , German poet (* 1820 )
- June 22nd : Francis Lubbock , American politician (* 1815 )
- June 25 : Sir Augustus Charles Gregory , Australian explorer (* 1819 )
- June 26 : Franz Overbeck , German theologian (* 1837 )
- June 30th : Friedrich Ladegast , German organ builder (* 1818 )
- July 4th : Élisée Reclus , French geographer and anarchist (* 1830 )
- July 5 : Friedrich Gerber , Swiss Protestant clergyman and educator (* 1828 )
- July 6th : Anton Burger , German painter, draftsman and etcher (* 1824 )
- July 7 : Wilbur F. Sanders , American politician (* 1834 )
- July 11 : Muhammad Abduh , Islamic reformer (* 1849 )
- July 12 : Jørgen Malling , Danish composer (* 1836 )
- July 15 : Eduard Leonhardi , German landscape painter (* 1828 )
- July 16 : Mauro Fernández Acuña , Costa Rican Minister for Public Education and Bank Director (* 1843 )
- July 16 : Wilhelm Storck , German Germanist, Romanist and translator (* 1829 )
- July 23 : Daniel Scott Lamont , American politician (* 1851 )
- July 24th : Adolf Cluss , German-American architect (* 1825 )
- July 29th : Agnes Marshall , English cook, author and inventor (* 1855 )
- August 5 : Julius Stinde , German chemist, journalist and writer (* 1841 )
- August 10 : Georges Nagelmackers , Belgian entrepreneur, initiator of the Orient Express (* 1845 )
- August 19 : William Adolphe Bouguereau , French painter (* 1825 )
- August 20 : Heinrich Bulthaupt , German author (* 1849 )
- August 20 : Franz Reuleaux , German engineer (* 1829 )
- August 27 : Amalia del Pilar de Borbón , Infanta of Spain (* 1834 )
- August 28 : Ioannis Apostolou , Greek tenor (* 1860 / 1863 )
- September 9th : Heinrich Gassner , Lord Mayor of Mainz (* 1847 )
- September 11th : Jules Arnous de Rivière , French chess player (* 1830 )
- September 14th : Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza , French explorer of Africa (* 1852 )
- September 15 : Julio Ituarte , Mexican composer (* 1845 )
- September 18 : Willy Schmitter , German racing cyclist (* 1884 )
- September 19 : Thomas John Barnardo , Irish-British benefactor (* 1845 )
- September 19 : Jānis Līcis , Latvian priest and Orthodox martyr (* 1832 )
- September 22nd : Henry Howard , American politician (* 1826 )
- September 22nd : Charles Triplett O'Ferrall , American politician (* 1840 )
- September 23 : Karl Schilling , German-Baltic pastor and Protestant martyr (* 1865 )
- Ferdinando Bonamici , Italian composer and music teacher (* 1827 ) September:
- October 5 : Carlos Walker Martínez , Chilean author and politician (* 1842 )
- October 6 : Charles Brown , English machine designer (* 1827 )
- October 6 : Ferdinand von Richthofen , German geographer and explorer (* 1833 )
- October 7 : Pedro Américo , Brazilian painter (* 1843 )
- October 8 : Johann Gottlieb Schoch , German garden architect and garden director (* 1853 )
- October 17 : Franz Fauth , German educator (* 1841 )
- October 21 : Hermann Usener , German classical philologist and religious scholar (* 1834 )
- October 29 : Hendrik Witbooi , Namibian captain (* 1824 )
- October 30 : Jules Danbé , French conductor and violinist (* 1840 )
- November 2 : Horace Austin , American politician (* 1831 )
- November 2 : Rudolf Albert (von) Kölliker , Swiss anatomist and physiologist (* 1817 )
- November 4 : Clara Müller-Jahnke , German poet, journalist and women's rights activist (* 1860 )
- November 7th : Florence Dixie , British traveler and writer (* 1855 )
- November 8th : Max Aronheim , German lawyer and entrepreneur (* 1849 )
- November 14th : Robert Whitehead , British engineer and designer (* 1823 )
- November 17 : Adolph I , Duke of Nassau and Grand Duke of Luxembourg (* 1817 )
- November 22nd : Carl Friedrich Heinrich von Arnim , German lawyer and administrative officer (* 1831 )
- November 30th : Clementine Abel , German writer (* 1826 )
- December 9 : Henry Holmes , English composer, violinist and music teacher (* 1839 )
- December 11th : Paul Meurice , French writer (* 1818 )
- December 12th : William Sharp ("Fiona Macleod"), Scottish writer (* 1855 )
- December 13 : Anna Maria Rosalia Ferdinande Countess von der Asseburg , German noblewoman (* 1830 )
- December 19 : John A. Burbank , American politician (* 1827 )
- http://www.dhm.de/lemo/html/1905/ (Living virtual museum online)