Lemmnitz, son of a waiter and a farm worker, trained as a typesetter and studied economics at the University of Leipzig . From 1927 to 1931 he was a member of the SPD and youth leader of the socialist youth workers in Moers . In 1931 he joined the KPD and became head of the subdistrict of the Communist Youth Association of Germany in Duisburg-Hamborn . In 1933 he worked illegally for the KPD and was in " protective custody " several times . From October 1933 to 1936 he was in the Börgermoor and Esterwegen concentration camps and in custody in Duisburg until 1937. He was sentenced to one year and nine months in prison by the People's Court , released and expelled from the Ruhr area. In April he emigrated to the Netherlands , where he was a member of the KPD leadership in Amsterdam . After the Wehrmacht invaded the Netherlands, he was arrested again and sentenced to ten years in prison by the People's Court in 1941 . Until April 1945 he was a prisoner in the Brandenburg prison .
After his liberation he went to Berlin and in June 1945 became a district councilor for popular education in the Berlin-Spandau district administration. He joined the SED in 1946, resumed his studies and received his doctorate in 1948 at the University of Leipzig. From 1948 to 1953 he was head of the chair for political economy at the party college , then until 1955 professor for political economy and dean of the economics faculty of the University of Rostock , until 1956 rector of the college for finance in Potsdam - Babelsberg , which then in the college for economics Berlin rose, whose rector Lemmnitz was until August 1958. Then he was Deputy State Secretary for Higher and Technical Schools in the GDR. From December 8, 1958 to November 14, 1963, he succeeded Fritz Lange as Minister for Public Education. At the same time he was a member of the Ideological Commission at the Politburo of the Central Committee of the SED . From 1963 to 1965 he was a research assistant at the Economic Institute of the Academy of Sciences , until 1971 deputy director of the German Economic Institute and then an employee of the Institute for International Politics and Economy. Lemmnitz was a member of the SED district leadership in Berlin and the central leadership of the committee of anti-fascist resistance fighters of the GDR .
He found his final resting place in a Pankow cemetery .
- 1958 medal for fighters against fascism 1933 to 1945
- 1958 National Prize of the GDR III. class
- 1959 and 1970 Patriotic Order of Merit
- 1975 Gold medal for the Patriotic Order of Merit
- 1980 Karl Marx Order
- 1985 Gold Star of Friendship of Nations
- Capitalist or socialist agrarian economy. A scientific controversy about the teachings of Johann Heinrich von Thünens . German Science Publishing House, Berlin 1956.
- Start and balance. Memories. Dietz Verlag, Berlin 1985.
- with Heinz Schäfer: Political Economy of Capitalism - Introduction , Frankfurt / Main 1972.
- Andreas Herbst , Helmut Müller-Enbergs : . In: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 1. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 .
- Claus-Dieter Krohn: Lemmnitz, Alfred. In: Harald Hagemann , Claus-Dieter Krohn (Hrsg.): Biographical manual of the German-speaking economic emigration after 1933. Volume 2: Leichter branch. Saur, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-598-11284-X , p. 370.
- Werner Röder, Herbert A. Strauss (Hrsg.): Biographical manual of the German-speaking emigration after 1933. Volume 1: Politics, economy, public life . Munich: Saur, 1980, p. 430f.
- Literature by and about Alfred Lemmnitz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Alfred Lemmnitz in the German Digital Library
- Entry on Alfred Lemmnitz in the Catalogus Professorum Rostochiensium
- Congratulations on your 80th birthday, Neues Deutschland , June 27, 1985, p. 2.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Minister for Popular Education (GDR)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 27, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Taucha|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 23, 1994|
|Place of death||Berlin-Pankow|